Anita-inspired character appears in Towerfall (GS link)

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

We're missing the point of this conversation!

It has nothing to do with gamer gate I don't even pay attention to that stuff.

Real life people, in video games? That's the biggest fib I've ever heard.

NOT

Because the DOOM marine, was a real life dude, we know for a fact. I heard he died of a heart attack or something though. Poor DOOM marine. R.I.P. I would loved to have met him!

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Anita "game critic" lol, i've heard it all

I'd like to think a critic tries to be impartial and objective, she is just looking for things that prove her point even if taken out of context.

Anyway all justice warrior garbages will agree with her no matter what.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Well, if you want to go by a very basic popular definition of the term, we can take:

'one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances'

and see that that is more or less what she does.

Nice try, but no.

Again she doesnt judge the game or "review" any games at all. What she does is take women in gaming and use characters that are in games. As proof of her arguments.

There is a difference, and calling her a game critic is a misrepresentation of what she actually do.

Which would make her a game critic. She isn't a critic of specific games but the industry as a whole.

Whether you like her critique or not is completely irrelevant.

I agree with this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#54 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Well, if you want to go by a very basic popular definition of the term, we can take:

'one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances'

Nice try, but no.

Again she doesnt judge the game or "review" any games at all. What she does is take women in gaming and use characters that are in games. As proof of her arguments.

There is a difference, and calling her a game critic is a misrepresentation of what she actually do.

Which would make her a game critic. She isn't a critic of specific games but the industry as a whole.

Nice try but again no.

A game critic if we go by the general understanding is someone like Kevin, Caro, Tom etc.... they are GAME critics.

But this is a moronic debate since you clearly know this and are just out to mud the debate and make it more silly than it already is.

So what about allowing this thread to say on topic.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jacanuk

@Abbeten said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

She critiques games through the lens of feminist theory.

That makes her a game critic.

It's not like every literary critic publishes popular reviews of in newspapers or websites. This seems like a strange point of contention.

Do you even know who Anita is? becuase you clearly seem to lack the basic knowledge of what she does.

She does not critic games, she has made a poor video series through Kickstarter where she looks at women in the gaming industry.

Toast i know is just there to troll and mud the debate, are you here to do the same?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

Nice try but again no.

A game critic if we go by the general understanding is someone like Kevin, Caro, Tom etc.... they are GAME critics.

But this is a moronic debate since you clearly know this and are just out to mud the debate and make it more silly than it already is.

She critiques games. That makes her a game critic.

This isn't rocket science.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

It's not like every literary critic publishes popular reviews of in newspapers or websites. This seems like a strange point of contention.

Do you even know who Anita is? becuase you clearly seem to lack the basic knowledge of what she does.

She does not critic games, she has made a poor video series through Kickstarter where she looks at women in the gaming industry.

Toast i know is just there to troll and mud the debate, are you here to do the same?

Yes, I do know who she is. Have you seen her videos or have you just read people getting mad about them? Because she very much analyzes the role of women in video games. That makes her a game critic. I have no idea what your 'general understanding of what a game critic' is, but it seems like you're limiting it to conventional reviewers which is incorrect.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

Nice try but again no.

No, she questions the state of women in the gaming industry both real and fictional.

But i know you troll Toast so have fun.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jacanuk

@Abbeten said:

@Jacanuk said:

Yes, I do know who she is. Have you seen her videos or have you just read people getting mad about them? Because she very much analyzes the role of women in video games. That makes her a game critic. I have no idea what your 'general understanding of what a game critic' is, but it seems like you're limiting it to conventional reviewers which is incorrect.

Right right

Call her a space troll from the planet venus if that makes you feel better.

Luckily she and most people who arent just internet trolls know what she is and does. So lets just end it with agreeing to disagree and you can jump back into your merry little way.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

Nice try but again no.

No, she questions the state of women in the gaming industry both real and fictional.

You do know that's what a critic does... right...?

They question aspects of art...

