Does anyone here not purchase fighting games, or if you do, very rarely?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CecilChups
Member since 2013 • 205 Posts

When it comes to games, I have to say that I am probably the worst at fighting games. When playing against other people that is. I just could never really get all that into them. I liked them a lot back in the early 90s when Street Fighter II and its expansions were popular and also  the Mortal Kombat games. But, it seems after that I just didn't care about them that much anymore. I don't know why, I would rather just play a beat em up, something story driven, platformers, adventure games, action RPGS etc. But for me, one on one fighting games just don't really cut it for me.

I guess fighting games are mainly for really competitve people as well. I don't really seem to fit that demographic. When I buy a fighting game now it will not be over 20 dollars and I  RARELY ever purchase one. I liked Street Fighter IV but I rarely played it online. When I did play it online I just got slaughtered over and over lol. I was content with the single player though. I don't really care to take the time to get super amazing with characters or care to. I have so many games I want to play that I have already. I've been eyeing the Mortal Kombat Complete version or whatever thats 15 dollars now. I think the single player would be fun alone just for that price. This will be the first fighting game that I buy since...well.. Super Street Fighter IV.

Does anyone else on this forum not buy fighting games much at all or play them much at all? Also, whats the most you would spend on a fighting game? For me? 20 dollars at MOST.

Peace.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I feel like most fighting games don't give me enough content to really make them worth the full pricetag. Some people will eat up every little tweak of the game and that's cool but I'm not like that. Basically all I need is a Tekken game and I'm good.
CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CecilChups
[QUOTE="JML897"]I feel like most fighting games don't give me enough content to really make them worth the full pricetag. Some people will eat up every little tweak of the game and that's cool but I'm not like that. Basically all I need is a Tekken game and I'm good.

Same here pretty much. I should try to find a cheap Tekken game. For some reason, I feel like playing one now. Or a Virtua Fighter perhaps. I never spend full price on a fighting game, ever. Fighting games to me just don't have much to them to warrant anything over 20 bucks, or 30 at most in my opinion.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it's not that i have something against fighting games so much as i hate the super long combos that so many of them are based around. i have fun when it comes down to positioning, situational awareness, and all that stuff. however, i can't think of much that would bore me more than bothering to memorize some 12 input line of presses, holds, simultaneous presses, quarter spins, and all sorts of other stuff put into a garble specific only to that game (would it really kill the developers to make platform specific labels?).

there are some fighting games i like though. virtua fighter 5 is a good one. there is still a fair share of annoying combos, but they are mostly a character by character thing so you can find one that's decent and still be competitive.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I have some friends that like to play fighting games so I usually pick them up pretty quickly and get online while the communities are still active. 

My issue with fighting games is that the online servers and features are usually lackluster or uninteresting. For example, DoA has some great mechanics but the functionality is easily exploitable. It amazes me that they're so susceptible to lag when everything else I play runs rather smoothly.

Lately, I bought Injustice, DoA5, and Darkstalkers Resurrection. I really like Darkstalkers but it seems like the community is dead (Side rant: Capcom apparently used the sales to determine interest in a new Darkstalkers and that's dumb considering each game in the package is well over a decade old) and other Capcom fighters I'm not too horribly into (not a huge Street Fighter fan for whatever reason)

As for price, I got Injustice at full price because I thought the story mode would have been as good as Mortal Kombat's. It was not. Online is still fun, but it wasn't worth $60. I picked up DoA5 for $25. I think the downloadable games, like Skullgirls for $15, is a great strategy for this particular genre as less people are wanting to shell out $60 for each of these games

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

It takes a special kind of person to get into fighting games, and I for one, love them to bits. They're the games I've spent playing the most for the past few years. 

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Seems to me that you can beat 90% of players online just by using the block button once in a while. And yes, I pulled that percentage out of my ass. But I'm pretty decent against other people...still, I just don't get enough out of them to warrant purchasing them at full price. I'll probably play one for a couple weeks and get bored, and usually when I look back on the time I spent playing them, I feel like I could have gotten more out of that time by playing a good single player or co-op game.

