Anyone else irritated about the Xbox "3"?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Super_Hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Super_Hippie
Member since 2005 • 131 Posts

"Economists and inside sources slate the release as early as 2009."

Seriously?! That's ****ing rediculous... I JUST got into liking my 360 more than any other console and now I'm faced with the grim truth that I'll have to buy ANOTHER, more expesive system and start all over again? Give me at least five years of great releases. This is getting rediculous.

(DISCLAIMER: The above is true about all console, not specific to the Xbox. Just used this board because I like the 360 the most)

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I hope it comes out sooner. That way when my 360 dies (which is bound to be before then), I can just get a refund with my warranty and I'm set for the next-generation.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
I'm not bother by it, I'll stick with the 360 until there's some price drops for it. I mean I bought my 360 for $500, didn't get any games with it in a bundle, no HDMI, a crappy disk drive, a 20GB HDD, etc... And now you can buy an Elite for cheaper and have all that stuff, and there's rumours of another new SKU coming out that will be Wi-Fi ready, new heatsink and new chip, all the bells and whistles.
wanizame98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wanizame98
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts

It's pretty remarkable how traumatic this transition between generations has been. Part of me thinks MS would be shooting itself in the foot to rush out another console, whether the hardware is reliable this go-round or not; seems like they'd be risking more ill will than they have already incurred.

But the other part of me realizes that gamers generally want the newest/biggest/best thing, so no matter how much they gripe, a lot of people will still buy it. Personally, I'm hoping it'll be no sooner than 2010.

OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

2010 would work for me, but anything less would somewhat piss me off. When the 360 came out, almost all production/support/developments for the original Xbox just halted, never to return.

sickboy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sickboy91
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
2010 at the EARLIEST please - give the console a chance.
wanizame98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wanizame98
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts

2010 would work for me, but anything less would somewhat piss me off. When the 360 came out, almost all production/support/developments for the original Xbox just halted, never to return.

glesniak

I agree. I think MS would help their image a lot if they continued to support and release games for the 360 in the next generation much like Sony has for the PS2 in this gen. Or at least have much improved backwards compatibility. Or both!

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts

I would be happy with the next console coming out in Nov. 2010.

By then the Xbox 360 would be 5 years old. If you look at the Xbox and Xbox 360 it was only 4 years between the 2 consoles and i don't remember anyone really complaining. Nov 2009 would be 4 years. Around that time Wii and PS3 well be 3 years thats not very long...maybe thats why its seem like a shock people are talking about the new xbox coming out in 2009. Either way I'd get it....but I would want full backwards compatability. I'm hoping though it doesn't show up till 2010.

Super_Hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Super_Hippie
Member since 2005 • 131 Posts

I didn't pick up my 360 until September of this year out of sheer ignorance. I told myself that there was nothing on the 360 I wanted and I could just deal with my Wii and PS3. Then, I finally broke down and got one for Halo 3 (lol) and even though I kick myself for buying a console for such a ****ty game, I'm SO glad I actually bought it for all the GREAT games out there (GoW, ME, R6:V, Bioshock, etc...). To my surprise, when I bought the cheaper model (not the cheapest), it came with HDMI - another unexpected plus!

But, then all this talk about the next Xbox really discourages me. Entering a system late certainly comes with its share of perks (like non-stop gaming on great titles), but then you're also slapped in the face with a new console right around the corner... :(

