Just a friendly reminder -- Okami (WI)

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Go out and buy Okami for the Wii N-O-W or I will personally stalk you while you sleep, cut out your spleen and sell it for rodent food on the black market! :)

Have a nice day! :)

Amaterasu is waiting patiently for you to discover her beautiful world.

C'mon people! How often do we get a second chance!? Go out and buy and play the action-adventure, Zelda-Clone that out did Twilight Princess! (Runs and hides before DVader reads this sentence...)

Oh! And while you are at it: Rondo of Swords came out for the DS today also! You like SRPG's, right? We don't know when we are getting Fire Emblem DS, right? Do Atlus a favor and by one of their games for once! As Clover did with Okami (besting LOZ: TP), Atlus has trumped SquareEnix as the premiere RPG creator for the past several years... (Runs and hides before the hordes of FF7 Remake fanatics reads this last sentence...) ...show some support for the little guys too, for once...! *runs*

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I've already got the PS2 version, so eat it jerkface. :P I might rebuy this. I hear that the cutscenes are skippable, and widescreen progressive scan is always nice.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
I've bought it...might not be able to play it til tomorrow, though. :P
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
I beat the game on PS2... rented it though. So, I'm definitely buying the Wii version at some point. Probably this summer.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Phantom_Leo

Where is he!

Anyway if you have not experienced this masterpiece buy it anyway you can.

Sadly I have a feeling this thread will be filled with people saying to please buy this game and no one actually buying it.dvader654

*runs by*

"I'VE GOT MY RECEIPT ! ! !" :P

"Eep!" :shock:

*dashes away and hides under the nearest boulder*

"OW ! ! !"

*hurts his tush on a Rupee*

"Who the heck keeps on hiding these under here?!" :evil:

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I'm going to get,but it'll probably be quite a while from now; there are so many games I've been meaning to purchase,and Okami just isn't a top-priority for me.
CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts
Let me just re-iterate incase any one skipped the opening post... Buy Okami. I own the PS2 version, and it's some of the most fun I've had in a videogame.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I bought the ps2 version, but I still haven't had a chance to play it.
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I own the PS2 Version already, so I don't feel a need to buy the Wii version. Hopefully it gets the sales that it deserves though.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I just bought the Wii version today. Hopefully this game well sell better on the Wii since there aren't as many quality third party games.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Go out and buy Okami for the Wii N-O-W or I will personally stalk you while you sleep, cut out your spleen and sell it for rodent food on the black market! :)

Have a nice day! :)

Phantom_Leo

You don't have to sell it to me, man. The PS2 version is one of my favorite games from last-gen. Hell, I even wrote a blog about how much I loved the game. Okami is a masterpiece, plain and simple.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Where is he!

Anyway if you have not experienced this masterpiece buy it anyway you can.

Sadly I have a feeling this thread will be filled with people saying to please buy this game and no one actually buying it.Phantom_Leo

*runs by*

"I'VE GOT MY RECEIPT ! ! !" :P

"Eep!" :shock:

*dashes away and hides under the nearest boulder*

"OW ! ! !"

*hurts his tush on a Rupee*

"Who the heck keeps on hiding these under here?!" :evil:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Already own the PS2 version. :P
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phantom_Leo

Angry_Beaver

HA ! ! ! You see! Even the little Minish Dude is a Clover fan!

They're even telling you, you should go out and buy Okami!

It's a sign from the Heavens!

Buy now or suffer the damnations of Purgatory...

...or something!

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
Teh Eevul Relm lol!!!1 :lol:
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I recently bought Okami for the PS2 but haven't played it yet. I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I do.

I want to pick up Rondo of Swords but my wallet is screaming at me. :( Damn you, April! Why do you have to be full of great games?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
There is still no release date for Australia. :( I can't believe it's two months until the EU release!! :cry: This is like......racist or something!!
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
Already got it for the PS2 back when it came out. I'm good. :P
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Will get Rondo of Swords. Won't be getting Okami Wii as I bought upon release and still have the PS2 version and I can't at the moment afford to buy the same game more than once. I didn't buy Bully (wii) for the exact same reason.

hope you're still a friend Leo :P

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
I have no money. :(
And the last Atlus game I bought was Contact. :( :(
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phantom_Leo

Will get Rondo of Swords. Won't be getting Okami Wii as I bought upon release and still have the PS2 version and I can't at the moment afford to buy the same game more than once. I didn't buy Bully (wii) for the exact same reason.

bugsonglass

Oh, so you aren't getting Okami? That's OK...

