Best health system and the worst health system in a game...opinions

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Double0hFor (394 posts) -

best health thing is POKEMON (like red and blue) and worst would be like the new prince of persia

#52 Posted by macca366 (785 posts) -
I have to admit, I'm a fan of games that goes for the more obscure complex methods. Such as Deus Ex and Call Of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth. I like having limited health, it makes playing through a level more exciting knowing you're not as well off as you were at the start. I think Halo: combat evolved's system was fun, having regenerative shields, but limited *health*. Though I admit just walking over large artificial looking 'medpacks' ruins the experience a little.
#53 Posted by Hickamie14 (1652 posts) -

For an online shooter, I think it's CoD 4. The worst I think is BIA:HH. However, for RPG's and single-player, I don't know.

#54 Posted by Ashitaka96 (113 posts) -
Well this is the 360 forum but, just talking health systems on any game, I like Killzone 2's system it regenerates but not all the way to 100%. If your very low on health you can hide and and go back to like 50%.
#55 Posted by Ashitaka96 (113 posts) -
Also a realistic one is the Bushido Blade series. You can get hit in a limb and keep fighting, but if you get stabbed in a vital area, like the torso or head, your dead end of story.
#56 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I'm not keen on games with regenerating health and armour - it just makes them too easy. Got shot a few times? nevermind, just stand still and instead of bleeding out, you'll be back to full health and shields :( I like the old school numbers on screen - you get hit, they go down - you find a health pack or armour pick up, and the numbers go up. End a fight on next to no health - you'd better go searching for health and armour.
#57 Posted by Ashitaka96 (113 posts) -
In the MGS games if you get too low you start bleeding to death, I think other games do that too. In addition to health items (rations) you also get bandages to stop you from bleeding to death. In MGS if you start bleeding to death I don't think rations will stop it, you will keep losing health unless you use banages.
#58 Posted by valttu (1420 posts) -

Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault had a very nice health system. It was like a normal health bar, but after it went to zero, you fell on the ground and your vision went colourless, and then you had to call for one of your buddies who was the medic in your team... I don't remember his name... And the medic had a limited amount of doses he could give you. And also it was cool if a buddy was down, to pick him up on your shoulders, scream for a medic and carry your buddy to him... Wow that game was nice lol.

#59 Posted by dracosummoner (376 posts) -

Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault had a very nice health system. It was like a normal health bar, but after it went to zero, you fell on the ground and your vision went colourless, and then you had to call for one of your buddies who was the medic in your team... I don't remember his name... And the medic had a limited amount of doses he could give you. And also it was cool if a buddy was down, to pick him up on your shoulders, scream for a medic and carry your buddy to him... Wow that game was nice lol.

valttu
You might enjoy the free-to-download online shooter Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. That's pretty much how death works in that game (unless your corpse takes so much damage that you're beyond hope of restoration) -- if you have people on your team who are playing as medics (and you almost certainly will), they can use a syringe to revive you and then give you health packs. (I don't remember which of these resources are limited and which run off a little recharging timer.)
#60 Posted by dracosummoner (376 posts) -
[QUOTE="macca366"]I have to admit, I'm a fan of games that goes for the more obscure complex methods. Such as Deus Ex and Call Of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth. I like having limited health, it makes playing through a level more exciting knowing you're not as well off as you were at the start. I think Halo: combat evolved's system was fun, having regenerative shields, but limited *health*. Though I admit just walking over large artificial looking 'medpacks' ruins the experience a little.

I'm not familiar with Dark Corners of the Earth, but Fallout 3's health system shares a few similarities with Deus Ex -- to a point. Both games split damage up among the player characters' various body parts (head, torso, arms, and legs) and have unique consequences for limb damage, but Deus Ex "commits" to that modular health system, while Fallout 3's "main" health system is a regular bar.
#61 Posted by orb_03_2006 (8494 posts) -
IMO the best is Gears of War & COD. the worst is BF:BC, having to use the health respirator every 10 seconds is irritating :P
#62 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50449 posts) -
Hmm, the best I've seen is from Chronicles of Riddick. The worst would be GRAW or Resistance.
#63 Posted by dracosummoner (376 posts) -
IMO the best is Gears of War & COD. the worst is BF:BC, having to use the health respirator every 10 seconds is irritating :Porb_03_2006
I have to say, I personally thought that Bad Company's health system was an interesting combination of a "health recharge" (since you don't have to seek out health kits in order to restore your health) and a standard, depleting, relies-on-health-kits system.
#64 Posted by dracosummoner (376 posts) -
Hmm, the best I've seen is from Chronicles of Riddick. The worst would be GRAW or Resistance.Lotus-Edge
I'm not familiar with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter's health system. Regarding Resistance, I thought Butcher Bay and Resistance were fairly similar, as far as the regenerating mini-health bars went -- or am/was I wrong?
Avatar image for DaMattGuy-360XL
#65 Posted by DaMattGuy-360XL (108 posts) -

My personal favorite health system is on a game I played briefly some time ago and cannot recall the name to save my life. It was live-action fantasy, that much I remember, and everyone had a very gradual health/mana regeneration unless they were taking damage. (The regeneration also improved if you sat down) The points restored weren't usually enough to make much difference unless you were a heavily armored fighter class taking on 1-3 monsters at a time, but there were also potions and healers. Now before you try to tell me I just perfecctly described "Solstice" or anything from Outspark, this game is even older and Solstice's graphics are more sophisticated (and in Solstice you're almost FORCED to use the sit down method to get anywhere).

My least favoite was GRAW. To me it seemed getting noticed meant instant death no matter what the settings were on. (My luck with FPS games has been know to be an epic *** hole, but that's way too extreme)

#66 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15556 posts) -
My favorite is Far Cry 2. Four bars of health, your health regenerates if the damage is still in the same bar. If the damage goes over a bar you have to push a heal button and go through an animation to heal yourself. Makes you a good target for snipers and stops you from running away everytime you take damage to wait for your health to recharge. I don't know about worst. Battlefield BC was pretty bad when you could shoot a guy with a bolt action sniper and he would heal with a needle or medkit before you could hit him again.
#67 Posted by commander-cool (359 posts) -

I think regenerating health is good for fast paced shooters. The health systems in games like halo, cod, and gears just make shooter with a set amount of health like unreal tournament 3 feel dated imo.

On the other hand, the health pack systemis great for survival horror to increase the fear. How scary would it be if your health just regenerated while you ran from that necromorph? Btw, I think it's great how dead space has no HUD whatsoever.

Best: Gears of War

Worst: Unreal Tournament 3

#68 Posted by Agent_Kaliaver (4722 posts) -

Any game with regenerating health like Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War etc.. have the worst health system because it takes all the challenge out of the game.

Darkslayer16
So making people harder to kill takes the challenge out of the game? That sounds like "lowering all the accuracy on guns takes the challenge out of the game". It just doesn't seem to make sense to me... I think it depends. If the game is a class/team oriented game than i find non regenerating health to be a very good way to go (TF2 did this and other PC games did too... i know they arn't 360 but oh well). But for shooters that try and make you a one man army... Halo... than i can see why and like it. Halo 1 was not bad by all means with a regen shield and health bar. But i wouldn't say making it regen only made it worse by any means.