Kojima confirms Metal Gear Solid 5. Shameus on suicide watch.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Reveal next month.

We all knew it was coming, but now series creator Hideo Kojima has blown the lid off the forthcoming entry in his espionage franchise, Metal Gear Solid 5.

In the latest issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, Kojima opens up on his plans for the "past, present, and future of Metal Gear Solid," which includes details on MGS5, as well as Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Does MGS5 feature Solid Snake​? Old Snake? An entirely new protagonist? You'll be able to find out what exactly Kojima has planned for Metal Gear Solid 5 when the magazine hits at the end of this month.

Some mammoth news to end this otherwise dreary Wednesday. For the first time in the 16-year history of Official PlayStation Magazine, we're putting a developer on the cover. Issue 65 will be fronted by Metal Gear Solid creator and gaming legend Hideo Kojima.

A fortnight ago reviews editor Joel Gregory flew to Tokyo to spend a full day shadowing the man who has repeatedly reinvented stealth action over the past two decades. Now, in his most candid ever interview, Kojima reflects on his entire body of work – and gives some almighty teases regarding life after Metal Gear.

As part of our world exclusive chat and photo shoot, he also gives his open and frank opinions on Metal Gear Solid Rising – the first PlayStation MGS he's neither written nor directed – and openly discusses his plans for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Project Ogre for the first time.

Most startlingly of all, he explains why he's spent the last decade trying to kill off his leading man, Solid Snake.gamepro

Source

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I have a feeling this will remain a PS exclusive unless they broker a deal to release it on multiple platforms, something that MGS 4 should have done. Regardless I can't help but be curious as to what MGS 5 will offer. MGS 4 received a lot of high praise from not just critics, but from the fans as well. So I'm looking forward to seeing what MGS 5 has in store. Good thing I'm picking up the MGS HD Collection soon!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S0lidSnake

I have a feeling this will remain a PS exclusive unless they broker a deal to release it on multiple platforms, something that MGS 4 should have done. Regardless I can't help but be curious as to what MGS 5 will offer. MGS 4 received a lot of high praise from not just critics, but from the fans as well. So I'm looking forward to seeing what MGS 5 has in store. Good thing I'm picking up the MGS HD Collection soon!

Metamania

All KojiPro games are going to multiplatform from now on.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 S0lidSnake

Damn you beat me to it. Inject it right into my veins Kojima!!!!! I just want to know who the main character is.dvader654
We know who it is. It's Solid Snake's clone grown inside Meryl's uterus with the mother genes from The Boss herself.

Soldier of the forever.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Knew MGS5 was coming but I didn't think it would have been this soon. I'm curious to see where Kojima takes the series next.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Damn you beat me to it. Inject it right into my veins Kojima!!!!! I just want to know who the main character is.dvader654

We know who it is. It's Solid Snake's clone grown inside Meryl's uterus with the mother genes from The Boss herself.

Soldier of the forever.

Hell yes! Lets not forget that the entire game will take place inside a VR simulation inside a dream of Solid Snake.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Inject it right into my veins Kojima!!!!!dvader654

I thought the same thing.

I gots to have it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts
Awesome news. I loved MGS4 and I can't wait to see what Kojima has in store for us this time.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Great! Can't wait to hear who the main character will be. I think it'd be awesome to get a game with The Boss and her exploits during WW2.
Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
Defs picking up this mag.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Great but I'm not sure how the plot will be as extravagant compared to 4 even now Rising seems like a less ambitious spin-off (but decent one none-the less).
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

S0lidSnake

Really? When did that happen?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

This is great news. I hope they'll ignore the haters and keep the long cutscenes and I also hope they'll refresh gameplay mechanics a little (crouching, cover and shooting were a bit clunky in MGS4. I said 'a bit').

Oh and Gamespot will give it a 7.5 cause it'll make them look cooler.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I never played a MGS game before besides some demos. I'll buy the HD collection when it hits EU to see what all the hype is about. If I like it I'll buy more.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

When they revealed their multiplatform Fox Engine at E3. From now on, all their games will appear on 360,PS3,PC,Vita simulataneously.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

This is great news. I hope they'll ignore the haters and keep the long cutscenes and I also hope they'll refresh gameplay mechanics a little (crouching, cover and shooting were a bit clunky in MGS4. I said 'a bit').

