Pandadropkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Pandadropkicks
Member since 2017 • 389 Posts

While at first.. when Xbox GamePass first released.. many people doubted the value of it... after all.. there would most likely only be indies or other small titles released on the platform. However... since release.. GamePass has added countless AAA games.. including Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Metro Exodus, and the soon to release Outer Worlds.. I don’t think anyone can argue the value that Game Pass brings.. especially to the consumer... after all.. if I were to buy all the games mentioned above.. I would be spending $240.. or I can just get Game Pass for $15 per month and play for as long as I want and then cancel whenever I’m done playing those games... but what do you think SW? Is Xbox GamePass the best gaming value of this gen?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Just like with EA Origin Premier, Game Pass is an amazing deal. I can play hundreds of games for pennies on the dollar, and buy the one's I like at a discount if I wanted to. And with the fact that I can download and play the games offline, it's just a win-win for me. Glad I was able to play Blair Witch on it cause I would've been piss if I had to pay full price and turn out the game wasn't my gameplay style.

Using both Game Pass & EA Origin Premier makes my gaming experience much easier on PC in my opinion.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I've had it for about 4 months now and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth several times over.

Next game I play on it will be The Outer Worlds.

Just finished Unavowed and Void Bastards.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Yeah Game Pass is definitely a terrific value and is no doubt a great option to have in how people can play games. For me personally though I greatly prefer getting my games on a physical format and adding them to my ever growing collection so getting the game that way is always going to be first and foremost for me. I also just prefer paying once for a game and being able to play it whenever I choose to but with something like Game Pass the games will leave the service after awhile to make way for new games coming in.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I don't like the idea of companies when and how long I could play my games so no thanks.

I get it...most normal gamer's want a netflix style type service for games. This is my hobby, and I want the best way to play....and that's either DD I own or a disc

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I tried it for the month. Played Forza Horizon 4 which saved me $79.99.

But the rest of the games sucked lol

I already played halo and gears to death. The rest were like crappy Indie games, 360 last gen games or crappy 3rd party games that sold poorly.

Felt no desire to resub.

But I can see how this could be a good deal if I had kids or something assuming the kids actually used it. I don’t know.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yes it is. I can't deny it.

The only problem is games leaving the service and not being able to play older games in the future.

However the current counterargument would be: You can then buy those games at a very low price point.

With that in mind, I do think for the sake of preservation and peace of mind, it would be of the essence that we maintain ways to purchase games outside the use of these services.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Gamepass is going to be a game changer.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Saving me lots of money too. I rarely buy anything compares to what I use to.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Yeah, it's been really good on PC. I'll be playing Outer Worlds soon and I don't have to bother with EGS.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#11 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Only people that want to hate or absolute idiots don't see that studios will make games, they are talented and will make well received games and that will increase Gamepass' value.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@cainetao11 said:

Only people that want to hate or absolute idiots don't see that studios will make games, they are talented and will make well received games and that will increase Gamepass' value.

"But everything MS touches will die. Scalebound anyone?"

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

It's not bad, but the library is limited and you don't own the games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

As Ive gotten older owning games has meant less and less to me.

I used to have physical movies and games collections that were large size. But I realized I don't watch the movies or play the games often enough to for me to justify them taking up space and needing to be dusted in my apartment. In that case its pointless. Not to mention none of us own the games from PSN+ or GWG either but people cite the monthly games as a reason of value for subscribing to them.

Tyler says it best: "the things you own end up owning you"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

Game ownership is meaningless. You pay a premium just for the sake of saying "I can play this anytime I want" but rarely if ever do. This is why services like Gamepass and streaming is going to change the way people play games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: aren't lems the ones who keep talking about wanting to play their old games? And if not everyone has time to play so many games, then paying MS a $100 a year can be a waste too. Not saying it's a bad service. It's just for certain people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: aren't lems the ones who keep talking about wanting to play their old games? And if not everyone has time to play so many games, then paying MS a $100 a year can be a waste too. Not saying it's a bad service. It's just for certain people.

