irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 irishdude199210
Member since 2010 • 2517 Posts

They each have their own stengths, and I only got into WRPG's a few years ago, but which is better and for what reasons?

WRPG's afford more personal freedom and usually allow the player to develop a characters/character(s) as they see fit. They offer huge, immersive worlds and are focused on the idea of a 'personal experience'.

JRPG's offer alot more tactical gameplay in general and are usually more about stats than all else. They're addictive, and usually put a great deal of emphasise on story.

To be honest, I think FF games are starting to turn more like WRPG's. I like WRPG's, but FF is a JRPG and should stay that way.

What do you guys think of the two types?

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts

Here's how I see it. JRPGs are addicting games because of the feeling need to achieve everything and get a high level, but they can get boring if you do the same thing over and over and just grinding away.

WRPGs are fun to play and havea  huge world that lets the player make more decisions, however the problem with these games is that either they can be confusing sometimes you can lose interest because of the lack of rewarding feeling you get in JRPGs.

I personally like WRPGs probably because I used to spend a great deal of time playing Everquest II, World of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy XI and other MMORPGs that are close to WRPGs.

However, for some reason, even though I tend to like WRPGs better, I seem to be able to play JRPGs longer :P Kinda strange. Or maybe it's just me and I actually do play WRPGs longer and I just don't notice it 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

I very rarely like Western RPGS. Most of them have no developed characters and really cliche stories. 

They offer black and white moral choice systems that give the player only two major lines of choice and call it "freedom." 

I much prefer JRPGs where there's a lot more effort to develop the characters and tell an interesting story, usually.  

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DreadDLordD
Member since 2005 • 2413 Posts
WRPG certainly excel in some decent gameplay and a variety of ways to bring forth contingent choices from games such as Dragon Age/Mass Effect.

Only thing I can say is that JRPG's tend to have more substance and flavour with their characters that I can seem to get more emotionally invested with.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#5 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
For the SNES-PS2 gen JRPGs dominated this gen not so much unless you have a handheld. WRPGs have become so great starting with TESIV Oblivion while JRPGs started with Enchanted Arms nuff said.
Avatar image for irishdude199210
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 irishdude199210

While JRPG's do a better job of character development, it's still pretty easy to get a sense of attachment from a single character you've been using for 200 hours in a WRPG.

And as D3dr0_0 basically said, WRPG's are winning this gen.

Fallout, Elder Scrolls , Dragon Age (well, the first dragon age) - these are great WRPG games.

Then we see Enchanted Arms, Folklore, Start ocean (which I might buy some time), FF13 - these are average JRPGs. Granted there are a few good JRPGS these days (Disgaea comes to mind) but WRPGs are winning the ratio of good:bad games.

And I'm aware opinions vary wildly for FF13, so no flame wars please.

Folklore was set in Ireland and it still sucks! That says alot when you're Irish. :P

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts
I would love to play Folklore.
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 irishdude199210

I would love to play Folklore.Balmane

Believe me you wouldn't.

It SUCKS!

I'd give it about 6/10.

OnewithaBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 OnewithaBlade
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm a big story person, so any game with a good story and characters is good. A lot of the times I do like JRPGs a bit more.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ktulu007

There are only a handful of WRPGs I like. 

Fallout 1 & 2 (I did not like the third), KOTOR, and a few others.

I hate The Elder Scrolls, Fable, Dragon Age, and so on. 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 irishdude199210

ktulu007

You hate the elder scrolls?! Holy Crap :shock:

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Balmane

ktulu007

Have you played Skyrim??? It's amazing.

I have only played it at a friends but just playing it for the hour that I did I really want it! 

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maniamsmart
[QUOTE="ktulu007"]

Balmane

Have you played Skyrim??? It's amazing.

I have only played it at a friends but just playing it for the hour that I did I really want it! 

I WANNA PLAY THE NEW ELDER SCROLLS :cry:
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ktulu007
[QUOTE="ktulu007"]

irishdude199210

They have such generic stories and cliche characters that they annoy me.  