Black_Knight_00
I agree. I could never understand those that complained about the cutscene length in MGS4. Ok, so you bought a game in a series that has a reputation for long cutscenes and you're surprised that, HEY, there are long cutscenes.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

When they revealed their multiplatform Fox Engine at E3. From now on, all their games will appear on 360,PS3,PC,Vita simulataneously.

I didn't keep up with the news on Konami back at E3, so that's news to my ears. This is great news, because now I can keep track of the MGS series again on the 360, starting with the HD collection, followed by Rising and MGS 5.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I'm very curious to see what will come next. News articles always stated MGS4 as the last in the series. Will it be another of the Big Boss line? Also, MGS Rising seems like it has a lot of potential, with stealth-action games like Batman: AA (Haven't played Arkham City yet) showing everyone how it's done. They could use some ideas from that game or others like it (stealth action) to make an awesome game. However, the trailers for MGS: R seemed more like an action game than stealth. The problem with that is the action seemed a bit like a beat em up (Streets of Rage), rather than the mobile movement in Ninja Gaiden Black. Personally, Zone of the Enders should be continued. It's an excellent game. At the very least, take some its core gameplay ideas such as simple, yet effective fast paced combat and use it for Rising.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Canvas_Of_Flesh

I agree. I could never understand those that complained about the cutscene length in MGS4. Ok, so you bought a game in a series that has a reputation for long cutscenes and you're surprised that, HEY, there are long cutscenes.

MGS4 had MULTIPLE cutscnees that were almost an hour long. Mission briefings that were at least half an hour long. Most of the exposition could've been told in 5-10 minute scenes, but we got half an hour scenes instead.

Kojima needs an editor... bad.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#22 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Looking forward to it, love the series and need me some more stealth action.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Metamania

[QUOTE="Canvas_Of_Flesh"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

S0lidSnake

MGS4 had MULTIPLE cutscnees that were almost an hour long. Mission briefings that were at least half an hour long. Most of the exposition could've been told in 5-10 minute scenes, but we got half an hour scenes instead.

Longer than...say, the cutscenes or briefings in MGS 2?

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="kweeni"]I never played a MGS game before besides some demos. I'll buy the HD collection when it hits EU to see what all the hype is about. If I like it I'll buy more.

you miss a greatest game series of all time
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Canvas_Of_Flesh"] I agree. I could never understand those that complained about the cutscene length in MGS4. Ok, so you bought a game in a series that has a reputation for long cutscenes and you're surprised that, HEY, there are long cutscenes.Metamania

Oh yes. I find MGS4 to be a masterpiece in game design but the one glaring flaw is the overly long cutscenes.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

I'd like to see a link to that. I only remember them announcing the fact that their engine was a multiplatform engine, not that all of their games going forward would be multiplatform.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Wasn't Peace Walker supposed to be MGS5?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 S0lidSnake

Metamania

Yes. Though MGS2 was very codec heavy so maybe it's a tie.

Every Act in MGS4 has a 30 minute mission briefing. That's 2 and a half hours already. Longer than most movies. The ending is over an hour long. Acts 2 and 3 have a three cutscenes that are half an hour long each. I downloaded all the cutscenes (because i still love most of em) and there were 8.5 hours of cutscenes in those avi files. That's longer than most games this gen.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 S0lidSnake

Wasn't Peace Walker supposed to be MGS5?SteelAttack

Wasn't MGS2 supposed to be Kojima's last MGS game?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#30 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

News articles always stated MGS4 as the last in the series.BranKetra

I remember reading something like that about Metal Gear Solid 3 in a magazine some years back. Best not to take those claims seriously.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Metamania

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]News articles always stated MGS4 as the last in the series.c_rake

I remember reading something like that about Metal Gear Solid 3 in a magazine some years back. Best not to take those claims seriously.

