Dante's Inferno Thread - Reviews are in! OXM 8, IGN 7.5, 1up C+, so-so

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Just thought I post the latest reviews for God of...I mean, Dante's Inferno! :P

So far, the reviews seem positive! Real good, in fact, better than I thought! More importantly, looks like the game is solid enough to make these reviewers ignore the whole God of War-clone thing.

As for me, the biggest concern of mine was the game's length. Finally a reviewer listed how long it took him to beat the game. He said he progressed through the game in about 12-15 hours on normal. That's good news to me, since I was worried the game would be too short.

Here are the reviews so far:

Play Magazine UK - 9.0

Digital Chumps - 8.8

Planet 360 - 8.6

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9526/Dantes_Inferno_-_Review

The story is one of the most compelling parts of Dante's Inferno the video game, never once did I find myself bored or uninterested in what plot twists would be coming next as I progressed through the 12-15 hour campaign (on the normal difficulty setting).

It's no God of War III but I think it's a nice appetizer. Good thing this appetizer looks like it can be a meal in itself, if you know what I mean!

EDIT:

Looks like the game really isn't 12-15 hours long. As confirmed by Kevin - V (read post below), the game is just under 10 hours, about 8-9. Another review from some less profile site also said he completed the game in 8 hours. So either the guy on Planet 360 just really sucks at games or he's wathcing the anime while playing the game to add hours!:P

Thanks Kevin - V for the info. 8)

Also, reviews seems mixed. At one end, Computer and Video Games UK loved it giving it a 9, and then 1up gave it a C+. Looks like the game is either hit or miss, a guilty pleasure game, or just doesn't live up to other games of this genre that does it better (God of War, for example).

But overall, the reviews point out that the game's greatest strength is the art direction, graphics, and 60fps gameplay. Other than that, it doesn't meet God of War's standards in terms of level design, even though artisically it's impressive.

For me, I'll skip it for now and either rent it or get it at a bargain bin. I bought Twilight Princess for the Wii instead today, which I think is worth my money more than Dante's Inferno.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

I finished Dante's Inferno last night; it took me just under 8 hours on medium difficulty, and I hardly hurried through. I have no idea how anyone could manage to stretch it to 15. That claim is rather flabbergasting to me.

_CaptainHappy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 _CaptainHappy_
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

I totaly forgot I was gonna buy it on opening day :(

Dont do drugs kids

HaloFanBoy17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 HaloFanBoy17
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts

I really don't care to play it , I just don't like what EA has done to it. The Inferno and the Divine Comedy as a whole is a great piece of literature and I don't think that EA has done it any justice . I understand that it had to be changed to be a game ,but I would have preferred if it was a bit more reminiscent to Danre Alighieri's work of art.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story

I finished Dante's Inferno last night; it took me just under 8 hours on medium difficulty, and I hardly hurried through. I have no idea how anyone could manage to stretch it to 15. That claim is rather flabbergasting to me.

Kevin-V
Thanks for the info. I guess it isn't that long then. Now I'm thinking twice about getting the game at full price. I guess I'll try picking the game up at a discount then. Just wondering, do you think the game is good?
Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

ASK_Story
Thanks for the info. I guess it isn't that long then. Now I'm thinking twice about getting the game at full price. I guess I'll try picking the game up at a discount then. Just wondering, do you think the game is good?

We're still under embargo, so that I can't say unfortunately.
HaloFanBoy17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 HaloFanBoy17
Member since 2007 • 338 Posts
[QUOTE="Kevin-V"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

Had you read the Divine Comedy before playing the game? Or if not do you think you read it later on?
longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Playing the game right now actually. Just entered Gluttony, though I might take a break. :P

optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

Kevin-V

Would you play it again on your own leisure?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Don't forget to read the novel before the review! Not since Seven Samurai 20XX has such a faithful adaptation hit the market!

Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts
Cheap plug time! We'll have Kevin and Mc Shea on next week's HotSpot in order to talk all about Dante's Inferno. Probably BioShock 2 as well.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44226 Posts

Sweet. So far so good. I really enjoyed the demo and the videos I've seen look wickedly cool so I'm planning on picking the game up.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

The Cleopatra boss fight made me laugh when I first saw how she created enemies. :P

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

lol, Kevin wins the thread in the first reply. :P

Anyway, u guys seen the Super Bowl ad for this game? It's ALL CGi! All of it. I dont even think the particular cinematic is in the game, it seems like it was made just for the ad. It's sooooo wrong, yet it will selll hundred of thousands of copies, if not millions. I think it's a great ad, very effective, but it's such a cheap tactic showing no gameplay footage whatsoever.

