Will Dread be the best Metroid sidescroller ever?

• 135 results
Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Will Dread be the best Metroid sidescroller ever? (50 votes)

Yes, I like beautiful 60 fps, hd, sidescrollers with modern combat and Nintendo polish 40%
No, I have nostalgia beer goggles or am a hater 60%

These are widely considered some of the best side scrollers ever. People on this board are telling me Super Metroid is graphically superior. It just seems like butthurt to me.

Here are Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and Dread all in order

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

• 
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts
@wonderwinner said:

Another poll backfire. 😂

@wonderwinner said:

@casey-wegner: Damn, the backfire hit you hard. 😂

@wonderwinner said:

😂

This guy is desperate and hollow knight shits all over this.

Well, you're not a waste of space at all. Go play some games or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@Litchie: don't get upset over me. 😎

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Litchie
@wonderwinner said:

@Litchie: don't get upset over me. 😎

Ah yes. I'm also having a meltdown now, right?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Looks like it may be the best looking game on the SNES, so it has that going for it at least. lol :P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#105 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Litchie:

I dunno why but Nintendo struggles with sci-fi. Star Fox and F-Zero get similar treatment too. They know that there's a market for them, they just almost never bother with those ip's. It feels like we should be grateful for Metroid Dread as it is. I'll take my Metroid where I can get it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@MirkoS77:

The best thing I like about 2.5D Metroid is the use of in game cutscenes. They take advantage of the perspective and let you see more of the levels and events.

I loved watching Samus' swagger she way calmly took down this monster boss that could turn invisible. She just walked around it while charging her power beam and waited for the right to pounce. It was pretty badass.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

I prefer super metroid over this artstyle period.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#108 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

@casey-wegner: Remember, Nintendo games are not about the graphics, anyways. Its all about the portability.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17700 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Litchie:

I dunno why but Nintendo struggles with sci-fi. Star Fox and F-Zero get similar treatment too. They know that there's a market for them, they just almost never bother with those ip's. It feels like we should be grateful for Metroid Dread as it is. I'll take my Metroid where I can get it.

I don’t think it’s so much about the genre but suspect one of the predominant reasons is more so cultural.

All of those IPs came about in Nintendo’s early years. I noticed after Iwata came into power Nintendo seemed to become more and more Japanese focused, and IPs that held western appeal were somewhat marginalized. I don’t think this was a coincidence as Yamauchi was a businessman, and Iwata a gamer, and the products they deemed suitable reflected that.

‘Course this is purely conjecture on my part, but I think it has something to do with it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23033 Posts

@casey-wegner: Your poll.... Interesting. The game could totally have the best performance and polished gameplay and still be a shallow turd overall.

Likewise, it's very possible the game will not be a more complete and focused experience as it's classic masterpiece predecessor.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nepu7supastar7

@MirkoS77: You could be right. I never realized that there was a change in management. But that does explain the recent drought of those ip's. It sucks double for those who are big fans of them too. Metroid was 90% of the reason I wanted a Switch in the first place. So you can imagine how frustrated I was seeing so much Zelda and Mario and now we just BARELY got news of Metroid Dread. We still haven't seen footage of Prime 4! When will that be? 2022? 2024? Jesus....

Thank God for the Switch's 3rd party support. That's pretty much the only thing that's kept me sane. That and of course, Super Smash.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#113 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Maybe next time buy a Switch when the game you want to play is released. Crazy you bought one with nothing you wanted to play.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Litchie

@mesome713 said:

@nepu7supastar7: Maybe next time buy a Switch when the game you want to play is released. Crazy you bought one with nothing you wanted to play.

Not that crazy to think Nintendo would use their IPs. I thought so too and was dissapointed. At least I had Zelda. Will wait getting their next console until I kinda know their plans. I want new Marios, Zeldas, Mario Karts, Pikmins, Metroids and Donkey Kongs. That's enough for me to get their console. If they're gonna give me ports of old games again for full price instead and ignore their IPs, I'm out.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Mesome713

@Litchie: Good thing is you can sell all your stuff to near or more than when you bought everything.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 nepu7supastar7

@mesome713:

I definitely wouldn't say that there was nothing to play. Bioshock, Resident Evil, Doom, Persona 5 Strikers, Super Smash, Bayonetta, Neptunia.. there was plenty to catch up on. My backlog for the Switch is still massive.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@casey-wegner: Your poll.... Interesting. The game could totally have the best performance and polished gameplay and still be a shallow turd overall.

Likewise, it's very possible the game will not be a more complete and focused experience as it's classic masterpiece predecessor.

You really think Nintendo EAD is going to release a shallow turd? They're co-developing this. It will be a masterpiece which is why I don't even consider its failure a reasonable option. I've never seen them push a Metroid like this either, which is further evidence that they know they have gold here.

Also, everything here suggests a marked improvement from Samus Returns which was already a Gamespot AAA.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Casey-Wegner

So freakin dope

@techhog89 said:

Should be $6, not $60.

Why is there so much uproar here over this being $60 when NSMBU, which doesn't look 1/10th as good, was an old port, a 2.5 d sidescroller, sold for the same and never caught any flak?

