Xbox 360 vs. PS3 (A gamer's take on which is the better system)

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Aww nobody answered my question about a Third Party Controller for PS3 that is a Xbox controller...RABicle

I actually think the 360 controler is inferior in every aspect.. I use to think shooters were better on the 360 controler, but I thought the PS3 controller was way better sett up for games like MW2. The DPAD on the 360 controler is also hopeless broken.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

You people are funny.... LOL ;) ixbadboy001
this is irony day or what?

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 ixbadboy001
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
Nope, I'm not kidding. The only medium that could accomplish full HD on the 360 was HDD which is now obsolete. Regular DVDs have to be up scaled via the 360's hardware in order for them to look HD. The graphics will look similar to the PS3, but this "look" is basically the same process that occurs to the original Xbox games when they are played on the 360. This process is non existant on the PS3 since it uses Blu ray discs which contain the latest HD technologies. Xbox 360 games do not and cannot contain anything HD since this type of data simply could not fit (unless compressed which would result in some compromises i.e. Dragon Age anyone?) onto a DVD. Look at the difference between regular DVD movies and movies on Blu ray. When they are in any DVD player that does not have the ability to upscale them, DVDs look like crap. Do some research peeps. I know what I'm talking about...
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#54 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

it really depends on how big your tv is.

The bigger, the more advanture you see on ps3. if you play games on a computer monitor, then 360 is not a bad choice, but ps3 owns living room.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts

play games, not graphics

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
For anyone who missed it, why he would get Crysis on the PS3 instead of the PC ....
I would rather get Crysis for the PS3 simply because it will be on blu ray disc and in full HD...ixbadboy001
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ixbadboy001

And your point?

dezzyfiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dezzyfiesta
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

Graphics don't make games. Good gameplay does. If a game is fun to play then I will enjoy it more than if it had the best graphics ever. If you like graphics then fine but don't make out that it's what makes a good system.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
you base ur system based on graphics? and you're saying because your 360 failed (not everyones has) its automatically worse? in terms of hardware, yes the ps3 is better but you're not considering software at all. you're opinion fails.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#60 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

a gamers take wouldve ended at where you mentioned awesome games on the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
What's your gamertag TC?
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
You claim you decided which system is good based on being a gamer yet your whole blog is comparing graphics :? BTW, if you knew anything about technology, you would know it doesn't matter if the game's on a blu-ray or DVD since if the developer didn't match it specifically to the SPE's in the PS3, it's most likely gonna look the same or slightly worse due to the port
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
Nope, I'm not kidding. The only medium that could accomplish full HD on the 360 was HDD which is now obsolete. Regular DVDs have to be up scaled via the 360's hardware in order for them to look HD. The graphics will look similar to the PS3, but this "look" is basically the same process that occurs to the original Xbox games when they are played on the 360. This process is non existant on the PS3 since it uses Blu ray discs which contain the latest HD technologies. Xbox 360 games do not and cannot contain anything HD since this type of data simply could not fit (unless compressed which would result in some compromises i.e. Dragon Age anyone?) onto a DVD. Look at the difference between regular DVD movies and movies on Blu ray. When they are in any DVD player that does not have the ability to upscale them, DVDs look like crap. Do some research peeps. I know what I'm talking about...ixbadboy001
You're wrong. HD media can be placed on any kind of storage device. USB stick, SD card, DVD, CD-R, whatever. HD just requires more space. Blu-ray discs have more space than regular DVD's, so they're ideal for HD content, but you can still put HD content onto a DVD. I know you're going to ask "well if that's the case, why didn't they just make 50GB DVD's and not bother with Blu-ray?". The reason is the lasers in DVD players can't read the disc. That's why Blu-ray is called Blu-ray. It has a new type of laser that's able to read the data. Xbox 360 games have a native resolution of 720p. The 360 does upscale graphics, from 720p to 1080p. Not 480p like you're claiming. Some 360 games even have a native resolution of 1080p. Virtua Tennis is one that I can think of. Original Xbox games are upscaled on 360, from 480p to 720p or higher. If what you're saying was true, original Xbox games would look the same as 360 games. 360 games look better because the graphics, coded on the DVD, are native 720p.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#64 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

I bought the Xbox 360 when it was first launched in 2005. This will be my 3rd 360 and my last.

