3 years later, does Mass Effect 3 ending still hunts you?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

The Indoctrination Theory cannot work. In fact, it would cause a plot hole because Vendetta would not talk to you on Thessia if you were indoctrinated. Also it would completely wreck the rivalry between Shepard and TIM.

The ending simply put, does fit the franchise. The entire series was about how actions or decisions of one (or a group, race, person, whatever) can alter and affect the destinies of others and how this leads to conflict and bad consequences, especially if ignorant or unaware of the consequences the decision has on others. Think of it like this. How many quests in the series dealt with an AI project gone wrong? Or an attempt to control lifeforms to be used as tools that backfire and kill the lab? Or a race that was uplifted to solve a problem that led to problems and conflict later on? All throughout the series. Well, the Catalyst, the starchild, starbrat, whatever not only fits this theme, but twice over, as a way for its creators to control its subjects and then it controls the destinies of advanced civilizations in the galaxy after it backfires against its creators. Its a sci fi ending, hell, it puts the Mass Effect in Mass Effect. This is NOT Guardians of the Galaxy as a lot of the idiot fanbase thought it was.

And the Extended Cut, showed you the consquences of your actions, not just the final choice. hell, I got the outcome where the Rachni settled the Krogan homeworld in an ironic twist.

It amazes me that you still to this day can't handle people having a different opinion than you.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts
@spike6958 said:

saying goodbye to Liara.

When exactly did that happen?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I had such an amazing time with the game, the ending couldn't possibly spoil it for me, even if it was pretty bland.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14900 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

Yes, the ending still sucks. The primary reason it sucks is because it was so lazy, wasn't really an ending at all. It was clear the developers couldn't think of a proper ending and so went with the God option instead; y'know, suddenly inject some all-powerful character into the story that can conclude things with a snap of his/her fingers.

An analogy could be a big upcoming MMA fight, say Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva. It's about to begin, you're pumped for it, then Dana White suddenly appears in the center of the Octagon, mumbles some words to Jones who in turn mumbles something back, and Silva falls over unconscious in his corner without a punch or kick thrown. The ref lifts Jones' arm in victory and the credits roll. That is the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Well, that sucks. Just have the guys fight and let's see who wins!

And c'mon, what is gearing up to be a galactic-level confrontation ending because of some chit-chat is silly. If that were a viable solution it never would have gotten that far to begin with.

Wow, you just don't get it. That's the problem now with people who bash ME3's ending, they simply put, did not pay attention to the themes of the game or the foreshadowing of the ending (and I am not talking about Leviathan).

Lets help people get it shall we.

The master, the starchild, the Catalyst, was foreshadowed by Vendetta on Thessia before Kai Leng arrives, he does not appear out of nowhere. Shepard even asks "who is the master?". Second, the Catalyst does NOT solve the problem, he does not resolve the story, Shepard does. In fact the Catalyst says this after Shepard asks why he is helping him/her.

"You have altered the variables, the Crucible changed me, created new possibilities, but I can't make them happen, if there is to be a new solution, you must act/choose."

Its the CRUCIBLE, which Shepard and his allies successfully bring, that solves the problem, not a deus ex machina.

So, Shepard does win, however, in a cliché break, you finally meet the main villain AFTER its defeat, which is rare in a story. And in fact, if you want to finish off the Catalyst, pick destroy. However, the theme of ME3 is sacrifice and every choice in the end had a price. Victory is not won without cost.

Nevermind the backstory of the Catalyst completely fits the themes of the series and so does its character. The PROBLEM with the original ending was that it was badly underdeveloped in all forms of the ending. The concept itself was not flawed.

Apparently you weren't paying attention. If you've already beaten them prior to the godchild's appearance then why does refusing to answer his goofy questions result in your forces being destroyed and the Reapers winning? If you choose destroy it shows them simply falling out of the sky as though they've chosen to turn themselves off. If the Crucible is doing that it's a ridiculous amount of power for one machine, a godlike power. Speaking of godlike powers what about the synergy option? Simply answer a question and as though God just snapped his fingers all organic life suddenly becomes partially synthetic. C'mon! Bioware didn't know how to show the allied forces winning in anything approaching a realistic way. Obviously the whole thing got too big for them. So they chose a light switch kind of method which not only stretches credulity but is lame storytelling.

Wow, you are mumbling nonsense. Once again......How is the Catalyst "God"? How is the Crucible "God"? They are not, you weren't paying attention to the story.

