PGD Recommendation Thread - Post "What game do I buy?" questions here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by MikeRobe867 (11 posts) -
Well as far as free-roaming games go, Just Cause 2 is your best bet. Fun, replayable, and lots of explosions ;-)
#102 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
My parents are giving me 150 bucks to spend on games, which means i can get any game I want! So, I like RPGs, like fallout and mass effect. I am looking at either getting dragon age 2, or getting dragon age one with all the expansions, or i might get fable 3. What do you think I should get? Here is the criteria; Xbox 360 obviously Rpg Good story Good combat Open world Preferably fantasy 60+ hours to complete Kudos to anyone who is cool enough to post TheWanderer123
start with dragon age origins
#103 Posted by kenken2g (912 posts) -

What's up guys. I held off on buying these maps for a while now but I'm just pretty much tired of playing the same maps over and over. For people that own the DLC to Black Ops would you say it's worth buying? Do you regret buying it or do you like the maps better than the maps with the game? Any thoughts before I buy some MS points lol?

#104 Posted by flexin007 (739 posts) -

Are NFS HP and Castlevania LOS rent or buy worthy?

#105 Posted by GREENDAYRB (3 posts) -
anyone play green day rock band on wii?
#106 Posted by lincolnosiris (14 posts) -

[QUOTE="lincolnosiris"]kool thx man! i love the comics n all but dun rlly wanna play as 4 different spidermen is the gameplay similar between the two?AleksandarTale

Like i said, in Shattered Dimensions, you play as 4 diffrent Spideys, so thats for different playstiles. The Noir part is more stealh oriented, Amazing Spider - Man is more focused on ranged web attacks, in 2099 Spidey mostly jumps around and defeats enemies with acrobatics and in Ultimate Spider - Man you're in control of the symbiote suit, and this part is focused on brutal melee combat.

Web of Shadows isn't like the other Marvel games, it has a few RPG elements. There are lots of choices to make during the game that will affect the story later. There are many other Marvel heroes and villians ( Black Cat, Wolverine, Vulture, Moon Knight ) that you can fight against or side with. The story is much more cooler and you get to choose if you're gonna be a hero, and people will chear your name or something of a bada**. Then people will run away from you.

So like i said before i recommend Web of Shadows.

thx man i picked of web of shadows the other day and i rlly enjoy it! its a pretty long game too and im still working through it lol
#107 Posted by Aberrant_Cow (4 posts) -
I grew up using a SEGA, Playstaion and PS2 but I was wondering what console you guys would recommend to buy? (I'm leaning towards an X-Box 360 honestly because its cheaper than a PS3. My family already has a Wii buuuut I can't really get into it) and what games are good for someone re-joining the virtual world? (Number 1 on my list is Batman: Arkham Asylum, being that I'm a big Bat-fan.) ~I put additional info here because not everyone is interested in my life story~ -I grew up around video games in my childhood and played a few from time to time but never quite delved into the Gamer's 'Culture.' A lot of my friends are gamers so I'm usually up to date with what's popular and/or interesting. I mean...I watched a friend play the entire MGS 3 while I sat idly by eating Cheetos, mouth agape, so needless to say that I've always liked video games. I'm 21 and am taking some time off from school. I work two jobs but my free time seems to be lacking, I've been reading Jane Mcgonigal's 'Reality is Broken,' which is all about how applying the construct of games to real-world situations and problems can improve our lives, so I've become interested in pursuing that idea personally and academically. But recently I realized that I first should actually start playing a few video games.
#108 Posted by Rhino53 (2551 posts) -

I grew up using a SEGA, Playstaion and PS2 but I was wondering what console you guys would recommend to buy? (I'm leaning towards an X-Box 360 honestly because its cheaper than a PS3. My family already has a Wii buuuut I can't really get into it) and what games are good for someone re-joining the virtual world? (Number 1 on my list is Batman: Arkham Asylum, being that I'm a big Bat-fan.) ~I put additional info here because not everyone is interested in my life story~ -I grew up around video games in my childhood and played a few from time to time but never quite delved into the Gamer's 'Culture.' A lot of my friends are gamers so I'm usually up to date with what's popular and/or interesting. I mean...I watched a friend play the entire MGS 3 while I sat idly by eating Cheetos, mouth agape, so needless to say that I've always liked video games. I'm 21 and am taking some time off from school. I work two jobs but my free time seems to be lacking, I've been reading Jane Mcgonigal's 'Reality is Broken,' which is all about how applying the construct of games to real-world situations and problems can improve our lives, so I've become interested in pursuing that idea personally and academically. But recently I realized that I first should actually start playing a few video games.Aberrant_Cow

Other than Batman, what kind of games do you normally like?

