Wii u is basically the gamecube over again Right?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Gamecube had not only a better game library , it also had a bigger game library.

and last but not least, the gamecube was quite a powerfull system in its generation, the wii u was barely better than 6-7 year old consoles. The next year it was already blown out the water of the next gen consoles.

The wii u is a failure , the gamecube a hidden gem

so no they're not comparable, not even slightly.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

GameCube was so much better it isn't even funny.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#53 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17810 Posts

The Gamecube actually had some really good games. Can't say the same for the Wii U.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Looks at GameCube game library...look at Wii U game library ...err nope. :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Except everything but the resolution is better on Gamecube. Wii-U was... well it wasn't that good.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#56 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts
Loading Video...

hardware wise, gamecube was the oposite of wii u ,

i think nintendo makes stupid choices all the time and thats why they are leaving the home console market, they've hit the jackpot with wii but that was it

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Not even close.

Its funny how the most appealing game to me on the Wii U is a Gamecube game (windwaker)

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

@n64dd said:

Had pikmin, a 3d mario, sharing a zelda with the next system.

Sounds about right.

Except that the gamecube had its own major Zelda installment called Wind Waker, unlike the WiiU which dies with absolutely no zelda of its own, unthinkable, it had neither zelda nor metroid of its own. Breath of the Wild will be Switch's Zelda, not WiiU's.

The WiiU really died without honor.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

Lol, no. As others have already said. The Gamecube was better.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#60  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

The GameCube outshines the Wii U in almost every way. The GameCube hardware was powerful for its time, whereas the Wii U hardware was weak for its time. And more importantly, the GameCube had a much stronger software library, both in terms of first-party and third-party software. The GameCube also outsold the Wii U. Even in terms of innovation, the GameCube's innovations like wireless controllers and Remote Play were widely adopted by its competitors, whereas the Wii U's tablet controller never caught on.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#61 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@Infinity8378 said:

Except theres not Factor 5

Bayonetta 2=Resident Evil 4

Take it away, Homer.

Otherwise, let's wait until the revisionists arrive at the Switch launch.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@Infinity8378: You're joking, right?

GameCube at least had more than just Pokken with Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat, I haven't played Pokken to comment on if it's good but I'm honestly not interested in playing that game.

Rogue Squadron>>>>>Star Fox Zero, plus GCN had Assault.

TimeSplitters 2 is an FPS and Xenoblade X is an RPG, two completely different genres.

I haven't played the Assassin's Creed games but I'd rather have 2 of the Prince of Persia games over those (I didn't like Warrior Within).

I can't think of a single genre that the Wii U surpasses the GameCube in since there's really no competition.

Ah yes, the 3D Mortal Kombats... which got nothing but flak from the MK community and resorted into MK9.

Star Fox Assault. Again, like 3D MK, was widely disliked by it's community.

What's the next defense? Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#63 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

What is this weird thread? No, the GC wasn't underpowered. The Wii U didn't get a Wave Race or a 1080 Snowboarding or a Metriod game. The GC had way better 3rd party support. The Wii U is very different from the GC. Why is this thread still going? Close this thread.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#64  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Don't tell me you're going to try to defend the Wii U, GameCube blows it out of the water.

I've never played Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow looks terrible and Heroes looks mediocre so I'm not going to use that kind of shitty defense. If you want to mention Wii U Sonic titles, go ahead and mention the even bigger failure that was Sonic Boom, be my guest.

Star Fox Assault was actually trying to do something different with the franchise with on-foot gameplay, whereas Zero did nothing new besides try to be exactly like Star Fox 64 and incorporate gyro controls which were widely disliked. Sure, the on-foot gameplay controls could have been better in Assault, but that's the step the franchise needs to take since having only Arwing gameplay is starting to get tiring. At least the Arwing missions in Assault were fun and controlled very well, can't say the same about Zero. All it did was try to be Star Fox 64 20 years later with crappy gyro controls.

