First EA, Then It Was Ubisoft, Now It's THQ Charging! A New Dawn

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The dominoes, oh how they fall like.....well......dominoes lol

Soon every single company will be charging people who buy used to play online and I welcome it with open arms

I don't know why someone decided that the people who make games shouldn't get any money from it. When you buy a game from a used shop none of the money goes towards the people who made the game.

So why should these people offer online services for free as well?

EA, Ubisoft, and THQ have no problem offering online services for people who buy new, in other words people who support them. If someone buys a new game there is no extra charge at all, it's only when you buy it used that you'll be paying an extra fee.

What I find most interesting in all of this is how many people say "well I'm done buying games from these makers" and for that I have two responses

1. Why do you think that it's wrong for people to be paid for their work

and

2. Since you were buying used you already haven't been giving these companies your money for ages. They haven't missed you in the past and they're not going to start now. By someone saying "I'm not going to buy their games anymore" it means nothing since they don't see your money anyway.

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
I get new games cheap enough (Amazon) anyway so it doesn't really affect me.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jaysonguy

I get new games cheap enough (Amazon) anyway so it doesn't really affect me. Doomtime

Either way it wouldn't because you're buying new

As long as you buy new (and you know, support the company making these games) then this does not change your life at all

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
I get new games cheap enough (Amazon) anyway so it doesn't really affect me. Doomtime
Agreed...usually after a few days a new released game is out amazon has nice deals like usually 5 bucks maybe $10 dollars off...Alan wake for example is $50 bucks and its been out for 2 days
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Okay whoa. Hold on a moment. So if I buy a used game, I will have to pay an extra fee to play that used game online?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

Okay whoa. Hold on a moment. So if I buy a used game, I will have to pay an extra fee to play that used game online?

Murj

Yes, 10 dollars for EA and Ubisoft (starting in June) and then THQ is saying 5 dollars (but subject to be raised to ten as well)

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I completely support them. They aren't evil. They aren't trying to cheat us out of our money. They just want to be compensated for their hard work and dedication.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Murj

[QUOTE="Murj"]

Jaysonguy

Yes, 10 dollars for EA and Ubisoft (starting in June) and then THQ is saying 5 dollars (but subject to be raised to ten as well)

That's BS imo. I mean, they can't just find a way of charging people extra just because they're buying it used. The game has to be bought new before it can be bought used anyway so it's not like they're losing out on any money. And when I'm paying the price of a new game each year to play my games online anyway; why should I be charged more simply for the fact that I didn't buy a new copy?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Murj"]

Murj

That's BS imo. I mean, they can't just find a way of charging people extra just because they're buying it used. The game has to be bought new before it can be bought used anyway so it's not like they're losing out on any money. And when I'm paying the price of a new game each year to play my games online anyway; why should I be charged more simply for the fact that I didn't buy a new copy?

What are you talking about? How can they charge more money for used when they don't sell it used?

Also yes, SOMEONE ELSE buys that game new then they sell it to a used shop which sells it to you. That means now two customers have had a copy but the company that made the game was only paid for one. Don't you see that?

Also since you bought a used copy that made sure none of the money went to the people who made the game why do you want them to offer you online services as well for free? So you want them to get no money PLUS lose money supporting that game online?

hihatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hihatrider
Member since 2006 • 299 Posts

for it. how do they enforce it? do you have to register the game to a system or gamertag? does this mean i couldn't take a copy of a game over to a friend's house and get online with it?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

for it. how do they enforce it? do you have to register the game to a system or gamertag? does this mean i couldn't take a copy of a game over to a friend's house and get online with it?

hihatrider

It's linked to the gamertag so if you're signed on somewhere else you're still able to play online.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's called, THE FIGHT AGAINST PIRACY!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

It's called, THE FIGHT AGAINST PIRACY!

LegatoSkyheart

Nope, that's something else

hihatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hihatrider
Member since 2006 • 299 Posts

[QUOTE="hihatrider"]

Jaysonguy

It's linked to the gamertag so if you're signed on somewhere else you're still able to play online.

can you transport your gamertag any way besides buying a ridiculous memory card? it would be nice if you could sign in to your gamertag account from any xbox in the same way you can sign into facebook from any computer... i'v been out of the loop for a while so this might be possible.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="hihatrider"]

hihatrider

can you transport your gamertag any way besides buying a ridiculous memory card? it would be nice if you could sign in to your gamertag account from any xbox in the same way you can sign into facebook from any computer... i'v been out of the loop for a while so this might be possible.

