First EA, Then It Was Ubisoft, Now It's THQ Charging! A New Dawn

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Admittedly, I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have made this point already, but look at this: the publisher prints a game disc. They sell this disc, and user #1has paid for it. At this point, user #1 OWNS the disc to do as he pleases with it; play it, put drinks on top of it to prevent an unsightly watermark on his coffee table, throw it in the dishwasher, or sell it. The game no longer belongs to the publisher. They made their money on that disc. They are essentially trying to make money on a product that they NO LONGER OWN.El_Zo1212o

Know what they don't own?

The online service

No one is saying someone can't sell what they own, no one but the publishers own the online services

So if someone wants to buy used pony up 10 bucks so you can use someone else's online services

franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

I buy my games new anyway, unless its some game that I over looked and Im pickin it up yrs later at a very low price, if so Im sure the online is dead anyway.

I can see why they are doing this, theysee the money being made by places like Gamestop and they want in.They got paid already, somebody had to buy it new for it to be used.

I buy Madden new and become a gamer on their server, they get paid. Now I turn around and sell the game to my friend and he takes my place on the online server. they have already been paid and there is still one person for that copy of Madden using online server. How does that hurt them? It doesnt they just want some of that money.

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#103 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Admittedly, I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have made this point already, but look at this: the publisher prints a game disc. They sell this disc, and user #1has paid for it. At this point, user #1 OWNS the disc to do as he pleases with it; play it, put drinks on top of it to prevent an unsightly watermark on his coffee table, throw it in the dishwasher, or sell it. The game no longer belongs to the publisher. They made their money on that disc. They are essentially trying to make money on a product that they NO LONGER OWN.Jaysonguy

The online service

No one is saying someone can't sell what they own, no one but the publishers own the online services

So if someone wants to buy used pony up 10 bucks so you can use someone else's online services

I really hope you don't end up making business decisions for publishers. I have the sneaking suspicion you'd have gamers paying through the nose to play games. Lets not charge the gamer for everything.

What next: charge for a code to activate the game? Charge to unlock the last few levels?

I buy my games new (unless it's an old game) and I have little problem paying for DLC, Xbox live, themes etc etc - but please, they're trying to get every last penny out of us. Yet they make a decent profit when they make a marketable game (refer to MW2), and from other deals and advertising they make plenty before they even sell a single copy of said game. They make money on the initial purchase. Lets not pretend the preowned market is leaving them in the gutter. After all, we have just seen a billion-dollar game...

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
[QUOTE="franky_babylon"]

I buy my games new anyway, unless its some game that I over looked and Im pickin it up yrs later at a very low price, if so Im sure the online is dead anyway.

I can see why they are doing this, theysee the money being made by places like Gamestop and they want in.They got paid already, somebody had to buy it new for it to be used.

I buy Madden new and become a gamer on their server, they get paid. Now I turn around and sell the game to my friend and he takes my place on the online server. they have already been paid and there is still one person for that copy of Madden using online server. How does that hurt them? It doesnt they just want some of that money.

No one who supports this will answer what you are saying here because it's the bottom line. They argue and bicker about what ifs and things that have little meaning. But in the end, yes, one person already payed for the game. The company made profit from this transaction, and now they want to profit multiple times. The supporters liken playing used games to piracy but it's totally the opposite. If one person were buying the game new and copying it for 4 friends yes I see a problem, but one person is buying the game and only one person will be using the service. This makes common sense and no one can come with any arguement to counteract it. That is why this will fail or bring doom to the game industry.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Admittedly, I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have made this point already, but look at this: the publisher prints a game disc. They sell this disc, and user #1has paid for it. At this point, user #1 OWNS the disc to do as he pleases with it; play it, put drinks on top of it to prevent an unsightly watermark on his coffee table, throw it in the dishwasher, or sell it. The game no longer belongs to the publisher. They made their money on that disc. They are essentially trying to make money on a product that they NO LONGER OWN.Jaysonguy

The online service

If that's the case, why the hell do we pay for xbox live?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Jaysonguy

one person is buying the game and only one person will be using the service.billyd5301

100% incorrect (I was going to say wrong but you are a Game Room fan too so I went easy lol)

When the first person buys a game new they get the pass for free so they go on and sign in and all that jazz for the game. They now have a username that's associated with the account and they have that tied in with all their DLC and records and stats and leagues everything these services offer.

Now they play their game and sell it to a store so the second person buys it used

Now we have the publisher keeping tracks of all the first person's information and then they're also asked to maintain someone else's account for free as well? And if that's sold and bought again now we have three.

For the sake of argument let's just say that all used games only switch hands once, that means that the publisher is using their online service keeping usernames/DLC/stats/records all on their servers for two people when only one person has given them money for the game.