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Balmane
[QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

ktulu007

You are kinda picky aren't you :P 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ktulu007

I play RPGs primarily for the stories and characters. 

If an RPG is going avoid making either compelling by relying solely on incredibly old and obvious cliches I have no reason to play it. 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 irishdude199210
[QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

ktulu007

As oppossed to the standard 'good vs evil' of most JRPGs?

Come on, cliche characters are obviously more prominent in JRPGs. Here's the usual: Main character has an ambition. Main character meets distinctly different people along the way. Main characters reflect on their own character and often change. Main characters forgo own ambition for the greater good.

And Dragon Age origins has terrific characters, possibly the best I've seen this generation. Although Disgaea 3's characters probably win. Mr. Shamploo, for example, will always be remembered.

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Balmane
[QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

irishdude199210

Come on, cliche characters are obviously more prominent in JRPGs. Here's the usual: Main character has an ambition. Main character meets distinctly different people along the way. Main characters reflect on their own character and often change. Main characters forgo own ambition for the greater good.

And Dragon Age origins has terrific characters, possibly the best I've seen this generation. Although Disgaea 3's characters probably win. Mr. Shamploo, for example, will always be remembered.

I agree with Disgeaea and that character..... and his art of cooking BOOM!! 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 irishdude199210
[QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

Balmane

I agree with Disgeaea and that character..... and his art of cooking BOOM!!

"Spicaaaayyyyyy!" :lol:

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ktulu007
[QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

irishdude199210

The difference is that the JRPG pattern can be applied to virtually any kinds of characters/story. The result is that what you actually get is very diverse.  The World Ends with you has that very basic pattern as does Valkyrie Profile, but you wouldn't say the two games are similar, unless you have severe cranial damage.

Western RPG characters tend to either follow very rigid personality cliches or be completely one-dimensional. Which is boring. 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 irishdude199210
[QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

ktulu007

The difference is that the JRPG pattern can be applied to virtually any kinds of characters/story. The result is that what you actually get is very diverse. The World Ends with you has that very basic pattern as does Valkyrie Profile, but you wouldn't say the two games are similar, unless you have severe cranial damage.

Western RPG characters tend to either follow very rigid personality cliches or be completely one-dimensional. Which is boring.

The choices you make define the characters, nothing's pretermined. You're not either good or bad. It's far from black and white.
If you take a character with the JRPG formula and put them in a WRPG game, it wouldn't work. And vice versa.

And you wouldn't say the Elder scrolls games and Dragon Age are similar either, unless you have severe cranial damage. ;)

You sound to me like you haven't invested alot of time in WRPGs. That, and you have a vendetta against seemingly all of them.

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 maniamsmart
So many big words and persistently opinion defined statements, now I remember why I lobe my job here going over every post :P
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts
Wow.. the only real thing I could add about WRPGs and JRPGs, based on my experience, is that JRPG are long and very hard :?
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ktulu007
[QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

irishdude199210

The difference is that the JRPG pattern can be applied to virtually any kinds of characters/story. The result is that what you actually get is very diverse. The World Ends with you has that very basic pattern as does Valkyrie Profile, but you wouldn't say the two games are similar, unless you have severe cranial damage.

The choices you make define the characters, nothing's pretermined. You're not either good or bad. It's far from black and white.
If you take a character with the JRPG formula and put them in a WRPG game, it wouldn't work. And vice versa.

And you wouldn't say the Elder scrolls games and Dragon Age are similar either, unless you have severe cranial damage. ;)

You sound to me like you haven't invested alot of time in WRPGs. That, and you have a vendetta against seemingly all of them.

The moral choice systems in Western RPGs are very black and white. Even if you try to follow a more middle ground approach the game will eventually force you to choose one of the extremes. That's why the major protagonists in moral choice WRPGs are so bland and that even goes for the ones I like. 

I never said they were. I said that the Elder Scrolls characters and story are very cliche.

