RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I've heard this term "Arab Spring" bandied about by many Western political commentators recently. It all sounds quite promising, but I don't really see much evidence of it. For example, Hamas and Fatah have united, but only in opposition to another religious adversary.

Does anyone have any information on what it stands for? Does it oppose Islam, or suggest a different nature of Islam? Or is it, as I suspect, just a load of Western spin? Any ideas, anyone?

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#2 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
From what I have been able to gather, it was a term made up by the media a couple of years after the Iraq war began. It seems to suggest that there would be an effect on people in surrounding countries, causing them to want a more democratic system for themselves. The term is now being thrown around again because of the uprisings in Egypt and Libya. It's now starting to stand for pride in being Arab and wanting to have more control over their government.

Of course, this term is western so it seems to be missing the point...as usual. The reason there have been so many protests haven't been because they are uniting as Arabs. It has more to do with the country they are in and how that government is effecting their lives. They do not seem to be throwing out Islamic traditions (which call for an integration with government), but instead asking for less hardship and more rights within that same system.
mk303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 mk303
Member since 2003 • 359 Posts

I've heard this term "Arab Spring" bandied about by many Western political commentators recently. It all sounds quite promising, but I don't really see much evidence of it. For example, Hamas and Fatah have united, but only in opposition to another religious adversary.

Does anyone have any information on what it stands for? Does it oppose Islam, or suggest a different nature of Islam? Or is it, as I suspect, just a load of Western spin? Any ideas, anyone?

RationalAtheist
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Arab Spring

WARNING: Video contains among other things a shirtless dude.

Said shirtless dude works for the devil himself........... Glenn Beck.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RationalAtheist

Arab Spring

Sounds good to me!

Storm_Marine

I don't know much about Glen Beck, or his cronies - outside of the occasional reference to him on this site.

Thank goodness too! "The fusion of entertainment and enlightenment"? Seemed more like self-aggrandising and shoddy name-calling to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Arab Spring

Sounds good to me!

RationalAtheist

I don't know much about Glen Beck, or his cronies - outside of the occasional reference to him on this site.

Thank goodness too! "The fusion of entertainment and enlightenment"? Seemed more like self-aggrandising and shoddy name-calling to me.

Shut your mouth about him and his 'cronies' then. No offense. -_-

That said I can tell even the mention of him has upsetted you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-598fc45371265

From what I have been able to gather, it was a term made up by the media a couple of years after the Iraq war began. It seems to suggest that there would be an effect on people in surrounding countries,causing them to want a more democratic system for themselves. The term is now being thrown around again because of the uprisings in Egypt and Libya. It's now starting to stand for pride in being Arab and wanting to have more control over their government.

Of course, this term is western so it seems to be missing the point...as usual. The reason there have been so many protests haven't been because they are uniting as Arabs. It has more to do with the country they are in and how that government is effecting their lives. They do not seem to be throwing out Islamic traditions (which call for an integration with government), but instead asking for less hardship and more rights within that same system.Amnesiac23

Excellent, so now they'll be able to democratically elect more people like our dear friends at Ḥarakat al-Muqawamah al-ʾIslamiyyah .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]Shut your mouth about him and his 'cronies' then. No offense. -_- Android339

An interestingly feisty response. I had assumed that you linked to Glenn Beck purely because that's where you had found the video after Googling it, but, well, I'm interested to know if you're a listener of Glenn Beck. Personally I am not a fan.

I often have him playing in the background when I'm doing other stuff on the computer. He's boring sometimes, but he and his cronies are funny guys and I agree with alot or most of their political perspective.

Give his radio show a chance, as a general rule you only see an absurdly demagogued version of him in a media. He's actually a pretty reasonable, funny, and smart guy, although it might annoy some of you when he talks about his faith.

Anyway, I was hoping to avoid a Glenn Beck discussion here, the video's not about him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Android339"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]Shut your mouth about him and his 'cronies' then. No offense. -_- Storm_Marine

An interestingly feisty response. I had assumed that you linked to Glenn Beck purely because that's where you had found the video after Googling it, but, well, I'm interested to know if you're a listener of Glenn Beck. Personally I am not a fan.

