Do you get frustrated with tedious and repetitive games?

• 66 results
thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I'm finding a lot of the games I have in my steam backlog kind of hard to complete all the way.

Portal: Why is this game rated so high?

Skyrim: Everyone knows that after a certain point it become quite repetitive.

Tomb Raider: I hate it when I get stuck somewhere. I loathe looking up youtube to get past sections or puzzles in games.

Far Cry 3: The grenades don't work and the gunplay feels kind of "off" somehow. Also the games seems to lack a clear direction. Plus it can get kind of tedious.

Borderlands 2 (goty): I'm playing this single player. The map is kind of confusing - and it easy to get lost and run around in circles - going past the same areas again and again. Also the gameplay just seems so sameish. The only thing that really makes it fun is the second life feature.

Max Payne 3: Sorry but even this game gets a bit tedious and repetitive.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I thought Portal was a great game. It's short, sweet, well-made, and has a great mechanic. It's not repetitive because it actually paces itself, IMO. The other games can get kind of repetitive, but I think it doesn't matter if the mechanics, story, and world are all good. It also depends on the game. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 are a great time for me, while Borderlands 2 is pretty damn boring.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Pretty much Most RPGs.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Pretty much Most RPGs.

This.

I find most turn based RPGs to get boring very quickly. Which is why I've never been a big fan of the Final Fantasy games. I do, however, enjoy some turn based RPGs. Like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Mario RPG games. And Eternal Sonata was really great.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thereal25
@@@mastermetal777 said:

I thought Portal was a great game. It's short, sweet, well-made, and has a great mechanic. It's not repetitive because it actually paces itself, IMO. The other games can get kind of repetitive, but I think it doesn't matter if the mechanics, story, and world are all good. It also depends on the game. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 are a great time for me, while Borderlands 2 is pretty damn boring.

Portal MIGHT be okay... if I could just get into the FLOW of it. But I've never been a fan of immersion-breaking puzzles.

Don't get me wrong - most of these games are pretty decent for the most part. But they seem to have a bit of a time frame before it all starts wearing thin.

Glad you agree with me about Borderlands 2. It's just like: blast some bad guys with machine guns, walk a bit, blast more bad guys with machine guns, walk on a bit so the next bunch of enemies spawn ... on and on and on ... !!!

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Pretty much Most RPGs.

Well at least there aren't any annoying puzzles in games like fallout 3 / new vegas.

@pikachudude860 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Pretty much Most RPGs.

This.

I find most turn based RPGs to get boring very quickly. Which is why I've never been a big fan of the Final Fantasy games. I do, however, enjoy some turn based RPGs. Like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and the Mario RPG games. And Eternal Sonata was really great.

Hm. Turn based rpgs seem kind of old school. Can't say I've ever really played any tbh.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mastermetal777

I actually don't think RPGs are that tedious, unless their mechanics are either too slow or don't have enough variety in the character traits and usefulness. Maybe it's because I love grinding, but I don't know.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

@thereal25: LOL you hate it when the game actually challenges you?? that's not "tedious" or "repetitive" that's just a puzzle you suck at!

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastermetal777

@torenojohn7: Unless you've seen him attempt to solve those puzzles, then you have no room to judge his ability. Portal's puzzles can get tedious after a while. It's why I find Portal 2 to be so overrated. Skyrim does have many similar-looking puzzles with little depth to them. Tomb Raider is just downright cryptic with them.

And besides, for something to be tedious, it has to be overly long and boring, which can be the case with some games over time, and repetitive and shallow mechanics don't often help for most people.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@thereal25

I wish it did instead of all those stats..... :(

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thereal25

@mastermetal777 said:

I actually don't think RPGs are that tedious, unless their mechanics are either too slow or don't have enough variety in the character traits and usefulness. Maybe it's because I love grinding, but I don't know.

I agree. I also quite enjoy grinding :)

@mastermetal777 said:

@torenojohn7: Unless you've seen him attempt to solve those puzzles, then you have no room to judge his ability. Portal's puzzles can get tedious after a while. It's why I find Portal 2 to be so overrated. Skyrim does have many similar-looking puzzles with little depth to them. Tomb Raider is just downright cryptic with them.

And besides, for something to be tedious, it has to be overly long and boring, which can be the case with some games over time, and repetitive and shallow mechanics don't often help for most people.

Thanks. And to give a little example:

I just got to a point in Tomb Raider (Geothermal tunnels) and I can't get past this door. I've even consulted a walkthrough and I STILL can't get past the fucker!

grrr so annoying!!!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Thats nothing compared to Adventure Games.... They have a warped sense of Logic

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I dont get frustrated with repetitveness if its fun. What I do get frustrated with is tedium. Like for example, I hate trash loot and sorting inventories in games. I really wish games would get rid of this. Its a boring timesink that feels artificially planted in many games to increase the amount of time you play them.

l00kintoomiize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 l00kintoomiize
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Tedium? Can you really avoid it in games? If every task in the game were to be unique or a one-shot activity, that'd be a big game, as everything is made not to repeat itself.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By torenojohn7

@mastermetal777: No but i can judge the way the he's wrongly bashing games for being "tedious" and "repetitive" when they're just tricky and challenging.