Now, the Xbox 360 is an awesome piece of hardware, with many top quality games, Gears of War 2, and Halo 3 to name a few. And its Xbox Live and achievement features are second to none. But, like many other gamers, as well as owners of this system, there has always been that nagging question in the back of my mind - "Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.

As you are already aware, the 360 is equipped and limited to a DVD drive that up scales movies as well as games to HD quality. The PS3 on the other hand comes with a Blu Ray player that also up scales regular movies to HD quality. However, when it comes to games, the PS3 has the upper hand in the graphics department. Simply put, since the games for the PS3 are all blu ray discs, which can in fact store a lot more data than regular DVDs, they are currently being displayed on the PS3 in full 720p/1080p HD which made Brutal Legend on my 360 look like a flat, washed out cartoon.

Now when I played Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders,the PS3 versions won hands down since the graphics from these games were noticeably more textured and realistic. Also, playing the PS3 games gave me more of a sense of "being in the game" since its graphics are so much more intense and did I say realistic? For example, in Dante Inferno, water looks like actual water on the PS3, while the same water appeared to be depleted of some effects on the Xbox 360.

But why is this you ask? Well after some research I found the reason. The majority of developers with EA leading the way, have chosen the PS3 has their system of choice for game creation. So they will use the PS3 to design the games and port them down to the Xbox 360. The only time this does not happen is when the games are done exclusively for either the 360 or PS3.

So I found my answer, and now so have you. I have already begun replacing my entire Xbox 360 library with PS3 titles as I make the PS3 my primary gaming machine. And the 360? Well, I will keep it for its exclusive titles, and achievements. But, for me the PS3 is the way to go for games.

ixbadboy001
I thought that the PS3 fanboys ranted that the reason multi plat games looked better on the 360 because they were ported over to the PS3, while the 360 was the starting platform. Now I guess this doesn't apply. I simply don't see any differences in the graphics of multiplatform games, and if so, they are minor, and not a major factor. I will buy me a PS3 here shortly, but mainly due to the exclusives that are now rolling out, and not because a texture looks slightly better.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Good Lord. Kenny, is that you?
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ixbadboy001
How am i wrong x-2tha-z when you just confirmed everything I wrote in your response? My point being "upscaled" which is not required on the PS3.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

As you are already aware, the 360 is equipped and limited to a DVD drive that up scales movies as well as games to HD quality. The PS3 on the other hand comes with a Blu Ray player that also up scales regular movies to HD quality. However, when it comes to games, the PS3 has the upper hand in the graphics department. Simply put, since the games for the PS3 are all blu ray discs, which can in fact store a lot more data than regular DVDs, they are currently being displayed on the PS3 in full 720p/1080p HD which made Brutal Legend on my 360 look like a flat, washed out cartoon.

ixbadboy001

This thread was overall bad, but this is just awful. The storage media is not what enhances the games graphics. The do allow things like larger file sizes for textures etc, however it's the GPU, CPU and memory which are able to render that on screen at anywhere near playable frames. As such, the storage capacity is only useful if you have the hardware to take advantage of higher rez textures etc.

Both systems display their vast majority of games in 720p.

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ixbadboy001
Believe you me Funconsole, I know quite a bit about technology. And your post also confirms that the Xbox 360 is no match graphically to the PS3. I rest my case. LOL ;)
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 x-2tha-z
How am i wrong x-2tha-z when you just confirmed everything I wrote in your response? My point being "upscaled" which is not required on the PS3.ixbadboy001
You said 360 games are SD because HD can't be put on a DVD. You said the games were upscaled to HD resolutions. That is not what I said. I did not confirm anything you said. You were wrong.
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ixbadboy001
You said upscaled. So yes you did confirm something I said. And yes, I was right...
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I know quite a bit about technology.ixbadboy001
Yes, and PCs can't do HD. I take back my Kenny question. This is more of an Aku thread. Time to get out of here as fast as I can before it melts my mind.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

TC needs to start using the quote button. Geez.

