Zelda alone gives the Switch a better launch lineup than PS4 or XB1

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

Im more concerned with the fact that in 2017 Nintendo still cant produce a system that has noticeably better visuals then a 360/PS3.

It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. It's not a battle they can fight, given that Sony and Microsoft are far bigger, richer conglomerates

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20249 Posts

@BassMan said:
@silversix_ said:
@BassMan said:
@emgesp said:

Zelda alone is the only reason to even buy a Switch at launch. Its like the launch it specifically created for hardcore Zelda fans and not much else.

That is pretty much how it is for me. I never wanted to buy a Wii U, plus Zelda runs like shit on the Wii U from what I have seen. I pre-ordered a Switch this morning at my local EB Games just for Zelda. I will pick up Mario Odyssey and any other noteworthy titles in the future.

Did they charge you to pre-order or was it free?

I had just over $100 on an Edge card that I put towards it. I didn't even ask how much you had to put down. I used to work for EB Games many years ago and it used to be $50 for console pre-orders. I don't know what it is now.

It's still $50, just did my preorder on Gamestop which owns EB Games

MetalGearJoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 MetalGearJoel
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts

Will definately get a Switch one day, just not near launch. Being 400 dollars in Canada is a big no no, especially having a dusty ol' Wii U waiting to play Zelda: BoTW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@BassMan said:
@silversix_ said:
@BassMan said:
@emgesp said:

Zelda alone is the only reason to even buy a Switch at launch. Its like the launch it specifically created for hardcore Zelda fans and not much else.

That is pretty much how it is for me. I never wanted to buy a Wii U, plus Zelda runs like shit on the Wii U from what I have seen. I pre-ordered a Switch this morning at my local EB Games just for Zelda. I will pick up Mario Odyssey and any other noteworthy titles in the future.

Did they charge you to pre-order or was it free?

I had just over $100 on an Edge card that I put towards it. I didn't even ask how much you had to put down. I used to work for EB Games many years ago and it used to be $50 for console pre-orders. I don't know what it is now.

It's still $50, just did my preorder on Gamestop which owns EB Games

$50, yeah

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#105 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I love Nintendo and I love Zelda. But what the hell am I gonna do with this 300 dollar paperweight once I finish Zelda? There's literally nothing else that grabs me except for Mario Odyssey. Any other games I end up buying will just be pity games to so I can blow the dust off the switch. I will admit, the Xbox One's launch wasn't really that much better, but it DID have a more appealing library at launch, along with the PS4, than the Switch. Seriously, this is the worst Nintendo launch since Mario 64, and only a Nintendo die hard won't be able to see that.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#106 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Well, I don't care if it has Zelda. People droll over Zelda way too much.

I will wait a Metroid game to convince me to buy the system. And I ain't paying for that online thing no way. One gaming subscription is enough. And Nintendo has Stone Age online infrastructure.

ArcticWolf77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ArcticWolf77
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts

The Switch is looking like a disaster, and is not worth the $300 for one game.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#108 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Well, I don't care if it has Zelda. People droll over Zelda way too much.

I will wait a Metroid game to convince me to buy the system. And I ain't paying for that online thing no way. One gaming subscription is enough. And Nintendo has Stone Age online infrastructure.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@charizard1605: Im not saying they need to compete with Pro/Scorpio but could they at least produce something on par with the original PS4 in 2017?

They are about 10 years behind the competition at this point. And the lack of backwards compatibility is mind boggling. Yes i know it doesn't play disk but why not allow Wii U owners to verify purchases of there games to be played digitaly on switch? This thing needs to be an all in one Nintendo Hub and they missed the mark.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#110 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69601 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

@charizard1605: Im not saying they need to compete with Pro/Scorpio but could they at least produce something on par with the original PS4 in 2017?

They are about 10 years behind the competition at this point.

Its all about the gimmicks not graphics.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Quicksilver128 said:

Im more concerned with the fact that in 2017 Nintendo still cant produce a system that has noticeably better visuals then a 360/PS3.

It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to. It's not a battle they can fight, given that Sony and Microsoft are far bigger, richer conglomerates

They completely cleaned up with the Wii, made a shit ton of money that would have funded pretty much anything they wanted to do next and what did they do? Wii U. Cheap ass junk hardware that literally only had to be good enough to play Mario and Zelda games with shit graphics.