Just because someone takes a hour to fit a round peg in the round hole doesn't mean everyone else in the world also takes the same amount of time! so its completely wrong to call a challenging puzzle game "Tedious".

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@torenojohn7

True Dat !

Thats what RPGs are forever. :)

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

No game sums up the word tedium better than Uncharted 2 in my books. God that game was so poorly designed and most of it insanely pointless.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

During some points of a game I could get annoyed with the repetitiveness, but I don't think I get annoyed the whole time. At least not for most games.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Behardy24

I think good narrative and difficulty help almost every game from being too repetitive. As the story keeps you invested, the difficulty keeps you on your toes.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermetal777

@behardy24: Good luck getting most people to see it that way, especially the gameplay whores. I appreciate a story wholeheartedly though, and you're right. It does keep most games from getting tedious, IMO, even if it's not the most well-written. It just has to be engaging, like the Uncharted trilogy for example. Not the greatest stories by any stretch, but they're told well and are exhilarating to experience for me.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

@thereal25: i was thinking about getting far cry 3, but since it has its problems i'm reconsidering that now.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mastermetal777

@watchdogsrules: The only real problem the game has is a pretty weak story, even though it has arguably my favorite villain in gaming next to Kefka from FF6. The gameplay's great, the island is huge, and there's more to do than you think. It's just a blast, IMO.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Most games are somewhat repetative

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@thereal25 said:

@mastermetal777 said:

I agree. I also quite enjoy grinding :)

+2 another Grinder here, I dont no why I like it but I do.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Sometimes if a game is well made, its other aspects overshadows the repetitiveness.

@thereal25 said:

Tomb Raider: I hate it when I get stuck somewhere. I loathe looking up youtube to get past sections or puzzles in games.

How is portal repetitive exactly? Literally each room has a different puzzle, and it keeps introducing new mechanics as you go on, it's not even remotely repetitive.

You're talking about the new Tomb Raider, right? It did get repetitive, but there were no real puzzles.

@mastermetal777 said:

Skyrim does have many similar-looking puzzles with little depth to them. Tomb Raider is just downright cryptic with them.

Eh, I wouldn't really call the dragon claw a "puzzle". :P And how was TR being cryptic? The "puzzles" it had consisted merely of pushing objects around.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I find most games to be repetitive to the point where it's rare that I actually play through to the end. Portal 2 was great because they changed it up, the puzzles felt new and fresh every so often, plus the humor it had although I found it to be way too easy to beat. Currently playing Grimrock but at level 3 it already is feeling quite repetitive and likely won't be playing it much longer. Devs gotta change things up throughout the game a bit.

I thought GTA 5 was one of the most repetitive games in a while, mostly because it's rehash of all the other GTA's before it including the horrible vehicle controls.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

Most games try to Mask it with Spectacle, I Uncharted 2's Train Level, I have heard so many times from so many cows just how awesome this section was, it was the hilight of the entire game..... Imagine my dissapoint when I played it for my self, it was exactly the same as the rest of the game, the only difference is you're on a train now, which actually is worse, theres no room to executed some strategies on the train like you would in a room filled with Chest high wall.

This is goin to lead to a serious problem, if you like gaming then you should be comfortable with Repetition, trying to mask this fact is going to lead to dissapointment eventually, after all the spectacle can only get ramped up so high.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I never felt too tedious and repetitive from RPG. I do run from a number of battle and find my levels are lower than what other say they should be. I hate those that whine about Turn base RPG and are still push to get rid of them because of thing they claim but are not in the games.

Now the games that get tedious and repetitive is the beat them ups. They are just punch dodge repeat until enemies are dead.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

Yeah but those are actually fun... :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mastermetal777

I know one genre that's way too tedious for me: the MMORPG. I can never get into their style of gameplay at all. I never make it past level 5 without getting bored out of my skull from doing mind-numbing fetch/kill quests.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wiouds

@Lulu_Lulu: You are right RPG are fun.

As for beat them up, the only way to them fun is to use add heavy amount of RPG elements to them else they are boring.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#31 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

I get insanely frustrated when I'm playing against PES 2013 CPU. The AI is a cheating, exploiting, abusing scumbag.
Thankfully it gets destoyed by long passes, quick counters or patient possession play, but it still doesn't keep it from playing ugly neanderthal football

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

Actually I have more fun when they Remove the RPG Elements, they use them like Artificial Blocks a la Dragon's Dogma and Final Fantasy, you gotta level up to be able to beat it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@SovietsUnited

Really ? Its never cheated me..