I've barely played Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance so I don't have an opinion on it, but at least the GameCube had them, unlike the Wii U which was ignored and again, got zero third party support. I'd much rather be able to play Mortal Kombat and third party games on a system than have nothing at all.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@nintendoboy16: Don't tell me you're going to try to defend the Wii U, GameCube blows it out of the water.

I've never played Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow looks terrible and Heroes looks mediocre so I'm not going to use that kind of shitty defense. If you want to mention Wii U Sonic titles, go ahead and mention the even bigger failure that was Sonic Boom, be my guest.

Star Fox Assault was actually trying to do something different with the franchise with on-foot gameplay, whereas Zero did nothing new besides try to be exactly like Star Fox 64 and incorporate gyro controls which were widely disliked. Sure, the on-foot gameplay controls could have been better in Assault, but that's the step the franchise needs to take since having only Arwing gameplay is starting to get tiring. At least the Arwing missions in Assault were fun and controlled very well, can't say the same about Zero. All it did was try to be Star Fox 64 20 years later with crappy gyro controls.

I've barely played Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance so I don't have an opinion on it, but at least the GameCube had them, unlike the Wii U which was ignored and again, got zero third party support. I'd much rather be able to play Mortal Kombat and third party games on a system than have nothing at all.

Like other defenses I'm seeing for the GameCube (and I say this as a fan of the console pre-2006, before it became cool to re-enact the Bus Tour scene from Family Guy's Road to Europe with it), you're defending it on grounds that make the situation look like it's better to be punched in the face than kicked in the crotch.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bowserjr123

@nintendoboy16: Whatever you say dude, but the consensus here still stands that the GameCube is way better than the Wii U, everyone on here has valid points about it so I wouldn't exactly refer to the GameCube or those games as being "punched in the face" since it was a good system and has more titles to back it up.

Let's see...GameCube had Resident Evil 4, 2 god-tier Metroid games, Soul Calibur II, its own Zelda installment, F-Zero GX, Wave Race, Fire Emblem, Rogue Squadron, TimeSplitters, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, two Pikmin games, Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time, Mario Party 4, 2 Super Monkey Ball games, and many more. Punch in the face? Far from the truth and I didn't even list Star Fox Assault, Sonic, or the Mortal Kombat games in there.

Can't say the same about the Wii U so you could consider it a "kick in the balls" if you want.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@nintendoboy16: Whatever you say dude, but the consensus here still stands that the GameCube is way better than the Wii U, everyone on here has valid points about it so I wouldn't exactly refer to the GameCube or those games as being "punched in the face" since it was a good system and has more titles to back it up.

Let's see...GameCube had Resident Evil 4, 2 god-tier Metroid games, Soul Calibur II, its own Zelda installment, F-Zero GX, Wave Race, Fire Emblem, Rogue Squadron, TimeSplitters, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, two Pikmin games, Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time, Mario Party 4, 2 Super Monkey Ball games, and many more. Punch in the face? Far from the truth and I didn't even list Star Fox Assault, Sonic, or the Mortal Kombat games in there.

Can't say the same about the Wii U so you could consider it a "kick in the balls" if you want.

Have you forgotten that the GameCube was the most disliked console of it's era? It's exactly why I bring up revisionism and why I compare it to that scene, because due to hate for the Wii and Wii U, they're trying to forget that ever happened (yeah, where were those late defenders when GC fans were getting burned like a burning Terran base against a bunch of Zergs in a game of Starcraft).

Point to how many games you want, it doesn't change history.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 bowserjr123

@nintendoboy16: That wasn't my point, I was comparing it to the Wii U which is the whole point of this thread. I get that it only sold slightly over 20 million units and that it didn't have features that its competitors had (DVD player, better online modes, and bigger discs) that hurt its sales, but that still didn't prevent it from getting awesome games. GameCube was a powerhouse and in the games department, it put up a hell of a fight. It competed against the highest-selling console of all time, so it definitely held its own ground.

