Would you like to see third person RE games continue?

• 66 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Would you like to see third person RE games continue? (63 votes)

Yes 70%
No 30%

Hello. Would you like to see third person action/horror games like Revelations continue? Chances are the Resident Evil 2 remake could be behind the camera.

No Caption Provided

• 
Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#51 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@the_master_race: This is a design choice I would say(turning around slowly in fps view), and in Outlast you have the "look behind you as you run mechanic". They can make it easier for you to look behind you if they wanted to in an fps, when I was playing RE7 I was disappointed you could not do that, because I got used to this mechanic from Silent Hill Downpour and Outlast.

It's always something that bothered me a little, not too much but because in real life it takes an instant to look behind you, and this instinct often doesn't translate well in horror games. It's OK I got used to it, I know they made that quick 180 degree turn around move in 3rd person games at some point, that helps, and I do my best to try to play the game as it was intended to. But that's just my nature, when I play a horror games with headphones, I often want to look behind me and I don't like things sneaking up behind me, so I'm constantly turning around lol

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Absolutely not, I havent liked any of them.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@the_master_race said:

Immersive , not entirely but in first person it does take a bit longer to turn back and see what is creeping behind me , all in all better jump-scares

P.T

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Alien: Isolation

Outlast

PT is a demo, and those games really doesn't counter-act my point. Because maybe one of them is actually up to snuff with the others as a game. Isolation is hot fire for the first half, but a slog to sit through for the 2nd (not to mention the Alien itself becomes a push over thanks to the flame thrower) half. Outlast is a colossal bore to play, and hardly scary if the only criteria is "i got scared". REmake on the flip side has an exceptionally designed mansion that is satisfying to navigate n rewarding to figure out paths from objective to objective, all the while keeping you on the edge of your seat with the restrictions it puts on you+the obstacles that are built around the restrictions put on said player.

Even in first person the scares are rarely, if ever this organic thing where you are just walking along, and boom you naturally turn around and something spooky is behind you. Even then the scares work no different then they do in third person. You go to a point, directly ahead of you, a scare is set up outside of your vision, and you do thing that triggers the scare.

Third person isn't some limitation on it, certainly not when some of the best games ever in the genre happen to be third person to begin with. Horror is as much about pacing, quality audio, basic presentation stuff, and mechanics that find the right balance between letting the player have meaningful interactions vs not empowering them too much that they start seeing the enemy as an after thought.

Which is my general point. You can make an excellent horror game either in first person or third person, neither is inherently better than the other. Like anything else it comes down to execution.

Yes , P.T is a demo but it inspired a lot of developers one good example is Team17 and their upcoming projects Allison Road ,what I said is mostly based on my personal experience and I'm not trying to say that those games I mentioned have better gameplay , between all Resident Evil games I played none of them scared me a bit but during my time with RE7 I jolted few times and I think it could've been far better if had a PSVR on

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

No. My imagination runs more wild when the game is first-person because I can actually pretend it's me in the game. Kinda hard to do in third-person because I can see the character.

It might be good to do what Bethesda did which is provide both perspectives and seamlessly switch between them.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I'd rather see more traditional style RE games like the REmake, as opposed to action games.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@aki2017 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@aki2017 said:

All old School Resi fans will say third person :) Provided we are talking horror third person and not those action games, lol

I don't really know the terminology but I separate 1/2/3 from 4 onward.

Although 3 basically was an action game, much less puzzle heavy, more emphasis on bang bang.

Quite like the Relevations series, although playing that little girl who points at things was abit shit.

I liked Revelations more than resident Evil 5-6, but not a lot, lol. More a step in the right direction but not there yet (for me).

Kinda feel the Revelations series would have benefited from more focus. Donno why they have a fixation of globe trotting all over the place. In the end it just detracts from the game. Stick to the boat, stick to Claire e.t.c...

It did feel like an uncommitted effort. Also personally not a fan of episodic releases in games. Would rather it comes as a complete product (referring to R2). I'm currently playing RE7, which I'm enjoying and knowing the Resident Evil 2 remake is in the works (and possibly using the RE engine) gives me hope.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@aki2017 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@aki2017 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Although 3 basically was an action game, much less puzzle heavy, more emphasis on bang bang.

Quite like the Relevations series, although playing that little girl who points at things was abit shit.

I liked Revelations more than resident Evil 5-6, but not a lot, lol. More a step in the right direction but not there yet (for me).

Kinda feel the Revelations series would have benefited from more focus. Donno why they have a fixation of globe trotting all over the place. In the end it just detracts from the game. Stick to the boat, stick to Claire e.t.c...

It did feel like an uncommitted effort. Also personally not a fan of episodic releases in games. Would rather it comes as a complete product (referring to R2). I'm currently playing RE7, which I'm enjoying and knowing the Resident Evil 2 remake is in the works (and possibly using the RE engine) gives me hope.

Yea, ignored Rev2 until it was done, to be fair there was quite abit of content there in the end. Think it was probably the longest RE game? Or maybe I was just really shit and dying alot, who knows.

Rev2 wasn't so much filler, just playing that little girl was so boring.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@aki2017 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@aki2017 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, ignored Rev2 until it was done, to be fair there was quite abit of content there in the end. Think it was probably the longest RE game? Or maybe I was just really shit and dying alot, who knows.

Rev2 wasn't so much filler, just playing that little girl was so boring.

& they made Claire Redfield ugly..what the hell is with the nose????...nose job went wrong? :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 uninspiredcup

Eh, wasn't too fussed about the face redesign.

Didn't much like the creature designs in Rev2, bit shitty. The designs in Rev1 with the lungworm heads and the way they shambled around, working against the steely aesthetic of the ship was great. The random bursts of speed in Inferno put you on edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Yes, I prefer 3rd person BUT I want them more like REmake or, at the very least like RE4. I dont want more action over horror like RE5 onwards. RE4 had more action, sure, but the survival horror aspects were still there

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#61  Edited By Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

@Vatusus: no it was not there with re4 also re4 has one of the worst plots then any other game peroid re4 is nothing but a joke to the series

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 uninspiredcup

@Commiesdie said:

@Vatusus: no it was not there with re4 also re4 has one of the worst plots then any other game peroid re4 is nothing but a joke to the series

All Resident Evil games are B-movies.

1-3 = "Of The Dead"

4 = "Evil Dead" i.e. ho, ho, dis weally funny

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#63 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

RE died with 4. 7 Was just a gimmick short easy game for the new casual generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#64  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Commiesdie said:

Yes, it was. You still played alone for the most part of the game, you still had to manage your resources carefully, the ammo was still scarce and who gives a sh*t about plot in RE? All RE plots are terrible. The difference is, RE knows its plot is a joke and plays along with.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#65 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

reboot the series with a much more clearer narrative that makes sense.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#66 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Yes. As long as its RE4-style over-the-shoulder camera, not the dated static cameras of RE1-3.