*ALL NXE/Fall Dashboard Discussion HERE* v. 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Caprellid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#801 Caprellid
Member since 2008 • 249 Posts
[QUOTE="reubendarosa"]

[QUOTE="backinthekrak"]I think the new look is great & is easy to navigate, but I do have to agree with others that it might be a bit cartoony. My girlfriend REALLY likes the avatars and creating / changing them will be a game in itself for her, which made me think about the possibility that MS is taking a cue from the success of the Wii to bring the whole thing a bit closer to mass market appealgillri

It's just a tad obvious eh? lol

yeah, its obvious they are going for the more family fun market after the success of the Wii, BTW how did you get the image of your new gamercard?

you go to mgc and change your theme

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#802 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts
MGC?
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#803 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

MGC?gillri

www.mygamercard.net

lol nice avatar; Masuka for the win!!!

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#804 atm0073
by the way, does anybody know how to share pictures in a party (start a Photo Party)? i can't figure it out...
d-man329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#805 d-man329
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="gillri"]MGC?atm0073

www.mygamercard.net

lol nice avatar; Masuka for the win!!!

Nice!
Avatar image for Cloud_in_midgar
Cloud_in_midgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#806 Cloud_in_midgar
Member since 2008 • 489 Posts
I wish i had my old dashboard back this new one just feels unprofessional and not very good.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#807 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

Two of my friends avatar hand in hand!!

gizmo12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#808 gizmo12345
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
[QUOTE="tnargus"]

[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Custom themes look pretty nice. I just wish you could change the trim color.II-FBIsniper-II

Nice work mate. How did you get custom pics onto the box? Just create a pic the right resolution, USB stick it and chuck it in the themes folder?

You can either use a USB storage device (ie. usb stick, external HDD) or just stream things from a computer. After that, go to your picture library, and press Y over the picture you want to use. It should appear in the change theme section from now on.

Does this mean if somebody tells me the right measurements and quality I can go onto photoshop and make my own themes?

ricefarmer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#809 ricefarmer101
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Check out the review. U guys agree? I thought my games loaded faster after installs. I didn't think the Netflix streaming was all that great though. Horrible quality...
Razieluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#810 Razieluk
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
:evil::evil::cry: Don't you just hate your other half when - despite they've seen you use the Xbox on many occasions and even used it themselves - you show them the wonders of NXE and they say "It's not that different to what was there before, is it???" :evil: :evil: :cry:
Razieluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#811 Razieluk
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts

Check out the review. U guys agree? I thought my games loaded faster after installs. I didn't think the Netflix streaming was all that great though. Horrible quality...ricefarmer101

I agree for all the bits that affect me.

I've never seen/used the Wii avatars so I don't know what options are missing from the NXE ones. It seemed pretty comprehensive to me.

I don't use the film thing either, so that doesn't bother me.

All in all I've very happy with it.

bontox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#812 bontox

Check out the review. U guys agree? I thought my games loaded faster after installs. I didn't think the Netflix streaming was all that great though. Horrible quality...ricefarmer101

Pretty good review, but I wanted to speak to your claim about the poo like nature of Netflix steaming via Xbox 360. It has everything to do with your connectivity. When you boot up the Netflix panel you should see a "determining video quality" build bar (I saw it the once I used Netflix, but I read that you should see it every time you go into the Netflix panel). Here is my guess… 1 out of four bars is okay quality = base def. 2 out of 4 bars = good def. / high def. Anything over two bars = best def. they have. Mine came back as 2 out of four bars and the def. I saw was really good. I will try and stream HD tonight, but I am concerned that the connection speed may not allow it.

For the record, I have an 8MB DL speed. However, once I leave the state or a border states the signal degrades to 1.5MB. I am based in Arizona and I believe the Live Content Servers I'm hitting are probably in Washington, thus the lower than optimal connection speed to them.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#813 atm0073

by the way, does anybody know how to share pictures in a party (start a Photo Party)? i can't figure it out...atm0073

anybody?!?!?!?!

Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#814 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts
Good review. So far I LOVE the update. It's nice to see the box art for games and videos when browsing friends and market place. It's easy to use once you become comfortable with it, and installing games and running them off the HDD is epic win IMO. COD 4 loads so much faster and the fact that my drive is dead silent puts a smile on my face. I'm excited to see the upcoming updates every 2 weeks. The Avatars are kind like whatever to me at this point, but i don;t hate them.
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#815 atm0073

[QUOTE="atm0073"]by the way, does anybody know how to share pictures in a party (start a Photo Party)? i can't figure it out...atm0073

anybody?!?!?!?!

Never mind people; figured out you need to download an application from XBL.

cops_on_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#816 cops_on_me
Member since 2005 • 65 Posts

this nxe crap crashed my 360.

Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#817 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts

I installed Gears of War 2 onto the HDD, deleted all the 0 gamerpoints games I had, played in a party, everything is pretty slick.

