NEW Xbox 360 with BluRay - this year will be cheaper than current Elite price!!!

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

So I'm curious how many of you will be trading in your current 360 to get one with BluRay when/if this actually happens?

This is coming from rumor control at Kotaku but allegedly from their source there will be a formal announcement tomorrow.

Personally I would trade in my Elite and upgrade - I would love to have BluRay in the 360. :)

Here's a link to the article:

http://kotaku.com/5014349/rumor-microsoft-to-announce-blu+ray-xbox-on-monday

We will see tomorrow for sure I guess.

:)

PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
we will see because my 360 is kinda limited edition so I would feel weird trading it in but maybe I dont know depends on if I truly want Blu-Ray
Tw1sXbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tw1sXbox
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I know that the HD technology is now kind of on the way out. But if this is true and actually happens, does it not just seem like an attempt to keep up with the PS3?

And if it's basically an Elite with added Blu Ray then i would probably consider the trade in (Also wondering if all the current games would be able to work with the Blu Ray Drive?).

stephen_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stephen_360
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts
well i hope there will be an external drive for current owners to add the their 360s. otherwise with microsoft adding all these extra consoles theres going to be a lode of preowned 360s in the shops
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I'd buy it.
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
I'll probably already have a BluRay player by Christmas.
Gytex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gytex
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts
Nah, my 360 has been good to me.:D I am planning to buy the PS3 soon anyway. If this is true, they should also do a price cut.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
id sell my 360 and upgrade my computer between RROD,XBL,Buying games, and now this im sick of microsoft sucking up my cash
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
Another Xbox 360 With a Blu-Ray Drive. Unless they can make it cheaper than Sony's Third Console. There is no point.
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i don't have an HDTV, i'm perfectly fine with regular DVDs and whatnot, and I'm not going to trade my 360 in and "upgrade". i'm good, here.
tennisacerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 tennisacerg
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

we will see because my 360 is kinda limited edition so I would feel weird trading it in but maybe I dont know depends on if I truly want Blu-RayPacBoy23

how is it "kinda" limited edition?

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DataDream

[QUOTE="PacBoy23"]we will see because my 360 is kinda limited edition so I would feel weird trading it in but maybe I dont know depends on if I truly want Blu-Raytennisacerg

I'm thinkin he has the Halo or Simpsons console. Probably the Simpsons one because the Halo one IS an LE while the Simpsons one is "kinda" an LE! LOL - just playin for any of you Simpsons console owners - they're cool (if you like YELLOW). :P

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
no because I already have a ps3 and I don't even use it for blue ray movies
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
Well if this is actually true, then MS has no plans of moving to the next generation anytime soon.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
As long as it's integrated, and strictly for Movies I'm on board. I would love to have Blu Ray in two rooms in my house.
tennisacerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tennisacerg
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
[QUOTE="tennisacerg"]

[QUOTE="PacBoy23"]we will see because my 360 is kinda limited edition so I would feel weird trading it in but maybe I dont know depends on if I truly want Blu-RayDataDream

I'm thinkin he has the Halo or Simpsons console. Probably the Simpsons one because the Halo one IS an LE while the Simpsons one is "kinda" an LE! LOL - just playin for any of you Simpsons console owners - they're cool (if you like YELLOW). :P

Maybe he means the Halo one, cuz there is no way you can trade-in a Simpsons one; you would have to be dumb to trade it in; sell it on eBay

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

Its not true. I wouldnt doubt that the next xbox will use blu-ray, but they wont waste time with a blu-ray driven 360 this generation i dont think. Too many reasons why NOT to make it, and no good reasons why they should. I like how the article starts.....

"We have no confirmation or sourcing of our own on this,"

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DataDream

Its not true. I wouldnt doubt that the next xbox will use blu-ray, but they wont waste time with a blu-ray driven 360 this generation i dont think. Too many reasons why NOT to make it, and no good reasons why they should. I like how the article starts.....

DZBricktop

Yes and no - and here's why I say that...

according to many industry analysts when the next Xbox comes out MS will not discontinue the 360. They will support 2 platforms simultaneously just like SONY is doing now. If that is in fact true (which it is only speculation at this point) then it would make sense to have BluRay in the 360 as well as the next Gen console. MS has said for the last year that if HD-DVD lost then they would consider doing a BluRAY add on drive. Hopefully they will make that an option as well as new consoles - so that people who are already owners can just add it on.

