Xbox 360 vs. PS3 (A gamer's take on which is the better system)

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 ixbadboy001
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts

I bought the Xbox 360 when it was first launched in 2005. This will be my 3rd 360 and my last.

Now, the Xbox 360 is an awesome piece of hardware, with many top quality games, Gears of War 2, and Halo 3 to name a few. And its Xbox Live and achievement features are second to none. But, like many other gamers, as well as owners of this system, there has always been that nagging question in the back of my mind - "Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.

As you are already aware, the 360 is equipped and limited to a DVD drive that up scales movies as well as games to HD quality. The PS3 on the other hand comes with a Blu Ray player that also up scales regular movies to HD quality. However, when it comes to games, the PS3 has the upper hand in the graphics department. Simply put, since the games for the PS3 are all blu ray discs, which can in fact store a lot more data than regular DVDs, they are currently being displayed on the PS3 in full 720p/1080p HD which made Brutal Legend on my 360 look like a flat, washed out cartoon.

Now when I played Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders,the PS3 versions won hands down since the graphics from these games were noticeably more textured and realistic. Also, playing the PS3 games gave me more of a sense of "being in the game" since its graphics are so much more intense and did I say realistic? For example, in Dante Inferno, water looks like actual water on the PS3, while the same water appeared to be depleted of some effects on the Xbox 360.

But why is this you ask? Well after some research I found the reason. The majority of developers with EA leading the way, have chosen the PS3 has their system of choice for game creation. So they will use the PS3 to design the games and port them down to the Xbox 360. The only time this does not happen is when the games are done exclusively for either the 360 or PS3.

So I found my answer, and now so have you. I have already begun replacing my entire Xbox 360 library with PS3 titles as I make the PS3 my primary gaming machine. And the 360? Well, I will keep it for its exclusive titles, and achievements. But, for me the PS3 is the way to go for games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

So you decide which system is better based on graphics? That does not sound like a gamer's take.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

"Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.ixbadboy001

This is where I stopped reading. A gamer wouldn't do that. They'd buy it for their prefered system and just enjoy the game for it's gameplay, not sit and obsess over small resolution and texture differences.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

sounds more like a fanboy rant than a gamers take but thanks anyway

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ixbadboy001
That's right. For me if the graphics in a game are not up to par on a particular system, then that system is not worth my money. The system that has the best best graphics in the majority of its games is always the winner in my book.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
I have now seen the light and threw my 360 out the window.
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

That's right. For me if the graphics in a game are not up to par on a particular system, then that system is not worth my money. The system that has the best best graphics in the majority of its games is always the winner in my book.ixbadboy001

hmmm I played Bayonetta and AC2 and they looked better on the 360 so the 360 is better

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ixbadboy001

What do you mean a gamer would not do that. Just because you would not do what I did, does not mean that accounts for all gamers. I wanted to know the truth, and so I boughtboth systems as well as the games for these systemsto get to that truth.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

That's right. For me if the graphics in a game are not up to par on a particular system, then that system is not worth my money. The system that has the best best graphics in the majority of its games is always the winner in my book.ixbadboy001

You are not a gamer then, you only play graphics.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

I have now seen the light and threw my 360 out the window.SilentlyMad
I saw it hit the ground and ran over picked it up, plugged it in and damn, it still works fine so thanks for the extra 360 and just wow.... they must be built like tanks to take that kind of abuse. :twisted:

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts

[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]I have now seen the light and threw my 360 out the window.SecretPolice

I saw it hit the ground and ran over picked it up, plugged it in and damn, it still works fine so thanks for the extra 360 and just wow.... they must be built like tanks to take that kind of abuse. :twisted:

Nice one that gave me a good :lol:

edit- on topic, I find it funny how the TC put from a gamer's view like it will be so much wiser then the rest of us as if we are all non-gamers on this game forum.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Now when I played Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders,the PS3 versions won hands down since the graphics from these games were noticeably more textured and realistic. Also, playing the PS3 games gave me more of a sense of "being in the game" since its graphics are so much more intense and did I say realistic? For example, in Dante Inferno, water looks like actual water on the PS3, while the same water appeared to be depleted of some effects on the Xbox 360.

ixbadboy001

Digital Foundary and LoT didn't mention any of these "differences".

tbone802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tbone802
Member since 2006 • 1195 Posts
You misspelled "graphics whore" in the thread title.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"]That's right. For me if the graphics in a game are not up to par on a particular system, then that system is not worth my money. The system that has the best best graphics in the majority of its games is always the winner in my book.sensfanVone

You are not a gamer then, you only play graphics.

yeah i would recommend a gaming PC then

3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

This thread just sounds stupid. I thought you were really go to give us some in depth analysis about games, graphics, blu-ray, hardware reliability, and online capablity but instead talk about 3 POS games that have better graphics on the PS3. Who really cares about these games. Sounds like you just wasted some money buying these games for both systems. LOL. Failed post. This is definitely blog material if that. I don't even own a 360 but this is wouldn't be the post to make me buy a PS3 if I didn't already own one or move my gaming there if I had both.

