games critics/most gamers loved but you either hated or din't like as much ?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thekazumalord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 thekazumalord
Member since 2010 • 216 Posts

For me it's the Call of Duty games, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Rayman Origins, Super Street Fighter 4, Dead Space 2, Resident Evil 5 and Fallout 3. I don't hate them, i just not that fond of them.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Mass Effect

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto. Basicly anything by Bethesda and Rockstar Games, Damn I hate them so much. Also I agree with the reception Bioshock Infinite got, except the parts about its gameplay.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
This generation: Entire Call of Duty series (to be fair, I haven't played one since Black Ops) Entire Assassin's Creed series (just pure trash) Capcom's current gen fighting games (MVC3, SFxT, and SSF4; KoF XIII, GGXXAC+, and BlazBlue are in an entirely different league) Every Resident Evil game after 4, with the exception of the Wii lightgun shooters. Bethesda games. Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3... overrated as hell. Deus Ex Human Revolution: as far as I'm concern Invisible War and Human Revolution don't exist and there's only one Deus Ex. But most of all, GTA 4. Aside from the scale of the city there is nothing good about that game at all. Bad controls, bad story, bad voicework, bad mission structure, tons of glitches... it's just awful, and I was never so disappointed in a video game as I was when I played that game the first time. Even Duke Nukem Forever was less of a disappointment.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, CoD, Minecraft. I just don't get it.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Nothing comes to mind.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Assassins Creed 3 and the Gears of war franchise.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Assassins Creed 3 and the Gears of war franchise. Granny_Spanked
Most gamers and critics I saw hated AC3.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Uncharted 2 is easily the biggest one I've experienced. I could launch complaints about almost every aspect of that game to no end and yet it's considered one of the greatest games of the generation by critics and gamers alike.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

BioShock 1

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of the Elder Scrolls games.  They are bland in terms of art design, the environments all look the same, the combat is clunky, they're full of bugs, the characters stand their like mannequins, the quests are boring, the story sucks.  I just don't get it.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of the Elder Scrolls games.  They are bland in terms of art design, the environments all look the same, the combat is clunky, they're full of bugs, the characters stand their like mannequins, the quests are boring, the story sucks.  I just don't get it.

MirkoS77
i dunno maybe its the backwards flying dragons
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
GTAIV is one of my least favorite games this generation. it's just one of the most painful designs i've ever experienced. it seems like every mission is based around a one note character blabbering punch line after punch at me. here's a stereotypical jamaican, a wannabe gangster, a hothead, or whatever other single characteristic can be slapped on a model. i have to sit through a car ride while they go on about whatever the writers think is funny. then i have to go through a long mission, potentially using an extremely clunky shooting system or getting hit with an unforeseen development that could reasonably get my character killed. if i do die, i have to sit through the whole thing all over again. you know what's worse than hearing a bad joke? hearing it again.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

GTAIV is one of my least favorite games this generation. it's just one of the most painful designs i've ever experienced. it seems like every mission is based around a one note character blabbering punch line after punch at me. here's a stereotypical jamaican, a wannabe gangster, a hothead, or whatever other single characteristic can be slapped on a model. i have to sit through a car ride while they go on about whatever the writers think is funny. then i have to go through a long mission, potentially using an extremely clunky shooting system or getting hit with an unforeseen development that could reasonably get my character killed. if i do die, i have to sit through the whole thing all over again. you know what's worse than hearing a bad joke? hearing it again. LoG-Sacrament
Agreed. the writing in IV was terrible, one thing I'm hoping V gets it right.  RDR was better but after having played TLoU my standards for writing in gaming has risen.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Fable 2 comes to mind. It received pretty high marks and a lot of gamers adore the game, but it isn't for me. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

MirkoS77
Those games getaway with so much crap. And ME3 Makes a tiny mistake with its ending and People respond with Vengefull Cupcakes. Ironically though I've never actualy met anyone who owns any The Elders Scroll games, except my cousin who got one for free but couldn't wait to get rid of it.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I guess I'm not really a bitter gamer. While there are titles that have received high scores which I personally didn't find appealing I can't somehow disagree that they are great titles. They just weren't for me.