I often have him playing in the background when I'm doing other stuff on the computer. He's boring sometimes, but he and his cronies are funny guys and I agree with alot or most of their political perspective.

Give his radio show a chance, as a general rule you only see an absurdly demagogued version of him in a media. He's actually a pretty reasonable, funny, and smart guy, although it might annoy some of you when he talks about his faith.

Anyway, I was hoping to avoid a Glenn Beck discussion here, the video's not about him.

Oh and if any of you are thinking of writing 'GLENN BECK IS RACIST FEAR MONGERING LUNATIC!!!!!!1111' or anything along those lines...

Don't bother!

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RationalAtheist

Storm_Marine

"Upsetted"? Did Glenn teach you that word?

I found his site hugely funny actually - though not for the same reasons I think you do. I laughed at his adverts (for backup software and buying gold), product sponsorships and dreams of "enlightenment", but don't really know too much about what he stands for, since he is not on in the UK.

Oh and if any of you are thinking of writing 'GLENN BECK IS RACIST FEAR MONGERING LUNATIC!!!!!!1111' or anything along those lines...

Don't bother!

Storm_Marine

'GLENN BECK IS RACIST FEAR MONGERING LUNATIC!!!!!!1111' 

It does worry me that there's not even any premise of discussion here - its straight to derision! 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

"Upsetted"? Did Glenn teach you that word?

I found his site hugely funny actually - though not for the same reasons I think you do. I laughed at his adverts (for backup software and buying gold), product sponsorships and dreams of "enlightenment", but don't really know too much about what he stands for, since he is not on in the UK.

Don't bother!

Storm_Marine

'GLENN BECK IS RACIST FEAR MONGERING LUNATIC!!!!!!1111'

It does worry me that there's

not even any premise of discussion here - its straight to derision!

I think you started the derision.

'Upsetted'

Don't be a smartass. :|

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RationalAtheist

'Upsetted'

Storm_Marine

I thought Glen's chronie started the derision in your inappropriate link.

But don't get upsetted about it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

'Upsetted'

RationalAtheist

I thought Glen's chronie started the derision in your inappropriate link.

Inappropriate? Were you offended by the guy's shirtlessness?

By the way, I'm listening to Glenn right now.

heh

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RationalAtheist

Inappropriate? Were you offended by the guy's shirtlessness?

By the way, I'm listening to Glenn right now.

Storm_Marine

Inappropriate - because the crony in the video you posted seemed to make constant reference to the people behind the unrest and dictatorial over-throw in the Middle-East smelling. Perhaps "you smell" insults are still popular with the Glenn Beck crowd and I'm somehow not enlightened enough to find it appropriate though.

Don't stop letting Glen preach to you on my account. After all, there are far worse things you could be listening to! 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-598fc45371265
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-598fc45371265
But if you are serious, which I @$%@ hope you aren't... By all means delete my posts and the racist link. :roll:
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RationalAtheist

But if you are serious, which I @$%@ hope you aren't... By all means delete my posts and the racist link. :roll:Storm_Marine

That wasn't a post - there was no text. It was a link to a trollish pic.

Why shouldn't I be serious? I seriously can't believe you would share such a blinkered view of those trying to establish a democratic peace process in the Middle East.

By all means do feel hard-done-by though! But don't forget you are free to express and justify your ideas here - as long as you use words to do so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-598fc45371265
Well then sorry for polluting this board with a piece of satire.
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RationalAtheist

Well then sorry for polluting this board with a piece of satire.Storm_Marine

Thanks for your apology. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]But if you are serious, which I @$%@ hope you aren't... By all means delete my posts and the racist link. :roll:RationalAtheist

That wasn't a post - there was no text. It was a link to a trollish pic.

