Will the graphics for consoles ever catch up to the PCs graphics?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

You know that argument about how its never Hermits that start these? Well I think they are wrong by about a very large margin.

Also TC, you forgot the beginning of this generation. You know, the ones where consoles were actually MORE powerful then PC's for about a year (2 with the 360)? Or do you just want to block that from your memory because you said something that doesn't make sense?

Its going to happen again next gen too most likely, and when it does elitists will just mysteriously disappear until Crysis 4 comes out 3 years later and they can act like PC was always on top.

SPYDER0416

Consoles were never more powerful then computers. When the 360 came out their were plenty of more powerful computers even single GPU ones.

That must be why PC's didn't have a single title that matched the graphics in Gears of War back then. Yup, makes perfect sense.

Sometimes I feel ashamed when I tell people I'm a PC gamer, just because I don't want them to assume I'll make statements like this all the time.

There were plenty of better looking titles but that is just based on opinion either way so none of us are right.
harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="harshv82"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

still alot better than the $1000 estimate I quoted

Jankarcop

It's not fair either. You're comparing a 2005 console to 2011 PC market. In 2005, the PC hardware to match up with console would be around $1000 - 1200. But ofcourse in 2005 the consoles were a lot expensive than what they are today.

this thread said nothing about price. how is it not fair? you making up rules again?

Did you even understand what I've written? Or just trying to take things out of context?

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]again, this guy responded saying consoles don't have the latest hardware, the ps3 had the cell processor which was pretty advance for its time 5-6 years ago. But yeah maybe that was a bad example. But the ps3 still had blu-ray and was the cheapest blu-ray on the market, so bam.Chris_Williams

I would place the Cell behind the Core 2 line of processors as far as CPUs go. It has its own set of advantages and things that can be done with it(and developers have put that to good use), but the Core 2 processors still have the Cell beat purely as a CPU.

well partner... i say.. YOUR WRONG. but honestly i don't know maybe your right maybe your wrong, i don't really care anymore about this topic. huzzah

I am right in some ways and wrong in others if you want to get technical. Personally, I find the Cell rather interesting, but honestly as a CPU, I find it tedious. It works in servers because it is far easier to manage massively parallel CPUs than it would be to manage massively parallel GPUs, but as a discrete processor I think it is kind of stupid. The "advantages" of the Cell aren't really advantages IMO because in most cases a programmable GPU(unified shaders, though nVidia took it a lot further later on down the line with Fermi) does all of those things better anyway. And as a CPU it is just doesn't match up. It is great for servers, but to put it in a console was kind of dumb honestly... If they had spent all that money on making a better GPU and stuck with a standard CPU, I think they would have been far better off.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

There'll be a jump once next generation consoles hit, but that period of parity won't last long.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

look, before every pc fanboy starts quoting me and trying to make their precious pc's look great, i never said pc's couldn't do it, the guy i was responding to said consoles would never have the latest hardware when the ps3 had a pretty advance "at that time" processing power that even most computers didn't have or had but it was faster with the ps3 5-6 years ago. Also, you don't know what your talking about, unless you actually utilize these functions and actually tried to replicate a black hole vibration to be able to justify and say "its just running math functions". Chris_Williams

It is just math. Incredibly complicated math, but math none-the-less. Everything a computer does is math, from displaying pixels to running Artificial Intelligence algorithms... That is all a computer is good for. That is all it EVER does. Every single sound that a computer generates and every image displayed is the result of math. Computer science is applied math in many ways... Any function that you can run on one computer CAN be run on another, in that respect it is rather binary(pun intended). It is just a matter of the speed.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#57 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

Are PC gamers really this insecure? These threads are getting boring really, really fast.Sgt_Crow

Sorry about that, I didn't notice that there were so many of these threads.

uso_outkast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#59 uso_outkast
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts

the only way would be if they made ps3 a pc in essence...by allowing you to upgrade components... i believe one day it will come..

as of now you can upgrade your memory by buying a harddrive for xbox360... or adding wireless with attachments...

maybe one day they willl allow users to upgrade the processor and videocards of ps3s....

until that day...consoles will never catch up...because they cant evolve... a ps3 will stay a ps3. A pc can evolve with upgrades...

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

They do not need to. Graphics are fine on the PS3 and 360. If someone can't look at Gears 3 or God of war 3 and be happy then that is their problem. It is getting to the point that graphics are all that matters. When games become to realistic the price will go up and the fun factor will probably go down. I want my games to look and play like games.

Being system wars I am sure most people are getting excited about graphics because the sex scenes and half naked women will give them a reason to go to bed at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Someone starts a thread about a discussion of PC graphics.

Everyone starts lambasting all PC gamers as insecure scumbags.

Someone starts a thread about a discussion of console graphics (Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War etc.)

Everyone starts saying BEST GRAFX EVAR, CRYSIS KILLAR, LOL PC PWNED.

Never change System Wars, never change.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#62 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm just curious.

GameboyTroy
No, because console manufacturers still have problems with heat dissipation. PC components generate more heat the more that is required, but Desktops have superb heat dissipation and can easily handle the workload.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

They do not need to. Graphics are fine on the PS3 and 360. If someone can't look at Gears 3 or God of war 3 and be happy then that is their problem. It is getting to the point that graphics are all that matters. When games become to realistic the price will go up and the fun factor will probably go down. I want my games to look and play like games.

Being system wars I am sure most people are getting excited about graphics because the sex scenes and half naked women will give them a reason to go to bed at 2:30 in the afternoon.

WarTornRuston
Price doesn't go up because of graphics. Most of the time games cost more because of licensing reasons. GTA IV spent millions upon millions on just licensing music alone. The Witcher 2 which is one of the best looking games costs a fraction of games like Killzone 2 and 3 or Uncharted 2 and 3. It seems that most devs don't know how to manage budgets and always plan for being a multi million sale hit. The reason that some companies like SEGA failed on consoles was because of management. Same goes for game developers.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Yes, wen next generation comes. Then after 4 - 5 months, they'll be vastly outdated like every single time trough out history.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#65 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Thankfully not. I don't want to have to upgrade my consoles on a a frequent basis.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Lolwut? Technology goes forward, consoles stay behind.

There's no way they can "catch up". It's impossible.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

no because without advancements in pc technology, consoles can't advance.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Nope. Consoles have to stay on the cheap side of things, they can never have the latest hardware.

Chris_Williams

The ps3 was the cheapest blu-ray on the market and at the time blu-ray was the latest thing out there in terms of movie quality and the ps3 help sony win the format war against HD-DVD'S, so whats this about consoles never getting the latest hardware? Also the ps3 is a great mini super computer that can crunch numbers really fast thanks to the cell processor, something even your pc couldn't do, so again what about consoles not getting the latest hardware?

Since when did Blu-Ray have anything to do with game performance? oh right it doesnt. The Cell CPU.... calcualations, ok great, now take into consideration that the PS3's version of the Cell processor wasnt even close to the highest model version of that style CPU and again your misinformed. My PC couldnt do that no.... but a damn duo core runs games better than it.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

When this gen of consoles came out, any SLI system PC at the time could out perform them. About a month later the new gen of GPU's came out which, again, outperformed the consoles.

So no. Consoles never caught up, and never will.

It's PC's push on GPU's and CPU's that DRIVE console technology, NOT the other way around.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#70 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Nope because consoles are always newely updated with tech like PCs are.