But I wasn't a fan of Demon's Souls. When I was a kid I would have played that game to death but over the years those kinds of titles just lost my interest. I want more of an experience rather than a purely hacko slasho dungeon crawler. However I cannot deny the games brilliance simply due to my own personal opinion.

rigzzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rigzzsy
Member since 2010 • 349 Posts

Mass Effect

speedfreak48t5p

this! it's bloody awful

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

GTAIV for me. Played it for a week and never played it again.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Granny_Spanked
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Assassins Creed 3 and the Gears of war franchise. TheFallenDemon

Still got an 85 on metacritic, and thats way to high.
t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

Call of Duty(I was playing cod4mw after hearing all the praise and was flabbergasted that it got all this praise it was alright but I've played so much better especially on pc.)

Assassin's Creed(Way to easy and gets repetitive and boring for me)

Gears of War(I enjoyed the first one(I don't know maybe it was the graphics they were amazing for the time) but then played the 2nd and found it to be horrible.)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Pretty much anything Rockstar. 

Also, The Walking Dead. Just played 400 Days. Man, all those episodes are really cool and powerful in some sense, but besides the gameplay sucking most of the time, it also breaks the immersion too many times to be forgivable. I mean, those character interactions are THE reason to play those games. And it's good mostly, but it just happens too many times where is screams: 'powerful moment right? RIGHT!? I'M A GAME! HEY! DO YOU NOTICE I'M A GAME YET!?'

I'm all for forgiving shortcomings because what the game does is so ambitious and great. But with The Walking Dead, even the stuff it tries to be falls flat too often. 

I still think those episodes are good and have cool moments, but they are not anywhere near as awesome as people make it out to be (best story ever, GOTY etc.).

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

The Bioshock games and GTA IV.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Limbo, Flower, and Braid.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
GTA and the Elderscrolls series. I simply don't have the time or interest to play games that large.
gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

la noire

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#27 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Hated would be Beyond Good and Evil and Braid. Didn't like would be Gears of War 2 and 3 and Bioshock games.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"][QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Assassins Creed 3 and the Gears of war franchise. Granny_Spanked

I haven't played AC3 yet so I can't really comment personally, but in all fairness weren't a lot of the complaints about the game due to how buggy it was and how rushed it felt?

Back on topic, Grand Theft Auto IV.  Now i didn't hate the game, I just didn't think was even close to being GOTY material.  I felt, aside from graphics, it was a step back from San Andreas in every possible way.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Ni No Kuni (too many mechanical issues) Mass Effect 1 and 3 (Mass Effect is good Mass Effect 3 is meh) Vanquish (too many reused assessts, enemies, bosses, and environments) Halo series Fable series Telltale's the Walking Dead (They're not fun to replay and I, along with many others, had a game breaking glitch where past choices wouldn't be carried to the next episode. This occured twice when trying to go to episode 5, and I had to replay the game basically three times to get to the ending) LA Noire - I thought the interrogation system was broken.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts
GTA 4 is probably the main one... Thought it was quite dull overall.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Granny_Spanked

[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"][QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"] Most gamers and critics I saw hated AC3.keech

I haven't played AC3 yet so I can't really comment personally, but in all fairness weren't a lot of the complaints about the game due to how buggy it was and how rushed it felt?

Back on topic, Grand Theft Auto IV.  Now i didn't hate the game, I just didn't think was even close to being GOTY material.  I felt, aside from graphics, it was a step back from San Andreas in every possible way.

And the fact that the plot was horrid, missions were repetitive, and the gameplay was dull.
Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
KOTOR. I managed to get to Tatooine but after that the game got too boring to continue. I never got the fuss behind the game, or maybe I was just expecting too much who knows. Borderlands was another one which got boring quickly as well.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The game(s) and series I thought were hugely overated this generation are:

• Mass Effect (series) - I appreciate the lore and choices given to the player, but I feel the gameplay isn't up to par.  It feels "wrong" and sloppy when I play it to the point of taking me out of the world.

