Gamespy declares Kefka Palazzo to the greatest video game villain ever.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14900 Posts

http://www.gamespy.com/

It was for the Dissidia profiles of villains they are doing.

While I do think there are more notable long standing villains in gaming....I do think even though Kefka was in a single game, he is the best villain of all time.

Bretten2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bretten2
Member since 2003 • 55 Posts

I don't know if I agree with that, I found him dry, predictable and not a very realistic villain!

ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts

Yeah, i agree with that. Kefka was a damn good villian.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Hmm, maybe I should get going on finishing Final Fantasy VI at some point..

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Kefka was an amazing villain. He was so funny.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
What about the guy from BioShock. I've always found that the villains that are realistic, with distorted, though understandable, perceptions of the world are more frightening than many others.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
What about the guy from BioShock. I've always found that the villains that are realistic, with distorted, though understandable, perceptions of the world are more frightening than many others.muthsera666
Atlas or Andrew Ryan? Weren't both of them villains? Someone correct me >_>
jazznate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jazznate
Member since 2008 • 1202 Posts

Kefka was one psychotic clown. Poisoning the water supply of a town is one of the least terrible things he's done which says a lot.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I agree with this. I don't mind if Kefka is the top evil dog. He is evil.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]What about the guy from BioShock. I've always found that the villains that are realistic, with distorted, though understandable, perceptions of the world are more frightening than many others.Lethalhazard
Atlas or Andrew Ryan? Weren't both of them villains? Someone correct me >_>

I have no idea. I've never played the game. That was just a hypothetical situation, lol.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

I agree with this. I don't mind if Kefka is the top evil dog. He is evil.ASK_Story

QFT. He also succeeded in an area that so many RPG villains failed: He accomplished what he set out to do.

Meemtyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meemtyke
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts
What about the guy from BioShock. I've always found that the villains that are realistic, with distorted, though understandable, perceptions of the world are more frightening than many others.muthsera666
Yeah, yeah and yeah!
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I have to agree with that pick. Kefka was, in my view, the perfect villain: ridiculously over the top such that you can't help but viciously hate and want to murder him, but not quite far enough that it becomes self-parody and kills the drama.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 texasgoldrush

Kefka was one psychotic clown. Poisoning the water supply of a town is one of the least terrible things he's done which says a lot.

jazznate
Its more than just what he does, it is the fact that he knows people will die and he jokes about it. "What is the fun of destruction if no precious lives are lost"......basically he kills people or make them suffer for enjoyment. I actually find that Kefka is the true central character of FFVI. The games storyline revolves around him basically.
shocka-delica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shocka-delica
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts

pffft, he can't be as evil as dr cortex

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#16 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I used to think he was evil but he's not a very good character. he's a flat character and someone pretty easy to write because he has no history of why he does things, he has no motives besides just causing death, even 1980's horror movie icons like Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees have more personality than Kefkas sorry excuse of a character.
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

I can't stand the "I'm evil because I like to hurt people or I'm evil because I like to show how evil I am!!!!" villain. When it's done really spectacularly well, it can be pretty good, but for the most part, you end up with villains like Nene. I'll even give a little on villains who are out for power or vengance like Sun Li or Jon Irenicus.

In the end though, give me a deep villain with motives that put him in conflict with the protagonist, yet still feels he's doing the right thing. Someone you can almost sympathize with, like Saren.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

I can't stand the "I'm evil because I like to hurt people or I'm evil because I like to show how evil I am!!!!" villain. When it's done really spectacularly well, it can be pretty good, but for the most part, you end up with villains like Nene. I'll even give a little on villains who are out for power or vengance like Sun Li or Jon Irenicus.

In the end though, give me a deep villain with motives that put him in conflict with the protagonist, yet still feels he's doing the right thing. Someone you can almost sympathize with, like Saren.

Kefka is comparable to villains such as the Joker, Anton Chigurh of No Country For Old Men, or the Judge from the book Blood Meridian. Those that live by their own code that others don't understand, just them. And Kefka did have a motive, he wanted to prove that life is meaningless, that was is true motive....it was just like the Joker from Dark Knight, who was out to prove when the chips were down that they were no alturists. Both were proven wrong at the end. You have to look at who the villain is a foil of, in this case, Kefka is the foil of the two women (Terra and Celes) that he and the Empire abused. Both women believed in the end in the meaning of true love and both represented hope.
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

[QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

texasgoldrush

Kefka is comparable to villains such as the Joker, Anton Chigurh of No Country For Old Men, or the Judge from the book Blood Meridian. Those that live by their own code that others don't understand, just them. And Kefka did have a motive, he wanted to prove that life is meaningless, that was is true motive....it was just like the Joker from Dark Knight, who was out to prove when the chips were down that they were no alturists. Both were proven wrong at the end. You have to look at who the villain is a foil of, in this case, Kefka is the foil of the two women (Terra and Celes) that he and the Empire abused. Both women believed in the end in the meaning of true love and both represented hope.