ReverseCycology

Can someone explain deleting zero gamerpoints games? :) I missed out

web_slinger_62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#818 web_slinger_62
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

Hey does anyone know how to change which channel your 360 defaults to when you turn it on currently when i turn mine on it goes to like the latest stuff or whatever but I would prefer it went on the "my xbox channel" I am sure it is possible to do because on inside xbox's latest video where they were talking about the nxe and showing you stuff i could see that their 360 opened onto the "my xbox channel". Their "my xbox channel" also had the little dot next to it that is currently next to the channel my 360 opens to when i turn it on which leads me to believe i can move it i just don't know how :s J1M-e

the only way it starts up on the xbox channel is if you set up your xbox to not sign you into live automatically when u turn on your xbox, but as soon as you sign in, the default channel will be switched back the the spotlight thing

ricot920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#819 ricot920

microsoft have really messed up with NXE i mean it looks like a wii more and more every day i mean sony are going to do a great job on making the hole sims avatars and i have considered selling my xbox for a ps3 because when it was plain and simple it wasn't laggy and a waste of there time and our money

the funniest thing is PSN don't have any advertisement but when you look on NXE all you see is adverting after advertising hello we pay for LIVE why should they try and sell us stuff microsoft must be making a killing

good to see all our money going to waste

not

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#820 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

I installed Gears of War 2 onto the HDD, deleted all the 0 gamerpoints games I had, played in a party, everything is pretty slick.

Alizerothree

Can someone explain deleting zero gamerpoints games? :) I missed out

Press the guide button, go to achievements, then rummage through them until you find a 0 point game. Press X on it and it will ask if you want to delete it from your played game history. Say yes and your done.

luna_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#821 luna_blue
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
i like the old dashboard better, the character creation looks similar to mii's which isn't too shabby.
Mac8457

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#822 Mac8457
Member since 2005 • 2624 Posts
Can you only make one avatar per gamertag??? If so that is pretty retarded.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#823 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Can you only make one avatar per gamertag??? If so that is pretty retarded.Mac8457
Yeah, I wish you could make more than one.
jus2nyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#824 jus2nyce
Member since 2005 • 1574 Posts
I love the presentation of themes now, I think I'm going to start buying
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#825 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

Can you only make one avatar per gamertag??? If so that is pretty retarded.Mac8457

I don't understand why people want more than one. Your gamertag is supposed to be you and the avatar is the visual representation of that gamertag. Why would you need more than one?  But if your so intent on getting more than one then you can always just make one and then save it as an outfit. Then you will have that avatar and the clothes saved and you can change it to that on the fly.

DeMeester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#826 DeMeester
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

When you have installed a game on harddrive do you need to use DVD ?????? I have heard something about that

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#827 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts

When you have installed a game on harddrive do you need to use DVD ?????? I have heard something about that

DeMeester

Yeah you do. It doesn't spin though, its just there because if it wasn't then everyone would just rent games and save them. 

Caprellid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#828 Caprellid
Member since 2008 • 249 Posts
not to mention with no disc needed to spin...vertical position of xbox 360 can no longer scratch discs!
tnargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#829 tnargus
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts
So i transferred all my 1920 X 1080 wallpapers from my iMac to my Xbox last night to use as themes. Works like a frickin dream! I have about 60 themes at least now. Looks amazing.
Dabbagins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#830 Dabbagins
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts

not to mention with no disc needed to spin...vertical position of xbox 360 can no longer scratch discs!Caprellid

That's odd, cause I've had my 360 vertical for a year now and it's never scratched a disc. Maybe the older consoles will do that, not sure.

Anyways guys I am sorry but this is the first time I'm clicking on this thread and don't feel like reading 800+ posts so instead of making a topic here is what I would like confirmed.

1) Ok so every time I want to install a new game this is what I do correct? I insert the game in the disc tray, wait for it to take off into space and once the game starts I click on the guide button, press A on xbox 360 dashboard(which will take me back to the dashboard with the disc in tray), go to my xbox, click y which will give me the option to install onto harddrive and that's it right?

2) Also now that I have a certain game installed, every time I put that game disc in the tray to play it, it will automatically play it via hdd correct? or do I have to do something extra to play it off of the hdd all the time. Thanks guys if you can confirm these 2 questions.

tony_fjellborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#831 tony_fjellborg
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts
Vertical position dont scratch discs, had mine vertical for about 6 months haven't scratched a single disc. My brother have his horizontal too and no problems
scottholt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#832 scottholt

Thats funny mine booted up to a black error screen and one flashing red light on my xbox. must be the canadian version.

Very upset!!

tnargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#833 tnargus
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts

[QUOTE="Caprellid"]not to mention with no disc needed to spin...vertical position of xbox 360 can no longer scratch discs!Dabbagins

That's odd, cause I've had my 360 vertical for a year now and it's never scratched a disc. Maybe the older consoles will do that, not sure.

