Is Street Fighter IV going to be in 3D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

The art style for that short trailer reminded me a lot of Okami art style.

It might play like 2D but maybe use that Okami styled 3D models?

Either way, I'm not too fond of the idea of Street Fighter going 3D. We've already saw what happens when that happens.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Shh...mentioning Street Fighter 3D is blasphemy! :P

Kidding aside, I did think about how SF2 would translate with cell-shaded graphics. With technology these days, cell-shading is better than ever...even a last-gen game, Rouge Galaxy and the Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen series was impressive. Next-gen cell shading would look as good as the Appleseed movie.

So if Capcom goes with cell-shaded characters, it may be impressive if they pull it off, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to good ol` traditional 2D animation when it comes to SF.

If it's 3D...I won't hype this or look forward to it as much. I'll still be curious to play it because I love Street Fighter, but it will definitely take away that Street Fighter feel for sure.

On a related note, King of Fighters XII will be high-res animated sprites, kind of like Guilty Gear. So if a smaller company like SNK Playmore is going all out, why not Capcom?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
If it's like Okami then wowowowowo! I'm hyping it... Well I'm a fan of street fighter so even if they make it look like SF one it's enough for me to buy it!
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TriangleHard

The look of the game might be nice, but once a game goes 3D, the controls and feel of the game changes completely.

I can never think of playing Street Fighter in 3D. It was really terrible first time around and it just won't feel the game.

If they pull it off, fine that's great. However, until I see it work I'll constantly doubt it will be good.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Nah, I don't think it's going to be a 3D game. The graphics might be polygonal, but the game itself... I don't think so.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TriangleHard

Nah, I don't think it's going to be a 3D game. The graphics might be polygonal, but the game itself... I don't think so.nopalversion

That alone is bad enough.

Street Fighter EX wasn't exactly a 3D game. It was Street Fighter with 3D character models. Look how that worked out.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]Nah, I don't think it's going to be a 3D game. The graphics might be polygonal, but the game itself... I don't think so.TriangleHard

Street Fighter EX wasn't exactly a 3D game. It was Street Fighter with 3D character models. Look how that worked out.

Not saying a 3D SF would work, but just wanted to point out that some 3D fighters had some good brawling with cool hit detection and animated moves. The Naruto Clash of Ninja series (Gegitou Ninja Taisen in Japan), was a good example of 3D cell-shading characters with really good fighting mechanics, even though the combat was simplistic.

THe SF EX series was just pretty bad. I thought the original Rival Schools for the PS1 captured the SF2 fighting "oomph" more than EX ever did, frantic, with a lot of energy, and fast. It was also more fun...but Project Justice was terrible, slow, and lacked energy, like EX.

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

I surely hope it isn't 3D. I say to Capcom, stick with what sells and that's 2D in this case.

So many fans of the SF series would be rather upset to long await this game and get some 3D game that just doesn't cut it. I mean, I have no doubt that Capcom could pull off something great with a 3D setting, but it just isn't SF.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts
I think they will spoil us with Streetfigher like always , they will release SF4 with the same art style we saw with the debut trailer which will be great, then after a while they will do alpha 4 in full 2D, 4th strike 2D also and EX 4 in full 3D which also will be great, I don't know why people complain about EX 3, it was great game.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story

I think they will spoil us with Streetfigher like always , they will release SF4 with the same art style we saw with the debut trailer which will be great, then after a while they will do alpha 4 in full 2D, 4th strike 2D also and EX 4 in full 3D which also will be great, I don't know why people complain about EX 3, it was great game.HAZE-Unit