Yes, I have a vendetta against WRPGs. I just randomly hate them because I can. It's not like I've played them and then determined whether or not I liked them. That would be silly.

*Sarcasm*  

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Balmane

So many big words and persistently opinion defined statements, now I remember why I lobe my job here going over every post :Pmaniamsmart

I lobe them aswell :lol:

But in the elder scrolls it's all about the gameplay..... OMG DRAGONS IN SKYRIM WOOP!!! 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 irishdude199210
[QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

ktulu007

The moral choice systems in Western RPGs are very black and white. Even if you try to follow a more middle ground approach the game will eventually force you to choose one of the extremes. That's why the major protagonists in moral choice WRPGs are so bland and that even goes for the ones I like.

I never said they were. I said that the Elder Scrolls characters and story are very cliche.

Yes, I have a vendetta against WRPGs. I just randomly hate them because I can. It's not like I've played them and then determined whether or not I liked them. That would be silly.

*Sarcasm*

I don't really see how the system is black and white when you can be the leader of a guild of theives, for example, and also be the hero of the land. You don't have to do everyone the 'bad way' or 'good way', you might choose bad for some and good for others. It mainly depends on how you ultimately benefit from those choices. If 'the bad approach' was more beneficial, you'd likely choose that. *But*, that *may* have consequences much later in the game that you couldn't possibly predict. This is why it is not a simple 'black or white' choice. Obviously though you wouldn't join an assassin group and not assassinate people, for example.

And I never said The World Ends with You and Valkyrie Profile were similar either now did I? I said that cliche characters are more prominent in JRPGs.

And you really shouldn't use sarcasim in your argument, the lowest form of wit. I would have thought you'd have known that thanks to your literacy studies.

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Balmane
We don't need any fights..... We all have different opinions on what we think is better.
lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordmew
Member since 2009 • 1315 Posts

We don't need any fights..... We all have different opinions on what we think is better.Balmane

You know, this argument fight betweek kthulu and Irish makes me remember a quite similar pair. Although the more aggresive part in that pair broke together and started flaming. 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ktulu007
[QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"][QUOTE="irishdude199210"][QUOTE="ktulu007"]

irishdude199210

*Sarcasm*

I don't really see how the system is black and white when you can be the leader of a guild of theives, for example, and also be the hero of the land. You don't have to do everyone the 'bad way' or 'good way', you might choose bad for some and good for others. It mainly depends on how you ultimately benefit from those choices. If 'the bad approach' was more beneficial, you'd likely choose that. *But*, that *may* have consequences much later in the game that you couldn't possibly predict. This is why it is not a simple 'black or white' choice. Obviously though you wouldn't join an assassin group and not assassinate people, for example.

And I never said The World Ends with You and Valkyrie Profile were similar either now did I? I said that cliche characters are more prominent in JRPGs.

And you really shouldn't use sarcasim in your argument, the lowest form of wit. I would have thought you'd have known that thanks to your literacy studies.

The moral choice system is always very black and white in the WRPGs that have it. You get limited choices for any interaction most of which are either evil or good.  

And I pointed out that that's false. The pattern you cited has room for a lot of diversity in both character and story. That's why I used those particular games as examples since they both follow that pattern but their characters and stories are completely different and unique.

Sarcasm is not a low form of wit. It's been used to great effect by many great minds including Terry Pratchett, Jonathan Swift and Chaucer. 

If anything my studies of literature have made me appreciate how poignant sarcasm can be.  

maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 maniamsmart

Charles Dickens uses sarcasm and satire in Oliver Twist, and he is a great writer... :P

Just thought I'd pitch in :D 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ktulu007

Charles Dickens had a mastery of sarcasm.

So did Joseph Heller. 

I just didn't want to list all great writers who use sarcasm to great effect because it would be a really long list so I just mentioned a few. 

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Balmane

[QUOTE="Balmane"]We don't need any fights..... We all have different opinions on what we think is better.lordmew

You know, this argument fight betweek kthulu and Irish makes me remember a quite similar pair. Although the more aggresive part in that pair broke together and started flaming. 

