Anyone else irritated about the Xbox "3"?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts
2009 is too early. 2010 seems right an even then it looks like the 360 still has some life in it.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#52 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

There will not be a new one by 2009 because technology hasn't advanced enough to warrant another generation of systems and I doubt it will change much within 2 years.

Microsoft isn't stupid. They are a multibillion dollar company. They will not make a stupid mistake like releasing it in 2009, as this is way too early. 2010 seems at the VERY earliest, although in my personal opinion, the years of 4-5 year generations are over. Games are approaching the point where they look near-photo-realistic on current gen consoles, so what exactly would the selling point of the new consoles be? Soon the "better graphics" excuse will be irrelevant.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#53 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

One more thing to add before I head off to play DMC4:

Just because it was the first system to come out this gen doesn't mean the next one to come out will be first also. Look at PS2, came out a year earlier than the GCN/xbox yet PS3 came out a year later than 360 and at the same time as Wii. It is very possible that the next xbox could come out 6 years after 360, which would make it 2011.

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
whenever the next xbox comes out..... hopefully not for a while... i will not buy it unless it has 100% backward compatibility.... no software emulation.... 100% compatible... either way i will stay with the 360 for a long time and if they stop supporting the system that soon i will never buy another microsoft console
true_apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 true_apollo
Member since 2005 • 350 Posts

Look at the timetable for the Xbox and 360:

Nov 2001 - Xbox

Nov 2005 - Xbox 360

Nov 2009 - "Xbox 3"

It makes perfect sense when you look at it in context. A four year cycle is plenty. The only way MS could go wrong in doing this is if they drop support for the 360 as fast as they dropped support for the Xbox.

Bringing out a new system in 2009 would also be perfect for introducing a Blu-Ray enabled Xbox. Blu-Ray may be the leading HD format, but the market penetration and demand for HD movies is still very small and will only really start to take off in a year or two. Gee, that's right around the end of 2009! Imagine that!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#56 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Nov 2001 - Xbox

Nov 2005 - Xbox 360

Nov 2009 - "Xbox 3"

It makes perfect sense when you look at it in context. A four year cycle is plenty. The only way MS could go wrong in doing this is if they drop support for the 360 as fast as they dropped support for the Xbox.

Bringing out a new system in 2009 would also be perfect for introducing a Blu-Ray enabled Xbox. Blu-Ray may be the leading HD format, but the market penetration and demand for HD movies is still very small and will only really start to take off in a year or two. Gee, that's right around the end of 2009! Imagine that!

true_apollo

Gee, I dont know about that one. It will be awkward to see Resident Evil 5 and Gears of War 2 releasing AFTER "Xbox 3." It just doesnt make any sense. Maybe a possible last quarter 2009 release but all the buzz of the new console will just kill it for some of the best games; literally stealing the limelight. I'll stick with my prediction, 2010.

shaddix55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 shaddix55
Member since 2003 • 1242 Posts
I dont see the point in releasing a new console in 2010, that's really just around the corner, and the 360 has alot of life left in it. This console could easily last another 3.5-4 years.
Limonadi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#58 Limonadi
Member since 2006 • 982 Posts
2011 because why stop now when 360 is still selling?
Limonadi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#59 Limonadi
Member since 2006 • 982 Posts

Nov 2001 - Xbox

Nov 2005 - Xbox 360

Nov 2009 - "Xbox 3"

true_apollo

U know that doesnt make any sense at all. 360 was released in 2005 because First xbox didnt sell too good and they wanted to be first "Next gen" system on the market. Wii and PS3 came out in late 2006 so why would Microsoft hurry up when next "war" is years away. AND they need atleast 1 year marketing time before it gets released like every system that has come out.

-Im sorry about my english i hope you guys understand what i mean.

Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#60 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
Honestly, I hope MS doesn't rush it this time. They need to take time, get all the bugs and defects (like RROD) out of the console before they start to even market it.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
im not buying another console for about 5 years
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts

Hey, do you guys know that the word "Gullible" is not in the dictionary? It's true! Go look it up!!

People will believe anything, I swear. This is probably something some Wii or PS3 fanboy made up "Did you hear that Microsoft is working on the new Xbox to release it next year? Yeah, they're totally scared by how freakin' awesome the PS3 is. Good thing I bought the ten year console!!"