Big company with horribly dated small time mentality that survives by rimming their hardcore fans with junk hardware at exorbitant prices to play the same old shit over and over again. The problem they have is you can't keep making the same mistake repeatedly. Too many people got mugged with the Wii U and will wait before buying the Switch specially since the only game worth playing on it is already on Wii U.

I think this is Nintendo's last console, end of an era and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Zelda is all you need at launch, I mean who would want some shit like Ass Creed when you can play freakin' Zelda? Get. Real.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#113 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

You forgot about Resogun! I put more hours into that than any other launch title. Honestly though, Zelda isn't enough for me to buy a console at launch. I bought the X1/PS4/Wii U all at launch and didn't use my Wii U enough (ended up selling it). I'll keep an eye on it over the year and see what else comes out. Maybe get a clearer picture of their online/community features too.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#114  Edited By milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Yeah, console launch lineups tend to be pretty bad, which is why I very rarely purchase them day one (think I only did that for the Gamecube). But in the present case, and even if I already own a WiiU, I've preordered the Switch. I'll start with Zelda and Bomberman... the first six months are actually not bad, there are already ten games I'm seriously interested in. And I don't give a damn about multiplats, since I'm mainly a PC gamer (though the Switch's portability might make me double-dip in the future, who knows).

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#115 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'd rather have a variety of games instead of just one... but that's me.

you'd rather pay $60 each for a handful of shitty games instead of paying $60 for one great game?

@stereointegrity said:

Lol no...... Outside of Zelda there is only 6 other launch titles.... Weakest launch of any system ever

zelda is all you need.

Your assessment of "shitty" isn't something others are bound to.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@Quicksilver128: the power clearly isn't the selling point of the Switch. It's being able to game in unique ways. They are making good use of the Joy Con controllers and being able to Switch up how you game.

Power is and always will be overrated. Consoles wouldn't even exist, we would all be PC gamers.

I'm far more excited for the Switch than I was for the PS4/Xbone. They were basically the same old s###. Not that that makes them bad, they are both good but they are the PS3/Xbox 360 on steroids and basically the same thing. The Switch is creative and unique and there is nothing else out like it.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@princeofshapeir said:

and voice acting

Voice acting! Nintendo never fails to innovate!

Anyway, I haven't played a Zelda game that didn't bore me to tears. Finished Twilight Princess on the Wii and it was less than mediocre. Tried Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker HD and couldn't get past the first hour. So it's an easy decision for me not to buy the Switch at launch. But it's nice that you are so excited. You can do things never done in any game before. Like rolling a boulder onto unsuspecting opponents. So cool!

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 blueinheaven

@wiiboxstation said:

@Quicksilver128: the power clearly isn't the selling point of the Switch. It's being able to game in unique ways. They are making good use of the Joy Con controllers and being able to Switch up how you game.

Power is and always will be overrated. Consoles wouldn't even exist, we would all be PC gamers.

I'm far more excited for the Switch than I was for the PS4/Xbone. They were basically the same old s###. Not that that makes them bad, they are both good but they are the PS3/Xbox 360 on steroids and basically the same thing. The Switch is creative and unique and there is nothing else out like it.

'game' is not a fucking verb. I don't see what's unique about it, handhelds are not a new thing. I suppose you can plug it into your TV so the handheld graphics look even worse on a big screen is that what you are shouting about as being 'new'?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

you might have some sort of point if this was 2013 and the xbone and ps4 launch lineups mattered

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Quicksilver128

@wiiboxstation: Sorry but that's not true.. The PS4 and XB1 while not on the cutting edge of tech are still providing high end experiences. They provide that experience while being convenient and that is the selling point .

Outdated hardware and gimmicks will only get Nintendo so far.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Wiiboxstation

@blueinheaven: do you follow anything to do with the Switch at all?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 blueinheaven

@wiiboxstation said:

@blueinheaven: do you follow anything to do with the Switch at all?

I've read as much about it as you probably have. I know exactly what it is if that's your question?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Wiiboxstation

@Quicksilver128: do you consider the 3ds to have great hardware sir?

Well what you call gimmicks I call risk taking and creativity.

