Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom or FF16 - which one are you most interested in?

• 141 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom or FF16 - which one are you most interested in? (89 votes)

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 63%
Final Fantasy 16 36%

This week we got the final trailers/showcases for each game. At this point fans should have a good idea of what to expect. I will definitely be getting both. Breath of the Wild brought Zelda into a new era while also being a trendsetter. The sequel will no doubt improve on the game to keep us entertained. It does get flack for looking more like Breath of the Wild 2 than it’s own game lol, but if it’s like a Majora’s Mask type sequel, I’m down! As for FF16, I’ll admit, this game wasn’t very high on my hype meter that long ago. I was may more excited for Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2. But now I’m a believer. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Find it funny that Max called it a Japanese Witcher. It does have some of that vibe, aesthetically, but it will be a much better game, gameplay wise.

So which one am I most interested in? I would’ve said Tears of the Kingdom last week, but I’m switching my answer to FF16. It’s got the shiny new thing going for it. How about you, SW? Tears of the Kingdom or FF16 - which one are you most interested in?

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#51  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

@st_monica: Final Fantasy XIV focal characters all look like carbon copies of each other. Lets not pretend that he has a history of creating diverse characters or that JPRG "fantasy" games are known for being diverse. They have one view of fantasy and is rooted in one idea. This directs the design of the characters and the gameplay.

What irks me the most is that the series take direct inspiration from other cultures that are not "medieval", but places no effort to show the origins or the people in which these ideas originate. The harm it causes is that it makes an association of multi-cultural ideas to a specific group of people, perpetuating ideas that are already false an problematic.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@st_monica: But it still includes influences of non European regions, so his answer still wasn't great.

The Witcher 3 fixed itself somewhat, and I do find Kingdom Come justified, it takes place in a very small part of Bohemia, which would not be diverse.

Can you remind me how TW3 got fixed, since I played it 7 or 8 years ago and never went back? And if Kingdom Come is justified, I think the same goes for FF16. He doesn't mention the specific countries they modeled it after, but it's quite possible to think of it as an isolated land, like Bohemia and other similar regions.

Again, he says that "the land" (not even called a "continent") was isolated from the outside world by plagues and other geographical and cultural factors. In other words, it was closed to trade and exchange with another continent or region where "people of color" could come from. And if that is a necessary setting for the story, then I think the lack of racial diversity there can be justified.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By st_monica
@Pedro said:

@st_monica: Final Fantasy XIV focal characters all look like carbon copies of each other. Lets not pretend that he has a history of creating diverse characters or that JPRG "fantasy" games are known for being diverse. They have one view of fantasy and is rooted in one idea. This directs the design of the characters and the gameplay.

What irks me the most is that the series take direct inspiration from other cultures that are not "medieval", but places no effort to show the origins or the people in which these ideas originate. The harm it causes is that it makes an association of multi-cultural ideas to a specific group of people, perpetuating ideas that are already false an problematic.

Well, I'm a little confused as to what you're talking about. Have you played FFXIV at all? For example, which characters and which ones look like carbon copies? (don't say Alphinaud and Alisaie though, haha) Also, what exactly do you mean by the single view of fantasy?

Your second paragraph is also unclear. I'd like you to be more specific and show me which FF entry and culture or what specific "harm" it does to whom, and what evidence you have to support it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:
@sakaixx said:

FF16. I already gave away my switch and no way I am re-buying a crap hardware.

Never going to play SMTV or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 again?

Damn, I’m surprised too.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

For me, TOTK easily. To me, the new FF looks like for most part, a complete disappointment. FF died after 10.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Pedro
@st_monica said:

Well, I'm a little confused as to what you're talking about. Have you played FFXIV at all? For example, which characters and which ones look like carbon copies? (don't say Alphinaud and Alisaie though, haha) Also, what exactly do you mean by the single view of fantasy?

Your second paragraph is also unclear. I'd like you to be more specific and show me which FF entry and culture or what specific "harm" it does to whom, and what evidence you have to support it.

This is the poster for the game. Don't confuse the game using multiple cultures with a game having diverse focal characters.