And while I know there is no conformation of this (hence "rumor control") according to their source MS is going to formally announce tomorrow to upstage Apple - so at lease we won't have very long to wait to find out if this in fact is going to happen. :)

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts

Well if this is actually true, then MS has no plans of moving to the next generation anytime soon. martialbullet

Why would you conclude that? Microsoft LOVE to constantly bombard the market with new hardware. They're a business, after all. Adding Blu-Ray support would have nothing to do with increasing longevity of the 360. It's about making £'s from people willing to purchase it.

Plus, I don't see how it could be built in, therefore a new 360?...No. A new add-on unit, you mean TC.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts
Nah, I have a PS3, so I won't need to buy another.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Well if this is actually true, then MS has no plans of moving to the next generation anytime soon. martialbullet

Shane Kim said they hope to support the 360 for 7 years. So 2011-2012 sounds likely.

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]

DataDream

Yes and no - and here's why I say that...

according to many industry analysts when the next Xbox comes out MS will not discontinue the 360. They will support 2 platforms simultaneously just like SONY is doing now. If that is in fact true (which it is only speculation at this point) then it would make sense to have BluRay in the 360 as well as the next Gen console. MS has said for the last year that if HD-DVD lost then they would consider doing a BluRAY add on drive. Hopefully they will make that an option as well as new consoles - so that people who are already owners can just add it on.

And while I know there is no conformation of this (hence "rumor control") according to their source MS is going to formally announce tomorrow to upstage Apple - so at lease we won't have very long to wait to find out if this in fact is going to happen. :)

Well a Blu-Ray add-on is possible. But by saying that itll cost less than an Elite leads me to believe that theyre saying its a 360 with built-in Blu-Ray, which i dont think will happen, ever. I am interested to see what MS has up its sleeve, but i highly doubt its a 360 with built-in Blu-Ray. Like always, itll be something completely off the tracks. Remember, the Zune was a supposed hand-held Xbox.

Vadoc81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Vadoc81
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts
Mabay the 720 will have it built in...
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
if its true it will only be for movies, and no i will not. i can't see why sony will let microsoft have it.
the_jester_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_jester_guy
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
i would rather get a ps3 if i was getting it for the blue ray
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DataDream

if its true it will only be for movies, and no i will not. i can't see why sony will let microsoft have it.shadowkiller11

Um because SONY would stand to make a BOAT LOAD of money by licensing the technology to them.

As far as it only being for movies - you don't know that at all. That's just like saying no 360 games would ever require a HD which is not true as well. In fact Conan (among a couple older games) does require a HD.

So I'm not arguing with you as no one knows - but to make a definite statement like MS would never do something - is not very wise. Seems like everytime someone says MS will never do something - they turn around and do it.

It is very possible that BluRay may be used by MS for games. It's hard to say either way.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

And what does this Blu-Ray drive do for gaming on the Xbox 360? Nothing. Microsoft just can't live with the fact that the PS3 is the best and cheapest Blu-Ray player available. However, the PS3 actually utilizes the Blu-Ray drive for it's games too. If Microsoft were going to start this, you'd have a lot of angry people to deal with.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't think so. i barely watch movies and i don't have a hd tv yet so there is no point in me getting a blue ray player.
edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

And what does this Blu-Ray drive do for gaming on the Xbox 360? Nothing. Microsoft just can't live with the fact that the PS3 is the best and cheapest Blu-Ray player available. However, the PS3 actually utilizes the Blu-Ray drive for it's games too. If Microsoft were going to start this too, you'd have a lot of angry people to deal with.

Lanezy
I agree. If they go ahead with this, it'll most likely be an add on drive. And it'll only be used for movies and not games. And I also agree that if they made a new 360 with a built in blu-ray drive you'd have a lot of angry people that were early adopters of the 360. It just seems to far fetched. Add on drive yeah, it's a possibility. Built in drive, highly unlikely. I know I'd be pretty ticked off if it was built in.
ziggy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ziggy87
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts
nope i have a ps3
MattTheGiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MattTheGiant
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

The problem is that no games will be released on Bluray as it is not only financially unjustified for the Publishers as only a select group of gamers will have the system, but it also leaves out certain gamers who only have the DVD version of the console. This is the main reason why the HD-DVD add on did not support games, not because the HD-DVD movie industry was going down the pan (the decision not to release games on HD-DVD was decided before the format wars even began), but because people would be left out.

