GTAV voice actors include actual gangsters

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Also your right, jobs are like leaves on trees, and people just need to pick one, unemployment in the world of Black Knight is a thing of the past,Jacanuk
How many unemployed people do you know who turned to crime? What percentage of unemployed people turn to crime? 0.1% maybe? Wanna know why? Because those who do are bad people and the rest of them are not. A monkey would understand it.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#102 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

William Wallace was a rebel fighting against an oppressive regime, not a crimina. Robin Hood is fictional and still a rebel fighting an oppressor and looking out for the poor and the downtrodden. Neither can be compared to gangbangers.Jacanuk

You clearly need to reread your school books, because your understanding of history lacks so much that i am begining to understand you cant be from a western world, because no school is that bad. First of all Wallace isent what you saw in the movie Bravehearth, second he was also turned in by his own people, so clearly not all saw him as anything but a outlaw/problem. So your point is a complete and utter mute one, and i simply cannot take it serious.

Since you erroneously quoted me, I will be happy to answer. :)

Wallace helped lead a revolt due to England's continued insistence that it had a right to his homeland. How, in any way, does that correlate to anything, at all, about gangbangers?

The only moot point here is your own, because you're trying to tie hoodlums to someone who fought for love of country and freedom. 

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Shame-usBlackley

LOL i love how young and naively black/white you look at things, i guess when you grow up and discover the world or stop getting your news from your "middle class" suburbia fox local news channel, you will see what really is going on in the world. Also your right, jobs are like leaves on trees, and people just need to pick one, unemployment in the world of Black Knight is a thing of the past, also keep thinking that you do not need skills or education to get anything above flipping burgers for minimum wage at McD or cleaning up kids wormit. if you can even get that job. Which means in a US economy that one job is not enough to even get your healthcare in order, so good luck when you get sick. Also of course people who join gangs are the scum of the earth,so you keep up the general stereotype view on people. But a good advice BlackKnight, perhaps try to edcuate yourself and learn that not all people are "evil" some just dont have any choice or any hope, so they turn to a life of crime because why work 12hours a day for less than you can make in a hour. Jacanuk

Yeah, BlackKnight, stop being such a goddamned flag-waving, heartless, NeoCon!!! :P

Seriously, guy, stop while you only look stupid instead of sad as well. At least have the presence of mind to know those who you are attempting to slander. Your characterization of BK is completely and totally off the mark. 

*Goes off to watch Colors*

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Black_Knight_00
Yeah blackknight you should educate yourself. :Pdvader654
That's why I'm here, can't you see? jackanape is teaching me history, literature and sociology. Who needs university when you have gamespot.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#105 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] You clearly need to reread your school books, because your understanding of history lacks so much that i am begining to understand you cant be from a western world, because no school is that bad. First of all Wallace isent what you saw in the movie Bravehearth, second he was also turned in by his own people, so clearly not all saw him as anything but a outlaw/problem. So your point is a complete and utter mute one, and i simply cannot take it serious.

Wallace was turned in by a Scottish nobleman who wanted to gain favor with the king of England, Edward I, not for any of the reasons you imply. Oh and by the way, it's "moot point" not "mute point" What in hell would "mute point" even mean? Don't come talking to me about schooling.

Sure, your the most educated person in the world. Still you seem to miss the boat on a insane amount of basic things, like the fact that you cant put people in boxes, jobs doesn't come easy, requires skills and education, and also that using the term "evil" about another human is kinda narrow minded and shows a very uneducated mindset. Also try to google William Wallace , because gaining favors was not the only reason.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="dvader654"]Yeah blackknight you should educate yourself. :PBlack_Knight_00
That's why I'm here, can't you see? jackanape is teaching me history, literature and sociology. Who needs university when you have gamespot.

Well, you clearly either missed all lectures if your a college student/graduate or your just full of BS.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]Sure, your the most educated person in the world. Still you seem to miss the boat on a insane amount of basic things, like the fact that you cant put people in boxes, jobs doesn't come easy, requires skills and education, and also that using the term "evil" about another human is kinda narrow minded and shows a very uneducated mindset. Also try to google William Wallace , because gaining favors was not the only reason.

Save us the googling and post your sources defining William Wallace as being considered a criminal and a bandit by the Scots.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"] LOL i love how young and naively black/white you look at things, i guess when you grow up and discover the world or stop getting your news from your "middle class" suburbia fox local news channel, you will see what really is going on in the world. Also your right, jobs are like leaves on trees, and people just need to pick one, unemployment in the world of Black Knight is a thing of the past, also keep thinking that you do not need skills or education to get anything above flipping burgers for minimum wage at McD or cleaning up kids wormit. if you can even get that job. Which means in a US economy that one job is not enough to even get your healthcare in order, so good luck when you get sick. Also of course people who join gangs are the scum of the earth,so you keep up the general stereotype view on people. But a good advice BlackKnight, perhaps try to edcuate yourself and learn that not all people are "evil" some just dont have any choice or any hope, so they turn to a life of crime because why work 12hours a day for less than you can make in a hour. Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, BlackKnight, stop being such a goddamned flag-waving, heartless, NeoCon!!! :P

Seriously, guy, stop while you only look stupid instead of sad as well. At least have the presence of mind to know those who you are attempting to slander. Your characterization of BK is completely and totally off the mark. 

