Does anyone here not purchase fighting games, or if you do, very rarely?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 CecilChups
Member since 2013 • 205 Posts
[QUOTE="CecilChups"][QUOTE="MadVybz"]

What does exercise and martial arts have to do with anything? Fighting games are all about strategy and exploitation of your opponent's weaknesses, much like any other competitive genre. The only difference is the context. 

That's like saying instead of spending x amount of hours into a shooter you'd rather join the military. 

MethodManFTW
Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex.

Rico Suave, Drew Grimey, LI Joe, AquaSilk, MarlinPie, etc... Tons of super fit/good looking dudes that play at a very high level.

They don't play fighting games. Rico Suave, really?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="CecilChups"][QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="CecilChups"] Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex.

Rico Suave, Drew Grimey, LI Joe, AquaSilk, MarlinPie, etc... Tons of super fit/good looking dudes that play at a very high level.

They don't play fighting games. Rico Suave, really?

Yeah, those are all guys that play fighting games VERY well. And yeah, I think Rico's tag is dumb. But he is a super jacked hispanic guy, so I guess he can name himself that.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
[QUOTE="CecilChups"] Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex.

Are you just lashing out at them because they are better than you and you can't actually do anything about it? If you want to make sweeping generalizations, I won't stop you, but expect to be called out on it for what it really is. I don't play because I can't compete, that doesn't make the people who can somehow beneath me.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#54 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I think the genre could use a lot of improvement. Throwing strategy in battles would make it awesome. Learning of the foes weak points and using certain attacks against him/her is one. I understand that making interactivable backgrounds is extremely demanding but making use of the surroundings, as throwing things against a foe would also make the fight more entertaining. Writing decent stories for fighting games, and I don't mean over the top by decent, it could be about a guy or a girl beating the hell out of a gang for pick pocketing, would leave a great impact on gamers.

What I'm seeing now is fighting game makers relying on the popularity of those games hence releasing crossover titles e.g. Namco and Capcom and Marvel. And improving the graphics or the games (SF4) or releasing movies for fans (that terrible CGI Tekken movie)

iAmAndrewRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 iAmAndrewRyan
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts
I hate fighting games, the least innovative genre with most of them still stuck in 2D. The closest thing that I play to a fighting games is Fight Night.
shivansh_verma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 shivansh_verma
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

in the market today there are 90% fighting games half the people have fps and 3ps as their first prefrence

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I think the genre could use a lot of improvement. Throwing strategy in battles would make it awesome. Learning of the foes weak points and using certain attacks against him/her is one. I understand that making interactivable backgrounds is extremely demanding but making use of the surroundings, as throwing things against a foe would also make the fight more entertaining. Writing decent stories for fighting games, and I don't mean over the top by decent, it could be about a guy or a girl beating the hell out of a gang for pick pocketing, would leave a great impact on gamers.

gamingqueen

I'm not sure what you mean by 'throwing strategy' but there is already plenty in the genre. If you don't have any set strategy then you will lose, there's no argument about it. 

While interactible backgrounds would make a fight more entertaining for the spectator, it introduces all sorts of balance issues. Injustice for example has introduced this and they're incredibly over-powered and unblockable, plus in most situations they're damn near unavoidable. Some even have multiple uses. While I'm not against the idea of interactibles, Injustice just hasn't done it right. 

As for story, I'm still not sure why people think they matter in fighters. They're made to excel in the game play, the stories are just sloppily written side projects to give players context so that there won't be any complaints (Virtua Fighter, for example, has no story at all which contributes to its unpopularity, despite it being most likely the best 3D fighter out there). 

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

MadVybz

I'm not sure what you mean by 'throwing strategy' but there is already plenty in the genre. If you don't have any set strategy then you will lose, there's no argument about it. 

While interactible backgrounds would make a fight more entertaining for the spectator, it introduces all sorts of balance issues. Injustice for example has introduced this and they're incredibly over-powered and unblockable, plus in most situations they're damn near unavoidable. Some even have multiple uses. While I'm not against the idea of interactibles, Injustice just hasn't done it right. 

As for story, I'm still not sure why people think they matter in fighters. They're made to excel in the game play, the stories are just sloppily written side projects to give players context so that there won't be any complaints (Virtua Fighter, for example, has no story at all which contributes to its unpopularity, despite it being most likely the best 3D fighter out there). 

What fighting games make you plan for fights rather than sticking to one button or following a sequence of buttons that appear on screen? I'm not aware there's any and if there was, would be so kind as to mention some? I never played a fighting game where the physical traits of a fighter are put into use as the character's weight/height and what it means or special powers or elements like beating fire with water, wind with stone and so on. The only game that managed to put characters' trait in use to some point is Brawl other than that I can't recall any.