I am not sure where your logic is going. Nothing I mentioned has anything to do with playing old games. Old games should be available for purchase/rental/subbing because of the digital medium we are in. If you are not going to play more than one game throughout the year then it would be more cost effective to purchase rather than sub. All these things are options that will appeal to a variety of gamers. But, it doesn't change the fact that owning a game doesn't hold much value to the average gamer.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: so, if I buy a game for $10 and can play it anytime I want is somehow inferior to paying $100 to MS every year to keep playing it?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Agreed, it is pretty awesome.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts

I agree it is a great value. I like it allot.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I agree. When I rebuy a Xbox One that's the first thing I'm gonna get with it.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 643 Posts
@Pedro said:

Gamepass is going to be a game changer.

Yes I think so also, as getting so many brand new first party games day one, plus AAA multiplats, along with a good selection of indie titles for such a low price, is absolutely a game changer and if you still really want to for select titles getting a discount to purchase them, it all seems great to me.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I was able to play Gears 5 in its entirety for $2. The value is insane and they deserve full credit for it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Totally agree. It's amazing value. And it's only going to get better as more of Xbox's new studios release more games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Would be better if Microsoft's first party wasn't abysmal.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This service is a waste to me as the time I spent working would mean I would end up wasting money. I also like to reward devs buy purchasing their games when they come out and are great.

I'm also not a cheapskate, nor do I binge game which I find to be the thing most people do with this service, they're trying so hard to play as many games before they are removed and don't put in the time to fully experience the games.

I'm also a gamer who likes to play like 1 perhaps 2 games at any one time, so again a waste for me.

I like to own my games and play them at my leisure not rush to play just anything because its there.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

15 bucks?! That's expensive as hell. I've paid 1 dollar a month now for 6 months. Game Pass on PC FTW. But even without the sale, it's still only 5 bucks per month. How come you pay 15? Is that the price of getting all extra content for the games, or something?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Well value wise it’s pretty great on pc. However the launcher for pc is still extremely buggy and very demanding to run, not to mention it’s lacking a lot of quality of life things... but of course the price still reflects it’s in beta, so can really argue about getting to play gears 5 ( terrible game though) for 5 bucks a month. Also really looking forward to outer world

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Ultimate Pass is best thing for anyone with kids. You know how many games they can play endlessly with the Game Pass on the Xbox. Compared to the dozen games I've bought from $20-$40, that they played 1 time and never touched again.

The cheapest I ever paid for yearly subscriptions is basically what a Year of Ultimate is on monthly price, which is insane. The $15 a month comes with Gold, you keep the 360 games even if you cancel, and the 360 games are generally $30+ in value, meaning if you actually played them, everything else is literally free.

Why it saves money:

-You gonna get service for the 2 big bangers every year, this year was Gears and Crackdown, next is Ori and Halo.

-Forza, Minecraft, MCC, and other multiplayer games you don't have to buy, these are bread and butter, and make sure you break even, even if you hate the 2 bangers like Gears and Crackdown.

-Where you really make bank is all the other games, especially day and date games which would run $20-60 (unlike PS Now where a lot of good stuff is cheap shit you can get on your PS3/PS2).

-Even if you hate the XGS games, hate the multiplayer games, and hate the day and date stuff, and hate indies. You're still getting big games like Shadow of Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Just Cause 4, and Outer World, and can just pay for the 1 month to beat them, and wait til next game you want, but all the games you want on discount, boom.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

@djoffer: lets hope the pc launcher gets a lot better when it's out of beta.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

It's a great deal but it wont stay like this forever. Honestly I don't think it will be profitable for them at this price. But right now they want to stomp out google before they have a chance with Stadia.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#33  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

This service is a waste to me as the time I spent working would mean I would end up wasting money. I also like to reward devs buy purchasing their games when they come out and are great.

I'm also not a cheapskate, nor do I binge game which I find to be the thing most people do with this service, they're trying so hard to play as many games before they are removed and don't put in the time to fully experience the games.

I'm also a gamer who likes to play like 1 perhaps 2 games at any one time, so again a waste for me.

I like to own my games and play them at my leisure not rush to play just anything because its there.

See people keep comparing the service to Netflix and I don't really think it translates that well.

Movies and TV shows can be watched and consumed in 3 hours or less at a time. A lot of games have well over 10 hours of play time.

