Oblivion is one of the best games for this system, BUT buyer beware....

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Hidden-Assassin
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hidden-Assassin
Member since 2006 • 57 Posts

I wasn't going to bother posting, but with the others' posts being potentially misleading for those currently considering a purchase of this 3 year old error-plagued/bug-infested/non-optimized mess of a game, and having now given Bugthesda 3 years to fix their mess (in all that time, they have not lifted a single finger towards resolving any of the many glaring flaws/problems with this game, unfortunately leaving it to the PC gaming community to fix all the problems, and now that they have the easy-to-implement solutions already prepared for them, they still refuse to make the PC fixes that they didn't even have to work on available for the rest of us console users, which is in-excusable/unforgivable at this point) I guess I have to set the record straight.....

The guy saying that you should consider Oblivion and compare it to/as if it were any other game with bugs, is the one clearly smoking something if he thinks it is normal for a game to not only have over 2,000 known problems (many quest-breakers without any work-around on the console versions), but worse than that, nearly all 2,000 are still existant/un-resolved bugs. This is not only in-excusable, in-appropriate, and never heard of b4 as far as game-making companies are concerned, other than when dealing with this company Bugthesda, but also a showing of their clear lack of pride and/or ability to strive toward making a perfect game (even though, more-so than ever before in gaming history, thanks to the PC gaming community doing all of the hard work to fix the 2,000 known problems with said game, a perfect game was and still is possible, in Oblivion).

I have over 3,000 hours invested into the ES series including 1,500 of that into Oblivion alone, and have had to face every one of the known 2,000 bugs at least once in all my time playing (including the unbelievably still-un-resolved/game-breaking A-bomb bug, so I know very well the truths which I speak). I also know a thing or two about programming, and a lot about the business of gaming, having dedicated my entire life thus far (40 years) to both, and know without any doubt, that the above truths about this game should never have been the case.

Nevertheless, if you can find the patience within yourself (as I did, for the most part, 'til now) to overlook the 2,000 (many being major) problems with the game, and the terrible frame-rates due to the worse loading optimization methods ever experienced, and the many times the game will just freeze on you unexpectedly, for no apparent discernable justifyable reason, and the potential to never be able to truly complete everthing the game offers you to do (I did, but it took 3 characters, and going thru a lot of undeserved very- frustrating circumstances along the way), or if you're a sado-masochist, by all means, go out and get this amazing game. Yes, clearly one of the best games I have ever played, and that is saying something since I have 10,000 games under my belt.

Like it or not, everything I've said in my write-up is unfortunately true. As was the title of this topic, yes, this is long overdue, and not much will be done about it at this point. But, to point out once again the reasoning with which it should still be considered relevant..... It is all about the lack of pride in their work that is so evident, concerning the unfinished aspects of this game that could have been so much more. Oh well, I guess enough has been said at this point. Thank you for your replies thus far, all.

Also, a helpful tip for those of you wishing to avoid the worst of the bugs...

And another good reason to disable the auto-saves altogether (as I have done all along) is because it helps to potentially prevent some of what leads up to the A-bomb bug. One of the main suggestions by many who have looked into the causes/etc., is to never overwrite a save, but rather always create new saves as you progress through the game. Unfortunately, leaving any aspect of autosaving on does just that, because at many points (sometimes not even associated with waiting, sleeping, or fast-travelling) the game will autosave mid-quest/etc., thus overwriting the previous autosave. From then on, any intentional/controlled/safe save you make, already has the potential to be carrying the corrupted aspects of the data along with it, which (on the console versions at least) can never be reversed/un-done once it has occurred.

lazy_trash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lazy_trash
Member since 2003 • 115 Posts

A few tips to you from a fellow writer. Less parentheses, abbreviate (especially that terrible 4 line parentheses wonder), and then relax. Maybe not in that order.

I agree with you, in part. First of all, if the bugs were so bad as to make the game a 'buyer beware' issue, why did you invest 1500 (are you serious?) hours into it? Second, telling people this in a multi-paragraph probably-a-thousand-words rant will appeal to... hardcore gamers. Who, if they're actually hardcore gamers, have already played the game (everyone has played this game). And third... and not to piss you off... but dude, swap a few choice words and you've got a drunken rant from a jilted lover about some ex-girlfriend he's still in love with, probably written around 2 in the morning on a friday night.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Another word of advice, posting a wall of text like that rather than getting your point across in a paragraph will cause most people to NOT read it....