Having a decent story in a game might not be important for you but it sure is for a lot of gamers out there myself included. You might not care much for stories in games, graphic, sound or any of the things that make a video game but that doesn't mean developers shouldn't work on improving those as it affects the overall quality of the game. This isn't even an argument. 

How would adding intractibles *and thank you for correcting me* affect the balance of the game? Is there even such thing? All I know that in some fights, making use of the surroundings is allowed and sometimes not. 

Avatar image for Encognito_Mr_BC
Encognito_Mr_BC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Encognito_Mr_BC
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="CecilChups"] Well put, but honestly, I'd rather sink that time and dedication that goes into fighting games into actual exercise and learning real martial arts.

CecilChups

What does exercise and martial arts have to do with anything? Fighting games are all about strategy and exploitation of your opponent's weaknesses, much like any other competitive genre. The only difference is the context. 

That's like saying instead of spending x amount of hours into a shooter you'd rather join the military. 

Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex

I love fighting games and sports game. I practice martial arts and I go to the gym to powerlift on a weekly basis and I use to be a damn good football player. Competitive games like fighters and etc in my experience are mostly picked up by ex-athletes or goal oriented ppl. If you can't get good don't hate. You sound like the young dude on the football team who'd bitch and moan about sucking but won't put in any work to get better. Whatever you do you gotta practice you just don't get it overnight. If it isn't your thing stop bit ching and focus ur effort somewhere else.

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

The only one I ever bought outright was Soul Calibur and I accidentally bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Genesis thinking it was the side scroller....as my first game for the system when I was young. Boy I was dissapointed when I first pressed start. I did end up spending so much time playing it just because it's all I had. 

I love them, but could never bring myself to fork over the cash. Arcade is where fighting games got me though. 

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
I rarely buy fighting games, I recently just bought Injustice but I waited for it to go on sale before I bought it.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Happily.

• Street Fighter
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Guilty Gear
  • Blazblue
  • Tekken
  • Soul Calibur
  • Dead Or Alive
  • Viruta Fighter
  • Darkstalkers
  • Marvel vs Capcom

And that's only a few. The vast majority of fighting games out there are more complex than the average person may think, and they take an immense amount of strategy and mind games to beat your opponent. 

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

I never played a fighting game where the physical traits of a fighter are put into use as the character's weight/height and what it means or special powers or elements like beating fire with water, wind with stone and so on. The only game that managed to put characters' trait in use to some point is Brawl other than that I can't recall any.

gamingqueen

Street Fighter is the prime example of this. Sagat and Zangief, two large characters, have larger hit boxes, so they tend to be hit by attacks that would normally miss smaller-sized characters like Ryu or Blanka. And just for reference, Smash Bros. is probably the most simplistic and loose example of a fighter than anyone can throw out, so I'm curious as to what exactly you're referencing.

Having a decent story in a game might not be important for you but it sure is for a lot of gamers out there myself included. You might not care much for stories in games, graphic, sound or any of the things that make a video game but that doesn't mean developers shouldn't work on improving those as it affects the overall quality of the game. This isn't even an argument. 

gamingqueen

I said fighters specifically. The main reason why I'd rather do without stories in fighters is because they're always terribly written and the story modes suck no matter what the developers try. Look at the Scenario Campaign mode in Tekken 6 as an example. Over 40 bland, indentical levels where you just beat up dudes. It's monotonous as all hell. I've recently seen people praise Netherrealm for the story modes in Mortal Kombat and Injustice but they're nothing special either; they're just cutscenes in between fights. There's hardly any variety in either of them, other than the games forcing you learn a new character every few chapters. 

How would adding intractibles *and thank you for correcting me* affect the balance of the game? Is there even such thing? All I know that in some fights, making use of the surroundings is allowed and sometimes not. 

gamingqueen

Yes, there is, and interactibles can create all sorts of balance issues due to their nature. Again, using Injustice as the example, you can take off almost a quarter of your opponent's health bar with the press of a button and little to no risk to you. While it is possible to avoid them and/or stop your opponent your opponent from using them, most of them take up 3/4 of the screen or home in on you, so avoiding them is terribly tough. Given how easy they are to use, their damage output is far too great. 

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I love a good fighting game that's got plenty of content. I'm getting really tired of some fighting games having really cheap AI though. There's a bunch I still want to get.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

It's not exactly my type of genre.