On Chronos Station you learn the Citadel amplifies and directs energy throughout the galaxy, and the Crucible is hinted all throughout the game and confirmed by the Catalyst as a power source (for dark energy), nothing more. Control and Destroy involves Shepard interacting with the AI core, and in Synthesis, Shepard him or herself is the trigger. Nevermind the Catalyst is the McGuffin you were looking for the entire game before the twist is that it is the main antagonist. Face facts here, there is no deus ex machina. You just weren't paying attention.

If you refuse, the Catalyst has nothing to go on but the cycle so it continues one more time.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By texasgoldrush

@garywood69 said:
@spike6958 said:

saying goodbye to Liara.

When exactly did that happen?

Two chances, at the Forward Operating Base and at the run to the beam.

@foxhound_fox said:

@texasgoldrush said:

The Indoctrination Theory cannot work. In fact, it would cause a plot hole because Vendetta would not talk to you on Thessia if you were indoctrinated. Also it would completely wreck the rivalry between Shepard and TIM.

The ending simply put, does fit the franchise. The entire series was about how actions or decisions of one (or a group, race, person, whatever) can alter and affect the destinies of others and how this leads to conflict and bad consequences, especially if ignorant or unaware of the consequences the decision has on others. Think of it like this. How many quests in the series dealt with an AI project gone wrong? Or an attempt to control lifeforms to be used as tools that backfire and kill the lab? Or a race that was uplifted to solve a problem that led to problems and conflict later on? All throughout the series. Well, the Catalyst, the starchild, starbrat, whatever not only fits this theme, but twice over, as a way for its creators to control its subjects and then it controls the destinies of advanced civilizations in the galaxy after it backfires against its creators. Its a sci fi ending, hell, it puts the Mass Effect in Mass Effect. This is NOT Guardians of the Galaxy as a lot of the idiot fanbase thought it was.

And the Extended Cut, showed you the consquences of your actions, not just the final choice. hell, I got the outcome where the Rachni settled the Krogan homeworld in an ironic twist.

It amazes me that you still to this day can't handle people having a different opinion than you.

Or is it that the opinion is poorly arrived at? Including yours, it seems you didn't play the Extended Cut.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Yes, was loving the series so much until the last 15 minutes

Mandatory in b4 texas and "if you didn't like the ending must be because you didn't understand it!!! it takes a genius to understand the mcguffin garbage ending it was!!!!"

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

Mandatory in b4 texas and "if you didn't like the ending must be because you didn't understand it!!! it takes a genius to understand the mcguffin garbage ending it was!!!!"

Same here. It suck when the last 15 minutes of the third game made the story from the first two games and most of the third game meaningless and I am not just talking about the choices you made.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Krelian-co

@wiouds said:

@Krelian-co said:

Same here. It suck when the last 15 minutes of the third game made the story from the first two games and most of the third game meaningless and I am not just talking about the choices you made.

it made everything meaningless, choices, story, everything, it was the laziest solution the could come up with, a last minute magical character that gives sheppard choices because....reasons! You don't win because you united the galaxy, you don't win because of your effort or choices, you win because starbrat feels like it and bioware didn't know how to handle the ending.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Minishdriveby: , "DROP EVERYTHING YOUR DOING AND COME TO EARTH! THE REAPERS ARE GOING TO INVADE! MY SPECIES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT"

Its just a game bro relax.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 foxhound_fox

@Krelian-co said:

Too late.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Krelian-co

@foxhound_fox said:

@Krelian-co said:

Too late.

BUT have you considered your opinion is poorly arrived at?

LOL TEXASGR

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 foxhound_fox

@Krelian-co said:

BUT have you considered your opinion is poorly arrived at?

LOL TEXASGR

I literally laughed aloud when I read that response. I'd rather just ignore him than egg him on. He just cannot accept that other people can have opinions that might differ from his own.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@ariabed: I don't think I'm being that fanatical about it. I thought it was a mediocre 3rd act to fairly decent series, and I was responding to why I felt that way. It's funny how when someone says anything about a beloved series that doesn't fit the general consensus, they're told to calm down as if they're overreacting. I guess it's a good way to disregard someone's opinion by making them seem like they're the one who is out of line.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ariabed

@Minishdriveby: , "DROP EVERYTHING YOUR DOING AND COME TO EARTH! THE REAPERS ARE GOING TO INVADE! MY SPECIES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT".

