NSFW product from marketers who would starve to death in a just world

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I though Hitman's advertisers were the biggest idiots in gaming, but I was wrong, so very, very wrong.

This product is made for necrophiliacs so I don't see a big market for it, but time will tell.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-15-dead-island-riptide-zombie-bait-edition-has-headless-armless-bloody-female-torso-figurine

[spoiler]

bikini

[/spoiler]

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
*ordered*
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I can't imagine who would want that.

edit:

*ordered* MudoSkills

lol

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I think the Hitman stuff was worse. That was plain despicable; this is just dumb and disgusting.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I have to agree. When I first saw this I cringed and thought to myself that this was a very tasteless thing to have put in.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Really dumb but the title of this thread isn't right either
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

"warning: includes content that may cause offense."

well there. they warned you didn't they? :P

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
What was the big deal about Hitman? Anyone got a link?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator

What was the big deal about Hitman? Anyone got a link?El_Zo1212o

Read this.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JML897

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]What was the big deal about Hitman? Anyone got a link?c_rake

Read this.

Geeeeez
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Not safe for posting the photo on these boards without spoiler tag either
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rragnaar

They've apologized for it:

Deep Silver apologizes for Dead Island Riptide bikini statue

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Black_Knight_00

rragnaar
Just a ploy to get people to pay attention to their crap game. It worked, didn't it
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

Black_Knight_00

Just a ploy to get people to pay attention to their crap game. It worked, didn't it

I suspect it was actual idiocy. If the guys wanted to get people interesting in their crap game, they would have cooked up another wildly misleading trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

CarnageHeart

I suspect it was actual idiocy. If the guys wanted to get people interesting in their crap game, they would have cooked up another wildly misleading trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ialZcLaI17Y

Yeah but trailers are expensive, photoshopping a decapitated torso is cheap.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i will say though that the statue is infinitely more appropriate for the game than the trailers they make. the game is an unadulterated appeal to sex and violence in the form of hacking up bikini zombies. perhaps it's not just the statue that is crude.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

wasn't offended by it, but i was anticipating a certain type of backlash when i first saw it. the statue i think is tasteless and stupid. wouldn't want it on my counter with my other figurines.

but i didn't see anything to get that offended by, it's a game about zombies (one of the goriest of horror subgenres) on a beach resort (look up ladies in bakini's, guys in swim trunks or if one wanted to sexualize the guys somehow speedo). Seemed an appropriate imagry to me, given the context of the game.

If i were at Deep Silver though i wouldn't of done this statue, let alone DO this statue and then call it "Zombie Bait". you literally asking for someone to get butt hurt over it.

it's like literal PR flame bait. except unlike Hitman where it could seriously affect people in real life with it's social-bully game. It's a piece of cheap plastic where social ideologues (who in strong likelihood wouldn't be buying the game anyhow) can moan about the larger theoretical meta social-consequences of selling this piece of plastic on market.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

In a game where you visciously mutilate undead humans in fairly grotesque manners, it's a pair of dead **** that sends people over the edge.

Really now.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Didn't find this or the Hitman stuff remotely offensive.

God knows what marketing were smoking though to actually go through with that. Love it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Disgusting.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Yes, this was essentially the perfect product to release amid all the violence controversy. Except here, Deep Silver decided to bring sex into the mix. I honestly can't imagine who would want something like that.

Also, who would pre order a game that of which hasn't even had gameplay previews yet?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
What I see with this is they are using boobs to try to lure in younger teens..Products like this works against gaming.. I don't have a problem with i personally. I wouldn't buy it or have it up for display, but I don't have a problem with it at all except that media and anti gaming people will likely use it for their own advantage. Id much rather see a Zombie head or something as the statue. The gore does look pretty detailed, but it's not something I'd want my friends or family coming over and seeing because they would all ask wtf.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"] Id much rather see a Zombie head or something as the statue. The gore does look pretty detailed, but it's not something I'd want my friends or family coming over and seeing because they would all ask wtf.