I also prefer brawlers. Can't wait for those D&D brawlers to come out on PSN. I never got to play them as much as I would have liked in the arcades. Games like Streets of Rage 2 (all-time favorite) still really hold up for me. Notsomuch X-men or TMNT, but I wasted a lot of quarters on those back in the day.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I really like the character variety that fighting games bring and I have a lot of respect for the genre but the learning curve is too steep for me. It's very rewarding for dedicated people who like video games with a lot of depth, but personally I'd rather spend the effort practicing a real martial art than remembering combos.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I really like the character variety that fighting games bring and I have a lot of respect for the genre but the learning curve is too steep for me. one_plum
This is exactly why I like Tekken. Even players who aren't that good can still do some badass looking moves and have fun with it. In Street Fighter I don't know how to do much more than a simple hadoken
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

[QUOTE="one_plum"]I really like the character variety that fighting games bring and I have a lot of respect for the genre but the learning curve is too steep for me. JML897
This is exactly why I like Tekken. Even players who aren't that good can still do some badass looking moves and have fun with it. In Street Fighter I don't know how to do much more than a simple hadoken

I am like this. I've always liked Tekken for that reason. Also Mortal Kombat for the laugh factor. But my enjoyment of fighting games does'nt go much farther than that. I'm not a competitive person at all, and a lot of the timing windows and input combinations found in stuff like Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter is too much for me.

But yeah, for some folks, a good fighter is all they need for a good time, and many fighting games go really, really deep with their mechanics, so that's always something you gotta appreciate.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I buy any 2d fighter with the words "street fighter" and/or "marvel" in the title.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I grew out of them when my teen-aged friends stopped coming over to play them locally years ago.

ShadowDDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShadowDDX
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Like so many before me have said, I will rarely purchase a fighting game. If anything I will probably get one that was heavily recommended by friends once it goes down to 20-30 dollars range. Why? I hate to say it, but I believe that most fighting games lack enough content to actually be worth the full price tag. If it makes you feel any better, I usually feel like that about sport games as well, I will wait for that 30-40 price tag. Additionally, after getting spanked several times online by some kids I doubt any sane person would persistently pop that disc in when there are so many choices. The only time I actually got good at a game was SF4 since my best friend is naturally a beast at fighting games and he turned out to be a SF fan, so I played until I could beat him at least a few times. Praise the shoryuken being used while knocked on the ground. The only game that I have gotten that I actually enjoyed for full price was the second UFC "fighting game". That game felt more valuable than the typical Button Mashing vs Timed Pro Moves involved in games like Tekken, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. But as far as I know it is one of a kind. I truly believe that most fighting games when compared to a game like Skyrim, should probably come out from the beginning at half price. :D
ShadowDDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShadowDDX
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
That is another thing that is true. The other reason for not buying is that Fighting is more fun when you get to beat up on your family members, or on your buddies. The trend for local gaming is going down, and it influences most peoples decision to buy a fighting game vs. on that same day lets say buy GTA or something less limited/linear.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I never buy fighting games.. in fact the only one I've ever bought was Mortal Kombat on Vita. Thats because it was on sale for $10 and I'd heard it had a lot of content,which is does. Great game!
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Fighting games are one of my fave genres, but I can see where TC is coming from. If you don't have a decent amount of friends to play with, or if you lack a competitive drive, they are a waste of money. The only fighting game I purchased at full price was DOA5.

I will say this, I do not get the idea of playing fighting games online. It's not all that different than just playing AI, aside from your standing on a leader board. With genres like FPS and RTS, there is an element of human creativity that simply cannot be replicated by AI, but in fighting games, the whole game is based around technical button combos, so the difference between AI and some dude on the other side of the world is very marginal.

Sorry if someone already talked about this. I'm at work and didn't take time to read the thread :P

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
With genres like FPS and RTS, there is an element of human creativity that simply cannot be replicated by AI, but in fighting games, the whole game is based around technical button combos, so the difference between AI and some dude on the other side of the world is very marginal.Jimn_tonic
You could not be more wrong.. There is so much more to fighting games than hitting combos. Though that is certainly an important part.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I don't play fighting games in general.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
The last fighting game I bought was Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for the PS2, like 5 years ago.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I'm not a fan of them. I find them pretty tedious and can't be bothered learning all the combos to complete something that can be finished in a day.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Every couple of years I get an urge to buy a fighting game. I then play it for a little while, get frustrated at what is usually cheesing AI as well as my lack of time to actually learn the game systems properly, and vow to never buy another fighting game. Then a couple of years later I do it all over again, and the cycle repeats itself. Street Fighter IV is the one that really burned me this gen. Prior that I actually enjoyed Virtua Fighter V, and after that I enjoyed the 3DS DoA game. Mortal Kombat on Vita turned me off fighting games again (for now).
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

[QUOTE="Jimn_tonic"]With genres like FPS and RTS, there is an element of human creativity that simply cannot be replicated by AI, but in fighting games, the whole game is based around technical button combos, so the difference between AI and some dude on the other side of the world is very marginal.MethodManFTW
You could not be more wrong.. There is so much more to fighting games than hitting combos. Though that is certainly an important part.