The main reason games consoles exist is so that the mass market can use an accessible product that is easy to set up and play, quite unlike its PC cousin. However, if Microsoft were to complicate things and start making games on HD-DVD then the technically clueless and maybe even the average consumer may become confused whether certain games will work on their system or not, which makes the procut unnatractive. This would have given Sony an upper hand. You may say nay to this but if you get started on Phsycology then this is a very real situation I have portrayed.

It is easy to be naive and say, well hey, we are going to get Bluray games as the 360 is getting Bluray functionality, however, that is not the case.

The ONLY way Microsoft could POSSIBLY combat this is to produce Bluray add-ons that cost absolutely NOTHING, so the technically clueless and the mass market will buy them just so they know they have it. They are not going to buy it if they are not sure whether they need it and it costs $150. They will take one free of charge though and this will let everyone play all the games they want. When they go to buy a game they can pick up a free Bluray add on.

HOWEVER

If Microsoft do this people will be buying masses of them to sell, meaning Microsoft will make massive losses, making this possibility financially unjust, and so it isn't going to happen.

Sorry folks, but that's how it is...

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Nope, I have a 360 without the HD attachment and my PS3 has a Blu-ray player, so I'm set.
Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts
Well obviously they wouldn't be able to use the Blu Ray player for game content. So I can't see really wanting one. Fairly soon all media is going to go the way of digital downloads and tangible media products like discs are going to be old technology. Why waste all the money on packaging and distribution when you can just upload it to a server and charge per download? Everything is already available via P2P on the web, they're gonna want to start capitilizing now before it's too late.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts

And what does this Blu-Ray drive do for gaming on the Xbox 360? Nothing. Microsoft just can't live with the fact that the PS3 is the best and cheapest Blu-Ray player available. However, the PS3 actually utilizes the Blu-Ray drive for it's games too. If Microsoft were going to start this, you'd have a lot of angry people to deal with.

Lanezy

I like the fact that PS3 utilizes the Blu-Ray drive for it's games. I'm assuming you have a PS3 or know someone that owns one. In my opinion, the sound within the games is top notch - better than the 360. Most of my library consists of 360 game though since I've owned it a year longer than my PS3.

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

As far as it only being for movies - you don't know that at all. That's just like saying no 360 games would ever require a HD which is not true as well. In fact Conan (among a couple older games) does require a HD.

DataDream

That's not a very good comparison/analogy. The Xbox hard drive could be purchased seperately at a later date (for core console owners). However, a Blue Ray Xbox would require a brand new purchase for much more money. Do you really think a game developer would want to lose out on the already established 360 console user base by making games reliant on a Blu Ray drive 360?

Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
Truthfully, since buying my PS3, I've been watching all my movies on it, as the DVD player side of it scales up the pic and I can listen to 5.1 dolby surround sound as well. Buying a new Xbox just for the Bluray player seems rather pointless if you already own the PS3 which has a damn good bluray player anyway.
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowkiller11"]if its true it will only be for movies, and no i will not. i can't see why sony will let microsoft have it.DataDream

Um because SONY would stand to make a BOAT LOAD of money by licensing the technology to them.

So I'm not arguing with you as no one knows - but to make a definite statement like MS would never do something - is not very wise. Seems like everytime someone says MS will never do something - they turn around and do it.

It is very possible that BluRay may be used by MS for games. It's hard to say either way.

1. Sony do not own/have exclusive rights (or whatever you want to call it) to Blu-Ray technology.
2. The Blu-Ray add-on will be for MOVIES ONLY.

The HDD argument doesn't hold true. I know of 1 game, excl. what you mentioned that requires a HDD. We're talking about less than a handful of games here.

The Xbox 360 base system allowing storage space expansion is expected of the user, whether that be Memory Unit or HDD. No single user is expected to own the console and not have some form of storage device attached. It's basically part of the system specs and the Core system was designed for someone who didn't need to take advantage of a HDD or wanted to have the option of building the system whilst being finantially reserved.

Bringing out a new Xbox 360 with an internal Blu-Ray drive designed for games changes the spec of the console and means ALL games will be developed on a new format. It won't happen. Whether or not it can be interal and be designed to ONLY work with movies and standard Xbox 360 DVD9 games, I don't know. I wouldn't have thought it would be possible.

You also need to think that Microsoft selling it as an add-on, which I fully believe they will (IF one is announced), can set a high retail price.

gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts

'Maybe - I will wait and see if games start being released on BluRay for the 360."

I don't think they'll release games on Blu-ray. I'd rather them make a Blu-ray peripheral.