Yeah, they always say that. "Yeah, this is going to be the last game in the series." Next thing you know, ta-da, sequel is coming! Yeah....definitely best not to take those kind of claims to heart.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]News articles always stated MGS4 as the last in the series.c_rake

Yup. Too big of a franchise to retire.

Halo 3 - Finish The Fight.

Halo 3 ODST - Relive the Fight.

Halo Reach - See how it all started BEFORE you finished the fight.

Halo 4 - See what happens AFTER you finish the fight.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

S0lidSnake

I think that's the best part of the game by far. It's an unconventional game, outside the schemes. It's all about emotional connection between you and deep, believable characters you can't help but caring about. That's why cutscenes weren't too long at all.

In other words:

30 minutes of Marcus Fenix/Alyx Vance/Ezio Auditore = No

30 minutes of Solid Snake = Digital Heaven

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Canvas_Of_Flesh

Yeah I really enjoyed the cut-scenes in MGS4 as well so for me their length isn't a problem at all. Lengthy codecs can bore me sometimes but as long as the cut-scenes are well made then I can watch plenty of them.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 branketra
Alright. Point taken. Anyway the FOX engine looks good. Another jungle MGS game could be good. They could have just been using the jungle and a way to show off the engine, since they have a lot going on compared to an MGS2 big shell room.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
lolz i was expecting another MGS4 2 XBOX360 rumour. :p
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Metamania

One of the things I hope MGS 5 continues its tradition on is not only an excellent cast of voice actors, but a soundtrack that's pretty memorable. I wasn't too big on the MGS 2 soundtrack, but the original Metal Gear Solid had such an amazing score accompaning the gamplay in itself. I still have memories of the boss theme, for example. The entire soundtrack was orchestrated brillantly and fit the game's atmosphere quite well, so I hope they continue this in MGS 5 and hopefully in Rising as well.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 branketra

One of the things I hope MGS 5 continues its tradition on is not only an excellent cast of voice actors, but a soundtrack that's pretty memorable. I wasn't too big on the MGS 2 soundtrack, but the original Metal Gear Solid had such an amazing score accompaning the gamplay in itself. I still have memories of the boss theme, for example. The entire soundtrack was orchestrated brillantly and fit the game's atmosphere quite well, so I hope they continue this in MGS 5 and hopefully in Rising as well.

Metamania
Yes. The way real world information is incorporated into the story is one of my favorite things about the games. MGS gave me a new perspective to look at the world. No kidding.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

BranKetra

Yes. The way real world information is incorporated into the story is one of my favorite things about the games. MGS gave me a new perspective to look at the world. No kidding.

But I wouldn't take the rants that Kojima makes in his games seriously though. That's just his way of thinking about these subjects, like DNA and all that stuff. I will say that their views on the real world are interesting nonetheless.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

As much as I love MGS, I don't feel that Kojima should do another major entry.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 S0lidSnake

Metamania

MGS4 has the best soundtrack in the series by far. Hell, it's probably one of the best soundtracks in a video game ever. Two discs full of awesomeness.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

Pfft. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing had a better soundtrack than MGS4. :P

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

I'm okay with this, if Kojima goes back to a more self contained story and new characters like MGS3. Honestly, I'd rather see Kojima come out with a new IP, or maybe work on a new Zone of the Enders. I love the MGS series, but I'm feeling pretty indifferent to this announcement.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

A bit disappointing. I was hoping Kojima's next project would be ZOE3. Still, I love MGS1, 3 and 4, so I'm sure I will love MGS5.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

LOL!

I will say that historically, the odd-numbered MGS games were awesome (Solid, Snake Eater), which means there is at least a slight chance that this will be good. However, the last game was so mind-numbingly awful from a narrative perspective that I just don't see this happening at all. There are better stealth games and better shooters to play, making MGS4 completely worthless in my book since the story sucked. It's obvious Kojima wishes to become a western designer -- I would not be surprised to see him affix himself the nickname Hideo K, slapping a chainsaw on the end of Snake's gun and stop trying to tell a story entirely for MGS5, and honestly, that would probably be for the best.