You are thinking too deeply into it, its only a game. If you are going to think this deeply into a games plot and then criticize it maybe you shouldnt play games.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Minishdriveby

@ariabed: That's such a nonsense argument. You're basically saying this medium is so shitty that it should be devoid of criticism because I mean they're just games right how good can it be, really? And why shouldn't I criticize Mass Effect's plot when that's touted over everything else the game does? The main feature of the game and why everyone was so upset with the ending of 3 was the dialogue tree choose-your-own-adventure story.

Criticism and calling out games on their failings is how games get better, giving a round of applause because they're games and what else did you expect is not helping.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ariabed

@Minishdriveby: no I'm saying dont think so deeply into a games plot you're nit picking.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Minishdriveby

@ariabed: I don't think I'm nitpicking. It's a pretty big point of the plot (it's basically the whole plot; you're trying to recruit species for your cause).

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ariabed

@Minishdriveby: Damn! I accidently just deleted the post you replied to, anyway.

You seem to forget that shepard is the only one who can stop the reapers who are a threat to the whole universe.

I dont think the story is promoting the notion that "my species is more important" as you put it, its more let us all unite against this evil that is a threat to everyone.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Minishdriveby

@ariabed said:

@Minishdriveby: Damn! I accidently just deleted the post you replied to, anyway.

You seem to forget that shepard is the only one who can stop the reapers who are a threat to the whole universe.

I dont think the story is promoting the notion that "my species is more important" as you put it, its more let us all unite against this evil.

I understand that BioWare has obligations to favor humans because, well, there is some bias to say the least, but it turns into a let us unite on my home world because I, the human, am the Shepard of the universe. It's just sort of eye-rolling and self-aggrandizing. I think the biggest improvement that Mass Effect 4 could do is add a species select.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Ariabed

@Minishdriveby said:

@ariabed said:

I dont think the story is promoting the notion that "my species is more important" as you put it, its more let us all unite against this evil.

I understand that BioWare has obligations to favor humans because, well, there is some bias to say the least, but it turns into a let us unite on my home world because I, the human, am the Shepard of the universe. It's just sort of eye-rolling and self-aggrandizing. I think the biggest improvement that Mass Effect 4 could do is add a species select.

idk, Earth is like ground zero of the attacks so of course they would have to unite there.

Also shepard has to earn the help he gets, its not given freely if i remember correctly.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Krelian-co said:

@wiouds said:

@Krelian-co said:

it made everything meaningless, choices, story, everything, it was the laziest solution the could come up with, a last minute magical character that gives sheppard choices because....reasons! You don't win because you united the galaxy, you don't win because of your effort or choices, you win because starbrat feels like it and bioware didn't know how to handle the ending.

Funny....you really don't get it do you.

Once again, foreshadowing, not only in Leviathan but in the main game as well, once again on Thessia.. You have chosen to ignore this. He is not a last minute magical character, he is the main antagonist of the entire series. Get some knowledge.

Second, THE REASON the Catalyst gives Shepard a choice is because Shepard made its cycle obsolete and no longer feasible by bringing the Crucible, showing that organics are now too resourceful at combating its cycle and thus will end it. In fact, if you refuse to fire the Crucible, the next cycle wins, proving its point that the cycle is no longer effective.

Third, the impact of the final choices impacts the impacts of choices you made all throughout the game and the series in the Extended Cut. that is a fact, not an opinion.

And lastly, you do win because of your efforts and choices. Face facts here, you do not get the Crucible to the Citadel, which required your efforts and choices, you do not win. But you aren't bright enough to even see this.

@ariabed said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@ariabed said:

idk, Earth is like ground zero of the attacks so of course they would have to unite there.

Also shepard has to earn the help he gets, its not given freely if i remember correctly.

Humanity are the Reapers preferred species to harvest. Mordin in ME2 gives you a huge reason why humans are special....genetic diversity. Its in the narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_Dq7VKBfQ

And Shepard isn't even recruiting the galaxy for Earth, once again, he is recruiting for the Crucible. The final battle takes place on Earth because the Citadel's moved there, which the Crucible needs to attach to. It was only about "take back Earth" in the first two hours of the game.