It wasn't terrible, but those darn crossed-eyes thatSakura had was disturbing. :P

nemes1s3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 nemes1s3000
Member since 2004 • 2176 Posts
Would be nice.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
SFEX is underrated. There are a lot of good things about the games...I don't know why people hate them so much. Sometimes I wonder if people actually played the EX games. You can do a lot worse, trust me. Rival Schools and Project Justice are also good, so Capcom is capable of making a good 3D fighter. I like my 2D fighters as much as anyone, but we should be prepared for the possibility of the next game being 3D (or "2.5D"). I'm sure Capcom is aware of the importance of SF4, and I'm confident they'll have the right people on the team.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I have a hard time seeing how Capcom could make a 3D SF played the same as its 2D predecessors. But unless I miss my guess, SF doesn't rake in the dough like it used to so like VF, Capcom may figure a drastic move is appropriate, irregardless of the feelings of fans of the series (though let me confess I am not a fan of the newer SFs, since I stopped playing at Alpha 3).
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

SFEX is underrated. There are a lot of good things about the games...I don't know why people hate them so much. Sometimes I wonder if people actually played the EX games. You can do a lot worse, trust me. Rival Schools and Project Justice are also good, so Capcom is capable of making a good 3D fighter. I like my 2D fighters as much as anyone, but we should be prepared for the possibility of the next game being 3D (or "2.5D"). I'm sure Capcom is aware of the importance of SF4, and I'm confident they'll have the right people on the team.King9999

I agree, I really enjoyed EX2, even though it couldn't compete with the years of refining that 2D Street Fighter has undergone. This is why I don't think that the latest part of the main franchise will be played in 3D.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

[QUOTE="King9999"]SFEX is underrated. There are a lot of good things about the games...I don't know why people hate them so much. Sometimes I wonder if people actually played the EX games. You can do a lot worse, trust me. Rival Schools and Project Justice are also good, so Capcom is capable of making a good 3D fighter. I like my 2D fighters as much as anyone, but we should be prepared for the possibility of the next game being 3D (or "2.5D"). I'm sure Capcom is aware of the importance of SF4, and I'm confident they'll have the right people on the team.nopalversion

I agree, I really enjoyed EX2, even though it couldn't compete with the years of refining that 2D Street Fighter has undergone. This is why I don't think that the latest part of the main franchise will be played in 3D.

