I think most of you have the wrong image of COD Elite

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

The Majority of it will be free, it is not required to play the game. This time, Activison will be laying out their whole DLC plan at the launch of the game, so you can make an informed decision if its worth buying. But even if you don't you still get access to most of the features - Stat Tracking, Groups, Etc.

Read the full Q&A Here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/03/call-of-duty-elite-qanda-we-ask-activision-to-clear-up-some-of-th/

Then post what you think after reading it.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i think you have the wrong image of people...
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

all i know is that xbox ahoy is working on it as hes doing the weapon strategy guides and if they are free then im happy. i dont see how they could charge you for videos though tbh. either i think its cool, i probably wont be paying for any of the other stuff due to the fact that im pretty average at COD so comptetions and clan matches arent really my thing

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

Well all I know is that Battlefield has the same thing and it's gonna be free.

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

Well all I know is that Battlefield has the same thing and it's gonna be free.

me_rock
End of debate
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

The Majority of it will be free, it is not required to play the game. This time, Activison will be laying out their whole DLC plan at the launch of the game, so you can make an informed decision if its worth buying. But even if you don't you still get access to most of the features - Stat Tracking, Groups, Etc.

Read the full Q&A Here: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/03/call-of-duty-elite-qanda-we-ask-activision-to-clear-up-some-of-th/

DeX2010
If you realized that when they announced Elite they didn't say what was free or paid for then you would realize that no we didn't have the wrong image.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Well there are many reasons people have a problem with this:

1. COD map packs were already overpriced and now there will be a monthly charge that over just a matter of a few months goes beyond the cost of the map packs.

2. Can you play the map packs only while paying the monthly charge? If so, that's messed up.

3. There are no other games other than MMO's that charge monthly fees. I'm pretty sure this would be the first non-MMO to do so.

4. Bungie already has a great free stat tracking service with heat maps and all kinds of crazy stuff and DICE is putting out somethign to eclipse what they had for Battlefield 2 in terms of all that.

5. People are upset with Activision in general. They already screwed up Guitar Hero and now they have turned COD into Madden. PEOPLE are getting sick of it.

I severly hope most people don't pay for this service as it will only prove to Activision they can get away with anything.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

Well there are many reasons people have a problem with this:

1. COD map packs were already overpriced and now there will be a monthly charge that over just a matter of a few months goes beyond the cost of the map packs.

2. Can you play the map packs only while paying the monthly charge? If so, that's messed up.

3. There are no other games other than MMO's that charge monthly fees. I'm pretty sure this would be the first non-MMO to do so.

4. Bungie already has a great free stat tracking service with heat maps and all kinds of crazy stuff and DICE is putting out somethign to eclipse what they had for Battlefield 2 in terms of all that.

5. People are upset with Activision in general. They already screwed up Guitar Hero and now they have turned COD into Madden. PEOPLE are getting sick of it.

I severly hope most people don't pay for this service as it will only prove to Activision they can get away with anything.

firefox59
Plus the fact that it's Activision. Only a fool would put their trust in those people. Ask their former employees that did not get the performance bonuses they were promised.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#9 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I just personally think its a dumb idea.Why would they think people would want to do this.I just wanna put the game in and play online, not deal with all that garbage and expect me to pay if I want all the benefits from it.This is just another reason im excited for Battlefield 3
pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pan1cknife
Member since 2011 • 32 Posts
they've already said that you can get the map packs without paying the monthly fee. they're offering additional crap for the additional money. battlefield has a few of the elements they've said will be in elite, but not all of them. honestly, activision f'd themselves over by letting it leak that they were going to try to make extra money off of COD multiplayer; once that leak came out, they should've denied, denied, denied, or at least clarified what was being reported, because the second elite was announced, everyone had the complete wrong idea about what they were planning on doing. when they heard elite, they didn't realize it had little to do with the actual multiplayer mechanics of the game and everything to do with some weird, social networking service type deal... they thought right away, "ACTIVISION IS CHARGING US FOR MULTIPLAYER!" that's clearly not the case. they're offering a companion service that expands on functions already present in the game. i'm not sure what everyone's problem is with it, to be honest with you. i don't see anything necessarily wrong with it, though i probably won't subscribe because it's just not for me. you can buy map packs without it, so who cares? it doesn't affect me at all. people who are saying they won't buy mw3 because of it probably weren't going to buy mw3 anyways. for some reason, battlefield-only people have this inferiority complex about the call of duty franchise that is big enough to create its own gravitational pull. they're both good games. they're both very different games, and anyone who has played both realizes that. enjoy them both for what they are.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I think the problem is that there's no reason why this shouldn't be free. I understand charging for the map packs, but like Halo's Forge mode, this could have been something that is fresh and unique for a series that is flirting with becoming stagnant. Unfortunately Activision knows that they will sell anything Call of Duty related regardless of innovation or unique features.