I think this will be the first time a video game has an ad shown during the super bowl.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Tell me when the real reviews start to come out. :Pdvader654

And what might those be, pray tell? :P

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shame-usBlackley

Kevin-V

I could very easily see one reviewer clocking his total playtime (deaths, restarts, everything) and referring to that as his time spent with the game. Technically, that would still be correct. While it's possible that another reviewer (and probably the method I'd use) would go by the time shown on the last save file, which is also correct. Two different outcomes, neither is really incorrect.

Not saying for sure that is what happened here, only that it's a strong possibility. And given the inconsistent standards of professional reviews, literally ANYTHING is possible.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, so I may have to consider picking it up sometime. The monsters look pretty cool too.
cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

12- 15 HOURS? WTF? That is a bad length. I probably won't be getting it...

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

cloudmip
You can always rent it. I know I am.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#21 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
We're still under embargo, so that I can't say unfortunately. Kevin-V
So I guess we can assume that it didn't score high enough with you guys to get past the embargo. I preordered the game simply because it's a game that offers the CE for standard price. I would like to see more games offer that. instead of $70-$90+ editions of games. plus what little I played wasn't too bad
XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

cloudmip

12 - 15 hours is normal for a action-heavy game.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Still think this is going to be a solid rental for me, if I can find it. I had fun with the demo, and as far as similarities go, it feels like what Saints Row is to some of the earlier GTA games. I haven't seen a lot on this game, but I am interested in seeing how the circles of hell are going to be designed. If anything, that'll be the reason I give this game a go.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
The demo seemed solid enough but I'm not a big enough fan of this genre to play 2 very similar games a month apart, especially the lesser of the two (most likely). At worst, it will hamper my enjoyment of GOW III which I've been really excited for.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Tell me when the real reviews start to come out. :Pdvader654

And what might those be, pray tell? :P

The ones that have to wait for the embargo to end probably cause they don't meet some score qualifier.

Good luck with that. ;)

sogni_belli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sogni_belli
Member since 2010 • 950 Posts

I really don't care to play it , I just don't like what EA has done to it. The Inferno and the Divine Comedy as a whole is a great piece of literature and I don't think that EA has done it any justice . I understand that it had to be changed to be a game ,but I would have preferred if it was a bit more reminiscent to Danre Alighieri's work of art.

HaloFanBoy17

I agree. The Divine Comedy is one of the greatest pieces of literature of all time. (Read it in the original Italian if you can. The Ciardi translation is good, but Dante's original text is truly beautiful.) I'm personally not going to play the game. Dante was a poet and a scholar who worshipped Beatrice from afar, not a Kratos wannabe. However, if it gets people interested in and eventually reading The Inferno, it's all good.

anna tatangelo

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ASK_Story

Don't forget to read the novel before the review! Not since Seven Samurai 20XX has such a faithful adaptation hit the market!

CarnageHeart

That's great, because EA Viceral games said that they want to adapt Macbeth after Dante's Inferno. :o

(Seriously, no joke or sarcasm, the producer is really thinking about adapting Macbeth into a game)

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

The demo left me indifferent; I didn't hate it but it struck me as very average, esecially compared to games like Bayonetta and DarkSiders that seem rife with personality.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
still no mention of my biggest criteria: how often to evil fetuses attack the player?
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Review is up at IGN:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1066286p1.html

7.5, which sound about right. Apparently, both versions are basically the same save a few extra goodies on the PS3 end.

However, this part of the text really stood out: "On the other hand, there are times when the game seems to include things just for shock value – like monsters that project human genitalia as a ranged attack."

GOTY Confirmed.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Review is up at IGN:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1066286p1.html

7.5, which sound about right. Apparently, both versions are basically the same save a few extra goodies on the PS3 end.

However, this part of the text really stood out: "On the other hand, there are times when the game seems to include things just for shock value – like monsters that project human genitalia as a ranged attack."