Anyway, PC is what you're looking for TC.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 x-2tha-z
You said upscaled. So yes you did confirm something I said. And yes, I was right...ixbadboy001
I said it upscales the games from 720p to 1080p. 720p is a HD resolution. You said it wasn't possible to put HD graphics on a DVD, so I wasn't agreeing with you. I was pointing out how wrong you are. And you trying to save face in this way, it's just stupid. Just admit you were wrong, you don't know what you're talking about, and move on. In fact, this is one place where the 360 is better than PS3. The PS3 doesn't upscale games. Mainly because of the processing power required to add AA to the upscaled graphics. The 360's custom made GPU can effectively add AA to the graphics with no impact on the system. It's basically free. The 360 has a better GPU than the PS3. The PS3 was designed to have most of the graphics rendering done on the Cell. That's why no-one liked to develop for it when it was first released. The PS3's GPU was an "off the shelf" addition, added at the last minute. Now, I love my PS3. And games like Uncharted 1 + 2 look better than anything you'll find on 360. But loads of multi-platform games look better on 360. Some games look better on 360, some look better on PS3. I'm not saying you're wrong about the games looking better on PS3, I'm saying you're wrong about how the 360 renders HD graphics and how the DVD is used to store those graphics. Oh, BTW ixbadboy, what's your 360 gamertag and PSN ID? Can you prove that you've played these games on both consoles?
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

That's right. For me if the graphics in a game are not up to par on a particular system, then that system is not worth my money. The system that has the best best graphics in the majority of its games is always the winner in my book.ixbadboy001
PC then? :P

BlindfireMcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BlindfireMcgee
Member since 2010 • 323 Posts

[/thread]

gammon56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 gammon56
Member since 2009 • 779 Posts
You misspelled "graphics whore" in the thread title.tbone802
freaking awsome and true made my day
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 x-2tha-z

[/thread]

BlindfireMcgee
One week to go!!! I can't wait. I've got the Ultimate Trilogy Edition pre-ordered.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#78 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

[QUOTE="ixbadboy001"]

lundy86_4

This thread was overall bad, but this is just awful. The storage media is not what enhances the games graphics. The do allow things like larger file sizes for textures etc, however it's the GPU, CPU and memory which are able to render that on screen at anywhere near playable frames. As such, the storage capacity is only useful if you have the hardware to take advantage of higher rez textures etc.

Both systems display their vast majority of games in 720p.

EXACTLY!!!
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Gamer? You mean fanboy?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
If all you care is about is graphics, then you shouldn't be gaming on consoles.
Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Ninja-Bear
Member since 2010 • 1028 Posts
You seem to be saying that multiplat games look inherently better on the PS3; something which 90% of reviews for an awful lot of multiplat games this gen go against.
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

I bought the Xbox 360 when it was first launched in 2005. This will be my 3rd 360 and my last.

Now, the Xbox 360 is an awesome piece of hardware, with many top quality games, Gears of War 2, and Halo 3 to name a few. And its Xbox Live and achievement features are second to none. But, like many other gamers, as well as owners of this system, there has always been that nagging question in the back of my mind - "Which system has better graphics,the Xbox 360 or the PS3? And so to find the answer, I went out and bought a PS3 and the games Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders for both systems.

Now when I played Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders,the PS3 versions won hands down since the graphics from these games were noticeably more textured and realistic. Also, playing the PS3 games gave me more of a sense of "being in the game" since its graphics are so much more intense and did I say realistic? For example, in Dante Inferno, water looks like actual water on the PS3, while the same water appeared to be depleted of some effects on the Xbox 360.

But why is this you ask? Well after some research I found the reason. The majority of developers with EA leading the way, have chosen the PS3 has their system of choice for game creation. So they will use the PS3 to design the games and port them down to the Xbox 360. The only time this does not happen is when the games are done exclusively for either the 360 or PS3.

So I found my answer, and now so have you. I have already begun replacing my entire Xbox 360 library with PS3 titles as I make the PS3 my primary gaming machine. And the 360? Well, I will keep it for its exclusive titles, and achievements. But, for me the PS3 is the way to go for games.

ixbadboy001

Oh, there's no way you could be trolling, especially since the thread title claims that you're a gamer.

