Will Dread be the best Metroid sidescroller ever?

• 135 results
Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Will Dread be the best Metroid sidescroller ever? (50 votes)

Yes, I like beautiful 60 fps, hd, sidescrollers with modern combat and Nintendo polish 40%
No, I have nostalgia beer goggles or am a hater 60%

These are widely considered some of the best side scrollers ever. People on this board are telling me Super Metroid is graphically superior. It just seems like butthurt to me.

Here are Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and Dread all in order

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39253 Posts

7/10 on GS. Soundtrack will be the only thing people remember about this game a month after launch.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

7/10 on GS. Soundtrack will be the only thing people remember about this game a month after launch.

I like how you had to post blurry, compressed screens taken from the video feed to somehow strengthen your argument when I already posted a beautiful direct feed image straight from Nintendo right in the OP.

Pathetic.

😆

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Casey-Wegner

Hey guys here's Horizon Forbidden West (PS5) 😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner: Remember, Nintendo games are not about the graphics, anyways. Its all about the portability.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Nope. Nothing has come close to Super Metroid. I see no reason why a Metroid made by MercurySteam, known mostly for medicore 3D Castlevania games, would. The only reason I think it's gonna be good anyway is that Nintendo is co-developing it. But beat Super Metroid? lol..

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:

Nope. Nothing has come close to Super Metroid. I see no reason why a Metroid made by MercurySteam, known mostly for medicore 3D Castlevania games, would. The only reason I think it's gonna be good anyway is that Nintendo is co-developing it. But beat Super Metroid? lol..

In retrospect going back to play Super Metroid is pretty damn rough. Great for the time but otherwise archaic. It would probably score a 3 if it released today.

BTW Samus Returns was AAA at GS (9.0) and 85% at Metacritic and also made by Mercury Steam.

Everything about Dread is better and Nintendo is going to be even more involved in its production and development. Not to mention they can go all out with the level design now that it doesn't have to follow the metroid 2 remake template.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@casey-wegner: I’d play Dread for a while if it were a budget priced game, but full price for a 2d side scroller? No thanks.

Nothing wrong with retro style games, but they should be priced along similar lines as Cuphead or Ori.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@casey-wegner: I’d play Dread for a while if it were a budget priced game, but full price for a 2d side scroller? No thanks.

Nothing wrong with retro style games, but they should be priced along similar lines as Cuphead or Ori.

No such thing with Nintendo. You shut the hell up and put that $60 on the table. Three years from now, if you still didn't buy it, its still $60 with zero price drops. Honestly very exciting stuff, especially for a 2d side scroller.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:

In retrospect going back to play Super Metroid is pretty damn rough. Great for the time but otherwise archaic. It would probably score a 3 if it released today.

I disagree, it plays great even today. I think most people having problems with it just suck a bit.

Btw, does anyone else hate how Samus sits on her knee in Dread? Looks so weird. Tried to find a pic but failed. It's in the gameplay videos.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45275 Posts

Returnal is the better Metroid experience.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Casey-Wegner
@hardwenzen said:

@casey-wegner: Remember, Nintendo games are not about the graphics, anyways. Its all about the portability.

You make these claims saying Dread is going to score a 7 and then when I called you out on it for an account bet you made excuses and ran away. Clearly this is some D level trolling.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:

BTW Samus Returns was AAA at GS (9.0) and 85% at Metacritic and also made by Mercury Steam.

Yeah, but as with that game, same goes for Dread. Only reason I think it's gonna be good even though MercurySteam is the developer, is because Nintendo is co-developing it.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:

Yeah, but as with that game, same goes for Dread. Only reason I think it's gonna be good even though MercurySteam is the developer, is because Nintendo is co-developing it.

Obviously, Nintendo is largely responsible for all of their games being good.

Look what happened to Rare when they left Nintendo. Yikes.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Casey-Wegner

@SolidGame_basic said:

Returnal is the better Metroid experience.

Indie developed roguelike *puke

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

You make these claims saying Dread is going to score a 7 and then when I called you out on it for an account bet you made excuses and ran away. Clearly this is some D level trolling.

And if i accepted your childish bet, it wouldn't be trolling. Nice sheep brain lol.

A 7/10 is a 7/10. You can't run away from it. When it gets this on GS, i will remind it to you every time i see you poop on Sony😎

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

And if i accepted your childish bet, it wouldn't be trolling. Nice sheep brain lol.

A 7/10 is a 7/10. You can't run away from it. When it gets this on GS, i will remind it to you every time i see you poop on Sony😎

You're just going to get owned again... this time forevermore.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2253 Posts

Never played a Metroid game before and only mildly interested in dread! That being said, anyone claiming super Metroid is a better looking game needs to have their eyes examined…

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:

Obviously, Nintendo is largely responsible for all of their games being good.

Look what happened to Rare when they left Nintendo. Yikes.

They were still good until MS didn't let them be good anymore. Kameo was a pretty great game. Viva Piñata was good. Those games would've been right at home on Nintendo consoles. Sea of Thieves is good too.