This isn't the reading rainbow's/the modern review environment's form of critique; it's not "you should read this book. It's awesome, but you'll have to read the rest for yourself to find out." You pick a topic you state your argument and you provide evidence for your argument.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jacanuk

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

This isn't the reading rainbow's/the modern review environment's form of critique; it's not "you should read this book. It's awesome, but you'll have to read the rest for yourself to find out." You pick a topic you state your argument and you provide evidence for your argument.

Sigh......

You know what call her whatever you want. I have no desire to argue on such a low level.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#62 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

Nice try but again no.

Would you accept gaming industry critic?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#63 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Does it matter if she is a gaming critic?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JustPlainLucas

@Pedro said:

Semantics are apparently important to some. *shrugs*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Pedro said:

He does this quite a lot. Can't think of any thing to add to the discussion so he derails it into something that shouldn't even need to be debated, then once he realises he's wrong he claims he's too smart for such petty discussions and gives up.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

It just really seems like a strange point of contention.

'Game critic' isn't an honorific. To call her that isn't to praise her, it's just to give a description of what she does.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pedro

@toast_burner said:

He does this quite a lot. Can't think of any thing to add to the discussion so he derails it into something that shouldn't even need to be debated, then once he realises he's wrong he claims he's too smart for such petty discussions and gives up.

I have experienced frequent derailment of discussions from most;not all, GG supporters so I can relate.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Minishdriveby

@Jacanuk said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

Sigh......

You know what call her whatever you want. I have no desire to argue on such a low level.

Then try to bring an intellectual discussion to the table next time, and maybe you won't be arguing at such a low level.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jacanuk

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

Sigh......

Then try to bring an intellectual discussion to the table next time, and maybe you won't be arguing at such a low level.

Are you really being serious here? or do you really think that your arguments are intelligent?

@toast_burner said:

@Pedro said:

I just love how you Toast tries to turn everything around to look like you are in the right.

But give up? you do know right that this is the internet and when it comes to trolls like you who often fall down the "i lost the argument so i need to go on a personal attack trip" there is no amount of reasoning that would actually help.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

@toast_burner said:

I have experienced frequent derailment of discussions from most;not all, GG supporters so I can relate.

Who the frag are you calling a GG supporter? or you know what Pedro please do link to one post i have made that even remotely directly says i support such absolute BS that is on both sides of gamersgate.

Also the only one derailing this thread was Toast and her cohorts like you.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#71 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@Pedro said:

@toast_burner said:

Who the frag are you calling a GG supporter? or you know what Pedro please do link to one post i have made that even remotely directly says i support such absolute BS that is on both sides of gamersgate.

Welcome to my world. Don't derail this thread, i want this topic to be open. I am talking to you Pedro.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#72 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I dont get why everyone is so upset.

I thought people appreciated free DLC

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 The_Last_Ride

@illmatic87 said:

I dont get why everyone is so upset.

I thought people appreciated free DLC

Not when it's stupid crap like this

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@JustPlainLucas Okay, I have to ask: why this thread? Just to humor The_Last_Ride? Look at what you've done. ;-) It has already devolved into another discussion about semantics. I once had semantics debates, until I realised you can't really have those on the internet, because the internet contains multiple definitions that are all true (not to mention several 'generally accepted' definitions that don't really exist anywhere, but that can't be argued against, because they are 'generally accepted'). Which means all these discussions end up being like 'my definition is the truest of all definitions'.

This seems fitting in so many ways (never thought I would ever link to youtube).

As for the topic: I don't think I could care less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

I just love how you Toast tries to turn everything around to look like you are in the right.

But give up? you do know right that this is the internet and when it comes to trolls like you who often fall down the "i lost the argument so i need to go on a personal attack trip" there is no amount of reasoning that would actually help.

You accuse others of derailing the thread yet you still refuse to go back on topic. Who are you trying to fool? Everyone can clearly see it was you who brought up this non-debate about what a critic is, and as soon as you realised you were wrong you brought up this non-debate about "no u"

So why don't you actually answer my question? What is wrong with basing a character on a video game critic? Devs base characters on real people all the time.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Minishdriveby

@Jacanuk said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@Jacanuk said:

Sigh......

Are you really being serious here? or do you really think that your arguments are intelligent?

