Keeping the 360 plugged in when not in use is a waste of energy.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General_OB1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 General_OB1
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
Lately I've been unplugging my xbox when I'm not playing because that little orange light wastes energy anyone else do this?
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Keeping anything plugged in when it's not in use is wasting energy.
stabbystabstab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stabbystabstab
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
I don't beleive in global warming plus i have about 590 hamsters running on wheels powering my house.
Garygok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Garygok
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
Keeping anything plugged in when it's not in use is wasting energy.spazzx625
I doubt this is true of a toaster with no power indicater lights or anything
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

True, it is 'consuming' energy even though its not being used, but do you actually know how much you are talking about when you say waste of energy?

Youre speaking pennies...

for someone to change out their light bulb w/ one of the new halogen bulbs(the new twirly ones that conserve more energy), the savings for that is only a few bucks a year, so to completely turn off the xbox 360 when not being used is, in all honesty, nowhere near as energy conserving as the light bulb example.

BUT, it is conserving energy(whatever minute amount it actually is) if thats the bottom line for you.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

That's possibly the worst way to conserve energy I've ever heard

What is less useless is to remove one grain of sand to clean a sidewalk.

DraculSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DraculSlayer
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
couldnt hurt to unplug that energy vampyre from time to time
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Keeping anything plugged in when it's not in use is wasting energy.Garygok

No, it does. Think of it like water...There is still water in a hose once you turn the faucet off.
Avatar image for SOLID_SNAKE_LEO
SOLID_SNAKE_LEO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOLID_SNAKE_LEO
Member since 2003 • 1271 Posts
I do this as well.
Avatar image for justxtremekilla
justxtremekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 justxtremekilla
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts

I don't beleive in global warming plus i have about 590 hamsters running on wheels powering my house.stabbystabstab

I don't believe in global warming either but running up the bill isn't exactly the best form of protest.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy
The 360 uses 1.8 watts
DraculSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DraculSlayer
I would assume also the benefit of unplugging the xbox 360 is to increase the longevity of the hardware. this is usually the case with electronics, though many more factors are involved with said possiblity.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
If I can be bothered to reach behind my unit to flick the switch, otherwise its left on.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

I would assume also the benefit of unplugging the xbox 360 is to increase the longevity of the hardware. this is usually the case with electronics, though many more factors are involved with said possiblity. DraculSlayer

No, that doesn't do anything

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

The 360 uses 1.8 wattsJaysonguy

now times that by how many hours its in use for.

Bansheezs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Bansheezs
Member since 2003 • 590 Posts
*plugs in 30 xbox 360 and wastes lots of energy* i dont care, the energy bill will be the same for me no mater what i do because its inlcuded in my rent
DraculSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DraculSlayer
Im sure it does something, just not enough to make a significant difference.
stabbystabstab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stabbystabstab
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts

[QUOTE="stabbystabstab"]I don't beleive in global warming plus i have about 590 hamsters running on wheels powering my house.justxtremekilla

I don't believe in global warming either but running up the bill isn't exactly the best form of protest.

Yes it is. Get a job

d_dutch13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 d_dutch13
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
You could always plug the 360 into a surge strip and then cut the power at the strip. However Microsoft does not recommend you using a surge strip and you may get the RROD. It's one of the first things they tell you to do when you call after the RROD (please unplug your 360 from any surge protectors).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]The 360 uses 1.8 wattsclyde46

now times that by how many hours its in use for.

Yeah, it's even more laughable once you do that

That comes out to 7/10th's of a cent an hour

If we leave the 360 plugged in an never turn it on we get 6 dollars and 13 cents a year or 1.68 cents a day.

Like I said before. This is the most useless way to save energy.

wii_dude101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 wii_dude101
Member since 2007 • 318 Posts
I don't think it really helps with saving money you would probably save like .05$ every month, but I do it every night because I think it helps the xbox 360 because then the power brick gets a rest every night.
spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 spazpol
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts
I have 2 PCs, 1 Server, and a bunch of other stuff that stay on all the time. Also I get stuck running 2 AC units in the summer because New England is way to hot. I couldn't be bothered even thinking the minimal impact a small orange lite while a system is powered down actually consumes. If that was the case, you may as well be unplugging your computers every time you shut them down as well.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
The 360 may not be much on its own, but Google "vampire appliances" to find out about how much it costs. This article estimates $200 per household annually!
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

Lately I've been unplugging my xbox when I'm not playing because that little orange light wastes energy anyone else do this? General_OB1

Don't forget to unplug your desktop and fridge to

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

You could always plug the 360 into a surge strip and then cut the power at the strip. However Microsoft does not recommend you using a surge strip and you may get the RROD. It's one of the first things they tell you to do when you call after the RROD (please unplug your 360 from any surge protectors). d_dutch13

Proof or link please...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]Keeping anything plugged in when it's not in use is wasting energy.Garygok

Lol, of course it does. Power light indicator or not...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Elann2008

[QUOTE="General_OB1"]Lately I've been unplugging my xbox when I'm not playing because that little orange light wastes energy anyone else do this? APOLLOCJD

Don't forget to unplug your desktop and fridge to

Computer, yes. But Fridge? Your food will spoil...