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Another word of advice, posting a wall of text like that rather than getting your point across in a paragraph will cause most people to NOT read it....

firefox59
and this is more of a blog thing :P
wastelander898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wastelander898
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Oh wait it was 10 thousand games. lol get real dude.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chaoscougar1
ROFL really? are u serious? what do u do for a living man, because it sounds like u get a lot of time off with all them thousands of hours of gameplay aand your 1500 games? i usually dont comment on stuff like this but this is an exception, i just had to tell u; ur a freackin loser dude. chill out. and oblivion rules.wastelander898
lucky you are here to tell him that :roll:
Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
I have barely ever had problems with Oblivion. There are patches available and they do make a difference. I havn't had a game breaking bug thats really serious. Only thing I can think of is on one of my saves I'm stuck in the Hall of Epochs (something like that) in the final thieves guild quest where you have to fire a certain arrow and something.
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hidden-Assassin

Also, I'm tired of people saying to clear the cache to resolve some issues....

Clearing the cache is an option that may resolve some of the loading/chugging/choppy gameplay/framerate issues that everyone experiences at some (or many) points as they play the game. However, it should not be, because that is considered dirty programming.

They clearly knew there was a problem, and instead of further optimizations, or an actual proper solution, they opt to let us in on their dirty little hidden cache-clearing method. At least in console gaming, until Oblivion came along, that so-called cache-clearing option/process never existed in a game, and should not ever be necessary for us end-users to make use of in this one either.
To say nothing of the fact that the cache clearing process does nothing for the other 1,999 problems with the game. So, if you want to do something constructive with your time here in this forum, then debate that issue.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

firefox59
That's exactly what I did. Haha
jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

I have had only one problem with Oblivion and loading a save fixed that.

ZPRODUCTION23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZPRODUCTION23
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

TES: Oblivion is a must have for RPG likers. I loved Morrowind, than when i found out about Oblivion i was pumped! :D Although it does take a lot of time and patience to play the game, i find it totally worth it! If you like mid-evil/fantasy this is THE best game to go for.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Get it for PC if you have one good enough its looks alot better. + the expantion packs and plugins you can get.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Did you download the patches? I think I had two significant crashes in dozens of hours of playing which is pretty good for a game that long and open.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

firefox59
that is pretty much what i ended up doing.
Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
[QUOTE="Tree06"][QUOTE="firefox59"]

That's exactly what I did. Haha

LOL Me too. :P
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hidden-Assassin

Ok then, I'l let my post speak for itself for anyone in doubt of the time I claimed to put into this game....

I never lie. I don't need to. I was here/playing games since before the time of the Vectrex/Coleco-Vision/Atari800--2600--5200--7800 age of systems. Perhaps my life of 40 years on this earth, never having had a job, never having driven a car, never having had a girl (I have been to stripclubs/experienced some of the nightlife, I'm not a bad looking guy at 6 feet 2 inches little over 200 pounds, and I workout, so.... built somewhat), don't leave my 1/2 million dollar (paid for) home but once every 4+ months, doing nothing but playing video games all that time can seem pathetic to you, but it isn't a lie.

I have also put 3,000 hours into Final Fantasy 11 online. And over 5,000 hours into a little-known online racing game that was available years ago. And 2,000 hours combined into the Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and on and on.... Fighting games' series. Easily another 1,000 into the Need for Speeds over the years. And another 1,000 hours into the rest of the Final Fantasy series. At least 500 hours into Fable. At least 500 hours into the 2 Saints' Row games. At least 1000 hours into the Grand Theft Auto Series. Another 500 hours into the Metal Gear series. Another 1,000 hours easily into all the main Nintendo franchises (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) Same for the main Sega franchises. And that is only the one's I can think of right now as I type this, as I'm sure there are far more.