The news doesn't really bother or surprise me, though. I knew as soon as I played MGS4 that Kojima himself is a franchise, made to be trotted out every couple of years when Konami starts to run out of money since they have, like, zero legitimately decent franchises left to mine. The whole shtick with Kojima solemnly professing "this is the end" after each iteration has become more predictable than Hulk Hogan holding his hand up after being put in a sleeper hold at a wrestling match. I learned my lesson with MGS4 and I wouldn't touch a sequel if it were shareware, let alone sixty bills. If other people want to buy so they have proof instead of just suspicion that the series finally became porcelain god-fodder, that's their problem, not mine. There are too many good games to play these days for me to worry about what a once-was like Hideo Kojima farts out every few years. :P

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

While I find MGS4 the best game I've played this generation, I'm not really excited about this news, I prefer a new IP.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

LOL!

I will say that historically, the odd-numbered MGS games were awesome (Solid, Snake Eater), which means there is at least a slight chance that this will be good. However, the last game was so mind-numbingly awful from a narrative perspective that I just don't see this happening at all. There are better stealth games and better shooters to play, making MGS4 completely worthless in my book since the story sucked. It's obvious Kojima wishes to become a western designer -- I wouldn't not be surprised to affix himself the nickname Hideo K and stop trying to tell a story entirely for MGS5, and that would probably be for the best.

The news doesn't really bother or surprise me, though. I knew as soon as I played MGS4 that Kojima himself is a franchise, made to be trotted out every couple of years when Konami starts to run out of money since they have, like, zero legitimately decent franchises left to mine. The whole shtick with Kojima solemnly professing "this is the end" after each iteration has become more predictable than Hulk Hogan holding his hand up after being put in a sleeper hold at a wrestling match. I learned my lesson with MGS4 and I wouldn't touch a sequel if it were shareware, let alone sixty bills. If other people want to buy it that's their problem, not mine. There are too many good games to play these days for me to worry about what a once-was like Hideo Kojima farts out every few years. :P

Shame-usBlackley

I've been playing video games since about 1987 and i have yet to find a game with a coherent, rational, believable, well thought out storyline. If you want that i'd suggest some classic literature.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

LOL!

I will say that historically, the odd-numbered MGS games were awesome (Solid, Snake Eater), which means there is at least a slight chance that this will be good. However, the last game was so mind-numbingly awful from a narrative perspective that I just don't see this happening at all. There are better stealth games and better shooters to play, making MGS4 completely worthless in my book since the story sucked. It's obvious Kojima wishes to become a western designer -- I wouldn't not be surprised to affix himself the nickname Hideo K and stop trying to tell a story entirely for MGS5, and that would probably be for the best.

The news doesn't really bother or surprise me, though. I knew as soon as I played MGS4 that Kojima himself is a franchise, made to be trotted out every couple of years when Konami starts to run out of money since they have, like, zero legitimately decent franchises left to mine. The whole shtick with Kojima solemnly professing "this is the end" after each iteration has become more predictable than Hulk Hogan holding his hand up after being put in a sleeper hold at a wrestling match. I learned my lesson with MGS4 and I wouldn't touch a sequel if it were shareware, let alone sixty bills. If other people want to buy it that's their problem, not mine. There are too many good games to play these days for me to worry about what a once-was like Hideo Kojima farts out every few years. :P

z4twenny

I've been playing video games since about 1987 and i have yet to find a game with a coherent, rational, believable, well thought out storyline. If you want that i'd suggest some classic literature.

And I've been playing since 1977, what difference does that make?

I'm not asking for Shakespeare, only for the series to continue on with at least as cohesive a storyline as it started out with, and that is impossible now because it's been crapped-up, crapped-out, and retconned to hell and back. MGS4 just got lame and bats*** crazy. The story sucked, and all of it was punctuated by two hours of awful at the end, like a digital middle-finger salute. I was a giant (read: GIANT) fan of the series up until MGS4, but then it became clear that there was no story, only a bunch of zany BS rescued by nanomachines about 300 times.