What disc format could the next gen Xbox use?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dr_Drooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dr_Drooom
Member since 2004 • 12640 Posts

Any rumors about it yet?

Could they bring back HD-DVD discs or possibly use Blu-Ray?

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
HD-DVD is dead and will never see the light of day again. No talk about the next gen console. I'm sure it's being developed in some deep dark corner of Microsoft right now, but it won't be a while until we get any kind of info.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Although many people wrongly believe Sony own all the rights to Blu-Ray, the format is owned collectively by several companies... Considering Blu-Ray is quickly becoming standard, I would be surprised if they go with any other format.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

def blu ray next gen for next gen games is def gonna be needed they managed to get away with dvds this gen but anything other then blu ray wont fly for next gen.

WitteKraai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 WitteKraai
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts

It should use the organic brains of recently-dead scientists.

st0kedout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 st0kedout
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
hopefully it wont be blue ray because that will make it much more expensive.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Although many people wrongly believe Sony own all the rights to Blu-Ray, the format is owned collectively by several companies... Considering Blu-Ray is quickly becoming standard, I would be surprised if they go with any other format.spazzx625

Yeah, what's with that...just go look at the BDA. Microsoft has so many potential allies in it.

HP, Dell, Hitachi, Philips and I think they own part of Sun Microsystems....only Apple could pose the most opposition.

Even Sony has to buy OS liscenses from Microsoft, so if Microsoft got denied, Sony would be in one hell of a tight noose for their computer branch:)

Microsoft just needs to work into improving the DVD format they're currently working with and then use Blu-Ray on their next system...unless by then we are overtaken by DLC entirely, which they have been moving toward, but that's unlikely.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HavocV3

And I think Toshiba is joining...considering Microsoft gave them as much backing as they could with HD-DVD, it's in the bag.

NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
I am a huge supporter of Blu ray, and I hope Microsoft implements it in the future... I always laugh when i hear people say "I see no difference between a regular DVD and a Blu ray" I find 90% of the time these people have never even SEEN a blu-ray movie before.
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

most likely bluray. Unless there is a new disk being developed or it all goes digital. But I dont think we are ready yet for all digital

mouz1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mouz1989
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

the next xbox is supposed to be arround 2013, tbh id be surprized if it even had a disk drive the way all this direct to harddrive thing is goin. its happend to the psp why not a home console?

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Although many people wrongly believe Sony own all the rights to Blu-Ray, the format is owned collectively by several companies... Considering Blu-Ray is quickly becoming standard, I would be surprised if they go with any other format.HavocV3

Yeah, what's with that...just go look at the BDA. Microsoft has so many potential allies in it.

HP, Dell, Hitachi, Philips and I think they own part of Sun Microsystems....only Apple could pose the most opposition.

Even Sony has to buy OS liscenses from Microsoft, so if Microsoft got denied, Sony would be in one hell of a tight noose for their computer branch:)

Microsoft just needs to work into improving the DVD format they're currently working with and then use Blu-Ray on their next system...unless by then we are overtaken by DLC entirely, which they have been moving toward, but that's unlikely.

This is what I had been confused about. I don't follow all the info as to who owns the rights to Blu-Ray. I thought it was Sony as well, which is why I was unsure how MS would go about implementing it in a new console. As for a completely digital download medium for consoles, I don't think we're that far off from that, but I don't think we'll see it fully implemented in the next console. Perhaps more of what we see now with the games on demand service that we have on Xbox Live. I think that there will be enough opposition from consumers because of DRM issues and connection speeds, that we'll still have physical disc copies of games.
mouz1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mouz1989
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

true about connection speeds, most people have at least 2mb in there home now because is free with most tv packges. virgin media (if you have heard of them not sure how big a company they are) are testing 200mb cable speeds thats right 200!! i think the best you can get with cable atm is 50mb, and thats ment to be availble next year some time. it wouldnt surprise me if they upgraded the free 2mb speed to 8mb whitch would be enough for downloading games, as long as there were decent servers running at the time. most games on games on demand i think are about 8gb tops so a 500gb HDD would be ok which i think in 2013 would not be to extream to think of

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

blu ray

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

there is already talk of the 360 having a blu-ray drive for movies (only) in the future much like the hd dvd drive add on however for the next gen console we can just speculate. the next console will in my opinion have to have blu-ray simply because they will want to keep movie playing on the console ( although downloading will be the way to go. and the biggest reason is the 360 stuggles to fit its games on a standard dvd pgr 4 famously cut alot off content out and forza 3 is on 2 discs, also how many times do people say campaign way to short and the current disc size is the main problem causing this, im still very suprised that this is not a major topic

wr3ckloose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wr3ckloose
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts

i dont care what they use just as long as the games are fun.

webby1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 webby1
Member since 2004 • 4014 Posts

