Do you use/hear a lot of racial slurs on XBL?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mosdef_basic
Member since 2002 • 7619 Posts

Why is this so prevelant in online gaming? Is this really a good representation of what people are thinking out there?

I can't really go a whole day on COD4 without somebody ruining it for me by calling some one on the opposite team or even people on their own team out of their name. Or if that doesn't happen they will use some sort of ignorant reference to some sort of sterotype that is equally offensive. Honestly I think it's just cowardly, but wondered if any one else is seeing this or bothered by it or even if you do it you can explain why you think it's ok.

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

I feel the need to bring this comic back once again:

joey101010

That is the absolute truth. People know they cant caught so they take advantage of their anonymity. It isnt just racial slurs but just bad attitudes and the need to insult people in general. Hell just last night on halo 3, as soon as me and my party got to the social slayer lobby this one ignorant fool spouted out "I (insert F word) Toxicnight's mom last night." The online community is the reason why I hate playing multiplayer to begin with.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

Why is this so prevelant in online gaming? Is this really a good representation of what people are thinking out there?

I can't really go a whole day on COD4 without somebody ruining it for me by calling some one on the opposite team or even people on their own team out of their name. Or if that doesn't happen they will use some sort of ignorant reference to some sort of sterotype that is equally offensive. Honestly I think it's just cowardly, but wondered if any one else is seeing this or bothered by it or even if you do it you can explain why you think it's ok.

mosdef_basic

Its plain wrong and of course we are going to tell you its wrong the simple truth is this happens all of the time on XBL or in the real world get over it and move on posting topics aint going to stop it.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
Nope because I turn my mic off unless I'm playing with friends. COD4 has one of the worst online communities I've ever seen.
Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts
Nearly everytime I play live I hear racial slurs, and other insults which is why I won't buy another live card until more odf my firends get 360's so that I turn off the mic for everyone else and still hear them
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts
I can't wait for 8-play gamer chat, because of this... I'll just private chat with my friends while playing my game so I won't have to hear the nonsense... sometimes it's funny, but then there are those a-holes who go a little too far
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
The online community is really annoying. Sometimes however at certain times they're are a lot less people using mics, especially on the PS3.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

The online community is really annoying. Sometimes however at certain times they're are a lot less people using mics, especially on the PS3.fenwickhotmail

well cause the PS3 doesn't come with mics like the 360, so they're stuck paying for a mic or using their bluetooths

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
[QUOTE="mosdef_basic"]

TX360

Its plain wrong and of course we are going to tell you its wrong the simple truth is this happens all of the time on XBL or in the real world get over it and move on posting topics aint going to stop it.

No. In the real world most of these people on XBL wouldn't have the guts to say racial slurs to random strangers.

spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 spazpol
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts

Nope because I turn my mic off unless I'm playing with friends. COD4 has one of the worst online communities I've ever seen. Kuruption84

You haven't been on the GTA IV on-line community recently. I honestly don't even both plugging in my mic because no one doesn't say anything more insightful then a few F***s, s***s, and then sounding like they are so high they don't have a clue what class they are missing that afternoon.... Bad Company on the other hand I've actually been amazed at how civil that community is... go figure

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
yeh it was shocking when i 1st played on xbl but now its like what ever. there main intention is to annoy or insult you. what better way to insult some one you dont know by saying something about there race? as for me, i just mute people. it isnt that hard. but seriously you shouldnt have to mute a bunch of people all the time :/. it really doesnt matter; loud music-mute, annoying voice-mute, talking about irrelevant things lol mute :P
jjbiggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 jjbiggs
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts

I can't wait for 8-play gamer chat, because of this... I'll just private chat with my friends while playing my game so I won't have to hear the nonsense... sometimes it's funny, but then there are those a-holes who go a little too farAtlanticRock

It's never funny.

s3lFc0nTr0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 s3lFc0nTr0l
Member since 2006 • 3028 Posts

The 'N-word', is not a racist word...

I go to a high school that's roughly half black.

I hear this dreaded 'N-word' anywhere from 10 to 20 times a day, all from black students. This is not just between two kids talking to themselves or in the locker room or something like that, which isn't ok either but is just accepted here, this is all in plain view of multiple teachers, to scared to do anything. In the hallways, classrooms, etc..

Nothing ever happens, they can't do anything about it. The only time a teacher tried to something about it, the kid said that the teacher used the term on him and basically lost his job until he got it back through court and everything.
GAURENTEE you, if I, or any other person of any other race were to use this word out loud, I/we'd get suspended, and probably get capped.

I'm all for discontinuing the use of this word too, but until it stops being the black exlcusicve word for 'dude', or whatever, it's just entire BS.

I havne't used Gamespot in a very long time, and I probably won't be for a while since this post is probably 'racist' or whatever and I'll get suspended. Don't see why, I didn't say anything that isn't the truth or bad. If I was racist I wouldn't live in teh community I do, or go to the school I do. I just get so sick over the whole situation.