I don't think my counter-points are intelligent. They're just common sense. It's hard to be intelligent when the original argument that was brought up was on such a low level.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:

There was not any intended implication on you so please don't take it in that manner.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

So?, Many characters in videogames are inspired by or based on real life people.

Dr. Light in Megaman was based on Thomas Edison

Kratos in God of War was based on Ed Norton and his role in American History X

Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat was based on Jean-Claude van Damme

Mordin from Mass effect was based on Clint Eastwood

Nathan drake from the Uncharted series was based on Johnny Knoxville

Not to mention Fei Long, Liu Kang, Marshal Law, and Hitmonlee are all based on Bruce Lee

It's not something new, and it's not always celebrities. The Boo's in the Mario games were based on a Developer, Takashi Tezuka, wife. and then you have the inclusion of Michael Mamaril in Borderlands 2.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 JustPlainLucas

@loafofgame said:

@JustPlainLucas Okay, I have to ask: why this thread? Just to humor The_Last_Ride? Look at what you've done. ;-) It has already devolved into another discussion about semantics. I once had semantics debates, until I realised you can't really have those on the internet, because the internet contains multiple definitions that are all true (not to mention several 'generally accepted' definitions that don't really exist anywhere, but that can't be argued against, because they are 'generally accepted'). Which means all these discussions end up being like 'my definition is the truest of all definitions'.

This seems fitting in so many ways (never thought I would ever link to youtube).

As for the topic: I don't think I could care less.

Because it was a thread that I wanted to talk about it. How quickly and how many people involved in derailing the thread is out of my hands, though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

You accuse others of derailing the thread yet you still refuse to go back on topic. Who are you trying to fool? Everyone can clearly see it was you who brought up this non-debate about what a critic is, and as soon as you realised you were wrong you brought up this non-debate about "no u"

So why don't you actually answer my question? What is wrong with basing a character on a video game critic? Devs base characters on real people all the time.

When someone comes with a comment like yours i had to respond. Also please go back and check who it was that brought up the game critic thing, because i sure didn't, all i did was respond and disagree. This is after all a forum for that if i am not mistaken.

And to answer your question, there is absolute nothing wrong with someone wanting attention for their game. To use your own words "What's surprising about an attention seeker doing what attention seekers do?"

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

@Jacanuk said:

There was not any intended implication on you so please don't take it in that manner.

Hmm, ok.

But don't for a second think i support either sides crazyness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

When someone comes with a comment like yours i had to respond. Also please go back and check who it was that brought up the game critic thing, because i sure didn't, all i did was respond and disagree. This is after all a forum for that if i am not mistaken.

And to answer your question, there is absolute nothing wrong with someone wanting attention for their game. To use your own words "What's surprising about an attention seeker doing what attention seekers do?"

Yes you responded, but after you were corrected you for what ever reason decided to repeat yourself. You should have stopped as soon as you realised you were wrong. At least InvisibleJim (the one who started the critic "debate") had the sense to keep it to one post.

If there's nothing wrong with it then why are all the gamergate cronies getting so upset?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@Treflis said:

So?, Many characters in videogames are inspired by or based on real life people.

Not to mention Fei Long, Liu Kang, Marshal Law, and Hitmonlee are all based on Bruce Lee

It's not something new, and it's not always celebrities. The Boo's in the Mario games were based on a Developer, Takashi Tezuka, wife. and then you have the inclusion of Michael Mamaril in Borderlands 2.

I think it's because no one has issues with those people's views on gaming.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

Yes you responded, but after you were corrected you for what ever reason decided to repeat yourself. You should have stopped as soon as you realised you were wrong. At least InvisibleJim (the one who started the critic "debate") had the sense to keep it to one post.

If there's nothing wrong with it then why are all the gamergate cronies getting so upset?

I wasn´t corrected.

Anyways i have no idea why some people are upset, you could try asking them. I didn´t have Towerfall before this thread and i won't have it after.

Funny thing is though that i didn't even know Towerfall existed before this thread.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Treflis said:

I think it's because no one has issues with those people's views on gaming.