We already know that most game companies play follow the leader; Call of Duty is hugely successful, so why not try and copy it? There are some games out there that really have no right for charging for map packs (Operation Flashpoint, Crysis 2, and many others) yet they do so because it makes them money. So if Elite becomes successful, what's to stop other companies from doing what they've been always doing - follow the leader.

This is definitely a grey area that may or may not have severe repercussions as we imagine.

pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pan1cknife
what cracks me up is that for all the BF fanboys (and I hate saying it like that, because I absolutely love BC2) are complaining about the "already too expensive map packs" -- news flash, Vietnam cost just about the same as Escalation. i don't disagree with what you're saying, but i also don't think we really know everything elite will do yet, mostly because i don't think activision knows everything it will do yet. you're right in that people will follow with COD does, but i don't think they're going to have much success at all if they follow the leader on this one with a crappy game. i think activision is going to have trouble selling elite anyways, and it's going to go down in the books as a failure. i just don't see how that affects the general consumer that isn't going to buy elite anyways.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HilbillyRokstar
[QUOTE="pan1cknife"]what cracks me up is that for all the BF fanboys (and I hate saying it like that, because I absolutely love BC2) are complaining about the "already too expensive map packs" -- news flash, Vietnam cost just about the same as Escalation. i don't disagree with what you're saying, but i also don't think we really know everything elite will do yet, mostly because i don't think activision knows everything it will do yet. you're right in that people will follow with COD does, but i don't think they're going to have much success at all if they follow the leader on this one with a crappy game. i think activision is going to have trouble selling elite anyways, and it's going to go down in the books as a failure. i just don't see how that affects the general consumer that isn't going to buy elite anyways.

It affects them if those guys get exclusive weapons and perks (knowing Activision it's more likely than not) And if that's what it takes to pull in the extra money, it's gonna happen.
pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pan1cknife
they haven't said anything about that, though. if it happens, sure, i'll be the first one to complain about it. but that's just conjecture and baseless complaining until they do.
pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pan1cknife
and by the way... getting a special weapon skin doesn't matter, if that's what they give you. nobody gives a crap about how your gun looks. if it's a different gun or a different perk that affect gameplay, yeah, that's lame as hell. but they haven't said anything about that, nor have they even remotely suggested that's the case.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HilbillyRokstar

and by the way... getting a special weapon skin doesn't matter, if that's what they give you. nobody gives a crap about how your gun looks. if it's a different gun or a different perk that affect gameplay, yeah, that's lame as hell. but they haven't said anything about that, nor have they even remotely suggested that's the case.pan1cknife
Wht would they tell you? Did Hitler tell the Jews he was preparing them for a slaughter? Of course not! Mark my words. If it starts poorly, they will do WHATEVER it takes to extort money from us. After all. they are the kings of multiplayer. Just ask 'em.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lanezy

Wht would they tell you? Did Hitler tell the Jews he was preparing them for a slaughter? Of course not!