• Call of Duty 4 - Never got the hype for this one.  Decent game, but couldn't understand the hype.  Then again I'm not a multiplayer gamer, so that probably explains that.

• Halo (series) - Quite boring to me.  I felt very uninterested in the story and gameplay in every game (didn't play Halo 4 though)

• Little Big Planet (series) - Thought the games were boring as hell.  Hideous controls, IMO, as well.

• BioShock Infinite - I'm a huge Bio 1/2 fan, but I just didn't like this one at all.   Not one redemeing factor about it for me.  Not worthy of the BioShock name, IMO.

That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Thought of another - Mario Galaxy 1/2.  I actually had a bit of fun with these games, but I never thought they were anything too special.  Not on the level of other 3D Mario games, IMO.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

GTA 4, Red Dead, Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Killzone 3, Assassin's Creed 1 are the biggest ones that come to mind.

bf210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 bf210
Member since 2007 • 424 Posts

Dishonored. That game got tons of praise from critics and gamers alike, but I just found it incredibly boring and uninteresting.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#36 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Games I hate that majority liked:

• Super Street Fighter 4
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Siren: Blood Curse
  • Any JRPG or anime

Overrated games:

• Mass Effect series
  • Halo series
  • MGS4
  • Little Big Planet
GrannyGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GrannyGoat
Member since 2010 • 1190 Posts

umm the latest one was metro last light. so boring...good thing I redboxed it!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Games I hate that majority liked:

• Super Street Fighter 4
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Siren: Blood Curse
  • Any JRPG or anime

Overrated games:

• Mass Effect series
  • Halo series
  • MGS4
  • Little Big Planet
Venom_Raptor
I thought Valkryia Chronicles was fun. I just finished it actually although I thought that the long wait times between turns when you're just sitting there doing nothing except watching the enemies move was stupid and the fact that death really doesn't have a huge impact like many people said it did was also a drawback. It was a relatively easy game, but it tried my patients numerous times due to taking control away from me whether it be going back to the main menu screen everytime you're suppose to watch a new cutscene, or waiting for the enemy for 5 minutes to finish their turn.
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

I can't think of many off the top of my head.  I would say that's more or less because I don't really buy into hype surrounding games and I don't go in with high expectations.  Well, most of the time.  Some games I hype up on my own and get disappointed with.  But to name a few:

GTA IV - I really enjoy it and got my moneys worth, but as a whole I was kind of let down in comparison to San Andreas.

Red Dead Redemption - I should say I actually loved the game all the way until the ending which just kind of killed it for me.

Team Fortress 2 - I think this is more because I suck at first person shooters in general.  That and I think I was expecting more?

Probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#40 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Bioshock, COD, Skyrim, Minecraft, Gears of War, Halo and Gran Turismo
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Borderlands 2. Complete waste of money, it was the same game as Borderlands.
BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

MGS 4 Guns Of The Patriots (overrated), Gears Of War 1 (Gears 3 was better), Borderlands (boring), Splinter Cell Conviction (felt more like action than Stealth-Action game & don't understand why everybody loves that game) & GTAIV (most overrated game in the seventh generation of video games).