See, the problem here is when you (generally speaking) think "3D Street Fighter," your brain goes on the defensive, thinking "hell no, keep 3D out of Street Fighter." But why is it so bad that it can't be fixed in SF4, assuming it goes 3D? Keep in mind that the EX games were not developed by Capcom. Apparently Capcom will be looking for input from the fans, so if you have suggestions, you can go here. If you're going to post there, put down some serious input so that your ideas can be taken seriously. I like what this guy wrote: [quote="Kyokuji"] As someone who plays 2D/3D fighters on a competitive level, but still understands the need for mass market appeal, I've compiled a list. Assuming the developers are actually reading this thread, I'll lay this out so that it's easy to draw out the main points: Characters -With a subtitle like "A New Beginning", most of the characters should be new. Ryu and Ken are already in it obviously, and I know a lot of people want to see Chun-Li, Guy or Guile in it, but other than that, I'd recommend you use mostly new characters. Look back on what designs people liked and which they didn't (SF3's character designs bombed for the most part) and draw them based on that feedback. The public generally seems to prefer semi-modern looking "people" rather than freaks and weirdos. -Concentrate on creating a balanced roster of unique characters rather than jamming as many in as possible. I'd rather see 12-16 well made characters than 35 poorly balanced ones. -If you're going to have a joke/comical character, don't make them suck. You should want to laugh at the character, not the person playing them. -Be very careful when creating "user friendly" characters. Chun-li in 3rd Strike is a good example of how an easy to use character can end up being too strong, and negatively effect both the way the game looks and plays at tournaments. -Understand that making a character big and slow is a big disadvantage and they need something to help make up for their large hitbox and lack of mobility. All too often, grapplers and other large characters are low-bottom tier. -Make sure you carefully weigh a character's strengths in relation to the others. Looking at someone like Twelve and then Ken in 3rd Strike is confusing on a balance level. (I know I'm being repetitive in this section, but poor balance will kill a fighter's longevity if it's the same 2-4 characters all the time). Online -If you're planning to go online with the title, consider releasing balance patches, but be careful of what you remove. Sometimes glitches or unintended move properties add to a game rather than detract from it. This also allows you to sidestep the negative stigma that comes from releasing multiple pay-for revisions of a game. -Make sure the netcode is solid. In fighting games, a single millisecond of lag can often mean the difference between a win or a loss. Gamers should be able to play one another cross country without significant delay. All the ladder rankings and match-making systems in the world are useless if it doesn't run smoothly. -If there's an overpowered boss character of some sort, for god's sake, don't allow them online. Stages -If there is an arcade release, include a stage select in the VS mode. Nothing is more irritating than seeing the same stages/hearing the same songs over and over again if only a few characters are chosen competitively. -Interactive environments can have a huge effect on the game's balance. Tekken 4 was so badly broken by wall combos and uneven surfaces it that Namco abandoned the latter completely for the next game. If you're going to have stage interactivity, make it integral to the way the game plays rather than throwing it in as an afterthought because that will likely break the game. The safer approach is just to have the interactivity on a purely cosmetic level. Gameplay -It should play like its own game rather than like the Alpha series or the SF3 series. Think carefully about how things like alpha counters, custom combos and parries changed the game system positively and negatively and plan accordingly. -Concentrate on making it a good VS fighter first and worry about including extras and single player incentives after. Extras and un-lockables should complement a solid fighting engine, not the other way around. Don't fall in to the MK: Armageddon trap. -Play test the game thoroughly. Fighters can easily end up being broken if they're not examined in-depth before release. Look for things like infinites, abusable loops, kara-cancelling type glitches, etc. New Players -One of the biggest issues with modern fighters is that they make no real effort to ease new players in. Some sort of tutorial/lesson mode would be greatly helpful to people trying to learn the game. Obviously, you can't account for high level stuff that hasn't been discovered yet, but just teaching people the fundamentals can go a long way. Emphasize tactics as well as execution/combos. Graphics/Art Direction -Don't be afraid to go 3D if you haven't already, but keep in mind that the game still needs to feel "right" control-wise. The fastest way to tell whether a SF game's controls feel wrong is if the jumps are too high and floaty (ie. The SFEX series) and the movement is too stiff. This is still Street Fighter not Virtua Fighter or Tekken and it should move at a different pace. Marketing -Hype the game up online. Release little tidbits of information regularly to keep the game fresh in people's minds. Too often, companies will go months or even a year without saying anything and people will start to forget about the game or even doubt that it's going to be released in good form. Games like Smash Bros. Brawl have kept people interested through small, regular releases of new characters and content.

OtakuRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OtakuRay
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
Cell Shaded Okami Style 2,5D it will be great. just like DBZ budokai or tenkaichi but a lot darker
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]Nah, I don't think it's going to be a 3D game. The graphics might be polygonal, but the game itself... I don't think so.TriangleHard

Part of the reason it didn't work had a lot to do with the slow blockly feel of the game, not the fact that it was 3d.

It's funny how in saying all this people forget SF3 which played very differently from the others in feel and pacing yet is still an accepted part of the series because of it's 2d-ness, when in reality it could well have (and probably should've) been another series altogether. Maybe you guys should start looking more at how the game plays rather than something as superficial as perspective. 3d fighters play differently generally from 2d fighters, but not necessarily.

sa10kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sa10kun
Member since 2007 • 4290 Posts
I think it has a high chance of going cell shaded with the success of all these cell shaded games. Alot of their remakes have turned 2d games into 2d games with 3d character models like the megaman remakes. I think they could make it work if they found a way to fix the gameplay of ex. Actually i liked a few character designs in ex and wished theyd do some of those characters in 2d like d. dark.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

