The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#351 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

Here is a damn good read on another Heyman's Blog about Punk's winning from last night. KevyR
Its not the first time I've thought or said this, but I really wish Heyman were still with the WWE, writing for Smackdown, particularly right now.

I imagine Heyman has to feel a sense of satisfaction with CM Punk's success. Punk is, in effect, "his" guy and, until Heyman gets back into wrestling, will be his last guy. I still, and likely always will, credit him for CM Punk's WWE success.

Though, among the best things that have happened for Punk over the last few years, beyond the heel turn and finally being given some damn mic time, is the de-emphasis of his "mastery" of "Mui Thai," and "Brazilian Ju-Jitsu" (Ju-Jitsu. I'm going to learn Ju-Jitsu?) and just let him wrestle.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#352 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

JimRoss.jpg picture by ForPhotoStuff

Jim Ross has a new blog entry up with his Summerslam thoughts. Highlights are below.

On the return of the Undertaker: Of course, the surprise return of The Undertaker was HUGE and seemed to add the exclamation point to what seemed to me to be a surprisingly strong Summerslam that my lovely wife thought rivaled Wrestlemania. Nothing at Summerslam could have topped the Undertaker-HBK match for me based on my long history with both me but from a female viewers standpoint I can easily see where the Mrs is coming from.

On Punk/Hardy: Jeff Hardy vs. C.M. Punk....WOW! TLC matches are all about the risks, car crashes, and "Holy ****" moments that so many fans feed off of during these bouts that have no pinfalls,etc. As I was visiting with Todd Grisham on our way to Phoenix from LA late Sunday night, I discussed with him that wrestling bouts that eliminate pins, submissions, count outs and disqualifications make them more one dimensional and make the high risk stuff the star of the show. This match was tremendous and if you could have been sitting at ringside as we were you could not have helped but feel the angst and element of profound danger that Jeff and Punk put themselves in on multiple occasions during this World Title Bout.

I hope to see both men Tuesday night in Phoenix where both are expected to be as they were in no condition after this match Sunday in LA to want to visit with any one. Nonethless I am so proud of both men and what they did to entertain the fans in arguably the best one on one TLC match I can personally recall.

So, do I think that we've seen the last of the Jeff-Punk rivalry? I don't know for sure but I "think" not and more specifcially I "hope" not. I just have a feeling that Tuesday night in Phoenix will equate to must see TV Friday night on MyNetworkTV for Smackdown viewers.

On DX: The return of DX was memorable and their entrance with all the production values was cooler than having a 'fridge full of JR's Sauces and Ketchup. It was great to see HBK back in a WWE ring and his paring with HHH certainly brought back wonderful memories of the "glory years."

Check out the full blog entry here.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#353 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

Major title swap #16 of 2009.

Jack Swagger's 104-day run as ECW Champion still remains the longest of this year.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Link256
MSN.com has an article up on Summerslam, which you can read here.
KevyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#355 KevyR
Member since 2003 • 10870 Posts

MSN.com has an article up on Summerslam, which you can read here.Link256

That was a nice little article. I felt like I was back there again!

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts
Summerslam
DX (HHH & Shawn Michaels) vs. Legacy (Ted Dibiase & Cody Rhodes) - *** 3/4
WWE Title: Randy Orton vs. John Cena -*** 1/2
TLC: World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk -**** 1/2
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 Link256
WWE Title: Randy Orton vs. John Cena - *** 1/2sephy37
So, the (arguable) cluster**** booking did not bother you?
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 sephy37

[QUOTE="sephy37"]WWE Title: Randy Orton vs. John Cena - *** 1/2Link256
So, the (arguable) cluster**** booking did not bother you?

I LOVED IT! I love overbooking in Orton/Cena matches. Everytime the bell rang, I clapped and smiled.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 The_Dude14

TLC: Pretty great. Somewhere in the 4 star range. Entertaining from beginning to end, fairly smart and not contrived (as in taking 7 minutes blatantly setting up 4 tables to fall through 20 minutes later), nice wrinkles and a couple of really brutal shots. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another CM Punk match in WWE that even sniffs this and its got to be near the top of Hardy's list, particularly if you're talking just singles.