*Goes off to watch Colors*

LOL i kinda feel sorry for Blackknight that he has you to argue his case.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]Sure, your the most educated person in the world. Still you seem to miss the boat on a insane amount of basic things, like the fact that you cant put people in boxes, jobs doesn't come easy, requires skills and education, and also that using the term "evil" about another human is kinda narrow minded and shows a very uneducated mindset. Also try to google William Wallace , because gaining favors was not the only reason.Black_Knight_00
Save us the googling and post your sources defining William Wallace as being considered a criminal and a bandit by the Scots.

Sure, as soon as you back up your "jobs are plenty" and all "gangbangers" are evil in a sociology/university educated empiric way.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Black_Knight_00
LOL i kinda feel sorry for Blackknight that he has you to argue his case.Jacanuk
And yet I don't see anyone defending your case.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]LOL i kinda feel sorry for Blackknight that he has you to argue his case.Black_Knight_00

I dont need help in defending my arguments, they speak for themself.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"]LOL i kinda feel sorry for Blackknight that he has you to argue his case.Jacanuk

They sure do. A quick recap of the pearls of wisdom you threw before us pigs here today:

1) There are no evil actions. There are no evil people, only crazy people

2) Gangsters are not bad people, they are simply unemployed dads trying to feed their kids

3) William Wallace and Robin Hood were gangsters hated by their people

Did I forget any?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I think both of you guys are wrong. Gangsters are not heroes or for the people in any way, shape or form; in some areas there are absolutely no jobs at all, not through temp services, not jobs scrubbing toilets, not anywhere because there's a long line of people trying to get them, even those with college degrees are fighting for Mickey D jobs in this terrible economy.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Black_Knight_00

I think both of you guys are wrong. Gangsters are not heroes or for the people in any way, shape or form; in some areas there are absolutely no jobs at all, not through temp services, not jobs scrubbing toilets, not anywhere because there's a long line of people trying to get them, even those with college degrees are fighting for Mickey D jobs in this terrible economy.

Bigboi500
And I suppose you are saying that gangsters are waiting in line for those jobs? That's my whole point. They are not criminals because they are unemployed.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] And yet I don't see anyone defending your case.Black_Knight_00

They sure do. A quick recap of the pearls of wisdom you threw before us pigs here today:

2) Gangsters are not bad people, they are simply unemployed dads trying to feed their kids

Did I forget any?

They sure do speak for themselfs.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

William Wallace was a rebel fighting against an oppressive regime, not a crimina. Robin Hood is fictional and still a rebel fighting an oppressor and looking out for the poor and the downtrodden. Neither can be compared to gangbangers.Shame-usBlackley

You clearly need to reread your school books, because your understanding of history lacks so much that i am begining to understand you cant be from a western world, because no school is that bad. First of all Wallace isent what you saw in the movie Bravehearth, second he was also turned in by his own people, so clearly not all saw him as anything but a outlaw/problem. So your point is a complete and utter mute one, and i simply cannot take it serious.

Since you erroneously quoted me, I will be happy to answer. :)

Wallace helped lead a revolt due to England's continued insistence that it had a right to his homeland. How, in any way, does that correlate to anything, at all, about gangbangers?

The only moot point here is your own, because you're trying to tie hoodlums to someone who fought for love of country and freedom. 

Well, since you answered. First of all my response was to a statement saying that America had a tendency to idolize criminals, not just gangbangers, since Criminals is a much broader term. And my response was that most countries in the world do that. My use of Wallace was to show a criminal, because in the end he was in the eyes of the law a criminal. What happened after that was a case of history, you say one thing, i say another and you of course believe what you say more, why else say it, but try to google it.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Shame-usBlackley

Bigboi500

Gang violence was just as bad under Clinton and a booming economy. It may even have been worse -- does anyone have any statistics on gang violence in the states over the last couple decades?

Economics are A factor, but the assertion that gang violence is a direct result of the economy is flimsy at best. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Black_Knight_00

And I suppose you are saying that gangsters are waiting in line for those jobs? That's my whole point. They are not criminals because they are unemployed.

I've explained why some kids joined gangs, but sure, there are always evil people who just want to get by from doing bad things. There are a whole host of reasons why a large percentage of black youths turn to crime, and there's no quick solution to fixing poverty, inequality, crime and employment issues.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] And yet I don't see anyone defending your case.Black_Knight_00

Did I forget any?

Again evil is a christian term.

And try to recap what i actually said and not just make up things.

What i said was that gangbangers are not all "evil" some turn to this because its their only option, in some neighbourhoods there are no neutral. 

2) "gangsters" ? i thought we were talking about people in gangs, gangsters are a term used about people who were in the Mafia or are in the Mafia. But again some are family dads who just want to provide a way for them to live. But thats a whole new point your making here. 

3) Actually what i said was that all countries have their "criminals" to idolize , again in the eyes of the law, Wallace was a criminal, which by your term makes him evil and all he should do is get a job that bum.

But lets recap what you said

1) All Criminals/Gangbangers are evil

2) If they got a job because jobs are plenty, they would never turn to a life of crime

3) Wallace was a good guy because he was for some in Scotland a freedom fighter (Which contradicts your first point) 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Shame-usBlackley

Gang violence was just as bad under Clinton and a booming economy. It may even have been worse -- does anyone have any statistics on gang violence in the states over the last couple decades?