What the service does is devalue games, sometimes unlimited choice is over whelming and you spend more time trying to find something to play rather than actually playing. OR you play a game for a few hours then move on to something else. I do this with PS plus games.

Right now Im playing Breakpoint and Astral Chain and can barely find enough time to play both of those. Now Outer Worlds came out and I want to play that, but if I start playing that I'll probably drop the other 2 games.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@Litchie said:

15 bucks?! That's expensive as hell. I've paid 1 dollar a month now for 6 months. Game Pass on PC FTW. But even without the sale, it's still only 5 bucks per month. How come you pay 15? Is that the price of getting all extra content for the games, or something?

That is the price for people who want it on PC and Xbox. It also comes with Xbox Gold services so it is a pretty good deal for people who play on both platforms.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Gamepass is a great value and a great service for me. Ultimate made the deal even better because I pay 15 a month and get the xbox/pc side and my Gold service is also covered.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

The way I’m looking at next gens Xbox and their new and current studio’s AAA games is,if they release on gamepass /ultimate at current price(£14.99) for 3 months(cd keys)

If I pay let’s say £500 for scarlet and it has halo/ forza 8/ and 2 other aaa titles in the first year that’s about £120 saved straight away,imo if your someone who buys Xbox exclusives then money saved on gamepass will pay off Scarlett within its generation

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: so, if I buy a game for $10 and can play it anytime I want is somehow inferior to paying $100 to MS every year to keep playing it?

Who said anything of a sort? Did you miss this

"If you are not going to play more than one game throughout the year then it would be more cost effective to purchase rather than sub."

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

For 1$? Of course it is

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xHedon
Member since 2018 • 293 Posts

@mowgly1: promo is $1. When it expires people are being charged $10 a month right now. Still a crazy deal.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I really like Game Pass and feel its a good value. Like some have stated previously, I could care less about owning the game and having a physical copy. Once I am done with a game.....I typically won't go back to it. So the model works for me personally.

I got a screaming deal on Gamepass. I used to work for Microsoft (at the original Xbox Division building in fact) but left the company last year. I got a free sub from Phil Spencer himself when they started to really push Game Pass. My free sub and gold was about to run out right when they were launching Ultimate. They had a deal at the time, if you upgraded to ultimate for $14 it would carry over for the remainder of your gold, then would charge you $14 a month after your sub ran out. So I re-upped my gold and then upgraded to Ultimate for $14. So I was able to get a year of gold and GP Ultimate for $70....not bad! :)

I feel it has already paid for itself with the games I have already played or beaten using it on my XOX or PC.

EDIT: looks like they have the same deal going on now but even cheaper. Upgrade for $1 and it will go to the end of your gold sub for up to 36 months.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0/0007?rtc=1&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

You do own the games that you decide to buy.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@davillain- said:

Just like with EA Origin Premier, Game Pass is an amazing deal. I can play hundreds of games for pennies on the dollar, and buy the one's I like at a discount if I wanted to. And with the fact that I can download and play the games offline, it's just a win-win for me. Glad I was able to play Blair Witch on it cause I would've been piss if I had to pay full price and turn out the game wasn't my gameplay style.

Using both Game Pass & EA Origin Premier makes my gaming experience much easier on PC in my opinion.

Yeah, I was quite glad that I saved money on Blair Witch. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and Game pass allowed me to check it out along with Gears 5 and a plethora of other games for 2 dollars. Paying an extra 5 bucks to extend for 2 months just so I can finish up The Outer Worlds. Definitely has been worth it for the 3 months.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Humble Bundle is better overall imo.

Too bad they never opened an actual software driven storefront, would be a great competitor to the likes of Steam, GOG and that terrible store that Publishers devs off.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

It could use more games on PC like they have Wolfenstein 2 but not Wolfenstein 1 so if I haven't played the first I wouldn't be able to play the second without ruining plot for me. I'm just mad that 4K TV broke and I can't go back to playing it on my old monitor after that gorgeous experience but it's gonna take me a couple of weeks to save up for a QLED TV so even though I got a couple of weeks before my second month expires it is still a lot of wasted time that could be used using gamepass. I've moved onto playing Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night on my laptop and will finish Exodus once I get a new screen.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts
@xhedon said:

@mowgly1: promo is $1. When it expires people are being charged $10 a month right now. Still a crazy deal.