GOTY Confirmed.

:lol: i was about to post that. divine comedy indeed.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

I finished GoW 1 & 2 in just under 10 hours a piece, so this is the expected length.

I'll be picking up the Divine Edition (actually Gamestop is shipping it to me with the figurine).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CarnageHeart

The Eurogamer review is hilarious.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dantes-inferno-review?page=1

Unfortunately the rest of the script wasn't. It's packed with clichés and colloquialisms, and much of the voice acting is so naff that even the decent lines sound rubbish. Take the game's opening scene, in which you must battle none other than Death himself. This is less exciting than it sounds, partly because Death fights with all the speed and power of a sleepy kitten. But also because he spouts things like, "You dare to defy me, mortal?" in an American accent.

As you prepare to stove his head in for the final time he confirms himself as an utter weed by begging, "No, wait - please!" It doesn't feel like you're defeating the terrifying spectre of grim mortality so much as a baddie out of Thundercats.

Also, it indicates the same game design issue that crippled the demo is present in the sequel. In my review of the demo I said:

As for the game itself, the enemy design in the demo is weak and the garden variety enemies all surround you in a great mob, then wait patiently as Dante destroys them one at a time.So its an action game which features very little in the way of action (which I view as back and forth violence between two sides, not one side standing around as the other side slaughters it).

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27163388&page=2

Eurogamer said:

You can earn extra souls by spearing enemies with your scythe, then choosing whether to Absolve them (by hammering one button) or Punish them (by pressing another). During this process any nearby minions of Hell who were in the middle of attacking you will stand back politely, as though waiting their turn for the hummus spoon at a buffet. It only takes an extra second or two but by the time you're several levels and a few hundred enemies in, it seems a lot easier to forget the spear business altogether and just hack everyone up.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

[QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

ASK_Story

It's a GoW clone. Of course it's good. :P

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MadVybz

You can earn extra souls by spearing enemies with your scythe, then choosing whether to Absolve them (by hammering one button) or Punish them (by pressing another). During this process any nearby minions of Hell who were in the middle of attacking you will stand back politely, as though waiting their turn for the hummus spoon at a buffet. It only takes an extra second or two but by the time you're several levels and a few hundred enemies in, it seems a lot easier to forget the spear business altogether and just hack everyone up.

CarnageHeart

That's the exact same case for God Of War though, yet no one complained about it then. :|

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

MadVybz

That's the exact same case for God Of War though, yet no one complained about it then. :|

In GoW enemies never clumped around Kratos passively waiting their turn to be massacred.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

In GoW enemies never clumped around Kratos passively waiting their turn to be massacred.

They kind of did....I beat GoW in one playthrough where I did nothing but grab every single enemy. They all did nothing as I killed them off one by one.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

They kind of did....I beat GoW in one playthrough where I did nothing but grab every single enemy. They all did nothing as I killed them off one by one.

You just made that up. Its not possible to take down most GoW enemies without weakening them.

Dude, if you want to buy DI despite its sloppy combat, that's cool, but don't try to put its design sloppiness on GoW (GoW also doesn't make you mash buttons to open chests).

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

You just made that up. Its not possible to take down most GoW enemies without weakening them.

Dude, if you want to buy DI despite its sloppy combat, that's cool, but don't try to put its design sloppiness on GoW (GoW also doesn't make you mash buttons to open chests).

Yeah, sure, claim that I made it up instead of trying it for yourself.

When a mob surrounds you, grab every enemy and tell me if they try to attack you.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

When a mob surrounds you, grab every enemy and tell me if they try to attack you.

I just tried it in the GoW3 demo. One I grabbed an enemy, his buddies didn't turn pacifist, they kept hacking (breaking my hold on whoever I had grabbed). Shocking!

But like I said, if you're happy with DI, enjoy it. I hope that enough people buy DI to make EA money since I respect Visceral's other game (Dead Space).

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

I just tried it in the GoW3 demo. One I grabbed an enemy, his buddies didn't turn pacifist, they kept hacking (breaking my hold on whoever I had grabbed). Shocking!

But like I said, if you're happy with DI, enjoy it. I hope that enough people buy DI to make EA money since I respect Visceral's other game (Dead Space).

