Do you need help with your union? Post in here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 alx222000
Member since 2005 • 6180 Posts

Alright, the Soldiers of Wii is, for all practical purposes, dead.

It was given to me that way, and I did try bringing it back, with a few new threads and a weekly Wii news recap. It didn't make a huge difference, though the news update seemed well received.

And now I have returned to my job, so my GameSpot time is limited, so I had to give up on the news update. Also I spend more of the time I have with the union I founded myself, The Creators' Guild.

Due most likely to it's level, SoW still gets new recruits regularly, however, this does not create any more activity, except in the welcome thread.

So, I have a dead union, which I would like to do well, but no time to spend improving it, and not enough activity to pick a new leader that has time to heal the union.

What do you say to that?

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 just4yoshi
Member since 2003 • 5621 Posts

Here's an idea (all ideas would take some time, but this might have a high yield rate, don't know): PM all of those who were active on the union, such as those who commented on the updates and ask them to keep the union running until you get back to posting more. Then, try to visit once per day and post a message somewhere to make sure everyone still knows you are there. If your officers, etc. are excellent ones, they will try to hold down the fort for a bit. Just be sure to be seen every once in a while so they know you have not deserted them (have run into that problem time and time again). Then, if you run into that you still do not have the time, you can promote whoever was doing the most to the new leader.

It's probably not the best idea, but it might work with rather little time spent.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
I'm still here, nothing to post tho.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 alx222000

Thank you for the suggestion, however it has been over a month since my work began, so I fear it may be a little late to send, "Oh yeah, I'm going to be inactive for a while." PMs, and there was close to no activity even before I went back to work.

If you don't include the 'say something about the member before' thread (I don't), then I AM the most active poster in the union, because I post regularly in the welcome thread. It shouldn't be difficult to make my presence known provided there is discussion of some kind.

Unfortunately, the current officers are ALL in line for demotion due to lack of activity, the only reason they haven't been officially demoted is because I haven't seen anyone active enough to promote in their place. And there's that rule about having four officers.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 hendrix29
Member since 2006 • 10960 Posts
[QUOTE="Demon2545"][QUOTE="hendrix29"]

believe me... I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve that will get gamespot to at least recognize us as the better union.

AJMarra

I just checked out both unions and I can see why your union was not picked. Your union maybe the more active union but you HAVE to lose the stupid game threads...This or that and word game both are useless and spam in some people's eyes. Hurt/heal seems fine because it can't really be abused like the other two. The other union does not have game threads, that could have been a deciding factor.

It shouldn't be. GameSpot forum Rules dictate that 3 game threads are allowed to made in your Union's board. It shouldn;t have been a deciding factor.

well TES Elite was endorsed before my union even had 100 members, and I don't use the game threads in the first place, and try not to encourage them. I'm just curious where you saw the thing that only 3 game threads are allowed on the board.

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 just4yoshi

ALX: So then what exactly are you asking for?

Hendrix: It's on the GS Union Recruitment Forum, I think.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 hendrix29

Hendrix: It's on the GS Union Recruitment Forum, I think.

just4yoshi

alright I'll check that then, thanks for your help.

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 alx222000

just4yoshi
Not sure what I'm looking for, but it probably doesn't exist:?
just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 just4yoshi
Another (albeit risky) thing you could try is saying forget about the officers. If the officers are not doing their jobs, they do not deserve to be officers. It may be better to give the officership to random people than officers. While this is rather risky (be sure to check your permissions page first), you may get your officers posting again or find a new officer that takes officership seriously.
just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 just4yoshi

BTW, while I said random, you could take a quick look at your members' profiles to see how many Wii games they have as well as check their stats for forum posts (obviously, both numbers are preferred to be high).

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#111 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts

I need a hand with my union :P, i need to help motivate the officers and start to get the recruits coming in and the bard running smoothly.

but i have no idea how XD

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know :)

Kip ;)

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 just4yoshi
Okay. That is a really new union. One thing I noticed right away was the lack of graphics. One way users judge a union is based on their graphics. I did not see any banner or userbars. The banner especially draws attention. A better avatar could be useful too. Also, be sure to define what you want your union to be about (by define, I am also including being sure that the majority (>90%) of the topics are correct for the union). Let me know if you continue to have problems at the end of the week. At this stage, your union is still trying to find its place on GS.
wrapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#113 wrapmaster
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
Can I advertise my Union in here?
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 kipi19

I see what you mean, although i have no design skill at all, i've asked a friend to help me make my banner, but i'll need some help with with userbars and icons and that, If anyone could possibly give me a hand i would be very very grateful :)

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Can I advertise my Union in here?wrapmaster

This union isn't particularly about advertising unions, rather helping leaders of unions, and unions in general, by way of giving advice, and encouraging certain things pertaining to unions. Ifhelp with recruiting is what you are looking for, I suggest taking a look at Theeman2000's Recruiting Center, it has a lot of useful tips. Also, if you'd like, we could do something we call a "Union Highlight" about your union, basically it is something that we post on this unions homepage that gives information about your union. You could also speak to the leader of this union about possibly becoming affiliated with this union.

