Panzer Dragoon Orta (56K warning)

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

This awesome series saw its last entry almost 5 years ago.

Although it never quite got the success it deserved, I wholeheartedly believe Panzer Dragoon Orta was one of the very best Xbox games ever released. It just got backwards compatibility for the 360, too. If you like shooters at all, you should definitely check it out. To me, it's timeless.

These are real shots of a 5 year-old game. I think it's held up quite well.

Anyone else love this game as much as I do? And what about a sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga? We can dream, can't we? :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I really hope they add this to the Xbox Originals on the 360. I never got to play this game. I've always been curious about this and the Otogi games.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

It still looks better than a lot of "next Gen" games out there.

Hope for it to be on xbox originals soon!

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

martialbullet

I agree what a great game in all terms!

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

martialbullet

Yeah I'm too lazy to hunt down this game, I too hope it comes out on the xbox originals soon. Oh and Microsoft better be working on making my Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath compatible, its been a long hard wait as I've never had the chance to finish the game.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts
My only experience was with the original Panzer Dragoon on the Saturn. I want to play this game, but I can never find it anywhere. I should have picked this up when I had the chance. Hopefully, it will come as an original.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

In my opinion, Panzer Dragoon Orta is right next to Psychonauts one of the most overrated niche games. It's a pretty solid game, but not nearly as good as some people claim.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I can happily say that I bought this game on day one and I still play it from time to time to this very day.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jbul

I really hope they add this to the Xbox Originals on the 360. I never got to play this game. I've always been curious about this and the Otogi games.rragnaar

I asked Gamestop about PDO today, and they said it's one of the rarer Xbox games out there. Which sucks, because this further adds to the problem. Maybe some day, like you said..

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jbul

In my opinion, Panzer Dragoon Orta is right next to Psychonauts one of the most overrated niche games. It's a pretty solid game, but not nearly as good as some people claim.

UpInFlames

Is there anything you do like? ;) The Panzer universe is pretty damn unique and beautiful to me, but to each his own.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UpInFlames

Is there anything you do like? ;)Jbul

Nope. :P

Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

Great game, from a great studio, Smilebit. They made the Jet Set games and PDO, but got axed when Sammy bought Sega. It makes you question what happened to Sega.....do they even make games anymore?

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jbul

Great game, from a great studio, Smilebit. They made the Jet Set games and PDO, but got axed when Sammy bought Sega. It makes you question what happened to Sega.....do they even make games anymore?

Hulabaloza

Not good ones, it seems. Condemned was probably the last thing Sega made that resembled good, and the likelyhood of another Panzer game is pretty near impossible at this point.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jbul
[QUOTE="martialbullet"]

HiResDes

Yeah I'm too lazy to hunt down this game, I too hope it comes out on the xbox originals soon. Oh and Microsoft better be working on making my Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath compatible, its been a long hard wait as I've never had the chance to finish the game.

Is Strangers Wrath the FPS Oddword game? I remember that one getting good reviews, and flopping. :?

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="martialbullet"]

Jbul

Is Strangers Wrath the FPS Oddword game? I remember that one getting good reviews, and flopping. :?

yeah flopped is almost an understatement, but its in my top 10 from last gen.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
Orta is my favorite XBox game of all time and the best rail shooter I've ever played.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Orta is my favorite game on the Xbox and is one of the three console titles I enjoyed (MGS3 and Simpsons Hit & Run are the others)

I don't even remember the games story but I was sad when the dragoon died and I loved how it got reborn at the end. I once showed it to my friend and he asked "what is this s***"

Since I don't own an Xbox360 I hope that later on with some sort of conversion program it comes to PC.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
Ya hands down best graphics of last gen. Its one of the more memorable games from last gen as well. When I think of that era I think of about 6 games, so its up there.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UpInFlames

Condemned was probably the last thing Sega made that resembled good.Jbul

Sega didn't make Condemned, Monolith did.

Is Strangers Wrath the FPS Oddword game?Jbul

I wouldn't really call it a FPS. Yes, there is shooting from the first-person perspective, but it's unlike anything else ever made. The roaming and platforming is in third-person, though. Now there's a game more people should've played. That and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HiResDes

Ya hands down best graphics of last gen. Its one of the more memorable games from last gen as well. When I think of that era I think of about 6 games, so its up there.F1Lengend

Riddick looked pretty damn good too!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

I just picked this game up again at Gamestop the other day, mint copy with the instructions and everything. 5 bucks.

The best thing about it imo is the artstyle. Very beautiful. I think this and F-Zero GX were the last 2 really high quality games from SEGA, both about 5 years ago. I think SEGA lost alot of talent after going 3rd-party, because the quality of their games really nosedived after these last few gems.

You'd think they would have flourished as a 3rd-party....wth happened? I mean they still release a decent game now and again, but nothing really A-range. Its a shame.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I just picked this game up again at Gamestop the other day, mint copy with the instructions and everything. 5 bucks.

