Updated: Adding to collections should be possible from gamespaces

This topic is locked from further discussion.

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 0

#1 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Apparently this was changed recently.When I click the Follow button on a game page, it automatically adds to my Followed Games list! And I can't disable it in the preferences anymore.

I just want to add a game to my collection, not "follow" it. I don't need a bunch of games I already own cluttering up my Updates. This is annoying, please let us disable the automatic following of a game in the preferences.

Szeiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Szeiden
Member since 2008 • 355 Posts

Yes please. This is really annoying.

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#3 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I don't know if this is a new "feature" or just a bug... but it's extremely annoying either way :(

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I have the same problem. It's pretty annoying.

jeferodriguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 jeferodriguez
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts

Just had this happen as well and was not a fan.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I support this. Every time I want to add a game I must first follow it, then add it to my collection and then untrack it.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I agree. I mean, I understand why it does that (it does say "follow," after all), but there really isn't much point to adding an old game to our tracked lists when we only want to add them to our collections. That's function's fine for tracking unreleased games, but that's about it. Maybe there should be an option for auto-tracking to only happen under that condition?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I give my support to this as well. I was just trying to help a user and I find I am following these old PS2 games.
TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

Dracula68- Thanks for guiding me to this thread. I'll just repost what I had written earlier, sorry if it is just a rehash of what others have already said.

"Hello. For some reason every time I hit the +add button when going to my have/wish/follow list for a searched game it automatically adds the game I'm looking at to my followed games. Yesterday I looked at about 200 games to add them to my wish list and they all were added to my followed list as well. I had to manually delete them all and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that to stop. It never used to do that until about a week or so ago. Any one know what I can do or is this something glitchy that the GS folks need to fix? Thanks and hope to hear about this soon.

ps I have gone and tried clicking the different options under site options to make this problem go away but it hasn't changed anything."

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Noticed this myself a couple of days ago. Thought maybe I did something wrong, but then I investigated and you people have the same problem, so sign me up.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
I agree. I've disabled this before; that means I don't want to automatically follow games. I just added five games to my collection, and then I had to remove each one from my Following list. This is just annoying.
dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

This has been a minorproblem ever since I became a member, so I support this.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I completely agree with this. I really want back the option for "add game" that I decide to which list I add.

I checked on the options, and as the other users said, you cant disable it.

Please PLEASE fix this.

And thanks Dracula68 for guiding LordAndrew and me to this thread.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rod90

I agree. I mean, I understand why it does that (it does say "follow," after all), but there really isn't much point to adding an old game to our tracked lists when we only want to add them to our collections. That's function's fine for tracking unreleased games, but that's about it. Maybe there should be an option for auto-tracking to only happen under that condition?

c_rake
It says "+ ADD", not "follow".
M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#16 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

It says "+ ADD", not "follow".Rod90

When you search for a game it says "Add", but in the game page it's "Follow". Either way, it automatically adds to your Followed Games list.

By the way, thanks to whoever stickied this thread. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracula68

This has been a minorproblem ever since I became a member, so I support this.

dapman418
Actually the one when you became a member could be stopped by going into options. This one, as far as I can tell, can't be turned off which is a problem in itself.
dapman418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#18 dapman418
Member since 2009 • 14899 Posts

I'm pretty sure I tried doing that, but it didn't work. Could you explain exactly how to do that?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dracula68

I'm pretty sure I tried doing that, but it didn't work. Could you explain exactly how to do that?

dapman418

Yeah sure. Go into options > Site settings---scroll all the way down and make sure nothing is checked next to "Add to My Games Preferences". Remember this won't fix this new problem we are all having.

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

I support this. :)

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

/agree

I hate this. I am also completely mystified as to why the little pop-up window doesn't let the user drive complete control of adding and REMOVING a game from all their lists. When I read a review that reports a game as a POS then I'd like to be able to flick the follow option and just remove it from my Wants List instead of navigating through User Page > Games > Wish List > Scroll > Change Box etc etc.

Anyways, that's a feature FIX request and a feature ENHANCEMENT request all in one if it can be done.

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Just bought 20+ games on ebay dirt cheap and added them to my collection, also added 20 games to my wish list. Took me some time to get my 'following' list correct again. Is this 'automatic follow' thing a bug or did someone actually think this was an enhancement?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#23 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Just bought 20+ games on ebay dirt cheap and added them to my collection, also added 20 games to my wish list. Took me some time to get my 'following' list correct again. Is this 'automatic follow' thing a bug or did someone actually think this was an enhancement?

Stressthesky

I think it was just a case of natural progression. I mean, given that the "Add Game" button was renamed to "Follow" (at least on the gamespace pages, anyway), it only makes sense for it to automatically add a game to the tracked game list when clicked upon. Still, intentions aside, the option to disable that would be nice.

DamnedEyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DamnedEyez
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I can understand that, but at the same time they should have made separate buttons for the add to collection/now playing/etc. At best it's either a bug or really shoddy implementation.
hostX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 hostX9
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

Man this follow button is just a pain!!! Why did they step back and did that, why!!! I don't get it why go back to totalitarianism when we are in democracy, why?! Why can't the user decide what will the follow button do by default like it was before? Man this was really dumb to do this.