And that is only partially reflective of the more memorable console gaming time, meaning tens of thousands more hours on PC-based gaming, and perhaps a 1,000 more for Arcade gaming. (far more than that in over 5,000 emulated arcade games I had on PC at some point as well, all of which I legitimately owned in 1 form or another at some point) not accounted for in the above numbers. Having owned every gaming system (and computer equivalents over the years), and having played just about every game in existance, I am a true gaming God in every sense of the term/title, and hardcore beyond the definition of all who have come before me. I've won a number of competitive gaming events, and have high scores in a lot of games over the years as well, but that is no-longer my focus, so a lot of those scores have been toppled by now, I don't even keep up with all of that anymore.

Yes, as I'm getting older, I am losing some of my dexterity and reaction time/reflexes, etc, and am no-longer the gamer I used to be, but I will keep on doing it since it is about all I know/care for in this life. Also, (even with money not being an issue) it is getting harder to keep up with all the latest games, and I am starting to get behind again. This is partly because (and I have every one of the 2,000 movies I have seen in my life rated at my Netflix profile, along with 500 more in my list that I have not yet seen, but intend to) I also try to keep up with the movies as well, so.... . In fact, all of the above doesn't even take into account the 200 (not even opened yet) games I have sitting here now, including great games I can't wait to play like.... Fable 2, Fallout 3, GearsofWar2, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden2, and the latest Call of Dutys. See the profile for g-tag = "Eager Assassin" on Xlive to follow along as I finally get started on these games, or to have proof of just about everything I have accomplished thus far on this system alone. I am also about to buy a PS3 and a Wii, so I have plenty to keep me busy for my last remaining few years I have left to live.

Having said all of that..... The 10,000 number only reflects the games completed from beginning to end, and not every game I've ever played, although it does include many of the older games that don't really have a proper end as well (like, Pac Man for example, but nevertheless I did everything possible to do with those as well).

And yes, I closed all 60 possible to find Oblivion gates as well, still have all 60 of the Sigil Stones. And perhaps I goofed off some of the time as well, doing things like creating amazing spells, potions, enchanted items, but that was all part of the game, so.... ?
And I'm one of very few (if any), that can honestly say "All of my time spent in Oblivion was legit", having never done any duping/cheap money-making/levelling glitches, etc. (I didn't even use fast-travel 'til after my game broke).

I still have the last of my saves for each of my main characters. One is save # 4500, and that was my main 1st Level 48 ? character at the nearly 800-hour point. Another is my main magic-wielding character I created after that (had to do all of Shivering Isles with him, since that add-on wouldn't work with my 1st character after the game killed him), and his last save was around 2500, and says 400 hours. And my newest character, a female warrior (completed Main Quest a 2nd time, and am now working on SIsles and KONine with her again as well), is at about 300 hours.

And all of just that combined only accounts for those 3, not the many messing-around chars. nor all of the reloading saves due to crashes where I had to re-do stuff for hours and hours. Also, I have never even used the alien-like races in the game, so if I chose to, within just the next 3 months (with my 16+ hour a day gaming times) I could easily put another 1500 hours in just doing that.

So, yes.... Perhaps I'm the greatest gamer that ever lived, and that is all I have to show for the whole of my life, but that is fine by me.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
That's just what happens when you make such a huge WRPG. Fallout 3 has many of the same bugs Oblivion has, which makes even more sense considering they both use the same engine. Dragon Age also has quite a few bugs and glitches, some of them similar to Oblivion. It sucks, but games still have a long way to go.
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

The only problem I had with Oblivion was that it was bad. I just couldn't enjoy it as much as other people do/have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
TWO walls of text in ONE topic? The only thing the first one was missing was Billy Mays advertising the second one at no additonal cost. Anyways, I own Oblivion for both PC and 360. It's been out for a ridiculously long time. I think people know its flaws and qualities by now. Video games aren't perfect. Oblivion isn't an exception. The sun comes up in the morning.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
"Oblivion is one of the best games for this system" It's not even in the top 20
RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

10,000! Vegeta would be floored

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hidden-Assassin

For those that suggest to buy a powerful PC and the PC version of this game.... I shouldn't have to, they should fix the one we have. Microsoft is also to blame unfortunately, as they failed to properly/fully quality-assure this product. Also, since I hear they are the ones that prevented us from having access to the construction set on the console versions, thanks alot MS.... I am not surprised. Oh well, I'll soon be moving on to another game. (I had another wall all prepared and ready to go, danmit, where did I put it?)

DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

firefox59

I'm not gonna lie...I read about half of the first paragraph then my short attention span kicked in and I started daydreaming about midgets and pots of gold

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts

firefox59
Lol, yeah, when I saw that huge post I just scrolled down without reading a word...
Sandrinoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sandrinoo
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

I honestly think you shouldn't have to spend so much time ranting on a game. Theres not much that they can fix now. They're already working on new games. They arn't worried about whats wrong with the First game that they made. I really think that you should like it the way it is. Stop ranting. Most of the things you said arn't even possible. Just chill out. The sun will still come up in the morning regardless whether or not they fix the damn game or not.

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hidden-Assassin

Let me just ask you this then... How on earth can you reply to a topic without knowing what it is all about by reading it? That is the dumbest thing I have seen in a while. You guys will never make it in college doing that. Actually read my topic, and you just might learn something. Good luck.

buddy90909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 buddy90909
Member since 2005 • 861 Posts
... coming from the person who just said all he has done in his life is play video games, yes, college does sounds like your area of expertise.
roleplayer2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#29 roleplayer2004
Member since 2004 • 921 Posts

A few tips to you from a fellow writer. Less parentheses, abbreviate (especially that terrible 4 line parentheses wonder), and then relax. Maybe not in that order.

I agree with you, in part. First of all, if the bugs were so bad as to make the game a 'buyer beware' issue, why did you invest 1500 (are you serious?) hours into it? Second, telling people this in a multi-paragraph probably-a-thousand-words rant will appeal to... hardcore gamers. Who, if they're actually hardcore gamers, have already played the game (everyone has played this game). And third... and not to piss you off... but dude, swap a few choice words and you've got a drunken rant from a jilted lover about some ex-girlfriend he's still in love with, probably written around 2 in the morning on a friday night.

lazy_trash
If you think the bugs are bad, holy hell wait until you play Fallout 3! Sometimes the game crashes every 5 minutes. Seriously though you seem a bit too irrational and a bit too critical. The fact is PC games such as Oblivion will always have issues since the game is so big so stfu and enjoy the game for what it is.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Redline"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

I'm not gonna lie...I read about half of the first paragraph then my short attention span kicked in and I started daydreaming about midgets and pots of gold

Haha, they're after me lucky charms!
Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

10,000! Vegeta would be floored

RadioGooGoo

ROFLMAO!

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hidden-Assassin

Thanks for the first well-thought-out post in my topic thus far (sarcasm), and from what I've heard on a number of boards across the internet that I've posted on.... I'm going to face a lot of the same problems (but, perhaps to a lesser extent) when I play Fallout 3 as well. Now I'm really looking forward to that game... Not. Thanks Bugthesda, for ruining a game experience for me before I even start the game. Gaming isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.

Pitbulllova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Pitbulllova
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts
i ddint read what you said, but my oblivion game got glitched at fity hours... so i hate it! fallout 3 is the best!:D
cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
1,500 hours... that's about 9 weeks for those counting. 9 weeks devoted exclusively to Oblivion? Wow... wow..... wow....
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hidden-Assassin

And about posting picture-proof of my saves.... Hmmm, that would actually be easy for me since I have a working cam and it does video too. So, how do you want it? Video or picture. Where should I post it the quickest/easiest? The only difficulty will be taking the saves from at least 3 different memory cards I have, and putting them all on my hard-drive again so that they will all be visible at once. On second thought.... Not worth my time. I already know all I've typed here is true, and I don't have to prove anything, because I could care less who believes it all or not. As I said before, I'm about to retire this game for good, and move on....

And about your proof of close to 2,000 known bugs in this game, that are now (PC version, but thanks to PC gamers, not Bugthesda) fixed in a PC only patch...

2 places I can point you to for that info. ....

1. Either earlier in this very topic, or its' much more active version on the Main Xbox 360 board here at G-faqs, another user posted a site w/ a list (but I doubt all 2,000 are listed, but perhaps they are, as he said have fun counting them all), so check that out for your proof.

2. At the uesp wiki for Oblivion (just google the words "Oblivion" "Wiki" and "100", and it is the first link that comes up), go to the patches and mods section, then to the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, there should be a list there, either as a revision-history-faq that comes with the patch itself, or a link to the site the patch originated from. If I have the time later (and care to do it) I'll look up the links myself and post them here. Whatever.