Final Fantasy has used Hinduism for its summons and lore for ages. Which games have a main character that represents the origin of that region?

Ninki Nanka and Kongomato are enemies that have African origin but you will never know that if you play the game. There are many more that can be found in littered in these games. But, I hear people arguing about lore when it comes to diversity and that is not accurate (which is a nonsensical argument for a fantasy game) however, they freely use cultures from other regions that are not associated with the blonde hair, blue-eyed folks but the align these ideas with them. So, feel free to pretend that the series is known for diversity.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

Zelda by a billion miles, but I'm still hoping ff is a great game.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Zelda, I can wait for FF16 PC version.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By st_monica
@Pedro said:
@st_monica said:

This is the poster for the game. Don't confuse the game using multiple cultures with a game having diverse focal characters.

Final Fantasy has used Hinduism for its summons and lore for ages. Which games have a main character that represents the origin of that region?

Ninki Nanka and Kongomato are enemies that have African origin but you will never know that if you play the game. There are many more that can be found in littered in these games. But, I hear people arguing about lore when it comes to diversity and that is not accurate (which is a nonsensical argument for a fantasy game) however, they freely use cultures from other regions that are not associated with the blonde hair, blue-eyed folks but the align these ideas with them. So, feel free to pretend that the series is known for diversity.

So you are saying that just based on that poster, without even having played FFXIV? That's our Pedro right there, haha.

Anyway, first of all, the characters in the poster are not identical at all, but all have different cultural backgrounds. For example, the twins Alphinaud and Alisaie come from Sharlayan, a culturally rich place reminiscent of a Nordic country, and Estinien, the Dragon Knight, comes from Ishgard, a very religious place reminiscent of medieval Christianity, with the Pope at its center. In this way, even the fictionalized European motifs represent a variety of cultures.

FFXIV also adds key characters and locations with each expansion. For example, Stormblood features areas such as Ala Mhigo, which is inspired by the Middle East, and Kugane, Yanxia, and the Azim Steppe, which are inspired by Japan, China, and Mongolia. Each of these areas features major characters with their own cultural backgrounds and their own stories to tell. Of course, this is fantasy, so much of it is fictionalized, but at least Asian cultures are represented as well as European.

There are also areas inspired by India (The Island of Thavnair), South America (Gyr Abania), and Africa (Ul'dah), to name but a few, and the characters' stories are told in these areas.

For this reason, you do not have to limit yourself to "focal characters", as there are many more characters from diverse cultural backgrounds in the story.

As for the rest, I'm again confused. I've never once claimed that the FF series is culturally diverse because the summons of the FF series are inspired by various religions. Therefore, this claim of yours is completely off the mark for me.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2928 Posts

Neither. I have completely lost faith in FF after FF13 and FF15, and I don't own a Switch. I am looking forward to Redfall and Dead Island 2.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Pedro
@st_monica said:

So you are saying that just based on that poster, without even having played FFXIV? That's our Pedro right there, haha.

You asked me to show you and I showed you. Were you expecting me to create a gallery of images of every focal character in the game? Don't be silly. And your conclusion that haven't played the, is false.

Anyway, first of all, the characters in the poster are not identical at all, but all have different cultural backgrounds. For example, the twins Alphinaud and Alisaie come from Sharlayan, a culturally rich place reminiscent of a Nordic country, and Estinien, the Dragon Knight, comes from Ishgard, a very religious place reminiscent of medieval Christianity, with the Pope at its center. In this way, even the fictionalized European motifs represent a variety of cultures.

I don't think you understood what my point. Firstly, you are pretending that these characters don't all look like they are cut from the same tree. Secondly, the issue is that they use a variety of cultures but the people all look the same, regardless of the cultural reference origin.

FFXIV also adds key characters and locations with each expansion. For example, Stormblood features areas such as Ala Mhigo, which is inspired by the Middle East, and Kugane, Yanxia, and the Azim Steppe, which are inspired by Japan, China, and Mongolia. Each of these areas features major characters with their own cultural backgrounds and their own stories to tell. Of course, this is fantasy, so much of it is fictionalized, but at least Asian cultures are represented as well as European.