Travis350z28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Travis350z28
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts
Yes all the time its just like any chat room ya just have to learn to live with it.
PyroPice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PyroPice
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

[QUOTE="AtlanticRock"]I can't wait for 8-play gamer chat, because of this... I'll just private chat with my friends while playing my game so I won't have to hear the nonsense... sometimes it's funny, but then there are those a-holes who go a little too farjjbiggs

It's never funny.

It is, is people are at least clever in their racism, it can be hilarious, I love good jokes, regardless of subject, why is southpark funny but not xbox live? its because south park does it well, and most xbox live users dont. COD4 is the worst with thus, it seems all the 12 year olds form halo 2 went to cod :/ But dont get offended, laugh at somethign that is funny, dont think your heartless for it.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Nearly everytime I play live I hear racial slurs, and other insults which is why I won't buy another live card until more odf my firends get 360's so that I turn off the mic for everyone else and still hear themStar-Killer
And at school for me too. man i hate racist/nationalists so freaking much!
Mysterypoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mysterypoo
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="jjbiggs"]

[QUOTE="AtlanticRock"]I can't wait for 8-play gamer chat, because of this... I'll just private chat with my friends while playing my game so I won't have to hear the nonsense... sometimes it's funny, but then there are those a-holes who go a little too farPyroPice

It's never funny.

It is, is people are at least clever in their racism, it can be hilarious, I love good jokes, regardless of subject, why is southpark funny but not xbox live? its because south park does it well, and most xbox live users dont. COD4 is the worst with thus, it seems all the 12 year olds form halo 2 went to cod :/ But dont get offended, laugh at somethign that is funny, dont think your heartless for it.

Thank you lord for saying that (was just about to) another equal problem is that people are too touchy these days. Chill out people yes racist jokes can be funny so can sexist I tell female friends of mine to make me a sandwich occationally and they laugh and tell me to go to hell (jokingly) as long as you dont go too far and make it personal it's funny (or if a little kid says it)

redmagic123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 redmagic123
Member since 2003 • 566 Posts
I have to agree all the racial slurs and bad attitudes in general make it hard to keep a mic on all the time, most of the time si notice it from 14-18 year olds that think its funny to say anything and everything to impress their friends. I mean even your own team mates attack you in most games, I remember playing a big team battle with a friend and had everyone else on my team (all 6) betray us (or try anyways) for the first 5 minutes of the match till we got kicked for fighting them off, and for what you ask? Because we are higher ranks then them, absolutely pathetic some people are on when they play online thinking they are more important or better then everyone else.
spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
Last night I heard it a lot more than usual, and no offence it seems to come from mostly Americans. Eihter they are dropping the N word or making fun of the English. I guess I'm lucky cause there isn't too much Canada bashing.
Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
I only use the mic when I need to. Games like Call Of Duuty is just rush out, kill as many, respawn and do again, whereas Orange Box and Rainbow Six require more team work (finding it is another thing) If anyone insults me, I simply give it back to them three times more, I make him/her look like an idiot, mainly cause I'm witty.
Avatar image for VIRGIN_ISLANDER
VIRGIN_ISLANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 VIRGIN_ISLANDER
Member since 2008 • 447 Posts

In my entire life,and i am sooo serious...the only time that i have actually had to deal with hardcore racism was on xbox live.An the funny thing is i'm sure these people dont behaive like this in public.I sometimes wish that some of these guys would come down here where i'm from and see how far down the street they'll make it while saying some of the crap they say out loud..Anyways i guess as far as i would like to think we have come in life its a shame to think that racism is still such a problem.....Big ups to the nice friendly peeps on xbox live.LETS KEEP GAMING TO WHAT IT WAS MEANT TO BE...FUN!

mosdef_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mosdef_basic
Member since 2002 • 7619 Posts
[QUOTE="mosdef_basic"]

TX360

Actually it doesn't happen as often in the real world because in the real world there could actually be retaliation to the action. Cowards get online and talk trash because they can, and nothing can happen to them save a bad report filed on their gamer tag which nothing ever happens anyway when you report people. And I don't feel I have to just get over it because I pay for a subscription just like any one else and don't feel I should have to just take being insulted like that for no reason. Or anyone else for that matter, I hear just as many Jewish and Latino cracks as anything else.

Hanzo175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hanzo175
Member since 2008 • 1225 Posts
I hear racial slurs all the time. That's why I play with my mic off, unless I'm playing w/ my friends or peeps I'm cool w/
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

No. In the real world most of these people on XBL wouldn't have the guts to say racial slurs to random strangers.

mosdef_basic

yup that's very true

agentluap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 agentluap
Member since 2005 • 2254 Posts

I hear endless racial slurs on xbox live all the time, its something you grow to expect and just ignore, because in the end of the day its mainly kids who aren't even old enough to play the game. I think Microsoft should bring a system out where you can file a complaint against underage people playing the with a high age rating.

For example I used to play Saints Row online and the ammount of times I was in room with a 12 year old calling everyone the N word was unacceptable.