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Rarely but I do get a bit annoyed sometimes. It really depends on the game and the mood I'm in. Usually I'm quite fine with games that others might find repetitious. For instance I love JRPG's with turn-based gameplay and high enemy encounter rates, I'll usually fight most every battle and then some no matter how menial the enemy is.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: It's cuz leveling is a central game mechanic in those games. And for many it's empowering. Not strong enough to beat this one enemy? Go kill some other enemies and gain the experience necessary to beat the stronger one. Not only do you get the satisfaction of killing mooks, but you also know you're one step closer to your goal, and when you obtain it it's all the more satisfying. What's not to love? It's a simple thing that you seem to throw so much ire towards.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wiouds

@mastermetal777: He does not like it because he claims you can just become over powered and just walk through the entire game. I say you can cheese your way through RPG but you can also cheese your way through most games like beat them up.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

Or underpowered and get stuck half way through the game.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#38  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@SovietsUnited

Really ? Its never cheated me..

It cheats in subtle ways... such as the goalkeeper slowing down the forward in full run when running to a stray ball 100% of the time, yellow cards for little to no contact or in fouls (which are extremely unrealistic, inhuman perfect dives by the AI), complete CPU dominance in setpieces regardless of squad/player quality, extreme bias when it comes to injury time among many, many other things. I play this game all the time and pretty much got it all recorded

But I still love it, gives a lot of incentive to beat the odds and win big :D

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mastermetal777

@wiouds: There's absolutely nothing wrong with becoming overpowered in my book. Some people like to play games to express their dominance, and leveling is a great thing for those kinds of players. Mind you, I don't like becoming overpowered because I like to challenge myself, but for the people that do, it's there and they enjoy it, so let them.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@watchdogsrules: The only real problem the game has is a pretty weak story, even though it has arguably my favorite villain in gaming next to Kefka from FF6. The gameplay's great, the island is huge, and there's more to do than you think. It's just a blast, IMO.

Far Cry 3 has incredibly tedious and repetitive gameplay that mostly just involves hunting icons on a minimap. There's almost nothing fun or interesting about it.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mastermetal777

@Pffrbt: Says you. I found it incredibly entertaining, but if you didn't like it, that's fine.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wiouds

@mastermetal777: I am just saying what Lulu_Lulu.

I am not disagreeing with you. I say let other play their games their way as long as they do not use cheese in MP games.

As for Far Cry 3, I found parts to be tedious and/or repetitive. It is not a bad game but I found most of the shoots to not be good. I found the villains to be boring bond villains. I doun that the story shows what violent can do to a person much better that Spec Ops the Line ever did.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@wiouds

Or underpowered and get stuck half way through the game.

Skill fixes that.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

What Skills ?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Behardy24

@mastermetal777 said:

@behardy24: Good luck getting most people to see it that way, especially the gameplay whores. I appreciate a story wholeheartedly though, and you're right. It does keep most games from getting tedious, IMO, even if it's not the most well-written. It just has to be engaging, like the Uncharted trilogy for example. Not the greatest stories by any stretch, but they're told well and are exhilarating to experience for me.

Yeah, it's surpising how many people disregard stories in video games. If it wasn't for stories, I probably wouldn't be as invested in video games as I am now. Though I would enjoy a great narrative, I can usually be fine with a lack-lustering one. An example is Killzone 2. The characters and story are not good by any means, but I can see they tried and I can appreciate that. It's what kept me going throughout the game. On the other hand, Resistance: Fall of Man barley had any story or lore. If anything, it seemed like Insomaic put that in the back-burner and add it the last minute. The gunplay and difficulty were great, but without the story, it just felt ultra-repetitive.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 torenojohn7

@Lulu_Lulu: I can tolerate a level of grinding but damn some RPG games really overdo this shtick,that's why i can't get into most mainstream RPG's... its just too much of a stat based grind-fest rather then relying on your skills the game only needs you to be on level 100,000 whatever and you can easily beat the enemy.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@torenojohn7

Thats the 1st thing I do in every RPG, I immediately run off outside of the main town area and seek out some monsters, I wana see if it wants me to be smart or my character to be strong.... 99% of the time its usually the Latter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Sounds like a simple Patronizing Power Fantasy.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

@thereal25 said:

Skyrim: Everyone knows that after a certain point it become quite repetitive.

Far Cry 3: The grenades don't work and the gunplay feels kind of "off" somehow. Also the games seems to lack a clear direction. Plus it can get kind of tedious.

Borderlands 2 (goty): I'm playing this single player. The map is kind of confusing - and it easy to get lost and run around in circles - going past the same areas again and again. Also the gameplay just seems so sameish. The only thing that really makes it fun is the second life feature.

Max Payne 3: Sorry but even this game gets a bit tedious and repetitive.

Thats a list of some solid games there, so no I guess.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: Most video games are power fantasies, if you've noticed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

The Key word in my previous post being "Patronizing" ! ! !