Again, they use a variety of cultures yet the people still look the same.

There are also areas inspired by India (The Island of Thavnair), South America (Gyr Abania), and Africa (Ul'dah), to name but a few, and the characters' stories are told in these areas.

For this reason, you do not have to limit yourself to "focal characters", as there are many more characters from diverse cultural backgrounds in the story.

As for the rest, I'm again confused. I've never once claimed that the FF series is culturally diverse because the summons of the FF series are inspired by various religions. Therefore, this claim of yours is completely off the mark for me.

The point being made is pretty clear and you even validated it in your defense "they freely use cultures from other regions that are not associated with the blonde hair, blue-eyed folks but they align these ideas with them.". I am not sure why this concept is being lost. Representing a variety of cultures but making the leads characters of each of these culture all similar is harmful. It perpetuates the ideas of superiority, dissociates the people from the cultural reference and falsely associate all of these cultural references to a specific group of people. There is so much historical references to this practice and the harm it causes. I am surprised this is even a question.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

You should have added a third option: redfall. So Lems aren't all of the sudden liking a Nintendo game to skew the poll.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SolidGame_basic

@joshrmeyer: haha.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

What is none of the above for a thousand, Alex. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Pedro

I am not surprised that the results are upsetting Sony fannies. 🙃

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Archangel3371: Sony fans be double hating. Imagine living a life where you have to downplay and hate on Nintendo and Microsoft games.

yet you down sony? what is the difference? your hating what you want to hate no?

I like all of them just waiting on xbox to give me that AAA single player game.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Gifford38
@kathaariancode said:

I really dislike the amount of stuff on screen in FF16 plus all the amount of sparks, explosions and so on. That to me reads just as a visual cacophony.

I dont like how much damage is shown above the enemy's. i get it when it was the old way but not now. hope you can shut that off.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@gifford38: I hate on the company, not the games. The Last of Us is my favorite tv show with its love for the Strong Women and positive LGBTQ+ values.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#70 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Never have been able to finish a Final Fantasy game, as I always became bored of the grinding.

Zelda is my second-favorite series of all time.

So Zelda.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By st_monica
@Pedro said:
@st_monica said:

You asked me to show you and I showed you. Were you expecting me to create a gallery of images of every focal character in the game? Don't be silly. And your conclusion that haven't played the, is false.

I don't think you understood what my point. Firstly, you are pretending that these characters don't all look like they are cut from the same tree. Secondly, the issue is that they use a variety of cultures but the people all look the same, regardless of the cultural reference origin.

Again, they use a variety of cultures yet the people still look the same.

The point being made is pretty clear and you even validated it in your defense "they freely use cultures from other regions that are not associated with the blonde hair, blue-eyed folks but they align these ideas with them.". I am not sure why this concept is being lost. Representing a variety of cultures but making the leads characters of each of these culture all similar is harmful. It perpetuates the ideas of superiority, dissociates the people from the cultural reference and falsely associate all of these cultural references to a specific group of people. There is so much historical references to this practice and the harm it causes. I am surprised this is even a question.

1. Well, if you think they all look the same just because of the characters' visuals, that's your problem. Having actually played the game, I know that each character has unique characteristics, both in appearance and personality. But there is no point in further arguing with someone who has not played the game and does not know the background of each character.

2. As for the culture thing, I find your argument very juvenile. By your logic, it would also be "harmful" for "blonde-haired, blue-eyed people" to play black music such as jazz, rock, and hip-hop that originated in black culture, right? Do they have to give a disclaimer every time before they sing: "The song we're about to sing is of black music origin" Don't be silly, Pedro.

Having said that, it looks like you may have heard of the "cultural appropriation" argument somewhere and are misusing it. What sociologists are basically talking about is the oppressive exploitation of minority cultures by the majority or powerful group. For example, it is considered unethical for a major sportswear manufacturer to commercialize a symbolic Native American design without acknowledging its origin because the overwhelmingly powerful to steal the culture of the weak, make money off of it, and offend the dignity of the identity of those Natives.