No, I get all that, I guess I just find less satisfaction from that motivation than I do from the villain who inhabits the moral grey area where, if you switch your perspective to see from their eyes, you can almost agree with them. That makes a good villain for me.

As long as you enjoy the villain though, there are no wrong answers here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

Joker is insane but he has a reason for his insanity (a chemical spill) and an understandable hatred for the man that caused that spill. The guy from No Country For Old Men had a code. Kefka kills whatever and when ever. it's not insanity, it's a poor character because they don't even attempt to show where the hatred comes from or how he got that way. There is no relating to a character that kills for no reason. the character is entirely unrealistic in almost every way.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

Joker is insane but he has a reason for his insanity (a chemical spill) and an understandable hatred for the man that caused that spill. The guy from No Country For Old Men had a code. Kefka kills whatever and when ever. it's not insanity, it's a poor character because they don't even attempt to show where the hatred comes from or how he got that way. There is no relating to a character that kills for no reason. the character is entirely unrealistic in almost every way.

Kefka does have an orgin, he is basically a failed Imperial experiement. While he gained magical ability, it warped his mind and his evilness was intensified. Celes was also infused as well, followed a different path. Kefka has a belief, its not like he kills randomly for no reason. he has a horrible belief that life is worthless and pointless and he lives by it. That is his reason, basically he kills people but for a truly horrible reason. He is consistant with the games themes of hope vs despair, with him representing despair, and the two women and their party represents hope.. Kefka asks "Why do yearn live when all things must die?".....and Terra and her party answer. Kefka's motive was to try to prove that life was meaningless.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Yeah, I gotta agree that Kefka is a very flat and uninteresting character. It's true that you can have a 1-dimensional villian that is insane and evil and have it work like the Joker, but the writing in FF3/6 just wasn't up to the task. Really, his only claim to fame at this point is that he is one of the few enemies in the world of JRPGs who isn't a total idiot, though he still isn't exactly smart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Kefka is comparable to villains such as the Joker, Anton Chigurh of No Country For Old Men, or the Judge from the book Blood Meridian. Those that live by their own code that others don't understand, just them. And Kefka did have a motive, he wanted to prove that life is meaningless, that was is true motive....it was just like the Joker from Dark Knight, who was out to prove when the chips were down that they were no alturists. Both were proven wrong at the end. You have to look at who the villain is a foil of, in this case, Kefka is the foil of the two women (Terra and Celes) that he and the Empire abused. Both women believed in the end in the meaning of true love and both represented hope.texasgoldrush

Kefka does have an orgin, he is basically a failed Imperial experiement. While he gained magical ability, it warped his mind and his evilness was intensified. Celes was also infused as well, followed a different path. Kefka has a belief, its not like he kills randomly for no reason. he has a horrible belief that life is worthless and pointless and he lives by it. That is his reason, basically he kills people but for a truly horrible reason. He is consistant with the games themes of hope vs despair, with him representing despair, and the two women and their party represents hope.. Kefka asks "Why do yearn live when all things must die?".....and Terra and her party answer. Kefka's motive was to try to prove that life was meaningless.

to me, Kefka is a cliche, place holder villain. even that quote you put by him makes no sense. If he had that little value of life don't you think he would kill himself because he is a living thing? Wouldn't he just kill everyone at once and end all life? No because then there wouldn't be a game, so he only kills useless people, leaves a bunch of people alive, even though he has no value of life...it makes no sense. No one can relate to him, he's unrealistic in every way and his personalty conflicts with the acts that he does just so there's a game to play. Evil as hell...yes but also a very poor character
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Kefka was one crazy weirdo, that's for sure. He really was one evil dude.
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

I never heard of him so I disagree.. Obivously the greatest videogame Villain ever is Bowser. Or Donkey Kong.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 texasgoldrush

Yeah, I gotta agree that Kefka is a very flat and uninteresting character. It's true that you can have a 1-dimensional villian that is insane and evil and have it work like the Joker, but the writing in FF3/6 just wasn't up to the task. Really, his only claim to fame at this point is that he is one of the few enemies in the world of JRPGs who isn't a total idiot, though he still isn't exactly smart.

