Will the graphics for consoles ever catch up to the PCs graphics?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

I'm just curious.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

The answer will be no. That's because a new one comes out that's better every few months. So PCs keep improving, and the consoles really can't keep up.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Oh huzzah more console vs PC threads.:roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
If in a new generation a console comes out with top of the line hardware it will lead graphics for a year, maybe two, then PCs will overcome it again and keep improving while the console hardware stays stagnate until the next generation.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Nope. Consoles have to stay on the cheap side of things, they can never have the latest hardware.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Nope. Consoles have to stay on the cheap side of things, they can never have the latest hardware.

wis3boi

The ps3 was the cheapest blu-ray on the market and at the time blu-ray was the latest thing out there in terms of movie quality and the ps3 help sony win the format war against HD-DVD'S, so whats this about consoles never getting the latest hardware? Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do, so again what about consoles not getting the latest hardware?

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

only around launch thats when the hardware is at some parity with top end pc. Xenos was the most advanced gpu when it released with a unified architecture and blazing fast 10mb of EdRAM, it also had a fast triple core cpu. the current consoles have held their own very well this gen, but now the gap is widening quit a bit. if history holds true and if new hardware is launched in 2012-2013 it should be on par.

rough specs 2013 PC. 4.5ghz 6-8 core cpu, graphics card 900-1000 cuda core 900mhz graphics clock, 2000mhz processor clock, 2gig GDDR6,DX11/12

obviously the above config would be an absolute beast, but the next consoles will come very close to this guessing 10-15% slower.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

wis3boi

yet MS manages to incorparate the most advanced gpu for it's time, a triple core cpu@3.2ghz, and 512mb ram for $399. we need to remember that they sell these things at a loss, but will that trend continue or will they go the rout of the wii.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do,

Fightingfan
They're no way a cell can out perform a i7 980x in anything.

i never said it could out perform anything, i just said ps3 actually came with alot of hardware that most pc's didn't have at the time, calm down no one is trying to make fun of your precious pc.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

only around launch thats when the hardware is at some parity with top end pc. Xenos was the most advanced gpu when it released with a unified architecture and blazing fast 10mb of EdRAM, it also had a fast triple core cpu. the current consoles have held their own very well this gen, but now the gap is widening quit a bit. if history holds true and if new hardware is launched in 2012-2013 it should be on par.

rough specs 2013 PC. 4.5ghz 6-8 core cpu, graphics card 900-1000 cuda core 900mhz graphics clock, 2000mhz processor clock, 2gig GDDR6,DX11/12

obviously the above config would be an absolute beast, but the next consoles will come very close to this guessing 10-15% slower.

GotNugz
The Xbox 360 was pretty powerful when it came out but many gaming computers already had it beat. A regular 1800XT was slightly more power because it wasn't gimped like the Xenos even though the Xenos had unified shaders it didn't help too much. Also the 7800gtx was a bit more powerful and some rigs already had SLI. The CPU was pretty powerful but still not the best at the time and could be beaten by the higher end dual cores at release. I am not sure how next consoles will hold up since the way we increase performance on GPUs is having different results. Power Requirements have gone up and dual slot coolers are more often needed. Back in 2005 a dual slot cooler would seem huge and now we have triple slot coolers. Also high end cards are hitting the 300watt point and overpassing it too. They also use around 38-40amps. I think consoles might adopt the CPU/GPU config which will be quite a bit weaker than high end hardware.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

As far as hardware no, everytime a console has been released it was outdated at least a month before hand. As far as actually using the hardware...well thats another story, normally it takes about a year after for pc games to actually keep up with a console games because devs dont push the pc as much because the majority of computers are still behind the consoles when they come out if they were sold at a loss.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Restricted hardware says otherwise.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Catch up to a 1000 bucks self-build PC? Nope. Out perform cheap pre-build PCs? Yes.magicalclick

Current consoles can't even out perform a $600 self-builts.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts
Well consoles can be MORE powerful than pcs at launch.Usually they incorporate the latest tech and they are closed systems so devs can harness all or most of its power which devs cant do for pcs, since all pc are differant. Unfortunently, by the time devs learn to harness all the power of the consoles, its already a few years post launch and the pc would have shot ahead again.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