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ixbadboy001

And why would they? If they did, you woudn't buy their games.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
Well you should ditch both and them and just go pc game. You can just sit there and play crisis all day every day and talk about how pretty it is? and you know most multiplats look better on the 360 right? I mean... you use a game like brutal legends to compare... seriously? Oh and I highly doubt you went out and spent all that money for **** n giggles just to compare graphics, and if you did, you can afford to go get a pc as earlier stated.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

360 has more games that I want to play from devs that I love (Bio-Ware) and it usually gets the better version of the multiplats that I want to play (Bayonetta, Fallout 3).

Having come from the 360 to PS3, there are things in the interface and operation of the PS3 that are poorly done in comparison to the 360. Streaming MP4s to my PS3 is always choppy but using the same media server and files on my 360 is smoother playback that starts quicker. It may be because of the games that I have on PS3 (MGS4, Heavy Rain and Marvel vs Capcom 2), but I've never had an experience of just popping in the disc and playing. There is always an install to go through. MvC2 was the worse: 199mb download (same as 360, so no complaints), followed by an install, followed by the game telling me there was an update that I had to get... which was 200 mb. Only 1mb difference but it made me redownload the whole thing rather than just patch it. Most of the demos that I play require an install as well, which is annoying compared to the 360. Trophies and stuff like that don't update automatically, which doesn't make any sense imo. On the 360 as soon as you get an achievement or pop in a game, it's updated on their system. I don't know why Sony thinks having to manually do it is the better option. Even when you do update, it doesn't always work. It took over a week for the Sony servers to admit that I was playing HR and reflect it on their site. You can't play music while playing games. There are a lot of small things that seem ass backwards with the PS3 when coming from the 360. Having a web browser is a cool feature, but I've got a laptop with HDMI out so it's not really useful, especially when most of the sites I want (Hulu, Crunchyroll, Google Reader) don't work properly on the PS3.

If I didn't know about poor quality multiplats, didn't like Bio-Ware, and they were the same price when I purchased my 360, I would have gone with the PS3 for free online and free blu-ray player.

I love my PS3 and it's a solid system, but I don't think it'll ever replace my 360 as the most played for games.

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ixbadboy001

You can't handle the truth 3rdbass? I beg to differ though, this thread is very successful. It makes me see just how muchfanboys arein system wars...

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 88mphSlayer

You can't handle the truth 3rdbass? I beg to differ though, this thread is very successful. It makes me see just how muchfanboys arein system wars...

ixbadboy001

uh... no seriously, if you want gaming to be about graphics, get a gaming pc, you won't regret it

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fastr

ixbadboy001
Did the super cow really just call someone else a fan boy?
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ixbadboy001
88mphSlayer, I already have a gaming PC (DELL XPS) with Crysis and all its expansions. Getting ready for Crysis 2 on the PS3...can't wait...
3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

ixbadboy001

This thread might be about stirring up crap but really doesn't efffectively talk to the strengths of the PS3 which are hardware reliability, more mature games, and free online as well as better graphics for exclusives. Who really cares about the 3 games the TC mentioned.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fastr
88mphSlayer, I already have a gaming PC (DELL XPS) with Crysis and all its expansions. Getting ready for Crysis 2 on the PS3...can't wait...ixbadboy001
right.. thats why your getting it on the ps3 instead of hte pc.. ok.. fed the troll enough, go back to your alt account or cave or whatever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f
deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f
Member since 2004 • 530 Posts
Yeah deciding on graphics is pretty dumb. Currently I only own a Wii for monetary and time reasons but I WILL buy one of these HD consoles one day, maybe when I have an HD tv of my own. Regardless. I'm still undecided as to what to get. Xbox has the better controller hands down and I'm prepared to pay for Live which will always be better than PSN. On the other hand, the PS3 Slim is an amazing design, far better than some hotter than hell, ugly, bulky xbox., it's also cheaper these days and includes Blu Ray... Is there any 3rd party PS3 controller that just IS an xbox controller? (Their game libraries are equal to me as it's almost only multiplats I'm interested in)
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
So PC is your favourite? :roll:
Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts
Meh. So much emphasis on graphics. . . Get a PC.
DEATH775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 DEATH775
Member since 2005 • 4216 Posts
Well I got both system. I love both of them the same. So I will continue to support both system.
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ixbadboy001
fastr, I know it sounds unbelievable, but money makes a lot of things that would seem like fiction for you a reality for me. I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

I think the 360 has a slight edge on graphics, with the PS3 looking better on some games too. Perhaps you just got lucky on those 3 picks?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Both systems are great.