Why shouldn't I be serious? I seriously can't believe you would share such a blinkered view of those trying to establish a democratic peace process in the Middle East.

By all means do feel hard-done-by though! But don't forget you are free to express and justify your ideas here - as long as you use words to do so.

Btw I wrote that before you deleted the pic. Go ahead and delete the rest if you think it's racist. I'd say that you're incredibly touchy and paranoid though.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RationalAtheist

Btw I wrote that before you deleted the pic. Go ahead and delete it if you think it's racist. I'd say that you're incredibly touchy and paranoid though.

Storm_Marine

Why should I? If I wanted to delete it, why would I have responded to it? I do draw the line at troll pics with no supporting text though - we have to have some standards here.

I just wanted to see if you had any justification for posting your clip here - on this atheism forum. As it happens, you dont!

Personal insults do tend to reveal more about the accuser than the person they are trying to bait. Surely you realise this yourself when you see others loose control.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-598fc45371265
And I suppose this is racist and stereotypical of the Irish?
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RationalAtheist

And I suppose this is racist and stereotypical of the Irish?Storm_Marine

The accent wasn't anywhere near as bad as the last clip you posted. I'm not sure I see a convincing link that sterotypes Irish people with soap - not more than any other nation, anyway.

Why would you think that racist?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Btw I wrote that before you deleted the pic. Go ahead and delete it if you think it's racist. I'd say that you're incredibly touchy and paranoid though.

RationalAtheist

Why should I? If I wanted to delete it, why would I have responded to it? I do draw the line at troll pics with no supporting text though - we have to have some standards here.

I just wanted to see if you had any justification for posting your clip here - on this atheism forum. As it happens, you dont!

Personal insults do tend to reveal more about the accuser than the person they are trying to bait. Surely you realise this yourself when you see others loose control.

Well this thread is not about Atheism, it's about 'Arab Spring' and I thought a wee bit of humor regarding it's ridiculous name would be ok.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]And I suppose this is racist and stereotypical of the Irish?RationalAtheist

The accent wasn't anywhere near as bad as the last clip you posted. I'm not sure I see a convincing link that sterotypes Irish people with soap - not more than any other nation, anyway.

:|

I don't think either soap is racist, I was asking you.

The real question is why the original is fine but it's parody is inappropriate....

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RationalAtheist

Well this thread is not about Atheism, it's about 'Arab Spring' and I thought a wee bit of humor would be ok.

Storm_Marine

As far as I'm aware, the Arab Spring is some sort of affiliation that supported democratic governance and Western economic links - and specifically does not impose Islamic Sharia law on politics: i.e. is inherently secular and opposed to religious domination.

In my view, the promise of the "Arab Spring" has always seemed quite exciting, since it discounted faith in establishing power - hence my thread here.

And thanks, you have already provided me with a huge amount of humour so far. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Well this thread is not about Atheism, it's about 'Arab Spring' and I thought a wee bit of humor would be ok.

RationalAtheist

As far as I'm aware, the Arab Spring is some sort of affiliation that supported democratic governance and Western economic links - and specifically does not impose Islamic Sharia law on politics: i.e. is inherently secular and opposed to religious domination.

In my view, the promise of the "Arab Spring" has always seemed quite exciting, since it discounted faith in establishing power - hence my thread here.

And thanks, you have already provided me with a huge amount of humour so far.

Ok? That's one aspect of 'Arab Spring' and one of debatable importance....

but what does that have to do with your formentioned grievances with the video?

"And thanks, you have already provided me with a huge amount of humour so far. "

How exactly? You seem pretty insulted to me for some reason. I don't think I've ever experienced as big of a fuss about nothing on this website.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]And I suppose this is racist and stereotypical of the Irish?Storm_Marine

The real question is why the original is fine but it's parody is inappropriate....

You just said you "supposed it was racist" - make your mind up!