As far as hardware no, everytime a console has been released it was outdated at least a month before hand. As far as actually using the hardware...well thats another story, normally it takes about a year after for pc games to actually keep up with a console games because devs dont push the pc as much because the majority of computers are still behind the consoles when they come out if they were sold at a loss.

edinsftw

That makes sense. Nobody wants to sell at a loss.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Well consoles can be MORE powerful than pcs at launch.Usually they incorporate the latest tech and they are closed systems so devs can harness all or most of its power which devs cant do for pcs, since all pc are differant. Unfortunently, by the time devs learn to harness all the power of the consoles, its already a few years post launch and the pc would have shot ahead again.pl4yer_f0und
Not with SLI/Crossfire existing.>.>

sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Chris_Williams

The ps3 was the cheapest blu-ray on the market and at the time blu-ray was the latest thing out there in terms of movie quality and the ps3 help sony win the format war against HD-DVD'S, so whats this about consoles never getting the latest hardware? Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do, so again what about consoles not getting the latest hardware?

Ofcourse teh cell is teh uberpowerful :roll:

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]Catch up to a 1000 bucks self-build PC? Nope. Out perform cheap pre-build PCs? Yes.Jankarcop

You! With the Ika Musume! sig!:o

It always makes me laugh.:lol:

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Chris_Williams

i lol when people call the PS3 a supercomputer
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
the answer is hell nah only if the day comes when consoles are finally customizable which has .000000000000000000000001% of chance of ever happening.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

sami117

Ofcourse teh cell is teh uberpowerful :roll:

hahahaha, i never said it was uber powerful, the guy said consoles can never have the latest hardware and the ps3 actually had the latest hardware, blu-ray and the cell processor and one of those things went on and won the media formats. chill out pc guys, we cool like i said no one is trying to hurt or bad mouth your precious pc's :)
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Sure it will it will just get left behind once again though.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I don't get why everyone is saying no. Surely we'll hit a point where we perfect how graphics should be represented. And thus, consoles can catch up and be even.

Or am I missing something?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

taterfrickintot

thats what it was being used as? ever heard of folding @ home? it was used by stanford to crunch numbers to help them with cancer research or something. like i said chillax pc gamers. Heck it was also used to replicate black hole vibrations, oh wait i'm talking to guys who think they know everything about everything.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

wow..how many threads can we get in SW about the exact same things?..lol..Console graphics are almost the same as PC graphics which says a lot for old tech and the game developers that can pull so much out of them.

I love taking part in multiple threads of the same subject..its kind of fun..:D

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
Next gen they should be able to produce superior graphics for a good chunk of time early on. A console sporting the equivalent of a 5770 - 5850 range should theoretically be able to produce some graphics that would cause a high end PC to probably struggle.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] The ps3 was the cheapest blu-ray on the market and at the time blu-ray was the latest thing out there in terms of movie quality and the ps3 help sony win the format war against HD-DVD'S, so whats this about consoles never getting the latest hardware? Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do, so again what about consoles not getting the latest hardware?

Chris_Williams

thats what it was being used as? ever heard of folding @ home? it was used by stanford to crunch numbers to help them with cancer research or something. like i said chillax pc gamers. Heck it was also used to replicate black hole vibrations, oh wait i'm talking to guys who think they know everything about everything.

And PC CPUs and graphics cards work on folding @ home just as well. That doesn't make every single processor a supercomputer, just part of one.
TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]Catch up to a 1000 bucks self-build PC? Nope. Out perform cheap pre-build PCs? Yes.Jankarcop

Arent current consoles half of that price?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chris_Williams
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="taterfrickintot"] i lol when people call the PS3 a supercomputerferret-gamer

And PC CPUs and graphics cards work on folding @ home just as well. That doesn't make every single processor a supercomputer, just part of one.

again, this guy responded saying consoles don't have the latest hardware, the ps3 had the cell processor which was pretty advance for its time 5-6 years ago. But yeah maybe that was a bad example. But the ps3 still had blu-ray and was the cheapest blu-ray on the market, so bam.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Chris_Williams

The CPUs used in the super computers are not the ones in the PS3. They are modified Cell Architecture CPUs that are much more powerful. Why do people always think that those military super computers are using exact copies of the Cell in the PS3..... They are so very wrong.
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

wow..how many threads can we get in SW about the exact same things?..lol..Console graphics are almost the same as PC graphics which says a lot for old tech and the game developers that can pull so much out of them.

