Peter Molyneux apologizes to Fable fans... for the third time

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

"…when I read in the middle of a [Fable III] review that the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews." - Peter Molyneux

It looks lke the Fable series is destined to be loved and to disappoint at the same time. How can you not love the idea of a funny, quirky action packed world that reshapes itself according to your actions? At the same time, how can you not be disappointed when many of the features promised in the months before release don't make it into the game or are nothing more than barely functional stubs?

It has also become sort of traditional for Peter Molyneux to apologize to Fable fans for the aforementioned missed opportunities:

He did so after Fable:

"If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologize. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it"

He did so after Fable II:

"Fable II's story was rubbish."

"Let's be honest, [Fable II] had some terribly messy things about it."

Now he apologizes about Fable III:

"Lionhead -- especially me -- has never created projects in less than two years. This was the first time we ever did that,"

"we didn't have the time to craft that into what that dream was."

"…when I read in the middle of a [Fable III] review that the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

To be honest I like the man, despite his many gaffes he's a talented game designer (he gave us Populous, Syndicate, Black & White, Dungeon Keeper and Fable itself after all). It's a pity his vision can never translate to reality the way he wants. If anything he should apologize about that Project Milo farce Microsoft had him come up with two E3 ago to promote the Kinect.

Keep trying Pete, you'll get it 100% right eventually. On second though: 80% right would be good too.

What do you people think, will he eventually make the game he originally envisioned? Is Fable the Journey the fourth time charm? Somehow I doubt this is the case.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Fable III isn't a bad Fable and neither are the first two, so he should really stop apologizing. It's all about improving the series and making them better and better until that one game has the right elements. A series like Final Fantasy didn't get it right until Final Fantasy IV, so in the case of Peter Molyneux, it's all about improvement until the series is perfected and his dream realized.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
I actually enjoyed Fable 3 the most compared to number 2 (not even going to compare it to The Lost Chapters, even with Fable 2 and 3 combined it still won't reach the greatness of that game). But eh, I never really worried that much about gameplay in Fable, its charm was what always got me. I don't like Peter disrespecting his own work though, he should really just suck it up and look forward to perfecting the next Fable instead of trying to apologize to anyone who was unhappy with 3.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Its a shame that his humility doesn't stick around when he is actually making his games.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I'd rather see him make a new Black & White game than just Fable games.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think he should just stop apologizing at this point and start learning from his mistakes. If the Fable games have constantly disappointed, then find out what it is that went wrong with those games and do everything in your power to prevent those things from happening again. Simple. Apologies from him don't mean much now.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
How about he just stops apologizing and actually makes a good game? I don't care if he's sorry that Fable 3 was bad, just make Fable 4 a good game(at least better than Fable 3)
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
never played a fable game, although ill probably get some pc version at some point to try it out. there are other developers that overreach, and id rather they try too much rather than too little. the pessimist might say that molyneux is just trying to hype his games by whatever means he can and i guess its hard to refute that, but from his interviews and appearances he sounds to me like someone who really likes playing and developing games and his enthusiasm sometimes gets the best of him when hes trying to say his intentions for a game.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I just think it's his way of damage control. Not that the Fable series has been bad, but since the first, they've just been a constant disappointment. If he really wants to make a game with a vision, he needs to learn how to listen to the fans and then mix that with what he has in mind.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
He has some great ideas, but technology in regards of gaming hasn't progressed enough to make those ideas truly possible. Fable 2 had some concepts that weren't too bad, it's a shame that some of the good things from Fable 2 hadn't been improved upon and added to Fable 3, after all we didn't exactly need the hand holding gimmick which was frankly useless. Fable 3's main problem is that as you get near to the end you don't really feel like you have much more to do beyond getting ready for the final battle. And then the final battle comes in and it's, well, disappointing. Better than Fable 2's 'final battle', but still lacking. Maybe Fable 4 might show improvements in various areas and new features that do help to show off the intended idea of the series.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I like that better than if he were to try and defend the game's faults.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Nice man, underwhelming series. Played the first 2 to completion, wasn't trying for the third.
How Fable made it to 3 installments with a forth coming for Kinect is beyond me. Mediocre is actually being nice, and as much as I hate JRPG's (hate them and their cliched "EVERYTHING" and turn based combat) I'd rather play another JRPG with a shemale protagonist then whatever Pete/Lionshead may be thinking up for the future.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I actually really enjoyed the first two Fable games. And really, I didn't have a problem with the third until it glitched on me during a quest, essentially breaking the game. I rated it a 1.0 and haven't played it since. I don't know that I will, to be honest. I've too little time as it is, especially to be playing games that don't work.