Has it really been 9 years since TLC 1. I mean, yeah, that was Summerslam 2000 and this was Summerslam 2009, but 9 years?

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 Link256
Has it really been 9 years since TLC 1. I mean, yeah, that was Summerslam 2000 and this was Summerslam 2009, but 9 years?The_Dude14
Bit more if you include the match at WM 16, which, personally, I do.
RDeezy4twenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 RDeezy4twenty
Member since 2007 • 340 Posts
I don't know if it's just the K Marts in my area, but according to this ad Summerslam on DVD is only $9.99 this week! That's even cheaper than Wal Mart!!
The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 The_Dude14
I don't know if it's just the K Marts in my area, but according to this ad Summerslam on DVD is only $9.99 this week! That's even cheaper than Wal Mart!!RDeezy4twenty
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that, as I plan on getting the DVD before the day is done and it'll be worth a side trip to K-Mart if I can get it that cheap.
KevyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 KevyR

On the K Mart website, they list it as $16.19. I'm planning to get this DVD today as well by night time. If not, I'll get it tomorrow.

Nevermind, I just realize when I went to K Mart, it re-direct me to Sears, for that price listing. Maybe it could be $9.99 at the actual store.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 The_Dude14

Couldn't find it at the K to confirm or deny. Couldn't find it anywhere in my area, had to make a little trip to get it at Movie Stop.

For once, it ended with me only one DVD, as opposed to going on a binge... Not to say I wasn't tempted. Had there been a used WM 25, I'd have probably caved and grabbed a few shows.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 Link256

The WWE Summerslam 2009 DVD does not include the Diva Battle Royal that was the dark match for the event. It appeared as if that would be the extra, as Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole did commentary live for the match. Instead, there is just a one-minute highlight video of the match as an extra.

Credit: Pwinsider.com

KevyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 KevyR

The WWE Summerslam 2009 DVD does not include the Diva Battle Royal that was the dark match for the event. It appeared as if that would be the extra, as Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole did commentary live for the match. Instead, there is just a one-minute highlight video of the match as an extra.

Link256

I was disappointed that the supposedly "extra feature" wasn't full length. False advertisement. WWE needs to spend more time on the extras for the PPV DVD's. They need to release the event within a two or three months span, like in the early WWE DVD's, where they pack it with lots of content. Now, they release it within a month.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Link256

I was disappointed that the supposedly "extra feature" wasn't full length. False advertisement. WWE needs to spend more time on the extras for the PPV DVD's. They need to release the event within a two or three months span, like in the early WWE DVD's, where they pack it with lots of content. Now, they release it within a month.KevyR
WWE is trying to capitalize while the PPV is still fresh in people's minds, hence the rush to the market.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 The_Dude14

Link256

Good thing I really didn't care about that "extra." If extras were going to matter on the DVD, I would have far preferred fallout from Punk-Hardy. The cage match, the dress-up promo, that would get me excited to have.

Some thoughts on the show, now that I've watched it.

Firstly, this is a quality show. A lot to like, very little bad. Quality show.

The Ziggler-Mysterio opener was eye-openingly good. I think I've undersold how good Mysterio was in his series with Jericho, because Jericho is Jericho. However, Mysterio seems to have found some of his old WCW form. Ziggler really sells me on him here. This Morrison-Ziggler feud is really something to keep an eye on.

The pre-match segment for MVP-Swagger did a lot to remind me of why I liked MVP so much. This is a guy who can talk. If Raw would actually work with its midcard talent instead of against it, both brands could really be in a nice position.

I've said it before, but this biggest doofus on the planet thing just isn't working for Swagger. People aren't buying in to him as a character, though its clear this guy has the skills as a wrestler. He and MVP have a nice match, but its clear the crowd was nowhere near as invested in these two as they were the guys from the Blue Brand. Interesting.