All games in the future will be like an online unlock code and you stream your games over live (screw ONLive)

But really probably Blu-Ray

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
It will have a Blu ray drive as that is becoming the new standard for disc based storage. I also expect the lowest version to include a substantial harddrive as I think MS will really push digital download as a primary way of buying full games, and want people to go that route rather than buying discs.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Magneto

there is already talk of the 360 having a blu-ray drive for movies (only) in the future much like the hd dvd drive add on however for the next gen console we can just speculate. the next console will in my opinion have to have blu-ray simply because they will want to keep movie playing on the console ( although downloading will be the way to go. and the biggest reason is the 360 stuggles to fit its games on a standard dvd pgr 4 famously cut alot off content out and forza 3 is on 2 discs, also how many times do people say campaign way to short and the current disc size is the main problem causing this, im still very suprised that this is not a major topic

sharkbiscuit79
Steve Ballmer rescinded his statement that a Blu-Ray addon was on its way to the 360. He said that they didn't need it because they are now favoring digital downloads and movie streaming through Netflix. It makes sense from their perspective. They've been pushing ZuneHD and Netflix so much. They also stream video pretty well in the dashboard. They've got the Halo Waypoint channel where they've been streaming episodes of Halo Legends every other week. As for the DVD medium holding back game length, I don't completely buy that. I think that much of that is due to the complexity of development of these games and the tight time tables that they have to deliver. Plus with the success of DLC, more content is easily added at a later time.
H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

most games on a single dual layer dvd comprise of less than 7 gigs of storage

a dual layer dvd has 8.5 gigs of storage space on it

now, im not saying blu-rays are useless in this situation, as i have never seen a blu-ray movie or have a player to play such a movie, so i have not seen their viewing quality, i belive they are overkill

25 gigs on a single layer?

the only game(that i can think of) that POSSIBLY needed that much space is Lost Odyssey...there are only a few other games currently available or that are awaiting release that need multiple discs(Forza 3, Final Fantasy XIII).

if they change formats to blu-ray, games are going to HAVE to have more content, i will guesstimate at least 15-20 gigs of storage needed

this will raise the cost of development, and producing blu-rays isnt cheap(maybe it is, idk)

so i predict that the next gen consoles and games are going to be EXTREMELY expensive, with games costing 70-80 dollars(american)

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

if they change formats to blu-ray, games are going to HAVE to have more content, i will guesstimate at least 15-20 gigs of storage needed

this will raise the cost of development, and producing blu-rays isnt cheap(maybe it is, idk)

so i predict that the next gen consoles and games are going to be EXTREMELY expensive, with games costing 70-80 dollars(american)

H_U_R_D

For one, $70-80 is not EXTREMELY expensive. I guess some people forget that SNES games used to cost a similar amount, and that was a while back, meaning that in today's money, it would be more like $100. Yet people still gladly payed.

And as usual, it wont be that games will have more content. Typically, larger storage space just means space for higher-quality content.

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 H_U_R_D

@seankane: i guess your right, but i dont know how much more quality we can squeeze out of the current engines and the like, i mean every generation gets better, but where is the peak? maybe were at it...i dont really see how it could get better with the hardware we currently have, or even might have in the future, especially keeping it affordable for all, which i dont think will happen

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Who says it'll be Disk Based? Disks are impractical and take up too much realworld space, Downloads are the future with a service such as steam.

Ellimem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ellimem
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

I am a huge supporter of Blu ray, and I hope Microsoft implements it in the future... I always laugh when i hear people say "I see no difference between a regular DVD and a Blu ray" I find 90% of the time these people have never even SEEN a blu-ray movie before.NOD_Grindking

Except we are talking about games, not movies. DVD9s can look equal to Blu Ray. Almost all multiplats look better on the 360 as they were developed on it.

Anyway, I think by then we will be beyond Blu Ray into the next disc based and download based products. It all depends if OnLive works well or not.

Gabe11cap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gabe11cap
Member since 2003 • 1796 Posts

hopefully it wont be blue ray because that will make it much more expensive.st0kedout

By the time the next xbox comes around Blu-ray will be so common it won't be expensive. DVDs were expensive at first, now you can buy a dvd player for peanuts

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I don't think they will do download games. I use download for computer only (full games not DLC). It works fine in some way and suck in many ways.

Not everyone have their system hook up to the internet. I know most do but not everyone. I know some that does not even have the internet. How will they get new games go to a public access?

Disks are so much easier to deal with than downloads you put the disk into the game and play it. Download you need to buy the game wait for hour(s) for it to download and then you need to wait every time you want to play so your system can log into the forced tracking system.

I only have 12 gig hard-drive. If this system is download only then I could be able to get one game on my system and then to change to a different game I paid for I would need to delete my current game and wait to get the new game. Now I just need to change disk which is much easier, faster, and nice.