I

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

I respect his humility after the fact, but they need to start learning from these mistakes otherwise I can't see people staying interested much longer. Unfamiliar with the hype of the original Fable, I thought it was a great game. The 2nd I thought was good despite a multitude of shortcomings and the 3rd I couldn't even bring myself to complete. The entire series seems to be getting worse and for inexplicable reasons imo.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I actually really enjoyed the first two Fable games. And really, I didn't have a problem with the third until it glitched on me during a quest, essentially breaking the game. I rated it a 1.0 and haven't played it since. I don't know that I will, to be honest. I've too little time as it is, especially to be playing games that don't work.

I

Shame-usBlackley

Oh wow. The game glitched on you? What quest, do you remember? At one point, the game glitched on me too and I had to grit my teeth and start over from scratch. Luckily, the game is way too easy, so it didn't take me long to get back to where I was before, you know?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

I

Metamania

Oh wow. The game glitched on you? What quest, do you remember? At one point, the game glitched on me too and I had to grit my teeth and start over from scratch. Luckily, the game is way too easy, so it didn't take me long to get back to where I was before, you know?

I can't remember exactly, but the quest involved multiple stops around the game world, and without the initial step generating, the game would not advance anything. I didn't even really try too hard to find a workaround, though. I was just all "Well, that sucks, guess I'll play something that works."

I may check it out again down the road, but it'll be quite a while.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#17 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Lionhead seems to have a strange way of developing games in the Fable series. They overstate features and then they scrap things that work. I actually liked @ better than one but 3 is my least favorite.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
He can apologize all he wants, I'm never going to buy any of his games.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

It's going to be the best game ever you guys!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Fable 1 was okay, but Fable II and III are atrocious, shallow, over-simplified horrors of Action/RPG's.

The man needs to go back to the drawing board and quit bringing that stupid series to the retailers shelves.

All my opinion of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I hope he gets to do more creative things. The Movies and Black and White were great, and of course most of the games they made before them were great.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I don't think Fable is his franchise to make it grandeur. He needs to go and bring back some of his other popular series or start a new IP. Fable hasn't been good since Fable Lost Chapters. Imho, I think he's running out of ideas and tries too hard by putting in game ideas that are not fun.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
Fable was not a BAD game, it was a heavily flawed game that tried to hide it's shortcomings with dozens of poorly implemented novel ideas, but it showed promise. Fable 2 was a bad video game. Fable 3 was a digital abortion.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#24 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I find that Fable 3 was the worst out of the series....2 was pretty fun but 3 was just boring and seemed like they didnt have time to put the things in the game they wanted to.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
Their was literally nothing to like in Fable 3. It gave me the immediate impression, less than a full five minutes in, that it was terrible. That impression was correct.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
atleast hes honest that there sub-par, gives him a little more creditability in my eyes
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#27 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

I'd rather see him make a new Black & White game than just Fable games.

nameless12345

I agree. Really would want another Black & White.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

If he'd just keep his mouth shut during development, he wouldn't have to do this every single time he releases a game.

BluesKing527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BluesKing527
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts
Yeah he should stop apologizing and tell MS to be patient with the fable 4 developmen
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Eh, old Petey's cycle of overpromising and apologizing has become some sort of a running gag in the industry. I liked both Fable 1 and 2. Haven't played 3 yet but I'm sure I'll pick it up before this generation ends, since I enjoy the Fable games for what they are, and have learned to not expect or give too much weight to whatever Pete comes up with through their development cycle. I appreciate his candor, though.
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts
I'll forgive you, to an extent, Pete, if you bring back BC.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
^^What's that? Looks intriguing.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I was trying to think of that game yesterday when thinking about how great Lionhead used to be. I watched it for years. :(
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#34 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I quite enjoyed Fable , I didnt like 2, sadly. I passed on 3.
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

^^What's that? Looks intriguing. SteelAttack

It was a very unique looking game that would have been so promising... But it was killed off... :(

Here are some Videos... It could have certainly been better than Fable.

Just think how that game could be with current hardware...

Subject-16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Subject-16
Member since 2011 • 105 Posts

I was an epic fanboy for the original Fable when it arrived.

I didn't even get halfway through Fable III before I put it in my pile of shame and, even on quiet, boring days, I'm yet to return to it.

I hardly think an apology is neccessary though...especially when with each one comes the unshakeable feeling that we too should apologise for being so sheepish that we purchased a game that even the creator thought was sub-par.

Way to make me feel stupid, Molyneux! Now, apologise!

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I think my main attraction to the Fable series is the potential.

The colorful characters could lead to interesting interactions with the player. However it is devolved to cheesy emotes some of which get really frustrating as the game progressed. At first it was humorous that the princess would life a guy over her head while dancing. By the end of the game all I could think is "Aren't there anymen in this game world that can take the lead?" My princess went solo. None of those pansies are worthy to be her mate.

The colorful characters could lead to memorable romances. It seemed to me that people in this world are a bit overexaggerated. This could lead to fun, comical, and heartwarming relationship options. However, to be able to go from stangers to married in about 20 minutes using stupid emotes is just pathetic. Even without Bioware's romances to compare them to the relationships in Fable are simply lame and forgetable.