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Call o Duty- I've got nothinng against shooting stuff in the face, but MW2 was enough. Shooting stuff in the face has to include either a frightening enemy(mostly why I loved the first Gears so much), or a really good hook(airstrikes in Mercs 2, ridiculous stunts in Just Cause 2 or acrobatic slomo in WET) otherwise it just gets boring. gonna have to disagree about Assassin's Creed, though. 1 was brilliant- gathering intel, planning your hit step-by-step. 2 was heart stopping at it's conclusion and the two storylines really drew you into the fiction. Brotherhood introduced the single most unique MP mode of the entire generation, while the single player campaign started answering some questions for the first time in the series, while raising all new, more sinister ones in their place. Revelations is where it stumbled. 3 was decent, and while the ending was wholly unexpected, it was fitting on further reflection. When you add in the fact that every single entry in the series(including handheld titles) is canon and each are referenced from one game to the next, it really build a web ofstory around it that you rarely see in a series. I loved the series so much until Revelations. I only played 3 because I had to know how it all ends. Now, I have zero interest in 4.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 El_Zo1212o
Borderlands 2. Complete waste of money, it was the same game as Borderlands.m25105
Borderlands 2 was a weird one for me- I loved Borderlands to death, and Borderlands 2 was more of the same, but improved in every way. For all intents and purposes, that should have made it one of my favorite games of the gen, but instead, it was just like the magic was gone.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 El_Zo1212o
LA Noire - I thought the interrogation system was broken.Minishdriveby
LA Noire. I got so pissed because the prompt would be, like, "doubt." But the character would strat yelling and making wild accusations and sh!t. I'd be stuck going, 'dude! Do you have any concept of the phrase 'over-f*cking-kill'??"

I can't think of many off the top of my head.  I would say that's more or less because I don't really buy into hype surrounding games and I don't go in with high expectations.  Well, most of the time.  Some games I hype up on my own and get disappointed with.  But to name a few:

GTA IV - I really enjoy it and got my moneys worth, but as a whole I was kind of let down in comparison to San Andreas.

Red Dead Redemption - I should say I actually loved the game all the way until the ending which just kind of killed it for me.

Team Fortress 2 - I think this is more because I suck at first person shooters in general.  That and I think I was expecting more?

Probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

isv666
Red Dead- The ending, I thought, was the most interesting part. To spend so much time with a character, helping him along as he's working to rid himself of his bad choices for good, then to have it spelled out in the most shockingly direct fashion available that it was all for nothing- that there was never really a chance for him to begin with- was such a ballsy play that I can't help but applaud the decision, even though it was so jarring to go from one hero to another post-game.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
  • Mass Effect 2: The story and characters are good and that's it, the most important part of a GAME, the GAMEplay is stale and repetitive, so is the level design for that matter.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Skip the cutscenes and you have a 4 hours campaign and online (which is now shutdown) where you pay for extras makes it the worst value for money game this generation.
  • Resident Evil 5: The only think scary about Resident Evil 5 is how bad it is.
  • Heavy Rain: No engaging story can make brushing your teeth or rocking a baby fun.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction: The character of Sam Fisher and the games title are the only things releating to Splinter Cell in this game, it is not a Splinter Cell game and it is not a stealth game, it is a third person shooter.
  • Sports games in general: I don't understand, are some people literaly brainwashed, why do people buy these every year.
  • Call of Duty: same problems as sports games but at least they have new maps, a new campaign and new weapons.
  • The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Simply put, the game didn't work properly, it has been fixed now but the damage has been done.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#47 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Witcher 2 and XCOM. Both did nothing for me.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lulu_Lulu
  • Mass Effect 2: The story and characters are good and that's it, the most important part of a GAME, the GAMEplay is stale and repetitive, so is the level design for that matter.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Skip the cutscenes and you have a 4 hours campaign and online (which is now shutdown) where you pay for extras makes it the worst value for money game this generation.
  • Heavy Rain: No engaging story can make brushing your teeth or rocking a baby fun.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction: The character of Sam Fisher and the games title are the only things releating to Splinter Cell in this game, it is not a Splinter Cell game and it is not a stealth game, it is a third person shooter.
  • Sports games in general: I don't understand, are some people literaly brainwashed, why do people buy these every year.
  • Call of Duty: same problems as sports games but at least they have new maps, a new campaign and new weapons.
  • The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Simply put, the game didn't work properly, it has been fixed now but the damage has been done.
RageQuitter69
Wow It must suck to be you, so many games let you down.
maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts

1. The Last of Us - I thought the story was terribly boring and the gameplay tedious.

2. Bioshock Infinite - I just couldn't get into it. I tried. Just not interesting.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]
Lulu_Lulu
Wow It must suck to be you, so many games let you down.

No it doesn't suck to be me, those games let me down but there are plenty of other games that impressed me, Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider to name a few.