I'm obviously talking about GoW's 1 and 2...Games that have been released and reviewed.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

I'm obviously talking about GoW's 1 and 2...Games that have been released and reviewed.

RE4 was another awesome game Visceral used as a source of inspiration, but while they copied its strengths, they didn't see fit to copy its weaknesses (well, not all of them). That is why I had been optimistic about Dante's Inferno even knowing it was inspired by GoW. I figured they'd make some improvements. Sadly, they did less than nothing (my take) or at best, nothing (yours).

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Okay, we gotta clarify this-

In God of War, when you weaken an enemy, the O button appears above their head. You go up to them and push it. At that point, no enemies attack Kratos as he goes about killing whatever it is. This is also what Dante's Inferno does, and it is one of the things he was complaining about.

This actually reminds me a bit of Darksiders where the new game is put under a much more critical light than the games it borrows from. I read so many reviews of Darksiders that said the combat was easy and lacked depth, but good luck finding a review that says the same about Twilight Princess, a game you can literally waggle your way through almost every enemy except bosses and the few you need to perform a unique move on before the waggle.

You know, I would actually point out Gamespot's review of Twilight Princess as an example to prove my point wrong, but we remember how that turned out, right?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart

In God of War, when you weaken an enemy, the O button appears above their head. You go up to them and push it. At that point, no enemies attack Kratos as he goes about killing whatever it is. This is also what Dante's Inferno does, and it is one of the things he was complaining about.

This actually reminds me a bit of Darksiders where the new game is put under a much more critical light than the games it borrows from. I read so many reviews of Darksiders that said the combat was easy and lacked depth, but good luck finding a review that says the same about Twilight Princess, a game you can literally waggle your way through almost every enemy except bosses and the few you need to perform a unique move on before the waggle.

You know, I would actually point out Gamespot's review of Twilight Princess as an example to prove my point wrong, but we remember how that turned out, right?

AtomicTangerine

Let's continue clarifying.

The problem with DI is the fact that QTEs are needed to kill low level enemies the holy way. In the GoWs, there are no QTEs for low level enemies like harpies or soldiers. The QTEs are for mid to high level monsters like medusas, minotaurs and ogres (as you and I but not Madvybz knows, those enemies have to be worn down before the QTE can be triggered).

Linking QTEs to the type of enemies that don't need to be worn down/the type you fight 20 at a time was just a poor design decision on Visceral's part.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MadVybz

[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

CarnageHeart

Let's continue clarifying.

The problem with DI is the fact that QTEs are needed to kill low level enemies the holy way. In the GoWs, there are no QTEs for low level enemies like harpies or soldiers. The QTEs are for mid to high level monsters like medusas, minotaurs and ogres (as you and I but not Madvybz knows, those enemies have to be worn down before the QTE can be triggered).

Linking QTEs to the type of enemies that don't need to be worn down/the type you fight 20 at a time was just a poor design decision on Visceral's part.

I know full well what's what in GoW, but when you're surrounded by low to mid level enemies you can grab whoever the hell you want and they will all stand idly by while you kill them off one by one....I only brought it up because I think of it as unfair for DI to be criticized for it when GoW's 1 and 2 did the same and it was overlooked.

Bobzfamily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bobzfamily
Member since 2008 • 1514 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

MadVybz

No...I've been playing through GoW (I just purchased the GoW Collection) and you are not "able to grab every single enemy".

For one thing, the majority of the monsters have to be weakened first. In fact, the only monsters I can think of that can be grabbed at any time are: the undead soldiers at the very beginning (later ones have to be weakened), undead archers, harpies, Satyrs.

And you will be attacked when you press "O" to grab an enemy. While you beat on him, nearby enemies will often attack you interrupting the beating.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

lol, Kevin wins the thread in the first reply. :P

Anyway, u guys seen the Super Bowl ad for this game? It's ALL CGi! All of it. I dont even think the particular cinematic is in the game, it seems like it was made just for the ad. It's sooooo wrong, yet it will selll hundred of thousands of copies, if not millions. I think it's a great ad, very effective, but it's such a cheap tactic showing no gameplay footage whatsoever.

I think this will be the first time a video game has an ad shown during the super bowl.

S0lidSnake
DAO did the same thing. None of that CGI was present in the game. But I agree, especially when you consider the power of machines today.