Best health system and the worst health system in a game...opinions

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

Hi - just a topic I have been thinking about lately....

Which game (or games) have the best (or most realistic) health system and which have the worst (or 'cheapest')...???

Some games use numbers (ie: up to 100) and health packs......some use shields......some just red and blur the side of the screen and the player has to avoid fire to 'get healthy' again......some use complex systems (ie: different parts have a independent health number).....some use a needle in the chest to get healthy...

Which do people prefer....?

Thanks

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

TF2 has a great way to get health. Needing to either resupply,go to a dispenser,grab a medkit,or have a medic use his gun on you.

randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts

So far I think Dead Space has the best health system, and so far the worst would be Silent Hill Homecoming.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

I like Health Systems tht regenerate.

The worst id hav to say is Resistance 1 IMO

but for Xbox, im not sure..

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

So far I think Dead Space has the best health system, and so far the worst would be Silent Hill Homecoming.

randomguy15

Ya i agree w this!

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

I haven't played those - what are their health systems...?

necorid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 necorid
Member since 2009 • 378 Posts

not a big fan of the regeneration health systems of most games like halo3 or the COD games, it works in Gears of war though

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

craigkelleigh

TF2 is class based and every class has its own set amount of health. They're from 125-300 and the medic is the only class that overtime regains health. Around 2-3 every few seconds.

DarthBlivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DarthBlivion
Member since 2005 • 1458 Posts

craigkelleigh

Dead Space: the health system is a display at the back of his suit along his spine, which indicate his vitals.

axeman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 axeman87
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

There's a lot to be said for the regenerative system like in GeOW. It helps keep the pace by avoiding having to constantly look for, or be reliant on health blobs. It makes you more aware of the hostile and dangerous parts of a game because you cannot just chug a health vial if you bite of more than you can chew. Great for action games.

The potion system is more condusive for RPG's or slower games and makes more sense IMO. If you had the regen system in a slow game, there would be no point as the game moves so slong anyway, you would regenerate before your next encounter.

Same concept goes for action games in reverse. If you had potions in Halo, or Gears, you could just stack up on health potions and run into every battle without a care.

The one worst is in Too Human, where you dont have one at all. Once your run out of health thats it, back to check point. ****** stupid!!

Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts

I prefer the games like gears of war and halo in that area.. I mean looking for health pack.. that's just boring.. I mean I like a game where if you are damaged, you just have to seek cover for a few seconds, and then keep going, that way the fun never ends till it's over.. and well just to add, I wish that online games were more like unreal championship with the respawning.. I mean c'mon RESPOND TIME.. that is just stupid and boring.. how about once you die, you just have to pull the trigger again to respond.. stop wasting our time

mrjigyfly02790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrjigyfly02790
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
Far Cry 2.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#13 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
Far Cry 2.mrjigyfly02790
FarCry 2 hs a bit of everything I also like it, I dont like that much the one for Perfect Dark Zero, where you can replenish your armor but not your health, and sometimes you die with full armor
Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

The regenerating mode is pretty good in some styles of FPS games. FPS horror games should never use a regenerating system as it just makes u invulnerable. Scrounging for ammor/health packs is what makes or breaks the atmosphere sometimes. Look at RE5, it turned into an action game because of easy to find ammo and easy health system. RE4 had u checking every nook for anything and conserving everything u pick up.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

No game has realistic healing at all. You can't just go pick up a pack and be completly better after someone shoots you 10 times. Also if you hide behind a car for 5 seconds after you get shot you just don't get better. If there was a game where everytime you got shot you had to take the time to go to a hospital, get the bullet fragments removed, get it bandaged up, let it heal for a while then go through a lot of rehab. That game would have the most realistic healing system.

red192837465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 red192837465
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts

My favourite is the regenarating health (Halo,COD,etc.). My least favourite for a FPS is finding items to heal yourself. In a RPG (Zelda,Fable,etc.) thats fine.