AtomicTangerine
It depends of the version.....the SNES version does weaken Kefka quite a bit (due to Nintendo's censorship policies at the time), but the writing in he original Japanese version and the GBA version are much better. Some of the lines he speaks are legendary though. He is actually pretty smart, one of the more intellegent villains out there. He is always one step ahead of everyone, including Emperor Gesthal. It is only after he achieves ultimate power that he makes his big mistake....underestimating the heroes. The major reason why this character is heraled is not design, but execution. His role in the story is executed near flawlessly. He is threatening the whole time, breaked cliches at the time, and his evil actions really did have impacts, like the impact of Cyan's loss of his family. This wasn't done a great deal in past RPGs. Another example of great execution is how much his influence he has off screen, such as the entire World of Ruin, where he only shows up at the end. The world was made in his image, one of suffering, misery, sorrow, and death. You can feel the environment, especially before getting the airship. Kefka is the perfect villain for the story. For the humanistics themes of the game (what it means to live), a complex sympathetic villain would not have been effective as a brutal, despicable one who despises and destroys human life. The messsage of hope in the end was made more powerful because of this fact. This is in contrast to the vastly overrated Sephiroth. While his design is great, the execution in the plot wasn't. He was supposed to draw some sympathy, but I didn't feel any for him. But I did not have strong hatred for him, he was just there. The only thing that really made him famous was her ran Aeris through with a sword. In the end, he was just another bad guy to put down, just like an avrage RPG. His motives were unclear but his plot was obvious. Basically, his complexity was wasted. Complexity is not always better. Kefka may have been simpler, but he was far more of an effective villain.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="smerlus"] Joker is insane but he has a reason for his insanity (a chemical spill) and an understandable hatred for the man that caused that spill. The guy from No Country For Old Men had a code. Kefka kills whatever and when ever. it's not insanity, it's a poor character because they don't even attempt to show where the hatred comes from or how he got that way. There is no relating to a character that kills for no reason. the character is entirely unrealistic in almost every way.smerlus

to me, Kefka is a cliche, place holder villain. even that quote you put by him makes no sense. If he had that little value of life don't you think he would kill himself because he is a living thing? Wouldn't he just kill everyone at once and end all life? No because then there wouldn't be a game, so he only kills useless people, leaves a bunch of people alive, even though he has no value of life...it makes no sense. No one can relate to him, he's unrealistic in every way and his personalty conflicts with the acts that he does just so there's a game to play. Evil as hell...yes but also a very poor character

The reason why he didn't kill everyone at once quickly is because he wanted other people to feel that life is pointless, just like him. Thats why there is a Cult of Kefka in the World of Ruin (which even Strago joins before Relm snaps him out of it). He basically wiped out the adults in Mobliz so he could put fear and despair into the children and sends Phunbaba after them for good measure. He fries resistors with the Light of Judgement. He wanted to savor in the suffering and the sorrow and it would not have been as satisfying for him to kill everyone at once. This makes him even more wicked.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

3KindgomsRandy

While I agree with you, I don't think Saren was the best example of this since ultimately he didn't have much of a choice in which side to take.
I think that the villain from The Witcher, for example, fits your desciption of a deep villain much better.

But yeah, anyway, I never really liked Kefka as a villain - but I'd definitely give him points for actually succeeding in 'destroying' the world and becoming a god. Most villains don't get that far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 190586385885857957282413308806
The reason why he didn't kill everyone at once quickly is because he wanted other people to feel that life is pointless.texasgoldrush
wouldn't that be giving life a point? If you're trying to teach people something, that means you have a point to make. Even having nagative values in life is still having values. the more you try to justify his plans, the more illogical he becomes. The best way not to make the character of Kefka fold in on itself is to chock him up as a loony douchebag
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

As much as I love Final Fantasy VI, I have to disagree. Kefka was a monumentally undeveloped character actually. At least they didn't pick Sephiroth. Too many Otakus have a stupid fascination with him for some reason.

I think I might be more inclined to go with Revolver Ocelot, and I don't even really like the MGS series all that much. It probably helps that the MGS series has such an inordinate amount of cutscenes and thus you are exposed to the characters - ridiculous though they may be - much more than in most other games.

After sitting here and thinking for a few minutes after typing that, I thought of another one: Gary Smith from Bully. They really just nailed that character somehow. They did a great job of making you feel a genuine hatred for him, something very few games have managed to pull off, as the characters are often too ludicrous and "gamey" to be taken seriously. (Yes, I realize that probably sounds contradictory after mentioning Ocelot.)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

That's stupid. Kefka has no development as a character. He's a good villain, but even Sephiroth is better than Kefka, as much as I am sick and tired of Sephiroth.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hakanakumono

As much as I love Final Fantasy VI, I have to disagree. Kefka was a monumentally undeveloped character actually. At least they didn't pick Sephiroth. Too many Otakus have a stupid fascination with him for some reason.

I think I might be more inclined to go with Revolver Ocelot, and I don't even really like the MGS series all that much. It probably helps that the MGS series has such an inordinate amount of cutscenes and thus you are exposed to the characters - ridiculous though they may be - much more than in most other games.

After sitting here and thinking for a few minutes after typing that, I thought of another one: Gary Smith from Bully. They really just nailed that character somehow. They really do a great job of making you feel a genuine hatred for him, something very few games have managed to pull off, as the characters are often too ludicrous and "gamey" to be taken seriously. (Yes, I realize that probably sounds contradictory after mentioning Ocelot.)

SpaceMoose

Sephiroth is a better villain than Kefka, but I am so sick and tired of Sephiroth ... and honestly, there are probably much better villains than the both of them. I'm not so sure about Ocelot though, just having played and finished the first 3 of the MGS series this month.