Which led to their downfall :P 

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ktulu007

There's no call for personal attacks in a civilised argument.  

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 irishdude199210

This is civilised, but sarcasm is overused, especially on the internet.

Quite frankly, I like both genres equally, but feel WRPGs aren't getting the credit they deserve. They're different to JRPGs but that's a good thing. Ktulu, you're acting like that's a bad thing.

And IMO, WRPGs have been kicking the sh*t out of JRPGs for the last 4 years. The best JRPG I've played in that time is Valkyria Chronicles.

And Balmane etc. should know by now, I love to argue! :D That's just the way I am. Lets face it, people love reading arguments on a forum, but they need not get out of hand. This one is starting to take that turn for reasons of both parties involved here.

Thank you for this argument ktulu (I'm being serious), I think we've all learned something new about each genre.

lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lordmew
I good fight of wits is always good. You two just made me remember a certain other couple that used to argue thats all. Irish I hope you know who we talk about
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Balmane

I good fight of wits is always good. You two just made me remember a certain other couple that used to argue thats all. Irish I hope you know who we talk aboutlordmew

He wasn't here when they were here but he was here when that arguement broke out last summer..... That I do not want happening again. 

lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lordmew

[QUOTE="lordmew"]I good fight of wits is always good. You two just made me remember a certain other couple that used to argue thats all. Irish I hope you know who we talk aboutBalmane

He wasn't here when they were here but he was here when that arguement broke out last summer..... That I do not want happening again. 

uhh... That was between Maniam and Magi wasnt it? Not Dread and Magi, it were those I were pointing at 

chyng85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#38 chyng85
Member since 2005 • 4386 Posts

I love JRPG because of FF.

However I would like to try WRPG such as Torchlight.

Anyway, I prefer JRPG more than WRPG recently.:P

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ktulu007

I've played lots of good JRPGs in the past four years. 

Xenoblade has to be the best game that came out this year. 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 irishdude199210
[QUOTE="Balmane"]

[QUOTE="lordmew"]I good fight of wits is always good. You two just made me remember a certain other couple that used to argue thats all. Irish I hope you know who we talk aboutlordmew

uhh... That was between Maniam and Magi wasnt it? Not Dread and Magi, it were those I were pointing at

Wait, are you talking about the one I had between Magitekk and Maniam? Magitekk hated me :lol: She got banned though, I guess she never did cool off.

I've played lots of good JRPGs in the past four years.

Xenoblade has to be the best game that came out this year.

ktulu007

Ok then, I haven't played any particulary good JRPG's on the ps3 in the last 4 years and I don't have any other console. I hate the wii (I don't consider it a serious platform) and I couldn't be bothered with handheld consoles either.

Where the hell is Dragon Quest for ps3? I really liked Dragon Quest VIII (aka just 'Dragon Quest: The journey of the cursed king' over here) but that came out 5 years ago! (7 years since the Japanese release)

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ktulu007

I love the Wii. It has most of my favourite franchises and the exclusives that are most relevant to my interests. 

I have no real interest in the Xbox 360 since the vast majority of games that I would even consider getting for it are also on the PS3 and/or PC. I know it has good online play but I really don't care since I don't play games online if I can help it. 

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Balmane
[QUOTE="Balmane"]

[QUOTE="lordmew"]I good fight of wits is always good. You two just made me remember a certain other couple that used to argue thats all. Irish I hope you know who we talk aboutlordmew

Oh I thought you meant Valereth and Magi.... They would never stop argueing :P

Irish the Wii isn't that bad. The Wii has the likes of Metroid, Zelda and the Mario games. Zelda is amazing and it also has one of the best racing games of all time, Mario Kart. Plus Wii whooped PS3 and Xbox's butts at the start of this generation for about 3 years. 

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 irishdude199210

I love the Wii. It has most of my favourite franchises and the exclusives that are most relevant to my interests.