*just sleep with one eye open*

Enjoy Rondo! I can't wait to start!

I am, however, knee deep in Baroque (it seems everytime I go near my systems, I have to play this game) , I am trying to finish Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and at least get through the first real case of Apollo Justice (once I do, I'll push through to the end)...

I need to finish a few games before starting anymore...

Cheers!

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

I am, however, knee deep in Baroque (it seems everytime I go near my systems, I have to play this game)

Phantom_Leo

I'm going to play some Okami today, but out of curiosity, regarding Baroque...

When it comes to me and RPGs, the main thing I look for is an enjoyable level of depth in the character customization/development side of things. What can you say about this aspect of Baroque, if you don't mind?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I was this close - to buying Baroque but I backed off because many people showed me reviews for it and it seemed underwhelming. Anyways I was intriguied by the dark theme.

This is a great chance for all wii owners and those who missed Okami to play it because it's the first long game with no repetiton nor level grinding, has original concepts, lovely cell-shaded backgrounds, lovely OST and immersive game-play.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I was this close - to buying Baroque but I backed off because many people showed me reviews for it and it seemed underwhelming. Anyways I was intriguied by the dark theme.

This is a great chance for all wii owners and those who missed Okami to play it because it's the first long game with no repetiton nor level grinding, has original concepts, lovely cell-shaded backgrounds, lovely OST and immersive game-play.

gamingqueen

I'd heard Okami has a ton of fetch-quests, which I find repetitive by design.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

Shame-usBlackley

Are you kidding me? Those are the best thing about Okami and they get really addictive and you don't need to do all those. For instance, you can unlock up to 30 brush technique in the game but you can still beat the game without getting them all, you can get praise points from different people by accepting different requests and not ont kind of request, you can also get praise points by feeding animals and growing plants and such which is fun... boring and Okami don't meet.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I'd heard Okami has a ton of fetch-quests, which I find repetitive by design.Shame-usBlackley

At least try and rent it. It's totally awesome and there's really nothing like it. Okami is like a painting in motion, fantastic stuff. It's relatively open-ended (much more than I expected, actually), the combat system is simplistic but fun and the bosses are imaginitive and varied. Mission design is relatively varied as well thanks to the really cool brush mechanic. If you have even just a passing interest in Japanese mythology, you should check Okami out - there's not a whole bunch of games in which you can play as a Sun Goddess in a wolf's form and go about Japan reviving dead vegetation, feeding wildlife and being able to control the Sun and the Moon. Oh, and then there's the whack-a-mole minigame.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
I alread yhave the PS2 version. Best PS2 game IMO!
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I'd heard Okami has a ton of fetch-quests, which I find repetitive by design.Shame-usBlackley

I actually agree. I played the PS2 game, and now have purchased and played some of the Wii game. My complaints against Okami are similar to my complaints against Wind Waker in that regard. They both carry me and keep some interest because of the beautiful art style, environments, storyline, and a few interesting gameplay mechanics, but the majority of the gameplay keeps me in a state of quasi-boredom. So much effort was put into the mechanics and style, but not as much into the actual adventuring part.

Still though, it's a brilliant game and worth owning. If you're like me, the great parts will make up for the slower and less substantial ones. Plus, I find myself enjoying the celestial brush MUCH more using the IR display. The only real problem I have with the Wii version so far is that it is actually much crisper and clearer than the PS2 version was. That might sound like a benefit, but it actually takes away from the paper/canvas effects that were so lovely in the PS2 version. It's weird, but I think in the case of that game, that it appeared on lesser hardware might have been a positive thing.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

Shame-usBlackley

After the gushing of praise for this game from almost everyone in this thread (not to mention media) do you really still doubt Okami is a great game? Of course it's not perfect... but I can't see too many people being disappointed with this game. Honestly.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"]

Phantom_Leo

Oh, so you aren't getting Okami? That's OK...

*just sleep with one eye open*

Enjoy Rondo! I can't wait to start!

I am, however, knee deep in Baroque (it seems everytime I go near my systems, I have to play this game) , I am trying to finish Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and at least get through the first real case of Apollo Justice (once I do, I'll push through to the end)...

I need to finish a few games before starting anymore...

Cheers!

How is Baroque, anyway? I had already written it off but Gamespot's review makes it sound intrigueing.