Yeah...this. In the context of the game, this doesn't seem too out-there. The thing is, in the context of a bust sitting in someone's home, it's sort of separated from the context of the game. Sure...it has the title, but it's not something iconic or instantly recognizable. Display this in your home, and it just looks like you've got a fascination with mutilating busty women. This isn't recognizably a zombie. It's just a mutilated torso of a big-boobed woman. If nothing else, they should have at least left the zombie head attached so that people could say, "okay, this guy obviously is just one of those zombie nerds. That's pretty harmless." Or...would that be worse? Would that be implying a sort of necrophilia fetish or something? Anyway, that's a pretty dumb product, but it really isn't nearly as bad as that Hitman thing. This is dumb and tasteless, but it's JUST dumb and tasteless. Now allow me a moment to ask, what's the problem? Ooh, a busty mutilated torso is SO offensive? No one is going to mutilate a busty woman just because they bought this product. There's a warning on the box, free speech, yadda yadda yadda. So...tell me again why anyone has a problem with this?
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

In a game where you visciously mutilate undead humans in fairly grotesque manners, it's a pair of dead **** that sends people over the edge.

Really now.

Systems_Id

lol, my thoughts exactly.

I really don't see the issue. I think it's fitting, given the type of game it is.

Maybe it's because my sister and her fiance have a lot of horror figures... I dunno.

[spoiler] I don't know what the f*ck they're apologising for. [/spoiler]

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"] Id much rather see a Zombie head or something as the statue. The gore does look pretty detailed, but it's not something I'd want my friends or family coming over and seeing because they would all ask wtf.MrGeezer
Yeah...this. In the context of the game, this doesn't seem too out-there. The thing is, in the context of a bust sitting in someone's home, it's sort of separated from the context of the game. Sure...it has the title, but it's not something iconic or instantly recognizable.Display this in your home, and it just looks like you've got a fascination with mutilating busty women. This isn't recognizably a zombie. It's just a mutilated torso of a big-boobed woman. If nothing else, they should have at least left the zombie head attached so that people could say, "okay, this guy obviously is just one of those zombie nerds. That's pretty harmless." Or...would that be worse? Would that be implying a sort of necrophilia fetish or something? Anyway, that's a pretty dumb product, but it really isn't nearly as bad as that Hitman thing. This is dumb and tasteless, but it's JUST dumb and tasteless. Now allow me a moment to ask, what's the problem? Ooh, a busty mutilated torso is SO offensive? No one is going to mutilate a busty woman just because they bought this product. There's a warning on the box, free speech, yadda yadda yadda. So...tell me again why anyone has a problem with this?

You answered your own question...

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ilovegames1992

God knows what marketing were smoking though to actually go through with that. Love it.

Ilovegames1992

Seriously though why are gamers offended by this...?

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

I don't think anyone is offended by this. It's just them drumming up fake controversy to promote their game.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Lucky_Krystal

I don't think anyone is offended by this. It's just them drumming up fake controversy to promote their game.

The sensationalist/emotive title suggests people are annoyed or upset. Bizzare.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Are you guys kidding? This is AWESOME. I so want one. It is an awesome piece of horror memrobilia to have with your game. I do not get the hate behind this at all.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

CarnageHeart
I just think it's a little bit weird how pretty much everyone seems to be saying how wrong it is. Yet, whenever someone so much as dares criticize the violence in an actual videogame, the conversation goes completely in the opposite direction.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rragnaar
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Are you guys kidding? This is AWESOME. I so want one. It is an awesome piece of horror memrobilia to have with your game. I do not get the hate behind this at all.

I'm not offended and I don't hate it. It is just ugly and I wouldn't want it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

MrGeezer
I just think it's a little bit weird how pretty much everyone seems to be saying how wrong it is. Yet, whenever someone so much as dares criticize the violence in an actual videogame, the conversation goes completely in the opposite direction.