Again, I can't say the same thing about the Wii U. Not only did it sell even worse, but it had lackluster third party support and a sub par first party lineup. I was quite happy playing my GCN and GBA for quite a while and didn't play any PS2 games until later when Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii and Wii U and started going more casual. Nowadays, I get my gaming fix primarily from my PS3 (catching up on games and haven't bought a PS4 yet for that reason) since the Wii U was such a disappointment.

You can keep saying that the GameCube got its hate all you want which I won't deny, but it doesn't prevent it from being a good system.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@nintendoboy16: That wasn't my point, I was comparing it to the Wii U which is the whole point of this thread. I get that it only sold slightly over 20 million units and that it didn't have features that its competitors had (DVD player, better online modes, and bigger discs) that hurt its sales, but that still didn't prevent it from getting awesome games. GameCube was a powerhouse and in the games department, it put up a hell of a fight. It competed against the highest-selling console of all time, so it definitely held its own ground.

Again, I can't say the same thing about the Wii U. Not only did it sell even worse, but it had lackluster third party support and a sub par first party lineup. I was quite happy playing my GCN and GBA for quite a while and didn't play any PS2 games until later when Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii and Wii U and started going more casual. Nowadays, I get my gaming fix primarily from my PS3 (catching up on games and haven't bought a PS4 yet for that reason) since the Wii U was such a disappointment.

You can keep saying that the GameCube got its hate all you want which I won't deny, but it doesn't prevent it from being a good system.

Hating modern Nintendo because of their casual approach? Well, you're gonna hate the Switch too because that's they're aiming for (as they should if they want to appeal to the general public again, which they don't). Hate to break it to you.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#70 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

Saleswise, probably; but no, the gamecube had more games in quantity and quality, from first and third party developers.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 bowserjr123

@nintendoboy16: I don't agree with that since I'm pretty hyped about the Switch. With the rumors going around about the games coming out, I don't see a single Wii ____ title or a mini game collection so far. Switch looks infinitely better than the Wii and Wii U since it's not focusing on gimmicks, it will be using primarily traditional controls, it's clearly aimed at an adult audience based on the trailer, and has tons of third parties praising it, especially Bethesda (inb4 Wii U situation). Nintendo is definitely embarrassed about the Wii U and they are clearly changing their game to get fans back on board.

How does having Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest X & XI, a true 3D Mario, Skyrim, a possible Beyond Good and Evil remaster, Nonabunga's Ambition, ports of the most popular Wii U titles, and whatever is unannounced make it a casual system?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@nintendoboy16: I don't agree with that since I'm pretty hyped about the Switch. With the rumors going around about the games coming out, I don't see a single Wii ____ title or a mini game collection so far. Switch looks infinitely better than the Wii and Wii U since it's not focusing on gimmicks, it will be using primarily traditional controls, it's clearly aimed at an adult audience based on the trailer, and has tons of third parties praising it, especially Bethesda (inb4 Wii U situation). Nintendo is definitely embarrassed about the Wii U and they are clearly changing their game to get fans back on board.

How does having Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest X & XI, a true 3D Mario, Skyrim, a possible Beyond Good and Evil remaster, Nonabunga's Ambition, ports of the most popular Wii U titles, and whatever is unannounced make it a casual system?

Mario and Zelda! MARIO and ZELDA! That's ALL you need to know. Mario especially when it's just BARELY holding on to it's household name status. How can they aim for an "adult" audience if they're still strapping freaking Mario and Zelda (and likely Pokemon) to the damn thing? This is how any "Mature" appeal of past Nintendo consoles (not counting the N64, mainly because of Rare and Acclaim's Turok games) is overlooked. That's part of the reason why you don't see the likes of Eternal Darkness and Bayonetta 2 (speaking of which, after the LEGO City port announcement, I have a bad feeling about that latter) get very popular.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bowserjr123

@nintendoboy16: How is the whole console casual with just Mario and Zelda? That makes no sense, especially since these are the reasons why many people are gamers in the first place and Breath of the Wild looks like one of the most ambitious games ever which appeals to "hardcore" gamers. Also, it'd be foolish to think that Nintendo only has Mario and Zelda in development since those are both planned to be released by next year.