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts
Why would they release in 2009... I mean there are games already scheduled for 360 and PS3 then like Resident Evil 5 and all of the PS3 titled being released in 2008... would you rather have a $400 PS3 and tons of games by the end of '08-'09 or a new $500+ Xbox and no games early '09... I think it is safe to say that from a finantial standpoint... Microsoft won't release a new more expensive console during their main competitors high point in sales and new releases... especially for more money... people would be downright silly to pay more for less... I don't like one more than the other, nor am I a fanboy of any console... but, if someone came up to you with 2 bananas in one hand and 1 banana in the other and said I will sell you 2 bananas for 1 dollar and 1 banana for 2 dollars... the choice is clear...
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dizzykim
Member since 2005 • 721 Posts
Microsoft has never adhered to a set plan for their consoles. If you want better peace of mind, a PS3 is probably more your style since Sony is usually comitted in keeping their consoles relevent for 5 years or more. Microsoft has a different plan for their consoles, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that they would do this (possibly to gain more market share). While irritating, Microsoft may have other motives to spur this possible "upgrade" such as better connectivity with PCs, mp3 players and such. Since consoles are now starting to reap the benefits of the technology growth spurt, perhaps this increase in production is in response to that. Who knows.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
If the new console is not Backward Compatible (BC) then I would never buy another Xbox again. This is not consumer friendly, if this is true. I know that games come and go but consoles too? At least they are still manufacturing and selling PS2 systems and games. Even the PS3 in its 60g and 80g models were BC. Gamers did not suffer a lost with their library of PS2 games. Microsoft needs to really think about those who purchase their systems. Even with their three year warranty many gamers are still wondering if their systems will survive.
Avatar image for Del_The_Prophet
Del_The_Prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Del_The_Prophet
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts

It will only bother me if they drop the 360 like they did the Original XBOX. That's no way to treat your gamers. I'm not ready to give up on the 360 yet or anytime soon. The graphics in Mass Effect STILL blow me away. But most of you are right. If a new system came out tomorrow, people would be camping out in front of stores tonight to pick one up. It's our fault for buying into it. Microsoft now knows they have us hooked. Like crack. We're the junkies...they're the dealers.

GuyverV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GuyverV
Member since 2003 • 125 Posts
in all honesty, you people are getting upset over nothing. the ps2 came out in october of 2000 with the playstation 3 being released in nov. 2006. planning for a system and releasing it are two different things. the system probably won't come out until 2011 at the earliest. i will add this one warning, they probably will want to be the first ones out of the gate again since that strategy along with their software lineup has fueled their success thusfar.
knyfex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 knyfex
Member since 2006 • 131 Posts

Seriously?! That's ****ing rediculous... I JUST got into liking my 360 more than any other console and now I'm faced with the grim truth that I'll have to buy ANOTHER, more expesive system and start all over again? Give me at least five years of great releases. This is getting rediculous.

(DISCLAIMER: The above is true about all console, not specific to the Xbox. Just used this board because I like the 360 the most)

Super_Hippie

You say that as if you are being forced to buy a new console, lol, just don't and wait for the price drop

that's the cheap way 8)

GuitarsOfWarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 GuitarsOfWarr
Member since 2007 • 880 Posts

Microsoft has never adhered to a set plan for their consoles. If you want better peace of mind, a PS3 is probably more your style since Sony is usually comitted in keeping their consoles relevent for 5 years or more. Microsoft has a different plan for their consoles, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that they would do this (possibly to gain more market share). While irritating, Microsoft may have other motives to spur this possible "upgrade" such as better connectivity with PCs, mp3 players and such. Since consoles are now starting to reap the benefits of the technology growth spurt, perhaps this increase in production is in response to that. Who knows.dizzykim

I was thinking similarly to you. If Microsoft tries to follow through and rellay expand on their Live Anywhere service, it wouldn't surprise me if they needed to upgrade things more to allow for better connectivity and use of technology in general.

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

in all honesty, you people are getting upset over nothing. the ps2 came out in october of 2000 with the playstation 3 being released in nov. 2006. planning for a system and releasing it are two different things. the system probably won't come out until 2011 at the earliest. i will add this one warning, they probably will want to be the first ones out of the gate again since that strategy along with their software lineup has fueled their success thusfar.GuyverV

I couldn't have said it better myself, great post!

SLXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 SLXD
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts
Well its bound to come out, except that I would hate it not being backwards compatible, mostly because I can still keep the 360 or trade it in without loosing the great games. But I doubt that they will come out in 2009, especially now that they are trying to integrate blu-ray into the 360. They have way to much planned, and they just started making money in the video game business so for them to take another risk would be a bad move. I think that they will just upgrade the 360 more and improve on the reliability aspect of it. I think they will try to build an even bigger fanbase to establish the sales for the new console somewhere around 2010... Besides they cant suffer another rushed release, and another RROD similar crysis.
davidtabor5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 davidtabor5
Member since 2006 • 305 Posts
Were is the info on this?
Avatar image for luigismansion101
luigismansion101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 luigismansion101
Member since 2003 • 733 Posts
MS will def release there next console about the time that Nintendo and Sony are talking about there new consoles cause they want a big headstart on it again. i mean if the 360 came out at the same time the ps3 and wii came out look how far behind they would be. heck, it'd be in last place probably (judging by it's sales over the two year period, ps3 outsold 360 in it's first year). the only reason i bought a 360 was for gears of war and bioshock, and the only reason i'm keeping it is for GoW2. the next xbox will have to come out early to stand a chance, just like this one, but if it has hardware issues like the 360 it is as good as dead on arrival cause people won't put up with the breaking again (i know i won't). microsoft proved they can sell a system and can make great games for it, but if they don't make a reliable system next-gen it won't sell. i won't buy another console til 2012, this hardware can continue to pump out amazing graphics and doesnt need to be replaced by another console that won't be much better graphically. they will have to get unique about their approach b/c graphics can only get so much better b4 they look real. but why are we talking about next-gen 2 years into this gen. the wii and ps3 will last another 5 years, so the 360 should be good another 3 before they even start designing the system.
WMDfreeman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WMDfreeman99
Member since 2007 • 1874 Posts
freaking out about nothing...these systems are so much more advanced the the previouse ones...to make another next gen system requires nwe tech which cost more... to make a new system at a 4-500 mark requires the new tech to be cheaper.. which will take a few years we will see the release of the new system.. end of 2009 we will hear about it. middle of 2010 will be marketing the new systems. release holiday season of 2011
davidtabor5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 davidtabor5
Member since 2006 • 305 Posts
MS will def release there next console about the time that Nintendo and Sony are talking about there new consoles cause they want a big headstart on it again. i mean if the 360 came out at the same time the ps3 and wii came out look how far behind they would be. heck, it'd be in last place probably (judging by it's sales over the two year period, ps3 outsold 360 in it's first year). the only reason i bought a 360 was for gears of war and bioshock, and the only reason i'm keeping it is for GoW2. the next xbox will have to come out early to stand a chance, just like this one, but if it has hardware issues like the 360 it is as good as dead on arrival cause people won't put up with the breaking again (i know i won't). microsoft proved they can sell a system and can make great games for it, but if they don't make a reliable system next-gen it won't sell. i won't buy another console til 2012, this hardware can continue to pump out amazing graphics and doesnt need to be replaced by another console that won't be much better graphically. they will have to get unique about their approach b/c graphics can only get so much better b4 they look real. but why are we talking about next-gen 2 years into this gen. the wii and ps3 will last another 5 years, so the 360 should be good another 3 before they even start designing the system.luigismansion101
Umm the PS3 Did not beat the xbox in first year sales. And the xbox couldnt be found in store for the first 6 mounths it was out, while there were super amounts of ps3s that nobody was buying. So the xbox would be in second if they relesed at the same time.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

It will only bother me if they drop the 360 like they did the Original XBOX. That's no way to treat your gamers. I'm not ready to give up on the 360 yet or anytime soon. The graphics in Mass Effect STILL blow me away. But most of you are right. If a new system came out tomorrow, people would be camping out in front of stores tonight to pick one up. It's our fault for buying into it. Microsoft now knows they have us hooked. Like crack. We're the junkies...they're the dealers.