However, what you say about the "summons" of the FF series does not apply to it at all. Just because it happens to have white-ish characters (not necessarily all of them) with summoned beasts inspired by Hindu gods or monsters from African mythology does not mean that the majority side is forcibly exploiting minorities or offending anyone's dignity. The 1.1 billion Hindus are a majority to begin with, and African mythology would be considered a common property of humanity, just like Egyptian and Greek mythology.

In fact, I first asked you specifically what "harm" and to "whom" is being done by the FF series, and what specific "evidence" supports it, and you could not answer any of them properly. Instead, you resort to some half-baked "cultural appropriation" narrative that makes no sense. You need to calm down and think about this for a minute, Pedro.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Both! My summer is going to be great!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SolidGame_basic

@joshrmeyer:

The people have spoken!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

Never have been able to finish a Final Fantasy game, as I always became bored of the grinding.

Zelda is my second-favorite series of all time.

So Zelda.

To be fair to FF.

Final Fantasy has never been Grindy, save for FF11. Or if you plan to fight the superbosses.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I remember doing some grinding in some of the older 2d FFs. Could just be that I sucked, been forever since I've played them.

But yeah, at least from 6 on, if I ever did any grinding, only because I chose to.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SolidGame_basic

Can’t imagine Conan sucking at games

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

😂

Natural talent can be a thing, but almost always start at the bottom and climb. I remember a 3d artist I used to follow referred to it as "the valley of suck" lol.

Nah, gotta be bad at something, and more importantly recognize that you're bad at something, before you can improve.

I remember thinking I was hot shit at SF2. Winning against friends and in arcades. Then it was my first online fighting game with HD Remix. I was dogshit lol.

When I first got Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, probably died to Alma at least 50 times. On normal mode! Thought I was hardstuck, almost quit.

Could go on and on. But yeah I was pretty much a dumb dumb kid when it came to jrpgs at first.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Neither really, but if I had to choose one, Zelda.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Neither really, but if I had to choose one, Zelda.

Typical sheep response AS ALWAYS.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Pedro
@st_monica said:

1. Well, if you think they all look the same just because of the characters' visuals, that's your problem. Having actually played the game, I know that each character has unique characteristics, both in appearance and personality. But there is no point in further arguing with someone who has not played the game and does not know the background of each character.

2. As for the culture thing, I find your argument very juvenile. By your logic, it would also be "harmful" for "blonde-haired, blue-eyed people" to play black music such as jazz, rock, and hip-hop that originated in black culture, right? Do they have to give a disclaimer every time before they sing: "The song we're about to sing is of black music origin" Don't be silly, Pedro.

Having said that, it looks like you may have heard of the "cultural appropriation" argument somewhere and are misusing it. What sociologists are basically talking about is the oppressive exploitation of minority cultures by the majority or powerful group. For example, it is considered unethical for a major sportswear manufacturer to commercialize a symbolic Native American design without acknowledging its origin because the overwhelmingly powerful to steal the culture of the weak, make money off of it, and offend the dignity of the identity of those Natives.

However, what you say about the "summons" of the FF series does not apply to it at all. Just because it happens to have white-ish characters (not necessarily all of them) with summoned beasts inspired by Hindu gods or monsters from African mythology does not mean that the majority side is forcibly exploiting minorities or offending anyone's dignity. The 1.1 billion Hindus are a majority to begin with, and African mythology would be considered a common property of humanity, just like Egyptian and Greek mythology.

In fact, I first asked you specifically what "harm" and to "whom" is being done by the FF series, and what specific "evidence" supports it, and you could not answer any of them properly. Instead, you resort to some half-baked "cultural appropriation" narrative that makes no sense. You need to calm down and think about this for a minute, Pedro.

1. I have played the game and was one folks who played it at launch. Your assumption to this fact is simply false. My point was very clear from the very beginning that I was directly referring to physical appearance. Please refer to Guild Wars 2 for a excellent example of usage of cultures and representation of said cultures.

