How do you decide what games you are going to buy?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bigfred19882000
Bigfred19882000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Bigfred19882000
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts
Everyone has their own may of judging what game(s) they are going to buy next. One of my friends buy games based on strictly the genre if its considered a sport he is buying it. Me personnally I only get my games based on reviews 9.0 and better. If a game has an average rating of less than 9 I usually just wait till the game goes on sale.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

guttfeeling I guess..

also gameplay movies, Demos and (p)reviews.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Games I find interesting enough to buy or games friends reccomend.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerfist

also high ratings doesnt mean anything. example: halo3, it got a 9.5 here on GS, but out of the 7.000.000 people that bought it, half of them seem to hate it.

another example: Tomb Raider. it gets low ratings and my friends call me crazy for buying it. but its as simple as this. I liked tomb raider since the very first one in the 90s. exept angel of darkness and another I cant recall. thats the reason I buy them.

Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
I look at gameplay videos, read previews and reviews alsoof course try the demos. If I'm still on the fence I give it a rent and see if I think it warrants a buy
Avatar image for Bigfred19882000
Bigfred19882000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bigfred19882000
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts
I understand what you are saying killerfist but thats just me, so how do you decide what game to get?
zoe256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 zoe256
Member since 2007 • 2821 Posts
If I see a game I like the look of, I'll probably come on Gamespot read up about it, watch some gameplay videos, then download the demo and see if I like it. If its a game I just like, not really want, I'll look at the achievement points too, to get an idea of if I could do it or not lol
pulse104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pulse104
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

also high ratings doesnt mean anything. example: halo3, it got a 9.5 here on GS, but out of the 7.000.000 people that bought it, half of them seem to hate it.

another example: Tomb Raider. it gets low ratings and my friends call me crazy for buying it. but its as simple as this. I liked tomb raider since the very first one in the 90s. exept angel of darkness and another I cant recall. thats the reason I buy them.

killerfist

yeah much the same here, if I like the concepts going into a game and I believe the company thats developing it could or has pulled them off I will usually get it.

Oh and so many people hate Halo 3 simply because its cool to hate it.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
i watch video's, read previews and hands on reports and reviews... at that point i allready know what games will be good for me.
PhilGDUK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 PhilGDUK2
Member since 2006 • 79 Posts

:D watch trailers, then go from some reviews.

Sometime on impulse but last time i did that i walked away with Kayne & Lynch... man that was bad.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killerfist
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

pulse104

yeah much the same here, if I like the concepts going into a game and I believe the company thats developing it could or has pulled them off I will usually get it.

Oh and so many people hate Halo 3 simply because its cool to hate it.

yeah my halo3 comment was sarcasm all the way;) sure there are people that hate it with a passion and I respect that. but most of them are full of BS imo

yautja111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yautja111
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts
this is weak but the box art lol
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 killerfist

this is weak but the box art lolyautja111

hahaha XD really? I hope not:P

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
I look at gameplay footage and reviews before I make my decison
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I usually like shooting fools so FPSes are what I tend to go for etc. But some games I like the role playing and grouping aspect hence why I like to play World of Warcraft, RTS games I like to....pretty much any game where I can hit dudes over the face is a winner.
leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts
check the demo, see opinions of it. scores of 8.5 and above...and replayabilty...Because i dont get games to often maybe like once every 1 1/2 months? So yeah replayabilty plays a huge factor in deciding which game to get...o and also fun :)
PredadorPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 PredadorPT
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts
I usually try out the demo if it's available, then I come to GS and read some reviews, and watch the video review, if I like what I see, and what I've read sounds cool I'll buy the game.
siruslife4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 siruslife4
Member since 2007 • 126 Posts

my 1st 360 game will be dead rising and thats cause it looks like the most ultimate zombie game and i loves nay adores zombie games

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killerfist

my 1st 360 game will be dead rising and thats cause it looks like the most ultimate zombie game and i loves nay adores zombie games

siruslife4

yeah Dead Rising is a Must have for fans of zombie slashers! Its funny as hell and can be very hard at times