I actually prefer the PS3, but at least I don't select certain games to start a flame war. Darksiders and Dante's Inferno were known to be better, if not the exact same on the PS3. Just like IronBass said, you're not a gamer.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts
I have now seen the light and threw my 360 out the window.SilentlyMad
For once I like your post :P
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#85 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's really good that the TC is not biased or anything. Seriously is this all PS3 fanboys have to do. Aren't there some games to play. Final Fantasy? Heavy Rain? Why are you here starting the same topic that has been started 100 other times? Yeah we get it....your a fanboy...you can't stand the competition so you make up stories about the other consoles. Wow like I had 27 Xbox 360s all get the RRoD within a month. So of course I bow to the alter of Sony because the PS3s never breaks. We get it.

BTW just for your information actually most developers design and build the games on the 360 and then port them to the PS3. This is why almost all of the multi-platformers look better on the Xbox.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lundy86_4

It's really good that the TC is not biased or anything. Seriously is this all PS3 fanboys have to do. Aren't there some games to play. Final Fantasy? Heavy Rain? Why are you here starting the same topic that has been started 100 other times?

coasterguy65

Yes, because it's just PS3 fanboys who start these types of trolling topics, 360 fanboys would never do the same.

They all do it, so you just gotta learn to get on with it.

Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts

If you base your purchases based on graphics only why don't you just get a gaming PC? Crysis is on a DVD9 and looks better then any of the games on PS3 which are on Blu-ray. And if you did do research then you would know that blu-ray is just a disc format that has no affect on how a game looks, its just a form of storage.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Yes, because it's just PS3 fanboys who start these types of trolling topics, 360 fanboys would never do the same.

They all do it, so you just gotta learn to get on with it.

BlindfireMcgee

Oh joy, it's Lundy...:roll:

Look guy, seriously, I think you have a problem.

I have yet to see one post from you without the word "Cows" or "PS3 fanboys" collaborated together.

Take a break man, go catch some rays, you've been inside far too long.

Hmmmm? In that post I just stated that it's not PS3 fanboys who solely start these types of topics. Have a problem with my posting st*le? Get over it. I don't single out one fanboy group over another, so I think you have misunderstood and/or misread every ost I have made on this board.

Also, I never collaborated the word "Cows" and the words "PS3 fanboys" in that post. I oly stated PS3 fanboys.

Don't worry, I get plenty of sun my friend ;)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lundy86_4

Awwww, Blindfire... Where'd ya go?

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ixbadboy001

And you are wrong coasterguy65. The majority of developers now develop on the pS3. Do some research before you post...

ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ixbadboy001
x-2tha-z, the PS3 does not need to upscale its games. That has been my point from my very first post. Why is it so hard for you Xbox 360 fanboys to get this fact?...
iamdanthaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 iamdanthaman
Member since 2008 • 2498 Posts
Yes, we have established that if you are a graphics whore you should buy a PS3 and if you are an online whore you should get a 360, now can we get back to actually playing some games?
ixbadboy001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ixbadboy001
And with that "iamdanthaman" I rest my case...again. Let's go play some games...
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 x-2tha-z
x-2tha-z, the PS3 does not need to upscale its games. That has been my point from my very first post. Why is it so hard for you Xbox 360 fanboys to get this fact?...ixbadboy001
Most 360 and PS3 games are 720p. The 360 is able to upscale EVERY game to 1080p. The PS3 isn't. PS3 only displays games in 1080p if said game is 1080p native. There are also 1080p native games on 360. I think the 360 wins in this regard because it upscales every game to 1080p. With PS3, you're stuck with 720p. I don't know why you keep saying PS3 doesn't have to upscale. It's almost like you think every PS3 game is 1080p full HD. Is that what you think? If it is, you're wrong. And I'm no fanboy either. I probably own more games for more consoles than you do. You haven't even provided your 360 gamertag, even though you've been asked to post it on several occasions. IXBADBOY, WHAT'S YOUR 360 GAMERTAG? You probably only own a PS3. You're the fanboy, not me.
erglesmergle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 erglesmergle
Member since 2009 • 1769 Posts

lol you determined which system is beter by comparing multiplats. at least you made the right decision.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Darksiders and Dantes looked the same on both, so this thread is therefor fail already.