We obviously have to agree to disagree on this. Nintendo's gimmicked up hardware is far more interesting than anything Sony and Microsoft are doing or have done. As an owner of the PS4/Xbone consoles they are practically the same thing. One console has a few more pixels on the screen.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#124 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@jagoff said:

I don't think anyone here was saying that the Switch was going to have lousy first-party support. Nintendo more or less delivers in this regard. The real concern is whether or not the system will have a sustainable third-party element, as the lack of that played a hand in the Wii-U's failure, and it doesn't look any more promising with the Switch.

You're excited for Zelda, and I get that, but calm your tits. This system can easily fall into the same trap the Wii-U did.

That is not the concern at all. Because it won't, and we all know it. And because nobody is waiting for it to get third party support either, because we can all play those games already.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

So can anyone genuinely justify the price of this console? It is exactly the same price as the XB1s and PS4 Pro, but is much weaker and will have less features.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Quicksilver128: **** is the difference btw ps4 and pro ? Shit **** is the difference btw 4k and 1080p ?

W.e it is its not big. The leap from ps2 will never be as big again.

Real life its self isnt to far from og ps4

Nintendo is to respected to be affected by resolution. I bought a ps4 becuase i know what comes in the future for

Your simple headed ass think a launch game could make ppl who are use to xbone or ps will jump ship for it.

Only a consistency of "hardcore" and change of focus ip wise can make somone ship

Its like asking will adult swim watchers watch tonomi at 5pm just cuase one of their shows can borderline or pass to be on adult swim later.

The switch is toonomi or maybe even disney xd lol weather it technically has better shows are not , it cant compare to adult swim (ps/xb)

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Quicksilver128

@Livecommander: Don't call me simple headed and then write a paragraph that is practically unreadable.

Its not just about resolution its about asset quality and overall visual presentation. This visually looks no better then what could have been done on the 360/PS3. There is no WOW factor and when the best game on the system can be bought on the current hardware with virtually no difference then whats the point? The audience Nintendo is after no longer exist. There playing mobile phones and there never coming back.. so all thats left is the Nintendo faitful.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Quicksilver128

@wiiboxstation: No it didn't have great hardware and it didn't need it because it was geared for children. The problem is the handheld market has been canibalized so Nintendo is trying to merge both handheld and consoles into one platform. They should have focused more on the console part and less on the portable part.

If you think rehashed motion controls and touchscreens are more interesting then nice hardware for a good price with loads of games then thats your opinion. I just dont see it working for Nintendo.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Launches haven't been stellar in recent times, I'll survive. It gets Zelda though so it automatically isn't bad.

pastro243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 pastro243
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

Switch isn't competing with the PS4 and Xbone from 2013, it's going against them in 2017, where they both already have many of the games announced for it and hundreds more

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:

So can anyone genuinely justify the price of this console? It is exactly the same price as the XB1s and PS4 Pro, but is much weaker and will have less features.

It plays Zelda and Mario and Splatoon and Xenoblade

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#132 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah Zelda looks to be something very special, I agree it's better than the other launch line ups. I just hope I can have the option for Japanese voice with English Dub, if not I'll have to import.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#133  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@jagoff said:

I don't think anyone here was saying that the Switch was going to have lousy first-party support. Nintendo more or less delivers in this regard. The real concern is whether or not the system will have a sustainable third-party element, as the lack of that played a hand in the Wii-U's failure, and it doesn't look any more promising with the Switch.

You're excited for Zelda, and I get that, but calm your tits. This system can easily fall into the same trap the Wii-U did.

The biggest problem with the Wii U is that it never had any momentum. The launch lineup was rather lackluster, and it took almost a year for the first big title to be released. By that time, most people had lost interest.

Having Zelda on day 1 helps alleviate that in a way the Wii U never had.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

The fact that I don't have to buy a Switch to play it kind of negates it's status as a system seller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Xaero_Gravity said:

The fact that I don't have to buy a Switch to play it kind of negates it's status as a system seller.

You getting BotW tho?

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

sad but true zelda alone trumps what ps4 and xbox one put out as launch games

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@charizard1605: On Wii U for sure. I'll pick up a Switch once XB2 is out.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#138 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I agree

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

...soooo a multiplat game being released on the switch-U is better than.. the XBO/PS4 launches.. Lolololol..