Albedo from Xenosaga was a better villain than Kefka and Sephiroth, but I'm not sure if he's the best.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

textwoasgoldrush

It depends of the version.....the SNES version does weaken Kefka quite a bit (due to Nintendo's censorship policies at the time), but the writing in he original Japanese version and the GBA version are much better. Some of the lines he speaks are legendary though. He is actually pretty smart, one of the more intellegent villains out there. He is always one step ahead of everyone, including Emperor Gesthal. It is only after he achieves ultimate power that he makes his big mistake....underestimating the heroes. The major reason why this character is heraled is not design, but execution. His role in the story is executed near flawlessly. He is threatening the whole time, breaked cliches at the time, and his evil actions really did have impacts, like the impact of Cyan's loss of his family. This wasn't done a great deal in past RPGs. Another example of great execution is how much his influence he has off screen, such as the entire World of Ruin, where he only shows up at the end. The world was made in his image, one of suffering, misery, sorrow, and death. You can feel the environment, especially before getting the airship. Kefka is the perfect villain for the story. For the humanistics themes of the game (what it means to live), a complex sympathetic villain would not have been effective as a brutal, despicable one who despises and destroys human life. The messsage of hope in the end was made more powerful because of this fact. This is in contrast to the vastly overrated Sephiroth. While his design is great, the execution in the plot wasn't. He was supposed to draw some sympathy, but I didn't feel any for him. But I did not have strong hatred for him, he was just there. The only thing that really made him famous was her ran Aeris through with a sword. In the end, he was just another bad guy to put down, just like an avrage RPG. His motives were unclear but his plot was obvious. Basically, his complexity was wasted. Complexity is not always better. Kefka may have been simpler, but he was far more of an effective villain.

You're making the mistake of using your experience with the villains as evidence to support your claim. Kefka was a more effective villain to you personally, but that doesn't stop him from being one dimensional, next to Sephiroth who was far more developed than his predecessor or his successor (Ultimecia). A one dimensional character is always inferior to a character that has been developed.

Ultimately, if I were to put them in order of my personal preference I would place them Ultimecia, Kefka, Sephiroth. But I'm not going to make the mistake of mistaking my personal preferences for actual superiority. And please don't try to place character depth upon Kefka that doesn't exist in the first place. Kefka is an artifact of a period of time between strong storytelling efforts and weak storytellilng efforts. Kefka was not developed not because of some master plan to strengthen him as a villain, but rather because no need was seen by the developers in an age when storytelling in videogames was premature.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpaceMoose

Sephiroth is a better villain than Kefka, but I am so sick and tired of Sephiroth ... hakanakumono

I know he's a "better" villian. I'm just sick of people's fascination with him to the point where it would actually annoy me a lot more if that was their pick. :P

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Sephiroth is a better villain than Kefka, but I am so sick and tired of Sephiroth ... SpaceMoose

I know he's a "better" villian. I'm just sick of people's fascination with him to the point where it would actually annoy me a lot more if that was their pick. :P

Well Sephiroth isn't the best villain. Which makes Kefka a terrible choice for best villain. I haven't decided on who is the best villain, but certainly isn't Kefka or Sephiroth. I'll have to think about this one.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]The reason why he didn't kill everyone at once quickly is because he wanted other people to feel that life is pointless.smerlus
wouldn't that be giving life a point? If you're trying to teach people something, that means you have a point to make. Even having nagative values in life is still having values. the more you try to justify his plans, the more illogical he becomes. The best way not to make the character of Kefka fold in on itself is to chock him up as a loony douchebag

Kefka's flaw in his plan was he did not take into account that people would not bend to his philosophy, such as the party. He thought that people would have all bent in a world of despair. He is wrong in his nihilistic philosophy, and thats why he loses because there was no way in his mind that people could find hope and life's meaning in his hopeless vision of the world. Like I said, he did not kill everbody at once quickly, because he wanted to make the survivors believe their lives were worthless while they suffer. But his logic was flawed. He did not forsee the once hopeless Celes making off that island and to start regrouping the party. He did not forsee the Figaro Brothers be steadfast in the determination or forsee Setzer snapping out of his despair. And he certainly did not forsee his "pet" (Terra) who he abused and robbed of her humanity, find what it means to be human and successfully counter all of Kefka's nihilistic arguments before the final battle. Kefka fails because he was so blinded by his hatred that he underestimated humanity and the will to live. Exactly like the Dark Knight's Joker. Joker was always one step ahead of Batman, Dent, and the police for most of the movie. But he put too much fiath in his twisted ideology and he was proven wrong when he expected to be proven right. The two ferry scene was the big example. The Joker believed that when all the chips were down, that there would be no true alturists and mankind would eat eachother. He expected to be proven right, and he actually expected one ferry to blow up the other before midnight struck, but midnight struck, neither boat detonated, and Joker, who was in control, unravels for the first time and is beaten by Batman. Unlike Kefka, he did win a partial victory by leading Dent down a dark path. SpaceMoose, I think character development can be overrated when talking about villains. For most types of villians, especially ones with good intentions or sympathetic qualities, do require great character development. Sadistically evil ones, do not necessarily need much character development, they run on level of threat or danger to the hero or anyone they cross. Kefka did not really need to be developed as much as many villains do and I think trying to develop a large backstory may in fact give some "excuses" for his behavior. He does however have a backstory, but only as much as he needs. Kefka's effectiveness comes in his level of threat and the theme and symbolism he represents. Look at Anton Chigurh of no Country For Old Men, in both the book and the movie, he is not really developed at all. But he has a high level of threat to anyone he comes across as he kills people randomly as well as representing madness and cruelty. This makes him an effective villain even though he is not well developed.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="textwoasgoldrush"][QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

