You biggest personal dissapointment about wiiu

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I can't choose any one thing, there are too many.

Still, it's a good console.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

3D World is absolutely a true 3D Mario platformer and it wrecks the shit out of Sunshine. It comes off as a somewhat disappointing follow up to Galaxy 2 as the level design had to be dialed back to accommodate multiple players, but it's still a damn good game and I do appreciate that they went for a different feel.

My biggest gripe about the WiiU is the 1st party output in general. Good games no doubt, but they also feel like they came off an assembly line. It's like that soulless status quo feel of the NSMB games managed to creep its way into their design philosophy as a whole. Every gen Nintendo has made at least one game that just blows the majority of other games out of the water, that still hasn't happened here. They're just happy to be safe with their by-the-numbers design, the push for creativity and overall ambition has been all but completely absent.

I know it sounds like I'm being too harsh about Nintendo, but shit dudes, I hold Nintendo to a high standard. A higher standard than pretty much any other game company. For nearly 3 decades I was conditioned to expect the best of the best from Nintendo, a company that always strives to 1up their previous efforts as game designers. Now I get the feeling that they release games with the mindset of "Hey, this is good enough."

What it really comes down to is that I buy Nintendo consoles almost strictly for Nintendo games. It's not like buying a Playstation or an Xbox where you know that most of the 1st party stuff is going to be mediocre, but you expect 3rd parties to pick up the slack. So if Nintendo can't impress on their own console, then you're shit outta luck.

To a much lesser extent, I was expecting some cool things from the tablet. I figured 3rd parties would ignore it, but I thought that at least Nintendo would do some brilliant things with it. Nah. I supported the idea of the tablet when it was first revealed. A controller with all the inputs of a standard controller and a decent sized touch screen? What's not to like? Yet in the long run it didn't really offer much and it's clear that they could have gone without it.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

no significant price drop

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

I have enjoyed the console, but I am pissed that there is no true 3D Mario platformer along the lines of 64, sunshine and the galaxy duo. That is my favorite series, and the system feels incomplete without it. Ihonestly will not consider an NX until on is announced(if at all).

Agree with the 3d mario statement.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

3D World is absolutely a true 3D Mario platformer and it wrecks the shit out of Sunshine. It comes off as a somewhat disappointing follow up to Galaxy 2 as the level design had to be dialed back to accommodate multiple players, but it's still a damn good game and I do appreciate that they went for a different feel.

My biggest gripe about the WiiU is the 1st party output in general. Good games no doubt, but they also feel like they came off an assembly line. It's like that soulless status quo feel of the NSMB games managed to creep its way into their design philosophy as a whole. Every gen Nintendo has made at least one game that just blows the majority of other games out of the water, that still hasn't happened here. They're just happy to be safe with their by-the-numbers design, the push for creativity and overall ambition has been all but completely absent.

I know it sounds like I'm being too harsh about Nintendo, but shit dudes, I hold Nintendo to a high standard. A higher standard than pretty much any other game company. For nearly 3 decades I was conditioned to expect the best of the best from Nintendo, a company that always strives to 1up their previous efforts as game designers. Now I get the feeling that they release games with the mindset of "Hey, this is good enough."

What it really comes down to is that I buy Nintendo consoles almost strictly for Nintendo games. It's not like buying a Playstation or an Xbox where you know that most of the 1st party stuff is going to be mediocre, but you expect 3rd parties to pick up the slack. So if Nintendo can't impress on their own console, then you're shit outta luck.

To a much lesser extent, I was expecting some cool things from the tablet. I figured 3rd parties would ignore it, but I thought that at least Nintendo would do some brilliant things with it. Nah. I supported the idea of the tablet when it was first revealed. A controller with all the inputs of a standard controller and a decent sized touch screen? What's not to like? Yet in the long run it didn't really offer much and it's clear that they could have gone without it.

Once I seen that Mario Kart used the tablet as a horn, I knew we wern't going to see anything significant.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

This is a great post, and sadly, true. It's worrisome that what's the disappointment here doesn't have much to do with the U at all, but with Nintendo and their ambition. This is why I fear for the NX, because a new system is not going to solve such a problem. I can't say if it's laziness, if they're scared, creatively bankrupt, or just too fiscally conservative (perhaps a combination of all), but whatever it is it's impacting what has made them so loved for in the first place.

Their games are great, but they are no longer amazing. Today's Nintendo largely feels like they're in it mostly for the business instead of out of the passion for the medium.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#57 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

The lazy third party developers

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

There's lots of things they could have done better with the Wii U, but the lack of a Metroid game and an extremely late Zelda (again) is very dissapointing. When they have no problem releasing Mario Party 23 and an Animal Crossing: Mario Party Edition (way worse and way more boring than Mario Party, how that is possible still surprises me) but not even a hint of Metroid info, something is wrong. I'd be cool if they gave us "we are not going to make a Metroid for Wii U" but we didn't get that. They made us hope for a Metroid for 4 years, only to get something announced for 3DS that isn't a Metroid game, but called Metroid. Fuckers.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

This is a great post, and sadly, true. It's worrisome that what's the disappointment here doesn't have much to do with the U at all, but with Nintendo and their ambition. This is why I fear for the NX, because a new system is not going to solve such a problem. I can't say if it's laziness, if they're scared, creatively bankrupt, or just too fiscally conservative (perhaps a combination of all), but whatever it is it's impacting what has made them so loved for in the first place.