2. It is pretty clear that you are not educated on the topic and lack the willingness to understand even when the concepts are broken down to it's simplest form. You viewing a historically problematic practice as juvenile clearly shows you lack of understanding on the topic. There absolutely nothing that can be said to you until you have the knowledge and exposure to the topic at hand. Again, if you believe that using multiple cultural influences under the blanket of blonde hair blue eye people is harmless then you are simply ignorant. Please refer to the origins of the Legendary Elvis Presley music and backstory.

I literally did not use the term but you are claiming that I am misusing it. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I will repeat in futility, taking cultural references and representing these cultures as blonde hair blue eye cultures is harmful.

They are not whitish, they are straight up white despite origins not being white. Nothing I have mentioned implied anything about exploitation. You are deflecting from the issue that has been made exceptionally clear. What does the population of Hindu got to do with the misrepresentation of their gods and culture? Since when has African mythology, egyptian and greek specifically became the common property of humanity? Are you seriously trying to say that these cultures belong to everyone? Just to be clear you are saying that the culture of the 54 African countries is the property of every human on the planet.🤔

Your last paragraph is a parade of ignorance. The removing of people's identity from their culture and allocating these cultures as white origin is harmful. It is the reason that sentiments that people from the African continent have no culture, uncivilized. It is also the reason why so much of the culture from the 54 African countries has been stolen, exported and in some cases erased from the locals because of this false sentiment. This practice is not limited to the countries of Africa but extended to the Americas and to Asia. The more cultures of non white origin are passed off as white the more the white superiority sentiment is solidified because there is no reference pointing to the source and credit of these cultures are being falsely associated with folks who are not part of the culture in any shape or form.

But I cannot expect rational conclusions from someone who believes the following is equal to the scope of the issue at hand.

"By your logic, it would also be "harmful" for "blonde-haired, blue-eyed people" to play black music such as jazz, rock, and hip-hop that originated in black culture, right?"

There is not much that can be discussed if you are not verse on the topic. Feel free to fallback on silly deflections and poorly though out counters. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I love the "calm down" strategy, it is so textbook for folks like you to use it.😎

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Haha, I'm surprised the Lems didn't ruin that poll too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 hrt_rulz01

@hardwenzen: Can you not respond after every one of my posts, that'd be nice.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Gifford38

@mesome713 said:

@gifford38: I hate on the company, not the games. The Last of Us is my favorite tv show with its love for the Strong Women and positive LGBTQ+ values.

YUK So no strong men? love how they want to take the values of man and destroy it.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: it's funny how you didn't mention Redfall or starfield. Your spots are showing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pedro
@gifford38 said:
@mesome713 said:

YUK So no strong men? love how they want to take the values of man and destroy it.

Yes! This one series is going to destroy values of men. 🙄

I am not sure where this men victim hood originated but it is getting rather pathetic. These are the same men who promote "manliest" but they are cry every time there is a demonstration of strong women among the 99% of strong men portrayal in media.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SolidGame_basic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@SolidGame_basic: it's funny how you didn't mention Redfall or starfield. Your spots are showing.

SW is not hyped for Redfall. 57% say it will score a 7 or 6 https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/redfall-looks-incredibly-rough-but-its-time-to-pre-33600989/

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner: this is all you man

Loading Video...

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: thats a hardwenzen thread he has zero credibility.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:
@mesome713 said:

I am not sure where this men victim hood originated but it is getting rather pathetic. These are the same men who promote "manliest" but they are cry every time there is a demonstration of strong women among the 99% of strong men portrayal in media.

I don't mind them showing strong woman its just not done right.

I talking about its one or the other. its not shown balanced. when they show a strong man the strong man does not put down woman telling them to leave or make jokes about them. mean while strong woman they show dumb white man and the woman are putting them down.

please this is why hollywood is loosing money. disney is almost out of busness loosing billions on this crap.

dont sit there and act like it not happening.

last good movie I watched was top gun because it was balanced. no over powered male or female.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12954 Posts

FF getting destroyed, lol.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Maroxad

@gifford38 said:
@Pedro said:

I talking about its one or the other. its not shown balanced. when they show a strong man the strong man does not put down woman telling them to leave or make jokes about them. mean while strong woman they show dumb white man and the woman are putting them down.

please this is why hollywood is loosing money. disney is almost out of busness loosing billions on this crap.

last good movie I watched was top gun because it was balanced. no over powered male or female.