I fully support the idea of this thread!

PS: If you GameSpot have to change that button why not to change the option screen to a more user friendly and USEFUL friendly degree. This 1x1 option window is like from the web pages of 1994's

k2natural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 k2natural
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I support this thread. Although I understand the intention I too would like the ability to turn this feature off.

-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts
I support this, it's getting annoying, I just want to add games to my collection not follow them ...
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Man this follow button is just a pain!!! Why did they step back and did that, why!!! I don't get it why go back to totalitarianism when we are in democracy, why?! Why can't the user decide what will the follow button do by default like it was before? hostX9
GameSpot is not and has never been a democracy. The ability to chose something yourself is not the same as democracy.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Is this being fixed? It's so annoying!
hostX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 hostX9
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

[QUOTE="hostX9"]Man this follow button is just a pain!!! Why did they step back and did that, why!!! I don't get it why go back to totalitarianism when we are in democracy, why?! Why can't the user decide what will the follow button do by default like it was before? LordAndrew
GameSpot is not and has never been a democracy. The ability to chose something yourself is not the same as democracy.

I didn't meant it literally that GameSpot was or is democratic! I just gave here a illustration or a comparison, how has GameSpot fallen back with his odd decision of making the follow button unchangeable to users, as it once was.

But let's just stop our conversation here because it's just too off-topic.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rod90
Is this being fixed? It's so annoying!x-2tha-z
Yeah, I hope it's being worked out.
Wolf-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 Wolf-5
Member since 2005 • 1730 Posts

Yes... this is also a huge pain for me. Hope it gets fixed very soon!

VIncolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VIncolo
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts

+1.

This is getting annoying.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Throw my vote into the mix. I would like this feature disabled or an option turn it off

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#35 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

I definitely do not want to automatically follow games. I've just been adding some games to my collection and it is incredibly irritating to be forced to follow and then manually unfollow them all, when some of these games are quite old. I only follow the games I'm looking forward to and want to learn more information about; not older titles which have been around for years.

Plus, I want Raptr to stop making us automatically follow games we happen to be playing.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

Plus, I want Raptr to stop making us automatically follow games we happen to be playing.

gbrading
There is an option for that in your site settings. I don' t know if it works though.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

[QUOTE="gbrading"]

dab198

There is an option for that in your site settings. I don' t know if it works though.

Yep that seemed to work. Cheers dab! :)

stripesonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 stripesonfire
Member since 2010 • 96 Posts

supporting this as well

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Dear god YES...this needs to stop, seriously. At first I thought this was just my dumb luck of not doing something right (settings-wise), but now it's good to know I'm not crazy and that this is a true problem that needs to be addressed.

The recent activity of having to add a bi-weekly 'purging' session for every time I add games to my collection (and then seeing them show up in Follow/Tracking lists) is getting out of hand. Why GS decided to implement such a backwards concept is beyond me--considering the 'old way' was FAR more effective than this (consider you could have at least, back then, be able to deselect tracking a particular game right from the pop-up box that opened after you clicked 'Add Game'--now 'Follow').

Don't get me wrong, I get the gist of the way they 'meant' to do it, but the execution is a complete busted mess; especially when you consider the tedious way you have to go about going ALL THE WAY BACK to your profile THEN to your Games List section just to go about removing the ones you don't want to follow (which as it similarly seems for all us is quite a lot).

Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#40 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
In the past before this "follow" thing there used to be an option to turn "tracking the game automatically when add" in option. But now that option is gone, instead they leave "add the game to wish list, own, playing automatically" for us. But the option that used to be there is now gone. Just what on earth is happening GS!? :(
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
I throw my support behind this also
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I support this. :)

N-REAL

Same here I don't like tracking games that I already own and it is annoying when I add something to my collection I have to click follow then add to my collection then delete it from my tracked list later.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#43 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I would like the site ask you what to do when adding a game, I mean, click "Add" and a pop-up shows the available options, rather than automatically tracking
robjr75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 robjr75
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Yes, please fix this! I've been just lurking for awhile and I decided to log in and update my game lists... maybe be a bit more active here. But this is ridiculous! I'd be here for days unfollowing all these games. My update is now on hold. Come on Gamespot!

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I too support this.
TwarBlackshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TwarBlackshire
Member since 2005 • 726 Posts

It has been quite some time since I posted my concerns with this 'follow' thing. I haven't seen any response from GS here. Is this a dead issue that we won't be getting any response from? Anything?

totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#47 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I'm starting to think this auto-follow thing is an Exciting New Feature that we all should embrace in order to Enhance The Gamespot Experience.

Sorry, I'm currently unable to turn my sarcasm feature off :P

Seriously guys, any word on this? Coupled with the problems some of us are having actually adding games to our other lists at all, the collection tools here are turning into a rather worrisome ball of frustration right now :(

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Agreed. Same for Fuse updates.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I don't really understand why this feature was added... just because I picked up a 5-10 year old game and want to make that fact known in my collections doesn't mean I want to have it on my tracking list. This isn't a feature, it's just annoying. :? Please change it back.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I also support this.