#110 Posted by Aberrant_Cow (4 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aberrant_Cow"]I grew up using a SEGA, Playstaion and PS2 but I was wondering what console you guys would recommend to buy? (I'm leaning towards an X-Box 360 honestly because its cheaper than a PS3. My family already has a Wii buuuut I can't really get into it) and what games are good for someone re-joining the virtual world? (Number 1 on my list is Batman: Arkham Asylum, being that I'm a big Bat-fan.) ~I put additional info here because not everyone is interested in my life story~ -I grew up around video games in my childhood and played a few from time to time but never quite delved into the Gamer's 'Culture.' A lot of my friends are gamers so I'm usually up to date with what's popular and/or interesting. I mean...I watched a friend play the entire MGS 3 while I sat idly by eating Cheetos, mouth agape, so needless to say that I've always liked video games. I'm 21 and am taking some time off from school. I work two jobs but my free time seems to be lacking, I've been reading Jane Mcgonigal's 'Reality is Broken,' which is all about how applying the construct of games to real-world situations and problems can improve our lives, so I've become interested in pursuing that idea personally and academically. But recently I realized that I first should actually start playing a few video games.Rhino53

Other than Batman, what kind of games do you normally like?

Pretty much anything, I'm looking for all types of suggestions. I've always loved shooter and fighting games though.
#111 Posted by mariomaster16 (762 posts) -

I was thinking about getting a simple RPG for my laptop. I'm not looking for anything big like Oblivion, I have that for my desktop back home. I'm just wondering if what anyone thinks about Torchlight. It looks like a lot of fun; I really enjoyed Fate back in the day and this looks similar. Also, I was looking at Fate: Undiscovered Realms and Traitor Soul. Which would be a more worthwhile buy?

#112 Posted by smalls5 (102 posts) -

The only games I know for sure I'm getting this year are:

NFS Shift 2: Unleashed

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Is there anything awesome that I'm missing and should look at? I know theres a ton more coming out and I'll probably get about five or six more than these.

Which ones look the best?

#113 Posted by smalls5 (102 posts) -

I own an Xbox 360 and a PC btw

#114 Posted by mariomaster16 (762 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

Is there anything awesome that I'm missing and should look at? I know theres a ton more coming out and I'll probably get about five or six more than these.

smalls5

Brink comes out this September I believe. It looks pretty awesome. Also Arkham City is going to be amazing judging by what I've seen so far.

#115 Posted by Omega1k (148 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

smalls5

Portal 2 is coming out in April, if you're a Valve fan.

#118 Posted by ShadowStorm40 (8 posts) -

What's up guys. I held off on buying these maps for a while now but I'm just pretty much tired of playing the same maps over and over. For people that own the DLC to Black Ops would you say it's worth buying? Do you regret buying it or do you like the maps better than the maps with the game? Any thoughts before I buy some MS points lol?

kenken2g
If you *really* like zombies, you might want to buy it just for that. I thought Ascension was absolutely awesome. As for the multiplayer maps, I don't have good enough internet or Xbox Live Gold, but based on fighting the bots I'd give the maps a 7 or 8 out of 10, overall. So yeah, I thought it was worth it.
#119 Posted by kenken2g (912 posts) -

thanks so much for your reply man. Really appreciate it

#120 Posted by TehOverkill (754 posts) -

Had a memory lapse and asked for a game recommendation in the boards, not this thread. So ashamed.

In any case, here's what I posted:

Hi, I've recently decided to start playing an online competitive game, and to stray a bit from FPS's/Shooters, picked the genre popularized with DotA (I don't know the name of the genre, enlighten me if you do). I'm curious regarding one thing: which of the three major DotA-style games is the best?