Say goodbye to game rental (including gamefly) and used game stores like gamestop.

Whatever the disk format or what. I want a thing I can have, and also have the game makers a system that has easy time working with it. They could be they jump drives.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HavocV3

now, im not saying blu-rays are useless in this situation, as i have never seen a blu-ray movie or have a player to play such a movie, so i have not seen their viewing quality, i belive they are overkill

the only game(that i can think of) that POSSIBLY needed that much space is Lost Odyssey...there are only a few other games currently available or that are awaiting release that need multiple discs(Forza 3, Final Fantasy XIII).

H_U_R_D

agreed.

Think DVD is 9.4, but we already have games like GTA 4 putting in 50 hours of gameplay. (~25 just in campaign) on 6.5 gigs.

I think anything Blu-ray is about $10 more in production costs, or it's just movie companies taking advantage of us and not gaming companies.

There is also a blu-ray disc capable of 400 gb, but if we reach games past the 25 Gb (compressed games, pretty sure MGS4 isn't compressed much at all) then we'll be paying 70,80,90 dollars for a game. PS3 games were initially projected at $70 way back in 2005, but I think production costs came down just in time.

Nothing urgent yet, PC has put up with Game Installs for 20 years, we'll be fine for 3.

Ellimem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ellimem
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

[QUOTE="H_U_R_D"]

HavocV3

agreed.

Think DVD is 9.4, but we already have games like GTA 4 putting in 50 hours of gameplay. (~25 just in campaign) on 6.5 gigs.

I think anything Blu-ray is about $10 more in production costs, or it's just movie companies taking advantage of us and not gaming companies.

There is also a blu-ray disc capable of 400 gb, but if we reach games past the 25 Gb (compressed games, pretty sure MGS4 isn't compressed much at all) then we'll be paying 70,80,90 dollars for a game. PS3 games were initially projected at $70 way back in 2005, but I think production costs came down just in time.

Nothing urgent yet, PC has put up with Game Installs for 20 years, we'll be fine for 3.

MGS4 was on a dual layer BR disc. The total size was 48 gigs I think.

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 H_U_R_D

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

[QUOTE="H_U_R_D"]

Ellimem

agreed.

MGS4 was on a dual layer BR disc. The total size was 48 gigs I think.

thats the only game made that will prolly take up that much space for a very long time

and the reason it was so large was in most part due to the cinematics, which if i am correct about half of the so called fourty eight gigs it took up on that disc, which i also find very hard to believe

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HavocV3

Yeah I know MGS 4 was in the upper 40s, but I'm fairly sure plenty of it was uncompressed, to boost the quality as much as possible.

Plus a ton of it was cinematics anyways, don't know how that differs from gameplay in terms of data, but I'd assume that was most likely the uncompressed data, since cutscenes most often look best.

Think Heavenly Sword or whatever it is was 33 gb. Hardly know what it consists of and frankly I can't say I could care;)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
^I doubt Heavenly Sword took that much space. I agree with HURD about the Bluray, to make it the standard would mean developers have to use it otherwise it would be pointless to have, if only like 5% of games use it. I really get the feeling MS will go digital, it just seems like something they would do. [QUOTE="seankane"]

For one, $70-80 is not EXTREMELY expensive. I guess some people forget that SNES games used to cost a similar amount, and that was a while back, meaning that in today's money, it would be more like $100. Yet people still gladly payed.

And as usual, it wont be that games will have more content. Typically, larger storage space just means space for higher-quality content.

Well one not every game cost that much and two, everything else at that time, including the hardware was cheaper. There wasn't 200 music games and 600 cell phones floating all over the place. People these days spend alot more money on tech and entertainment than they did in 93' so even if it is roughly the same price as it was back then the value of the dollar is stretched thinner these days.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

@seankane: i guess your right, but i dont know how much more quality we can squeeze out of the current engines and the like, i mean every generation gets better, but where is the peak? maybe were at it...i dont really see how it could get better with the hardware we currently have, or even might have in the future, especially keeping it affordable for all, which i dont think will happen

H_U_R_D

For right now, no, BluRay is not some miracle media format that instantly means you're gonna get better games. I'm sure many PS3 developers have found it useful, but I doubt anybody is really taking full advantage of it at this point.

But given that we're still several years away from the next generation of consoles, I'd say that there's time for the technology to catch up to take better advantage of the large capacity that a BluRay offers.