I know it's promo. But it last for almost 5 months now, since E3 2019

Guntster22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Guntster22
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

Great value indeed. Since getting the X1X and games pass I have all but abandoned the PS4.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

As Ive gotten older owning games has meant less and less to me.

I used to have physical movies and games collections that were large size. But I realized I don't watch the movies or play the games often enough to for me to justify them taking up space and needing to be dusted in my apartment. In that case its pointless. Not to mention none of us own the games from PSN+ or GWG either but people cite the monthly games as a reason of value for subscribing to them.

Tyler says it best: "the things you own end up owning you"

I'm the same way. In fact, I'd like to think I save a lot of money with subscriptions, and as for owning it, if the game is that important it is still available to buy. Otherwise I don't need to own it. Renting it indefinitely for literally a couple dollars (if I play multiple games per month) is far more appealing than dropping 60 on a game I might replay three times.

@uninspiredcup said:

Humble Bundle is better overall imo.

Too bad they never opened an actual software driven storefront, would be a great competitor to the likes of Steam, GOG and that terrible store that Publishers devs off.

I like Humble Bundle too but only because the games are a bit more "out there"; you get exposed to a lot of games you otherwise might not normally buy.

It's good for getting outside of your comfort zone.

@Star67 said:
@i_p_daily said:

See people keep comparing the service to Netflix and I don't really think it translates that well.

Movies and TV shows can be watched and consumed in 3 hours or less at a time. A lot of games have well over 10 hours of play time.

What the service does is devalue games, sometimes unlimited choice is over whelming and you spend more time trying to find something to play rather than actually playing. OR you play a game for a few hours then move on to something else. I do this with PS plus games.

Right now Im playing Breakpoint and Astral Chain and can barely find enough time to play both of those. Now Outer Worlds came out and I want to play that, but if I start playing that I'll probably drop the other 2 games.

THose are fair points, which is why this service is not for everyone. If you're the kind of guy that buys the bi-annual shooter and plays that for six months with your friends, then this service is not for you.

But if you play more than one game per month, this service is a great deal.

As for devaluing games, yes and no; what services like this is allow you to "trial" games before committing to them. Generally speaking, if you don't enjoy a game after a few hours, you're not going to enjoy it for the remaining 20 or 30. Services like this allow you to abandon games you don't enjoy when you would otherwise feel obligated to finish them had you paid full price.

I am experiencing this with Uplay+ and Breakpoint; I am probably enjoying the game far more than someone that paid 60-110 dollars for it because I can be casual with it, I don't feel obligated to finish it. Meanwhile, I have access to Silent Hunter, Prince of Persia, and the Settlers.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I just finished The Outer Worlds, and with the help of the game pass, I was able to play through the entire game for just 2 dollars. Now that's value!

I'm letting my subscription lapse now, because the games that I wanted to play I do have. Tried Gears 5, meh. Going to try Dirt Rally 2, but I'm not huge on racing games, so I assume I'll only put an hour or 2 in.

I also don't really feel like playing through The Outer Worlds again, as the ending was about as good as I could have gotten. I still do have time to go through it again, but meh. It was good, but not "omg, gotta play it again right away!" good. I'll probably buy it when DLC comes out for it down the line and it's dirt cheap.

But yeah, the premise of my post is the game pass was definitely worth it, especially at that price. Even if I paid the full price for a month, it would have been worth it to beat The Outer Worlds.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Yup!

And there's nothing stopping you from letting it lapse, waiting a few months for more new games to show up, then re-subbing again.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

I've been pretty happy with it and I've had it pretty much all year. I started off going right to Ashen, State of Decay 2, Halo 5, Ori, the whole Gears series, Forza Horizon 4. That first month it probably was the value for the year at least. I think there are months that I don't like anything new but the last month or so have been amazing with Dead Cells, Bloodstained, Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds and I've been playing Monster Hunter World tons as well. I've been happy with some odd ones that I wouldn't have tried too like Agents of Mayhem, Crackdown 3, Vampry.

Devil May Cry 5 is great too but I bought that day one.

This service has really made my experience with my Xbox into my go to console.