Gamerpoints... The Choice We Were Never Given.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scriptwrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scriptwrite
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts

I believe Gamerpoints is a marketing gimmick that improves the sales of games. People are buying games (They wouldn't ordinarily buy) for the gamer points. Obviously it worked which I suppose is great for companies. You can earn up to 300 or 400 points for simply beating the game on the single player campaign, an extra hundred or so for doing it on the harder difficulty levels. Then there's the multiplayer achievements which you can't unlock in Player Matches which effectively forces us to be competitive, when personally I prefer player matches.

Then, what I've also noticed is, many people don't actually achieve the points...they get a few friends together and take shots killing one another to unlock it...how is that achieving them?

Truthfully I don't like the fact that Microsoft forced gamerpoints upon us. They should have given us a choice whether to turn them on or off have them displayed for the world to see.

What do you guys think?

kcm_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kcm_117
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

Im sorry but i think your points are a bunch of bologna, how do gamerpoints affect you at all if you dont like it? its just a number, if you take gamerscore/ achievements seriously, then good for you. If you dont like them, ignore it.

I dont think that the 'forced' anything onto us.

DestructiViper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DestructiViper
Member since 2007 • 309 Posts
This topic is stupid I think gamerpoints are great it gives more replayability to games and shows ppl what games you have completed. You need to stop chatting bull$hit lets see you do anything better and if you dont like it then just ignore it, its not hard and if you don't wanna play ranked matchs then just play player matches from wat your saying you dont care about gamerpoints so it dont concern you does it. Bless
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Of course it's a sales gimmick. Gamerpoints are pointless and only idiots believe they actually mean anything. And for those people who do care : I hope you don't mind the thousands of people who just load up gamesaves and unlock everything without doing the work.
lotr_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 lotr_2003
Member since 2003 • 2096 Posts

As long as you earn your points legitamately, you should be proud when you unlocked a hard achievement that you truly own. If you don't like the concept of achievement points, then just play the game and ignore the achievements that you unlock.

I believe achievement points add a lot of replay value to a game!

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
i use gamerpoints to challenge my self in a game , for example when i finish a game like gears it have no replayablity and if im really gonna play it i only gonna play online , but achievements makes me finish the game 3 times one of these time by dom , its the most thing that i like about this console.
UltimateRAGEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UltimateRAGEX
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
This topic is stupid I think gamerpoints are great it gives more replayability to games and shows ppl what games you have completed. You need to stop chatting bull$hit lets see you do anything better and if you dont like it then just ignore it, its not hard and if you don't wanna play ranked matchs then just play player matches from wat your saying you dont care about gamerpoints so it dont concern you does it. BlessDestructiViper
A agree with this guy, gamerpoints are good and if you don't wantpeople to see your achievements then you can go to privacy settings (on your gamercard)and set 'played games' to either friends only or blocked.
sinsalaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sinsalaca
Member since 2005 • 1070 Posts

The problem that I have with gamerscores is that people wrroy too much about them. Just look at the 360 forum board. Every week we get a handful of "no can beat my gamerscore" or "what games have easy achievements" threads. I agreethatthis was probably done in some part as a marketing ploy toget people to buy or rent more games.

The other problem I have is thatpeople seem to think that those with low gamerscores must just suck at games the games. That is not always the case. The truth is that nto everyone has the time to sit around playing games all the time. Take a game like Oblivion. I would love to sit down and be able to try and blow through the game, but I can't. Not becaused I suck at it, but because work and familyprevent me from having a lot of time the spend gaming.

Therewill always be a debate about gamerscore and achievements andpeople will always be split between those who need to geteveryGeOW achievement and those who say yeah it'd be great if I could,b ut I would rather just play the game.

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#10 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
who cares? you don't need a choice to turn them off, just don't pay attention to them.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
I think they can tell if a guy is good or not depending on what they are. If I see a guy with 30k but he plays cars POTC Open Season etc. I could care less but if I see a guy with 10k and he has achievements like 5 star everything on expert in GH or over 750 in F.E.A.R I think he deserves some respect as a gamer.
Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts

I think gamerscore is fun, it reminds me of old school arcades, trying to beat the top score, or trying to get the maximum points, not to mention it gives the game goals that wouldnt be there otherwise, extending the life of the game.

Gamerscore is here to stay.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
Yea you said yourself that they worked and people are buying more games, so why would they give you the choice. Just ignore them if you don't care for them.
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
if you dont want achievement points you can always just turn off that little thing that says achievement unlocked, then you'll never know when you got when and it wont be a part of your gaming expierence.
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
A friend of ours is doing this. He buys and rents games all the time just for points. He's playing games he wouldn't normally play just for points. He claims the points are addictive but I don't feel the same. Sure it's nice to see that little achievement pop up but I see no point in playing everything just for points.
SirMonotone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SirMonotone
Member since 2007 • 414 Posts
Well if it is just a marketing gimmick like you say (which i beleive it isnt) it worked on me! It gives me a reason to do better on my games more than ever and im now surprised that no one thought of them before microsoft.
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts

Well I don't have a beef with them. Before gamerpoints were established I'm sure all of us have bragged some point in time about our accomplishments. Be it earning the highscore in one game, getting to a secret area, special weapon, etc etc. Now achievement points just give you that opportunity to showcase your accomplishments. It's a great way to keep track of your games and to what percentage you've dominated them. You can compare and contrast with other players.