Are you describing the Super Mario Bros movie?

Disney's worth during COVID was a fluke. It has returned to normalcy at this point. And what is costing Disney is Disney+. Functioning adults, do not give a crap about your juvenile culture wars.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@hardwenzen: Can you not respond after every one of my posts, that'd be nice.

Its very difficult. I see sheep, i quote sheep.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hrt_rulz01

@hardwenzen: I'll forgive you... I know you're just bored because you have nothing to play and not much on the horizon either 🙂

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 st_monica
@Pedro said:

1. I have played the game and was one folks who played it at launch. Your assumption to this fact is simply false. My point was very clear from the very beginning that I was directly referring to physical appearance. Please refer to Guild Wars 2 for a excellent example of usage of cultures and representation of said cultures.

Oh, I didn't know you played that infamous early version. If so, it's no wonder you have a bad impression of the game, haha. The fact is, as I mentioned earlier, the characters have become more and more diverse over the years. But if they still look the same to you, there is nothing more to say. Also, I'm not very familiar with GW2. How good does it get at representing culture?

2. It is pretty clear that you are not educated on the topic and lack the willingness to understand even when the concepts are broken down to it's simplest form. You viewing a historically problematic practice as juvenile clearly shows you lack of understanding on the topic. There absolutely nothing that can be said to you until you have the knowledge and exposure to the topic at hand. Again, if you believe that using multiple cultural influences under the blanket of blonde hair blue eye people is harmless then you are simply ignorant. Please refer to the origins of the Legendary Elvis Presley music and backstory.

Well, the reason I called your argument “juvenile” is because you so hypocritically use what you call a "historically problematic" issue as a tool to criticize the FF series, which is completely unrelated. I’ll explain how you miss the point in the following discussion as responding to your arguments.

As for Elvis, of course I understand the history of "whitewashing" the rock music genre that has its origins in black music. But in all seriousness, are you really so stupid as to extend this problem to the naming of summons and monsters in the FF series as well?

I literally did not use the term but you are claiming that I am misusing it. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I will repeat in futility, taking cultural references and representing these cultures as blonde hair blue eye cultures is harmful.

The reason I mentioned "cultural appropriation" is because even though you don't use the term, you argue in that vein, though your argument is an even more poorly interpreted version. And you have not been able to answer what harm the FF series has done to anyone specifically and in what way, nor have you been able to provide any evidence of such harm.

They are not whitish, they are straight up white despite origins not being white.

The reason I dare to say "whitish" is that white-skinned FF series characters should not necessarily be equated with actual "whites" in the real world. They are not actual representations of Englishmen, Frenchmen, or Germans who share the culture and history of their respective countries, but fictional characters from a fantasy medieval Europe imagined by their Japanese creators. For example, Cloud of FF7 is indeed white-skinned, but he does not have the same cultural or historical background as a real-life white person. The same is basically true for other white-skinned characters. That's why I used the word "whitish" in context in response to your wild attempt to equate the two.

Nothing I have mentioned implied anything about exploitation. You are deflecting from the issue that has been made exceptionally clear. What does the population of Hindu got to do with the misrepresentation of their gods and culture?

If you say it is not exploitation, then fine. I only showed the number of Hindus to show that it is not.

Also, as with the "whitish" characters, the summons in the FF series are not necessarily the same as the actual gods. For example, FF's "Shiva" is not a copy of the actual Indian mythological god of destruction, "Siva." Though its name may allude to "Siva", it was completely reimagined as a Summon with the attribute of ice power (perhaps a play on the English word "shiver"), and its design is completely different.