Anyways guys I am sorry but this is the first time I'm clicking on this thread and don't feel like reading 800+ posts so instead of making a topic here is what I would like confirmed.

1) Ok so every time I want to install a new game this is what I do correct? I insert the game in the disc tray, wait for it to take off into space and once the game starts I click on the guide button, press A on xbox 360 dashboard(which will take me back to the dashboard with the disc in tray), go to my xbox, click y which will give me the option to install onto harddrive and that's it right?

2) Also now that I have a certain game installed, every time I put that game disc in the tray to play it, it will automatically play it via hdd correct? or do I have to do something extra to play it off of the hdd all the time. Thanks guys if you can confirm these 2 questions.

Yeah mate, that's it re: 1). As for 2) i think you're right there too. I've installed all my games, and i'm fairly certain it auto detects if it's been installed. In regards to installing games, and knowing you didn't read the last few pages, Bungie has released a statment advising that you don't install Halo 3 (if you play it at all). It actually INCREASES load times. Check their website for more details.

Dabbagins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#834 Dabbagins
Member since 2007 • 1152 Posts
[QUOTE="Dabbagins"]

[QUOTE="Caprellid"]not to mention with no disc needed to spin...vertical position of xbox 360 can no longer scratch discs!tnargus

Yeah mate, that's it re: 1). As for 2) i think you're right there too. I've installed all my games, and i'm fairly certain it auto detects if it's been installed. In regards to installing games, and knowing you didn't read the last few pages, Bungie has released a statment advising that you don't install Halo 3 (if you play it at all). It actually INCREASES load times. Check their website for more details.

Thanks for the confirmation. Btw I'm loving the nxe!
N00bl3t15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#835 N00bl3t15
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts

why are all NXE threads mashed into one? we're supposed to discuss avatars, game instalation, community games, the new party system, and everything else in one thread?

by brain kind of short circuits when i try to understand how the mods reason

ANYWAY

i just wanted someone to explain to me why microsoft didn't update the dashboard resolution with NXE. If you have a half decent 1080p screen it still looks pixelated and terrible since its scaled from 720p.

The 360 can run games like gears of war 2, but isn't powerfull enough to run a simple menu screen? I dont get it. People with crap-o 720 screens probably have no clue what im talking about, but if you play pc games and are used to high resolutions like 1920x1200 you probably know how much worse 720p looks. I'm just really dissapointed by this... I was looking forward to a new non-pixelated dash and assumed that it would happen since they supposedly "rebuilt everything from the ground up."

so does anyone know why microsoft couldn't get it to work?

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#836 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts

Am I the only one that hates the Avatars? They're just so stupid.If I wanted stuff like this,I'd buy a Wii.

I hope they will allow you to disable them in the future.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#837 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Anyone know how long the netflix trial is?
ricefarmer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#838 ricefarmer101
2 weeks
ghostyroasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#839 ghostyroasty
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Just curious.. To anyone who is streaming HD via Netflix.. I did it yesterday and it had an HD icon as it was buffering next to the quality bars... Then later, I got an update from netflix, and I have not seen the hd icon since... Has it been removed? I'm sure I'm streaming in hd, because the video is nowhere as pixely and I'm getting 2 bars instead of 4 that I get with other videos.
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#840 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="AtomicBaconBits"]Am I the only one that hates the Avatars? They're just so stupid.If I wanted stuff like this,I'd buy a Wii.The Avatars just make XBL seem something like MySpace...ugh. I hope they will allow you to disable them in the future.

Yeah, who wants a social networking service worth billions with hundreds of millions of happy members on an Xbox, right?
awesomejdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#841 awesomejdude
Member since 2008 • 4811 Posts
I like the update, but I'm having some issues with it.
ricefarmer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#842 ricefarmer101
Yea the Netflix was a little slow for me too. I normally download with speeds of 1.2 MB. Hopefully it gets better because as less people are on it. Im sure many people (myself included) were on it last night just trying it out!
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#843 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Is there a way to customize the themes you use? Kind of like we were able to before the update?
Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#844 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
1) Ok so every time I want to install a new game this is what I do correct? I insert the game in the disc tray, wait for it to take off into space and once the game starts I click on the guide button, press A on xbox 360 dashboard(which will take me back to the dashboard with the disc in tray), go to my xbox, click y which will give me the option to install onto harddrive and that's it right? 2) Also now that I have a certain game installed, every time I put that game disc in the tray to play it, it will automatically play it via hdd correct? or do I have to do something extra to play it off of the hdd all the time. Thanks guys if you can confirm these 2 questions.Dabbagins
1. My Xbox > System Settings > Console Settings > Autostart > Off Now you can insert a disc, close the disc tray and the game won't automatically launch. This way you don't have to wait for the game to load and then exit back to the dash before installing the game to the hard drive. 2. Games installed to the hard drive play from the hard drive automatically.