To be the king/queen ... oh my. Just think what you could do here. Do I spend money on defensive improvements or research better weapons? Use diplomatic channels to acquire aid for the coming battle from other nations? Can I give Paige and Rever what they want by moving the orphanage out of theindustrial district where it never should have been in the first place? .... Um, no. You can't do any of that at all. National defense is based only on how much money you have in your treasury. I don't know, maybe its magic money that teleports to the pockets of the enemy until they are too weighted down to move. The royal decrees and good or evil. Nothing in between. I thought this game was supposed to have a strong morality bend to it. My bad.

I can see the shadow of something awesome in these games. I keep hoping the next one will bring it to life because a shadow is just not enough.

That's not to say Fable is garbage. It is just not worth $50. Wait for $20 to $25.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]^^What's that? Looks intriguing. LORD_BLACKGULT

It was a very unique looking game that would have been so promising... But it was killed off... :(

Here are some Videos... It could have certainly been better than Fable.

Just think how that game could be with current hardware...

I still cry at night over the cancellation of BC. I think Peter and Lionhead have so much potential especially with Peter's history in making some truly great games pre-Fable but every time he releases a new Fable game it just fails to deliver. I still enjoy the Fable games quite a bit but they could just be so much more.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Well, atleast he is honest about it.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
^^What's that? Looks intriguing. SteelAttack
The one that got cancelled. BC.
langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#41 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts
Good of him to realize he is overrated with his predictions - since Fable 1 he hasn't done anything that revolutionary. Fable 2 was a good game, but it's didn't have much last-ability. Fable 3 was essentially Fable 2.5 so he really needs some new ideas. My main issue with the games was the lack of effort put into a proper story driven main plot. It always seems most of the effort was put into the smaller side quests and fun things you can do along the way. I can understand his frustration but it's not a good idea to continually express it publicly.
Avatar image for combatwombat500
combatwombat500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 combatwombat500
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
ehh i thought fables 2 story line was batter than fable 3
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

He should actually go back a make RPG like Fable 1. Fable 3 was a straight up actionadventure game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts
I learned my lesson after Fable 2, I won't be fooled by him again.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I just hope he doesn't call the kinect Fable game the greatest ever. Anyway, I still like the games he creates.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Fable 3 was a joke. That was a shallow, sorry excuse for a roleplaying game... even an action game. Its junk. Fable 2 was pretty good. Fable 1 was the best.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

"…when I read in the middle of a [Fable III] review that the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews." - Peter Molyneux

It looks lke the Fable series is destined to be loved and to disappoint at the same time. How can you not love the idea of a funny, quirky action packed world that reshapes itself according to your actions? At the same time, how can you not be disappointed when many of the features promised in the months before release don't make it into the game or are nothing more than barely functional stubs?

It has also become sort of traditional for Peter Molyneux to apologize to Fable fans for the aforementioned missed opportunities:

He did so after Fable:

"If I have mentioned any feature in the past which, for whatever reason, didn't make it as I described into Fable, I apologize. Every feature I have ever talked about WAS in development, but not all made it"

He did so after Fable II:

"Fable II's story was rubbish."

"Let's be honest, [Fable II] had some terribly messy things about it."

Now he apologizes about Fable III:

"Lionhead -- especially me -- has never created projects in less than two years. This was the first time we ever did that,"

"we didn't have the time to craft that into what that dream was."

"…when I read in the middle of a [Fable III] review that the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

To be honest I like the man, despite his many gaffes he's a talented game designer (he gave us Populous, Syndicate, Black & White, Dungeon Keeper and Fable itself after all). It's a pity his vision can never translate to reality the way he wants. If anything he should apologize about that Project Milo farce Microsoft had him come up with two E3 ago to promote the Kinect.

Keep trying Pete, you'll get it 100% right eventually. On second though: 80% right would be good too.

What do you people think, will he eventually make the game he originally envisioned? Is Fable the Journey the fourth time charm? Somehow I doubt this is the case.

Black_Knight_00

i liked the guy, after the first two fables i was like ok, maybe the thir one is gonna be awesome, and then the third fable came... so screw him, all he does is talk bs and never delivers and always apologizes, i dont know if he does it just because he fails as a game designer to actually make things work or is just a damn marketing strategy to see how dumb we are, but after three strikes, you are out, no more fables for me

Mohsiuddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mohsiuddin
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
I don't own a console. I've played Fable-TLC and Fable III on PC. The first one was awesome. While the third one was a decent game, it was sometimes really annoying too. Like, you can't even walk in this game. It's either run, or sprint. And when you're holding someone's hand and climbing stairs, the connection is broken and it looks really queer
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

This guy is one of the most annoying guys in the industry, he always hypes everything and apologizes after the rather medicore game released. I don't care what this idiot has to say >__>