Also take into account that humans are also major villains in ME3 with Cerberus, the evil of humanity. They are both saviors and destroyers against the Reapers.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 texasgoldrush

@Krelian-co said:

Sorry, it doesn't take a genius, but it does require thinking, which is common in science fiction, something you apparently do not want to do.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

The ending could have been better; but I still enjoyed it. I did not find it to be awful in the slightest. I picked the 'red' ending; I figured that to be the best ending, Shepard lives (somehow), and if the indoctrination theory is ever proven true...well i still live and continue to fight.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

LOL @ the folks saying the ending was not bad. You better not be talking about the original ending that was released before Bioware bandaged it. I never supported all the crying to Bioware to change the ending but there's no doubt in hell that the original ending was pure garbage. Truth be told, I have never played the new updated ending so the original is all I refer to as canon. Who the hell is the child holo? Why did he look like that kid in the beginning? How did my crew survive when we all got blasted together, not even a scratch Garrus? They never left my side! Did some die and some survived? Did everyone die afterwards because all relays destroyed? What planet was at the end? I made the synthetics and organics fight together with each other in harmony against the Reapers, why does this crap kid keep telling me harmony can't happen when it already did? Sum that up with that it didn't matter which Deus Ex Human Revolution.....er Mass Effect 3 choice we made, that the only difference was the color and add in the biggest offender--"buy our shit DLC" message after the credits and we have a garbage ending. There's no doubt in my mind, that if there wasn't a shitstorm by the fans, EA and Bioware would've made DLC as the ending. Dead Space 3 anyone?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By texasgoldrush

@cdragon_88 said:

LOL @ the folks saying the ending was not bad. You better not be talking about the original ending that was released before Bioware bandaged it. I never supported all the crying to Bioware to change the ending but there's no doubt in hell that the original ending was pure garbage. Truth be told, I have never played the new updated ending so the original is all I refer to as canon. Who the hell is the child holo? Why did he look like that kid in the beginning? How did my crew survive when we all got blasted together, not even a scratch Garrus? They never left my side! Did some die and some survived? Did everyone die afterwards because all relays destroyed? What planet was at the end? I made the synthetics and organics fight together with each other in harmony against the Reapers, why does this crap kid keep telling me harmony can't happen when it already did? Sum that up with that it didn't matter which Deus Ex Human Revolution.....er Mass Effect 3 choice we made, that the only difference was the color and add in the biggest offender--"buy our shit DLC" message after the credits and we have a garbage ending. There's no doubt in my mind, that if there wasn't a shitstorm by the fans, EA and Bioware would've made DLC as the ending. Dead Space 3 anyone?

well then play the extended cut. Yes, the original ending was indeed very underdeveloped. The extended cut however fixes almost every objective problem with the ending as well as made the ending vary a lot more. Yes the fanbase pushed successfully for an ending fix, however, the writers also wanted to do it as well. It was not just the fans.

But lets address this.....

" I made the synthetics and organics fight together with each other in harmony against the Reapers, why does this crap kid keep telling me harmony can't happen when it already did?"

No, you didn't. If you are using geth and quarians as proof, do not. In fact, peace didn't even come naturally, Shepard blackmails the quarians with the geth fleet upgrading to force this peace. Also, Tali mentions there is too much bad blood on either side to consider the geth as "friends", and Javik and Ashley are skeptical if the peace will last.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#77  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Nope because i didn't finish the game out of boredom :3

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

Yes, the ending still sucks. The primary reason it sucks is because it was so lazy, wasn't really an ending at all. It was clear the developers couldn't think of a proper ending and so went with the God option instead; y'know, suddenly inject some all-powerful character into the story that can conclude things with a snap of his/her fingers.

An analogy could be a big upcoming MMA fight, say Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva. It's about to begin, you're pumped for it, then Dana White suddenly appears in the center of the Octagon, mumbles some words to Jones who in turn mumbles something back, and Silva falls over unconscious in his corner without a punch or kick thrown. The ref lifts Jones' arm in victory and the credits roll. That is the ending of Mass Effect 3.

And c'mon, what is gearing up to be a galactic-level confrontation ending because of some chit-chat is silly. If that were a viable solution it never would have gotten that far to begin with.

Wow, you just don't get it. That's the problem now with people who bash ME3's ending, they simply put, did not pay attention to the themes of the game or the foreshadowing of the ending (and I am not talking about Leviathan).

The master, the starchild, the Catalyst, was foreshadowed by Vendetta on Thessia before Kai Leng arrives, he does not appear out of nowhere. Shepard even asks "who is the master?". Second, the Catalyst does NOT solve the problem, he does not resolve the story, Shepard does. In fact the Catalyst says this after Shepard asks why he is helping him/her.