It really comes down to what exclusives you want to play

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 88mphSlayer

fastr, I know it sounds unbelievable, but money makes a lot of things that would seem like fiction for you a reality for me. I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...ixbadboy001

no

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

fastr, I know it sounds unbelievable, but money makes a lot of things that would seem like fiction for you a reality for me. I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...ixbadboy001
LMAO what is full HD? *lets you dig your own hole*

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"]fastr, I know it sounds unbelievable, but money makes a lot of things that would seem like fiction for you a reality for me. I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...88mphSlayer

OMG I laughed so hard at this pic :lol:

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"]fastr, I know it sounds unbelievable, but money makes a lot of things that would seem like fiction for you a reality for me. I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...blue_hazy_basic

OMG I laughed so hard at this pic :lol:

:lol: Seconded !!!

On topic, 360 > PS3

Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...ixbadboy001

You're kidding, right?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

The same "PS3 graphics are far more impressive" talk :?

PS3 is incredible overhyped graphics wise. Its just as powerfull as a 360 with the advantage of having a bluray player. Also you use 2 of the few multiplats that are a bit better on PS3 to support your claims. Dont you know that there are dozens of better multiplats that look better on 360 like AC2 and Bayonetta?

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

Fakeboy confirmation complete....

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

The same "PS3 graphics are far more impressive" talk :?

PS3 is incredible overhyped graphics wise. Its just as powerfull as a 360 with the advantage of having a bluray player. Also you use 2 of the few multiplats that are a bit better on PS3 to support your claims. Dont you know that there are dozens of better multiplats that look better on 360 like AC2 and Bayonetta?

PAL360
Well with games like Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and a better looking title of one of the biggest releases this year I don't blame him.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"] I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...Racer_XLR

You're kidding, right?

He's not kidding. Read his first post. He thinks the 360 has to "upscale" games to HD because it only has a DVD drive!!! He obviously has no idea what he's talking about.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"] "Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.AAllxxjjnn

This is where I stopped reading. A gamer wouldn't do that. They'd buy it for their prefered system and just enjoy the game for it's gameplay, not sit and obsess over small resolution and texture differences.

But but but! ... Okay I got nothing, that's spot-on. :P Also, as I'm sure others have said in this thread, blogs are your friend, TC. :)
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts
If graphics are that important to you, why not get a pc? :?
marcos27pr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 marcos27pr
Member since 2010 • 490 Posts

Anione that stars up by saying they have buy 3 xbox because of RROD its a lier 360 have a 6year warranty FREE

so ider

1) your PS3 fanboy trolling lies or

2) your a haker/Moder that got Ban 3 times

ider way i dint bother to read the rest after your first lie

kuvze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#45 kuvze
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"]

"Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.

I GUESS FANBOYS HAVE NOTHIN ELSE TO DO THESE DAYS...BUT LIE IN THE MOST DISGUSTING MAnner...this thread is puke..

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

Anione that stars up by saying they have buy 3 xbox because of RROD its a lier 360 have a 6year warranty FREE

so ider

1) your PS3 fanboy trolling lies or

2) your a haker/Moder that got Ban 3 times

ider way i dint bother to read the rest after your first lie

marcos27pr

I dont know where your from, but I dont know anywhere that offers a 6 year warranty.

Here in the UK, the warranty is 1 year. Microsoft extened the warranty to 3 years for the RROD and (I think this is what its called) E74 error, for all other errors or faults, its still 1 year.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. IMO as a PC gamer and PS3 owner.. The Xbox360 is the better system.. They have more superior multiplats, and are comparable to exclusives.. BUT the Xbox360 has a superior multiplayer system and coverage for around $3 a month (by buying 12 month gold card through Amazon), their UI is better, their market places is far better designed with a larger variety.. Sony can have the better console.. They are just too brain damaged to do so.. Instead of trying to make the service comparable to XBL they waste resources on the completely useless Playsation Home.. IN tryin got make the PSP more affordable and more handheld like they make the more expensive PSP GO that alienates the user base with the inability to play their old games.. IN trying to get their system to sell at the launch date they make the most creepy, ridiculous, and pointless commercials I have ever seen with the doll in the white room. I am still trying to figure out who seriously let these decisions past, you would think that Sony is TRYING to get take themselves out of the field.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="Racer_XLR"]

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"] I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...x-2tha-z

You're kidding, right?

He's not kidding. Read his first post. He thinks the 360 has to "upscale" games to HD because it only has a DVD drive!!! He obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

I always thought that there was something incomprehensible about his statement. By his logic, then Crysis on pc is not HD because it's on DVD. As a matter of fact, when was the last time the pc didn't display visuals at full HD? Even since Quake 1, monitor resolutions were 1280x1024, which is technically already HD, and the format at that time was CD-ROM. I think he's getting confused between movies and software.

So much fail...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f
deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5f24e9d9ab22f
Member since 2004 • 530 Posts
Aww nobody answered my question about a Third Party Controller for PS3 that is a Xbox controller...