According to the rumors, the 3D Mario is supposed to be like Super Mario 64 & Banjo Tooie which is what many fans want (myself included). 3D World was a disappointment because that's not what fans are looking for in a 3D Mario game.

They're clearly aiming for an adult audience based on the trailer alone since there were no kids in it, the portability aspect appeals to the adult lifestyle and the games I mentioned, again, appeal to core gamers. The Wii U proved that the casuals didn't stick around and Nintendo is looking to get their fans back.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 nintendoboy16  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

@nintendoboy16: How is the whole console casual with just Mario and Zelda? That makes no sense, especially since these are the reasons why many people are gamers in the first place and Breath of the Wild looks like one of the most ambitious games ever which appeals to "hardcore" gamers. Also, it'd be foolish to think that Nintendo only has Mario and Zelda in development since those are both planned to be released by next year.

According to the rumors, the 3D Mario is supposed to be like Super Mario 64 & Banjo Tooie which is what many fans want (myself included). 3D World was a disappointment because that's not what fans are looking for in a 3D Mario game.

They're clearly aiming for an adult audience based on the trailer alone since there were no kids in it, the portability aspect appeals to the adult lifestyle and the games I mentioned, again, appeal to core gamers. The Wii U proved that the casuals didn't stick around and Nintendo is looking to get their fans back.

That's just how it is. Ever since SEGA and Sony entered the console war, Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon has been seen as "casual, kiddie" crap. And considering they're Nintendo's leading IP's compared to Sony's GoW and MS' Halo (plus third parties like GTA), that brings it down a lot. History repeats itself.

Rumors. Rumors everywhere. Otherwise we know f*** all on the next Mario. For all we know, we're just getting a 3D World port.

You're basing it off actors in a trailer? Seriously? Check what's inside the thing. And given what Nintendo's leading games are, I think we already know what's going to happen.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By bowserjr123

@nintendoboy16: Whoever thinks Zelda games are kiddie crap are delusional, they're clearly aimed for the gaming crowd. Yes, Mario is more "kiddy" than Halo and God of War but that series has some amazing games that appeal to a lot of gamers, as with Pokemon. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and the older Paper Mario games are all appealing to gamers.

Yes, I know they're still rumors and I take them with a grain of salt, but at least they come from accredited sources and they've been right in the past so don't be too surprised if they're true.

Yes, I'm using the trailer to determine the intended demographic because the Wii and Wii U initial trailers both had a specific target audience that Nintendo was aiming for with each system. They design their trailers to display what kind of audience they're appealing to and Switch's was well done. Whether or not that premise will be delivered is uncertain, but at least it's a good stepping stone. Also, Skyrim was included in there for that exact reason.

Check what's inside it? Just like the 3D Mario, we don't know that for sure either, but Nintendo would be extremely foolish to not have a system that can't handle PS4/Xbox One third party ports. I'm doubting that will be the case since the Wii U suffered majorly because of that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jag85

@nintendoboy16 said:
@bowserjr123 said:

Have you forgotten that the GameCube was the most disliked console of it's era?

Do you actually have any statistics to back up such a bold claim?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online

@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

You had to be in that era. Even TVTropes acknowledges that it happened. There are even several forum posts on sever sites asking "why did the GameCube get hate"?