HilbillyRokstar

...Kind of a different scenario going on here.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

Wht would they tell you? Did Hitler tell the Jews he was preparing them for a slaughter? Of course not!

Lanezy

It's all about deception, either way. The victims will always be the last to know.
pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pan1cknife
seriously, are you comparing COD: Elite to the holocaust? get ahold of yourself.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HilbillyRokstar
seriously, are you comparing COD: Elite to the holocaust? get ahold of yourself.pan1cknife
Nope, just talking about the how deception works in a way that most people are familiar with Get ahold of yourself! I'm fine.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Like someone said above me, Battlefield 3 is going to have that same features if not better then elite and it will all be free. I can already see now that CoD is going to be losing a lot of users.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Yeah, I see. Not worth it for me, but I'm sure some will enjoy it.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
[QUOTE="pan1cknife"]what cracks me up is that for all the BF fanboys (and I hate saying it like that, because I absolutely love BC2) are complaining about the "already too expensive map packs" -- news flash, Vietnam cost just about the same as Escalation. i don't disagree with what you're saying, but i also don't think we really know everything elite will do yet, mostly because i don't think activision knows everything it will do yet. you're right in that people will follow with COD does, but i don't think they're going to have much success at all if they follow the leader on this one with a crappy game. i think activision is going to have trouble selling elite anyways, and it's going to go down in the books as a failure. i just don't see how that affects the general consumer that isn't going to buy elite anyways.

You do know that Vietnam comes with 5 Maps new guns and new vechiecles. With the CoD map pack you get 4maps + a zombie map.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HilbillyRokstar
Yeah, I see. Not worth it for me, but I'm sure some will enjoy it.RoslindaleOne
Yea, like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute".
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lanezy

[QUOTE="pan1cknife"]seriously, are you comparing COD: Elite to the holocaust? get ahold of yourself.HilbillyRokstar
Nope, just talking about the how deception works in a way that most people are familiar with Get ahold of yourself! I'm fine.

We're not children. We understand how deception works, but comparing the strategies used by the Nazis to exterminate 6 million people to HOW Activision may handle CoD Elite is pretty naive and, honestly, dangerously stupid.

pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pan1cknife
[QUOTE="chaoz-king"][QUOTE="pan1cknife"]what cracks me up is that for all the BF fanboys (and I hate saying it like that, because I absolutely love BC2) are complaining about the "already too expensive map packs" -- news flash, Vietnam cost just about the same as Escalation. i don't disagree with what you're saying, but i also don't think we really know everything elite will do yet, mostly because i don't think activision knows everything it will do yet. you're right in that people will follow with COD does, but i don't think they're going to have much success at all if they follow the leader on this one with a crappy game. i think activision is going to have trouble selling elite anyways, and it's going to go down in the books as a failure. i just don't see how that affects the general consumer that isn't going to buy elite anyways.

You do know that Vietnam comes with 5 Maps new guns and new vechiecles. With the CoD map pack you get 4maps + a zombie map.

so, one extra map. i have both, by the way, and like both. but don't act like dice is changing the world while activision is constantly out to screw everyone. both are upselling their products, and successfully i might add.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="pan1cknife"]seriously, are you comparing COD: Elite to the holocaust? get ahold of yourself.Lanezy

We're not children. We understand how deception works, but comparing the strategies used by the Nazis to exterminate 6 million people to HOW Activision may handle CoD Elite is pretty naive and, honestly, dangerously stupid.