I think a lot of their talent left when MS forced them to make MS Miis and MS WiiSports, but it still seems like a pretty solid studio. Nintendo made them shine though, so I'm still pretty sad that they're not with them anymore.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@djoffer123 said:

That being said, anyone claiming super Metroid is a better looking game needs to have their eyes examined…

@hardwenzen destroyed 😆

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@djoffer123 said:

That being said, anyone claiming super Metroid is a better looking game needs to have their eyes examined…

@hardwenzen destroyed 😆

No, not at all. They look incredibly different from eachother. Super Metroid is the best damn looking SNES game ever made, imo. Still looks a lot better than many new 16-bit style games.

Saying Super Metroid looks better than Dread makes sense. Super Metroid delivers amazing 16-bit graphics. Dread does not deliver amazing graphics.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sealionact

@hardwenzen: Yeah I know. Not worth it imo. Rather have 4 months of Gamepass which has better 2d scrollers anyway….or put it towards a good headset, like the Xbox wireless headset😎😂

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

Just take my money Nintendo.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:
@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen destroyed 😆

No, not at all. They look incredibly different from eachother. Super Metroid is the best damn looking SNES game ever made, imo. Still looks a lot better than many new 16-bit style games.

Saying Super Metroid looks better than Dread makes sense. Super Metroid delivers amazing 16-bit graphics. Dread does not deliver amazing graphics.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sealionact

@Litchie: Rare are still bloody good developers….Sea of Thieves Is again the top selling game on Steam, and that was released two years ago.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen destroyed 😆

I don't think i ever said that. But guess what? I will say it now🤭Super Metroid has a great colorful art style. It ages nicely. Dread on the other hand🤢🤮It looks cheap, low budget and created by a developer with no skillful artists.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:
@djoffer123 said:

@hardwenzen destroyed 😆

What's funny? That Dread doesn't deliver amazing graphics? So.. you don't play many games?

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2253 Posts

@hardwenzen: come on now, your trolling is usually better than this!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Litchie
@sealionact said:

@Litchie: Rare are still bloody good developers….Sea of Thieves Is again the top selling game on Steam, and that was released two years ago.

Indeed they are. I just wish they made more stuff.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Litchie

@djoffer123 said:

I'm a huge Nintendo and Metroid fan, and even I don't consider that trolling. Casey's the troll here.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

I feel like spamming Ori gifs every time i see fauxcasey praise Dread. How many light years away is Dread when compared to Ori visuals? God damn the difference is insane. I would borrow a Switch just to play a Metroid game that looked this good.

Nintendo the Metroid's prison.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@djoffer123 said:

I am not too sure what you want to hear from me. Super Metroid looks better. If that's trolling for you, then it tells me that i hurt your feelings a bit by not agreeing with you that Dread looks anywhere near "good". It has an ugly art direction. It looks cheap, like $4.99-9.99 cheap.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@djoffer123 said:

I'm a huge Nintendo and Metroid fan, and even I don't consider that trolling. Casey's the troll here.

You literally just claimed Super Metroid was better looking than Dread.

Seek an eye exam or some other form of intervention immediately. 😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardwenzen

@casey-wegner: My vision is fine, thanks. You seem to not understand what's an art direction, so you might wanna google it, bud.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

@casey-wegner: My vision is fine, thanks. You seem to not understand what's an art direction, so you might wanna google it, bud.

That was a reply to Litchie.

Did you forget to log out of your Litchie account? 😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

That was a reply to Litchie.

Did you forget to log out of your Litchie account? 😆

He owns everything from Nintendo. The last thing i owned from Nintendo was a GC and gameboy SP like 15 years ago🤭

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

I feel like spamming Ori gifs every time i see fauxcasey praise Dread. How many light years away is Dread when compared to Ori visuals? God damn the difference is insane. I would borrow a Switch just to play a Metroid game that looked this good.

Nintendo the Metroid's prison.

Looks like a super colorful babby game. Art direction is also messy, cheap, cluttered and hard to discern what's going on.

Doesn't have Dreads coolness factor, budget, focus, style, level design or combat.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

You know what Mr Casey, by posting Ori gifs and pics in your spammy Dread threads, i kinda want to play Ori now😁As soon as i get a gpu, ill get one month of GP and do an Ori2 playthrough. With your Dread spam threads, you're actually helping Microsoft🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner: And he is talking about Ori looking like a "baby" game🤭

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

You know what Mr Casey, by posting Ori gifs and pics in your spammy Dread threads, i kinda want to play Ori now😁As soon as i get a gpu, ill get one month of GP and do an Ori2 playthrough. With your Dread spam threads, you're actually helping Microsoft🤣

Only an Ori playing babby would think these threads have any effect on MS 🤣

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@djoffer123 said:

Bit annoying to explain this to a troll, but here goes anyway.

"Saying Super Metroid looks better than Dread makes sense. Super Metroid delivers amazing 16-bit graphics. Dread does not deliver amazing graphics."