So, think about some of those things, but as far as advertising in this union, I wouldn't suggest it, there are other ways we prefer to help unions.

Cheers

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#116 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

I see what you mean, although i have no design skill at all, i've asked a friend to help me make my banner, but i'll need some help with with userbars and icons and that, If anyone could possibly give me a hand i would be very very grateful :)

kipi19

There are a number of design unions out there that Im sure would take up your request. I myself got lucky with a member is amazing at graphics design and has designed my entire union. But I would try Liquid Designs for help.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 kipi19
thanks for your help :)
Maskedgamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118 Maskedgamer1
Member since 2007 • 3158 Posts
What do you guys think I should do to get my union more active? (The link is in my sig) One of my members is currently working on a userbar, and it should be done soon.
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 hendrix29

What do you guys think I should do to get my union more active? (The link is in my sig) One of my members is currently working on a userbar, and it should be done soon.Maskedgamer1

More members= more activity. If you can find members on the wii board that like VC games, that's a good way to start.

Maskedgamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Maskedgamer1
Thanks.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Ghost_Warrior
Alright the one thing that sticks out on your board is all the sticky threads you have. Way too many in my opinion, they take up more than half your page. To me its a turn off. I'd cut the sticky threads in half. Then like hendrix said, recurit more members.
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 hendrix29
yeah, many stickies is a real turn-off for many people toward a union.
Maskedgamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Maskedgamer1

Alright the one thing that sticks out on your board is all the sticky threads you have. Way too many in my opinion, they take up more than half your page. To me its a turn off. I'd cut the sticky threads in half. Then like hendrix said, recurit more members.Ghost_Warrior

Yeah, I know.I'm getting rid of a ton of them when I have a userbar. Like the tags and union affiliates and some other ones. If they're on the homepage, then they won't need to be on the front of the board. It's just that the guy making it is having some trouble with a hyperlink, so it's taking a lot longer then I thought. I think he finally figured it out though, so it shouldn't take much longer.

And thanks for the help.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
I need help with my union. My union is dying. Barely anybody is posting and the officers aren't really doing their jobs. How do I expand my union?
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts

I need help with my union. My union is dying. Barely anybody is posting and the officers aren't really doing their jobs. How do I expand my union?blizzvalve

Recruit some members and make the active ones officers

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 just4yoshi
I havea quick question (not fully related to unions): How does one change a thread title?
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 hendrix29

I havea quick question (not fully related to unions): How does one change a thread title?just4yoshi

generally just go to edit message(your first one) and...change the title.

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts

Right now I need a lot of help with my union. We don't have enough members, enough activity,banner, sigs, etc.

Also, this is the first time I've been leader of a union, so I don't know much on how to do certain stuff.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 hendrix29
well all of those things are easy, except members a bit. For you sigs and banner, get them at a design union like Liquid Designs. For members though, I'd say look at anyone who reviewed Phantasy Star United, because you can copy their names into the admin and invite section. With more members comes more activity.
just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 just4yoshi
Thanks for the help.
Avatar image for Turbopowered007
Turbopowered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#131 Turbopowered007
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

Well, my union has pretty much died down since I've been away for so long. So when I resume leadership in September, I could use allot of help with some new officers. Also if anyone can organise competitions (like online games ,etc...) we will be gratefull.

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Ghost_Warrior
Its going to be tough to revive that union, Im guessing its about cars from looking at the topics. Its going to be hard to recruit because you'll have to find other people who like cars as well so I'd look in the off-topic section and post a topic on the union recruitment board as well. You'll also need to change your union name obviously and put up a union banner and avatar. You could try Liquid Designs for that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts
I could use help or advice for my Christian Political Party Union (CPPU) on my sig. It is designed to promote Christian political parties as well as pro-life and pro-family values. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attract many people. Any advice is appreciated.
just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 just4yoshi
Jemdude, I will get back to you on this tonight, thinking about it during the day.
phantom4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 phantom4567
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts
I need help in advertising my Union (The Pokemon Realm Union) which we're currently celebrating our first tournament, and we also need more competitors in the Tournament, uptil now we have like 14 people, but I need at least 50, so can I have some assistance?
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 hendrix29

I need help in advertising my Union (The Pokemon Realm Union) which we're currently celebrating our first tournament, and we also need more competitors in the Tournament, uptil now we have like 14 people, but I need at least 50, so can I have some assistance?phantom4567

well you'll need to recruit many more members, which I suggest doing by looking at those who reviewed Pokemon Diamond and Pearl on gamespot and inviting them to the union, that's the easiest way to get members. Also, look for pokemon topics on the wii board and other boards and invite those users.