So no, it's not just one person using the service at any time

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Admittedly, I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have made this point already, but look at this: the publisher prints a game disc. They sell this disc, and user #1has paid for it. At this point, user #1 OWNS the disc to do as he pleases with it; play it, put drinks on top of it to prevent an unsightly watermark on his coffee table, throw it in the dishwasher, or sell it. The game no longer belongs to the publisher. They made their money on that disc. They are essentially trying to make money on a product that they NO LONGER OWN.El_Zo1212o

The online service

Live has nothing to do with these games

Why do you think it does?

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="white_sox"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

In order to see a new film release, you have to shell out around 10 bucks, give or take depending on where you live. In order to make back money, the various film companies have X amount of time of being exclusive to a first run theater. After that period, the films are shipped to second run theaters. It's almost the same thing. Would you rather have it this way: Say your friend buys Halo: Reach, where he has full access to all the games features. Then, you happen to find a used copy 3 days later because a sony fanboy didn't like it, but since you bought it used, you couldn't play online for 4 months.

Heirren

What are you going on about? I consider my reading comprehension to be at least average and I have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm saying videogames are no different than other forms of entertainment. Games have become a huge business. The amount of money it costs to create a game and put it to the market is a lot more than it used to be. While corporations are pretty louzy for the most part, there is still a thing called workers rights. Would you rather the game developing grunts take a pay cut?

Why do you assume that developers should make any money out of a used game sale - they shouldn't - just like with the used market for every other product.

I buy a used car, I don't pay the original manufacturer a fee or % cut - I pay the previous owner. In the case of games the previous owner is either a store or an individual through sites like ebay. Games developers aren't some special case that because they created something they should have perpetual rights over it every time a copy gets sold.

And to raise another point - as 360 gamers if we buy one of these products used, we end up paying double to play online as we have to pay for both Live and the Online Pass. If you only have Live but no Online Pass you can't play online. If you have an Online Pass but not Gold Live you can't play online.Why should we get charged twice for access to the same part of the game?

Atleast with MMOs on 360 that are subscription based the cost is entirely independent of the cost of Live - you pay the fee you get to play that game online regardless of your Live status. Should it not follow that by paying for an Online Pass you should be allowed to play that game online regardless of Gold/Silve Live?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The online service

Jaysonguy

scratch that, it was a hot headed repsonse. See billyd5301's response for my reasoning. But your response to him is invalid, because when user1 sells the game, they are no longer using the online service. In fact, this system will only create a new form of piracy where if user1 buys the game on launch day but doesn't play online, he can sell his code to someone else for a cheaper price because he never registered the code.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 billyd5301

[QUOTE="billyd5301"]one person is buying the game and only one person will be using the service.Jaysonguy

100% incorrect (I was going to say wrong but you are a Game Room fan too so I went easy lol)

When the first person buys a game new they get the pass for free so they go on and sign in and all that jazz for the game. They now have a username that's associated with the account and they have that tied in with all their DLC and records and stats and leagues everything these services offer.

Now they play their game and sell it to a store so the second person buys it new

Now we have the publisher keeping tracks of all the first person's information and then they're also asked to maintain someone else's account for free as well? And if that's sold and bought again now we have three.

For the sake of argument let's just say that all used games only switch hands once, that means that the publisher is using their online service keeping usernames/DLC/stats/records all on their servers for two people when only one person has given them money for the game.

Haha, well this is a good try I will give you that. But it's not like anyone is maintaining these numbers on leaderboards. You don't have people being paid to sit in a room sorting out stats to tell you who the number one player is. You are maybe using up 5kb worth of space to put someones name and stats on a page, which at the going rate on hard drive space is less than a penny. If this was really for that purpose there would be extremely quick fixes for this at extremely little cost. If they were trying to charge something like $1.00 and putting codes on the actual discs it would be one thing. So if I buy Battlefield BC 2 used, and I put my code in and it sees that it is in a new Xbox and comes up and said "Are you the new owner of this software? Yes No". Okay then I pay my dollar to switch it, fine whatever. But they aren't asking for a dollar to provide a service. They are asking for $10 (as far as I am aware) for virutally nothing at all. The $10 off of every used sale is clearly a way to profit multiple times off of one game, not a means of collecting back lost money, because they probably spend more on donuts than it costs to display stats.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="billyd5301"]one person is buying the game and only one person will be using the service.billyd5301

Now they play their game and sell it to a store so the second person buys it new

Haha, well this is a good try I will give you that. But it's not like anyone is maintaining these numbers on leaderboards. You don't have people being paid to sit in a room sorting out stats to tell you who the number one player is. You are maybe using up 5kb worth of space to put someones name and stats on a page, which at the going rate on hard drive space is less than a penny. If this was really for that purpose there would be extremely quick fixes for this at extremely little cost. If they were trying to charge something like $1.00 and putting codes on the actual discs it would be one thing. So if I buy Battlefield BC 2 used, and I put my code in and it sees that it is in a new Xbox and comes up and said "Are you the new owner of this software? Yes No". Okay then I pay my dollar to switch it, fine whatever. But they aren't asking for a dollar to provide a service. They are asking for $10 (as far as I am aware) for virutally nothing at all. The $10 off of every used sale is clearly a way to profit multiple times off of one game, not a means of collecting back lost money, because they probably spend more on donuts than it costs to display stats.