The above statement by me doesn't mean that Super Metroid looks more technically advanced graphics wise, and that I'm borderline blind and can't see pixels. It's made for very old hardware, so how could it look more advanced? But the art direction is better in Super Metroid (in my opinion). Looking at the technical aspect and what was available at the time, Super Metroid also has more impressive 16-bit graphics for that era, than Dread has impressive 2.5D graphics in this era.

I can also understand people saying it looks cheap, since there are currently much better looking 2.5D games on the market that never cost 60 bucks. Metroid Dread could've owned these games graphics wise by having a better artstyle, but since it's currently going for the same artsyle as many other games that exist on better hardware, it was already outclassed in the graphics department the moment it was shown.

@casey-wegner said:

Ori is great, mr. troll.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

I tried to use my crystal ball to see into the future whether Metroid Dread will be the best in series, but then I realized I haven't changed the batteries in years on this thing and it's not turning on.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@djoffer123 said:

Bit annoying to explain this to a troll, but here goes anyway.

"Saying Super Metroid looks better than Dread makes sense. Super Metroid delivers amazing 16-bit graphics. Dread does not deliver amazing graphics."

The above statement by me doesn't mean that Super Metroid looks more technically advanced graphics wise, and that I'm borderline blind and can't see pixels. It's made for very old hardware, so how could it look more advanced? But the art direction is better in Super Metroid (in my opinion). Looking at the technical aspect and what was available at the time, Super Metroid also has more impressive 16-bit graphics for that era, than Dread has impressive 2.5D graphics in this era.

I can also understand people saying it looks cheap, since there are currently much better looking 2.5D games on the market. Metroid Dread could've owned these games graphics wise by having a better artstyle, but since it's currently going for the same artsyle as many other games that exist on better hardware, it was already outclassed in the graphics department the moment it was shown.

@casey-wegner said:

Ori is great, mr. troll.

You have a narrow view of graphics. Dread is slicker in the animation/combat department than any of these so called competitors, 60 fps, and has some of the smoothest 2D to 3D transitions ever seen. It's foreboding visuals are meant to evoke a feeling of dread and isolation, and are tailored to give you an optimal, clear view of the action which assists you in the depth of combat.

Ori looks like someone puked up a million colors and effects on the screen at once and it's difficult to discern what's going on. Nintendo would never go for that with Metroid. It's clutter. It goes against their design philosophy for the franchise.

I'm not sure what other spectacular sidescrollers you're talking about. I'm sure there are many good looking ones out there but few that will be as good Dread as a total package.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Litchie

I mean...

To me, this fan concept art for Samus Returns:

Looks way the hell better than this.

Samus Returns looks better than that in motion, but seewhattamean?

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:

I mean...

To me, this fan concept art for Samus Returns:

Looks way the hell better than this.

Obviously fan concept art is going to look better than a fuzzy sub hd 3DS game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:

But being pixel graphics, Samus Returns on 3DS could probably look like that, or very close to that, if it had a better artstyle.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

I think so, but I was never a huge Metroid fan.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:

But being pixel graphics, Samus Returns on 3DS could probably look like that, or very close to that, if it had a better artstyle.

Nintendo is not just going to make a sprite based metroid to appease the pixel nostalgists out there. Actually, if you look at Dread and Returns, the action is meant to blend seamlessly from pseudo 3D to sidescrolling segments. They wouldn't be able to pull that off with pixels and thus the game would not live up to their vision. For a Nintendo fan, you seem to lack the deeper context of their design philosophy, which is always function before form.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Litchie

@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:

Nintendo is not just going to make a sprite based metroid to appease the pixel nostalgists out there. Actually, if you look at Dread and Returns, the action is meant to blend seamlessly from pseudo 3D to sidescrolling segments. They wouldn't be able to pull that off with pixels and thus the game would not live up to their vision.

True. But I'm not sure that's a part of the game that is especially good anyway, and some other dev might've been able to make something cooler.

We'll see.. I don't think Dread looks bad, and I'm hyped as shit for more Metroid.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:
@Litchie said:
@casey-wegner said:

Nintendo is not just going to make a sprite based metroid to appease the pixel nostalgists out there. Actually, if you look at Dread and Returns, the action is meant to blend seamlessly from pseudo 3D to sidescrolling segments. They wouldn't be able to pull that off with pixels and thus the game would not live up to their vision.

True. But I'm not sure that's a part of the game that is especially good anyway, and some other dev might've been able to make something cooler.

We'll see.. I don't think Dread looks bad, and I'm hyped as shit for more Metroid.

You should watch the treehouse segments if you haven't already, and that's just scratching the surface. This game is going to blow minds when all is said and done.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Litchie

@casey-wegner said:

You should watch the treehouse segments if you haven't already, and that's just scratching the surface. This game is going to blow minds when all is said and done.

I did, but stopped when a boss came. Don't wanna spoil too much. It's already an insta-buy, don't need to see more.