Economics is A factor, but the assertion that gang violence is a direct result of the economy is flimsy at best. 

It's not a democrat or republican problem in the US. It's a Capitalism problem in my opinion, but I dont' want to start a political philosophy discussion as I'm trying to watch the ball game.

Crime is always going to exist, and part of the reason why is because of necessity and lack of governmental leadership and policy. Just saying simple shit like "get a job" isn't going to help, or be an accurate assessment of severe problems we face when dealing with issues like this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Shame-usBlackley

Economics is A factor, but the assertion that gang violence is a direct result of the economy is flimsy at best. 

So what you are saying is that there would be potential for gangs in middle class area as there would be in a poor area? Of course you can pinpoint a direct correlation between social economic standings and crime ie Gangs. Is it the only reason of course not, as i said in some areas there are no other option and many are forced into gangs from early childhood.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

It's not a democrat or republican problem in the US. It's a Capitalism problem in my opinion, but I dont' want to start a political philosophy discussion as I'm trying to watch the ball game.

Crime is always going to exist, and part of the reason why is because of necessity and lack of governmental leadership and policy. Just saying simple shit like "get a job" isn't going to help, or be an accurate assessment of severe problems we face when dealing with issues like this.

I'm not either; I'm just pointing out that the last time the economy was actually considered "good" (which was under Clinton) and jobs were abundant, there were still rampant gang problems. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

Spot on, putting gangs/crime/poverty down to Republican/democrat is Fox news argumentation. Gangs and poverty is majorly a capitalist problem.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Shame-usBlackley

I'm not either; I'm just pointing out that the last time the economy was actually considered "good" (which was under Clinton) and jobs were abundant, there were still rampant gang problems. 

But you forget to look at who and where the jobs were plenty, and where the economic boomed. But if i remember correct, US reported the lowest statics for crime in a long time under Clinton and the booming economy.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Black_Knight_00
Again evil is a christian term.

And try to recap what i actually said and not just make up things.

What i said was that gangbangers are not all "evil" some turn to this because its their only option, in some neighbourhoods there are no neutral. 

2) "gangsters" ? i thought we were talking about people in gangs, gangsters are a term used about people who were in the Mafia or are in the Mafia. But again some are family dads who just want to provide a way for them to live. But thats a whole new point your making here. 

3) Actually what i said was that all countries have their "criminals" to idolize , again in the eyes of the law, Wallace was a criminal, which by your term makes him evil and all he should do is get a job that bum.

But lets recap what you said

1) All Criminals/Gangbangers are evil

2) If they got a job because jobs are plenty, they would never turn to a life of crime

3) Wallace was a good guy because he was for some in Scotland a freedom fighter (Which contradicts your first point) 

Jacanuk
No, evil is by no means a christian term, in fact Greek philosophers were arguing about the nature of evil some 6 centuries before christ. 1) An absolute which I never used. I said that people who rob other people or deal in harmful drugs are doing evil and are most likely evil 2) I said they choose crime because it's easy money. Exactly the opposite of what you understood 3) I am not expressing a moral judgement on Wallace, I am saying that patriot=/=criminal (though obviously the king of England would call him criminal, duh) By the way, gangster is whoever belongs to a gang, not just the tommygun-toting Al Capone type.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] No, evil is by no means a christian term, in fact Greek philosophers were arguing about the nature of evil some 6 centuries before christ. 1) An absolute which I never used. I said that people who rob other people or deal in harmful drugs are doing evil and are most likely evil 2) I said they choose crime because it's easy money. Exactly the opposite of what you understood 3) I am not expressing a moral judgement on Wallace, I am saying that patriot=/=criminal (though obviously the king of England would call him criminal, duh) By the way, gangster is whoever belongs to a gang, not just the tommygun-toting Al Capone type.

Actually evil is, if you want to talk about ancient Greece, they would have used kakos which doesn't exactly mean "evil" in the same manor as you use it.

1) Eh? unless you go back and edit your posts you have on multiple occasions used it as a absolute, if you had said "some are "evil"" i wouldn't even have put a finger on a key.

2) And again some do your correct in thinking that some do it because its easy money, as i also said a few posts ago, where you use another absolute is saying that all do it, and all they need is to get a job, sure a job helps and most like to make a honest living, but again some dont have a choice, some get killed finacial because they get sick, some do it because they live in a part of town where your either with us or against us.

3) I am not even talking morally, i was responding to a post that made it seem like americans had a worse history of making idols out of criminals, which again they dont, a lot of countries have that idea. which you then came in with "hoho gangbangers" And yes gangsters in its pure meaning, means anyone in a gang, but the term is most commonly used as a way of describing your wiseguy Al-capone type. but thats just lowering the bar, so use what ever you want.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Black_Knight_00

Actually evil is, if you want to talk about ancient Greece, they would have used kakos which doesn't exactly mean "evil" in the same manor as you use it.

1) Eh? unless you go back and edit your posts you have on multiple occasions used it as a absolute, if you had said "some are "evil"" i wouldn't even have put a finger on a key.

2) And again some do your correct in thinking that some do it because its easy money, as i also said a few posts ago, where you use another absolute is saying that all do it, and all they need is to get a job, sure a job helps and most like to make a honest living, but again some dont have a choice, some get killed finacial because they get sick, some do it because they live in a part of town where your either with us or against us.