It needs to be cut out but in the end of the day its a process that would take so long it would be pointless.

rclen33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rclen33
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
Ive been surprised with nhl 09. Most of the people i've played with are usually cool people to talk to. Nothing bad so far. But yea, halo and cod, awful mouths.
s2i2p2i2o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 s2i2p2i2o
Member since 2003 • 602 Posts

Nope because I turn my mic off unless I'm playing with friends. COD4 has one of the worst online communities I've ever seen. Kuruption84

Same here.. but honestly, as long as it aint racial slurs I really don't care what people say! So what if someone is calling me an F-ing idiot or f -a -g or whatever... they can call me what they want, it's not like I'm ever going to meet them irl or on xbox live again...

KM330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 KM330
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
racial slurs arnt funny, but somtimes all the trash talking is lol.
Cowing30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cowing30
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts
i would love to meet all of the people who talk so much crap online. i would love to see what they would say in real life. the majority of them are middle school age and arent even supposed to buy the game in the first place. now ive got no problem with talkin trash for a reason (they came after you, they are doin somethin cheap or w.e.) but its when they just for no reason other than the fact that you just joined the game then its a problem
Bryman303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bryman303
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts
exactly
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
that's why i don't use a mic. anonymity breeds idiots. I'm kind of confused on the topic title though. did the tc really expect someone to come in here and say, "yeah, i use racial slurs all the time"?
fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts
I don't play games to cuss at and insult other people. But it seems like some do. I just mute them as soon as they say one thing that bothers me. That is also the beauty of XBL. Yes people can say what they want but you don't have to hear it if you don't want to. I'd much rather hear "good game" when I lose than "you n---- we just f---- you up you f----- n-----" that is just ridiculous.
cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts
[QUOTE="mosdef_basic"]

TX360

actually thats the thing it doesn't happen in the real world in my eyes. I have never been or heard of anyone being called the "n-word" to the face. That's what the author of the post made clear, was that they feel invincible because its on the internet. For people who use that and other offensive talk online i really think its one of those things where they're too scared to say it to anyone in public so they do it in the comfort and safety of their homes. Look what happened to the Jena 6 boy and he didnt say a word...lol Good thing Live has that good ol mute button

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Its Xbox live in general

ZeRoIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZeRoIV
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

A couple of times in Halo since my gamertag is Omarjavier they called me wetback and stuff but i dont mind because i am Boricua pure 100% Puerto Rican but hey like i said i dont mind just make fun of me in my face so i can break theres :!

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#39 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

I agree. There are alot of ignorant, inconsiderate, and uncaring people out there that believe the only way to have fun is to verablly insult someone. Or play their music load in the background. Or continue to sing a garbled song off-key through out the match. Yes, there's always sending bad feedback and blocking the person but that rarely seems to work. I find myself either muting the person or turning my mic off.

Those type of people are cowards that hide behind an online connection believing that they can't be touched. In real life they would definitely be wearing dentures by now from the repeated shots they would receive to their face. But one has to consider the source. Halo and COD4 are aggressive games and tend to draw those types. I played other online games and rarely received that type of 'Neanderthal Lip Language.'

hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

No, I don't hear racism on XBL, cause I don't use a mic, mainly cause I think its weird to use a mic and not even know the person in real life, I think its pathetic.

Unless I know the person in real life, than that's a different story. Then I can say all I want to him/her.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

I'm a fan of smack-talk, so I say "Bring it on." But sometimes XBL'ers just take it wayyy too far, and it's disgustingly offensive. That's when the mute button goes to work ...

So yes, I hear a lot of racial slurs. I tend to smack-talk based on skill ... or the person's voice.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts

I've never used racial slurs. I rarely trash-talk, if I do it's a joke. I'm superstitious like that and fear it would jinx it. :P

I've heard plenty of crap on XBL, like many others.

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
when Ever i hear da N word i report and aviode
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't usually talk on xbox live and my gamertag doesn't really give away my race so I never hear them. Every now in then i'll hear a black person say the n word or some 14 year old whiteboys calling themselves the n word, but thats about it. First one I don't care, second one is just funny to me.
Delro333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 Delro333
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts
Welcome to the online world of gaming, get over it. I know I did
XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#46 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Just curious. How can you distinguish between a black person and old whiteboys. Do all black people sound the same? Do all whiteboys sound the same?

I don't usually talk on xbox live and my gamertag doesn't really give away my race so I never hear them. Every now in then i'll hear a black person say the n word or some 14 year old whiteboys calling themselves the n word, but thats about it. First one I don't care, second one is just funny to me.Senor_Kami

JohnnySN1P3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JohnnySN1P3R
Member since 2008 • 1916 Posts
I swear like a sailor, but I refuse to use racial slurs. Most racial slurs I hear are from little 5 year olds or those black guys who can't finish a sentence without using it.
tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts
Doesn't bother me too much. Mute is there... It disgusts me but i don't dwell on it.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Yeah.That's why I always mute everybody or turn my mic off.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
i agree i here it every day