"You have altered the variables, the Crucible changed me, created new possibilities, but I can't make them happen, if there is to be a new solution, you must act/choose."

Its the CRUCIBLE, which Shepard and his allies successfully bring, that solves the problem, not a deus ex machina.

So, Shepard does win, however, in a cliché break, you finally meet the main villain AFTER its defeat, which is rare in a story. And in fact, if you want to finish off the Catalyst, pick destroy. However, the theme of ME3 is sacrifice and every choice in the end had a price. Victory is not won without cost.

Nevermind the backstory of the Catalyst completely fits the themes of the series and so does its character. The PROBLEM with the original ending was that it was badly underdeveloped in all forms of the ending. The concept itself was not flawed.

Apparently you weren't paying attention. If you've already beaten them prior to the godchild's appearance then why does refusing to answer his goofy questions result in your forces being destroyed and the Reapers winning? If you choose destroy it shows them simply falling out of the sky as though they've chosen to turn themselves off. If the Crucible is doing that it's a ridiculous amount of power for one machine, a godlike power. Speaking of godlike powers what about the synergy option? Simply answer a question and as though God just snapped his fingers all organic life suddenly becomes partially synthetic. C'mon! Bioware didn't know how to show the allied forces winning in anything approaching a realistic way. Obviously the whole thing got too big for them. So they chose a light switch kind of method which not only stretches credulity but is lame storytelling.

Wow, you are mumbling nonsense. Once again......How is the Catalyst "God"? How is the Crucible "God"? They are not, you weren't paying attention to the story.

On Chronos Station you learn the Citadel amplifies and directs energy throughout the galaxy, and the Crucible is hinted all throughout the game and confirmed by the Catalyst as a power source (for dark energy), nothing more. Control and Destroy involves Shepard interacting with the AI core, and in Synthesis, Shepard him or herself is the trigger. Nevermind the Catalyst is the McGuffin you were looking for the entire game before the twist is that it is the main antagonist. Face facts here, there is no deus ex machina. You just weren't paying attention.

If you refuse, the Catalyst has nothing to go on but the cycle so it continues one more time.

It being mentioned before doesn't change its being retarded at all! An uber-all-powerful-secret weapon conveniently designed by someone else and capable of destroying and/or altering everything in a galaxy in a second is HORRIBLE writing and infinitely lame. That isn't an ending, it's a cop-out.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Krelian-co

lol texasglueeater strike again spamming and telling everyone they are wrong and he's right, did't see that coming xD

The level of stupidity is too high.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

It being mentioned before doesn't change its being retarded at all! An uber-all-powerful-secret weapon conveniently designed by someone else and capable of destroying and/or altering everything in a galaxy in a second is HORRIBLE writing and infinitely lame. That isn't an ending, it's a cop-out.

Wow, once again, failure to understand the story.

The Crucible is not even a weapon, its just an energy generator, a power source. Not only that, it uses the lore that was established in ME1 to even function, which is the Citadel, which we know to direct and amplify this energy and distribute it throughout the galaxy with the relays. The story explains this to you, well before the ending. Nevermind that the Crucible represented cycles upon cycles of resistance which is far from a "cop out" but part of the themes of the narrative, which was present in ME1.

This is the thing about people who hate the ME3 ending, or at least the now current version. They criticize a story that just cannot grasp or refuse to grasp. Its all in the narrative, it proves you wrong.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By texasgoldrush
@Krelian-co said:

lol texasglueeater strike again spamming and telling everyone they are wrong and he's right, did't see that coming xD

And you're not spamming with your moronic opinions? Wow

Face facts here, sci fi is just not for you, it requires actual thinking and paying attention to its stories, something you have shown to have no grasp of. Do yourself a favor, don't watch something like Snowpiercer, its ending will go over your head as well.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

The Crucible is not even a weapon, its just an energy generator, a power source. Not only that, it uses the lore that was established in ME1 to even function, which is the Citadel, which we know to direct and amplify this energy and distribute it throughout the galaxy with the relays. The story explains this to you, well before the ending. Nevermind that the Crucible represented cycles upon cycles of resistance which is far from a "cop out" but part of the themes of the narrative, which was present in ME1.

This is the thing about people who hate the ME3 ending, or at least the now current version. They criticize a story that just cannot grasp or refuse to grasp. Its all in the narrative, it proves you wrong.