What exactly is so "dangerous" about it? You can't handle your emotions if the example is too extreme? I am anything but naive. Maybe you need therapy if reality is a little too harsh, because I'm not gonna water down my viewpoint just to suit your sensibilities. If you can't handle it, find another forum, 'cause I'm not going anywhere!.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HilbillyRokstar
not to start a flame war, but you're borderline autistic if you can't see why people would see your example as asinine.pan1cknife
Borderline genius is said to be borderline insanity. In any case, I'm not autistic just because i'm thicker skinned than you are.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
So far it's just an app for tracking stats and sharing videos. Nothing I' ever pay a dime for, let alone $8 a month
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts

I honestly think this is going to be a ripoff. They love milking money out of CoD and this just seems like a bigger excuse for them to charge us for stuff we used to get for free. I certainly don't need it, and I hope others out there will feel the same way and not buy into their disturbing reach into our pockets. That would just prove their point and make them try to feed on us more.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lanezy

What exactly is so "dangerous" about it? You can't handle your emotions if the example is too extreme? I am anything but naive. Maybe you need therapy if reality is a little too harsh, because I'm not gonna water down my viewpoint just to suit your sensibilities. If you can't handle it, find another forum, 'cause I'm not going anywhere!.HilbillyRokstar

Can you not see that you are sensationalzing the actual facts just to fit your view point. How is Activisions plans for CoD Elite anything like the holocaust? Oh, I forgot, Activision's customers will be deceived much like the Jews were in Nazi Germany. Wow, I wonder if you would be so brazen to say what you believe if you actually lived through it or knew anybody that did. I don't, but I do have some respect.

It bothers me that you actual believe, wholeheartedly, in that type of justification. If that's your mentality towards a simple enhancement to a game then I truly feel sorry for you and it may be time for you to grow up.

Honestly, this tread has gotten a little bit out of hand. I've finished what I had to say and I'm not going to try and waste anymore time on ridiculous thoughts.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HilbillyRokstar

What exactly is so "dangerous" about it? You can't handle your emotions if the example is too extreme? I am anything but naive. Maybe you need therapy if reality is a little too harsh, because I'm not gonna water down my viewpoint just to suit your sensibilities. If you can't handle it, find another forum, 'cause I'm not going anywhere!.Lanezy

Can you not see that you are sensationalzing the actual facts just to fit your view point. How is Activisions plans for CoD Elite anything like the holocaust? Oh, I forgot, Activision's customers will be deceived much like the Jews were in Nazi Germany. Wow, I wonder if you would be so brazen to say what you believe if you actually lived through it or knew anybody that did. I don't, but I do have some respect.

It bothers me that you actual believe, wholeheartedly, in that type of justification. If that's your mentality towards a simple enhancement to a game then I truly feel sorry for you and it may be time for you to grow up.

Honestly, this tread has gotten a little bit out of hand. I've finished what I had to say and I'm not going to try and waste anymore time on ridiculous thoughts.

I'm done with you too. Save the drama for your mama.

rafferty_1875

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rafferty_1875
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts

What cracks me up is that COD Fan boys pay for the game every year. And pay for the 2 map packs they release a year totaling almost 80 Pounds. Thats just in 1 years game. And lord help you if they release 3 like World at War. Battlefield was out for almost a full year i believe before they even thought about releasing DLC and even at that. They made it feel fresh. Im not favouring Battlefield over COD as I play neither anymore. I just feel Activision is killing a series i used to enjoy. They used to call Entertainment an Art. Now its just profit motivated.
pan1cknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pan1cknife
to be fair, all games are profit motivated...
Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="DeX2010"]

People will try to jag money from you in every way possible.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

[QUOTE="Lanezy"]

HilbillyRokstar

It's all about deception, either way. The victims will always be the last to know.

You think they got up like every other day and saw how an unknown man named Adolf was killing everyone in their city? out of the blue?

Please get your facts straight.

rafferty_1875

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rafferty_1875
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts
to be fair, all games are profit motivated...pan1cknife
I agree completely. But COD started the cash grabbing fad in the FPS genre. Now every other FPS has to follow suit or else it gets written off in the sea other FPS titles that couldnt compete with its reputation. Blacksite? Homefront?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 firefox59
[QUOTE="pan1cknife"]to be fair, all games are profit motivated...rafferty_1875
I agree completely. But COD started the cash grabbing fad in the FPS genre. Now every other FPS has to follow suit or else it gets written off in the sea other FPS titles that couldnt compete with its reputation. Blacksite? Homefront?