phantom4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 phantom4567

[QUOTE="phantom4567"]I need help in advertising my Union (The Pokemon Realm Union) which we're currently celebrating our first tournament, and we also need more competitors in the Tournament, uptil now we have like 14 people, but I need at least 50, so can I have some assistance?hendrix29

well you'll need to recruit many more members, which I suggest doing by looking at those who reviewed Pokemon Diamond and Pearl on gamespot and inviting them to the union, that's the easiest way to get members. Also, look for pokemon topics on the wii board and other boards and invite those users.

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I thought that you can only invite your friends?

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 hendrix29
[QUOTE="hendrix29"]

[QUOTE="phantom4567"]I need help in advertising my Union (The Pokemon Realm Union) which we're currently celebrating our first tournament, and we also need more competitors in the Tournament, uptil now we have like 14 people, but I need at least 50, so can I have some assistance?phantom4567

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but I thought that you can only invite your friends?

not at all, there is a place right above your friends list where you can invite members.

phantom4567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 phantom4567
[QUOTE="phantom4567"][QUOTE="hendrix29"]

[QUOTE="phantom4567"]I need help in advertising my Union (The Pokemon Realm Union) which we're currently celebrating our first tournament, and we also need more competitors in the Tournament, uptil now we have like 14 people, but I need at least 50, so can I have some assistance?hendrix29

not at all, there is a place right above your friends list where you can invite members.

Well looks like you gotta give me another hint because I still don't know what to do:P I already know about going to the Admins Tab, then scroll all the way down and invite your friends, but you said something of inviting people that aren't your friends like those Pokemon D/P reviewers!

gameking193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 gameking193
Member since 2006 • 2600 Posts
there is a bar were you can type in there names instead and after you click the one button with the arrow pointing to the people you are going to invite then click invite
just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 just4yoshi
The place GameKing is talking about is right above the place where you would normally invite your friends. I find it easiest to have two windows open, one copying names from GS, the other pasting them into the invite list.
gameking193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 gameking193
Member since 2006 • 2600 Posts
yeah i do that
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts

I could use help or advice for my Christian Political Party Union (CPPU) on my sig. It is designed to promote Christian political parties as well as pro-life and pro-family values. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attract many people. Any advice is appreciated.Jemdude

First thing, of course, is to make a recruit thread in the union recruitment forum. Tell people what the union is about like you just did. Keep it simple but give enough info to let people know that you mean business.

Also, go to off-topic and fine religious topics, and you should find a few christians that frequent there. Invite them and ask them to invite their friends as well.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 hendrix29

[QUOTE="Jemdude"]I could use help or advice for my Christian Political Party Union (CPPU) on my sig. It is designed to promote Christian political parties as well as pro-life and pro-family values. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attract many people. Any advice is appreciated.yian

First thing, of course, is to make a recruit thread in the union recruitment forum. Tell people what the union is about like you just did. Keep it simple but give enough info to let people know that you mean business.

Also, go to off-topic and fine religious topics, and you should find a few christians that frequent there. Invite them and ask them to invite their friends as well.

well, I'm also guessing the majority of the people here are christian, so that helps with the invites.

Autobon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#145 Autobon
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts

How do you put links into the images in the short descriptions. You know, like when you go to a unions homepage and they have a picture and it says "directory" or "Introduce Yourself" or something and when you click on the picture it takes you to that topics thread. I dont know how to do it because there is no "add link" tool for the short descriptions. OR do you even use the short descriptions?

This union has it too, and it says "ULC" and "Intro" and "Suggest" etc. How did you link that image? Anybody who knows, please help!

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 just4yoshi
Hopefully, this pagecan help you out. It is about the code used. Let us know if it does not explain it well enough (note: did not find it myself, credit goes to whoever previously posted here on ULC).
NigelDucan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#147 NigelDucan
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts
i guess i need help with my union, really with getting more active members.
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts

[QUOTE="Jemdude"]I could use help or advice for my Christian Political Party Union (CPPU) on my sig. It is designed to promote Christian political parties as well as pro-life and pro-family values. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attract many people. Any advice is appreciated.yian

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Ghost_Warrior

i guess i need help with my union, really with getting more active members.NigelDucan

To get active members you need to give them reason to keep coming back. Start some features on your homepage, make some interesting threads on your board you could even start some game threads but I'd limit those to 3 at the most. You will only get active members if you give them reason to be active.

Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
Okay,I'm revamping my Union.New Officers,more features,more update etc. so I hope that'll help.Too bad I can't change the Union name though. Thanks,guys!