You can do it online or you can use a thumb drive

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Murj

[QUOTE="Murj"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

What are you talking about? How can they charge more money for used when they don't sell it used?

Also yes, SOMEONE ELSE buys that game new then they sell it to a used shop which sells it to you. That means now two customers have had a copy but the company that made the game was only paid for one. Don't you see that?

Also since you bought a used copy that made sure none of the money went to the people who made the game why do you want them to offer you online services as well for free? So you want them to get no money PLUS lose money supporting that game online?

About the online thing, I've already paid for the right to play whatever game I want online. Handing me an extra charge to play it online is unjust. It's not my fault if these companies aren't making enough money off their product, so instead of charging people money to play these extra games online they try and provide more incentive for people to buy the newer copies? Be it lower prices, exclusive DLC codes or whathaveyou.

In today's climate, people are buying used games because they're cheaper. And new games for 360 and PS3 always start out being too expensive and for titles that sell stupidly well like MW2, the prices don't drop very often. Making people pay this charge for used games to go online then will not make people buy the newer version straight away as it will most likely be too steeply priced. They'll likely be left selling the same amount of new games and having a smaller community in their online play. They could also lose money through the amount of people who would buy DLC. Obviously, the less people who buy the game used or not, the less people who buy DLC for that game.

That's just my take on it, I wish I could stay up longer to debate my point but I have to get up for work soon lol. I'll respond to you again when I'm awake.

Edit: Sorry about the wall, it didnt look like that before I clicked submit. Meh.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

Hopefully they start charging to access online for everyone new or used, i mean what better way to accommodate server demand by knowing who actually wants to play online... plus it will save and make companies way more money.

piercetruth34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 piercetruth34
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

I completely support them. They aren't evil. They aren't trying to cheat us out of our money. They just want to be compensated for their hard work and dedication.

Phoenix534

yes selling a game twice isn't good enough. let's milk the gamer even more who has nothing to do with what gamestop is doing. Are people like you even able to say these things with a straight face? Do you also support gamestop and the consumer for their hard work and dedication? As we all know EA is really living out of a cardboard box these days and don't make nearly enough money. M$ is also really slumming it charging for live and all as it is. I pay for the internet. I pay for live. I'm not paying $10 more to play a game i paid $60 that is advertised to work online. Sry. What these corporations are trying to do is put everyone else in the poorhouse except themselves. What needs to happen is EA needs to go and there needs to be more independant development and get rid of these ****

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Anybody that thinks this is bad is looking at it the wrong way. What will happen is that used game stores like Gamestop will be forced to reduce their outrageous used game prices. I never understood why people would even bother saving $5 on a relatively new used game.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
can you blame them?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

You can buy and resell everything in life as many times as you want. Why do videogames have to be different? I find this bogus. I don't buy a lot of used games, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer apart from a few games so it doesn't effect me too much but it is pretty ridiculous.white_sox

In order to see a new film release, you have to shell out around 10 bucks, give or take depending on where you live. In order to make back money, the various film companies have X amount of time of being exclusive to a first run theater. After that period, the films are shipped to second run theaters. It's almost the same thing. Would you rather have it this way: Say your friend buys Halo: Reach, where he has full access to all the games features. Then, you happen to find a used copy 3 days later because a sony fanboy didn't like it, but since you bought it used, you couldn't play online for 4 months.

H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

all this does is make Gamestop change their policies(Gamestop sucks anyways)

and it encourages people to buy new, even more so then before

not a big deal people, move along

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="white_sox"]You can buy and resell everything in life as many times as you want. Why do videogames have to be different? I find this bogus. I don't buy a lot of used games, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer apart from a few games so it doesn't effect me too much but it is pretty ridiculous.white_sox

In order to see a new film release, you have to shell out around 10 bucks, give or take depending on where you live. In order to make back money, the various film companies have X amount of time of being exclusive to a first run theater. After that period, the films are shipped to second run theaters. It's almost the same thing. Would you rather have it this way: Say your friend buys Halo: Reach, where he has full access to all the games features. Then, you happen to find a used copy 3 days later because a sony fanboy didn't like it, but since you bought it used, you couldn't play online for 4 months.

What are you going on about? I consider my reading comprehension to be at least average and I have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm saying videogames are no different than other forms of entertainment. Games have become a huge business. The amount of money it costs to create a game and put it to the market is a lot more than it used to be. While corporations are pretty louzy for the most part, there is still a thing called workers rights. Would you rather the game developing grunts take a pay cut?

Avatar image for hunterallen2010
hunterallen2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hunterallen2010
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

It is just the new age of fees for everything. I understand why they do it and in the end I support it.