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

I am cautiously obtimistic with this new zelda. I though Skyward Sword was complete garbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@OhSnapitz said:

...soooo a multiplat game being released on the switch-U is better than.. the XBO/PS4 launches.. Lolololol..

You don't think Breath of the Wild is potentially better than any game available at PS4/XONE launches?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

@kvally: How the hell have u never played Zelda? I swear, xbox gamers seem to have missed some of the best games ever. Halo and KOTOR were good but Nintendo and Sony had absolute masterpieces in their heyday

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By OhSnapitz

@charizard1605: Honestly.. Yes it is better than any ONE game.. but.. 1. It's a multiplat 2. It's one game within a VERY slim library. Like seriously.. a Dance revolution game? I didnt need Mario perse but at least secure a few 3rd party games..

* Ghost Recon wild lands launches the same week and it looks like a polished 360 game.

* Lego Worlds drops in February.. i wouldn't have bought it but its atleast SOMETHING.

* RE7 would've been a nice pick up, if i had faith the system could actually run it.

...and what about last years 3rd party offerings? WWE 2K17, NBA 2K17, Madden 17, Batman Telltale, Dragonball X2, ect.. Most if not all of those games are not hardware intensive (kinda sorta).. That tells me either a) companies recieved their dev kits hella late or b) The hardware is too weak to support even the "weakest" games..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@OhSnapitz: Well, I agree with everything you said, yes. The launch lineup is super weak outside of Zelda. I just do think Zelda is going to be amazing, so it sort of makes up for it. A bit like N64, I guess?

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 OhSnapitz

@charizard1605: Gotta disagree with you there.. (if my memory serves me) the N64 had Mario 64, Pilot wings, Wave Race 64, Mortal kombat, Star wars and Killer Instinct Gold all within the first 3 months. That completely sh*ts on the switch-U lineup. But hey maybe the lineup hasn't been finalized yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@OhSnapitz said:

@charizard1605: Gotta disagree with you there.. (if my memory serves me) the N64 had Mario 64, Pilot wings, Wave Race 64, Mortal kombat, Star wars and Killer Instinct Gold all within the first 3 months. That completely sh*ts on the switch-U lineup. But hey maybe the lineup hasn't been finalized yet.

If we are going with first three months, the Switch will have Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Minecraft, Rime, Disgaea 5, all that jazz. I thought we were referring to launches only. N64 launched with Mario 64 and Wave Race. Switch launches with Zelda, and seven other games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#147  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17816 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@OhSnapitz said:

If we are going with first three months, the Switch will have Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Minecraft, Rime, Disgaea 5, all that jazz. I thought we were referring to launches only. N64 launched with Mario 64 and Wave Race. Switch launches with Zelda, and seven other games.

N64 launched with Mario 64 and Pilot Wings 64. Not Wave Race. Get it right young grasshopper.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@BassMan said:
@charizard1605 said:
@OhSnapitz said:

N64 launched with Mario 64 and Pilot Wings 64. Get it right young grasshopper.

Lol, right. I meant it launched with two games only, basically.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I would say it is true, but not really all that fair. Nintendo pulling this whole make a game for WiiU and call it a new game for launch seems a bit cheap to me. (and this is coming from a BIG Nintendo fan.)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@BassMan said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

If you own a PC, a PS4, and you still bought an Xbox One (weaker and essentially useless), then you probably shouldn't be joking on gamers who own a WiiU and decided to buy a Switch. Just saying lol.

Or is it ok to buy a redundant platform as long as it's from a different company? Where do you draw the line?

The XB1 was worth buying prior to the Play Anywhere initiative. How else was I going to play Forza 5, 6, Horizon 2, Halo MCC, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive?

Eh, my post wasn't really directed towards you, though you sort of got to the point anyways.

Games.

You bought a platform that is pretty similar to platforms you already own, only weaker, because it had some games you wanted to play. It's just that simple.

So people who have beef with others buying a Switch, even if it's not really much better than the WiiU, should understand that and really shouldn't be hypocrites about it.

Doesn't matter if the games on Switch could have worked on the WiiU. It's not our call. Nintendo is making a new console and with that new console will come new games. If you want to play those games, you'll have to buy a Switch.

I'm not saying that it's ideal. But it is what it is. I've been seeing so many comments that basically boil down to "Nintendo fans should rebel, and rage against the machine Arrgghh!", but of course that's unrealistic as fvck lol.