3) I am not even talking morally, i was responding to a post that made it seem like americans had a worse history of making idols out of criminals, which again they dont, a lot of countries have that idea. which you then came in with "hoho gangbangers" And yes gangsters in its pure meaning, means anyone in a gang, but the term is most commonly used as a way of describing your wiseguy Al-capone type. but thats just lowering the bar, so use what ever you want.

Jacanuk

You do well to mention the term "kakos" which in greek means exactly "evil, ill, wrongdoing, maleficience" To one of my favorites, Epicurus (3rd century BC), belongs a famous quote "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?". Evil is not a christian concept, as christianity is pretty much one of the newest kids on the block when it comes to religions and/or philosophy.

That's one point sorted out for good. On to the rest of this toot.

1) I forgot that on the internet people take everything literally. If someone says "Men are pigs" it does not mean that 100% of men are pigs. It's a figure of speech, which is rocket science for so many people, I learned. I keep forgetting that I need to spell out every single concept in the driest, most barebones and inequivocable way possible or it will be misunderstood.

2) I don't know what post you are referring to, but I haven't said that job=no crime. I said that poeple who end up in gangs are not in line at job centers, which I challenge you to deny.

3) Gangster is used for all sorts of gangs. There is an entire musical genre call "gangsta rap" Gangsta=gangster. Why are we even arguing about this?

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Jacanuk

So what you are saying is that there would be potential for gangs in middle class area as there would be in a poor area? Of course you can pinpoint a direct correlation between social economic standings and crime ie Gangs. Is it the only reason of course not, as i said in some areas there are no other option and many are forced into gangs from early childhood.

Your argument was that opportunity vis a vis economic factors was an issue. I stated that was not the case. In a booming economy, gang initiation rates went up, not down. You weren't arguing about middle or lower class areas, nor was I. However, gangs have permeated the middle class. The three boys who shot that Aussie ball player last week were from a small, middle-class town. Instead of saying that the middle-class is immune to the issue (which is just as much a fallacy as saying that only poor ethnic kids become gang members), we should instead focus on the argument, and that was that economic opportunity has little to do with it. 

And while I realize that gang life is often forced on kids, that is no different than saying that many unemployed hillbillies aren't victims of circumstance either. Bottom line? Personal accountability and initiative have to come into the equation somewhere. Preparedness meets opportunity and all that. Everyone has their own set of challenges, some more than others. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Jacanuk

You do well to mention the term "kakos" which in greek means exactly "evil, ill, wrongdoing, maleficience" To one of my favorites, Epicurus (3rd century BC), belongs a famous quote "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?". Evil is not a christian concept, as christianity is pretty much one of the newest kids on the block when it comes to religions and/or philosophy.

That's one point sorted out for good. On to the rest of this toot.

1) I forgot that on the internet people take everything literally. If someone says "Men are pigs" it does not mean that 100% of men are pigs. It's a figure of speech, which is rocket science for so many people, I learned. I keep forgetting that I need to spell out every single concept in the driest, most barebones and inequivocable way possible or it will be misunderstood.

2) I don't know what post you are referring to, but I haven't said that job=no crime. I said that poeple who end up in gangs are not in line at job centers, which I challenge you to deny.

3) Gangster is used for all sorts of gangs. There is an entire musical genre call "gangsta rap" Gangsta=gangster. Why are we even arguing about this?

Black_Knight_00

And you will do well to mention that the term Kakos doesn't mean evil, it actually literally means in a direct translation "rotten character" the problem we are then faced with here is that the term Evil is also being used to describe its meaning today.  But evil today in most cases doesn't just mean "rotten character" So i hope you can see the problem.

1) Well, thats the problem with forums, also you could just have said that you of course didn´t mean ALL in response to my post, and that would have been that 

2) A Lot don't have a job, but i can assure you 100% that some also have jobs, but that wasn't really what the debate was on about, it was more the "just get a job" remark since you must be aware that its not always easy to get a job even if you want to.

3) Ya, i know this is kinda ridiculous to argue over.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]It's not a democrat or republican problem in the US. It's a Capitalism problem in my opinion, but I dont' want to start a political philosophy discussion as I'm trying to watch the ball game.

Jacanuk

But you forget to look at who and where the jobs were plenty, and where the economic boomed. But if i remember correct, US reported the lowest statics for crime in a long time under Clinton and the booming economy.

Please. Unemployment under Clinton was 4%, and I didn't even like the guy. It's just the hard truth -- if you wanted a job under Clinton, you could find one. Are you really asking me to believe that there was some invisible point of delineation between the Jobs Zone and the No Jobs Zone?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

Please. Unemployment under Clinton was 4%, and I didn't even like the guy. It's just the hard truth -- if you wanted a job under Clinton, you could find one. Are you really asking me to believe that there was some invisible point of delineation between the Jobs Zone and the No Jobs Zone?

I am not disagreeing with you, i am just saying that if you want to explain a rise in gang members you can explain it with that in those areas, the boom wasn't as prominent as in other parts. But are you sure there was a rise? because as i wrote, the crime rate was the lowest in years during that time.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"] But you forget to look at who and where the jobs were plenty, and where the economic boomed. But if i remember correct, US reported the lowest statics for crime in a long time under Clinton and the booming economy.Jacanuk

But are you sure there was a rise? because as i wrote, the crime rate was the lowest in years during that time.