The real answer is I've never seen the original and was not aware of that brand of soap. The parody focused on the bad smell of the soap, rather than on the original's good smell. I also feel it's inappropraite because you didn't explain or qualify the link, but simply posted it with some short and cryptic message. Perhaps if you'd introduced it, you may have been able to relate how the clip added to the discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]And I suppose this is racist and stereotypical of the Irish?RationalAtheist

You just said you "supposed it was racist" - make your mind up!

The real answer is I've never seen the original and was not aware of that brand of soap. The parody focused on the bad smell of the soap, rather than on the original's good smell. I also feel it's inappropraite because you didn't explain or qualify the link, but simply posted it with some short and cryptic message. Perhaps if you'd introduced it, you may have been able to relate how the clip added to the discussion.

I thought my sarcasm was obvious....

I'm not following your 'Arab Spring soap doesn't smell good in the video therefore the video is saying that Arabs don't smell good' line either.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RationalAtheist

but what does that have to do with your formentioned grievances?

"And thanks, you have already provided me with a huge amount of humour so far. "

How exactly? You seem pretty insulted to me for some reason.

Storm_Marine

It's the main differentiator between democracy and Sharia in the Middle-East. If you think it debatable, then go ahead!

What "forementioned(sic) grievances" do you think I have? Please let me know, as I can't remember anything outstanding.

It would be impossible to prove how delighted you've made me today, but I can assure you I've laughed out loud more than once bacuase of your input here. With our posts, so this union grows. I don't mind being insulted directly - as I say - because I think it shows more about the person throwing the insults about than it does about me. I also can't understand why you'd be so interested in how I feel, unless this is some transference on your part... 

I'm not following your 'Arab Spring soap doesn't smell good in the video therefore the video is saying that Arabs don't smell good' line either.Storm_Marine

Please do explain it then. Is it the Iranian influence, energetic youth, Muslim extremism, the misogyny, anti-Israeli sentiment. Why does the Arab Spring smell like poo?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RationalAtheist

I thought my sarcasm was obvious....

Storm_Marine

Just checkin'. I can't read your mind - only your words. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

It's the main differentiator between democracy and Sharia in the Middle-East. If you think it debateable, then go ahead!

I didn't come to this thread to debate the definition of a stupid name.

What "forementioned(sic) grievances" do you think I have? Please let me know, as I can't remember anything outstanding.

Seemed more like self-aggrandising and shoddy name-calling to me.

Inappropriate - because the crony in the video you posted seemed to make constant reference to the people behind the unrest and dictatorial over-throw in the Middle-East smelling. Perhaps "you smell" insults are still popular with the Glenn Beck crowd and I'm somehow not enlightened enough to find it appropriate though.

Don't stop letting Glen preach to you on my account. After all, there are far worse things you could be listening to!
I seriously can't believe you would share such a blinkered view of those trying to establish a democratic peace process in the Middle East.

Like I said, you're upset about something.

It would be impossible to prove how delighted you've made me today, but I can assure you I've laughed out loud more than once bacuase of your input here. With our posts, so this union grows. I don't mind being insulted directly - as I say - because I think it shows more about the person throwing the insults about than it does about me. I also can't understand why you'd be so interested in how I feel, unless this is some transference on your part... I'm trying to figure out why you're making such a big deal out of a 2 minute video that you could have easily ignored.

Instead you act like Glenn Beck, his 'cronies' (which is name calling isn't it?) and that video have done you great personal harm.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RationalAtheist
[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

It's the main differentiator between democracy and Sharia in the Middle-East. If you think it debateable, then go ahead!

Inappropriate - because the crony in the video you posted seemed to make constant reference to the people behind the unrest and dictatorial over-throw in the Middle-East smelling. Perhaps "you smell" insults are still popular with the Glenn Beck crowd and I'm somehow not enlightened enough to find it appropriate though.

I seriously can't believe you would share such a blinkered view of those trying to establish a democratic peace process in the Middle East.