I'll buy the Wii edition of Okami just to have it back in my collection (I cleared out all of my PS2 stuff) but I think I'll put it off since I'm already buying World Ends With You and Mario Kart this month. I still haven't decided on Rondo. There's just too many DS games to buy, and I still have Front Mission waiting to be played.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Phantom_Leo

[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

I am, however, knee deep in Baroque (it seems everytime I go near my systems, I have to play this game)

Skylock00

I'm going to play some Okami today, but out of curiosity, regarding Baroque...

When it comes to me and RPGs, the main thing I look for is an enjoyable level of depth in the character customization/development side of things. What can you say about this aspect of Baroque, if you don't mind?

How is Baroque, anyway? I had already written it off but Gamespot's review makes it sound intrigueing.

I'll buy the Wii edition of Okami just to have it back in my collection (I cleared out all of my PS2 stuff) but I think I'll put it off since I'm already buying World Ends With You and Mario Kart this month. I still haven't decided on Rondo. There's just too many DS games to buy, and I still have Front Mission waiting to be played.

Archon_basic

I am totally intriued by Baroque and have been discussing it with a few people on these boards. Here is a reprint of one of my replies. It gives basic information on Baroque and Rogue games. I'll try to answer your question after that Skylock.

I love the Rogue games because they are all about randomization. You never quite know how each play session is going to turn out. In Baroque, you can pick up an unidentified sword and it can be Junk or it can be a very powerful Glass Sword, for example...

You have to make the best of what you have... You can almost look at it like Survival Role Playing! To add to this, almost all of these games have a Hunger or Stamina meter which is always counting down... You need to keep your Stamina up to keep your HP from Depleting, or your Hunger down or you Starve... Again, almost like Survival RPG...!

Some of the Rogue games are Turn based, where as you make a move, your enemies make their moves too... Things move in Real Time, but when you stop, they do too... It's hard to describe! Baroque is more Real Time than the typical Rogue like game, but not as free moving as an action title... Your enemies move and attack regardless if you do or not, but don't expect Devil May Cry here!

This is such a hardcore game that even the instruction booklet is vague! You kind of have to figure things out as you go along! Whether this was a conscious decision by the designers or not, I am not sure... But, you are playing a character who has amnesia and has survived after some cataclysmic event has ruined his world... You had some part in it, but don't recall how... It feels like you are more a part of the world because as you figure out HOW to play the game the character is discovering more about himself and his role... It works very well in my book!

The story doesn't hold your hand either. You actually have a menu where you can go back and review conversations you had with characters so you can piece things together. There is also something I am discovering where you piece other demented characters lives and memories back together too, but I have only scarecly touched upon that at the point of the game I am in...

I'll write more later, but the fact that you don't like level grinding makes me think you might not enjoy this game... It's is certainly a genre unto itself and I wholeheartedly recommend any true gamer try this styIe of game at least once, but you really have to understand what you are getting yourself into!

Rent it at least! You may be pleasantly surprised!

(More later!)

I don't know what type of customization it is you are looking for Skylock, but this game has a bit of it.

You get things called Parasites and Brands that you can add to yourself and/or your weapons/equipment. You may get a parasite that you can fuse to yourself or your jacket that slows down vitality drain by 50% for example.

If you have a favorite sword that moves quick and adds 3 points to your Defense, you might find a brand that adds a lighting element to it as well.

There are things called Baroque Ideas in the game that seem to be physical representations (glowing orbs) of the remains of the conciousness of the people who have been corrupted... You can add these to a Crystal Sword... That sword changes to resemble what the Baroques look like in color and textures, but I haven't seen what use this is to the character yet... I am getting the impression that this weapon is key somehow, but you get very few hints at a time and the discovery process is slow and methodical (in a good way)...

Apparently, you can fuse Parasites to Parasites too, to stack effects, but I haven't tried that yet...

You also get bonuses here and there for equipping certain weapon/wing/jacket sets... A Stubborn Jacket and Stubborn wings double your Defense, for example...

Yes, the graphics are grainy and the animation is stiff, but the game is hardly broken. IF you know what type of game you are getting yourself into, you are not going to care about those things anyway!

The story is intelligent. There are TONS of fetch quests for the various twisted citizens of the outerworld.

I LIKE the Coffin Guy, Goddammit! (In game joke...) He's a sarcastic bastard, along the lines of Bruce Campbell; I find him really amusing!