You keep saying that I don't comprehend this or that yet no matter how many times you are told something you fail to understand what is being conveyed to you: It doesn't matter to me if the Crucible and/or Catalyst were mentioned or alluded to 153 times in ME1, 298 times in ME2, and possibly 1,076 times in ME3. It's still dumb! Just as it would have been dumb if at the end of Star Wars E4 Luke and the other rebels hadn't blown up the Death Star the honest, ol' fashioned way but instead picked a color and every member of the Galactic Empire were instantly vaporized or all rebel fighters in the galaxy suddenly transformed into cyborgs. Foreshadowed or not, dumb is dumb.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Krelian-co

@texasgoldrush said:
@Krelian-co said:

Face facts here, sci fi is just not for you, it requires actual thinking and paying attention to its stories, something you have shown to have no grasp of. Do yourself a favor, don't watch something like Snowpiercer, its ending will go over your head as well.

It's sad to see someone who is nothing more than an idiot to everyone here arguing and spamming, so delusional and such denial. Well keep trying, as always everyone tells you you are a joke, you are wrong but you will continue to spam nonetheless. xD

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#84 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

@spike6958 said:

For me Mass Effect was about the characters, and to that end the entire third game felt like the "ending", and for me it was great. Scenes like Garrus and Shepard shooting cans on the citadel, watching Mordin enter the elevator and knowing he wouldn't be coming back, saving Wrex's people, saying goodbye to Liara. It felt like a story ended every few minutes and I don't hate on the game because it's got the Reapers ending wrong, I love the game because I got all the others right.

What you talking about. Of couse Mordin wasn't coming back, I shot the bastard! No I didn't save Wrex's people, the cure was a fake, and I shot Wrex after he found out. I did shoot cans with Garrus mind. Wanted to shoot Liara but no option.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#85 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@Evil_Saluki said:

@spike6958 said:

For me Mass Effect was about the characters, and to that end the entire third game felt like the "ending", and for me it was great. Scenes like Garrus and Shepard shooting cans on the citadel, watching Mordin enter the elevator and knowing he wouldn't be coming back, saving Wrex's people, saying goodbye to Liara. It felt like a story ended every few minutes and I don't hate on the game because it's got the Reapers ending wrong, I love the game because I got all the others right.

What you talking about. Of couse Mordin wasn't coming back, I shot the bastard! No I didn't save Wrex's people, the cure was a fake, and I shot Wrex after he found out. I did shoot cans with Garrus mind. Wanted to shoot Liara but no option.

LOL. I've played that route too, but preferred the Paragon route that I took on my original playthrough.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 texasgoldrush

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:
@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Wickerman777 said:

You keep saying that I don't comprehend this or that yet no matter how many times you are told something you fail to understand what is being conveyed to you: It doesn't matter to me if the Crucible and/or Catalyst were mentioned or alluded to 153 times in ME1, 298 times in ME2, and possibly 1,076 times in ME3. It's still dumb! Just as it would have been dumb if at the end of Star Wars E4 Luke and the other rebels hadn't blown up the Death Star the honest, ol' fashioned way but instead picked a color and every member of the Galactic Empire were instantly vaporized or all rebel fighters in the galaxy suddenly transformed into cyborgs. Foreshadowed or not, dumb is dumb.

News Flash!!!!! Mass Effect isn't Star Wars...its MASS EFFECT. They have very different themes and stories, so why does Mass Effect have to be like Star Wars?

@Krelian-co said:

@texasgoldrush said:
@Krelian-co said:

It's sad to see someone who is nothing more than an idiot to everyone here arguing and spamming, so delusional and such denial. Well keep trying, as always everyone tells you you are a joke, you are wrong but you will continue to spam nonetheless. xD

Looks who is the idiot, always factually incorrect and shown to not have a grasp of what he is talking about. That will be you.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Once again, foreshadowing, not only in Leviathan but in the main game as well, once again on Thessia.. You have chosen to ignore this. He is not a last minute magical character, he is the main antagonist of the entire series. Get some knowledge.

Second, THE REASON the Catalyst gives Shepard a choice is because Shepard made its cycle obsolete and no longer feasible by bringing the Crucible, showing that organics are now too resourceful at combating its cycle and thus will end it. In fact, if you refuse to fire the Crucible, the next cycle wins, proving its point that the cycle is no longer effective.

Third, the impact of the final choices impacts the impacts of choices you made all throughout the game and the series in the Extended Cut. that is a fact, not an opinion.

And lastly, you do win because of your efforts and choices. Face facts here, you do not get the Crucible to the Citadel, which required your efforts and choices, you do not win. But you aren't bright enough to even see this.