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

I'm not interested in BluRay for my x-box.Since they introduced Movie streaming thru Netflix/Zune, it's the only way I want to watch a movie now. I can't go back.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

H_U_R_D
You're mistaken about a few things... When a game comes on a DVD it is almost always compressed to fit in the space given. This is also the same for movies. By simply not compressing things the size of the content increases, so it's not a matter of them needing to fill the space it's just them NOT needing to compress things to fit on a medium. Also, just because the space is there doesn't mean they have to use it :?
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#35 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
If it's not DVD I would think the obvious answer is Blu-Ray.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I would guess blueray. But blueray for gaming really hasn't blown me away. Yes there have been some nice looking games on blueray. But it hasn't had a wow factor for me.

I mean we have seen some great looking games on dvd-9

pakman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pakman3000
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts

Blu Ray for movies. HD-DVD for games and combat piracy of those games.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#38 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Although many people wrongly believe Sony own all the rights to Blu-Ray, the format is owned collectively by several companies...spazzx625
Until I see some patent papers proving so, I find it hard to believe otherwise. Especially considering that the overwhelming majority of those listed in the BDA have no manufacturing capability in the first place. And when you look at the relations between companies in the lists, you can tell many were just added in to pad the list by proxy (like, for example, Apple - they still don't have a BD drive in any of their computers, and yet are only listed by association since they co-own Pixar with Disney). Thus, leads me to believe they're only "in the association" to get a discount on Sony's hefty royalty fees for supporting and being able to work with content on a BluRay disc. Or the fact that so many basically had to throw away their stand-alone players even by Profile 1.1 because a majority of them couldn't physically be updated to understand the new standard, much less with Profile 2.0. And There's already a Profile 3.0 (albeit audio-only), that currently only Sony's own PS3 actually supports.

And I think Toshiba is joining...considering Microsoft gave them as much backing as they could with HD-DVD, it's in the bag.

HavocV3
As I understood it, I think that was part of Sony's benefit in their dealings... since now Toshiba is making the panels or video boards that go into the high-end Sony TV's now. Frankly the situation stinks for Microsoft, because it's a bit like the situation for Universal now that Disney just bought Marvel... well, Universal has a pretty big section of their theme park here based on Marvel. So, it's basically like being forced to pay your enemy for what was rightfully yours in the first place.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

Blu Ray for movies. HD-DVD for games and combat piracy of those games.

pakman3000
Well, I know LG stopped making that optical drive that was able to read both formats, which I am still kicking myself for not getting. :( I was hoping to use that to be able to read/rip all my HD-DVD movies and then turn around to burn them to BluRay (with all the HD-DVD stuff intact as possible ;) ).
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

prolly DVD again, they have found ways to use holographic technology and put 50Gb on a single DVD

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 H_U_R_D

[QUOTE="H_U_R_D"]

spazzx625

You're mistaken about a few things... When a game comes on a DVD it is almost always compressed to fit in the space given. This is also the same for movies. By simply not compressing things the size of the content increases, so it's not a matter of them needing to fill the space it's just them NOT needing to compress things to fit on a medium. Also, just because the space is there doesn't mean they have to use it :?

i know most things are compressed on DVD's i didnt realize i had to point that out

and what is the point of having all that space, and not using it?

most games now take up the majority of a dual layer dvd, but if every sony game is on blu-ray, i doubt they are using all the space on it, especially the multiplatform games

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="NOD_Grindking"]I am a huge supporter of Blu ray, and I hope Microsoft implements it in the future... I always laugh when i hear people say "I see no difference between a regular DVD and a Blu ray" I find 90% of the time these people have never even SEEN a blu-ray movie before.

That quote made my day. My manager at hollywood video said that a few months back, and I thought the same thing. Anyways yeah some of the customers think they can way blu-ray on their dvd players XD
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

haha to spite sony ms is going to go digital distribution only

tapsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tapsoda
Member since 2009 • 66 Posts

Definitely Blu-Ray. Microsoft doesn't have experience creating new data storage formats. Also HD-DVD was there only chance against Sony's BRay.

StudySession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StudySession
Member since 2009 • 1539 Posts

Most likely bluray. They might also have a large digital distribution system of some sort.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
Either blu ray or red ray (i think that's what it's called)
Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

If the next gen is disc based then I will personally go round to each developers house and attack them while they sleep :twisted:

Democratik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Democratik
Member since 2009 • 662 Posts
digital distribution.
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts

[QUOTE="NOD_Grindking"]I am a huge supporter of Blu ray, and I hope Microsoft implements it in the future... I always laugh when i hear people say "I see no difference between a regular DVD and a Blu ray" I find 90% of the time these people have never even SEEN a blu-ray movie before.Ellimem

Except we are talking about games, not movies. DVD9s can look equal to Blu Ray. Almost all multiplats look better on the 360 as they were developed on it.

Anyway, I think by then we will be beyond Blu Ray into the next disc based and download based products. It all depends if OnLive works well or not.

DVD9's cannot look equal to Blu Rays if you are referring to movies....Its just not true at all.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

Blu Ray seems pretty likely.