The only things I don't like about them are they do nothing more. You would think after accomplishing so much Microsoft would award us in some way. I mean, sure, they have had a few contests with Old Spice where if you earn so much in a short amount of time you have the possibility of winning certain prizes. But that's it. It'd be nice if you could earn so many gamerscore points and then possibly use them in a manner to purchase MS points to purchase more content. Sure would be nice.

That and I hate how every 12 year old brags about having points within the 12,000 range or higher and put you down because you only play so much or own so many games. I got news for you junior, some of us have lives, work jobs, pay bills,go to school, have other obligations and responsibilities. Not all of us have mommies and daddies that can easily throw away 60 bucks everyother week or month to buy a new game. Hell, some of us don't have the money to. So my only beef with them is some people take them a bit too serious. But I guess the compewtition and bragging rights come with the territory.

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
If you dont like them just ignore them thats what i do and im having much more fun now than when i was trying to get achievements.
ceelogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ceelogic
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts
i totally agree with destructviper.
--MAV3R1CK--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 --MAV3R1CK--
Member since 2006 • 9346 Posts
Honestly, if you don't like them, then don't pay any attention to it. Its fun for me thogh because it gives some games a little more replayability.
Avatar image for weinervil_basic
weinervil_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 weinervil_basic
Member since 2002 • 160 Posts
it's an evil conspiracy, these dreadful gamerpoints. RUN, get out while you can!
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
I will never play a game just for points. Every game I have played, is a game I wanted to play. For the games I play, I do try to get all achievements for because it really helps with replay value. I do agree that the system is sort of broken because people are buying junk games just for easy points. I like to get points but like I said, only in games I WANT to play.
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
They didn't force the points on you... they don't affect you in any way. I like them, they are challenging and rewarding. If you don't want to worry about it, then don't... like I said, they aren't forced on you. Just ignore them.
GrayHalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GrayHalo
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

i totally agree with you, but I'm alittle more optimistic. Gamerpoints ARE a marketing Gimmick I do realize that but its HELPED me branch out and play games I might not normally have played and on several ocassions I've found a gem that I may never have touched had it been not for a gamer score craving. I also don't let it control me, I still refuse to play sports titles and movie games (depending on what movie it was). nor do I buy games all willy nilly, I rent mostly leaving longer games like obilivion and the like for purchase.

BTW you can turn it off. just enter a cheat code but don't turn on the cheat, you'll never see an achievement notice pop up for that game again.

bluezclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bluezclue
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts
it doesnt make any difference.... but it does help sell games... especially thebad ones... how many "what is a easy 1k achievement game?" threads have u seen...i personally couldnt care for it... although since i love just finishing games.. especially the ones i dont find entertaining but have to finish since i spent money on... i let the achievements push me on...plus... gamerpoints prolly increased the xbox live membership since most games now include about half the gamerpoints for online play...i could care less for the people who do care about it... heck i could care less for anyone who doesnt... it doesnt effect my gaming...
76ers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 76ers
Member since 2005 • 4747 Posts
Remember, they did something called "Xbox Rewards" or something like that... That actually made gamerpoints a little useful and got it also got me Fusion Frenzy 2.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

I believe Gamerpoints is a marketing gimmick that improves the sales of games. People are buying games (They wouldn't ordinarily buy) for the gamer points. Obviously it worked which I suppose is great for companies. You can earn up to 300 or 400 points for simply beating the game on the single player campaign, an extra hundred or so for doing it on the harder difficulty levels. Then there's the multiplayer achievements which you can't unlock in Player Matches which effectively forces us to be competitive, when personally I prefer player matches.

Then, what I've also noticed is, many people don't actually achieve the points...they get a few friends together and take shots killing one another to unlock it...how is that achieving them?

Truthfully I don't like the fact that Microsoft forced gamerpoints upon us. They should have given us a choice whether to turn them on or off have them displayed for the world to see.