Everything you wrote is correct except for the bold IMO. The cycle is obsolete because Shepard got as far as he did. However, what Liara states is false. If Shepard refuses any of the three options the Reapers would effectively win. I suppose Bioware wanted to put in a 'refuse' option but it's unrealistic. Even with Liara's beacons, now that the Reapers know of the Crucible they would never allow it to be built in the next cycle. Especially knowing that it requires the Citadel to fire. The humans would be made into a Reaper and every other civilization of significant intelligence terminated. The next cycle wouldn't win, the process would just continue.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

No the ending doesn't really bother me. While I was disappointed, not so much in how my choices mattered but more in how I wanted it to end story-wise. I still thought that it was ok. It didn't negate any of the fun I had playing three amazing games.

That is really the only true response to this. My problems with the ending (apart from choices not having mattered much, if at all) was that the original ending left so many unanswered questions. After the extended cut dlc was released, it was fine. It answered a majority of the questions many people (myself included) had.

I absolutely loved the Indoctrination Theory and wished that the developers had actually gone down that route.

I have been to the dark corners of the internet in which idiocy runs wild and I have read and seen many things that would make a person really lose faith in humanity's future. The indoctrination theory is easily the most mentally challenged thing I have ever had the misfortune to have read. Good thing the extended cut annihilated any chance of credibility.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

DAMN DOUBLE POST!!!!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/669/134/6ba.jpg

jdfan56k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jdfan56k
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

I think it was just mainly the nerdy fanboys that took it to heart. Was it the best ending ever? No. But it shouldn't mean that it's a completely shitty series because of it. I think it was just blown completely out of proportions. Just look at the reviews of the game on Amazon.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By texasgoldrush

@firefox59 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

Everything you wrote is correct except for the bold IMO. The cycle is obsolete because Shepard got as far as he did. However, what Liara states is false. If Shepard refuses any of the three options the Reapers would effectively win. I suppose Bioware wanted to put in a 'refuse' option but it's unrealistic. Even with Liara's beacons, now that the Reapers know of the Crucible they would never allow it to be built in the next cycle. Especially knowing that it requires the Citadel to fire. The humans would be made into a Reaper and every other civilization of significant intelligence terminated. The next cycle wouldn't win, the process would just continue.

Actually, did you see the epilogue? You do get an alternate Stargazer scene, instead of Buzz Aldrin, you get a mother and son in the future where they implied thanks to Shepard and his cycle, they averted a terrible war, so in essence the next cycle does win.

It was a nice touch to end the Refuse ending with hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx28vv2_blI

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:
@Archangel3371 said:

No the ending doesn't really bother me. While I was disappointed, not so much in how my choices mattered but more in how I wanted it to end story-wise. I still thought that it was ok. It didn't negate any of the fun I had playing three amazing games.

That is really the only true response to this. My problems with the ending (apart from choices not having mattered much, if at all) was that the original ending left so many unanswered questions. After the extended cut dlc was released, it was fine. It answered a majority of the questions many people (myself included) had.

I absolutely loved the Indoctrination Theory and wished that the developers had actually gone down that route.

I have been to the dark corners of the internet in which idiocy runs wild and I have read and seen many things that would make a person really lose faith in humanity's future. The indoctrination theory is easily the most mentally challenged thing I have ever had the misfortune to have read. Good thing the extended cut annihilated any chance of credibility.

Well to each their own and all that but that's an incredibly over-hyperbolic thing to say.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Archangel3371 said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Well to each their own and all that but that's an incredibly over-hyperbolic thing to say.

No he is right...much of the fanbase is pure idiocy. They simply do not pay attention to the story, whine about every little thing that doesn't go their way, and make false claims because they are ignorant of the story.

Then they get worse, run a corrupt charity drive, petition government regulators for false advertising, fail to understand that Drew Karpyshyn not only backs the ending, but the fact that he said the ending as close to what he originally planned is completely ignored, use and go by flawed statistical analysis to try and show that people who hate the ending are a majority, and much more. Hell, I blame them for why DAI's narrative is absolutely toothless and stale, with a boring take no risks plot and ending.

For Bioware, they should learn that you have to develop your ending and that details matter, with the EC, they learned that. But for the idiotbase, they need to learn that its not their story and that they need to pay attention to the entire story and judge it on what it is, not what they want it to be.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Archangel3371 said:

No he is right...much of the fanbase is pure idiocy. They simply do not pay attention to the story, whine about every little thing that doesn't go their way, and make false claims because they are ignorant of the story.