IceSwift7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IceSwift7
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

The link suggesting this, is sooo watered down info let's break it down:

a mystery unkown gamer infromant, told a no name gamer thaqt this would happen tommorow, and it was very odd how quotations were broken up, suggesting this may only possibly happen at an Apple (mac) conference, where microsoft would unveil this new 360 which would have a blu-ray player, which requires endless licensing agreements and fees just to achieve.

Also to note:

Blu ray is very young, expensive, and unsuccesful compared to DVDs still.

This would not be worth the investment for microsoft to make from a marketing perspective, cause it would cost a tonne and cause contreversy.

The hardware for the 360 must be universal among all 360's in terms of graphical output etc. they simply cant make blu ray games exclusively to the new 360's, that's an 8th gen console then, not this gen cause it plays it's own exclusive games, as well look at the comparison between the dvd and blu ray games between microsoft and ps3, they have the same content and blu ray hasn't been exploited yet, meaning it has potential, but a waste for a company who wants to improve their system immediteltly upon launch of this new model. This idea is bets left for the xbox 720.

Microsoft also has a completley different philosophy and believed HD Dvd was the best even after it folded, this ideal simply doesnt change over the course of a few months.

In short this is a load of crap and not true, go play halo 3 and relax.

porky_ownsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 porky_ownsu
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts

i don't have an HDTV, i'm perfectly fine with regular DVDs and whatnot, and I'm not going to trade my 360 in and "upgrade". i'm good, here. bulletsword

bluray has nothing to do with hd, a regular 800mb cd can play hd, just only for 20mins, its all about space.

on topic: if this happens in upgrading and then mgs4 will be able to come onto 360 =P

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
I am happy using my 360 to just play the few games that I enjoy; no need for a Blue-Ray player.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
I highly doubt this will happen. It would devalue the PS3. As the platform holder, I don't think Sony would want that to happen
ryanvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ryanvl
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
I might consider it if my 360 died out of warranty. But like a previous poster said, I might just opt for a PS3 if I had the spare cash, more game diversity and it already has bluray.
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
sorry but i have found this to try and get rid of this rumour lol
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/08/robbie-bach-says-no-zune-phone-no-xbox-blu-ray-maybe-a-touch/
jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts
As with other replies, I fail to see the point of getting a blu-ray. Currently, what I do is rip my DVD collection to Nero Recode mp4 files & then watch them through TVersity, a freeware streamer that works with the 360. The ripped collection resides on my PC where I have ample hdd space. It can also watch quicktime, wmv, & other file formats...the Youtube plug-in doesn't work yet, but maybe someday it will. I can't speak for anyone else, but it's much faster to push a few buttons in a menu list to watch a movie than pop discs in & out of a tray.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#46 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
no because the new xbox is supposed to come out in like 2 or 3 years, right?
dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dcap8424
Member since 2006 • 806 Posts
i would buy it as an add-on, but i don't think they will make a 360 with blu-ray integrated in it. i mean the games are on dvds, and microsoft's big thing this generation is buy what you want and add it in at your own pace. force feeding blu-ray built in would seem to be going against it's own mantra
robotecha5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 robotecha5
Member since 2006 • 1207 Posts
Great another SKU :roll: Way to got MS cause even more confusion about the differences between your systems. Joe Schmoe dosnt get it. Customer confusion=less sales. I work in retail I know.
dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dcap8424

As with other replies, I fail to see the point of getting a blu-ray. Currently, what I do is rip my DVD collection to Nero Recode mp4 files & then watch them through TVersity, a freeware streamer that works with the 360. The ripped collection resides on my PC where I have ample hdd space. It can also watch quicktime, wmv, & other file formats...the Youtube plug-in doesn't work yet, but maybe someday it will. I can't speak for anyone else, but it's much faster to push a few buttons in a menu list to watch a movie than pop discs in & out of a tray.jknight5422

um... blu-ray is 1080p, DVD is not even close unless your computer program is upscaling somehow. your reply seems kind of silly. obviously there is an advantage to HD vs. SD. blu-ray is definitly welcome. you own a 360 so i'm sure you know this

dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dcap8424

Great another SKU :roll: Way to got MS cause even more confusion about the differences between your systems. Joe Schmoe dosnt get it. Customer confusion=less sales. I work in retail I know.robotecha5

do you really need to work in retail to know that? but yeah it would be confusing, and this is far from confirmed. most likely it would be offered as an add-on similar to the HD-DVD i would assume, but what do i know?