I love taking part in multiple threads of the same subject..its kind of fun..:D

VanDammFan

lol how did you come to that conclusion? YouTube videos?

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

Actually. Go play a 360 launch title and compare it with PC titles in 2005. The 360 had the upperhand. Hell I even give it the uperhand until Crysis came out. (Gears owned that 2006-mid 2007 year).

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Vyse_Legends

You know that argument about how its never Hermits that start these? Well I think they are wrong by about a very large margin.

Also TC, you forgot the beginning of this generation. You know, the ones where consoles were actually MORE powerful then PC's for about a year (2 with the 360)? Or do you just want to block that from your memory because you said something that doesn't make sense?

Its going to happen again next gen too most likely, and when it does elitists will just mysteriously disappear until Crysis 4 comes out 3 years later and they can act like PC was always on top.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RyviusARC

Actually. Go play a 360 launch title and compare it with PC titles in 2005. The 360 had the upperhand. Hell I even give it the uperhand until Crysis came out. (Gears owned that 2006-mid 2007 year).

TailBlood
Gears on consoles was pretty ugly most people must have rose colored glasses on.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RyviusARC

The CPUs used in the super computers are not the ones in the PS3. They are modified Cell Architecture CPUs that are much more powerful. Why do people always think that those military super computers are using exact copies of the Cell in the PS3..... They are so very wrong.

Actually.... the military supercomputers use actual PS3's, not just the CPU from the PS3.... The difference is that it is thousands of them in parallel. A single Cell is rather unremarkable and doesn't necessarily beat most other processors(except in raw math calculations, which is only a fraction of a what a CPU needs to be doing these days). However, IBM did make it an exceptionally parallel processor and in that regard it is ideal for servers...

The top tier supercomputers do have the full featured Cell(PS3 has a gimped version), but the military went the cheaper route of just buying a lot of PS3s...

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="Vyse_Legends"]

SPYDER0416

You know that argument about how its never Hermits that start these? Well I think they are wrong by about a very large margin.

Also TC, you forgot the beginning of this generation. You know, the ones where consoles were actually MORE powerful then PC's for about a year (2 with the 360)? Or do you just want to block that from your memory because you said something that doesn't make sense?

Its going to happen again next gen too most likely, and when it does elitists will just mysteriously disappear until Crysis 4 comes out 3 years later and they can act like PC was always on top.

Consoles were never more powerful then computers. When the 360 came out their were plenty of more powerful computers even single GPU ones.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="Vyse_Legends"]

RyviusARC

Consoles were never more powerful then computers. When the 360 came out their were plenty of more powerful computers even single GPU ones.

That must be why PC's didn't have a single title that matched the graphics in Gears of War back then. Yup, makes perfect sense.

Sometimes I feel ashamed when I tell people I'm a PC gamer, just because I don't want them to assume I'll make statements like this all the time.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]Catch up to a 1000 bucks self-build PC? Nope. Out perform cheap pre-build PCs? Yes.TailBlood

still alot better than the $1000 estimate I quoted

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] The ps3 was the cheapest blu-ray on the market and at the time blu-ray was the latest thing out there in terms of movie quality and the ps3 help sony win the format war against HD-DVD'S, so whats this about consoles never getting the latest hardware? Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do, so again what about consoles not getting the latest hardware?

KingsMessenger

Actually.... the military supercomputers use actual PS3's, not just the CPU from the PS3.... The difference is that it is thousands of them in parallel. A single Cell is rather unremarkable and doesn't necessarily beat most other processors(except in raw math calculations, which is only a fraction of a what a CPU needs to be doing these days). However, IBM did make it an exceptionally parallel processor and in that regard it is ideal for servers...