This reminds me of back in early '05 when I constantly had people telling me "Yeah, the PS3 is already out in Japan!! They're just waiting to release it here cause they always come out a couple years early in Japan." And the sad thing? You try to tell these people that it's total bull but they won't accept it. They think they're telling you some uber-elite stuff and there's no way you're going to convince them otherwise. Like those people that go around telling everyone "Yeah man, the average person swallows (insert number) of spider in their sleep every year!!". Go ahead, try and tell them it's an urban legend and any scientist that has looked into it has said it's BS... they're not going to believe you. They think they just told you some crazy interesting fact and they should be on Jeopardy or some sh1t.

Jesus, man... don't believe or spread every stupid little rumor you hear. Just because the last person that told you this added some term like "Market analysts" doesn't mean that makes it hold any proverbial water.

FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

Over a year away.....

There's nothing to be concerned about. They will still make games for the 360 for atleast 6 months after the new console is released.

dukerav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dukerav
Member since 2003 • 2029 Posts

I highly doubt we will see the next XBox within the next year. More likely it IS in the early planning stages at this point, but Im guessing it sees the light of day no less than 2 - 3 1/2 years from now at some major event like E3 or maybe GDC or something.

FooFighter145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 FooFighter145
Member since 2003 • 415 Posts

It's all about MONEY...people

If MS has to support the 360 with its RROD, just how many free consoles will MS have to produce for replacement consoles in order to keep making cash with the replacement for 3 years plan?

MS knows people will buy the new console so they wont lose anything (notice I spelled it correctly all you non-spelling "loose" idiots out there)

A new tech with built-in wireless, Blu-Ray and higher tech than the PS3 would make perfect sense.

If they could make it completely backwards compatible with no emulation problems, I would trade in my 360 in a heartbeat.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#66 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

hey i like the new systems coming out every 5 yrs. It makes the older games cheaper faster. I'm big on collecting games, but I dont like to pay full price. so i wait til games are platinum hits, used, or just old.

But some people have the $ and want the latest best games that are available. You cant force the people to play the Xbox360 for more than a few more years if they want something more powerfull. It's like how you have to upgrade your PC to play the new games like Crisis (my computer im sure will not run that game at all)

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#67 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

While I'm not willing to interpret this rumor as "true" until its confirmed, it honestly wouldn't surprise me, considering the 360 was compeletely outdated the moment PS3 hit shelves.

And no offence to 360 owners (I've had two myself, a premium that bricked and then an Elite that I sold off last week) but the writing is on the wall. The 360 is flawed hardware and went with the wrong format from the getgo, and considering the millions upon millions of dollars MS is losing due to the issues with 360, it might just become mandatory for them to move forward with another console.

Avatar image for fallendamnation
fallendamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 fallendamnation
Member since 2004 • 5981 Posts
2009 is too early i mean its not like the hardware is obsoleite or anything. I mean there are amazing looking games that havent been released yet. And plus i just got my console last year during christmas (wasnt a gift or anything sold my Wii for it) the console still has a lot of good things comming out for it no need the rush the next one out.
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
Welcome to the world of the PC gamer. You going to complain about the 2-3 years you had gaming? Didn't think so.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 TheKungFool

2009 is too early i mean its not like the hardware is obsoleite or anything. I mean there are amazing looking games that havent been released yet. And plus i just got my console last year during christmas (wasnt a gift or anything sold my Wii for it) the console still has a lot of good things comming out for it no need the rush the next one out. fallendamnation

I disagree with you that the 360 "is not obsolete", I honestly feel that it is. Its flawed hardware wise, its using whats soon to be an obsolete disc format, and while the PS3 is building up steam, the 360 seems to be slowing down already.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some fanboy trying to say its rubbish or anythng, its got great graphics and I quite enjoyed "Mass Effect" and "BioShock", but with all the problems its having with hardware, the console is costing MS millions in replacements and repairs. It also just lost its HD-DVD support. (also, I'm not expert, but from what I understand, 3-4 disc games like Blue Dragon & Lost Odyssey would only take up one, two at the most bluray discs).

Legendary_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Legendary_Ross
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

MS knows people will buy the new console so they wont lose anything (notice I spelled it correctly all you non-spelling "loose" idiots out there)

FooFighter145

:lol: THANK YOU!!!!