But Battlefield isn't following suit, that's one of the main pionts of the argument in this thread.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Not going to pay a monthly fee for a game on top of my Xbox Live fee. That's just nuts.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="Lanezy"]

_TheJoker_

You think they got up like every other day and saw how an unknown man named Adolf was killing everyone in their city? out of the blue?

What are you talking about? The Nazis convinced the people they invaded that nothing would change and the walls they put up around the cities were there to protect them. He took over a large percent of Poland that way. To what facts were you referring?
king871

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 king871
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts

get the hell out of here

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firefox59
[QUOTE="_TheJoker_"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]It's all about deception, either way. The victims will always be the last to know.HilbillyRokstar

What are you talking about? The Nazis convinced the people they invaded that nothing would change and the walls they put up around the cities were there to protect them. He took over a large percent of Poland that way. To what facts were you referring?

Maybe you just shouldn't mention genocide that took place over 50 years ago on a video game forum.
Solamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Solamon
Member since 2002 • 204 Posts

[QUOTE="_TheJoker_"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]It's all about deception, either way. The victims will always be the last to know.HilbillyRokstar

Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 (100%). :roll:

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

People need to stop complaining. Activision is greedy and fiendish, but it is not stupid. They understand that if they include game-altering content to the elite features that must be paid for, that they will be discouraging A LOT of people from playing their game, and would lose more money than they would eventually gain from Elite. The extra features most likely will not affect the gameplay or online matches, period. That being said, there is no reason to complain because they are simply giving you tons of stuff for FREE. If the features that must be paid for give subscribed players advantages over unsubscribed players online (in matches, matchmaking, etc...) then I will be the first to complain, but I HIGHLY doubt that will be the case.

If you think the price is ridiculous, cool, don't pay for it, that's understandable. But why complain about it...? You only gain from them doing this, because you are getting the free content and will still be able to enjoy MW3 as much as you would have if Elite had never existed, even if you don't have the paid features.

I think people just want to hate on CoD/Activision tbh. I don't even like the CoD series that much and I despise the way Activision is oversaturating the industry, but it's just ridiculous to hate on getting free stuff, and them giving you an OPTION to pay for features that probably won't have any influence on the actual online gameplay and online matches.

chaosflare44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chaosflare44
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

When I first heard they were planning on charging for elite I got pretty angry, but after reading some articles I must admit I am... curious... Some people here must not have read the link because things like playing online, stat tracking, sharing videos, etc are all free. Premium members get compete and improve (which seem hinted to be premium), and any and all DLC.

Whether or not this is good depends entirely on pricing. If they charge $5 a month and only release 3 map packs like they have before then yes, it would be a major ripoff, conversly however if they release a map pack every month that would be pretty good deal. Whats more, the article hints at other forms of DLC different from map packs which has a bit of potential depending on what they do.

Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions because of the rumors from last year that activision was planning on charging to play CoD online. If that were the case I would be up in arms, but its not, in fact there has been very little info revealed so far (for all we know Elite could be $1 a month). I feel it would be best to reserve judgment and wait until we find out more about Activision's plans instead of instinctivly bashing a service we know little about simply because its CoD.

tl;dr

People are raging about something we know little about. Its better to wait and see what Activision is planning then jump to conclusions.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HilbillyRokstar

get the hell out of here

king871
I will go anywhere I want dude!
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HilbillyRokstar

Oh and Hillbilly, you're making a fool of yourself in this thread :?. You just look assumptious, pompous, conceited and disrespectful :|.

elpooz
Well, with your opinion and a dollar I can get a Mcdouble. I can;t wait!
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

]What are you talking about? The Nazis convinced the people they invaded that nothing would change and the walls they put up around the cities were there to protect them. He took over a large percent of Poland that way. To what facts were you referring?HilbillyRokstar

What does this have to do with the thread? I find it offensive that you would bring up such a sensitive issue in a video game thread.