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
What the hell is next pay $2 to get past the main menu?
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I do the same
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

My problem with EA doing this is that they shut down servers for older games. So now if you buy the game used and then pay for the online it can and most certainly will be shut down in the future. Then again I just have a problem with them shutting down servers period.

Oh well, I am happy about this because I am sure used game prices will go down. Plus in EA's case (until they start doing this with all games) I never play sports games online so I still would never buy new.

Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

Console prices are a monopoly already, $65 per new game (1/3 the price of the console itself mind you) is ridiculous and many people will not spend that kind of money so they have to buy used but will not even do that if the extra charge is outrageous. I accept something like $5 price to activate it for online play but anymore is just greedy. If the used game is selling for very cheap then adding an extra activation fee should not be an issued if your already getting the game for next to nothing.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Anybody that thinks this is bad is looking at it the wrong way. What will happen is that used game stores like Gamestop will be forced to reduce their outrageous used game prices. I never understood why people would even bother saving $5 on a relatively new used game.

Heirren

Well wouldnt the cost of online since its used offset any price drop GS would set.

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

Hmmm... let's see. So, I have to buy the game ($45-$55 for a used recent game @ Gamestop), pay for XBox Live ($50 per year), pay for online access for the game ($5-$10), and then pay for things that should have been in the original game otherwise known as DLC ($10 or more, sometimes multiple times depending on how much DLC content is released). Yes, it sure does seem that the corporations just want their fair share. *sarcasm*

I don't even buy used games ever (unless it's for a previous gen and I can't find a new copy), but I still don't like where this is all going.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

A little diagram explaining how revenue is lost from the parent companies. The red box symbolises who is actually taking part in the transaction and the flow of funds

Preowned

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

Seriously this just seems so stupid too me since were already paying for xbox live to play online I don't see why we have to pay an extra $10 to have to play a used game online. Does anybody else feel like me?

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts

We've already had a thread about this for EA charging, so why bring it up again when the exact same things are going be argued over again?

Oh and I still strongly disagree with your opinion and think you need to do some research.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

We've already had a thread about this for EA charging, so why bring it up again when the exact same things are going be argued over again?

Oh and I still strongly disagree with your opinion and think you need to do some research.

callsignneptune

research relating to what?

and this is an expanded thread now that other companies have caught on...

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

I'm highly surprised the companies haven't been locking games to specific Live/PSN accounts. If the game is detected on another system by an online Live/PSN server, it must have the game's owners account on that system in order to be played. A system that is offline won't have this issue, but if it's offline, it of course won't have the benefit of any online play.

Supposedly Sony developed a form of disc DRM a while back that makes a disc completely unplayable on any other machine once activated and tied to the first machine. I would assume the disc is given some form of physical change IE the disc is put into the machine, a long inner bar code is read off the very center of the disc, and registered with the system to know the disc is activated with that system. The disc drive with a built in laser burner then physically burns off the barcode and uses the same activation code stored somewhere on the disc (perhaps an outer bar code) as a verfication that the disc indeed belongs to a particular system. Basically the system would function as such when a disc is inserted:

I. Looks for inner bar code
a. If it is intact, it is read and secondary outer bar code is verified as the same code. When verified, the system interprets the game "Unactivated"andproceeds to register the game + unique code to the system. When complete, laser burner burns off the inner barcode to physically mark the disc as activated and registered.
b. If inner bar code is burned off, system checks outer bar code as to belonging to the system
1. If registered with system, disc is loaded and played
2. If not registered with system, disc is not loaded, seen as activated on another system

Code DRM + Physical DRM would be the only way to make such a thing work. Even still it could be hacked but it would be very difficult, especially if the firmware for reading and activating the bar code is directly built into the disc player/reader. Codes would be stored first in the disc drives own flash memory bank, then to the main storage system and lastly with Sony's own network.

Wow I feel evil just conjuring up this whole scheme :twisted: While I do support the ability to resale items, at least physically recorded and accessible data like books, software isn't physically accessible. It also cost's high amounts of money to develop of course, unlike most books which are a bit expensive to produce, but royalties only to go the author(s) and the publisher. The risks involved with not making a profit are not as bad as with software.

HughDawg03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 HughDawg03
Member since 2003 • 158 Posts

*Note: Something is up with the HTML, so I have to post this in a two part response*

Part 1

Alright, I definitely see where you're coming from. I think people should get paid for their hard work, yes. I think online service charges aren't too bad, seeing as how I pay to play Live anyways. However, you have a few flaws in your argument. You say:

Since you were buying used you already haven't been giving these companies your money for ages. They haven't missed you in the past and they're not going to start now. By someone saying "I'm not going to buy their games anymore" it means nothing since they don't see your money anyway.