SFEX is underrated. There are a lot of good things about the games...I don't know why people hate them so much. Sometimes I wonder if people actually played the EX games. You can do a lot worse, trust me. Rival Schools and Project Justice are also good, so Capcom is capable of making a good 3D fighter. I like my 2D fighters as much as anyone, but we should be prepared for the possibility of the next game being 3D (or "2.5D"). I'm sure Capcom is aware of the importance of SF4, and I'm confident they'll have the right people on the team.King9999

The community hates what doesn't hold up competitively. There, it's all been said in one sentence. Any game we complain about, if the developer would go back, upgrade it, fix the balancing, etc...we'd shut up about it. It's that simple.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
No offense but I think I'd wish for SFIV to not even exist.
madterps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 madterps
Member since 2003 • 3152 Posts
No, never should Capcom make another 3D Street Fighter again...
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkCatalyst

No offense but I think I'd wish for SFIV to not even exist.Gunraidan

I want it, but only if it's done right.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
I want it to stay 2d but have the same art direction as the trailer. That would be awesome.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

I'm glad Street Fighter 4 will be 3D b/c I want it to be FULL 3D. For those of you who don't know, GameSpot has Street Fighter IV classified as 3D Fighting. Anyway, less than 24 hours ago, I would have been COMPLETELY against 3D Street Fighter, but what I saw someone say early this morning made me do a 180. Capcom did not develop the EX series in Street Fighter. That was some new development team so that means Capcom does not suck at 3D fighting. Then he posted two videos of a game that showed that Street Fighter's combat can be done PERFECTLY 3D and that Capcom has already mastered doing 3D fighters. Here are the two videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qT7T04R6Xww

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sauV0XFR8Wo

Rival Schools shows that Capcom can definitely have Street Fighter IV in 3D and keep all of its traditional gameplaywhile giving it the potential it needs to go to the next level. Plus, in full 3D, intense hit detection and beautiful yet gritty painting esque animation that has blood and mud getting splatter all over when you smash someone in the face and morewill make the $tyle of the trailer more possible than ever.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkCatalyst
I'm glad Street Fighter 4 will be 3D b/c I want it to be FULL 3D. For those of you who don't know, GameSpot has Street Fighter IV classified as 3D Fighting. Anyway, less than 24 hours ago, I would have been COMPLETELY against 3D Street Fighter, but what I saw someone say early this morning made me do a 180. Capcom did not develop the EX series in Street Fighter. That was some new development team so that means Capcom does not suck at 3D fighting. Then he posted two videos of a game that showed that Street Fighter's combat can be done PERFECTLY 3D and that Capcom has already mastered doing 3D fighters. Here are the two videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qT7T04R6Xww

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sauV0XFR8Wo

Rival Schools shows that Capcom can definitely have Street Fighter IV in 3D and keep all of its traditional gameplaywhile giving it the potential it needs to go to the next level. Plus, in full 3D, intense hit detection and beautiful yet gritty painting esque animation that has blood and mud getting splatter all over when you smash someone in the face and morewill make the $tyle of the trailer more possible than ever.gunswordfist

That's far from sufficient evidence. Rival Schools was more of a fan-type game than anything, and didn't have to live up to the same kind of technical standards that a Street Fighter game does.

Capcom has proven NOTHING on the 3D side, because they haven't so much as attempted a 3D fighter that would go on the same level as Street Fighter II/Alpha/III. Furthermore, since this is a Street Fighter game, there are more guidelines that have to be met, such as keeping it so consistent that players who have put significant time into II/Alpha/III over the years will reap the same significant benefits from that in IV as they did in the previous sequels.

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
i am hoping that they use the HD version of street fighter 2 like a test run and they make sf 4 with the improved gameplay of street fighter 3, but use the HD resolutions....  KEEP IT 2D!!!!!
Big_O2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Big_O2006
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
I really hope the game doesnt turn out to be a bust.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

[QUOTE="Gunraidan"]No offense but I think I'd wish for SFIV to not even exist.DarkCatalyst

I want it, but only if it's done right.

I was refering to if it was 3D.