The way I see it, DotA has the largest hero repertoire, but only has one map and is essentially just a mod. for Warcraft 3 -- aka: it looks outdated. Heroes of Newerth is essentially a DotA 2.0, though I haven't had much experience with it to opinate, and League of Legends is the best-looking of the three, but with a shy cast of heroes (although ever-increasing). My doubt is, which is the best? Which is more balanced, has better online, a better community, better stat. tracking (iirc DotA didn't have stat. tracking, and I like online games that do it), better graphics, etc.?

Thanks.

#121 Posted by Ravirr (7931 posts) -

Had a memory lapse and asked for a game recommendation in the boards, not this thread. So ashamed.

In any case, here's what I posted:

Hi, I've recently decided to start playing an online competitive game, and to stray a bit from FPS's/Shooters, picked the genre popularized with DotA (I don't know the name of the genre, enlighten me if you do). I'm curious regarding one thing: which of the three major DotA-style games is the best?

The way I see it, DotA has the largest hero repertoire, but only has one map and is essentially just a mod. for Warcraft 3 -- aka: it looks outdated. Heroes of Newerth is essentially a DotA 2.0, though I haven't had much experience with it to opinate, and League of Legends is the best-looking of the three, but with a shy cast of heroes (although ever-increasing). My doubt is, which is the best? Which is more balanced, has better online, a better community, better stat. tracking (iirc DotA didn't have stat. tracking, and I like online games that do it), better graphics, etc.?

Thanks.

TehOverkill

Dota has plenty of Leagues and custom stat tracking things run by various servers and what not. Probably the most challenging of the bunch, but it will be difficult to get into. Learning the basics of the game is very difficult, and you will probably be told to quit or go kill yourself on a regular basis even if you are good at the game.

Hon took some of the Dota community the game is faster paced, than dota so it felt very different for me. From my experince with it. Its Dota with some better UI changes and better match making. Though I did not like the item shop set up I found it very confusing.Community ranges from ok to bad, mainly on the bad side.

League of Legends is what I have settld with as I don't care to be overly competitve. Its the most casual friendly(easy to understand difficult to master type thing) but requires the same basics that all the others require, minus the concept of creep denial. The community is probably the best of all the MOBA games but that isn't saying much as DOTA and Hon have the worst communities in exsistence.

Hope this helps, message me if you have any other questions.

#122 Posted by ExcessGiraffe (7 posts) -
Hey, I am a big FPS fan, and as mad as it sounds, I prefer the campaigns. So basically, I am looking for a good FPS with a long campaign. I have all the COD's since MW1 and the Medal Of Honour reboot, and as fun as they were, I can take the campaign in one sitting, and since I no longer have Xbox LIVE, the online aspect is negligible. Also, I prefer realistic shooters with real weapons etc. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :)
#123 Posted by zhivago_x (412 posts) -

I was thinking about getting a simple RPG for my laptop. I'm not looking for anything big like Oblivion, I have that for my desktop back home. I'm just wondering if what anyone thinks about Torchlight. It looks like a lot of fun; I really enjoyed Fate back in the day and this looks similar. Also, I was looking at Fate: Undiscovered Realms and Traitor Soul. Which would be a more worthwhile buy?

mariomaster16

I liked Torchlight, it is a fun Hack & Slash game, if you liked Fate you are probably going to like this one as well. The one RPG that I always keep installed on my laptop is Icewind Dale + expansions.

#124 Posted by mariomaster16 (762 posts) -

[QUOTE="mariomaster16"]

zhivago_x

I liked Torchlight, it is a fun Hack & Slash game, if you liked Fate you are probably going to like this one as well. The one RPG that I always keep installed on my laptop is Icewind Dale + expansions.

Is Icewind Dale D&D? cuz i know absolutlely nothing about that. I tried playing Shadows of amn, and suck horribly at it.

#125 Posted by zhivago_x (412 posts) -

[QUOTE="zhivago_x"]

[QUOTE="mariomaster16"]

mariomaster16

Is Icewind Dale D&D? cuz i know absolutlely nothing about that. I tried playing Shadows of amn, and suck horribly at it.