And... Here is another resource everyone still playing this game should read/contribute to at Bugthesdas' own site forums, where there is an on-going discussion between several-thousand people that still have no solution (for console users) to the main game-breaking glitch, that broke my game...

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=dbe040657af94165f9949dbcb3d3b082&showtopic=813915

I'm sure if I dig a bit, I can find far more info. on this, but for now, you're welcome.

And... To have an idea of what I look like....

I'm almost spitting image of The Undertaker, you know, that wrestler. No lie, I'm danm scary looking, especially when I don my sunglasses and scully.

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hidden-Assassin

Actually, strike that.... In all reality, I recently cut the long hair, and I have a fuller beard than he does in that picture.... So now, I'm a closer match to Jack Black, Johnny Depp, and Steven Seagal.

Listen here,.... The whole point of this topic, is that, if there were ever an opportunity for an impressive game like Oblivion, of this scope and scale, to be perfect, this was that opportunity. Bethesda, at this point, has absolutely zero excuses now to leave the game like this, since the PC users have done all the hard work for them, and they could easily create a stable patch for us console users using what they now know thanks to the pc users patch. No excuse. Already tested by 10's of thousands. Already has all the kinks worked out. If I worked as a programmer for them, I would have too much pride to allow the console gamers to continue to be subjected to all the remaining problems in the game, when in fact, the solution already exists, and could easily be made available to the rest of my loyal supporters/etc.

I have not kept up with the PC gaming as of late, but I'll have to look into this Gothic 3 (don't even remember there being a 3rd one in that series, but, like I said, a bit behind). Other than the new Games for Windows that bring the achvs. over from the X360 to the PC gaming, I really thought PC gaming would be entirely dead by now. The only strong points with PC gaming anymore (unless you see all of the configuring/optimizing/etc. as a plus) are the modding communities, realistic Flight Sims (used to be), and some of the more popular MMO's, so now I don't even have a gaming-worthy PC anymore, and I don't miss it.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chaoscougar1
so whats the point of this topic? :P
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hidden-Assassin

I'm not the only one wishing for that man....

you deserve a reply.... At least as far as "How could I have ever legitimately owned (and I already said in 1 form or another, there are 10,000 available,and not just mame, I've only owned/made use of 5,000, not counting all the b-legs/etc., and perhaps a slight exaggeration on that one total, but it is the most irrelevant of all the figures I gave anyways) 5,000 Arc. games....
And here is your answer sir.... I consider any game I have ever bought for any version to be legit. owning every version, so....

If I owned (bought and paid for) the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2, then (even though in this scenario, I actually bought several different systems' versions of that one game, and also accurately didn't include duplicates like that in the 10,000 played and completed total, which is fairly accurate) the Genesis version as well, every version of MK2 in all its' forms thereafter was legitimately mine to do with as I saw fit, therefore the Arc. version going around in rom form on the net years ago, had been bought/paid for several times over in the case of that, and many other games. Does that answer your ??? sir. ?

And to those that keep pointing out that they have seen my posts on this elsewhere on the net...must you keep pointing that out guys. I was in the middle of my nice reply to you that you now see posted when you typed that. So un-necessary, and you can remove it now to save face. But, since that aspect of things seems to be your focus.... If you do your homework you'll find that, also under the name Hidden Assassin (some = Hidden-Assassin), my similar topic is also thriving at....

Ign forums under X360 main section, G-spot forums under same, and here as you already pointed out, in 2 completely different boards, X360/Oblivion and the main X360 board, along with many other boards across the net that I am a long time member of.... Including the main Oblivion section at Bethesdas' own official boards (But now all you can find there is this..... Account Temporarilly Suspended until May 1st, 2037 - ha ha. I'll be dead in 4 years - LOL -- love their damage control, that was un-necessarrilly fast and harsh), and they removed every bit of my writings to shut me up, and then finally also at the main Oblivion board for Microsoft Xlive, but that is the only one you won't find under Hidden Assassin, but rather my Gtag, which I'm not typing here again.

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hidden-Assassin

Sorry for the additional post... but...

Other than that, 2 important things all the readers of my topics should know...