Then they get worse, run a corrupt charity drive, petition government regulators for false advertising, fail to understand that Drew Karpyshyn not only backs the ending, but the fact that he said the ending as close to what he originally planned is completely ignored, use and go by flawed statistical analysis to try and show that people who hate the ending are a majority, and much more. Hell, I blame them for why DAI's narrative is absolutely toothless and stale, with a boring take no risks plot and ending.

For Bioware, they should learn that you have to develop your ending and that details matter, with the EC, they learned that. But for the idiotbase, they need to learn that its not their story and that they need to pay attention to the entire story and judge it on what it is, not what they want it to be.

Yeah I'm not for those people who whined and wanted it changed, I didn't have a big problem with the ending myself, I simply thought that the concept of the Indoctrination Theory on it's own was pretty cool and had some clever points to it. Saying that it's the most mentally challenged thing that one has seen on the internet is pretty far out there in hyperbolic territory.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#95 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

While I will give credit to Bioware for attempting to remedy the original ending, there really isn't much that could have been done to it without reworking the entire final mission and probably the entire plot overall. I was fortunate enough to begin playing when the extended cut had already been released, sparing me of the initial anger and disappointment, but I still felt that the trilogy ended on what I would call a whimper instead of a bang. There were things I enjoyed about the ending, and I do think the final cut fixes some issues that I've seen presented in regards to the original ending, but I still feel a bit dissatisfied with the ending overall and feel that it could have been much better

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#96  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I love how you somehow think that your opinion is anything but a opinion and that anyone who doesn't see the light you assume to have seen, is just idiots.

And no he isn´t right one bit. Archangel makes a very good argument and it would have made sense to fit the whole indoctrination story into the me3 and made a much more compelling ending than the crap they called the first ending and even the crap they tried to pull with the extended ending, which was in its own a very bad ending.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

For some reason, I forgot I made this thread to even come back to discuss this. Anyways, I think some of you guys forgot that Bioware had a lot of interviews when ME3 was still in development. Bioware had stated many times that the ending will was goimg to be awesome, we would understand when we played the next Mass Effect game. They also talk about many times that this is Shepard's last game appearance. When they said that, we were all prepared for Shepard's death cause Bioware gave that info away meaning he was gonna die in some way. I'm only saying that Bioware hype this game way to seriously and it look like they ran out of time before discussing on how the ending should be.

That said, I pick the original ending red (before the extended Cut) and I was disappointed but I was less upset that Shepard live and the MP is what kept the game from getting any worst.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Jacanuk said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@crimsonbrute said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I love how you somehow think that your opinion is anything but a opinion and that anyone who doesn't see the light you assume to have seen, is just idiots.

And no he isn´t right one bit. Archangel makes a very good argument and it would have made sense to fit the whole indoctrination story into the me3 and made a much more compelling ending than the crap they called the first ending and even the crap they tried to pull with the extended ending, which was in its own a very bad ending.

Wrong, lets look at this.

If Shepard is indoctrinated, that would not only kill the theme and the conflict with the Illusive Man, but open up some plot holes, like if Shepard was indoctrinated, why does Vendetta not shut down for him like he does Kai Leng? Adding a forceful shoehorned concept that the fans like doesn't mean it will make it better. And what would the point of the conflict with TIM be if Shepard is indoctrinated as well? None.

The thing is, the Indoctrination Theory does not the fit the story.

The current ending fits the trilogy, whether you like it or not. Mass Effect was ALWAYS about the decisions that are made that affect the galaxy and that these decisions affect the destinies of others, meaning there is no free will. Difficult decisions and sacrifices have to be made to achieve goals, but its also how you do them and whether the goals are for good or for ill. That's why the ending choices work, it fits the theme. Mass Effect is not about coming together, or friendship, or overcoming odds, or even organics vs. synthetics. While these themes are present, they are not the MAIN theme. That's what ending bashers either refuse to accept or don't get.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#99  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The ending is crap and the dream sequences are a missed opportunity. I can get by it, though. The rest of the game is great and I enjoyed the multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#100 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I quite enjoyed the endings, especially with the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC. I felt like they all had some way of making you feel vindicated and that not all of your work had gone down the drain. Then again, my favourite ending seems to be the least chosen if forums are to be used as a comparison, so what do I know? =P