You're making the mistake of using your experience with the villains as evidence to support your claim. Kefka was a more effective villain to you personally, but that doesn't stop him from being one dimensional, next to Sephiroth who was far more developed than his predecessor or his successor (Ultimecia). A one dimensional character is always inferior to a character that has been developed.

Ultimately, if I were to put them in order of my personal preference I would place them Ultimecia, Kefka, Sephiroth. But I'm not going to make the mistake of mistaking my personal preferences for actual superiority. And please don't try to place character depth upon Kefka that doesn't exist in the first place. Kefka is an artifact of a period of time between strong storytelling efforts and weak storytellilng efforts. Kefka was not developed not because of some master plan to strengthen him as a villain, but rather because no need was seen by the developers in an age when storytelling in videogames was premature.

Kefka may not have much character depth, but he does have thematic depth (and thats where he gets his effectiveness). Final Fantasy VI itself may infact be the thematically deepest game in the series, as well as the most consistant in its themes (unlike...uhem...FFVII). Hope, the meaning of true love, loss, and what it means to be human....a game on the human condition basically. Kefka is the antithesis of everything Terra, Celes, and the rest of the party stand for. A villain that represents an idea or theme (the opposite of) in the story is much more effective than "character" development, although it does help when its needed. One dimensional villains can be great villains......take the Capitain in Pan's Labyrinth for example, he may be one dimensional, but he sure is effective.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

After sitting here and thinking for a few minutes after typing that, I thought of another one: Gary Smith from Bully. They really just nailed that character somehow. They did a great job of making you feel a genuine hatred for him, something very few games have managed to pull off, as the characters are often too ludicrous and "gamey" to be taken seriously. (Yes, I realize that probably sounds contradictory after mentioning Ocelot.)

SpaceMoose

I'd say that arguing over which villain is the best is childish and immature.. Its like the whole "my dad can beat up your dad" schtick. What's the point?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 190586385885857957282413308806
Kefka's flaw in his plan was he did not take into account that people would not bend to his philosophy, such as the party. He thought that people would have all bent in a world of despair. He is wrong in his nihilistic philosophy, and thats why he loses because there was no way in his mind that people could find hope and life's meaning in his hopeless vision of the world. Like I said, he did not kill everbody at once quickly, because he wanted to make the survivors believe their lives were worthless while they suffer. But his logic was flawed. He did not forsee the once hopeless Celes making off that island and to start regrouping the party. He did not forsee the Figaro Brothers be steadfast in the determination or forsee Setzer snapping out of his despair. And he certainly did not forsee his "pet" (Terra) who he abused and robbed of her humanity, find what it means to be human and successfully counter all of Kefka's nihilistic arguments before the final battle. Kefka fails because he was so blinded by his hatred that he underestimated humanity and the will to live. Exactly like the Dark Knight's Joker. Joker was always one step ahead of Batman, Dent, and the police for most of the movie. But he put too much fiath in his twisted ideology and he was proven wrong when he expected to be proven right. The two ferry scene was the big example. The Joker believed that when all the chips were down, that there would be no true alturists and mankind would eat eachother. He expected to be proven right, and he actually expected one ferry to blow up the other before midnight struck, but midnight struck, neither boat detonated, and Joker, who was in control, unravels for the first time and is beaten by Batman. Unlike Kefka, he did win a partial victory by leading Dent down a dark path. SpaceMoose, I think character development can be overrated when talking about villains. For most types of villians, especially ones with good intentions or sympathetic qualities, do require great character development. Sadistically evil ones, do not necessarily need much character development, they run on level of threat or danger to the hero or anyone they cross. Kefka did not really need to be developed as much as many villains do and I think trying to develop a large backstory may in fact give some "excuses" for his behavior. He does however have a backstory, but only as much as he needs. Kefka's effectiveness comes in his level of threat and the theme and symbolism he represents. Look at Anton Chigurh of no Country For Old Men, in both the book and the movie, he is not really developed at all. But he has a high level of threat to anyone he comes across as he kills people randomly as well as representing madness and cruelty. This makes him an effective villain even though he is not well developed.texasgoldrush
I think you're mistakeing character flaws for flaws in writing. Kefka stays miles ahead of everyone in his plot for power and then once he gets it his plan falls apart. that's not a character flaw, that's bad writing. If a character is that much of a master tactician, he would never destroy thousand of lives but mysteriously leave all those that oppose him still living. You're doing way too many fill in the blanks with the plot holes the writers made in the game. And the boat scene in The Dark Knight was by far the worst part of the movie. Lastly. The guy from No Country would never be considered close to film's greatest villians so it once again prove that, while insane underdeveloped may stick in people's minds, they are throw away villains. Gaming stories are generally barely passable, and gaming journalists are wholly inept at picking a good story (many raved about FEAR's story as being one of the best in the horror genre) and the fact that Kefka would be even considered one of the best proves this to be true
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SpaceMoose

I'd say that arguing over which villain is the best is childish and immature.. Its like the whole "my dad can beat up your dad" schtick. What's the point?