Their games are great, but they are no longer amazing. Today's Nintendo largely feels like they're in it mostly for the business instead of out of the passion for the medium.

Just play Fire Emblem Fates, then youll be reminded of Nintendos greatness.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#60 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Nintendo's attitude about the tablet and price, that shortened its lifespan. It is a capable console.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

That Nintendo themselves released zero great games on the console. Good games, but were it not for Bayonetta 2, that game wouldn't have a single game I'd argue is great. Also the lack of new or original titles was severely disappointing from Nintendo as well. Effectively they published two: The Wonderful 101 and Splatoon, both I like, but there should have been more between the WiiU and 3DS, and there just wasn't.

These days I'm not sure I'd want another Metroid, I rather have some fucking new things, I want to see Retro Studios take their hand at something new.

I'm starting to humor the idea that the Wii was a better console.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By iandizion713

@jg4xchamp: Ive enjoyed many games a lot more then Bayonetta 2. Doneky Kong: Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, and Xenoblade Chronicles X being just a few. Also dont forget about Boxboy, seems everyone wants to forget Nintendo makes eShop games too.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nothing. It's my favorite console of the three.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I think that the only thing that I'm particularly disappointed in when it comes to Wii U is that Nintendo didn't have a clear idea on what to do with the gamepad in the first place. It took them years to start making things that make use of it in a good way. By then it was far too late. They would have been better off designing a upgraded wiimote and nunchuck along with the Pro controller.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

@jg4xchamp: Ive enjoyed many games a lot more then Bayonetta 2. Doneky Kong: Tropical Freeze, Splatoon, and Xenoblade Chronicles X being just a few. Also dont forget about Boxboy, seems everyone wants to forget Nintendo makes eShop games too.

Good for you, I obviously disagree. But sure, I didn't play box boy.

@ConanTheStoner said:

What if Mario Maker was that game? And that game just came down to we didn't want to create shit broseph.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44098 Posts

That there's no $149.99 Wii U Zelda U Bunduru yet. :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@MirkoS77: I wouldn't really say they're creatively bankrupt when they just released one of their biggest new IP's on a dying console and was actually sucessful despite everything going against it.

(Talking about splatoon ofcourse)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

I think that the only thing that I'm particularly disappointed in when it comes to Wii U is that Nintendo didn't have a clear idea on what to do with the gamepad in the first place. It took them years to start making things that make use of it in a good way. By then it was far too late. They would have been better off designing a upgraded wiimote and nunchuck along with the Pro controller.

I think the gamepad was more a "let's be different somehow", rather then "let's put a screen on our controller, cause then we can do all these amazing ideas we have for it". Since they obviously didn't have any amazing ideas for it. I'm not sure what people were expecting either. Oooh, I can have a map on my controller. Revolutionary. This will save me 0.2 seconds everytime I have to look at the map.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By iandizion713

@Litchie: What about off-screen play, gryo and dual screen coop. Not all the games have to use the Gamepad in the same way.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Litchie said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I think the gamepad was more a "let's be different somehow", rather then "let's put a screen on our controller, cause then we can do all these amazing ideas we have for it". Since they obviously didn't have any amazing ideas for it. I'm not sure what people were expecting either. Oooh, I can have a map on my controller. Revolutionary. This will save me 0.2 seconds everytime I have to look at the map.

Plus the technology that went into it. Its streaming to the gamepad at near zero latency. Its actually quite impressive. But still, they packed it to the gills with lots of different technologies, but very few of them really applied to gaming at large.

I would have been quite content if they made the SNES version of the wiimote.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#71 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Doesn't get enough multiplats as I'd like but I knew what I was getting into when I got it.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

The gamepad is a bit too big. Also, some games use touchscreen and buttons which doesn't work when the bezel is so big. It works with Vita since your thumbs can reach the screen on a Vita. Also Vita is capacitive. Nintendo uses resistive tech which is pretty much only good with the stylus, not your thumbs. Ninty should probably have made the WiiU capacitive but then again this might have made the gamepad even heavier than it already is.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

They favour 3DS over it....hence won't be getting their next handheld. :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'll preface this by saying it's my favourite console by far this gen, but the account system is pretty bad.

Also I'm not a fan if the analogue placement. Microsoft has it right. Symetric analogues don't make sense to me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: I wouldn't really say they're creatively bankrupt when they just released one of their biggest new IP's on a dying console and was actually sucessful despite everything going against it.

(Talking about splatoon ofcourse)

If one game (especially so rarely) is proof enough to you of that, then so be it. I don't consider Splatoon on its own to prove anywhere near it.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

i don't play it much as i bought it for the kids but i'm disgusted by the controllers pathetic battery life. not that they need to be playing more than an hr at a time, i just hate plugging it in after every use.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#77 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

My WiiU never made it to the point where it could play a game. First game I tried to play required an update to even run, and that update broke my WiiU. Nintendo expects me to pay $100 to fix my brand new, never used WiiU, for a fuckup that is 100% their fault.