The argument about developers having to maintain servers, and those having costs is more an issue to do with how Live is setup than justifying this extra charge.

Microsoft chose to setup Live in such a way that instead of customers being charged by each publisher to use online in their games, MS chose to have a centralised charge for online - Gold Live subscription. MS host servers that companies can rent to have their games on. If they choose to setup their own servers, then so be it, but to do so they must think it is more cost effective than using the MS ones. It shouldn't grant them the right to charge more because of their decision.

If publishers are allowed to break away and start charging what they want for each game then it totally undermines the principle of paying for a Gold Live account.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 billyd5301
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

If that's the case, why the hell do we pay for xbox live?El_Zo1212o

scratch that, it was a hot headed repsonse. See billyd5301's response for my reasoning. But your response to him is invalid, because when user1 sells the game, they are no longer using the online service. In fact, this system will only create a new form of piracy where if user1 buys the game on launch day but doesn't play online, he can sell his code to someone else for a cheaper price because he never registered the code.

I never really thought of this... But it is very interesting. I buy Madden new every year because I am a football fan, but to be honest I only play 5-6 games online before I run into losers and quitters and go back to single player. So what is to stop me from selling my code for $5 on Ebay? That certainly isn't illegal, it is not registered to my name. So I got $5 my game, and who bought my code? Was it someone who bought the game used for $40? EA makes no money off of it now anyways. Or was it a pirate who downloaded the game? In that case EA made $0 off of the game anyway, and the pirate now has a means to play his free game on the servers. I will bet you will start seeing these pop up like crazy because there are a lot of games that people do not buy to play online. I have stacks of games that I have never tried to play online. This is just more proof that A. EA is not going to profit off of this B. It is going to discourage a lot of people from buying sequels and buying DLC. And C. It is going to anger the customer base with now even more to have to consider when you buy a freaking video GAME.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 billyd5301
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]

[QUOTE="billyd5301"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The argument about developers having to maintain servers, and those having costs is more an issue to do with how Live is setup than justifying this extra charge.

Microsoft chose to setup Live in such a way that instead of customers being charged by each publisher to use online in their games, MS chose to have a centralised charge for online - Gold Live subscription. MS host servers that companies can rent to have their games on. If they choose to setup their own servers, then so be it, but to do so they must think it is more cost effective than using the MS ones. It shouldn't grant them the right to charge more because of their decision.

If publishers are allowed to break away and start charging what they want for each game then it totally undermines the principle of paying for a Gold Live account.

I totally see what you are saying, and totally agree with you 100%. In fact when this came up a few weeks ago I was questioning why MS had not stepped in on this and stopped it. Because in the end it will hurt MS more than the company doing it. MS will start losing money from DLC, and probably some Live subscriptions in there. Let's face it, there are a chunk of people that only play cheap used games. Less than $15 in many cases. When those people are not able to play online or download DLC they are probably going to scrap their Live subscription instead of starting to pay $60 for every game they buy. So while I agree with you, I think it MS owes everyone an explaination of their stance on this matter.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE=Avenger1324] What are you going on about? I consider my reading comprehension to be at least average and I have no clue what you are talking about.

I'm saying videogames are no different than other forms of entertainment. Games have become a huge business. The amount of money it costs to create a game and put it to the market is a lot more than it used to be. While corporations are pretty louzy for the most part, there is still a thing called workers rights. Would you rather the game developing grunts take a pay cut?

Why do you assume that developers should make any money out of a used game sale - they shouldn't - just like with the used market for every other product.

I buy a used car, I don't pay the original manufacturer a fee or % cut - I pay the previous owner. In the case of games the previous owner is either a store or an individual through sites like ebay. Games developers aren't some special case that because they created something they should have perpetual rights over it every time a copy gets sold.

And to raise another point - as 360 gamers if we buy one of these products used, we end up paying double to play online as we have to pay for both Live and the Online Pass. If you only have Live but no Online Pass you can't play online. If you have an Online Pass but not Gold Live you can't play online.Why should we get charged twice for access to the same part of the game?