I agree the hypocrisy is astounding. Why is it ok guys for me to chop off heads and arms in the Dead Island game (which is a huge part of the combat) and not to enjoy a statuette of a bloody torso? You can't really have it both ways.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897

enjoy a statuette of a bloody torsoGodModeEnabled

Don't even want to know what this means.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

The sensationalist/emotive title suggests people are annoyed or upset. Bizzare.

I think it was more of a "Why would you think that was a good idea? That's disgusting!" rather than a "I'm offended! Ban it ban it!"

Also, the more I look around, it seems this game isn't on any specific group's radar. People were bringing up feminism in the GS article but I don't see any feminist groups getting their panties in a bunch over this. Nor do I see any politicians connecting it to video games causing real world violence or whatever. The only thing I see on any site I go on is a bunch of gamers foaming at the mouth saying something akin to "Who's offended by this!? KILL YOURSELF!"

It leads me to believe that Deep Silver made it seem like an issue when it wasn't just to promote their game. The fact that they apologized literally HOURS after it was announced reinforces that. It was just a stupid and cheap tactic to promote their crappy game, because apparently trailers, teasers, and news releases can't speak for themselves. :roll:

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
I find some of the responses in this thread worrying, and the reaction of the company disappointing. This basically boils down to the fact that some people don't like something you have the option to buy, insinuating that anybody who does like it, or doesn't mind it, has some kind of mental issues. This is a cartoonishly violent game, that it's special edition comes with a cartoonishly violent art object shouldn't come as that much of a surprise, and like other people have said, shouldn't bother you any more or less than the game itself does. That the company apologised indicates that either this was just a way to generate a bit of free publicity - or that they really do feel 'deeply sorry' that they offended a few vocal people, which they shouldn't.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

GodModeEnabled

I agree the hypocrisy is astounding. Why is it ok guys for me to chop off heads and arms in the Dead Island game (which is a huge part of the combat) and not to enjoy a statuette of a bloody torso? You can't really have it both ways.

Personally I find it quite different playing a game where you hack up zombies and having a bikini-clad torso sitting on my shelf or whatever.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] I just think it's a little bit weird how pretty much everyone seems to be saying how wrong it is. Yet, whenever someone so much as dares criticize the violence in an actual videogame, the conversation goes completely in the opposite direction. Archangel3371

Personally I find it quite different playing a game where you hack up zombies and having a bikini-clad torso sitting on my shelf or whatever.

Well said. I suspect that holds true for most gamers.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JML897
Yeah I don't understand where you can possibly display that statuette in your home without visitors being weirded out by it
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ilovegames1992

I true see a hypocrisy. Its a cool little statuette. If people are put off of from seeing that then they SHOULD be put off of you when you geefully hack people down in the game.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I don't want it but I don't see why everyone has their panties in a twist. It's a game that primarily deals with death, gore, and dismemberment. Get the hell over it.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]enjoy a statuette of a bloody torsodvader654

Its GME, you dont want to know. :P

When Skyrim came out, GME was asking: "Hey, can you romance the horses?"
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="JML897"]

Black_Knight_00

Its GME, you dont want to know. :P

When Skyrim came out, GME was asking: "Hey, can you romance the horses?"

Oh god....don't EVER talk about "horse romances."

I don't ever want to go down that dark path again.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 c_rakestraw  Moderator

That the company apologised indicates that either this was just a way to generate a bit of free publicity - or that they really do feel 'deeply sorry' that they offended a few vocal people, which they shouldn't.MudoSkills

It has to be the former, which is what makes this whole thing disgraceful. They obviously created this so there'd be a big ol' sh*t-storm over it for some free publicity. On its own, the statue is just dumb. As part of some obviously cheap publicity stunt, its just... ugh.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GodModeEnabled
The enjoyment of the statue comes form the enjoyment of the horror genre, its a neat little collectible. You enjoy the statue the same way you enjoy watching people getting their faces eaten off, and their guts ripped out in The Walking Dead. Not getting the product, or the genre, is one thing. Saying its for necrophiliacs is pure left wing, crybaby, bleeding heart nonsense.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ilovegames1992