Enlighten me.

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Rarely. The only fighting games I currently have are Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Soul Calibur V. Also had UFC 2009, UFC 2010 and Mortal Kombat arcade.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
I love them and I'll generally pick up most any fighting game that comes out and am usually willing to pick them up at full price especially if they're done by Capcom, Namco, Team Ninja, Arc System Works, SNK. I'm typically very average at them but I don't mind and I have fun playing either a human opponent or the AI. They've always been one of my favourite genre of mine ever since Street Fighter II first hit the arcades and they probably always will be. Needless to say that their resurgence this gen has thrilled me greatly.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I purchase fighting games, but only the ones that interest me. I enjoy them when I can and I don't mind online competition every now and then either, but sometimes, they can get boring either very fast or once everything you wanted to do is complete, there is no further need to play the game. Of course, multiplayer competition is a great incentive to keep on playing.

RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts
The offline is almost always horrible, suffering from light content and quarter muncher AI. (The Ai reading my controller inputs in SF4 was infuriating) The online requires a massive commitment in both time and money, requiring a large investment of your time that ends up feeling like school or work instead of a game, and the investment in an arcade stick, which is all but required for truly top tier play. I am unwilling to make the financial investment in the stick and it's maintenance, and am unable to commit the time. So I simply stopped paying attention to the genre altogether,
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
Rarely, I've avoided Street Fighter over Capcom's continuous re-releases of the games. The recent Mortal Kombat was a lot of fun though.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'm not a fan, even tho i like the concept, i'm more into my story driven games now that i'm a little older, i did used to play mortal kombat when i was younger, and street fighter, but i hate the whole button combo's you have to do for the moves, and there was just to many to remember and hard to get right, and i found myself sat in the menu for half the game trying to remember what move i want to do. i have to many numbers to remember in my own life let alone on a game aswel. plus all fighters are exactly the same except for locations and the fighters themselves there all based on the same princiable but i guess there isn't any other way to have a fighting game.

black_meg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 black_meg
Member since 2012 • 53 Posts
I'm a very big fan of: Mortal Kombat, Tekken, UFC, Fight Night series and of course Street Fighter. I really enojoy those games when I'm sitting and drinking a lots of beer with my friends. Also I'm purchasing games only at Go2arena.com they have awesome prices.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Jimn_tonic"]With genres like FPS and RTS, there is an element of human creativity that simply cannot be replicated by AI, but in fighting games, the whole game is based around technical button combos, so the difference between AI and some dude on the other side of the world is very marginal.Jimn_tonic

Enlighten me.

Cancels, buffs, frames, baiting, launching, looping, a parry, a reset, a throw, etc etc.

Fighting games are actually incredibly complex. 

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I don't really bother with them. I bought Mortal Kombat just to see if it was any good, and it was, but after beating the campaign it couldn't really hold my interest. Honestly, I just don't have the time to devote to them to actually get good anymore.
sapphire54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sapphire54
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

I have only ever played Mortal Combat, and it was like 10 years ago. Fighting games are incredibly boaring for me.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The last fighting game I actually played was Battle Arena Toshinden on the PS1.  Just not my thing.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I used to play fighting games in the pre-internet era when friends came over all the time. Now, though, I just play different genres with them online. I miss people hanging out and all, but I don't really miss the actual fighting games themselves. They had a time and place in my gaming history, and that time has passed.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#35 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't like Fighting games, so don't buy or play them.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It takes quite a bit of dedication to get into fighting games, but when you do it takes over your gaming time almost completely. There's just so much depth and strategy in a good fighting game that you'll always have new tech to learn or better timing/spacing to master.

You could probably right a book on mind games alone... So much of fighting games are mind games

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MadVybz

[QUOTE="Jimn_tonic"]

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"] You could not be more wrong.. There is so much more to fighting games than hitting combos. Though that is certainly an important part.IndianaPwns39

Enlighten me.

Cancels, buffs, frames, baiting, launching, looping, a parry, a reset, a throw, etc etc.

And we can't forget that humans adapt to each opponent whereas AI have a set play style that never really changes.

It's incredibly easy to exploit holes in AI programming but playing against a good human player is an entirely different story. 