Many kids I went to school with in Jr/Middle School (in the US mind you) hated the thing, because they believed it was lower in graphics than the PS2 and lacked the "adult" feel the other consoles had. They even go as far as siting GTA: San Andreas as having graphics the GC couldn't handle (all it had was the big world, but that was it). Hell, lacking the ability to play DVD movies (which is only a side gimmick I can do without as I have tons of machines that play DVD movies) didn't help either.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Kinda. But Gamecube had much more to offer, and is either Nintendo's best or 2nd best system ever.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Resident Evil 0-4
Pikmin 1 and 2
Smash Bros Melee
Double Dash
Windwaker
Twilight Princess
Megaman X Collection and Anniversary Collection
Star Wars Rouge Squadron 2
Mario Sunshine
Pokemon Colosseum and XD
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Luigi's Mansion
FZero GX
Soul Calibur 2 w/ Link
Eternal Darkness
ports of Dreamcast games- Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga
Metal Gear Solid
Mario Party before it got bad
Kirby AirRide
Beyond Good and Evil
Animal Crossing
Prince of Persia
Good Mario Sports games- Strikers, Baseball, Toadstool Tour, and Power Tennis
Tony Hawk
EA Sports games
I could go on

Holy cow that's a good lineup. Truly one of the best game lineups of all time.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

Nah, GC sucked.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@Willy105 said:

@R4gn4r0k For Mario Galaxy, the Wii controls added a whole new dimension to collecting items and a gameplay element of shooting things via the starbits. This is a gameplay element that could not be done with a standard controller, because Galaxy had you controlling Mario and doing the aiming thing at the same time. With a regular gamepad, you'd have to pause. And of course, Skyward Sword's combat is deeper than any other Zelda thanks to it's motion controls. You cannot get gameplay like that without a button.

@pyro1245 said:

Really? I remember the GC being the last good console Nintendo has made.

GC: standard(ish) controller, good games

Wii U: Gimmicks, ???

It's been a while though so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Never had a WiiU. From GC I remember 2 good Zeldas, Tales of Symphonia, good Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, and the Skies of Arcadia remake.

The Gamecube had a more radical controller than the Wii U. The Wii U controller was just a regular pad with a screen in the middle; the Gamecube abandoned the SNES design that is standard across all consoles today.

If you played in 3rd person shooter in your life you would know moving and shooting is possible. Wii made it easier to aim but not anymore fun

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Jag85

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Jag85 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

You had to be in that era. Even TVTropes acknowledges that it happened. There are even several forum posts on sever sites asking "why did the GameCube get hate"?

Many kids I went to school with in Jr/Middle School (in the US mind you) hated the thing, because they believed it was lower in graphics than the PS2 and lacked the "adult" feel the other consoles had. They even go as far as siting GTA: San Andreas as having graphics the GC couldn't handle (all it had was the big world, but that was it). Hell, lacking the ability to play DVD movies (which is only a side gimmick I can do without as I have tons of machines that play DVD movies) didn't help either.

TV Tropes is a Wiki that anyone can edit, so it's not a reliable source.

Based on my own experience (from across the pond), I remember the GameCube being hated on at my high school (or sixth-form as we call it here) early on in the generation, but later on in the generation, when I was at university, the perception towards the GameCube had changed drastically by that point. It started the generation as a hated console, but ended the generation as a respected console.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#82 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

As much as I love Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, hell no.

On exclusives alone the Cube had 2 Prime games, Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, A Fire Emblem Game.

After that The Cube got 2 Zeldas to WiiU's 1, admittedly that one looks like the best Zelda in ages.

2 Pikmin games to 1.

It got a much better Paper Mario game

It definitely the worse Mario game by comparison.

But then you throw in some multiplats, it had for its time the best version of Resident Evil 4 (an absolutely fantastic game), the remake of Resident Evil 1, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Killer 7, and it still had a library with ports of quality games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 and 4, SSX Tricky, The Twin Snakes. The Wiiu was another Wii, without the commercial success and novelty. It had a respectable group of exclusives, and some under the radar gems, but the library was completely lacking. The cube while a drought machine itself, and outclassed by its contemporaries, had a more respectable library. Better than either of its successors frankly.