Also, Hinduism does not exist in the FF world, so of course such religious references are not included in the lore at all. It should be called a parody or reference, not a misrepresentation. Again, tell me specifically how Hindus were harmed by this.

Since when has African mythology, egyptian and greek specifically became the common property of humanity? Are you seriously trying to say that these cultures belong to everyone? Just to be clear you are saying that the culture of the 54 African countries is the property of every human on the planet.🤔

The ancient myths can generally be considered as the historical heritage of mankind as a whole. Of course, they certainly belong to each culture in their origin. But there is no rule that says that one should not freely refer to them, except for exploitative purposes, as I just explained with the Native American example of "cultural appropriation".

But let's be specific here. Actually, there are not many references to African culutres in the FF series. Ninki Nanka and Kongomato, which you mentioned, are among the few examples. They are certainly believed to be imaginary creatures in parts of Africa. However, they are not objects of belief, nor do they have any significant cultural background.

Again, what harm is done to the natives of Africa by using their names for monsters in FF games? Who in Africa is complaining anyway? Tell me the specific "harm", not abstract arguments like "because white people used to exploit them, blah-blah-blah".

Your last paragraph is a parade of ignorance. The removing of people's identity from their culture and allocating these cultures as white origin is harmful. It is the reason that sentiments that people from the African continent have no culture, uncivilized. It is also the reason why so much of the culture from the 54 African countries has been stolen, exported and in some cases erased from the locals because of this false sentiment. This practice is not limited to the countries of Africa but extended to the Americas and to Asia. The more cultures of non white origin are passed off as white the more the white superiority sentiment is solidified because there is no reference pointing to the source and credit of these cultures are being falsely associated with folks who are not part of the culture in any shape or form.

Well, indeed, as you have so desperately tried to explain, the deprivation of Africa and Asia was done by Westerners. Yes, they colonized many of these countries and committed terrible depredations against their people, resources, and cultures. No one denies that.

But again, we should not equate the naming of monsters in FF with the completely unrelated evil of the cultural plundering of Africa and Asia by Westerners. The former is just a harmless video game; the latter is a major historical crime with real damage and victims.

Btw, speaking of Africa, do you know why there are as many as 54 countries? It is mainly the result of the arbitrary division and governance by Western colonizers in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There were never that many countries in Africa to begin with. I say this because you seem to be using "54 countries" as if it were a number that represents the cultural diversity of Africa without being aware of it.

Back to the topic and the "misrepresentation of culture" thing, do you really think that there are idiots in this world who think that just because they are summoned by a "white man" in a video game that the summoned beast is from the west? Or that there are enemies named after African mythology without reference that appear in a video game and think they belong to another culture? Why don't you just admit that you're just making up false "harms" to attack the FF series that you don't like?

But I cannot expect rational conclusions from someone who believes the following is equal to the scope of the issue at hand.

"By your logic, it would also be "harmful" for "blonde-haired, blue-eyed people" to play black music such as jazz, rock, and hip-hop that originated in black culture, right?"

Well, I gave that example about black music to show the emptiness of your argument. In fact you can't even answer that simple question properly because you know you are talking nonsense.

There is not much that can be discussed if you are not verse on the topic. Feel free to fallback on silly deflections and poorly though out counters. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Well, let's face it, Pedro. This is what happened. You were desperately looking for material to criticize the FF series for whatever reason. You found an argument somewhere on the Internet that white people in this game summon or fight gods and monsters from non-Western mythology, and that their origins are not mentioned.

You, or the forum where you found it, probably thought you could use this to problematize the game as having content that affirms the white man's dispossession of other cultures. So you desperately talk about the exploitation of Africa/Asia by the West.

But let's be real, this has nothing to do with the FF series directly, and you yourself know very well that neither Indians nor Africans are complaining about this game, because the only ones complaining are you and some FF haters who made up the problem themselves.

How juvenile and hypocritical.

I love the "calm down" strategy, it is so textbook for folks like you to use it.😎

Again, you should calm down, Pedro, haha.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pedro

@gifford38 said:

Done right?🙄 By who's standard?