EdgecrusherAza

A couple of months ago I had the same deal with my choice of seven of them. I did a mix n' match. I chose the best manual, the best cover and case, and the cleanest disc. It's not as rare as ebay makes it to be. I have it in my posession, in mint condition, and have had some great times with it.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

The best thing about it imo is the artstyle. Very beautiful. I think this and F-Zero GX were the last 2 really high quality games from SEGA, both about 5 years ago. I think SEGA lost alot of talent after going 3rd-party, because the quality of their games really nosedived after these last few gems.

You'd think they would have flourished as a 3rd-party....wth happened? I mean they still release a decent game now and again, but nothing really A-range. Its a shame.

EdgecrusherAza

Its one thing SAMMY the Pachincko maker.....

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]Ya hands down best graphics of last gen. Its one of the more memorable games from last gen as well. When I think of that era I think of about 6 games, so its up there.HiResDes

Riddick looked pretty damn good too!

oh ya Riddick...That game looked as good as doom 3 on my PC and came out way before..it totally stole its thunder imo. But I have to give the edge to PDO since the artsytle demolishes Riddick but its still technically proficient.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Yes, fantabulous game. Underrated by most in particular because its a rail shooter and is a really tough challenge. I played through the game on easy and it was pretty tough. I played through again on normal (never finished, sadly) and it was like a different game. Far more nuanced than I thought in a lot of ways. You really have to plan and strategize along with having extremely quick reflexes.

I highly recommend it and, as the TC alluded to, it still looks fantastic even on the 360. Its one of the few Xbox games that I'll never trade in.

Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

It's quite dull and too slow for my taste. Visual eye candy but the gameplay is just to bland. Definitely overrated. Didn't like the Saturn version either, which I played on the PS2 as part of a Sega Ages Collection.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

Oh awesome, man! I'm so glad I saw this thread, because it might have been forever before I ever realized PDO got backwards compatibility.

I absolutely loved this game. The only thing I really wasn't feeling was how it went from its semi-realistic bio-mechanical setting to the surreal "next-dimension" feel. It was still a sick game though.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kreatzion

Oh awesome, man! I'm so glad I saw this thread, because it might have been forever before I ever realized PDO got backwards compatibility.

I absolutely loved this game. The only thing I really wasn't feeling was how it went from its semi-realistic bio-mechanical setting to the surreal "next-dimension" feel. It was still a sick game though.

ShenlongBo

I felt that way too. The earthy environments from the first half of the game, in my opinion, were more enjoyable to play than the second half. Also, is it me or was the final boss really damn hard to beat?

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShenlongBo

UpInFlames

I'm with you on Psychonauts, and although I really love the gameplay in PDO (and would totally recommend it to just about every gamer I know), I can see why it didn't sit well with some people. Like I said in my previous post, the game is just awesome at the beginning, but then kind of meanders into some weird direction where it's more abstract than anything.

The setting was off-putting for me, but the gameplay was right up my alley.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShenlongBo
[QUOTE="ShenlongBo"]

Kreatzion

I felt that way too. The earthy environments from the first half of the game, in my opinion, were more enjoyable to play than the second half. Also, is it me or was the final boss really damn hard to beat?

Yeah, the last boss was a bona-fide bastard. Made it all the better to finally beat him, though.
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShenlongBo

It's quite dull and too slow for my taste. Visual eye candy but the gameplay is just to bland. Definitely overrated. Didn't like the Saturn version either, which I played on the PS2 as part of a Sega Ages Collection.

Spirit_of_87

B-b-b-bland? :(

But like, there were the three different dragon types, and the kind of weird way you had to lock on to enemies and release big shots, rather than just spraying. It's been so long that all I remember is the shooting was really cool, even though I don't remember how it worked, specifically.

But bland? I cry!

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
I owned very few Xbox games but I made a point to make Orta one of them. Really great game that I'm proud to have beat and have in my collection.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]Condemned was probably the last thing Sega made that resembled good.UpInFlames

Sega didn't make Condemned, Monolith did.

Is Strangers Wrath the FPS Oddword game?Jbul

I wouldn't really call it a FPS. Yes, there is shooting from the first-person perspective, but it's unlike anything else ever made. The roaming and platforming is in third-person, though. Now there's a game more people should've played. That and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I see. Sega published it though, that's where I was confused.

I saw Strangers' used for $10, but realizing it wasn't a successful title, and backward compatibility was unlikely, I passed..

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jbul
[QUOTE="Spirit_of_87"]

ShenlongBo

B-b-b-bland? :(

But like, there were the three different dragon types, and the kind of weird way you had to lock on to enemies and release big shots, rather than just spraying. It's been so long that all I remember is the shooting was really cool, even though I don't remember how it worked, specifically.

But bland? I cry!

