X-Play releases GOTY nominees and GULP!?!?!

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword are nowhere to be found... when reached for comment, Nathan Drake said, he'd be battling Link in a game of tummy sticks for 8th place....

EDIT: just to add another log on the fire... Dark Souls apparently couldnt be reached either as its rep said it was back in 1986 learning about game design... ps, X-Play gave Dark Souls a 5/5

I know the hateboy response will be "xplay hahaha" but I respect seslar and he said it wasn't an easy choice, but they stand by it.

I kid mostly, but your nominees are...

Gears 3

Portal 2 (My personal pick)

Skyrim

Mario 3ds

LA Noire (my personal WTF?!)

Batman AC

Saints Row the Third

Enjoy...

Link http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/681583/x-play-game-of-the-year-nominations/

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#2 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

That's a horrible list of GOTY contenters. At least one of the two games Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword should be on there.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#3 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Skyrim is my personal one .

And My WTF's are Gears 3 and Super Mario 3D Land.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
X-Play. Haaaaaah.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Looks like a good list, although I haven't played a few of them. LA Noire...didn't like it personally.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Slashless

That's a horrible list of GOTY contenters. At least one of the two games Uncharted 3 and Skyward Sword should be on there.

Demonjoe93
Uncharted 3 no, but yeah Skyward Sword shoulda been up their.
abonsabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 abonsabo
Member since 2011 • 475 Posts

Uncharted 3? Why would that be nominated?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Props for putting Saints Row: The Third on there

needs more Shogun 2 and Witcher 2 though

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Mario 3D Land?

Winning darkhorse confirmed? :P

MadameKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MadameKitten
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

A decent list overall. Though L.A Noire? Meh didn't find it to be that good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
So boring... I'd like to see a site go with things like El Shaddai, LittleBigPlanet 2 and other, more obscure, less obvious titles from this year. Everyone will be going forge highly-hyped stuff... why not try and stand out?
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Wow list is fail. NoLittle Big Planet 2,Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, or Deus Ex, and Dark Souls yet Gears 3 and L.A. Noire are on there.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So boring... I'd like to see a site go with things like El Shaddai, LittleBigPlanet 2 and other, more obscure, less obvious titles from this year. Everyone will be going forge highly-hyped stuff... why not try and stand out?

Because having a different opinion is akin to blasphemy and video game critics should only stick to the metacritic.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Lol X-Play :lol:
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So boring... I'd like to see a site go with things like El Shaddai, LittleBigPlanet 2 and other, more obscure, less obvious titles from this year. Everyone will be going forge highly-hyped stuff... why not try and stand out?

Because having a different opinion is akin to blasphemy and video game critics should only stick to the metacritic.

Play it safe: The verdict. Which is usually the case everywhere, dull and predictable. Have to say GS's verdict of Demon's Souls was admirable.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So boring... I'd like to see a site go with things like El Shaddai, LittleBigPlanet 2 and other, more obscure, less obvious titles from this year. Everyone will be going forge highly-hyped stuff... why not try and stand out?

yeah and nobody cares about LA Noire and it has no chance of winning so why bother?? Same for SR3, which is a great game but I can't see any site giving them GOTY other than Yahtzee maybe. I had loads of fun with the game but the production values don't approach the heavy hitters of the year
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So boring... I'd like to see a site go with things like El Shaddai, LittleBigPlanet 2 and other, more obscure, less obvious titles from this year. Everyone will be going forge highly-hyped stuff... why not try and stand out? skrat_01

Play it safe: The verdict. Which is usually the case everywhere, dull and predictable. Have to say GS's verdict of Demon's Souls was admirable.

that was one of the best picks ever. There was even an obvious brainless pick out there in UC2 - lol IGN walked right into that one

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

I guess you can look at the small victories: Call of Duty nowhere to be found on the list...it's a start.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
There are so many things wrong with their nominations and categories, it's rediculous.To start Skyward sword and U3 are missing in GOTY followed by SS not being in the Action/adventure category while SM3DL is when it is actualy a platform, and the only reason it is nominated for GOTY is because they wanted to put one Nintendo game in and Morgan Webb wouldn't let it be SS.I mean I'm not an Uncharted fan but it deserves to be nominated for GOTY.And one category is best remake that should NEVER be a category EVER.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#21 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Hey, as long as Portal 2 is on there they have a chance of getting it right.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Odd list. LA Noire has been on of my favorite games this year but there are too many nagging flaws for it to be GOTY material. Also, Saints Row 3...really?
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.[/QU Demons soul is goty on this very site
DavidCage00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DavidCage00
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts

LOL Xplay. Those numbnuts gave Fable 2 GOTY over GTA4 :lol:

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator
Hey, as long as Portal 2 is on there they have a chance of getting it right.Cherokee_Jack
Agreed
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator

LOL Xplay. Those numbnuts gave Fable 2 GOTY over GTA4 :lol:

DavidCage00
One reason i still respect them...
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Besides L.A. Noire, don't see anything wrong with that list.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts

What would one gain from trying to stand out. Why not just nominate your favourite games.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Saint's Hoe Triple? Double You Tee Eff! :|

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Mario 3ds LA Noire NO...just NO NO NO NO NO NO . I'm ready to say that LA Noire isn't a game it's a "choose your own adventure" book. When it's impossible to LOSE it's not a game.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Slashless
Dat L.A Noire hate :0 Game was awesome : }
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Terrible list. Respect Sessler?

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts

They gave UC3 a 4/5. Why would you expect them to throw that on the list? *Looking at list* This is what opinions are for. Although I give LA Noire a low 8, my best friend thinks it's the best game this year.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.TheEroica
Demons soul is goty on this very site

yes, and its the one major site that did. it was largely ignored after release everywhere else. im all for opinions, but its not like these media sources arent loving the games (at least outwardly). they are giving them exceptional reviews and then acting like they dont exist later in the year. i mean god forbid that they nominate something that doesnt have a rockstar or activision logo on the cover.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheEroica  Moderator

santoron

Yup... why wouldnt i? Hes a pretty honest guy and i respect his opinion. Can you tell me why you dont?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cherokee_Jack

honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.LoG-Sacrament

If anything they're just afraid to give GOTY to something mainstream gamers don't know or care about, because that's who the bulk of their readership is.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.Cherokee_Jack

If anything they're just afraid to give GOTY to something mainstream gamers don't know or care about, because that's who the bulk of their readership is.

maybe, but its not like only a handful of people played demon's souls (or dark souls, for that matter). besides, if they just spoon feed readers everything they want to hear, theyll get bored.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Not surprised by L.A. Noire's inclusion. Sessler loved that game. Personally I kind of hated it, to repetitive in it's mission design for me to feel any enjoyment. It's just peoples opinion people, nothing to get fussed over.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Nice to see SM3DL there. Batman is still my personal pick.

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
Mario Land 3DS! It truly is a masterpiece of a Mario Game! Kudos.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Wow, Portal 2 and LA Noire? These games, if you can call them that, don't deserve to be on this list.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="santoron"]

TheEroica

Yup... why wouldnt i? Hes a pretty honest guy and i respect his opinion. Can you tell me why you dont?

probably not.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

TheEroica

He's a talking head who spends far more time trying to make funny skits than playing the games you respect his opinion on. You could also poll Bozo the Clown for his GOTY and get similar results...

Also, any list without a mention of TW2 should be tossed in a fire. I'm not saying it's a shoe in to win... but ignoring it shows their opinion has been bought, not formed.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
L.A. Noire though great doesn't deserve to be a GOTY nominee and so does SM3DL.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jhcho2  Online
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

A guy who missed out Witcher 2 and Shogun 2. Oh yeah, consolite. Typical.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
saints the 3rd? what?
VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
saints the 3rd? what?eboyishere
That game is brilliant.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]honestly, thats not half as bad as i thought it would be (although i think gears is a pretty poor choice). but of course its become the trend to give a souls game a raving review and then completely forget about come awards time. its like review outlets are just giving it a good review to appease hardcore gamers or whatever but really have no interest in it.LoG-Sacrament

maybe, but its not like only a handful of people played demon's souls (or dark souls, for that matter). besides, if they just spoon feed readers everything they want to hear, theyll get bored.

I think a lot more people will read the GOTY on an average site than the review for Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, and some of them will be people who don't normally read the site. That just gives you an even more mainstream audience to consider, so when you snub one of the big selling games the mainstream loves like Skyrim or Batman in favor of some RPG they've never heard of, you're just encouraging them not to come again. The gamers who like Souls games, however many there may be, would ultimately be a small percentage of the people paying attention to GOTY.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

X-Play used to be awesome on TechTV, but they are nothing but a joke. Why in the hell wouldn't you have Skyrim and SS?

I lost creditablity for them a long time ago.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
No Unchated 3... oh well, don't expect people to whine, not as bad as I figure the Deus Ex HR GOTY fans anyways.