BladesOfAthena

My point was to come up with my own opinion on best villain, but I guess I could have done the more "mature" thing and entered the thread just to belittle someone. I guess by your logic the Emmy Awards are also childish and immature.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 texasgoldrush
I think you're mistakeing character flaws for flaws in writing. Kefka stays miles ahead of everyone in his plot for power and then once he gets it his plan falls apart. that's not a character flaw, that's bad writing. If a character is that much of a master tactician, he would never destroy thousand of lives but mysteriously leave all those that oppose him still living. You're doing way too many fill in the blanks with the plot holes the writers made in the game. And the boat scene in The Dark Knight was by far the worst part of the movie. Lastly. The guy from No Country would never be considered close to film's greatest villians so it once again prove that, while insane underdeveloped may stick in people's minds, they are throw away villains. Gaming stories are generally barely passable, and gaming journalists are wholly inept at picking a good story (many raved about FEAR's story as being one of the best in the horror genre) and the fact that Kefka would be even considered one of the best proves this to be truesmerlus
The writing is sound, its your interepetation of the story thats bad. Villains lose because they usually have a flaw in their plans or their thinking. In almost every story. Kefka is no different. You creating a plot hole that isn't there. The villain in Jade Empire is even named the Glorious Strategist and for the most part lives up to his name, but his downfall is underestimating the student. It happens to every villain, 99% of the time. Kefka left people living, but he wanted people to suffer. If they did oppose him, he did kill them, basically with the Light of Judgement. This scares other people into not opposing him. He did leave the party alive so he could mess with them. That was his mistake. Javier Bardem easily won an Oscar for his role in No Country For Old Men. While his acting skill was a major reason, great writing is also part of it. And the critics did praise that character. Like I said, its better to have an effective one dimensional villain than an ineffective well developed villain.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"] I think you're mistakeing character flaws for flaws in writing. Kefka stays miles ahead of everyone in his plot for power and then once he gets it his plan falls apart. that's not a character flaw, that's bad writing. If a character is that much of a master tactician, he would never destroy thousand of lives but mysteriously leave all those that oppose him still living. You're doing way too many fill in the blanks with the plot holes the writers made in the game. And the boat scene in The Dark Knight was by far the worst part of the movie. Lastly. The guy from No Country would never be considered close to film's greatest villians so it once again prove that, while insane underdeveloped may stick in people's minds, they are throw away villains. Gaming stories are generally barely passable, and gaming journalists are wholly inept at picking a good story (many raved about FEAR's story as being one of the best in the horror genre) and the fact that Kefka would be even considered one of the best proves this to be truetexasgoldrush
The writing is sound, its your interepetation of the story thats bad. Villains lose because they usually have a flaw in their plans or their thinking. In almost every story. Kefka is no different. You creating a plot hole that isn't there. The villain in Jade Empire is even named the Glorious Strategist and for the most part lives up to his name, but his downfall is underestimating the student. It happens to every villain, 99% of the time. Kefka left people living, but he wanted people to suffer. If they did oppose him, he did kill them, basically with the Light of Judgement. This scares other people into not opposing him. He did leave the party alive so he could mess with them. That was his mistake. Javier Bardem easily won an Oscar for his role in No Country For Old Men. While his acting skill was a major reason, great writing is also part of it. And the critics did praise that character. Like I said, its better to have an effective one dimensional villain than an ineffective well developed villain.

But having the villian sit in his tower doing nothing and just waiting for the heroes to come kill him is the most cliche thing a video game villian can do. There is a huge difference between just underestimating the heroes and having a giant laser that can kill everybody and everything, and then choosing not to use it against the only people who are an actual threat.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I don't know if I agree with that, I found him dry, predictable and not a very realistic villain!

Bretten2
as opposed to all those super realistic villains out there anywho, kefka is my all time fav villain, i think his ranking is well earned
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="smerlus"] I think you're mistakeing character flaws for flaws in writing. Kefka stays miles ahead of everyone in his plot for power and then once he gets it his plan falls apart. that's not a character flaw, that's bad writing. If a character is that much of a master tactician, he would never destroy thousand of lives but mysteriously leave all those that oppose him still living. You're doing way too many fill in the blanks with the plot holes the writers made in the game. And the boat scene in The Dark Knight was by far the worst part of the movie. Lastly. The guy from No Country would never be considered close to film's greatest villians so it once again prove that, while insane underdeveloped may stick in people's minds, they are throw away villains. Gaming stories are generally barely passable, and gaming journalists are wholly inept at picking a good story (many raved about FEAR's story as being one of the best in the horror genre) and the fact that Kefka would be even considered one of the best proves this to be trueAtomicTangerine

But having the villian sit in his tower doing nothing and just waiting for the heroes to come kill him is the most cliche thing a video game villian can do. There is a huge difference between just underestimating the heroes and having a giant laser that can kill everybody and everything, and then choosing not to use it against the only people who are an actual threat.