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
I do my research. Watch and read plenty of reviews and game trailers can be helpful visually.
Tom1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tom1243
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts

killerfist

Yeah your right, i even slightly like AoD (yes shoot me now :P). I just go on a gut feeling, gameplay movies, screenshots, hype and the kind of genre i like, eg, i wouldnt buy a basketball game ever, coz i know i would not enjoy it.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
title
dan_cicero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dan_cicero
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
people play games other than call of duty 4??
Carroll-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Carroll-06
Member since 2006 • 384 Posts
I just really decide by either what reviews say or what my friends say, and if i cant decide i would rent the game out for one night to decide if its worth buying.
DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
Three things:

Gamerankings, youtube and finally, demos.
dan_cicero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dan_cicero
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
main thing i look for is how long i'll be able to play the game....if i can beat the single player in less than a week and MP is not the best then it will be a rental
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
I buy a game depending on the franchise, if I liked the prequels, then I'll like the sequels. I also play demos and either borrow from friends or rent the games before buying.
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

Pretty much every way there is to judge.. Demos, I do a lot of research, watch trailers (rarely reviews though. The only time I use reviews are to see if a game got below 5.0. Above 5.0 and usually the fun level is subjective, below it, and usually the game is just bad from a technical standpoint which means little fun).

Also, any game that sounds unique in a fun way usually warrents me checking out, as the same old gets tiring. There's hidden gems I tell you, perfect example being Overlord. Unique game, and probably the most fun I've had on my 360.

jake_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jake_dog
Member since 2007 • 256 Posts
I typically look at the average gamer reviews - NOT the editor reviews. If 500 gamers give a game an average score of 8.0 or better, it's pretty safe to say that the game translated well with the gaming community - hence I'll pick it up. I'll also read several of the negative gamer reviews to see what people didn't like about the game.
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
I'll also read several of the negative gamer reviews to see what people didn't like about the game. jake_dog
That's a valid point. Usually, a common problem is found in the negative reviews that will give you an idea of an issue that might or might not turn you off from a game.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts

Gamespot wets my whistle, then I go to as many reviews as possible. i look for games with at least an 8.5 rating. I also look for game genres that I like playing. The player's reviews influence me the most. I mean they are the true test of a games playability. I usually do not rush out and put down 60 bucks for a game without doing the research. Research,Research, and Research!

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
I watch game play footage and read the most detailed reviewers reviews. I first check gamespot, then ign, then i read the players reviews. I prefer to see what the worst review says then i look for one just like it in order to judge weather or not the two are consistant Then i read some of the positive reviews for the game. Rarely do i try the demo. I did though for superman returns and was able to see the immediate flaws that would find their way into the actual game. So far the majority of the games in my collection are ones that i really enjoy however if im not sure about a game for example assassins creed, i buy it used and exchange it back for credit if i don't like it.
fuzz06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fuzz06
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts

I read reviews and player reviews, and watch gameplay movies. Also been looking at best buy ads lately has been a big help, bioshock was only $39 bucks a week ago (that helped a lot). More likely to do impulse buy when they on sale.

Avatar image for NatendoWhisky64
NatendoWhisky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 NatendoWhisky64
Member since 2008 • 1570 Posts

Me, anything that looks interesting. So if the cover has an awsome looking character on it, I will read the back, and if it is a deep RPG, or a good shooter I will buy it. I like other types of games too, but that was just an example. I also look for sequals to older games that I like, like Halo, COD, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, etc. I also buy games based on the amount of attention they get from other people, if only two out of a hundred people like it, chances are I'm not gonna like it. But when that's the case I buy it used first to see, then I return it for my money back.

jake_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jake_dog
Member since 2007 • 256 Posts

[QUOTE="jake_dog"]I'll also read several of the negative gamer reviews to see what people didn't like about the game. MsCortana
That's a valid point. Usually, a common problem is found in the negative reviews that will give you an idea of an issue that might or might not turn you off from a game.

Exactly, and if it's a theme found with the negative reviews, there may be something that thows up that red flag - maybe the game becomes a rental or a future used game purchase.