Del_The_Prophet

If you buy your consoles thinking that they're going to supported forever, much less any longer than 6 years, you're deluded. New consoles come out about every five years, its a fact of the industry and due to the nature of technology not console makers getting greedy. Infact console makers lose money on new consoles. A lot of money. It would actually be advantegeous for them to stay with their old tech as long as possible in order to milk their initial investment for as much as its worth. The only reason that new consoles come out is because gamers and tech enthusiasts always want better graphics, sound, etc. The console makers know that they have to come out with a new console because if they don't their competitor will and completely dominate the market. If we never upgraded tech then we'd all be sitting around right now playing Atari 2600 games. You may think I'm exaggerating the complaint but I'm not. Back when 8 bit consoles transitioned to 16 bit consoles there were a lot of people that complained about having to switch and how BS it was that the console they owned wasn't being supported anymore in favor of the new console. Same thing happened during the 16 bit to 32/64 bit switch. And then it happened again when the industry transitioned again. And again.

Anyway, I do think that 2009 is awfully early for a new console to come out. We really only fully transitioned into the current gen in the latter half of last year and knowing how things go there's still a lot of untapped potential in the current consoles. And considering console maker's claims/hopes that the current consoles would be supported past 2010 I'm willing to just say that these "analysts" have no ****ing idea about what they're talking about.

Even if MS does release a new console though I'm not going to buy it. Not after how they handled the X360. MS has shown consumers that they prefer to get a market advantage rather than fully QA test their products. Furthermore, if MS releases a console that early that just screams "hey everyone look! We're making the same mistake again!". Now I probably will buy MS's next console, but not until 2-3 years after its released so I can know whether or not the console is riddled with problems.

jimmyobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jimmyobo
Member since 2005 • 217 Posts
i want the 360 to keep producing games like the ps2 until around 2011 when i graduate highschool and then have a pretty decent system to bring to college so by then if i lose it or it gets stolen ill be like ehhhhh whatever but it'll be nice to have around. Then after college ill definatly wait to buy the next xbox system so its better then when it first comes out(a.k.a. the 360 elite to the normal 360) and buy that. lol thats my life video game story but nah im not to irritated.
Deominator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Deominator
Member since 2003 • 852 Posts
Microsoft is going to be releasing a new console every 4-5 years. So will Nintendo and Sony. They always claim that they will support the new system for the next 10 years and make other ridiculous claims, but you would have to be fairly new to gaming to fall for it. The only people this is a real problem for are the young gamers and the poor-ish gamers who can't afford to buy the new consoles at launch. That's why they should try saving money. Having extra money in the bank helps out for all things in life, including gaming!
Avatar image for DerkaDerkaJihad
DerkaDerkaJihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DerkaDerkaJihad
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts
I agree with 2010 being the earliest I would like to see the Xbox "3." I think there are still plenty of good games to be made on the 360 and it still has plenty of life in it.
g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

Super_Hippie

What do you mean "have to"?

fwept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fwept
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
pfft ive only just bought my 360. 2010 at the earliest imo. Im happy with my wii60 combo which has got me settled for a long time till i go to uni. So no new console for a LONG time.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
Me thinks that the rumors are true, but that this new Xbox is only in production. I do believe there will be a new Xbox soon but, it will probably come out sometime around 2010.
kambion313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kambion313
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts

Super_Hippie

impossible....this dev cycle will be 4 years at least

Avatar image for online-predator
online-predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 online-predator
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

im sure you whiny fanboys will be standing n line n launch day also

iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts

I'm not bother by it, I'll stick with the 360 until there's some price drops for it. I mean I bought my 360 for $500, didn't get any games with it in a bundle, no HDMI, a crappy disk drive, a 20GB HDD, etc... And now you can buy an Elite for cheaper and have all that stuff, and there's rumours of another new SKU coming out that will be Wi-Fi ready, new heatsink and new chip, all the bells and whistles. Scarface_tm431

yhi dont mind either i love my 360, and im going to stick with it for like atleast another 3years

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
a new xbox won't be out for another 4 years.
J5_Hook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 J5_Hook
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

Well PS2 pwned sales in its generation, and it was the first one released.

360 was rolling, until the Wii passed it (but its control scheme is the ONLY reason it sold so well, and that is truth, dont deny it).

If the Xbox 720 is the first out of the gate, and precedes the PS4 and Wii2 by at least half a year, they know what they are doing.