But most super computers using cell architecture are not using the PS3 ones. Maybe the military are the exception but they are hardly up to performance compared to the other cell supercomputers. And with the military budget I hardly think they were short on cash.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SPYDER0416

Since consoles right now are around Medium and 30fps for most games, I'd say that at $200-$300, its one hel of a deal compared to a $600 PC that showcases the exact same power.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"] The CPUs used in the super computers are not the ones in the PS3. They are modified Cell Architecture CPUs that are much more powerful. Why do people always think that those military super computers are using exact copies of the Cell in the PS3..... They are so very wrong.RyviusARC

But most super computers using cell architecture are not using the PS3 ones. Maybe the military are the exception but they are hardly up to performance compared to the other cell supercomputers. And with the military budget I hardly think they were short on cash.

Yes. But you said military supercomputers weren't using the PS3, when in fact they are... My edit does note the higher end Cell processor and its inclusion in other supercomputers, but that doesn't make what you said originally any more correct.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KingsMessenger

again, this guy responded saying consoles don't have the latest hardware, the ps3 had the cell processor which was pretty advance for its time 5-6 years ago. But yeah maybe that was a bad example. But the ps3 still had blu-ray and was the cheapest blu-ray on the market, so bam.Chris_Williams

I would place the Cell behind the Core 2 line of processors as far as CPUs go. It has its own set of advantages and things that can be done with it(and developers have put that to good use), but the Core 2 processors still have the Cell beat purely as a CPU.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jankarcop

It's not fair either. You're comparing a 2005 console to 2011 PC market. In 2005, the PC hardware to match up with console would be around $1000 - 1200. But ofcourse in 2005 the consoles were a lot expensive than what they are today.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankarcop

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

harshv82

It's not fair either. You're comparing a 2005 console to 2011 PC market. In 2005, the PC hardware to match up with console would be around $1000 - 1200. But ofcourse in 2005 the consoles were a lot expensive than what they are today.

this thread said nothing about price. how is it not fair? you making up rules again?

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KingsMessenger

Chris_Williams

... I could make an Intel 4004 run Folding@Home if I wanted to. It would be slow, but it would run. Same thing could be said about making it "replicate black hole vibrations." You may think it is impressive, but the reality is that they are just running math functions and honestly, programmable GPUs would be far faster at it, they just are less effective as massively parallel devices because of the heat generated... A server full of GeForce 580s would literally melt to the ground. It would wipe the floor with a Cell-based server but it would be hot and it would still need a fleet of CPUs to manage the massively parallel threads across all of the GPUs.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]again, this guy responded saying consoles don't have the latest hardware, the ps3 had the cell processor which was pretty advance for its time 5-6 years ago. But yeah maybe that was a bad example. But the ps3 still had blu-ray and was the cheapest blu-ray on the market, so bam.KingsMessenger

I would place the Cell behind the Core 2 line of processors as far as CPUs go. It has its own set of advantages and things that can be done with it(and developers have put that to good use), but the Core 2 processors still have the Cell beat purely as a CPU.

well partner... i say.. YOUR WRONG. but honestly i don't know maybe your right maybe your wrong, i don't really care anymore about this topic. huzzah
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Are PC gamers really this insecure? These threads are getting boring really, really fast. No, consoles will never be stronger than PC or even catch up to them for obvious reasons that anyone could think off.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

KingsMessenger

... I could make an Intel 4004 run Folding@Home if I wanted to. It would be slow, but it would run. Same thing could be said about making it "replicate black hole vibrations." You may think it is impressive, but the reality is that they are just running math functions and honestly, programmable GPUs would be far faster at it, they just are less effective as massively parallel devices because of the heat generated... A server full of GeForce 580s would literally melt to the ground. It would wipe the floor with a Cell-based server but it would be hot and it would still need a fleet of CPUs to manage the massively parallel threads across all of the GPUs.

look, before every pc fanboy starts quoting me and trying to make their precious pc's look great, i never said pc's couldn't do it, the guy i was responding to said consoles would never have the latest hardware when the ps3 had a pretty advance "at that time" processing power that even most computers didn't have or had but it was faster with the ps3 5-6 years ago. Also, you don't know what your talking about, unless you actually utilize these functions and actually tried to replicate a black hole vibration to be able to justify and say "its just running math functions".