It's hard to find absolute data. However, I did find a DOJ docket on youth gang involvement from 2002, which cites:

An estimated 731,500 gang mem bers and more than 21,500 gangs were active in the United States in 2002. This compares with an estimated 846,000 and 30,800, respectively, in 1996. Reports of youth gang problems by law enforcement agencies in rural and suburban counties and in cities with populations of less than 100,000 noticeably declined over initial survey years. Despite these declines, gangs remain a significant problem, particularly in large cities. Every city with a population of 250,000 or more reported the presence of youth gangs in 2002, as they had in every survey.

The economy began going in the shitter in the early 2000s, yet there was a drop in youth gang activity. The numbers were much higher when the economy was really cranking away in 1996. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Black_Knight_00

And you will do well to mention that the term Kakos doesn't mean evil, it actually literally means in a direct translation "rotten character" the problem we are then faced with here is that the term Evil is also being used to describe its meaning today.  But evil today in most cases doesn't just mean "rotten character" So i hope you can see the problem.

1) Well, thats the problem with forums, also you could just have said that you of course didn´t mean ALL in response to my post, and that would have been that 

2) A Lot don't have a job, but i can assure you 100% that some also have jobs, but that wasn't really what the debate was on about, it was more the "just get a job" remark since you must be aware that its not always easy to get a job even if you want to.

Jacanuk

Etymology of the term is uncertain, so unless you can cite sources I don't know where you found that "rotten character" connotation. As you can easily verify, kakòs it's the contrary of kalòs, which in turn means "good".

Actually "just get a job" is correct: the military is pretty much always enlisting, and not even for combat roles, they are always looking for personnel even in logistic fields (laundry service, kitchen service, supplies). There's always the option to move to better areas where work is more readily available. Trading companies are always looking for sailors to man their cargo ships, drilling companies are always looking for workers to send on open sea platforms or to Alaska. No one wants to work on fishing boats, so fishermen are always looking for help. These latter jobs are pretty tough, but they are there for people with nowhere else to go. There is no excuse for choosing a life of crime. None.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Bigboi500

Actually "just get a job" is correct: the military is pretty much always enlisting, and not even for combat roles, they are always looking for personnel even in logistic fields (laundry service, kitchen service, supplies). There's always the option to move to better areas where work is more readily available. Trading companies are always looking for sailors to man their cargo ships, drilling companies are always looking for workers to send on open sea platforms or to Alaska. No one wants to work on fishing boats, so fishermen are always looking for help. These latter jobs are pretty tough, but they are there for people with nowhere else to go. There is no excuse for choosing a life of crime. None.

Black_Knight_00

wow... :?

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]And you will do well to mention that the term Kakos doesn't mean evil, it actually literally means in a direct translation "rotten character" the problem we are then faced with here is that the term Evil is also being used to describe its meaning today.  But evil today in most cases doesn't just mean "rotten character" So i hope you can see the problem.

Black_Knight_00

Etymology of the term is uncertain, so unless you can cite sources I don't know where you found that "rotten character" connotation. As you can easily verify, kakòs it's the contrary of kalòs, which in turn means "good".

You, and most of us on GameSpot, live in a bubble man. For some people, there seems like there is no other option. Even if the option exists, you need to account for their personal upbringing. If your dad was shot and killed, and your mother is a heroin addict, it's unlikely you'll be educated enough to even know or consider the job options you listed above. "Just get a job" is really you speaking from a privileged position. It doesn't work for everyone in the way you're describing. Also, the ability to make fast, easy money is extremely enticing to youngsters who don't fully recognize the seriousness of their actions. So even if you were to offer them a legitimate job somewhere overseas, or in Alaska, why would they take it? It's extremely idealistic to say that everyone should be clean-cut, and that there aren't excuses to be in a life of crime. There certainly are.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]You, and most of us on GameSpot, live in a bubble man. For some people, there seems like there is no other option. Even if the option exists, you need to account for their personal upbringing. If your dad was shot and killed, and your mother is a heroin addict, it's unlikely you'll be educated enough to even know or consider the job options you listed above. "Just get a job" is really you speaking from a privileged position. It doesn't work for everyone in the way you're describing. Also, the ability to make fast, easy money is extremely enticing to youngsters who don't fully recognize the seriousness of their actions. So even if you were to offer them a legitimate job somewhere overseas, or in Alaska, why would they take it? It's extremely idealistic to say that everyone should be clean-cut, and that there aren't excuses to be in a life of crime. There certainly are.

You are corect when you say that we speak from a privileged position, but there still are no excuses for becoming a criminal. If your dad was shot it doesn't justify you becoming a criminal. If you have no job it does not excuse you for becoming a criminal. If you were raised by bad people to follow in their footsteps and become a bad person that still does not make you a good person and does not excuse you for becoming a criminal. If tomorrow your brother were accidentally killed by a loose bullet in a gangster drive-by you would not think "oh well, they had a shitty childhood, I don't blame them" you would understand they are bad people who destabilize society and put honest decent people in danger. It's silly to believe they point guns at people because they don't know any better. Even they most evil motherf*cker in the world knows threatening innocents with violence is an evil act, but chooses to do so anyway. That's the nature of evil, doing what you know is wrong disregarding the consequences.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Shame-usBlackley

By the way, not to stir up any more shit or anything, but here's the definition of evil:

"profoundly immoral and malevolent."