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Wow...I would not go through the trouble of repeatedly plugging and unplugging my xbox to save no money because that's practically what it costs to keep that silly little orange light on all day.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008

Wow...I would not go through the trouble of repeatedly plugging and unplugging my xbox to save no money because that's practically what it costs to keep that silly little orange light on all day.Ghost_702

It's more than just nickels and dimes. It's about protecting the environment. If half of the population in the United States plugged and unplugged, we'd produce less pollution and save tons and tons of energy. Plugging things back isnt so hard. I find it a total waste to have things plugged in when you dont use them. And I think it's really lazy not to unplug them. Some of us need to think out of the box, and stop thinking small. I guess most people are too lazy.

spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spazpol

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Wow...I would not go through the trouble of repeatedly plugging and unplugging my xbox to save no money because that's practically what it costs to keep that silly little orange light on all day.Elann2008

It's more than just nickels and dimes. It's about protecting the environment. If half of the population in the United States plugged and unplugged, we'd produce less pollution and save tons and tons of energy. Plugging things back isnt so hard. I find it a total waste to have things plugged in when you dont use them. And I think it's really lazy not to unplug them. Some of us need to think out of the box, and stop thinking small. I guess most people are too lazy.

Yes, rather then reduce the number of cars on the road, or worry about renewable energy, let's take up a cause to have people unplug their Xboxes when they are not in use and the world would be saved for our offsprings! ... you crazy hippies and your radical mind blowing ideas :-)

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't that will realy do anything.
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts
It uses energy if it's not on? I don't get that...
spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spazpol

It uses energy if it's not on? I don't get that...Syrenz

Power constantly flows through a cable when it is pluged into the wall, (hence why you don't shove forks into outlets). The little light on the powerbrick consumes power to stay illuminated (mind you,not enough to warrant this long of a conversation on). If you really worry about the cost leaving an xbox adds to your power bill every month, I suggest you get a better job. If you're of the hippie mentality that using power is bad. Don't buy an xbox or any electronics and go live in shack with no power out in the woods of Montana.....

bmsaareagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#35 bmsaareagles
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
i just keep mine plugged in, never thought of that before thu
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

[QUOTE="Syrenz"]It uses energy if it's not on? I don't get that...spazpol

Power constantly flows through a cable when it is pluged into the wall, (hence why you don't shove forks into outlets). The little light on the powerbrick consumes power to stay illuminated (mind you,not enough to warrant this long of a conversation on). If you really worry about the cost leaving an xbox adds to your power bill every month, I suggest you get a better job. If you're of the hippie mentality that using power is bad. Don't buy an xbox or any electronics and go live in shack with no power out in the woods of Montana.....

weird that I never thought of that b4... all I know about my 360 is that it plays games lol

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
I leave my 360 plugged in but, I find all the posts about fraction of cents and the post about lifting a grain of sand to clean a sidewalk disturbing. Reson being if every one who has a 360 unplugged the amount of power saved would be shocking and spewing numbers for 1 360 when millions have sold only makes sense if you are personally wanting to save $. Imagine if everyone picked up 1 grain of sand from that sidewalk it would be the cleanest sidewalk on earth.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jaysonguy

I leave my 360 plugged in but, I find all the posts about fraction of cents and the post about lifting a grain of sand to clean a sidewalk disturbing. Reson being if every one who has a 360 unplugged the amount of power saved would be shocking and spewing numbers for 1 360 when millions have sold only makes sense if you are personally wanting to save $. Imagine if everyone picked up 1 grain of sand from that sidewalk it would be the cleanest sidewalk on earth.CorporateHammer

That's the price of convenience

We're not Amish. If 7/10ths of a cent is that disturbing to some perhaps they should look into that way of life.

jb_22vols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jb_22vols
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts

If you had watched "An Inconvenient Truth" you would learn that is an effective way to save energy.

*Waits for Al Gore bashing*

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts

Quickly, Al Gore don't practice what he preaches.

Anyway, I turn off my stuff when I know I won't be using it for awhile. I don't go to the extreme to unplug stuff and quite frankly there are a lot of better ways to save energy then doing what this thread is about.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
leaving my brain plugged in is wasting brain cells O_o
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#42 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Having the x360 or ps3, or your pc plugged in takes about 5-10 watts. PCs take the most, my PC takes around 10-12 watts from the power supply just sitting there with it plugged into the wall.

If you were going away for several weeks, or just planned on not doing any gaming, unplugging it would save a slight amount of power. I keep my ps3 unplugged since it sucks around 8 watts of power continuous.

Basically anything with a power brick is sucking slight power, and its obvious since if you feel it, it'll feel warm. To make sure, you can buy a power meter and measure the watts its using.

General_OB1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 General_OB1
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
Its not like this is the only thing I do to conserve energy. Anyway can someone tell me what the purpose of the power brick is? I don't remember the original xbox having one.
-Intellectual-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Intellectual-
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

Lately I've been unplugging my xbox when I'm not playing because that little orange light wastes energy anyone else do this? General_OB1

I do the same dude. Very good thread. Congrats for educating the masses.

iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

[QUOTE="Garygok"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]Keeping anything plugged in when it's not in use is wasting energy.spazzx625

No, it does. Think of it like water...There is still water in a hose once you turn the faucet off.

LoL

accretia27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46 accretia27
Member since 2008 • 585 Posts
I don't beleive in global warming plus i have about 590 hamsters running on wheels powering my house.stabbystabstab
lol hahahahha
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Its not like this is the only thing I do to conserve energy. Anyway can someone tell me what the purpose of the power brick is? I don't remember the original xbox having one. General_OB1

the original Xbox had the power-brick internal. Hence why the console was so much bigger. and i guess its better to have that little brick get warm away from the motherboard inside the 360. You'll notice the PS3 is MUCH larger and just has one black cord that goes to the outlet, because the power supply is inside the ps3's case.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
well unplug you computer tv radio and every else if your that worried about it
xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts

[QUOTE="stabbystabstab"]I don't beleive in global warming plus i have about 590 hamsters running on wheels powering my house.justxtremekilla

exactly
xraystar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xraystar
Member since 2003 • 1150 Posts
leaving my brain plugged in is wasting brain cells O_owwedx
yea, if it's actually plugged into something O_o