Atleast with MMOs on 360 that are subscription based the cost is entirely independent of the cost of Live - you pay the fee you get to play that game online regardless of your Live status. Should it not follow that by paying for an Online Pass you should be allowed to play that game online regardless of Gold/Silver Live?

quoted for truth. The next question becomes what happens when publishers start charging a yearly subscription to play any aspect of the game? That's the next step along the slippery slope you fellows are supporting.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="billyd5301"][QUOTE="franky_babylon"]

No one who supports this will answer what you are saying here because it's the bottom line. They argue and bicker about what ifs and things that have little meaning. But in the end, yes, one person already payed for the game. The company made profit from this transaction, and now they want to profit multiple times. The supporters liken playing used games to piracy but it's totally the opposite. If one person were buying the game new and copying it for 4 friends yes I see a problem, but one person is buying the game and only one person will be using the service. This makes common sense and no one can come with any arguement to counteract it. That is why this will fail or bring doom to the game industry.

FYI, Profit =/= Revenue
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

It sucks for those used games that have a larger distance between new and used, but generally the gap is pretty small so I'd just buy new. I'v e been going to best buy anyways.

Innocentguy757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118 Innocentguy757
Member since 2004 • 5410 Posts
What about the people that buy it off of other people? I should have the right to sell my property to someone else if I so please. I can do it with everything else why should videogames be different.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
What about the people that buy it off of other people? I should have the right to sell my property to someone else if I so please. I can do it with everything else why should videogames be different.Innocentguy757
you sure do, but now the person you sell it to will also have to pay a fee. so you might want to lower your prices :P
SEANSEXYUNDIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#120 SEANSEXYUNDIES
Member since 2008 • 1489 Posts
You guys have to remember that video game devs are losing alot of money to used game sales, If you guys love there games and want to see them continue to make them you can't be upset when they are trying to keep there loses to a minimum.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 El_Zo1212o
You guys have to remember that video game devs are losing alot of money to used game sales, If you guys love there games and want to see them continue to make them you can't be upset when they are trying to keep there loses to a minimum.SEANSEXYUNDIES
this isn't a developer issue, this is a publisher issue. And the publishers are hardly strapped for cash. I hardly think the publishers are looking out for the developers' financial interest, either. More new copies sold is more royalties the publisher pays to the developer, so it begs the question: are the developers going to be getting a cut of the sales for EA's Online Pass?
bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 bssauter13
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts

i don't support it at all, my brother n I share games on different consoles so one of us is going to have to pay $10 per title we both play on-line.

soon they r going to do this with cars to force you to buy a new one or pay a fee to use all the features in the car.

For example, if the new price of the car is $30,000, someone pays that much and then a year or two later they decide to get a different car and trade it in. Someone else comes by and buys it for $20,000, but in order for the stereo/navigation to work you have to pay another $5,000 for it, but you get a 7 day trial for it. Its the same thing that EA is doing just for video games instead of cars.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="Murj"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Yes, 10 dollars for EA and Ubisoft (starting in June) and then THQ is saying 5 dollars (but subject to be raised to ten as well)

Jaysonguy

That's BS imo. I mean, they can't just find a way of charging people extra just because they're buying it used. The game has to be bought new before it can be bought used anyway so it's not like they're losing out on any money. And when I'm paying the price of a new game each year to play my games online anyway; why should I be charged more simply for the fact that I didn't buy a new copy?

What are you talking about? How can they charge more money for used when they don't sell it used?

Also yes, SOMEONE ELSE buys that game new then they sell it to a used shop which sells it to you. That means now two customers have had a copy but the company that made the game was only paid for one. Don't you see that?

Also since you bought a used copy that made sure none of the money went to the people who made the game why do you want them to offer you online services as well for free? So you want them to get no money PLUS lose money supporting that game online?

Maybe they should just lower development costs so the games are incredibly profitable? Theres no reason why they can't do that, infact they should want to cut spending, and what about single player games? If Mass Effect 3 has no MP, how is EA going to stop used sales there?

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

You guys have to remember that video game devs are losing alot of money to used game sales, If you guys love there games and want to see them continue to make them you can't be upset when they are trying to keep there loses to a minimum.SEANSEXYUNDIES

No electronic industry is immune to used sales and games aren't any different. or else the major phone carriers would hate Cricket Wireless.

This will not hurt used games sales at all.

If publishers really want us to buy new, sell games for less, cut development costs (no game should cost more than $10 million-$20 million) among other things

I'm sorry EA doesn't have the talented devs to make quality games like World of Goo, sold at a cheap price with a $12,000 budget, that profited 2D Boy lots of money and now there is many multiplatform versions in the works.

They can cut development costs down a lot, and charge less for new titles

I'd be willing to accept this Pass Online stuff if new games were $30-$40 new

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#125 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

It's called, THE FIGHT AGAINST PIRACY!

LegatoSkyheart