Moraiity is the distinction of right and wrong, essentially. BlackKnight is correct -- the use of the term only has religious connotations when used in certain contexts. It is fully logical and proper to use it when describing the actions of someone who possesses an unclear grasp of right and wrong. 

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]You, and most of us on GameSpot, live in a bubble man. For some people, there seems like there is no other option. Even if the option exists, you need to account for their personal upbringing. If your dad was shot and killed, and your mother is a heroin addict, it's unlikely you'll be educated enough to even know or consider the job options you listed above. "Just get a job" is really you speaking from a privileged position. It doesn't work for everyone in the way you're describing. Also, the ability to make fast, easy money is extremely enticing to youngsters who don't fully recognize the seriousness of their actions. So even if you were to offer them a legitimate job somewhere overseas, or in Alaska, why would they take it? It's extremely idealistic to say that everyone should be clean-cut, and that there aren't excuses to be in a life of crime. There certainly are.

You are corect when you say that we speak from a privileged position, but there still are no excuses for becoming a criminal. If your dad was shot it doesn't justify you becoming a criminal. If you have no job it does not excuse you for becoming a criminal. If you were raised by bad people to follow in their footsteps and become a bad person that still does not make you a good person and does not excuse you for becoming a criminal. If tomorrow your brother were accidentally killed by a loose bullet in a gangster drive-by you would not think "oh well, they had a shitty childhood, I don't blame them" you would understand they are bad people who destabilize society and put honest decent people in danger. It's silly to believe they point guns at people because they don't know any better. Even they most evil motherf*cker in the world knows threatening innocents with violence is an evil act, but chooses to do so anyway. That's the nature of evil, doing what you know is wrong disregarding the consequences.

I still disagree. It's not as white/black as your making it out to be. There are definitely legitimate reasons for WHY people resort to crime. From our perspective, of course there's not going to be a justification for it. But you have to put your viewpoint in a context specific to your situation. It's not silly to believe "they point guns at people because they don't know any better". Some of them really don't. Or they're in such a desperate situation, they don't care at all. What is considered to be "evil" is entirely dependent on context of a given situation, and also on the mental status of a person. Someone who has a serious mental illness might see violent acts as being 'good' (albeit, in a twisted way). It doesn't justify what they're doing to US, but to that person it's justified. The world isn't black and white. It's shades of grey. Some people are socially and genetically more prone to being involved with criminal behaviour. Does that justify it? Not to us. But it's impossible for you OR me to put ourselves in their position. I think to some, criminal behaviour is a last resort to support their family. In areas where NOT engaging in criminal behaviour isn't the norm, how can anyone growing up in that kind of environment really avoid it? It takes a ton of luck and positive social influence to do so. TL;DR version = I'm not justifying criminal acts. Black/white mentality of people is wrong. Criminals aren't 100% bad. There is no justification for what these people do, but that viewpoint is reliant on our privileged lifestyles. Bad social and environmental influences will ultimately produce humans prone to more criminal activity. Would you justify stealing? Probably not. But what if that involved feeding a family of four starving kids? The context of the scenario is important to consider. It isn't as easy as you make it out to be for people to just drop everything and join the army, or move to Alaska.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 chrisrooR

By the way, not to stir up any more shit or anything, but here's the definition of evil:

Moraiity is the distinction of right and wrong, essentially. BlackKnight is correct -- the use of the term only has religious connotations when used in certain contexts. It is fully logical and proper to use it when describing the actions of someone who possesses an unclear grasp of right and wrong. 

Shame-usBlackley
And where are these morals derived from? Right and wrong are dependent on social, environmental, evolutionary, and genetic factors.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Shame-usBlackley

chrisrooR

And where are these morals derived from? Right and wrong are dependent on social, environmental, evolutionary, and genetic factors.

But not specifically religion. The argument being waged was that the term "evil" was entirely Christian, which it clearly is not.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]I still disagree. It's not as white/black as your making it out to be. There are definitely legitimate reasons for WHY people resort to crime. From our perspective, of course there's not going to be a justification for it. But you have to put your viewpoint in a context specific to your situation. It's not silly to believe "they point guns at people because they don't know any better". Some of them really don't. Or they're in such a desperate situation, they don't care at all. What is considered to be "evil" is entirely dependent on context of a given situation, and also on the mental status of a person. Someone who has a serious mental illness might see violent acts as being 'good' (albeit, in a twisted way). It doesn't justify what they're doing to US, but to that person it's justified. The world isn't black and white. It's shades of grey. Some people are socially and genetically more prone to being involved with criminal behaviour. Does that justify it? Not to us. But it's impossible for you OR me to put ourselves in their position. I think to some, criminal behaviour is a last resort to support their family. In areas where NOT engaging in criminal behaviour isn't the norm, how can anyone growing up in that kind of environment really avoid it? It takes a ton of luck and positive social influence to do so. TL;DR version = I'm not justifying criminal acts. Black/white mentality of people is wrong. Criminals aren't 100% bad. There is no justification for what these people do, but that viewpoint is reliant on our privileged lifestyles. Bad social and environmental influences will ultimately produce humans prone to more criminal activity. Would you justify stealing? Probably not. But what if that involved feeding a family of four starving kids? The context of the scenario is important to consider. It isn't as easy as you make it out to be for people to just drop everything and join the army, or move to Alaska.