1. I'm certainly not a pirate, nor do I condone any such behavior. In fact I'm the perfect example for the extreme opposite, since I am probably the biggest individual supporter of the industry, having spent every penny (around 100,000 dollars to date, including over 4,000 dollars worth of Xlive DLC purchases in the last few years alone) I've had available to me my whole life on this hobby/lifestyle/legitimate store-purchased games/hardware.

2. I'm going to do my best to lock all of my topics at midnight of the final day of this year, so if you have anything to add before that time, speak now or forever hold your peace. Laterz.

BL4CKV4LOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BL4CKV4LOR
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
For those who didn't read Hidden Assassin's posts, here are the highlights:

At least 500 hours into the 2 Saints' Row games.

Hidden-Assassin
According to his gamertag profile which is up for public view (http://profile.mygamercard.net/Eager%20Assassin), he has only about 750/1250 achieves for both of these games. 500 hours? Doing what? I lol'd.

a 1,000 more for Arcade gaming.

Hidden-Assassin
I have nothing to say.

having played just about every game in existance, I am a true gaming God in every sense of the term/title, and hardcore beyond the definition of all who have come before me.

Hidden-Assassin
I lol'd.
BL4CKV4LOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BL4CKV4LOR
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

Hmmm, that would actually be easy for me since I have a working cam and it does video too.

Hidden-Assassin
ur so leet

The only difficulty will be taking the saves from at least 3 different memory cards I have

Hidden-Assassin
Nobody owns 3 memory cards so this is automatically false. Oh lol.

So, yes.... Perhaps I'm the greatest gamer that ever lived, and that is all I have to show for the whole of my life, but that is fine by me.

Hidden-Assassin
Yeah. Same. So hey man, posting on the Gamespot forums isn't going to ignite an intelligent conversation/discussion about anything. Not that everyone here is retarded, just nobody cares. Especially when you're bashing a game that everyone who replied really enjoyed and was able to enjoy without any major bugs or life-altering, rant-engaging uber bugs that ruined their life. Boasting about your 10,000+ hours of gaming online does't boost your e-cred. Next time just post a link to your gamertag achievements so everyone can see your mighty status. Nobody cares that you've wasted a stupid amount of money on turd XBLA games, only to play them for an hour and move on to the next one. Nobody cares about your money either. Bye.
Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hidden-Assassin

I thought of 2 more things that really seemed lacking all thru Oblivion, perhaps already mentioned ?, but I don't care, saying it again here in case not yet said....

They both pertain to the mapping aspect. Morrowind had a far better map that was both in color, and filled in, getting even more colorful/prettier/more accurately descriptive of the terrain as you filled it in. Oblivion lost that altogether. I never cared/had to really make much use of its' zoomed in map mode. It was useless other than for finding an exact location of a door, and maybe in some Oblivion Gate Worlds.

The other one is.... Being able to zoom in on the main overworld map. It was dumb enough that they were not using the whole screen for it which meant a lot of un-desirable extra un-necessary scrolling around the map (and it would have shown a lot more area on the full screen view, plus it would have fit my huge HD widescreen tv perfectly, as it was already perfect aspect ratio for that, so why didn't they allow that?), but even dumber without any option for zooming/scaling in/out at will.

(Even with it installed on my H-drive) On my latest playthru the game chugged horribly when I went anywhere near the Skingrad area, due to the fact that 10 O-gates decided to open up in the immediate vicinity, and the game was going nuts trying to determine when to transition to the red-skies-effects/etc over and over. However, in answer to your question.... Since I closed all 60 gates in my 1st playthru, it was not an issue that time. But with the above-mentioned 10-close-together gates, it certainly had the potential to become a problem. However, I read somewhere that if you make the Allies for Bruma your active quest, after switching it from a different active quest, that it will then point you to the right gate, so as long as you have talked to the count of that city first. Anyone else care to add anything to that ?

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hidden-Assassin

And to BlackValor or whatever.... You've got something all twisted man. It isn't 10,000 hours, but rather games. I put in far more than 10,000 hours in just the last 2 years, and on just this system. I can't even begin to put a total on the number of hours of gaming overall - LOL.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

And to BlackValor or whatever.... You've got something all twisted man. It isn't 10,000 hours, but rather games. I put in far more than 10,000 hours in just the last 2 years, and on just this system. I can't even begin to put a total on the number of hours of gaming overall - LOL.