Yeah, it's AD&D, same engine as Shadows of Amn but a much more relaxed game. You create all six members in the beginning of game, it is hack & slash heavy and has in my opinion one of the best game soundtracks ever.
#126 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
[QUOTE="smalls5"]

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

did you ever play dragon age origins and liked it? If so, DA2 is fun, Rage looks good as well
#127 Posted by zhivago_x (412 posts) -
[QUOTE="KeredsBlaze"][QUOTE="smalls5"]

Mass Effect 3

Gears of War 3

did you ever play dragon age origins and liked it? If so, DA2 is fun, Rage looks good as well

I played and liked DA:O and that is why i didn't like Dragon Age 2, played it at a friend and I don't consider it a good RPG to begin with so if he liked DA:O there is a high chance of not liking the sequel. Apparently I am not lonely in my dislike of DA2,. Rage however looks good.
#129 Posted by allthatdown (1227 posts) -

I'v been thinking of picking up Metal Gear Solid 4 but would anyone strongly recommend to play the other's first?

#130 Posted by AleksandarTale (2906 posts) -

Hey, I am a big FPS fan, and as mad as it sounds, I prefer the campaigns. So basically, I am looking for a good FPS with a long campaign. I have all the COD's since MW1 and the Medal Of Honour reboot, and as fun as they were, I can take the campaign in one sitting, and since I no longer have Xbox LIVE, the online aspect is negligible. Also, I prefer realistic shooters with real weapons etc. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help :)ExcessGiraffe

Have you tried Call of Juarez or CoJ Bound in Blood ? They're both great games with great stories, set in the Old West. To be hones i prefered Bound in Blood.

Another good game that comes to mind is Mirror's Edge, but it's not a traditional ( so to speak ) FPS.

#131 Posted by Steak_And_Eggs (1001 posts) -
I'm getting a $10 game from the Virtual Console part of the Wii store, but I can't decide between Super Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I remember liking both games very much, but I don't remember what I liked about them. So if anyone has any opinions on which I should get, feel free to speak your mind.
#132 Posted by Chief_J (32 posts) -
Is this game good? Pokemon trading card game for Gameboy?
#133 Posted by Caradic09 (3 posts) -
I'm selling my turtle beach for 120$, I'm thinking of Pre-ordering 2 Games or buying Killzone 3 and Pre-Ordering 1 game. Should I Pre-Order Brink, and Red Faction: Armageddon, or Killzone 3 and Brink? I don't want to waste any money so I'm also thinking of waiting for reviews for Brink and Red Faction, but I here good and bad about Killzone 3, what would you do? Thanks
#134 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

Is this game good? Pokemon trading card game for Gameboy?Chief_J
I doubt it; but then I've never played it. If pokemon is your choice, then I'd recommend one of the actual games (if all you have is Gameboy; then you'd be looking for Red, Blue or Yellow versions which are quite rare nowadays and will find them only on Amazon or Ebay)

#136 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

I'm thinking of getting Broken Sword on the DS, my preferred platform. It's a little pricey on Amazon though and I'm not sure if I should purchase it. I hear it has a great story but when it comes to games that have multiple versions, I'm really hesitant to get any of them. I prefer portability hence my inclination to play the DS version, but... well should I? Shouldn't I?

#137 Posted by c_rakestraw (14712 posts) -

I'm thinking of getting Broken Sword on the DS, my preferred platform. It's a little pricey on Amazon though and I'm not sure if I should purchase it. I hear it has a great story but when it comes to games that have multiple versions, I'm really hesitant to get any of them. I prefer portability hence my inclination to play the DS version, but... well should I? Shouldn't I? thattotally

I say go for it. Broken Sword worked great on the DS. Portability is definitely the way to go with games like that since they perfect for it.

#138 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

Will I miss any important story tidbits or will I get the full treatment for the DS iteration? Barring console-styIe cutscenes and potential voice acting.

#139 Posted by c_rakestraw (14712 posts) -

Will I miss any important story tidbits or will I get the full treatment for the DS iteration? Barring console-styIe cutscenes and potential voice acting.thattotally

Nah. Everything's still intact from the original. The only thing you'd miss out on would be the higher quality visuals for the Wii release, but that's not much of an impediment given how the game still looks good on the DS and all.

#140 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

hmm... well I really want to play this game, I think I'll add it to my cart after all.

#142 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2765 posts) -

So I'm trying to decide whther I should buy Bad Company 2 or not...