phixional_b3ar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 phixional_b3ar
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Regenerating health/shields works very well for the single player campaigns of action heavy shooters like Halo/Gears/CoD but I find it pretty annoying in Multiplayer. Knocking someones shields out only for them to run round a corner and get it all back again is rather frustrating and why Hardcore is the best format in CoD 4 in my opinion, Also I think some of you are getting mixed up. While Dead Space uses a novel and and visually brilliant way of displaying the health of the player, the actual health system is no different than if it were just a bar running along the bottom of the screen.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I like the health system in Farcry 2. The segmented health bar with some regeneration but only to the max of the current segment. You have to use a med kit/syrette to restore depleted segments.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 doubalfa

No game has realistic healing at all. You can't just go pick up a pack and be completly better after someone shoots you 10 times. Also if you hide behind a car for 5 seconds after you get shot you just don't get better. If there was a game where everytime you got shot you had to take the time to go to a hospital, get the bullet fragments removed, get it bandaged up, let it heal for a while then go through a lot of rehab. That game would have the most realistic healing system.

Dawq902
if you play Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on multiplayer with "high stakes" mode on you are not able to heal from any wound, you cannot see through cover, or see the grenade icons, thats the most realistic thing I have seen in a game, of course it isnt completely realistic because, if you get shot you bleed and if you lose to much blood you pass out
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

doubalfa
if you play Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on multiplayer with "high stakes" mode on you are not able to heal from any wound, you cannot see through cover, or see the grenade icons, thats the most realistic thing I have seen in a game, of course it isnt completely realistic because, if you get shot you bleed and if you lose to much blood you pass out

I did not knwo this and I have R6V2. I don't like that though. Personally I like the COD and Halo healing systems. If your out of the line of fire then your not dieing, makes sense.
guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

Halo and Dead Space are my favorites so far, worst is Resistance 1 (I think somebody already said that one though).

Th3-UnS33n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Th3-UnS33n
Member since 2008 • 391 Posts

COD for sure. After all, who wants a number indicating their health, and having to switch to a needle/medkit or something to heal themselves.

Maxwellmurder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maxwellmurder
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay and same goes with the Assault on Dark Athena. Requires nanomed cartridges and nanomed stations. Makes the game challenging especially when you have one heath box left and are getting your ass shot at
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Any game with regenerating health like Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War etc.. have the worst health system because it takes all the challenge out of the game.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts

Far Cry 2 has the best health system by far.

Ryozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ryozo
Member since 2003 • 266 Posts

I'm not too fond of the trend towards regenerating health in FPS/TPS games. This said, two or three games come to mind which had reasonable compromises:

• Halo - shields regenerated, sure, but if you wanted to recover health, you had to find a medpack;
  • Resistance: Fall of Man - limited regeneration (round up to the nearest quarter);
  • Kill.Switch - somewhat similar to how one of the Marvel/Capcom crossover games (the specific title escapes me at present) let tagged-out partners heal. Hard to describe; just look up dial187's playthrough on YouTube.

Speaking of being able to stock up medical packs: this is not necessarily a bad thing - just look at Dead Space and Duke Nukem 3D.

cheeseball99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#27 cheeseball99
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

i hate healthbars love regeneration

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I'm assuming we're talking shooters here. In general, I like recharging health. It was always annoying in older shooters having to backtrack through a level to get health packs. It was also annoying never being able to go "all out" in any one combat engagement, as you never knew when you'd find more health kits.

Dawq902

I agree. I always found it ironic that while the recharging shields of Halo make perfect sense from an in-universe perspective, no mechanism exists by which to explain the regenerating health of "realistic" shooters like Call of Duty and Rainbow Six.

[QUOTE="doubalfa"]

Dawq902

I did not knwo this and I have R6V2. I don't like that though. Personally I like the COD and Halo healing systems. If your out of the line of fire then your not dieing, makes sense.

If you play GRAW on hard, you die in one hit, from anything. You can get shot in the foot with a pistol, and you're still dead. The game gives you a health bar, which actually serves a purpose on the normal difficulty, but on hard it's completely pointless. Pretty realistic, huh?