Hidden-Assassin

You can't put your exaggerated numbers together because they don't exist. Even if you had 0 social life, no job and did nothing but play games, eat and sleep you can't play "far more then 1000 hours" in 2 years.

acer_062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 acer_062
Member since 2005 • 434 Posts

Any chance of someone summarizing this post. I feel asleep after the first 200 words ....:cry:

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hidden-Assassin

And what is this about people criticizing/suggesting that.... If you are not playing a game constructively/productively and actually accomplishing things towards progressing thru the game to finish with it as fast as you can, or going for all of the achvs. (or using that as a way to judge number of hours that should count as played time), any otherwise, then you are just wasting the other 100's of hours that were spent doing the more mundane (un-important, and not the primary focus of the purpose of the game, at least towards progression) things like....

Exploring, experimenting with different things like spells, potions, enchanted items/etc., and collecting sets of armor/organizing /transporting items from house to house, collections /etc. For example, (I have several examples now of this just here in my topics alone, but this 1 will be sufficient in explaining what I'm getting at) My G-score and Achvs. right now is a fairly impressive = maintaining 60-some percent of all done, at nearly 80,000 (including 155 Xlive arcade games thus far of the nearly 300 available, so still over 1/2 of those owned) (much more if other accounts added) score, and around 3,600 achvs. done. (which I know is nothing compared to some people being over the 200,000 mark now) (but is it all legit like mine ?, most likely not, since I don't boost at all, since I barely play the multiplayer aspect of games, but I wouldn't boost anyways even if that were the case, for what doth an achv. mean if you didn't earn it)

(and 40,000 of my 80K was all in the 1st year, had I kept up that pace, and stuck with only my main account, I would also be fast-approaching 200,000, perhaps far more than that since the 40K in the first year includes 6 months where I only got 1000 score playing nothing but Oblivion and Final Fantasy XI all that time) Even though all of that info. might indicate that I not only know a lot about the achvs./etc., and may have once focused more on those, -- I don't care about that aspect of gaming on this system near as much anymore, so my current increasing numbers aren't any longer indicative of such.

So my example is Saints Row 1 n 2. The guy says something like... "If you claim to have played 500 hours between those 2 games, why do you only have 750 score from each, or somesuch, so now you can see where I'm going with this. What the heIl difference does that make? Between those 2 games (the same can be said and applied to many others as well), the 500 hours I spent was doing what I wanted to do with the games at the time, and (like it or not) my focus was more on gaining enjoyment from the games (extracurricular activities/messing around/exploring/etc.), and not the score from the few achvs. that I could have (not should have) been spending that time working towards instead. What is wrong with gamers these days? I actually find anymore, that Achvs. force you to play games in ways you don't want to, and take away from the fun (doing what you want to do) as a result. Whatever.

Liam_Cardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Liam_Cardy
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

I understand what you mean, if youve payed for a game, you should get it as you, and everyone else would expect it, i put just over 400 hours into oblivion on xbox, no-where near as much as you, but i experienced a lot of the glitches you mentioned, as you said its been a few years, i dont think that they are going to fix them, if they were, it would be done already.

But thanks for warning people who are new to these type of games and want to try oblivion.

Edit: Indeed i agree its a good game and everybody who has chance to buy it should, forgot to put that in, thanks for answering back :D

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hidden-Assassin

Even right now, where I'm not playing the 16 hours a day and getting old, I'm getting about 100 hours of gaming in a week. So... Even considering your post is wrong, it isn't 1000 hours it's 10,000 hours... But that would still mean I can do 1,000 hours every 10 weeks, of which that can happen over 5 times a year, which = over 10,000 hours in 2 years even when I'm doing other things, with about 6-7 hours of sleep a day on average, and I eat very little and never go anywhere as mentioned in 1 of my earlier posts, so it is more than possible man, I just did the math for you.

Hidden-Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hidden-Assassin

Thank you for your post Liam. Very true, but Oblivion, despite all of the problems one potentially faces as they play it, is still a must-play for anyone that likes open RPG's such as this. Without any doubt, still worth the time to at least experience the 1st 100 hours of it.