What disc format could the next gen Xbox use?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stumunro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 stumunro
Member since 2007 • 365 Posts

Either blu ray or red ray (i think that's what it's called)93soccer

"Red ray" was HD DVD

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#52 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

well panisonic and sony are the only ones who make br discs so i think its just gonna be Digital Dist. panisonic will provide nintendo with BR because they are in a great partnership

OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

While the media version of HDDVD is dead, there are some commercial data uses that the format is being used for. So in a way, it still is possible for the 360 to put games on it, but highly unlikely.

king871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 king871
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts

u guys may be surprised but there was a prototype of the new xbox called the xbox phoenix. there was no information of what it did or ne thing like that but i guess they were trying to experiment of what they could next gen . google it im sure u will find something on it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#55 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Personally I would like to see everything go digital, but this won't happen for a large number of reasons. First of all, games will take up more and more space each console gen, so calculating just how big the console's harddrive should be when it is where all of the games are actually stored would be difficult, especially early on. The people that work at all of the companies that help make the discs would be out of jobs. The developers would lose a lot of money because only people with Internet access would have access to games. The amount of bandwidth it would take to download the large files all across the country would be too much, I've been told- apparently our Internet just can't handle it here yet. And let's not forget that if games become more easily accessible we will hear stories about game addicts spending every last dollar of their paycheck on games, and about people spending all of their time playing games, which I am tired of having shoved down the gaming communities' throat. Suffice it to say, right now going all digital in the game industry is a pretty lose-lose situation.

I guess blu-ray would be the assumed choice. It's what movies and tv shows are being put onto now, it has a lot of space, it is the standard. But maybe Microsoft will surprise us and use a cartridge or chip format with no moving parts.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#56 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

[QUOTE="93soccer"]Either blu ray or red ray (i think that's what it's called)stumunro

"Red ray" was HD DVD

Except that HD-DVD also used a blue laser too. In fact, the formats were much more similar than any company from either side were willing to admit to. But at least HD-DVD was able to work with more or less the same type of media as standard DVD, and most DVD pressers wouldn't need drastic changes to make the discs like they do for BluRay.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Yeah TC you wish you could have Blu Ray you wish

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Although many people wrongly believe Sony own all the rights to Blu-Ray, the format is owned collectively by several companies... Considering Blu-Ray is quickly becoming standard, I would be surprised if they go with any other format.DJ_Magneto

Yeah, what's with that...just go look at the BDA. Microsoft has so many potential allies in it.

HP, Dell, Hitachi, Philips and I think they own part of Sun Microsystems....only Apple could pose the most opposition.

Even Sony has to buy OS liscenses from Microsoft, so if Microsoft got denied, Sony would be in one hell of a tight noose for their computer branch:)

Microsoft just needs to work into improving the DVD format they're currently working with and then use Blu-Ray on their next system...unless by then we are overtaken by DLC entirely, which they have been moving toward, but that's unlikely.

This is what I had been confused about. I don't follow all the info as to who owns the rights to Blu-Ray. I thought it was Sony as well, which is why I was unsure how MS would go about implementing it in a new console. As for a completely digital download medium for consoles, I don't think we're that far off from that, but I don't think we'll see it fully implemented in the next console. Perhaps more of what we see now with the games on demand service that we have on Xbox Live. I think that there will be enough opposition from consumers because of DRM issues and connection speeds, that we'll still have physical disc copies of games.

I'd have to agree with all of the above.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I think Digital is much more like than bluray, the fact that MS is already using that games on demand service should be an indication of that. They also could use digital distribution to create a constant hardware upgrade market and knowing MS would probably figure out some way to use it to sell Live accounts lol. But seriously I don't think MS will go with bluray, the digital distribution market has to be really alluring to a company like Microsoft.