What do you guys think?

scriptwrite

umm you dont have to get them. you dont have to worry about them, now i hate cheating of every nature, wether it be modding, lag-cheating, or the real A-Holes of cheating (spawnkillers), i think strategy guides shouldnt be sold, because they too are cheating.

i take my gamerscore seriously, i dont cheat to get mine, and i dont cheat in matches just to claim im good, either you are good, or not, either you are good then or you try harder, but cheating is BS, thats why i got out of pc gamming, way too many freaking cheaters.

gamerfreak13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 gamerfreak13
Member since 2005 • 1796 Posts
To an extent, it is a marketing ploy, but I still love them!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lach0121

Remember, they did something called "Xbox Rewards" or something like that... That actually made gamerpoints a little useful and got it also got me Fusion Frenzy 2.76ers

true that, and they also stated there will be more challenges like that as well.

omus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 omus101
Member since 2006 • 1392 Posts

people don't buy games for gamerpoints, they rent them

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lach0121

I will never play a game just for points. Every game I have played, is a game I wanted to play. For the games I play, I do try to get all achievements for because it really helps with replay value. I do agree that the system is sort of broken because people are buying junk games just for easy points. I like to get points but like I said, only in games I WANT to play.-ZeRoHouR-

thats how i feel like some games i may only have like 20 gamerscore from. not because the game is too hard, please come on ive been gamming since pong. but because i just flat out didnt like the game. i have viva pinata on the way from gameznflix. not because of the achievements but because i heard it was a good relaxing game to play for all ages, and it got me curious. feel me?

Palle_10R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Palle_10R
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

i think its a great way to play with your friends, its makes it more fun...

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#34 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts
I'd like to be able to delete played games off my profile, I've had a mate come round and bring his new game, we have a quick blast around and the game remains on the gamercard and there's nothing I can do to get rid of it, same with downloaded arcade demos, I don't want a bunch of games listed on my profile when I maybe only played them for 10 minutes.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts

Remember, they did something called "Xbox Rewards" or something like that... That actually made gamerpoints a little useful and got it also got me Fusion Frenzy 2.76ers

Too bad they couldn't give us something that's worth taking the time for.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Gamerpoints are a scam, and occasionally I'm sucked into them, but at least I realize it.
eatspie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 eatspie
Member since 2006 • 1716 Posts
My god who gives a damn about gamer points this topic is a bunch of crap opinionsthat you should keep to yourself and not waste time posting
killagorilla25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killagorilla25
Member since 2006 • 379 Posts
u should be able to spend your gamerpoints on Marketplace Who agrees?
icecoldkilla78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 icecoldkilla78
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
everthing you said was already understood
-PS360-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -PS360-
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
they would get me more into gamerpoints if they had mroe rewards programs for it, and the ability to buy stuff off marketplace for all the points otherwise they are a useless gimmick that i see through everyday
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
I like achievements. I like getting them, it's fun for some reason. Not the rediculous ones that are reallly just time-consuming. But ones that involve some skill and are enjoyable doing so. I only own 2 games so I'd say they failed as a gimmick for me, but I do agree that it has probably helped sell loads of unworthy-of-purchase games.
DJ_Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ_Xbox
Member since 2004 • 691 Posts

What do you guys think?

scriptwrite

They didnt force anything on to us.
You can ignore them.
Stop complaining.

Avatar image for BigGhostrider12
BigGhostrider12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BigGhostrider12
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts
Don't we have a right to do whatever the hell we want with our games and achievements without people complaining about how dumb we are since they have a low gamerscore?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lach0121

Don't we have a right to do whatever the hell we want with our games and achievements without people complaining about how dumb we are since they have a low gamerscore?BigGhostrider12

lmao true that, i feel ya, people hate on me for my gamerscore, when i play a bunch of games. i say to hell with them. its half envy, and half ignorance.

lee7373

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lee7373
Member since 2006 • 5828 Posts

people don't buy games for gamerpoints, they rent them

omus101
No not the case with arcade games
BigGhostrider12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BigGhostrider12
I don't know how I ever was able to keep playing games back when i had an Xbox... there was nothing to drive you to play besides a rank in certain online games. Achievements are like medals you earn in games which is awesome! So what if people get together with friends to get achievements!!! It doesn't affect you in any way does it? And everyone's guilty of boosting for at least a couple of achievements since some are so absurd like in Bomberman. There's ones where you have to win a game where everyone is dressed up as a cowboy. And another is win a game full of balarinas (can't spell that word lol). So how is that going to ever happen without you joining up with friends?
BigGhostrider12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BigGhostrider12

[QUOTE="BigGhostrider12"]Don't we have a right to do whatever the hell we want with our games and achievements without people complaining about how dumb we are since they have a low gamerscore?Lach0121

lmao true that, i feel ya, people hate on me for my gamerscore, when i play a bunch of games. i say to hell with them. its half envy, and half ignorance.

Yeah i know! They look at my gamercard and assume i play all those games for gamerscore! I just like to rent a bunch of games so i can get the most out of my 360! Is that so wrong to wanna play a wide library of genres/games?

qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
im not a sore loser so it doesnt bother me!
Halo-IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Halo-IV
Member since 2003 • 285 Posts

What do you guys think?

scriptwrite

I think this is a rediculously funny post, are you on crack?

Seriously, your right there are loosers who "Cheat" or do things so that they can just get achievements. Achievements provide value to a game, and give you reason to do things. Look at GoW, the Seriously achievement has really legthened the life of the game. Now you have the new achievements in this game that you can get in player match which everyone is cheating to get and not getting legitely. I don't base achievement on gamerscore,I base it on what achievements you acctually have.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
i don't really care too much for gamerscore, i just laugh when someone brags about their gamerscore to me