It would be impossible to prove how delighted you've made me today, but I can assure you I've laughed out loud more than once bacuase of your input here. With our posts, so this union grows. I don't mind being insulted directly - as I say - because I think it shows more about the person throwing the insults about than it does about me. I also can't understand why you'd be so interested in how I feel, unless this is some transference on your part... I'm trying to figure out why you're making such a big deal out of a 2 minute video that you could have easily ignored.

But you are the one who'se colouring in our posts now - making them unfollowable in the process! Doesn't that colour you as the annoyed one - After all, you've posted as much as I and even resorted to personal attack several times. 

I'm not the one making a deal - I'm trying to understand why you'd post your link. Perhaps you're not used to having to be responsible for what you post. I do have a duty in moderating this board, and a fascination as to why you would share (let alone admit viewing) such material here.

I wonder why someone who says they came here to bring satire to the board refuses to believe that they've made someone else laugh. I find that funny!

Instead you act like Glenn Beck, his 'cronies' (which is name calling isn't it?) and that video have done you great personal harm.

Storm_Marine

I'm like Glenn Beck? I thought you liked Glenn Beck! Do Glenn's Cronies mind my insult to them? I don't think my exposure to GB has done me any great harm (I hardly know of him), but I fear for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

But you are the one who'se colouring in our posts now - making them unfollowable in the process! Doesn't that colour you as the annoyed one - After all, you've posted as much as I and even resorted to personal attack several times.

I'm not the one making a deal - I'm trying to understand why you'd post your link. Perhaps you're not used to having to be responsible for what you post. I do have a duty in moderating this board, and a fascination as to why you would share (let alone admit viewing) such material here.

I wonder why someone who says they came here to bring satire to the board refuses to believe that they've made someone else laugh. I find that funny!

Umm...ok...:/

this is the weirdest discussion I've ever had on this site. For both of our sakes delete this thread and end the madness.....

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RationalAtheist

this is the weirdest discussion I've ever had on this site. For both of our sakes delete this thread and end the madness.....

Storm_Marine

The best thing (going forward) is to not regret what you write. For my sake, can we leave things how they stand please? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

The best thing (going forward) is to not regret what you write. For my sake, can we leave things how they stand please?

No, it's just that Pandora's box is best left unopened... at least until you know that who you are hanging out with can 'handle it'. In other words I've overestimated this place, a mistake I don't like making.

Unless you were flamebaiting the whole time... In which case...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RationalAtheist

No, it's just that Pandora's box is best left unopened... at least until you know that who you are hanging out with can 'handle it'. In other words I've overestimated this place, a mistake I don't like making.

Storm_Marine

Is this part of the script for some Schwartzenegger film? No matter how many times I re-read that, it sounds like only something a "baddy" could say at the end of a disaster movie!

Why would you want to open Pandora's Box? Why would you want to be hanging out with anyone (let alone me) when you do? Or did you just want to open Pandora's Box together with someone? What initial expectations did you have of this place that have been let down? In what way do you feel let down? Why don't you like making mistakes - is it that you don't learn from them? Will there be a sequel?

Unless you were flamebaiting the whole time...

Storm_Marine

Pot; what are you calling the kettle? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

Is this part of the script for some Schwartzenegger film? No matter how many times I re-read that, it sounds like only something a "baddy" could say at the end of a disaster movie!

Why would you want to open Pandora's Box? Why would you want to be hanging out with anyone (let alone me) when you do? Or did you just want to open Pandora's Box together with someone? What initial expectations did you have of this place that have been let down? In what way do you feel let down? Why don't you like making mistakes - is it that you don't learn from them? Will there be a sequel?

Unless you were flamebaiting the whole time...

Storm_Marine

Pot; what are you calling the kettle?

Are you expecting a line by line response to all that? Shall I provide commentary to the entire discussion as well?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RationalAtheist

Are you expecting a line by line response to all that? Shall I provide commentary to the entire discussion as well?

Storm_Marine

I wasn't particularly expecting anything else than "another" response from you. I thought you'd evade a line-by line response though, as you have.