Remember how cool the Battle (Heavy) Form looked fully powered up? Almost took up half the screen.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Great atmosphere and artwork, but I'd rather play Rez, as it plays more or less the same. I was a bit disappointed in Orta, because I thought of it as a step back after Panzer Dragoon Saga.
PAJ89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#36 PAJ89
Member since 2003 • 2020 Posts
I loved it. Awesome game, and although I don't know if I would buy it if it hit Xbox Originals (I completed it the first time around), it would be great to see it there as I don't think it sold all that well, despite being a great game.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#37 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
I much prefered Panzer Dragoon Saga. I would honestly give body parts to see a sequal / prequal.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
I really hope they add this to the Xbox Originals on the 360. I never got to play this game. I've always been curious about this and the Otogi games.rragnaar
Yeah, they really should. Personally, I think it looks great still and actually pulled it out the other day and played it for awhile...its just a beautiful game just to pull out and relax. :)
chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 chazer127
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts
Panzer dragoon Orta was one of the best looking Xbox games I have ever played, I just hope sega are working on a new one for the 360/Wii
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HiResDes

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I really hope they add this to the Xbox Originals on the 360. I never got to play this game. I've always been curious about this and the Otogi games.ice_radon
Yeah, they really should. Personally, I think it looks great still and actually pulled it out the other day and played it for awhile...its just a beautiful game just to pull out and relax. :)

Yeah the Otogi games were pretty cool, the environments/artstyle were a little offputting, but the gameplay was pretty top notch especially for the pure action game it was.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 UpInFlames

Yeah the Otogi games were pretty cool, the environments/artstyle were a little offputting, but the gameplay was pretty top notch especially for the pure action game it was.HiResDes

I loved the environments and the art-styIe, it really felt distinctly Japanese - it wasn't trying to cater to Western markets and it didn't go the worn out anime route either. The music was pretty good, too. I only played Otogi 2 so the gameplay always remained fresh thanks to the multiple characters with different fighting styIes at your disposal. I also appreciated the vertical aspect of the combat. Another game more people should've played.

Momo-yan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Momo-yan
Member since 2007 • 444 Posts

Fun game!! But the game was so.. "quiet" if you know what I mean, I dunno, I guess I'm used to getting cinematics of story between missions or whatever, and advancing in the story (if I'm remembering this right), it was mostly just reading report-like stuff. Didn't really immerse me in the story, made me feel like an outsider, just peering in to their world a bit.

I don't even remember the story at all!

It's also my only experience in the Panzer Dragoon series... and from what everyone was saying about it when it first came out, and I bought it, I sorta expected more storytelling..

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jbul

Fun game!! But the game was so.. "quiet" if you know what I mean, I dunno, I guess I'm used to getting cinematics of story between missions or whatever, and advancing in the story (if I'm remembering this right), it was mostly just reading report-like stuff. Didn't really immerse me in the story, made me feel like an outsider, just peering in to their world a bit.

It's also my only experience in the Panzer Dragoon series... and from what everyone was saying about it when it first came out, and I bought it, I sorta expected more storytelling..

Momo-yan

You might be thinking of a different game. Orta had many long cinematic sequences, all fully voiced. There were in Japanese, so there were english text, but it told a full story. And an intriguing one at that.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kreatzion
OMG you guys just reminded me of that snow level. You know, the one where the dragon is running on foot rather than flying. Damn that was the hardest stage.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]Yeah the Otogi games were pretty cool, the environments/artstyle were a little offputting, but the gameplay was pretty top notch especially for the pure action game it was.UpInFlames

I loved the environments and the art-styIe, it really felt distinctly Japanese - it wasn't trying to cater to Western markets and it didn't go the worn out anime route either. The music was pretty good, too. I only played Otogi 2 so the gameplay always remained fresh thanks to the multiple characters with different fighting styIes at your disposal. I also appreciated the vertical aspect of the combat. Another game more people should've played.

Yeah, I loved Otogi 2. I don't begrudge Ninja Gaiden its sales (its a kickbutt game) but it would have been nice if Otogi had sold well enough to merit a sequel.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Great atmosphere and artwork, but I'd rather play Rez, as it plays more or less the same. I was a bit disappointed in Orta, because I thought of it as a step back after Panzer Dragoon Saga.nopalversion

I never laid hands (or eyes) on Saga but Orta was a worthy follow up to the other PD games.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]Great atmosphere and artwork, but I'd rather play Rez, as it plays more or less the same. I was a bit disappointed in Orta, because I thought of it as a step back after Panzer Dragoon Saga.CarnageHeart

I never laid hands (or eyes) on Saga but Orta was a worthy follow up to the other PD games.

Saga was basically one of the most amazing gaming experiences of its time. Its such a unique RPG that even if released today the mechanics would be considered innovative. It was just short for an RPG (you'd do good to get 25 hours out of it). If Orta would've sold better, we possibly could've had another Saga. I sure gave them my money, so I blame THE REST OF YOU! :P

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

[QUOTE="Momo-yan"]

Jbul

You might be thinking of a different game. Orta had many long cinematic sequences, all fully voiced. There were in Japanese, so there were english text, but it told a full story. And an intriguing one at that.

Actually the dialog is not in Japanese or English. It's a made up language for the game.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
One of the reasons I own an Xbox. I can't wait until we get a sequel.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
Loved Orta. We'll never see a Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel unfortunately. Andromeda is loooong gone and all the talent at Sega has moved on the greener pastures.