That was an excellent decision by the game designers. The world was in his image, they did not need to make him appear. You can feel the effects of his evil on the world and population. Another reason why this was an excellent choice was that it allowed the heroes to close their storylines, which gives the game a theme of hope against great despair. FFVI took common cliches and turned them on its head.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="textwoasgoldrush"] It depends of the version.....the SNES version does weaken Kefka quite a bit (due to Nintendo's censorship policies at the time), but the writing in he original Japanese version and the GBA version are much better. Some of the lines he speaks are legendary though. He is actually pretty smart, one of the more intellegent villains out there. He is always one step ahead of everyone, including Emperor Gesthal. It is only after he achieves ultimate power that he makes his big mistake....underestimating the heroes. The major reason why this character is heraled is not design, but execution. His role in the story is executed near flawlessly. He is threatening the whole time, breaked cliches at the time, and his evil actions really did have impacts, like the impact of Cyan's loss of his family. This wasn't done a great deal in past RPGs. Another example of great execution is how much his influence he has off screen, such as the entire World of Ruin, where he only shows up at the end. The world was made in his image, one of suffering, misery, sorrow, and death. You can feel the environment, especially before getting the airship. Kefka is the perfect villain for the story. For the humanistics themes of the game (what it means to live), a complex sympathetic villain would not have been effective as a brutal, despicable one who despises and destroys human life. The messsage of hope in the end was made more powerful because of this fact. This is in contrast to the vastly overrated Sephiroth. While his design is great, the execution in the plot wasn't. He was supposed to draw some sympathy, but I didn't feel any for him. But I did not have strong hatred for him, he was just there. The only thing that really made him famous was her ran Aeris through with a sword. In the end, he was just another bad guy to put down, just like an avrage RPG. His motives were unclear but his plot was obvious. Basically, his complexity was wasted. Complexity is not always better. Kefka may have been simpler, but he was far more of an effective villain.texasgoldrush

Kefka may not have much character depth, but he does have thematic depth (and thats where he gets his effectiveness). Final Fantasy VI itself may infact be the thematically deepest game in the series, as well as the most consistant in its themes (unlike...uhem...FFVII). Hope, the meaning of true love, loss, and what it means to be human....a game on the human condition basically. Kefka is the antithesis of everything Terra, Celes, and the rest of the party stand for. A villain that represents an idea or theme (the opposite of) in the story is much more effective than "character" development, although it does help when its needed. One dimensional villains can be great villains......take the Capitain in Pan's Labyrinth for example, he may be one dimensional, but he sure is effective.

Themes do not trump depth, themes are an element of depth within a storyline. VI happens to have some depth, which is why it employs human themes. But VII does as well, the primary one being that "Humans have a negative impact on the planet." It's important to note that "loss" is not a theme. Themes are sentences, not single words. Just wanted to clarify that for you.

There are two elements to villains. Their villany ("effectiveness") and their depth as a character. Sephiroth and Kefka are both very villainous and frequently show displays of horrible power. Sephiroth may have not had the "light of judgement" but he was certainly effective as a villain, which is why he is so sickeningly popular right now. The difference is that Sephiroth has depth. Kefka's lack of depth is not some master plan by the storywriters, its a missing piece of the puzzle that you're trying to rationalize by making it seem like Kefka is a better villain for it. But he's not. Kefka would be a better villain if he had depth.

Which is why I advocate VI having a remake. VI is by far the most advanced story of the early Final Fantasies but there are missing gaps in the storyline that need to be filled. It could easily achieve the best in the series if the characters and villain had more depth.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush

The themes of Vi however, are much better executed than the themes of VII. VII ws highly inconsistant in its themes and it just devolves into a Cloud vs Sephiroth battle. FFVI's themes were highly consistant and effective, especially the theme of losing loved ones, friends and family. VII would have been a much better game if it did center around the theme you listed above, but it didn't. It devolved into a rivalry and a revenge story.

True, depth does trump lack of depth most of the time, but a well executed story always trumps a poorly or average excuted one. FFVI had a much better executed storyline than VII. The pacing is one issue in VII (such as a snowboard section right after Aeris's death). VII also got extremely convoluted and all the later FF's share that trait. And FFVI is deeper than you think and sometimes you have to find that depth. Terra Branford and Celes Chere are extremely deep, multidimensional characters as well as dynamic characters. The other characters have as much depth to make them effective characters, no more and no less. Depth doesn't make a character compelling, emotional resonance does, and thats what VI excels at. I agree that Sephiroth is indeed the deeper villain, but Kefka is the better executed one. Sephiroth's popularity really stems from one scene, he would have been far more forgettable if it wasn't for that One Scene.