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

For a shooter I have a favorite health system. Haven't thought very hard about other game genre as most anything can work for me.

When I play a shooter, I will favor ideas like TF2 with a Medic class. I like how being an idiot is punishible by loss. I like how every bullet that hits me is a permanent puunishment for a bad move. I like how L4D lets me carry health with me. I would like it if CoD had a health bar and a health kit. Maybe you regenerate health slowly still after you are under 25%, that way if you survive you still have a chance of getting to 1/4 health and keep going until you get a med kit.

Imagine how great that could make things. Health kits drop off dead bodies when the person with it doesn't use it, so you can scavenge corpses for them. Teammates can give them to you and maybe get some points as reward. The possibilities in the way gameplay would change are a great and wonderful thing to me. Juggernaught perks would lose their cheapness in MM too...oh the wonderful idea.

Regenerating health isn't horrible, but I can't stand the 'gimme a sec, he shot me in the face. lemme catch my breath' mentality. Why make a shooter like CoD realistic in any way at all if every soldier is a potential bullet proof god? It gives too much elbow room. I want to die every time I screw up in CoD, not make every mistake come down to wether or not I have juggernuaght on or Stopping power and an Mp40.

Halo3 is forgivable. My time in that game makes me confident that the players wouldn't be able to like a system that punished them for stupid suicidal rambo sprees. The game revolves around the 'LOLOLOL RAMBO!!!!' gameplay type and for that it has an adequate system. Every player is a superhero who eats bullets and farts laserbeams, every shot to the face is taken with a manly chuckle as they swing their BR rapidly about screaming about how awesome they would do if they could only take you on 1v1.

When it comes to SHOOTAN gaems I would like to have a medic class or medkit system that is both rewarding to use and in its own way would require some tacctics or thought.

Thinking as I type, I will note I liked the potion system in Fable, having healing items I have hotkey themselves depending on how much healing I currrently required was nice, although fattening.

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 phynixblack

I'm assuming we're talking shooters here. In general, I like recharging health. It was always annoying in older shooters having to backtrack through a level to get health packs. It was also annoying never being able to go "all out" in any one combat engagement, as you never knew when you'd find more health kits.Palantas

I agree here, I like health kits and such, but they had better work a certain way, that way people wont just run about camping the health kit and magically find themselves healing when they should have died on the next shot. I am against the idea of 'grab and instantly better' heal type things. I would rather carry the health kit WITH me, then have to stop and hide to use it. IT works for a few seconds, then I am healed. Maybe it only has say one or two uses too. That way eventually I am caught without and die. I figure L4D health pack would be neat if maybe sped up slightly in other games. I liked the little loading bar on my screen, every seconds delay could end badly as I could be interrupted and die anyway.

As for 'All out' I bet we have very different views on the idea. When I imagine going all out in a shooter I imagine myself going rambo and trying to teamwipe until I am eventually stopped, if I were at such a point I wouldn't be worried about health as I would focus solely on my clip and my movement. Every bullet dodged is a few seconds of shooting my bullets back and every bullet saved is another in the next guys gut. Health would be something I ignore there because if I move just right the dodging should keep me going. I find these days that is harder to do, except in CoD:WaW it seems. Everyone tends to stop movig when they shoot a weapon, meaning someone always moving and shooting is a really dastardly thing to cope with until you figure out his path.

On that note, Berserking is a really fun end of match thing. My K/D is crap because of it, but I love the reaction people get when I run at them like a madman and actually manage to kill them.

therealryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 therealryu
Member since 2004 • 388 Posts

The regenerating mode is pretty good in some styles of FPS games. FPS horror games should never use a regenerating system as it just makes u invulnerable. Scrounging for ammor/health packs is what makes or breaks the atmosphere sometimes. Look at RE5, it turned into an action game because of easy to find ammo and easy health system. RE4 had u checking every nook for anything and conserving everything u pick up.