Have you been recording your voice during our discussion? Could you provide a commentary? I thought you wanted me to delete everything a few posts ago! I'm not sure why you're asking me these things anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

I wasn't particularly expecting anything else than "another" response from you. I thought you'd evade a line-by line response though, as you have.

Have you been recording your voice during our discussion? Could you provide a commentary? I thought you wanted me to delete everything a few posts ago! I'm not sure why you're asking me these things anyway.

I can edit the posts with commentary if you ask.

"I wasn't particularly expecting anything else than "another" response from you"

Ditto.

"I'm not sure why you're asking me these things anyway."

Ditto.

Of course this will continue untill one of us stops posting. But in my honest opinion, this conversation should never took place, but of course you HAD to express your displeasure (feigned or not) about the video.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RationalAtheist

Storm_Marine

I can edit the posts with commentary...

"I wasn't particularly expecting anything else than "another" response from you"

Ditto.

Ditto.

You can go back and edit posts - as you seem to have done just now in the "What are you reading thread" by removing your recommendation of "After America:Get ready for Armageddon" and replacing it with a direct (yet impotently unfounded) insult to the taste of the thread.

That's why I quoted you - at least one of us can keep an accurate track of what's been said - no matter what you try doing with your posts. 

Is "Ditto" your best shot now? 

Of course this will continue untill one of us stops posting. But in my honest opinion, this conversation should never took place, but of course you HAD to express your displeasure (feigned or not) about the video. 

Storm_Marine

I appreciate your honesty. Can't you accept that not everyone else shares your point of view? Don't you think you should get used to people voicing their displeasure over bigoted content you post in an atheism union?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-598fc45371265

RationalAtheist

Ditto.

Ditto.

You can go back and edit posts - as you seem to have done just now in the "What are you reading thread" by removing your recommendation of "After America:Get ready for Armageddon" and replacing it with a direct (yet impotently unfounded) insult to the taste of the thread.

That's why I quoted you - at least one of us can keep an accurate track of what's been said - no matter what you try doing with your posts.

Nooooooo!!! My secret postings have been revealed by you!

And yeah, ditto is the best shot I have now. There really isn't much more to be said. But still this thread continues....

And since you brought up After America, why don't we discuss politics? Or literature. Or something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-598fc45371265

RationalAtheist

Ditto.

Ditto.

Storm_Marine

I appreciate your honesty. Can't you accept that not everyone else shares your point of view? Don't you think you should get used to people voicing their displeasure over bigoted content you post in an atheism union?

If you honestly feel it's bigoted and unfit for this union then by all means remove it. I leave it entirely to your judgment.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RationalAtheist

And yeah, ditto is the best shot I have now. There really isn't much more to be said. But still this thread continues....

Storm_Marine

It is a shame you can't rustle up any more cogent arguments here.

This thread has the capability of continuing without either of us. 

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RationalAtheist

If you honestly feel it's bigoted and unfit for this union then by all means remove it. I leave it entirely to your judgment.

Storm_Marine

You have a right to post it as much as I have a right to criticise it. To remove it would be to censore you. To remove my ability to criticise it would be to censore me.

It is all about the debate. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

Doubtful. We'll never know until we stop posting though.

Oh and it's hard to put together arguments when I don't even know what we're talking about now. Do you even know?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-598fc45371265
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

RationalAtheist

You have a right to post it as much as I have a right to criticise it. To remove it would be to censure you. To remove my ability to criticise it would be to censure me.

It is all about the debate.

What debate? Whether or not the video is bigoted?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RationalAtheist

Storm_Marine

Doubtful. We'll never know until we stop posting though.

Oh and it's hard to put together arguments when I don't even know what we're talking about now. Do you even know?

You could always re-read the thread. It magically stays there after you type - for ages! 

What debate? Whether or not the video is bigoted?Storm_Marine

During our discussion, I've posed you many questions; only a small fraction of which you've answered. I've also made a few statements, some of which I assume you object to.

I'm still trying to understand the nature of the satire in posting a clip like that here.Â