Again with the "100%" crap. No one's saying that 100% of [group] is [trait], of course exceptions exist, but by definition exceptions are a tiny minority.
Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#142 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]You, and most of us on GameSpot, live in a bubble man. For some people, there seems like there is no other option. Even if the option exists, you need to account for their personal upbringing. If your dad was shot and killed, and your mother is a heroin addict, it's unlikely you'll be educated enough to even know or consider the job options you listed above. "Just get a job" is really you speaking from a privileged position. It doesn't work for everyone in the way you're describing. Also, the ability to make fast, easy money is extremely enticing to youngsters who don't fully recognize the seriousness of their actions. So even if you were to offer them a legitimate job somewhere overseas, or in Alaska, why would they take it? It's extremely idealistic to say that everyone should be clean-cut, and that there aren't excuses to be in a life of crime. There certainly are.

I still disagree. It's not as white/black as your making it out to be. There are definitely legitimate reasons for WHY people resort to crime. From our perspective, of course there's not going to be a justification for it. But you have to put your viewpoint in a context specific to your situation. It's not silly to believe "they point guns at people because they don't know any better". Some of them really don't. Or they're in such a desperate situation, they don't care at all. What is considered to be "evil" is entirely dependent on context of a given situation, and also on the mental status of a person. Someone who has a serious mental illness might see violent acts as being 'good' (albeit, in a twisted way). It doesn't justify what they're doing to US, but to that person it's justified. The world isn't black and white. It's shades of grey. Some people are socially and genetically more prone to being involved with criminal behaviour. Does that justify it? Not to us. But it's impossible for you OR me to put ourselves in their position. I think to some, criminal behaviour is a last resort to support their family. In areas where NOT engaging in criminal behaviour isn't the norm, how can anyone growing up in that kind of environment really avoid it? It takes a ton of luck and positive social influence to do so. TL;DR version = I'm not justifying criminal acts. Black/white mentality of people is wrong. Criminals aren't 100% bad. There is no justification for what these people do, but that viewpoint is reliant on our privileged lifestyles. Bad social and environmental influences will ultimately produce humans prone to more criminal activity. Would you justify stealing? Probably not. But what if that involved feeding a family of four starving kids? The context of the scenario is important to consider. It isn't as easy as you make it out to be for people to just drop everything and join the army, or move to Alaska.

Good mention. This is a point that you only see addressed in philosophy class or old 80's flicks like Trading Places. How can one affirm they are a moral good being, even with a life of good works and a good heart if they've never been exposed to the same capacity or desperation to commit wrong. or had their resolve tested to the same degree. We for the most are comfortable and must acknowledge this before agressively judging others the way we do.
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 platinumking320
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"]I still disagree. It's not as white/black as your making it out to be. There are definitely legitimate reasons for WHY people resort to crime. From our perspective, of course there's not going to be a justification for it. But you have to put your viewpoint in a context specific to your situation. It's not silly to believe "they point guns at people because they don't know any better". Some of them really don't. Or they're in such a desperate situation, they don't care at all. What is considered to be "evil" is entirely dependent on context of a given situation, and also on the mental status of a person. Someone who has a serious mental illness might see violent acts as being 'good' (albeit, in a twisted way). It doesn't justify what they're doing to US, but to that person it's justified. The world isn't black and white. It's shades of grey. Some people are socially and genetically more prone to being involved with criminal behaviour. Does that justify it? Not to us. But it's impossible for you OR me to put ourselves in their position. I think to some, criminal behaviour is a last resort to support their family. In areas where NOT engaging in criminal behaviour isn't the norm, how can anyone growing up in that kind of environment really avoid it? It takes a ton of luck and positive social influence to do so. TL;DR version = I'm not justifying criminal acts. Black/white mentality of people is wrong. Criminals aren't 100% bad. There is no justification for what these people do, but that viewpoint is reliant on our privileged lifestyles. Bad social and environmental influences will ultimately produce humans prone to more criminal activity. Would you justify stealing? Probably not. But what if that involved feeding a family of four starving kids? The context of the scenario is important to consider. It isn't as easy as you make it out to be for people to just drop everything and join the army, or move to Alaska.

Again with the "100%" crap. No one's saying that 100% of [group] is [trait], of course exceptions exist, but by definition exceptions are a tiny minority.

You also have to realize that its a crowd psychology problem. It always starts from a few control freaks that manipulate youngsters down to their level. They would have had different lives if the pull and power of the gangs werent so strong and pervasive. Thats why people set up rehab programs for gang members. The Ted Bundys and James Holmes, of the world make up their own minds to savagely destroy human life and feed their own psychosis. If you could even call it that.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#144 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Shame-usBlackley

But not specifically religion. The argument being waged was that the term "evil" was entirely Christian, which it clearly is not.

I felt the need to chime in on this as well because clearly, the designation of "evil" as being a Christian invention is absolutely and demonstrably false.