Desperados11

There are few things I hate more than people who make assumptions based on a freaking demo. You don't know. Besides RE4 wasn't that ammo starved at all, if anything that's the game that changed the series to action.. I got through it just fine with TONS of ammo, without having to check "every nook" I loved that game but come on, the true ammunition starving was in the first 2 Resident Evils.

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 phynixblack
[QUOTE="therealryu"]

[QUOTE="Desperados11"]

There are few things I hate more than people who make assumptions based on a freaking demo. You don't know. Besides RE4 wasn't that ammo starved at all, if anything that's the game that changed the series to action.. I got through it just fine with TONS of ammo, without having to check "every nook" I loved that game but come on, the true ammunition starving was in the first 2 Resident Evils.

Ammo you keep depends on how good your aim is and wether or not you are like me and thuroughly enjoy drawing the occasional 'Phynix wuz Heer' into a wall. Or maybe a smiley. I used to do that in R6:Lv2 back when I played a lot of Terrorist hunt. I waste a lot of ammo on silly things, game like R4 would probably have me looking all over for ammo. It's a person to person thing in most ways.
sToK3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sToK3d
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
Halo 1 would be a great one. I fondly remember looking for health packs in Legendary, and then see a sword wielding elite around the corner. Man, FUN TIMES! I miss playing that game with buddies. A bad one? Hm.. TBH, I don't play that many games to make an opinion.
therealryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 therealryu
Member since 2004 • 388 Posts

[QUOTE="therealryu"]

[QUOTE="Desperados11"]

phynixblack

Ammo you keep depends on how good your aim is and wether or not you are like me and thuroughly enjoy drawing the occasional 'Phynix wuz Heer' into a wall. Or maybe a smiley. I used to do that in R6:Lv2 back when I played a lot of Terrorist hunt. I waste a lot of ammo on silly things, game like R4 would probably have me looking all over for ammo. It's a person to person thing in most ways.

Yeah that's true. But my point is that RE4 had plenty lying around and you didn't really have to search everywhere.Granted if someone's terrible at aiming like you said then maybe they would spend a while looking.

But the same goes for RE5 if you miss alot you might spend awhile looking for ammo. I've been playing it split screen co op with my buddy who modded his box and got it early. Although he's not allowed to play it live until the 13th. About the same amount of resources as 4.

Anyways back on topic, done with my nitpicking haha. I thought The Getaway's health system was pretty funny. You had to lean on a wall when you got injured and as you did you would slowly heal and the blood stains would disappear from your jacket.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Far Cry 2.mrjigyfly02790
My body had more morphine than blood at the end of that game.
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 phynixblack
[QUOTE="therealryu"]

[QUOTE="phynixblack"][QUOTE="therealryu"]

Yeah that's true. But my point is that RE4 had plenty lying around and you didn't really have to search everywhere.Granted if someone's terrible at aiming like you said then maybe they would spend a while looking.

But the same goes for RE5 if you miss alot you might spend awhile looking for ammo. I've been playing it split screen co op with my buddy who modded his box and got it early. Although he's not allowed to play it live until the 13th. About the same amount of resources as 4.

Anyways back on topic, done with my nitpicking haha. I thought The Getaway's health system was pretty funny. You had to lean on a wall when you got injured and as you did you would slowly heal and the blood stains would disappear from your jacket.

That is neat. I like stuff like that. I gotta get my buddy to bring a copy over. I know he has it.
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 phynixblack
[QUOTE="mrjigyfly02790"]Far Cry 2.JigglyWiggly_
My body had more morphine than blood at the end of that game.

Mine was mostly Rocky Roads ice cream...oh wait...uhm...I mean yeah. Totally friggen manly. MORPHINE!!!!...
trash18164022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trash18164022
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts

there has never been any realistic life system in any shooter, regeneration is physically impossible and makes you able to take a missile to the head and still walk normally and run through hordes of enemies. health bars made you more aware for health that any enemy that fired at you. I'd like to see a shooter in which if your shot you STAY that way, unless an ally removes the bullet, but you'd still be hindered cause you just had a bullet lodged in you. Then taking cover would actually be a vital part of the game instead of the normal, run up to bad guy, light him up, and hide in a corner. OR the fire at enemy, find health pack, recover all wounds no matter where the bullet hit you, and fire again.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 doubalfa

If you play GRAW on hard, you die in one hit, from anything. You can get shot in the foot with a pistol, and you're still dead. The game gives you a health bar, which actually serves a purpose on the normal difficulty, but on hard it's completely pointless. Pretty realistic, huh?