FFVI story and characters are extremely well praised, alot of times the best in the series. Gamesradar had this game as the only JRPG on the Best Stories of All Time list, even bashing FFVII in its entry. Kefka is Gamespy's best villain because he was a well excecuted one.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hakanakumono

The themes of Vi however, are much better executed than the themes of VII. VII ws highly inconsistant in its themes and it just devolves into a Cloud vs Sephiroth battle. FFVI's themes were highly consistant and effective, especially the theme of losing loved ones, friends and family. VII would have been a much better game if it did center around the theme you listed above, but it didn't. It devolved into a rivalry and a revenge story.

True, depth does trump lack of depth most of the time, but a well executed story always trumps a poorly or average excuted one. FFVI had a much better executed storyline than VII. The pacing is one issue in VII (such as a snowboard section right after Aeris's death). VII also got extremely convoluted and all the later FF's share that trait. And FFVI is deeper than you think and sometimes you have to find that depth. Terra Branford and Celes Chere are extremely deep, multidimensional characters as well as dynamic characters. The other characters have as much depth to make them effective characters, no more and no less. Depth doesn't make a character compelling, emotional resonance does, and thats what VI excels at. I agree that Sephiroth is indeed the deeper villain, but Kefka is the better executed one. Sephiroth's popularity really stems from one scene, he would have been far more forgettable if it wasn't for that One Scene.

FFVI story and characters are extremely well praised, alot of times the best in the series. Gamesradar had this game as the only JRPG on the Best Stories of All Time list, even bashing FFVII in its entry. Kefka is Gamespy's best villain because he was a well excecuted one.

texasgoldrush

I will agree to this (bold), but I disagree with your reasoning as I felt that VII's pacing was the best in the series. I disagree with basically everything else, such as Terra and Celes having depth and Sephiroth's popularity dating back to one scene (there are many great scenes involving Sephiroth within the game). But I'm not going to make a list of all the things I disagree with and I don't feel like in engaging in a paragraph long counterpoint for each statement you made, so I'll abstain. I respect your opinions, although I disagree with them.

I will expand upon why I felt VI's execution was better than VII's. VII's execution problem is that sometimes the characters seem as if they have no distinct personality, especially Cloud. I felt that the plot twists exist for the sake of plot twists, when the evidence in the game supports what was eventually debunked in the game (Cloud's origin). This is not storyline related, but VI's graphics were far more consistent than VII's mess. It didn't know if it wanted to be realistic or super deformed and so we got this strange mixture of both, even in FMV.

Edit: Thinking more on it, it seems to me that the characters in VI lack distinct personalities as well. The same thing is true of many of the earlier Final Fantasies, and I don't think Final Fantasy characters were truly whole characters until VIII. And then it faltered in XII.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

hakanakumono

I will agree to this (bold), but I disagree with your reasoning as I felt that VII's pacing was the best in the series. I disagree with basically everything else, such as Terra and Celes having depth and Sephiroth's popularity dating back to one scene (there are many great scenes involving Sephiroth within the game). But I'm not going to make a list of all the things I disagree with and I don't feel like in engaging in a paragraph long counterpoint for each statement you made, so I'll abstain. I respect your opinions, although I disagree with them.

I will expand upon why I felt VI's execution was better than VII's. VII's execution problem is that sometimes the characters seem as if they have no distinct personality, especially Cloud. I felt that the plot twists exist for the sake of plot twists, when the evidence in the game supports what was eventually debunked in the game (Cloud's origin). This is not storyline related, but VI's graphics were far more consistent than VII's mess. It didn't know if it wanted to be realistic or super deformed and so we got this strange mixture of both, even in FMV.

VII pace was excellent, until you leave Midgar, then it lagged and had very little focus until the end, except for some memorable scenes. I think out of all the FF's, VI was the only game where I never questioned what was going on, unlike the PS FF's. Another of FFVI's strength is that the human element strongly outwieghed the fantasy element, unlike the other FF's, except for somewhat XII. Terra and Celes are actually pretty deep in personality and Celes is one of the most dynamic conflicted characters in the series. The Opera scene wasn't just for show, it was actually character development for Celes in an Opera role....Maria in the Opera paralleled what Celes wasn't going through and her loneliness. The game's backstory and the Esper's (another strength for FFVI, its human element was also its metaphysical one) revolves around Terra, making her along with Celes, the deepest character in the game. Terra's journey to find what it meant to be human was a main focus of the game, expertly pulled off. What made Kefka especially special at the time is he was a human bad guy, not some dark lord from the great beyond or an evil emperor, which added to the games themes. The evil wasn't supernatural, it was human. Kefka represneted VI's themes a whole lot better than Sephiroth did with VII. My fave character in VI is not Kefka at all, its Terra and Celes.

Edit: VI didn't have distinct characters? Are you kidding? The characters were especially distinct from eachother. Each had their own personalities and motivations clearly different from the rest of the team. They were whole characters (well the main 8 are). They may not have been as deep has the characters later in the series, but the are deeper than you think.