TBH, I think fanboys get tense when Nintendo delivers an awesome looking core experience that they wish was on their platform.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

This has real potential to be something great. The sliding and the melee add a lot of fluidity to the movement. That gameplay looked like it had some momentum.... and this is early on in the game.

Add in the ball and other mobility skills that are all fully stackable along with steady arsenal upgrades.... and it wont do this select a build crap you see in a lot of these games. The bounty hunter will have all her tools to play with in one of the most classic suits in gaming.

Ori can go bore some other pixies in the forest, and Hollow Knight wishes his needle was as badass as the arm cannon. Samus gonna remind yall why a whole genre is named after Metroid.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@enzyme36 said:

This has real potential to be something great. The sliding and the melee add a lot of fluidity to the movement. That gameplay looked like it had some momentum.... and this is early on in the game.

Add in the ball and other mobility skills that are all fully stackable along with steady arsenal upgrades.... and it wont do this select a build crap you see in a lot of these games. The bounty hunter will have all her tools to play with in one of the most classic suits in gaming.

Ori can go bore some other pixies in the forest, and Hollow Knight wishes his needle was as badass as the arm cannon. Samus gonna remind yall why a whole genre is named after Metroid.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Loading Video...

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Casey-Wegner

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@casey-wegner: That video isn't helping your crusade much...looks lame, really lame.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@vfighter said:

@casey-wegner: That video isn't helping your crusade much...looks lame, really lame.

Reviews, and sales will completely disagree with your biased assessment.

Game looks dope af.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@casey-wegner: I'm not saying it won't be a fun game, just that the presentation looks like ass and you haven't shown anything to counter that. From the dull graphics to the 2 gens ago animation it just all looks really cheap.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8413 Posts

@casey-wegner said:
@enzyme36 said:

What was the last GREAT metroid game??

Seriously... If you dont know it was metroid fusion.. a game that came out in 2002.

ITS BEEN ALMOST 20 YEARS

metroidvania genre might have started with it, but the genre has left the series way behind in the past

others are doing it better. Hollow knight does it better. Ori does it better.

Metroid fanboys are funny with this game, because no matter how bad it looks they will hype it, because for the last 20 years Nintendo has shafted the series along with the Metroid fans.

This game wont hold a candle to hollow knight.

Did you guys play samus returns? i bought it the day it came out. it was trashhhhh lol

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@sargentd said:
@casey-wegner said:
@enzyme36 said:

What was the last GREAT metroid game??

Seriously... If you dont know it was metroid fusion.. a game that came out in 2002.

ITS BEEN ALMOST 20 YEARS

metroidvania genre might have started with it, but the genre has left the series way behind in the past

others are doing it better. Hollow knight does it better. Ori does it better.

Metroid fanboys are funny with this game, because no matter how bad it looks they will hype it, because for the last 20 years Nintendo has shafted the series along with the Metroid fans.

This game wont hold a candle to hollow knight.

Did you guys play samus returns? i bought it the day it came out. it was trashhhhh lol

Samus Returns was a certified Gamespot AAA and has the best combat in the sidescroller series. It's drawback is that it had to stick to be a remake of the linear Metroid 2.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

not a huge fan of sidescrollers, aside from castlevania which I enjoyed for the most part. But I think metroid dread will look great on the switch, and even better on the new OLED model.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Casey-Wegner

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

not a huge fan of sidescrollers, aside from castlevania which I enjoyed for the most part. But I think metroid dread will look great on the switch, and even better on the new OLED model.

That advert with the OLED and Dread has me pumped

Loading Video...

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#130 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts

Going to be hard to top super. The sprites also make super age well. I was playing Fusion the other day and it’s also one of my favorites.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I doubt it but I will be buying it day 1 to show Nintendo I want more Metroid games

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39895 Posts

The best Metroid in the last 10 years is one that came out a few months ago, its a Sony exclusive called Metroid: Returnal.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#134  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59401 Posts

Regardless of the quality, it will get the "omg it's Nintendo!", buffer from the typical subset of soy faced reviewers.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Mesome713

Gotta super anything Metroid. Let’s go!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23734 Posts

Man I love some Metroid, but dunking on other genre greats to prop up this game we haven't even played is pretty dumb.

Nevermind that Ori and HK are making Nintendo look like the indie dev here from a production standpoint. That's whatever. Should be hoping that Dread is half as expressive as Ori is mechanically, especially on the mobility front. Or half as inventive and intricate as HK is with its level design and secrets. Half as tight as HK is with its boss battles.

Would love nothing more than for this game to live up to its namesake and "show 'em how it's done", but this game has some shoes to fill. And with the crux of a great Metroid game being its interlinking level design, something you can't glean from a couple of short vids, think some of y'all are getting way ahead of yourselves.

-

"Yes, I like beautiful 60 fps..."

Super Metroid is 60 fps. 😐

Most video games pre gen 5 were 60 fps lol. Wish people would quite acting like this is some new thing, this used to be the gaming standard.

The irony here is that Dread will likely have dips.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts
@sealionact said:

@casey-wegner: I’d play Dread for a while if it were a budget priced game, but full price for a 2d side scroller? No thanks.

Nothing wrong with retro style games, but they should be priced along similar lines as Cuphead or Ori.

This x 1000. It'll be a $60 game and will remain $60 until the Switch is long gone.