Hell_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hell_Dude
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
Experience with previous titles, price, reviews, will I like the game and if it's a game from a new franchise - how close it is to other games. Like, I chosed Saint's Row because it was very similar to GTA.
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

I never ever follow reviews as they seem to be incorrect most of the time to what I like or dislike in games. For instance BioShock I thought was not a great game and shouldn't have received the rating that it did, and Kane & Lynch: Dead Men is a great game and deserves a much better rating then what it received.

I seem to mainly like shooter games either first or third person, and rpgs like Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Avatar image for KaotiK_un_basic
KaotiK_un_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KaotiK_un_basic
Member since 2002 • 2128 Posts

i go by demo's mainly.

that's why it baffles me when some decide not to release a demo.. they pretty much lost atleast 1 possible sale.. why would i buy a game i've never tried, instead of buying one i liked the demo for?

i've still not played gears of war.. i hear it's great, but i keep buying other games that had good demo's instead.

cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts
i tend to read/watch the gamespot review, read up on it. if i think it looks cool, i'll buy it. obviously, this isnt foolproof, as the orange box was a massive disappointment. CoD4 was the only game that I was sold on weeks before it was out really.
Andynator_FIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Andynator_FIN
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yeah. Pretty same with me as with the previous writers.

I have to admit that hype works on me sometimes. But mostly the genre means the most. Ratings have also big meaning, but it's not something that I trust blindly. I like even some games that are rated under 8. And some top selling games doesn't interest me. Like Burnout Paradise. But when I'm interest in some game even a little bit, I check out couple reviews, see ingame screenshots and two most important: watch video footage and download the demo if available.

But if you thinking that what game you should buy next.... you are the only one who knows the best ;) Don't buy the game just because everyone else has it(but all those hit games shouldn't either be avoided... please don't get me wrong :). You decide.

tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts

If I see a game I like the look of, I'll probably come on Gamespot read up about it, watch some gameplay videos, then download the demo and see if I like it. If its a game I just like, not really want, I'll look at the achievement points too, to get an idea of if I could do it or not lolzoe256

Yep. That's listed basically every one of my reasons, but also if it;s a sequel to a game i loved huge chance i'd get it. Also, if i feel the demo didn't play the game to it's full potential, i'd try rent it.

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
a few reasons i suppose. gut feeling, if i think it sounds like an amazing game i'll buy it. if i'm not too sure about it, then i'll read reviews, watch trailers and gameplay videos, ask some of my friends who have it, stuff like that. also to the TC, in my opinion if you only get games with a 9.0 rating or higher, you're really missing out on a lot of great games.
XBadNewsX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 XBadNewsX
Member since 2004 • 1332 Posts

I buy games based on genre as if I lack that particular one.

Burnout Paradise for racing

CoD4 and Halo for FPS

Warriors Oroichi for Beat em' ups

Viva Pinata for Sim and for my girlfriend

Rock Band for Party/ Rythem game

Now I'm waiting for

DMC4 for Action/Adventure or what ever it is.

and Soul Caliber for Fighting game

This list does not include my Wii game list.

Boostd4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Boostd4
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts

I think most of the "gamers" tend to approach game selection in a very similar fashion. Word of mouth, reviews, and also to a certain degree developer tend to be the determining factors for me. Also, if it is a sequel, the quality of the rest of the series will determine if I drop my $60 or not.

As consumers we have to be a little more discriminating about our purchases simply because there is so much sloppy software out there. A couple of recent personal let downs for me were the new Soldier of Fortune and Kane & Lynch. Primarily it was SOF that had me bummed because I enjoyed the first two so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e
deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#46 deactivated-5b20ffab69a6e
Member since 2006 • 1311 Posts
Sometimes I read reviews, play demos, a friend recommend me a game. But if I know I really like a particular game then I will get it.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

Games I find interesting enough to buy or games friends reccomend.Ket87

same goes for me

ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
coin toss.
13wanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 13wanderer
Member since 2005 • 317 Posts
What ever seems like a game that I think i would enjoy. i usually ignore the reviews. (some of my favorite games get 5's and 6's).
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
In this age of downloadable demos and gameplay videos a-plenty it's alot easier than it seems, also having a friend or 2 who buys just about everything helps as well, haha.