Anyone remember how Star Ocean had voice clips you could unlock in an option menu and you had to play through the game several times and get differing story arcs and endings to collect them all? Yep, Baroques got that too, but I think it is done more for you to piece the story together yourself. Like I said, it is slow and methodical, but I like that! Games that hold my hand every step of the way bore the crud out of me!

I hope this addresses some of your questions, guys. If you have more, ask!

Or, like I said before, give it a rent and put a few hours into it... If you look past the superficial complaints about the game, you'll find something unique, thought provoking and addicting underneath!

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Seeing this thread reminded me that I still have to finish the PS2 version. But yeah, I'm gonna throw in my recommendation, too--get Okami. :)
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shame-usBlackley
Alright, I bought damn Okami. And if it sucks, I'm holding dvader accountable and I'll pay retribution by writing to Kojima and getting his MGO beta key wiped. It was cheap, though -- only $30 after a discount. I just watched a Gametrailers comparison video of the PS2 and the Wii versions, and let's just say I'm really glad I bought the version I did. The PS2 version looks washed out by comparison, while the colors pop off the screen in the Wii release. I'm still not going to get too terribly excited about it yet, but I'll bop back in with a thought or two in a few days.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 m0zart

I just watched a Gametrailers comparison video of the PS2 and the Wii versions, and let's just say I'm really glad I bought the version I did. The PS2 version looks washed out by comparison, while the colors pop off the screen in the Wii release.Shame-usBlackley

:? I actually preferred that washed out look.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]I just watched a Gametrailers comparison video of the PS2 and the Wii versions, and let's just say I'm really glad I bought the version I did. The PS2 version looks washed out by comparison, while the colors pop off the screen in the Wii release.m0zart

:? I actually preferred that washed out look.

I'm sure it's just preference, and who knows? Perhaps I'll feel the same way once I've spent some time with it.

Here's the vid:

Link

EDIT: I also like that the Wii version isn't as bloomy and doesn't have so much motion blur.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Okami is overrated! :P

I kid, I kid!

Anyway, I liked it but....I gave up more than half way in. I didn't like the battle system. It was just odd. But loved the boss battles.

And to be honest, Okami's story wasn't interesting enough for me to stay glued in. The game maybe designed well but I'd take a green elf in tights with a Master Sword anyday.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Phantom_Leo

In depth review of Baroque from RPGamer

It got 70% there, which is better than most reviews, but I seem to appreciate the game more than most others.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I know that roguelikes generally don't get good reviews from most sites, so I actually was impressed by GameSpot's 6.5 for Baroque. That's really good considering the not-so-good feedback I've heard from others.

My DS is broked. To what extent does Rondo of Swords use the L button?

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts
I already have this game for the PS2. Please explain why do I need to buy the same game again for another format especially as it's got very little added to it from the PS2 apart from the control scheme?
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Even though people highly recommend this game, I'm still not sure about it.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 m0zart

I already have this game for the PS2. Please explain why do I need to buy the same game again for another format especially as it's got very little added to it from the PS2 apart from the control scheme?sumo1973

Who said you had to? Do whatever you want.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts

[QUOTE="Thiago26792"]Even though people highly recommend this game, I'm still not sure about it.dvader654

Do you like Zelda, if the answer is any where in the yes range then buy this game now.

I'm a fan of Zelda. Well, I guess I have to try this game.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Sooo... the geniuses at Capcom inadvertantly have an IGN Watermark in the cover art for Okami. This comes courtesy of NeoGAF. Look closely at Amaterasu's mouth and you will see that the photoshopper who made the artwork for the official cover of the game stole some art from IGN. Awesome. Pure awesome.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Well, Okami was IGN's GOTY.

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

[QUOTE="sumo1973"]I already have this game for the PS2. Please explain why do I need to buy the same game again for another format especially as it's got very little added to it from the PS2 apart from the control scheme?m0zart

Who said you had to? Do whatever you want.

The guy who wrote started this post!

Why couldn't Capcom have added some extras to this game like some concept art, developer videos on how they made Okami for the Wii... There are no extras to this game and I think it's a shame. Wii owners get a game that's 2 years old with nothing added. It's a great game if you've never played it but if you have what's left.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 m0zart

The guy who wrote started this post!

Why couldn't Capcom have added some extras to this game like some concept art, developer videos on how they made Okami for the Wii... There are no extras to this game and I think it's a shame. Wii owners get a game that's 2 years old with nothing added. It's a great game if you've never played it but if you have what's left.

sumo1973

He told you that you had to buy it if you already had the PS2 version?