Balance? You can't be serious about balance. The imbalance between males and females has been part of history for hundreds of years and the one time in which women are portrayed as dominant in the minority of films/games/etc you are crying foul? Don't be silly.

The absurdity that white men are the victims of this imaginary crime is the biggest and most nonsensical joke of modern-day life. Despite being the focal point, most catered to group for hundreds of years, you are here crying about a few media creations that don't cater to you like a spoilt child.😂

Stop acting like you are a victim because you are objectively not.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

Done right?🙄 By who's standard?

Balance? You can't be serious about balance. The imbalance between males and females has been part of history for hundreds of years and the one time in which women are portrayed as dominant in the minority of films/games/etc you are crying foul? Don't be silly.

The absurdity that white men are the victims of this imaginary crime is the biggest and most nonsensical joke of modern-day life. Despite being the focal point, most catered to group for hundreds of years, you are here crying about a few media creations that don't cater to you like a spoilt child.😂

Stop acting like you are a victim because you are objectively not.

im not a victim but our children are. my 6 year old son ask me the other day if he suppose to be gay because he is white because his class mates told him that.

kids are confused today. it needs to stop.

luke skywalker could not be allowed to teach ray the force because of the modern audience.

im no victim im just stating what is happening in hollywood.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Maroxad

@gifford38 said:

im not a victim but our children are. my 6 year old son ask me the other day if he suppose to be gay because he is white because his class mates told him that.

kids are confused today. it needs to stop.

luke skywalker could not be allowed to teach ray the force because of the modern audience.

im no victim im just stating what is happening in hollywood.

How does having strong women represented in video games do any harm?

If anything, we need more role models for healthy and fit people. For both men and women.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#98 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@texasgoldrush said:

Did you hear? There was no people of color in medieval Europe, the FFXVI director said.

Funny how you don't have that same energy for The Witcher games. Those games were very white. At least the FFXVI characters look some kind of mixed white-Asian race. The Witcher characters are just straight-up white.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#99  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts
@Pedro said:

Fang (FFXIII)

@Pedro said:

FFXIV races

Meanwhile...

The Witcher 3 characters

Comparatively speaking, WRPGs are far less diverse than JRPGs. The vast majority of WRPGs are just all white people and medieval European culture. Where's the same energy for WRPGs like The Witcher which are far less diverse than FF?

Whenever I see white liberals attacking Japanese media over diversity... It just comes across like, "hey look, at least we're not as racist as those Japanese people!" Which is itself quite xenophobic. It's essentially a way of deflecting white guilt onto another nation who had jack all to do with the history of racial oppression in the West... Though that's not to say Japan doesn't have its own dark history of oppression against other East/Southeast Asians (who'd be considered the same "race" as them in the West).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Pedro

@Jag85 said:
@Pedro said:

Fang (FFXIII)

@Pedro said:

FFXIV races

Meanwhile...

The Witcher 3 characters

Comparatively speaking, WRPGs are far less diverse than JRPGs. The vast majority of WRPGs are just all white people and medieval European culture. Where's the same energy for WRPGs like The Witcher which are far less diverse than FF?

Whenever I see white liberals attacking Japanese media over diversity... It just comes across like, "hey look, at least we're not as racist as those Japanese people!" Which is itself quite xenophobic. It's essentially a way of deflecting white guilt onto another nation who had jack all to do with the history of racial oppression in the West... Though that's not to say Japan doesn't have its own dark history of oppression against other East/Southeast Asians (who'd be considered the same "race" as them in the West).

What about Fang?

FFXIV races? Are you seriously trying to pass that off as equivalency to the human race? Did you understand the conversation before jumping in? You inadvertently demonstrated my point while trying to prove the contrary.

It is interesting that you decided to pick on a game in which there is no character customization from the West to compare. If you want something comparable I provided Guild Wars 2. Just so you know, The Witcher 3 was called out on its lack of diversity. Not sure why you are using whataboutism. It doesn't make the criticism less valid just deflects. Claiming that WRPGs are far less diverse than JRPGs is absolutely comical it is beyond bizarre that you actually believe that falsehood.