Palantas

mmm I dont think is that realistic I havent been shot in the foot but im almost certain that I wont die, I would say 2-3 shots makes perfect sense to kill you...Imagine a game with real wounds it would be sick shot in the foot you can no longer run, nad cant walk normal haha...well its not that good

Maxwellmurder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maxwellmurder
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts

Most realistic health system in a game is Red Orchestra but that is for the PC

Avatar image for Un4givingAsault
Un4givingAsault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Un4givingAsault
Member since 2008 • 1053 Posts

I think Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead have pretty solid health systems. The regenative health system is prob the best for mulitplay, COD does it the worst, well theirs is well done just the screen looks like crap when your hurt.

Worst Health system has to be, Fallout 3, or Oblivion. Game where you do something to someone that should kill them but doesn't. Ie) fallout 3 - shot gun blast to the face Oblivio - I will this guy, if I hit him 500 more times with my sword>

By the way, I don't Hate falout 3 or oblivion, their probably my favorite games thats why im so skeptical.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i think there should only be regen in FPS, and RPGs need a way of healing, and regen should only be granted by a special ability or item otherwise i think the game would become too easy. fallouts is alright, but once u get to a higher level with enough caps and a good medicine skill, stimpacks become too common and easy. i like oblivions where you could heal using a spell, but u also had to managed your magicka
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It really depends on the gameplay. Sometimes health packs of some sort work very well. Other times a regeneration works. Still other times a medic class system works very well.

GwannaSauna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GwannaSauna
Member since 2008 • 583 Posts

Best: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Worst: The Halo series (Shields? Get real!)

Rasika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rasika
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I like the health system in Farcry 2. The segmented health bar with some regeneration but only to the max of the current segment. You have to use a med kit/syrette to restore depleted segments.

Tezcatlipoca666

I agree with this, but its good only because far cry 2 is a open world game. It would be disturbing going looking for medikits in linear games like GOW and COD.

SpectreBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 SpectreBoy6
Member since 2009 • 229 Posts

the regeneration system...like in the COD 3,4,5

RyanJ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RyanJ71
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

Most games have the problem where you can get to a "defeated state" like in Gears of War and your allies can't heal you but you have to run around saving their asses, like someone deemed you the ONLY medic. Resistance 1 had bad health system, I really liked Dead Space's health system made sense.

dracosummoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dracosummoner
Member since 2009 • 376 Posts

Any game with regenerating health like Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War etc.. have the worst health system because it takes all the challenge out of the game.

Darkslayer16
Did you try, perhaps, playing on those games' hardest respective difficulties? I think the segmented health systems of games like The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay or Resistance: Fall of Man make for an interesting compromise, allowing the player to suffer *some* consequences of gameplay mistakes without leaving the player in a hopeless situation (if the next health kit is out of reach).
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Palantas

[QUOTE="I"]

doubalfa

mmm I dont think is that realistic I havent been shot in the foot but im almost certain that I wont die, I would say 2-3 shots makes perfect sense to kill you...Imagine a game with real wounds it would be sick shot in the foot you can no longer run, nad cant walk normal haha...well its not that good

Getting shot most anywhere would take the protagonist out of the action, at least for the next mission. Since the game's plot is structured around the main character "saving the day," he wouldn't be able to do that in an Army hospital, and thus, you'd lose the game.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Palantas

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

dracosummoner

Did you try, perhaps, playing on those games' hardest respective difficulties?

I agree. If you don't think Call of Duty is challenging on Veteran, then you're either the Rain Man of shooters or you're lying.