Jerishow-Cryme Tyme. Feuding with Jericho really did wonders for Cryme Tyme, in my eyes. It seems, though, that has come to an end with the match. Its another nice match, but Cryme Tyme has gone nowhere since and HenryP hasn't been nearly as engaging placeholder competition for Jerishow.

It amazes me that it took WWE this long to figure out that if you put te mic in Punk's hand, good things will happen.

Kane-Kahli. Well, they can't all be winners.

DX-Legacy. I'll start off by saying this is probably one of the best tags I've seen WWE do in quite some time. This was definately a big performance by Legacy, as well. They looked really good here. Ya know who looked better, though, Triple H. I honestly don't think I'm trying to look for things to be critical of anymore, with Trips. I don't really want to, anymore. But these things just strike me. They are clearly there, from where I sit. HBK is clearly marked as the weak link of DX. Yes, there is a segment where Trips gets beat on for a while. That also represents the least inspired portion of the match. At no point is Trips ever in danger, Legacy's offense is unimpressive and everyone is simply waiting for Trips to power up and make the tag. The nearfalls occur on HBK. HBK is the guy who is a danger to lose. Legacy is able to counter HBK's offense. Unless I missed something, it takes both Legacy memebers to counter EVERY Pedigree attempt in the match. Am I making this up?

Regal-Christian. I'd rather have them do this than have them go out and have a 3-6 minute match than never has a chance to get into gear. Its a cheat and a tease either way, but this one stings less because, at least, WWE is up front that this match was a cheat, as opposed to giving them 5 minutes and selling it like a legit match.

Orton-Cena. There was very little I didn't like about this match. If you were expecting the Cena-Orton to end all Cena-Ortons, then, sure, you'll be disappointed. However, nothing about this match dictated that this should be the defining match of their feud. Everyone pretty much knew that this was going to continue (I think they even advertised Breaking Point during the entrances). Cena-Orton knew their spot on the card, they knew what was coming and they worked a match accordingly. Its a solid, unspectacular match that I felt was satisfying.

Maybe its by design, but I'm really struck by the multi-polar (which I'm pretty sure makes no sense) nature of Randy Orton. Is he the arrogant Legend Killer, the cowardly heel, the guy not entirely in control of his actions, Evil mastermind or what? Here, he's in full Lord VolderOrton mode. He needed a black Sith cloak.

The finish(es) is ludicrous fun, IMO. Overkill and good overkill. There's, like, one finish for each of the various Ortons. Unfortunately, the execution is lacking. Lillian was not sharp making the announcements and I'm rarely one to complain about Vince McMahon NOT making an appearance, but it might have helped, because his psychic communication with Lillian was a little too contrived. I think they rushed needlessly.

I've said my piece on Punk-Hardy. It ruled.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 Link256
The Ziggler-Mysterio opener was eye-openingly good. I think I've undersold how good Mysterio was in his series with Jericho, because Jericho is Jericho. However, Mysterio seems to have found some of his old WCW form.The_Dude14
To me, Raw EC from last year showed me that much.
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 sephy37
The_Dude, if you liked DX/Priceless, you're gonne like their Breaking Point match too. Just as good, maybe better. It's just a great brawl/fight/match that TNA tries so hard to do but always fails and oversaturates the gimmick.
The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 The_Dude14

The_Dude, if you liked DX/Priceless, you're gonne like their Breaking Point match too. Just as good, maybe better. It's just a great brawl/fight/match that TNA tries so hard to do but always fails and oversaturates the gimmick.sephy37
I can buy that. WWE hasn't oversaturated the "all over the place" brawl like they used to and TNA just has never been able to pull off.

Plus, its probably the only win the Legacy is going to get.

Doesn't look like I'll see it, though. I have no plans to buy Breaking Point. I'm cautiously optimistic about HIAC, right now.