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I never buy them. Why? I cant get into them, whatsoever.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="Jimn_tonic"]

Enlighten me.

MadVybz

And we can't forget that humans adapt to each opponent whereas AI have a set play style that never really changes.

It's incredibly easy to exploit holes in AI programming but playing against a good human player is an entirely different story. 

Yup. I wish developers would spend more time developing better AI in fighting games so the single player is more fun. It gets obnoxious when they read your inputs and are capable of the toughest of combos.

Fighting games versus an actual person are usually unpredictable and intense depending on the skill of the two players.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

IndianaPwns39

Yup. I wish developers would spend more time developing better AI in fighting games so the single player is more fun. It gets obnoxious when they read your inputs and are capable of the toughest of combos.

Fighting games versus an actual person are usually unpredictable and intense depending on the skill of the two players.

I got DoA5 hoping I didn't have to deal with that stuff any more but once again I've been had. Whatever happend to running and Hiding, remember that sh!t in Budokai ? It was awesome ! I'm gona get one of Ubisoft's or CyberConnect2's Naruto games next, granted their not as complex but they still demand split/second reflexes and have the flashiest moves I've ever seen anywhere on any medium, even the show its based on seems dull in comparison so I'l go with that if that doesn't work out then I'm done ! Running away is an excellent strategy, why don't Fighting Games do it anymore ? EDIT: Oh my bad, it wasn't Budokai it was Budokai Tenkaichi, big difference, and I finaly found out what happened to the series after the 6th Gen. Appearently they changed the name from Budokai Tenkaichi to Raging Blast. So now its a toss between that and Naruto. (hint- DBZ is winning because its cheaper). But no rush, I'l compare video reviews this weakend.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I own a grand total of 3 fighting games: Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl (if you even count those) and Soul Calibur II. Injustice looks interesting and I might pick it up when the price drops. I'd buy Persona 4 Arena if it came out on a system I own.

CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CecilChups

It takes quite a bit of dedication to get into fighting games, but when you do it takes over your gaming time almost completely. There's just so much depth and strategy in a good fighting game that you'll always have new tech to learn or better timing/spacing to master.

You could probably right a book on mind games alone... So much of fighting games are mind games

Pikminmaniac

Well put, but honestly, I'd rather sink that time and dedication that goes into fighting games into actual exercise and learning real martial arts.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I never buy fighters, unless you count Smash Bros. which I would say is quite similar but have been told it doesn't count as a fighter. 

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Not any more.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Fighting games were cool back when Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat and Tekken 5 was the shyt. They're fun with friends or a chic who plays games. Other than that, I would never purchase them for myself.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MadVybz

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

CecilChups

Well put, but honestly, I'd rather sink that time and dedication that goes into fighting games into actual exercise and learning real martial arts.

What does exercise and martial arts have to do with anything? Fighting games are all about strategy and exploitation of your opponent's weaknesses, much like any other competitive genre. The only difference is the context. 

That's like saying instead of spending x amount of hours into a shooter you'd rather join the military. 

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MadVybz

Running away is an excellent strategy, why don't Fighting Games do it anymore ? Lulekani

It's called zoning. Though the strategy is non-existent in most 3D fighting games (Tekken, Soul Cal, DoA etc), in 2D fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, it's relatively easy to maintain distance and keep your opponent away with certain characters. 

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

Running away is an excellent strategy, why don't Fighting Games do it anymore ? MadVybz

It's called zoning. Though the strategy is non-existent in most 3D fighting games (Tekken, Soul Cal, DoA etc), in 2D fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, it's relatively easy to maintain distance and keep your opponent away with certain characters. 

Zoning huh. . . . . I like it, I hope someday it will defy all logic and make its way to 3D fighters.
CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CecilChups

[QUOTE="CecilChups"]

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

MadVybz

What does exercise and martial arts have to do with anything? Fighting games are all about strategy and exploitation of your opponent's weaknesses, much like any other competitive genre. The only difference is the context. 

That's like saying instead of spending x amount of hours into a shooter you'd rather join the military. 

Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="CecilChups"] Well put, but honestly, I'd rather sink that time and dedication that goes into fighting games into actual exercise and learning real martial arts.

CecilChups

Fighting games demand that you become a fat slob to even remotely play on a competitive level. Shooters aren't as complex.

Rico Suave, Drew Grimey, LI Joe, AquaSilk, MarlinPie, etc... Tons of super fit/good looking dudes that play at a very high level.