Her views are frankly irrelevant since it is her apperance that the developer has based a character off.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@Treflis said:

Her views are frankly irrelevant since it is her apperance that the developer has based a character off.

And her appearance is a reminder of her views to people who are against them, hence the boycott. It's the same reason people boycott Chick-Fil-A, because even though no one at the stores actually preaches, some people don't want to spend their money there because of the COO's views. I think it's silly to boycott based on personal politics, but I at least understand why.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Treflis said:

And her appearance is a reminder of her views to people who are against them, hence the boycott. It's the same reason people boycott Chick-Fil-A, because even though no one at the stores actually preaches, some people don't want to spend their money there because of the COO's views. I think it's silly to boycott based on personal politics, but I at least understand why.

Except with Chick-fil_A they were directly giving portion of the profits to hate groups so by eating there you are giving your money to those groups. This is completely different.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JustPlainLucas

@toast_burner said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Treflis said:

Except with Chick-fil_A they were directly giving portion of the profits to hate groups so by eating there you are giving your money to those groups. This is completely different.

No it's not. The developer of Towerfall sides with Anita. Anti-Anita people do not want that developer to have their money. Same thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@JustPlainLucas said:

@toast_burner said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Treflis said:

No it's not. The developer of Towerfall sides with Anita. Anti-Anita people do not want that developer to have their money. Same thing.

If the devs were giving their money to Anita it would be similar. But they aren't doing that.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 JustPlainLucas

@toast_burner said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@toast_burner said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Treflis said:

If the devs were giving their money to Anita it would be similar. But they aren't doing that.

Nevermind the money that's passing hands behind the scenes. It's the simple fact of not giving money to people who have views or share views with people you don't agree with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@JustPlainLucas said:

@toast_burner said:

Nevermind the money that's passing hands behind the scenes. It's the simple fact of not giving money to people who have views or share views with people you don't agree with.

But the issue with Chick-Fil-A wasn't simply that people disagreed with them. I get what you're saying but you chose a terrible example.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 JustPlainLucas

@toast_burner said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@toast_burner said:

But the issue with Chick-Fil-A wasn't simply that people disagreed with them. I get what you're saying but you chose a terrible example.

Ok. Here's a better one. I used to work for a company called Metro One, which was a telecommunications directory assistance firm. We started a product called Infone, and we used Crossfire host James Carville for one of our commercials. We had people call in just to complain about our choice of spokesman because of his political views. Thus, they refused to use our service.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@Abbeten said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

I think you need to be more specific Anita is a hardcore sex negative feminist. She critiques games through a sex negative lens of feminist theory in addition her philosophical under pinnings are from the 2nd wave in that she arrogantly believes that only HER views, as a straight white female are the only valid ones. This is the reason why she and her white knights dismiss any female who disagrees with them.Basically what I am saying is she is a terabad Feminist critique

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

You guys take gaming way too seriously XD

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 The_Last_Ride

@blangenakker said:

You guys take gaming way too seriously XD

no we're passionate

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#96 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You're really shooting yourself in the foot if you let politics keep you from playing this fantastic game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Krelian-co

@Bigboi500 said:

You're really shooting yourself in the foot if you let politics keep you from playing this fantastic game.

Playing it would mean supporting and endorsing anita, so no thanks, i'll pass id rather gamers send a clear message to her or any dev that supports her.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Krelian-co said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Playing it would mean supporting and endorsing anita, so no thanks, i'll pass id rather gamers send a clear message to her or any dev that supports her.

How does playing the game equal supporting and endorsing Anita? Is it just the fact that one character is based on her? If you play the Soviet campaign in Call of Duty, does that mean you support and endorse Stalinistic communism? Your reasoning is just as extreme as someone saying that playing violent videogames means you're supporting and endorsing violence.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 JustPlainLucas

@Krelian-co said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but by that logic, playing Shadow Complex means you support homophobia because of its story running parallel to an Orson Scott Card novel.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Krelian-co

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but by that logic, playing Shadow Complex means you support homophobia because of its story running parallel to an Orson Scott Card novel.

feel free to not play that game then.