That mispelling is one of my pet peeves and a common sight on these boards.

Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#72 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
The PS2 is faulty hardware too. I had to replace my PS2 three times.
p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
if it comes in the next 2-3 years im so not gonna buy another xbox unless its a slim and lite version of a 360.
the_kidisblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 the_kidisblack
Member since 2008 • 1184 Posts

*sigh*

If you dont like it then dont buy the new xbox.

I doubt they would release a new xbox in 2009, you dont have to believe everything you hear.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11998 Posts
It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.
Torous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Torous
Member since 2004 • 915 Posts

The PS2 is faulty hardware too. I had to replace my PS2 three times.Zach68486

Cause you modded it right?

Korps14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Korps14
Member since 2005 • 345 Posts
I got my 360 on launch. I want a new, next gen console from MS ASAP! :)
Likefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Likefire
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts
Stop worrying about 'XBOX 3'. XBOX 360 still hasnt scratched the surface on what can be accomplished withits power. I hope they do not just start a new console too soon. There i still too much that can be accomplished. Also Microsoft would lose a lot of respect if they did so.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.gatsbythepig

Why exactly is that? That's like saying my 200gb hdd is obsolete because 300gbs are now on the market. It's JUST a storage medium. The bluray, in and of itself, doesn't make games better or worse. And dvds will be around for a while even after this consoles life cycle has ended, even the ps3s. Only about 30ish% even have HDTVs right now. I wouldn't worry about dvds falling off the radar just yet.

LeFlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LeFlack
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts
There are still a fair few years left in the 360. Look at the games that came out on the original xbox at lauch compaired to games brought out 3 years down the line. Game producers still haven't used the full power of the 360 so people don't need to worry just yet. People keep telling me the future of gaming is on blueray as the disc's can store more information so we'll get better detail, bigger levels etc.... Well a few points I'd like to put across. To me the future of gaming in online gaming so I don't care to much how big a single player level and game is. They can just make a trainng mission and the rest of the disc can be used for the multi player part of the game. Also they can't make the levels on multi player that big yet as console's don't do more than 30 players online in one game. 16 players on a big map would just get lost and not see any action for long spells. Anyway oblivion is one of my favourite games and that was massive and looked great .That wasn't on blueray and it didn't use the full power of the 360. As for better detail i don't care if the grass looks better on pro evo, or if walls look better of COD4 or halo 3. Gaming is the main bit and there have been 10 or more games that have been amazing and AGAIN thats before they've realised the potential of the xbox360
jmartin1016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82 jmartin1016
Member since 2003 • 1363 Posts
What.. Xbox 3. I'm in if I don't have to live my life in the fear of RRoD
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
i doubt that that it'll be released in june 09, that would be another short life time span of a system. i can tell you this tho, as much as i love my 360 im not going to buy another one. and more than likely be picking up a ps3 before i get a the the xbox "3". the only reason i dont now is because im playing my original xbox games and there is just way too much stuff i have on my HDD so ill be sticking with it for now. also game exclusives are a dieing breed and in the future the will hardly be any.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#84 jNerd
Member since 2005 • 7598 Posts

I 100% will go on record right now that we WILL NOT have a new XBOX console untill 2010 or later!

Shooterdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Shooterdown
Member since 2006 • 153 Posts

I don't think the holt 360 will happen with the arrival of a new xbox. It was just costing them to much for that system to keep around. Next will have the same guts in side and I am sure they will try and make 360 live on in the same way PS2 is living on.

next Xbox 2010 at xmas I can handle. Any other time is too soon.

Shooterdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shooterdown
Member since 2006 • 153 Posts
Actually after the HD-DVD death, they may even speed it up.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TheKungFool

[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.brianpoetzel

It's JUST a storage medium. The bluray, in and of itself, doesn't make games better or worse.

Not better or worse, but certainly more effective. Would "Blue Dragon" or "Lost Odyssey" need to be on 3-4 discs if they were blueray? No. Don't get me wrong, its an amazing game and I think GS's score for Lost Odyssey should have been alot higher, but when my buddy opened his game and it was discs all stacked together, with another one in some stupid sleve, sorry, but I had to chuckle a bit.

lil_soulja22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lil_soulja22
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts
This is not fully true, microsoft said that they do not see a new system coming out until 2011 the earliest , why the long wait? well they will just make upgrades for the 360 instead like how they did with the xbox elite, so you can probably expect a few updated systems from now until that time. I think there will be a new console (something different then the 3) that will be released, whether its handheld system or actual console i dunno, it could be a psp 2, a new atari system, a new sega system, and there has been talks that apple (mac) was in talks of going into the gaming world to dominate aswell so who knows exactly
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#89 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

I 100% will go on record right now that we WILL NOT have a new XBOX console untill 2010 or later!