Now, since Nintendo and Sony have not even mentioned a future console, Microsoft is being a bit too early.

As a brand new 360 owner, i dont want any next-gen systems to release for as long as possible.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
Were is the info on this?davidtabor5
no links he's just quoting some guy from down the pub, thats how accurate these next xbox threads
DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarthSnipa
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
2012 at least! If they launch in 2010, all the new games might be scrapped! (CoD5, MEII, etc)
faceman420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 faceman420
Member since 2003 • 637 Posts
Hopefully MS will keep dev open for the 360 well after a new console comes out like the Sony did for the PS2..
Legendary_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Legendary_Ross
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

[QUOTE="davidtabor5"]Were is the info on this?djrobst
no links he's just quoting some guy from down the pub, thats how accurate these next xbox threads

Agreed. Obviously a new XBox will succeed the 360 but as far as a timeline, I have to count it as speculative as no sources quoted. I don't think the 360 will be obsolete anytime soon with great titles coming.

I'm looking forward to RSV2, SC: Conviction, BIA: Hell's Highway, and GTA IV to name just a few.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
fall 09 would be ok. but will probably be fall 2010
tommy7154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tommy7154
Member since 2005 • 344 Posts
Some of you are half retarded. Their may be updates to the 360 over the next couple of years but a new next gen console? Please. I bet it's another 3 years away at least. Probably closer to 5.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

If they do that, they'll be losing most of their loyal fans. I don't think so. MS wouldn't be stupid enough to do something like that. Actually "stupid" would be an understatement. Learning from the mistakes of the RROD, they wouldn't do that. I actually have a blog on all of that. Someone sig my post if that ever happens.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

Super_Hippie

Meh. That's just analyst speculation. And besides, 09 is next year. Only a year away and we've heard nothing? If they were a year away from release they'd be hyping it already. For how many years did we know about the wii, ps3 and 360 development?

xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 xfan-atic
Member since 2003 • 1191 Posts
No, trust me, it' going to be 2010... UNLESS Nintendo decides to move on by 2009, which don't think so. The 360 has plenty of power and gaming to show. We still haven't seen Fable 2, Halo Wars, Resident Evil 5, GTA IV, Alan Wake (which i think will be superb), Splinter Cell Conviction Tom Clancy Total War, KOTOR 3, and many more games are bound to come, trust me, Xbox 720 due until november 21 2010
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Some of you are half retarded. Their may be updates to the 360 over the next couple of years but a new next gen console? Please. I bet it's another 3 years away at least. Probably closer to 5.tommy7154

Try 2-3 years max. The 360 was released back in November 2005 so more likely than not we'll see its successor launch in November 2010 or 2011 (at the latest). Five years from now is the dumbest estimate I've ever heard. No console gets supported by the console maker for 8 years. They may last that long in retail but its more of a zombie existence with only kiddie and budget games coming out after the sixth year.

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
ima get a ps3 after that...
Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

If Microsoft releases a successor right in the middle of this generation (circa 2009) it runs the risk of it's console being considered obsolete compared to the technology in the PS4 and Wii2, which wouldn't come out for at least another two years, by comparison. Kind of like what happened to the Dreamcast last gen. The best time to release the console would probably be 2010, since that would probably be at least a year before the competition, yet not so early that the technology is outdated.

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
Ive never bought this much for a console this fast ever and if they are planning for an 09 release everything better be backwards compatible or they can just push this release to 2011.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
2009? Economists? What do they know about video games? Common sense says, it's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm predicting a mid to late 2010 release at the earliest. Great video games have just started to come out, so how could they come out with next system within a year? If you ask me, and I'm no economist, that just isnt smart marketing. Just look at how many people are outraged by this already. I dont see it possible. Look for news on the new system, late 2009, or some where in 2010. Maybe a late 2010 release or early 2011. Gosh, when did the Xbox 360 come out, just yesterday? (sarcasm)
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Super_Hippie

A console only alive for exactly 4 years? that's insane. It better be at least 2010, hopefully later.