Jasonguy

but then you argue that people should have to pay for online services when they buy used games. Okay, well, if they "haven't missed you in the past and they're not going to start now," why would they all of the sudden need to start charging used buyers for online services? If they haven't "seen [their] money anyways," why do they all of the sudden need to start seeing it now? The video game industry makes over 20 billion a year overall, so I think everyone is more than compensated for their work.

HughDawg03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 HughDawg03
Member since 2003 • 158 Posts

Part 2

Also, you say:

Jasonguy

Well, okay, fair enough. They don't see any money from having their game sold used, but a whole lot of other industries don't either. In fact, several other industries are hurt far worse than the video games industry by this. For instance, take the music industry: one person buys an album and within days potentially thousands of people have it for free. This isn't so easy with video games (for the time being, although it does happen with PC quite often), so, in reality, "used games" really don't hurt that much, if at all (seeing as how they don't see this "money anyways," nor have they ever).

Speaking as someone who plays video games and would like to potentially work as a designer for a game company, I can also say I know how expensive games can get. Luckily, I've had a lot of bad run-ins with used software, so I don't buy it. That, however, does not change the fact that games are still incredibly expensive. I've sought out a lot of other solutions, the best one being to buy games from Amazon, which several people have already mentioned. The video game industry makes a TON of money from each game, even if it isn't popular. If used games are really such an issue, I guarantee you they'll say something about used games in particular. The music industry took a stand against Napster when it was first out and I'm sure the video game industry will fight a potential problem as well. Also, as a pre-emptive strike against something you may raise, these "online service fees" are not a response to some sort of "used video game issue." Really all they're trying to do is what everyone else is trying to do and that's to make more money. The hot topic within the past few months is downloadable content already being on the disk, yet still having to pay for it (Bioshock 2 multiplayer characters for instance). Its all just another way to make money. I personally don't support used games, but I don't think someone who is already on a budget crunch and has to resort to used games should have to dish out more cash just to play their game in full.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

This severely hurts the consumer and I don't see how anyone could defend it. The game companies do not have any right to control their product after they sell it. Once ownership of the game is transfered to me, I own it. If I want to sell it I may, and if someone wants to buy it used they may. Every product has a secondhand market - games should be no different. Why these companies are so arrogant is beyond me. I am glad to see that some people feel this way.

Killing the used game market will hurt gaming. No need to explain this one.

The game industry needs to take a page out of the movie industry's book: In the late 90's the DVD format was chosen as the successor to VHS because they could be competitively priced to compete with the used movie market. Game prices NEED to drop; the vast majority of games out there are not worth $60.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#41 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
It's kinda lame but I don't blame them.
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
You can buy and resell everything in life as many times as you want. Why do videogames have to be different? I find this bogus. I don't buy a lot of used games, and I don't play a lot of multiplayer apart from a few games so it doesn't effect me too much but it is pretty ridiculous.white_sox
Yeah I feel ya man. I don't play online anymore, but I buy most of my games new when they're cheaper. I think this is bogus though.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I'm surprised other companies are jumping on the bandwagon when it hasn't shown that it works. For all they know it could blow up in their face. The funny thing is they believe this will force people into buying the game new, but in reality it moves people away from the series losing future potential customers. Also since you cant trade in SvR 20 and whatever number its up to for next year, people may not buy next years version. Because a game where half the content is locked on a used game has no value, so people cant sell it to buy the next game in the annual series. Of all companies to try and pull this nonsense. EA and THQ which live on the annual franchise amazes me. This will blow up in their face. The reason they struggle is because they are so shortsighted and look for these quick fixes to try and make more money out of sheer greed. That's right greed. I will love to see this plan fall flat on its face when people don't buy Madden because they have to pay the full price instead of trading in last years version.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

This severely hurts the consumer and I don't see how anyone could defend it. The game companies do not have any right to control their product after they sell it. Once ownership of the game is transfered to me, I own it. If I want to sell it I may, and if someone wants to buy it used they may. Every product has a secondhand market - games should be no different. Why these companies are so arrogant is beyond me. I am glad to see that some people feel this way.

Killing the used game market will hurt gaming. No need to explain this one.