The enjoyment of the statue comes form the enjoyment of the horror genre, its a neat little collectible. You enjoy the statue the same way you enjoy watching people getting their faces eaten off, and their guts ripped out in The Walking Dead. Not getting the product, or the genre, is one thing. Saying its for necrophiliacs is pure left wing, crybaby, bleeding heart nonsense.GodModeEnabled

I agree.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]The enjoyment of the statue comes form the enjoyment of the horror genre, its a neat little collectible. You enjoy the statue the same way you enjoy watching people getting their faces eaten off, and their guts ripped out in The Walking Dead. Not getting the product, or the genre, is one thing. Saying its for necrophiliacs is pure left wing, crybaby, bleeding heart nonsense.Ilovegames1992

I agree.

I like horror games and movies, but I confess I don't take any pleasure in mutilation. A lot of horror movies and some games favor don't impress me because the characters are so thin (clearly created only to be dissected messily). I enjoyed horror games like the old Silent Hill games, Siren and The Walking Dead and horror movies like The Sixth Sense, Hellraiser, 28 Days Later and The Shining not so much because of the gruesomeness of the deaths/monsters, but the fact that they were were quality games and movies respectively which starred fleshed out characters, not just the movie equivalent of crash test dummies.

*Shrugs* According to the latest reports, its not clear that the torso is being cancelled so maybe you two can each pick one up and stare at it and giggle, or whatever it is you do.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]The enjoyment of the statue comes form the enjoyment of the horror genre, its a neat little collectible. You enjoy the statue the same way you enjoy watching people getting their faces eaten off, and their guts ripped out in The Walking Dead. Not getting the product, or the genre, is one thing. Saying its for necrophiliacs is pure left wing, crybaby, bleeding heart nonsense.CarnageHeart

I agree.

I like horror games and movies, but I confess I don't take any pleasure in mutilation. A lot of horror movies and some games favor don't impress me because the characters are so thin (clearly created only to be dissected messily). I enjoyed horror games like the old Silent Hill games, Siren and The Walking Dead and horror movies like The Sixth Sense, Hellraiser, 28 Days Later and The Shining not so much because of the gruesomeness of the deaths/monsters, but the fact that they were were quality games and movies respectively which starred fleshed out characters, not just the movie equivalent of crash test dummies.

*Shrugs* According to the latest reports, its not clear that the torso is being cancelled so maybe you two can each pick one up and stare at it and giggle, or whatever it is you do.

There is so much pretentiousness in this post it saddens me.

Why is it wrong to like cool little paraphenelia. It has no relfection on what you appreciate as art. I too enjoy all the things you mention and prefer fleshed out characters and genuine horror to gore and jump scares. I don't really see the correlation. Playing the game Dead Island is just not bad, if not worse. And you obviouslt are not that averse to mutilation as you enjoy things like Silent Hill, Hellraiser and 28 Days Later, which are very heavy on shameless gratutious violence.

There is a model i wanted to get of a Predator standing above a dead Xenomorph with a pool of mashed up blood and gore where its head used to be, with the Predator holding the xenomorph head as a trophy.

That's because i like Predator and Alien, and its just a cool looking model.

I wouldn't stare at it and giggle. I don't know why people think thats what people do.

Hell i don't even want this thing as it looks weird but my god this is just such a non issue backed up with some serious pretentiousness. Its so strange.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodModeEnabled
so maybe you two can each pick one up and stare at it and giggle, or whatever it is you do.CarnageHeart
Obviously I am going to use it as the centerpiece of my necrophiliac shrine and masturbate furiously to its magnificence while sacrificing puppys to vile pagan gods. HAIL SATAN.