CheezyFrog

I agree.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
After what Ive been through with the 360 Id be reluctant to buy another console from Microsoft.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#91 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

1) That's just a prediction (like poll numbers, weather reports, etc.) not an official statement.

2) MS would do better waiting till they had all the kinks worked out for the Xbox 720 (or whatever)

3) Even the guys at OXM think it's still got at least another two more years left in it.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Gen-Gawl
[QUOTE="brianpoetzel"]

[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.TheKungFool

It's JUST a storage medium. The bluray, in and of itself, doesn't make games better or worse.

Not better or worse, but certainly more effective. Would "Blue Dragon" or "Lost Odyssey" need to be on 3-4 discs if they were blueray? No. Don't get me wrong, its an amazing game and I think GS's score for Lost Odyssey should have been alot higher, but when my buddy opened his game and it was discs all stacked together, with another one in some stupid sleve, sorry, but I had to chuckle a bit.

I don't mind the disc stack so much. PC games have come like that for years so I'm used to it. But the fourth in the sleeve was a bit poor. And yeah, if it was on a bluray it would have been on one disc. But whether it's on four discs or just one, it's still the exact same game.

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#93 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
I'll just stick with my 360 until it ultimately dies or i have the money to squander on a new piece of hardware.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TheKungFool
[QUOTE="TheKungFool"][QUOTE="brianpoetzel"]

[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.brianpoetzel

I don't mind the disc stack so much. PC games have come like that for years so I'm used to it. But the fourth in the sleeve was a bit poor. And yeah, if it was on a bluray it would have been on one disc. But whether it's on four discs or just one, it's still the exact same game.

I can appreciate your point, but the obvious benefit remains. It may be the same exact beit on 4 discs or 1 single bluray disc, but you can certainly understand the benefits to the space afforded with the bluray medium. Especially when it comes to production, packaging, and looking forward a few years to what hopefully ends up being some bigger/better games.

Lets be honest, it might be the same game, but if you had your choice between it being on one disc or four, you'd more than likely opt for the single disc, barring some kind of disc switching fetish.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Gen-Gawl
[QUOTE="brianpoetzel"][QUOTE="TheKungFool"][QUOTE="brianpoetzel"]

[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]It is totally expected. When they decided to use DVDs instead of blu-ray their lifespan had already been cut short.TheKungFool

I can appreciate your point, but the obvious benefit remains. It may be the same exact beit on 4 discs or 1 single bluray disc, but you can certainly understand the benefits to the space afforded with the bluray medium. Especially when it comes to production, packaging, and looking forward a few years to what hopefully ends up being some bigger/better games.

Lets be honest, it might be the same game, but if you had your choice between it being on one disc or four, you'd more than likely opt for the single disc, barring some kind of disc switching fetish.

i lol'ed.

Yeah, with all things being equal I'd prefer the game one one disc.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheKungFool

no worries, glad you had a chuckle, lol.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

CheezyFrog

hopefully its not in 2010, a little bit later.. so expensive for just playing since august.

JOHN117_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 JOHN117_basic
Member since 2002 • 3418 Posts
I'm not bother by it, I'll stick with the 360 until there's some price drops for it. I mean I bought my 360 for $500, didn't get any games with it in a bundle, no HDMI, a crappy disk drive, a 20GB HDD, etc... And now you can buy an Elite for cheaper and have all that stuff, and there's rumours of another new SKU coming out that will be Wi-Fi ready, new heatsink and new chip, all the bells and whistles. Scarface_tm431
Are you in anothe country or something? the premium never was 500 dollars it was 399 just wondering.
Fuzzman38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Fuzzman38
Member since 2007 • 290 Posts
I don't think there is going to be another generation, this is as far as we could push graphics
GeneralXiahou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GeneralXiahou
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts
it really shouldnt come out any ealier then 2011 or 2012