The game industry needs to take a page out of the movie industry's book: In the late 90's the DVD format was chosen as the successor to VHS because they could be competitively priced to compete with the used movie market. Game prices NEED to drop; the vast majority of games out there are not worth $60.

limpbizkit818
This. Myself and my fiancee often buy DVDs and the prices on new copies, even a few weeks after initial release are entirely reasonable. I therefore have no problem buying new where DVDs are concerned and will often pay just a few pounds more so I can have a shiny, sealed copy. But game prices? Sure they drop after a few weeks as with everything else but the prices are still sky high, which only encourages me to look to the used game market in order to make a substantial saving. I have no problem buying new but when prices are unreasonable, I will buy at the cheapest price, user or not. And like you said, killing the used game market will hurt gaming. I know of lots of people who buy used copies of games cheap and then go on to buy the sequel etc brand new. This is absolutely the wrong way to go about taking on the used game market. It punishes people who try to make savings. And also, these arguments that EA etc are just trying to make back their hard earned cash? When a game is traded in and becomes used, it has already initially been bought new at one point. The company has already made their money on that game. That is a sale, end of. Don't try and make out like these companies are hard up. Their profits, especially where EA are concerned, are in the billions. BILLIONS! It's not like these are poor little independent companies just trying to scrape a living, unlike, oh, the majority of common consumers who actually buy their games. And people are actually applauding this scheme? Makes no sense to me.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Phoenix534

I'm so happy you guys are supporting this..because when this runs dry you'll get another knock at the door with something else (screwing over the ones who buy new) < will be next. I don't support it, because the people that rent games get effected and the value of trading your games in when you're done will surely decrease in value.

I predict lesser people to find online in multiplayer, because a large portion of people who remain online/in multiplayer tend to be the ones that buy used or rent their games. Maybe you guys like empty lobby's?

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

[QUOTE="callsignneptune"]

chaoscougar1

research relating to what?

and this is an expanded thread now that other companies have caught on...

This entire arguement is old now. Okay, other companies are following suit. All the people with any common sense said this would happen in the very first thread. I said this would happen 2 years ago. The lines are drawn and people are going to stand on one side or the other. Nothing said here is going to sway any opinions. As for me, I will buy every game new that I had previously intended to buy. Which is between 3-6 a year. I buy many used games, and that will slow down because I won't support these companies in any form from now on if they aren't going to let me use their services.

All that it comes down to for me is that someone has already paid for the said game, therefore, THE COMPANY HAS ALREADY PROIFITED OFF OF THE GAME. They do not deserve to profit 2 or more times off of any one game. That is not the way economics is meant to work, and in the end this WILL fail. People like me will stop playing used games like Mass Effect 1, and therefore not purchase Mass Effect 2. I will stop buying games like Borderlands used, and therefore the company will make $0 off of DLC and expansions.

If I buy a 2 month old television off of my neigbor and he gives me the sales reciept and warranty info then I own the warranty to that television. The company will support the television because I can then prove that this television was paid for. That is all that matters. Every gun I own except one has been used. The companies support life-time warranties on almost every gun I own, used or not, receipt or not. I have sent guns to be repaired back to the factory when I was probably the 4th or 5th owner, and there is never a question asked. The only reason the rules are changed for video games is because A. Microsot and Sony are going to let them get away with it. And B. Because your Xbox and Playstation are connected to the internet and they have an unfortunate means to pull something like this off.

I'm only stating the facts, and if you have a differing opinion that's fine with me, I really don't care. But I'll be there to say I told you so when they drop this policy very soon, or don't blame me when we get the 2nd video game crash. You can only disrespect people for so long before they lose interest completely.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Soon every single company will be charging people who buy used to play online and I welcome it with open arms

I don't know how it will work for people with multiple gamertags/PSN or people playing on the same but other than that I have no problem with it either.
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

This is bad since I mostly buy used games(And I only buynew when its a game that i absolutely want)

TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts

looks like GameFly people are f'd.

Sylarhiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sylarhiro
Member since 2009 • 93 Posts

Why do so many people have a problem with game developers and publishers protecting their own investments??

I totally understand why the companies already named are trying to get something back for their products from the Pre-Owned market, as it stand they currently make almost zero from the pre-owned side of the gaming market, only DLC content purchased will give them anything, so why not ensure you get the rightful money from a sale of their game

I get that some gamers cant afford to buy new, with trade ins the price can come down, but if you want to play certain games then sometimes you do have to pay for it, or accept that you wont have the full content of it, like others who paid the full price get accesss to

Why should I pay for a game for its features, then have someone else pay half of what i did some weeks later for the same content.....balance is everything, I for one have problem with companies protecting their investment