Nevo7778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Nevo7778
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Not anymore, I use to play fighting game but now I'm really into real time strategy games and combat based role playing games. Dragon Age origins one and two I no longer play because they do not have a autorun feature. kingdoms of amalur reckoning is the same way, no autorun feature and it really hurts the game in a huge way. Last fighting game I played was street fighter 2 alpha, after that it's been all RTS and RPG.
swyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 swyg
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts

I think fighting games would heavily benefit from having only single button inputs.  Another thing would be to make larger stages that can be traversed and explored.  It would also be great if there were more 3D fighting games.  Dissidia is one of only two fighting game series' I felt satisfied from; Smash Bros. being the first.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

The only fighting game I've played and ENJOYED (which led to me buying it) is Def Jam: Fight for NY. 

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#69 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Very rarely here though I do enjoy them with friends. Last one I bought was Marvel vs. Capcom 3 when it came out.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Well I just bought Mortal Kombat a few days ago and have enjoyed it more than any other Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom. Doesn't help that MK was my first fighter anyway.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I don't buy fighting games anymore.

Not my style of games.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts
I love fighters, however, be prepared to get your ass beat. Fighter's are for competitive, grinding and strategic people so to get into a new fighter it's a challenge only learned by ass whoopin's. I am a big Virtua Fighter and Tekken fan. I use to be a beast at Tekken but the thing about a fighting community is people eat, breathe and live the game so I am getting my ass beat & I have been "Tekkening" since age 7. If you don't practice and don't have the patience, don't hope online. Play COD or FPS they're a bit more accessible to you.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

The only fighting game I purchased this entire generation was Persona 4 Arena, and that was only for the story mode. But I was surprised by how much fun I had playing the game, it is really good. My brother bought BlazBlue on the Vita, I played some of it and it's pretty fun too. I played Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (it is/was free on PSN+), I didn't like it. I loved playing Street Fighter 2, In fact I still own a snes cartridge of it, but for some reason I just could not get into that game. I also played Tekken 6 on the PSP (again through PSN+) and I really liked it.

And if Dissidia counts, I bought that as well, it's a fun game to play.

Maiken100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 Maiken100
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Fighting games are quite niche. They are a very difficult genre to master, because they have a fairly/very high execution requirement depending on the game. Also they don't really have many guides teaching you the mechanics so there is a lot of forum hunting. Online multiplayer has bought in alot of players but its still not the best way to play (unless you live in Japan), Offline or arcade have always been the prefered method amongst FG players.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#75 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I probably buy one a year, this year I bought Injustice. The last one before that was Mortal Kombat Komplete...so yeah I really only like them every now and then. And I'm not hardcore at them, don't do the fightstick, don't do crazy combo tutorials, I just have some fun with it.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I rarely buy fighting games because they tend to bore me really quickly.
Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

I do purchase them. Maybe not as often but they are a staple of the collection. The long tern value is in the discovery of moves, building rhythm and momentum and keeping pace with deceptive opponents. Its a different type of fun when you start to get the hang of it.

Maybe its the rhythmic combat inherent in hong kong action that I feel I have to interact with on a video games level. Sleeping Dogs fighting bits Bayonetta and DMC communicated that sorta for 3rd person action when on harder modes. but sometimes I want to conquer or decieve an equally intelligent opponents rather than have multiples enemies to mow down.  Regardless of my miscalculations in fighters.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I think fighting games would heavily benefit from having only single button inputs.  Another thing would be to make larger stages that can be traversed and explored.  It would also be great if there were more 3D fighting games.  Dissidia is one of only two fighting game series' I felt satisfied from; Smash Bros. being the first.

swyg
You mean like DBZ: Raging Blast ?

I posted here 3 months ago saying I would buy either that or N.U.N.S. But I still have'nt done it yet. I've only bought one fighting game before, the Boob Simulator (DOA5) and I regret it.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but there's a few that I truly love like Marvel vs. Capcom, Darkstalkers, Guilty Gear, Blazblue and Persona 4 Arena. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was pretty nice, too.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
I purchase them, one of my favourite genres. I mainly stick with street fighter though. Used to be a tekken nut, but 6 was an utter disappointed and its been pretty much the same for the past 10 years.
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

I rarely purchase fighting games because I'm horrible at them.  Last one I picked up was Mortal Kombat, which I enjoyed a lot.  I still sucked at it.  And Christ, if I go online that's just embarassing.  

When I was younger I used to love fighting games and seemed to be a fair amount better at them.  Probably in my top ten of gaming moments was when I was pretty good at Mortal Kombat II and would get an audience at the arcade.  That always felt good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Still waiting for Namco to do their side of the crossover. So when can I expect Tekken X Street Fighter ?
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

swyg
DiveKick is all about 1 button http://divekick.com/
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#84 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't buy them.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

This gen I only bought 2 fighting games and I already sold them, they were Tekken 6 and Mortal Kombat.