First of all, I don't know whether I should go for the PC or PS3 version, I hate having to wait to find a game and I'm worried that the PS3 might have a much smaller playerbase. I'd prefer the PC version but I've googled a bit and read some worrying stuff about people having far much better specs than Recommended yet having trouble.

Do I need the vietnam expansion? Will I have a trouble finding a proper game without it?

I've got very little experience with FPS, I'm scared of the game being filled with too many "hardcores" after such a long time (released over a year ago or something?)

#143 Posted by zombekks (9 posts) -
Looking for gift ideas for my fiances 25th... The ultimate gift would have been the Crysis 2: Nano Edition, but I got in too late & they are all sold out:( He says he'll be happy with the limited edition version, which I've pre-ordered but i'd like to get him something else as a surprise. He's mentioned wanting a kinect... but the games available seem pretty pathetic so far & considering how often he plays the Wii (never) I imagine his interest would fade pretty quick.... I've come up with Fallout: New Vegas, Bulletstorm: Epic Edition, Dead Space 2.... or some nerdy marvel hero merchandise from Kings Comics. But I'm a girl so what do I know :/ So... any info or advice on the games above or any suggestions on any all out shooters, in-depth rpg or DC/Marvel related games that might tickle his fancy?
#144 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

I don't think i'd do Bulletstorm. I'd rather purchase Fallout New Vegas or Dead Space 2 if I was you.

#145 Posted by thomas0889 (4 posts) -
Gamestop is taking the gba gamesoff the market april 1st in order 2 make room for the anitcipated 3DS. Now some of my fondxest gaming memories belong to the handheld console known as the GameBoy Advance. I'm trying to remember the great games onthe system, but I can only think of some. Here is the list of the games I hve collected so far 1. Golden Sun 2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age 3. Sword Of Mana 4. Zoids: Legacy 5. Megaman & Bass 6. Megaman NT Warrior 4: Red Sun 7. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 8. Shining Soul 9. Shining Force Resurrection Of Dark Dragon 10. Monster Force 11. Boktai 2: Solor Boy Django 12. Tales Of Phantasia 13. Yu-Gi-Oh: The Eternal Duelist Soul 14. Yu-Gi-Oh: The Sacred Cards 15. The Scorpion King: The Sword Of Osiris 16.Fire Emblem 17. Medabot AX : Metabee 18. Demikids: Dark Version I think that prettty much sums up my collection so far. I plan to get boktai 1 and the rest of the megaman nt warriors, but I'm not sure what else to get . Any ideas??????
#147 Posted by GRNlizard (15 posts) -
Well,Im so bored,I have this laptop here,but it does not made to play PC games,currently it can run The Godfather smoothly,and hmm,Hitman series before Blood Money run well too,Blood Money runs really really really slow that I cant even play it.Hmmm,Splinter Cell series until Chaos Theory run well too. Sorry for not giving this laptop's Specs,I just dont know how.
#148 Posted by AleksandarTale (2906 posts) -

Well,Im so bored,I have this laptop here,but it does not made to play PC games,currently it can run The Godfather smoothly,and hmm,Hitman series before Blood Money run well too,Blood Money runs really really really slow that I cant even play it.Hmmm,Splinter Cell series until Chaos Theory run well too. Sorry for not giving this laptop's Specs,I just dont know how.GRNlizard

Right click on My Computer, and it will sohw your RAM and processor, and you could also tell us what kind of games you're looking for to make our " search " easier.

Waitinig o hear from you again.:)

#149 Posted by realblood33 (752 posts) -

crysis 2 or killzone 3 ? which is better bang for buck, i mean overall better single player and online ?

#150 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

crysis 2 or killzone 3 ? which is better bang for buck, i mean overall better single player and online ?

realblood33

Tough call:

Crysis 2: Better Single Player
Killzone 3: Better Multiplayer

Honestly, I myself like Crysis 2 much more (but that's because I'm a solo player above all.), but I would say Killzone 3>Crysis 2 in terms of multiplayer. If you're like me, Crysis 2 is the front choice. Multiplayer gamer? Then Killzone 3 for you.

Better value? Killzone 3. At the very least, K3's multiplayer was molded by Guerilla, while Crysis 2's MP, though not 'bad' in any way, is basically a CoD/Halo hybrid. So really, KZ3's multiplayer has a better chance of keeping you engaged for longer, and therefore, is the better buy.