The entire notion of good vs. evil and the accompanying dualistic struggle related to these concepts predate the Christian faith by centuries, perhaps millennia.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Black_Knight_00
You also have to realize that its a crowd psychology problem. It always starts from a few control freaks that manipulate youngsters down to their level. They would have had different lives if the pull and power of the gangs werent so strong and pervasive. Thats why people set up rehab programs for gang members. The Ted Bundys and James Holmes, of the world make up their own minds to savagely destroy human life and feed their own psychosis. If you could even call it that.platinumking320
Yes, people can have a change of heart and decide they want out of the gang, but until then there is no moral ambiguity for what they are doing. Let's borrow from fiction and take Breaking Bad as an example, I've only seen a couple episodes, but by what I gather it's about a chemistry teacher who decides to deal crack in order to leave money to his family when he dies of cancer. Shades of gray, right? Wrong, there is no redeeming factor if you do evil to look out for your own. Life is not a movie.
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 platinumking320
[QUOTE="platinumking320"]You also have to realize that its a crowd psychology problem. It always starts from a few control freaks that manipulate youngsters down to their level. They would have had different lives if the pull and power of the gangs werent so strong and pervasive. Thats why people set up rehab programs for gang members. The Ted Bundys and James Holmes, of the world make up their own minds to savagely destroy human life and feed their own psychosis. If you could even call it that.Black_Knight_00
Yes, people can have a change of heart and decide they want out of the gang, but until then there is no moral ambiguity for what they are doing. Let's borrow from fiction and take Breaking Bad as an example, I've only seen a couple episodes, but by what I gather it's about a chemistry teacher who decides to deal crack in order to leave money to his family when he dies of cancer. Shades of gray, right? Wrong, there is no redeeming factor if you do evil to look out for your own. Life is not a movie.

true. but a 'person' has to deal with the balances of fate and repercussions of their own actions. Here this sounds like a collective judgement of many individuals whose circumstances have too many nuances to dump in one general hole. Look at the cartel situation in mexico. That is not an easy situation for people to just consciously pull out of. Nor would any gang situation be Onto ethics in utilizing former gang members in GTA. The houser bros cast Jenna Jameson in Vice City so considering their track record this is not a major blip on the ethics radar. There are far more serious conflicts of interest and potential conflict of interest examples in American entertainment. Movies financed with money that may not be legit. Entertainers used as puppets for private and violent business wars. Subversive hate propaganda in cable news. An investigative journalist or parole officer would look at the usage of gang members and shrug. With people who are so institutionalized its harder to adopt to a straight and arrow civil life ( whats more real than that ) Besides there is still a big amount of poor acting for all the good acting out there.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="platinumking320"] true. but a 'person' has to deal with the balances of fate and repercussions of their own actions. Here this sounds like a collective judgement of many individuals whose circumstances have too many nuances to dump in one general hole. Look at the cartel situation in mexico. That is not an easy situation for people to just consciously pull out of. Nor would any gang situation be

Circumstances do vary, but the actions remain. Murderers and robbers remain as such regardless of their personal excuses for doing what they do. We are what we do.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="platinumking320"] true. but a 'person' has to deal with the balances of fate and repercussions of their own actions. Here this sounds like a collective judgement of many individuals whose circumstances have too many nuances to dump in one general hole. Look at the cartel situation in mexico. That is not an easy situation for people to just consciously pull out of. Nor would any gang situation be

Circumstances do vary, but the actions remain. Murderers and robbers remain as such regardless of their personal excuses for doing what they do. We are what we do.

But the occurrence of each is relevant within the context of a situation. You might be labeled as a murdered and be innocent. Or labeled as a murderer when the criminal act was the killing of a person who was sexually assaulting your child. And the whole label is left up to the criminal justice system to decide, and I don't think I need to go into how flawed that system is. We are what we do, but that's only our own private life. The actual fact is that there is a TON of other forces pushing and pulling you (genetic, social atmosphere) which influence you in such a way that you can really never know everything about someone's intentions to do something. Only the person will, considering of course that he/she is competent and cognitively unimpaired. Actions are tied inextricably to the circumstances surrounding them. Tell people in Nicaragua who live in absolute monetary poverty and try and convince them to go to Alaska, or go join the Army. There are places in the world where what you and I would consider 'criminal' behaviour is actually quite normal. In some cases this results in some good - a parent can feed his/her kids if she works on a coca farm where it's refined into cocaine for example. The person doesn't have the knowledge or education you and I have about the 'moral' nature of this. The person does it purely to survive. Also, remember this. 180,000 years ago our ancestors had an average life expectancy of 16. The murder rate was that of Detroit today - everywhere. We've come a long way in terms of co-operating with one another, and thankfully in some privileged areas of the world we can go on harmoniously together. But if the food supply were to dwindle, the power to completely shut off indefinitely, it would eventually degrade into very casual criminal behaviour. The acts become justified when YOU personally have to commit it to survive yourself.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Black_Knight_00
Tell people in Nicaragua who live in absolute monetary poverty and try and convince them to go to Alaska, or go join the Army. There are places in the world where what you and I would consider 'criminal' behaviour is actually quite normal.chrisrooR
We are talking about american gangs here.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 chrisrooR
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]Tell people in Nicaragua who live in absolute monetary poverty and try and convince them to go to Alaska, or go join the Army. There are places in the world where what you and I would consider 'criminal' behaviour is actually quite normal.Black_Knight_00
We are talking about american gangs here.

No, your statements were broad and inclusive of all. "Circumstances do vary, but the actions remain. Murderers and robbers remain as such regardless of their personal excuses for doing what they do. We are what we do." You were even responding to a comment about a Mexican Cartel yourself....