I have no real interest in the Xbox 360 since the vast majority of games that I would even consider getting for it are also on the PS3 and/or PC. I know it has good online play but I really don't care since I don't play games online if I can help it.

ktulu007

Why are talking about the xbox? I didn't mention it at all. And any case, yeah Xbox sucks BOOM! :P I suppose you're going to badmouth the ps3 now just because I said that.

No console wars here.

@Balmane

I already said I don't like Mario and guess what? I don't like Zelda either. Hell, I don't like Nintendo in general. Too many kiddy games. The reason it was doing so well is because it's a much more casual, 'fun', 'anyone can play this' type of console.

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ktulu007

I was giving my perspective on the consoles. 

The Wii is the one that's most relevant to my interests followed by the PS3.

The 360 I just don't care about.  

lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lordmew
Well the Zelda series is kinda good. Mario and that universe is overused. My sole reason for buying a Wii was Smash Bros. Playing with 3 friends together is some of the most fun ive had in gaming
raven325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 raven325
Member since 2005 • 2939 Posts
I love the Zelda games :P I miss the Game Cube :? My mom took it back when I got the PS3.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Balmane

Well the Zelda series is kinda good. Mario and that universe is overused. My sole reason for buying a Wii was Smash Bros. Playing with 3 friends together is some of the most fun ive had in gaminglordmew

Agreed.... Best game on Wii for me. Probably more fun than games on almost every game on PS3 and XBOX.

@Irish I guess the Wii is too childish for you. I guess there are millions upon millions of children out there that like the Wii.... including me hehehehe :P (I'm 18 btw :o )

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="lordmew"]Well the Zelda series is kinda good. Mario and that universe is overused. My sole reason for buying a Wii was Smash Bros. Playing with 3 friends together is some of the most fun ive had in gamingBalmane

Agreed.... Best game on Wii for me. Probably more fun than games on almost every game on PS3 and XBOX.

@Irish I guess the Wii is too childish for you. I guess there are millions upon millions of children out there that like the Wii.... including me hehehehe :P (I'm 18 btw :o )

Yes, it is too childish. You obviously have a higher threshold for kiddy games than me. My friend got Skyward sword or whatever it's called the other day. He's been uploading youtube videos of it. He runs around and kills giant cartoonish crocodiles etc.

Then I look at what I'm playing these days. Dark Souls and Skyrim. The complete opposite of what he's playing.

I just can't play games that are childish. I mean, I was hesitant about buying Marvel Vs Capcom 3 just because it had guys like Spiderman in it. (I still wouldn't let a good few of my friends see me playing it though)

It's not really anything to do with embarrassment, I just can't stand kiddy games. (altough come to think, I have a few friends who play pokemon games and we take the p*ss out of them)

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Balmane
[QUOTE="Balmane"]

[QUOTE="lordmew"]Well the Zelda series is kinda good. Mario and that universe is overused. My sole reason for buying a Wii was Smash Bros. Playing with 3 friends together is some of the most fun ive had in gamingirishdude199210

Yes, it is too childish. You obviously have a higher threshold for kiddy games than me. My friend got Skyward sword or whatever it's called the other day. He's been uploading youtube videos of it. He runs around and kills giant cartoonish crocodiles etc.

Then I look at what I'm playing these days. Dark Souls and Skyrim. The complete opposite of what he's playing.

I just can't play games that are childish. I mean, I was hesitant about buying Marvel Vs Capcom 3 just because it had guys like Spiderman in it. (I still wouldn't let a good few of my friends see me playing it though)

It's not really anything to do with embarrassment, I just can't stand kiddy games. (altough come to think, I have a few friends who play pokemon games and we take the p*ss out of them)

I love childish games since I am a kid at heart but Pokemon is a little far for me now. I did play it back in the day but haven't played it for years.

As for skyward sword, I really want that game and I will get it. I will play that and will like it as much as Skyrim..... Well I will probably like Skyrim more :P

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ktulu007

I certainly prefer Skyward Sword to Skyrim. 

It's not even a close contest. Â